PDA

View Full Version : Flybe and Atlantic Flight Training

BHX86
24th Feb 2008, 16:05
I understand that Flybe have a partnership with Atlantic Flight Training similar to some of the Integrated Schools whereby students are put forward for interview to Flybe by the FTO, in this case AFT.

Just wondering, to those of you who may have been put forward or are currently training at AFT:

What are the requirements (if any) that need to be met by the student in order to be put forward for Flybe interview?
How many students have been put forward since the agreement between AFT and BE was set up, and out of those how many have been recruited?
What do BE look for in prospective pilots?
What are the Terms and Conditions of working at Flybe as a cadet, what is the culture like, what is the deal with bonds (i.e. cost, who pays and how long bonded for etc), and what is their salary for low houred pilots?Thanks in advance for your replys people!!

Deano777
24th Feb 2008, 17:12
No experience of AFT but if it's the same agreement with the scheme that my ex flying school has with them then it goes like this.

Requirements? you must have done all your training there, PPL through to IR, groundschool optional. Then you must have done well on all the courses, this would be at the discretion of the CFI I guess.
The scheme does not guarantee you a job, all it does is by-pass the application process putting you near the top of their HUGE pile. It's up to YOU to get the job once you get the interview.

My school are only allowed to recommend 5 per year, 5 per year are not going through.

What do they look for? a bit of generalization here but they must get the feeling they can sit next to you for 8hrs a day, so if you come across as arrogant, a know-all, a big head etc etc you won't get the job.

Terms & conditions working for flybe as a cadet are the same for every f/o there, if you're on the line you're on the line.
Bonds, flybe pay the bond, £13,000, this is a reducing bond over 3 years, you do the maths.
Salary for low houred pilot the same as any f/o joining, year 1 it is about £24,000.

Hope this helps

FougaMagister
24th Feb 2008, 22:46
Not quite. Atlantic Flight Training don't do integrated, so they don't require that you follow PPL til MCC with them before putting you forward to flybe. What they do require is ATPLs, CPL, ME/IR and MCC with them. I know, because having done my ATPLs elsewhere when AFT was only distance-learning, I didn't fit the requirements :* ; "just" CPL+IR there wasn't enough. flybe set the rules.

Nothing to do with being a flybe-sponsored cadet - it's just a way to "fast-track" your application provided you tick all the boxes. flybe don't foot the training bill and make no promises whatsoever. It's obviously also a promotional argument for AFT.

Incidentally, all details are on their website: http://www.flyaft.com/contentok.php?id=195

Cheers :cool:

Deano777
24th Feb 2008, 23:29
Nor is the training organisation I attended an integrated outfit, and the MCC isn't included in that list either.
I did say I didn't know the ruling on the AFT scheme, I was offering the scheme I did as a comparison, albeit slightly different, but then we knew it would be didn't we :)

Slightly different rules from flybe for the modular recommendation scheme, but basically the same concept.

FougaMagister
25th Feb 2008, 01:14
Sorry - my mistake; I thought AFT was the only modular FTO to be a flybe training partner. As you say, same concept, i.e. have someone else do part of the CV sorting for them.

I'm not bitter though; I got myself a better flying job :ok:

Cheers :cool:

Adios
25th Feb 2008, 06:47
AFT is not the only source of Modulars for FlyBe, just the only FTO on their list that is Modular only. I'm pretty sure FlyBe will take Modular grads from Cabair and Oxford, but I'm not sure the schools recommend many Modulars to them, so it may be a matter of battling the herds who apply online. If you want FlyBe and haven't started yet, perhaps FlyBe MAPS at FTE is the way to try first.

shortleg
25th Feb 2008, 07:30
I went to PAT at Bournemouth who now have a relationship with Flybe. After my training (CPL & IR only) I was recommended to Flybe and start next week. :)

Deano777
25th Feb 2008, 09:26
AFT is not the only source of Modulars for FlyBe, just the only FTO on their list that is Modular only

Adios, you are wrong, Aeros Flight Training have the scheme too, because that's how I did it

stranded81
13th Mar 2008, 13:02
Just thought I'd better reply to this one. Myself and a mate trained at AFT in Coventry and were suckered into this scheme. We got nothing out of it.

As far as we were concerned we met the requirements of the scheme; first time passes in your grounds, and flight tests plus a good review from the instructing staff etc. Which we did. But the deal appeared... well it did end as we finished our IRs.

I think about eight people in total got through originally. The last four to be recommended soured the deal as 3 of them failed at interview - ending the scheme for us. As far as I know none have been recommended since.

My mate and I have now spent over a year instructing, both with about 1000 hours each. It is only recently that I got into the hold pool for an airline and so did my mate. All without any help from Atlantic!

Mercenary Pilot
13th Mar 2008, 13:06
British European AKA Flybe have been screwing cadets/wanabees with these type of false promises and schemes for years through the likes of Scabair/Aft/OAT etc. :ugh:

Tango07
13th Mar 2008, 14:56
I wouldn't expect aft to offer any kind of "after sales" service which one could expect from some integrated schools.

If you start with aft now, you'll be joining the back of a long queue of interview candidates in waiting.

dartagnan
13th Mar 2008, 15:34
one of their marketing techniqu to attrack students.
consist to make u belive u will get an airline job at the end of the training.
some trto was offering 100hours of line training after type rating, the condition was if you are good enough.

of course, pilots joined the course and none were good enough to start the line training.

so, don't trust these schools, for what they may offer you in the futur. Go in the school of your choice then apply in the airlines without tinking to much.

:ok:

yellowsubmarine
13th Mar 2008, 15:50
HAHA! I have to admit this thread did make me chuckle!

If, by siome miracle, you manage to complete the training by retirement age with AFT, (although this in itself is an achievement) it will provide NO advantage whatsoever it trying to attain a job with Flybe.

YS

stranded81
13th Mar 2008, 16:03
It was to say the least fairly chaotic at aft.

As I said we got through okay, but I think just though shear determination!

I assume yellowsub that you've just finished there?

OneIn60rule
13th Mar 2008, 16:48
You should forget about Flybe via AFT.

If I recall correctly, around 2 years ago there was a HOLDING pool FOR the HOLDING POOL.

So even if you managed to somehow squeeze yourself in with say a bath tub full of lube and someone to push you in with a force equal to about a billion then just maybe you'd get there.

However, there's easier ways to land a job.

Get some experience in suction and good old arse wetting.

1/60

Dihaz
13th Mar 2008, 18:18
Quite the contrary,

I think AFT are a very good school for what it does.

AFT is a school for students who dont like the regimented and money grabbing attitude of other schools such as OAT, Scabair and CTC.

I did all my training at AFT zero to hero as its called somtimes. Despite some ups and downs which every school has I am overall quite happy with AFT. Only complaint is the after care of students, nevertheless I am being recommended by the CEO to Flybe (lets hope I get in). Flybe currently has 2 schemes with AFT

1. Other flybe cadets from outside AFT are sent there to train them on the JOC course and SOP's

2. Students from AFT are recommended to Flybe and subject to their screening processes which are you have to have done ATPL onwards training with them and psycological crieria which the CEO and your instructors will evaluate.

Working for Flybe is very good as ive heared from other Flybe pilots. Its like the BA or Virgin of the low fare airliners.

Obviously the above scheme is entirely dependant on you. If you get put forward and given the support to pass the interview but you dont then thats your problem.
I have also heared that Flybe had a typerating course this month and they didnt have enough pilots to fill them so they require many pilots.

AFT also has a recommendation scheme running with Air Southwest.

I have taken a lot of time to write all this info out so that people may be aware of the scheme!
PLEASE I DO NOT WANT A SLAGGING OR ANY ARGUMENTS OVER THIS MESSAGE.

CHEERS
GOD SPEED

SYYHerring
13th Mar 2008, 19:19
Have you thought about a 'real' sponsorship scheme, like Highland Airways?
SYY

stranded81
14th Mar 2008, 08:45
You are right atlantic did serve us well, a friendly place that got the job done.

I think we were victims of a unfortunate change in management at the time.

The fact remains the scheme did end, I can't say with any certainty about its reinstatement despite keeping in regular contact with aft. Perhaps my mate and myself have some major personality defects that precluded us from the scheme. Who knows.

Dihaz perhaps you have a better idea?

sawaya
14th Mar 2008, 09:43
for once i agree with you dartnagan.

Mercenary Pilot
14th Mar 2008, 09:46
Working for Flybe is very good as ive heared from other Flybe pilots. Its like the BA or Virgin of the low fare airliners.

I think not. :=

Dihaz
14th Mar 2008, 10:17
stranded81 no you are right the scheme did go stale for a bit but has now been reinstated due to the need for more pilots by flybe.

stranded81
14th Mar 2008, 10:47
Me and tango will wait for our call then!

Deano777
14th Mar 2008, 10:58
British European AKA Flybe have been screwing cadets/wanabees with these type of false promises and schemes for years through the likes of Scabair/Aft/OAT etc. :ugh:

I think you're missing the whole point of these schemes, it is up to AFT who they recommend, not Flybe.
Flybe, together with AFT put the scheme in place for students to get recommendations, thereafter AFT should be vetting the student to put forward using a set criteria given by Flybe. Again all the scheme does is bypass the application process, it's still up to the individual to pass the interview & sim assessment. If AFT aren't putting students forward who's fault is that?

stranded81
14th Mar 2008, 11:05
A fair point.

I just think its slightly misleading to advertise a deal that hasn't existed for a long time.

Dihaz do you know how many people have got an interview through AFT with flybe since August 2006?

escapedATCO
14th Mar 2008, 12:12
I was the 1st person to profit from the agreement worked well for me and several others and certainly the training of AFT must be good enough as we certainly have stacked up well against other f/os.;)

Tango07
14th Mar 2008, 12:32
Dihaz,

If you dig deep enough, you'll find that the last group of people put forward to flybe failed at interview bar 1. That was way back in 06 or early 07 meaning you've just joined the back of a queue of AFT ex-students which spans well over 12 months.

I, along with everyone else, hope the scheme is reinstated but the longer it takes, the less likely I feel I'll be called.

Dihaz
14th Mar 2008, 12:35
Stranded81

I know people that have been put forward but recently, I know of two exceptionally bright students actually that were put forward (turns out they defected from oxford to aft)
1 of them got in and the other got rejected because of his preformance in the sim!

And I know of some people that got jobs through AFT at other airlines.

Mercenary Pilot
14th Mar 2008, 12:41
I'm not missing any points! Flybe allow their name to be used by all these FTO's who then say that they have good relations with BE and have a good chance of gaining employment when they finish training.

In reality, it doesn't matter where you trained (as long as it was to a high standard) and wannabees should choose their FTO based on quality of instruction and CUSTOMER SERVICE, something that is sadly lacking in many of these "linked" schools.

Tango07
14th Mar 2008, 12:42
I was under the impression that you'll only be put forward had you completed all your training at AFT?

EDIT: obviously subject to certin requirements.

stranded81
14th Mar 2008, 13:03
So that's just TWO people that have been put forward since August 2006?

Sounds like "stale for a bit" was an understatement!

Dihaz
14th Mar 2008, 13:38
no if you look back at the message it didnt say they were the only students. The ones i mentioned were some of the students put forward that i knew personally.

stranded81
14th Mar 2008, 13:50
So you did your training at AFT right? And that took say... 12 months or something?

So for this twelve months you didn't happen to know any of the other people put forward to interview? Not even a quick word over a coffee? I pretty much knew everyone when I was there...

Tango07
14th Mar 2008, 13:57
Hi Dihaz,

back to the thread... You've clearly not long since finished training with AFT. In your opinion, how many people have been put forward to flybe in the last year? Out of those people, how many people got places with the company?

as a side note, how many people did AFT place with other airlines and also which airlines?

Regards

Dihaz
14th Mar 2008, 17:20
Stranded81, i have been with AFT for nearly 22months and i have seen it grow from a little flying training club into a large international flying training provider! I do admit that initially i used to know everyone there when it was small but now in every 6 people that would walk past me i would only know 1 person.

There are currently 30-40 Kuwaiti Airways Cadets at AFT and 2 ground school classes of about 20 people each let alone the self sponsered students. They also train Atlantic Airways cadets. Everytime i go now i see new faces. So its not that small outfit that you may have seen some time ago.

And for what you said 'a quick word over coffee', I dont seem to call a 'quick word over coffee' a friendship relationship that would lead me to ask them about their private lives and other information.

Tango007, from the little group of people that i do know now there, there has been about 8 people put forward put i could not tell you how many of them got through as i dont know.

The CEO once told me that he couldnt contemplate putting every single student or anyone that has either good or bad reputation forward, becaue if out of every 15 people he put forward only 5 got in then it would inevitablely look bad on AFT as it would appear he is not putting the standard that flybe are looking for foward. Therefore he said he must carefully select the students that would be recommended.

I was told that i will be put forward to Air Southwest. AFT has many contacts also in the Middle East so im not surprised if they could do somthing in that area.

LOOK GUYS, NOBODY AND THATS NOBODY GUARANTEES YOU ANYTHING NOWADAYS SO YOULL NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET, THERE IS NO POINT ARGUING ABOUT IT.

End of Rant:)

speedrestriction
14th Mar 2008, 22:50
Dihaz,

It is a good place to work but I certainly wouldn't go quite so far as that! In terms of LCCs Flybe are firmly at the bottom of the pay league.

sr

Dihaz
14th Mar 2008, 23:04
speedrestriction, ah yes it may be at the bottom of the pay league for cadets but you cant say the same for its working conditions!

Mercenary Pilot
14th Mar 2008, 23:19
I just noticed that PTC are advertising that they too have a Flybe link. The question must be asked, "Which FTO DONT have links to Flybe?" :}

Good luck job hunters. :ok:

OneIn60rule
15th Mar 2008, 00:09
My point is, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Anyone counting on getting into Flybe through AFT or other and not looking elsewhere or developing other contacts is going to be in for one shocking surprise.

I say again, holding pool for the holding pool and who knows, there's probably another holding pool for the holding pool for the holding pool...

stranded81
15th Mar 2008, 09:06
Dihaz sorry mate I didn't mean to offend you.

I just think you might be a little taken in by this whole thing. The 8 people you speak of, that have been put forward to interview I think I can account for, they were all before me and tango7. If its started again then great good luck to you, I'm sure MM is doing his best to repair the damage done by his predessesor. As for air southwest, I'll see you in plymouth!

Dihaz
15th Mar 2008, 12:00
Im not taking anything personally and nor am i payed by AFT to doll it up:)
Im just saying from what i have experienced and dont worry if my experience turns bad then im sure youll be the first to know.

speedrestriction
15th Mar 2008, 19:25
Dihaz,

but you cant say the same for its working conditions!

Should you get a job with BE, I'd be interested to hear if you have the same point of view after a year or two. I suspect an orange bus would be pretty high on the agenda by then. Or maybe you know better?

sr

Dihaz
16th Mar 2008, 14:00
speedrestriction, dont worry youll be the first to know if my feelings change!