PDA

View Full Version : Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

oncemorealoft
28th Apr 2013, 09:08
Just arrived in Tenerife with the Missus and our two iPads. Both similarly configured but I've managed to log on painlessly to the free hotel wifi and connect to e-mail, Internet etc. wife's iPad is connected to wireless but won't connect any further. Mail won't update, web page says "server not responding". I did find 'my iPad' to see if hers was visible to the network but it says the iPad not active. Any thoughts as to what is wrong much appreciated.

mixture
28th Apr 2013, 09:45
I would stop responding too if I found myself in Tenerife. :E

Can she browse the internet ? Is it only her email causing problems ?

CapErosaM
28th Apr 2013, 10:26
Select the Wifi network and then go to "Renew Lease"
If that doesn't work select "Forget Network" and try again.

That may solve the problem, hopefully.

Finbarr
28th Apr 2013, 10:38
That doesn't solve the problem - I don't like or use Safari!

oncemorealoft
28th Apr 2013, 13:13
Thanks everyone. I'm now hero for fixing wife's iPad!::D

XX621
28th Apr 2013, 19:48
A lot of hotel wifi systems restrict wifi connections using the same login details to one device only.

When I say "same login details" I mean the username/password you were given at reception then have to enter (irritatingly) prior to every internet session.

Have you managed to connect to the wifi using any other device? Does the hotel require you to enter username/password on connection?

Just a thought.

pudoc
29th Apr 2013, 02:24
I use an ethernet to connect to my Macbook Pro (late 2011 OSX 10.8.2) and then use internet sharing to create a WiFi hotspot for my other devices (iPad and an Android phone).

Took me a while to get it working, and then I pulled out my ethernet cable to move about and put it back in. Since then my hotspot won't work. I've tried creating a new one with different passwords and name but no luck.

Basically, the devices that connect to it always report an "excellent" signal, and so it should as these devices are no more than a couple of inches from the Macbook. However, since pulling out the cable it reports "excellent" but the second I ask the device to connect to the hotspot it changes to "poor" and no device can connect to it. It attempts to, first it states "connecting..." then literally a second later "click to connect" (as if it has no idea I asked it to connect) then back to "connecting..." and this is a constant cycle.

All devices including Macbook restarted many times, all routers and access points have been restarted, I've restored default network settings on all 3 devices and still no luck.

Really baffles me how it reports a poor signal despite being right next to the hotspot. I was thinking the main reason it can't connect is maybe it can't issue an IP address to the devices, assuming the fact the poor signal is just spurious. Any ideas?

s_bakmeijer
29th Apr 2013, 04:40
Try updating the firmware. Had same issue with a tp-link hotspot. I bought 2x of these hotspots. Only 1 required the firmware update

ExXB
29th Apr 2013, 09:19
If you are using Safari won't you find your password under Safari --> Preferences --> Passwords?

Daria
9th Jul 2013, 03:58
If you are using Safari won't you find your password under Safari --> Preferences --> Passwords?

Only if you have saved it in Safari Passwords. . .I don't use that preference, as I have a password manager : https://agilebits.com/onepassword

Groundbased
26th Jul 2013, 14:18
Stupidly updated my iPhone 4 to 6.1.3 today. I should have known better.

Edited to add I have resolved this. You have to add the account with wifi disabled. Christ knows why!

Post upgrade I cannot get my IMAP email at all. I have deleted the accounts and set them up again with exactly the same settings as before. No dice. Hard reboot and reset also make no difference. I haven't done a factory reset as I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) go through the bother of restoring a backup. The error I get is that the server mail.livemail.co.uk is not responding.

Gmail is OK but all my other accounts have stopped working. Extensive googling has shown that lots of people have had problems with Gmail, but I can't find anything on IMAP accounts.

I've tried different email clients too, but they must use Ios to connect to mail servers because I get the same problem with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's very frustrating.

Nervous SLF
22nd Mar 2016, 19:15
SWMBO has just downloaded an Apple update to her iPad Air and now she is unable to log-in. She uses her e-mail address and what was her recent password but she keeps being refused access.

Any suggestions are most welcome please. She has tried phoning Apple here in NZ but they are closed.

UPDATE:- Apple NZ support talked her through it and now all is well THANK GOODNESS!!!!

Fareastdriver
22nd Mar 2016, 21:09
She's lucky. My wife has the same problem. She has booked an appointment with the local Apple store for Thursday morning otherwise she could wait in the queue for hours.