PDA

View Full Version : Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Miserlou
5th Jun 2009, 15:04
Very happy with new iMac. 4 months now.
I use NeoOffice which works as well as I need it too. Read- haven't yet found anything it doesn't do.

Miserlou
5th Jun 2009, 18:26
Hmmmm!
Having a problem with a Xerox Phaser 6110 which goes on to pause whenever I try to print and says somehing about 'unable to read document'.

I tried updating software but only managed to get a response when I re-installed the software package. This is obviously not a workable solution.

It won't do anything at all from the Windows PC which I re-installed Bonjour onto to try and fix it.

Any help appreciated.
OX10.4

BeechNut
5th Jun 2009, 19:02
Beware Office for Mac 2008. Word on it positively sucks. Numerous crashes in one case all my saved files were corrupted killing an entire day's work.

Moreover in Excel, there is no more macro support. That really sucks, the nice W&B program I had written for my plane no longer works.

I strongly recommend if you go Office, you use the previous version. Stay away from 2008. It isn't even beta-level quality. Or use iWork.

With the latest Intel machines you can always use Boot Camp to run Windows natively as well. I do that and use VMWare which can pick up the Boot Camp partition and open a Windows session in OS X. You can even blot out the Windows background and run the Windows app to look just like an open window on OS X with an icon on the app bar as well. But to work effectively you need 4 GB of RAM. I do have the odd Windows app that I must run, so that's a very important feature for me. The advantage to doing it this way is that if you really do need to run Windows natively, you can.

seekayess
6th Jun 2009, 10:20
I work on 10.4.11.

I have just installed Skype, which I use once in a while.

My problem is that Skype starts up whenever I start up the laptop.

Could someone please point me to how to avoid this?

Thanks.

Tim00
6th Jun 2009, 10:25
Probably System Preferences/Accounts then look at Login Items. If it's there, then remove it. Note that the ticks indicate that the app should be hidden on login; the don't mean load or not load.

seekayess
6th Jun 2009, 10:38
Thanks, Tim00: I knew it was something quite simple but had forgotten how to do it!

:ok:
:D

Wonderworld
8th Jun 2009, 13:41
Cbuck the not so mighty mouse in the bin. Thats where it belongs imho. I use a Logitech with more buttons to customise which I use for exposé.

I upgraded to the new top spec 24" iMac a few weeks ago from a 20" iMac and fell in love all over again :)

mutt
8th Jun 2009, 15:21
I moved to the Mac world about a month ago, based upon suggestions in this thread i downloaded NeoOffice, got to admit that i love it. It actually converts spreadsheets and presentations much better than MS Office with Arabic support.

Mutt

mustpost
9th Jun 2009, 18:19
Hi, love Mac, used to use it a lot in previous work, Big problem - client not content with DVD made on imac (not mine) now needs a meejaplayer avi,wmv, etc file from the Quicktime I have produced - which is 10.6 gb.
Suggestions for a suitable converter please? Thanks to this site now a happy user of Super (for windows) but need sumfink similar for the posh machine...
Cheers

AppleMacster
9th Jun 2009, 18:31
mustpost,

This might work: Veescope Hub (http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookSite/VeeScope/Products/VeescopeHub/VeescopeHub.Overview.html)

It will do avi.

Applemacster.

Tim00
9th Jun 2009, 18:45
Sorry, I can't work out from your post what you actual question is. Is the DVD intended for playback in a domestic (non-computer) player, for a start?

If it's a computer DVD, then it's likely that they don't have the correct decoder (likely to be one of the MPEG-4 family. Avoid AVI (which is essentially a container for many formats) if you can, since it's (yet another) deliberate attempt by Microsoft to lock out competing technology.

mustpost
9th Jun 2009, 19:03
:O Er I have edited the whole thang in Avid Xpress Pro 5.8, normally no probs to burn to any format/region DVD, but this time it's on a small Mac, not networked, need to convert it on the machine..'cos they now want it to play as part of a PowerPissPoorPoint
Ta for the input

Mike

Tim00
9th Jun 2009, 19:37
These things are a bit of a minefield, & I'm not a video expert. I'm only guessing (and may be wrong), but I suspect your Quicktime on the Mac has encoded with some kind of MPEG-4 that that the playback machine does not have. I'm not sure from what you say whether the target is Windows or OS X.

The best utility that I know of for troubleshooting this kind of thing (Windows only) is Gspot GSpot Codec Information Appliance (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) which (on Windows) will show you what you have installed, and also for a specific video file, what is actually required to play it.

On OS X (and Windows), VLC player will give you quite a lot of information (somewhere in the media stream / information settings; I don't currently have a copy to hand to check).

Have a look in the settings for Avid Xpress (I've never used it) & see what it's encoding with. If it's H264, for example, then DivX is a good candidate if the target is Windows.

Sorry to be vague but that's about the limit of my experience.

mustpost
9th Jun 2009, 19:54
Yup, :D, thanks Tim for getting back so quick, H264, and old divvix was next port of call - breaking news for students of this post, will call back in an hour

papazulu
10th Jun 2009, 09:44
Hi folks!

Very tempted these days (due to probably fatal motherboard failure) to jump ship and bite the Apple but I have few concerns...

I am a fairly experienced CorelDRAW, Photoshop & Adobe suite user (not a professional one though) and I am a bit concern about availability of these packages as well as MS Word and Excel as they are the basis for my CV & Logbook.

Anyone that can share his/her experience even through PMs?

Many thanks

PZ :ok:

Senior Pilot
10th Jun 2009, 10:03
Photoshop, Adobe Suite and MS Office are all fine through OS X, Office as per previous comments.

No idea about Corel, though.

Jet II
10th Jun 2009, 12:26
I am a fairly experienced CorelDRAW, Photoshop & Adobe suite user (not a professional one though) and I am a bit concern about availability of these packages as well as MS Word and Excel as they are the basis for my CV & Logbook.

CorelDraw is not available for OSX - as you are used to Adobe products then the obvious alternative is Adobe Illustrator.

longarm
11th Jun 2009, 14:30
I'm trying to sync email to my better halfs iphone but coming up against a few problems. Problem is this, we have an mobile me account with two alias' one for her and one for me. My mail arrives and stays in the inbox and hers goes into a subfolder by way of a rule that redirects it. Works great on the imac. However when syncing the iphone/imac she only receives whats in the inbox. Can't work out how to get her folder to the iphone. I know that her folder is stored locally on the imac but is their anway it will sync?

ThreadBaron
14th Jun 2009, 15:36
OK! Staring at the beauty that is my (sorry, 'our') new 24" IMac is getting me no nearer a wireless connection! The Imac is telling me that access requires a WEP password, whereas the router has 'Security Disabled' which was the only way I could give access to Sammi for her laptop while she stayed with us when at Goldsmiths' College. Even activating WEP and using a password won't give me access.

Thoughts. oh Oracle?

Tim00
14th Jun 2009, 15:57
Assuming that you're actually trying to connect to your own router (sorry to state the bleedin' obvious), then make sure the router isn't set to only allow specific MAC (as in hardware, not Apple Mac) addresses to connect. It won't have been set like that by default, but some people do turn on MAC-filtering.

Other than that, I've seen odd problems that sound exactly like this with some routers like this, but only with Windows machines. Do you have other machines that can connect wirelessly? Are you running any VPN or network software on your Mac? It's not an old router that doesn't support 802.11g?

Are you broadcasting your SSID, and can your Mac see it? Again, some people 'hide' their network SSIDs, however this doesn't really offer any security, since many network tools will still find them.

You may of course know all this; apologies if so.

ThreadBaron
14th Jun 2009, 17:16
Tim

Yes, I am trying to connect to my own router. And no, you were not stating the obvious. ;) Yes, it supports 11g and 11b. Yes, the SSID is being broadcast.

How do I find out the MAC of the IMac? Then I could add it manually.

ThreadBaron
14th Jun 2009, 17:30
Turned Access Control 'Off'. Connection made!:ok: And to prove it here I am.

Not a lot of security involved though. How important/'dangerous' is this?

Tim00
14th Jun 2009, 18:52
Simplest way to find you MAC address is System Preferences/Network and then it's listed under the "Airport ID" heading.

(Here follows a bit of a stream of consciousness, owing to a bit too much beer on an empty stomach), and is all somewhat of a simplification. Regarding security, it depends. If you live more than a couple of hundred yards from anyone else, then I'd not worry at all (unless you're a Famous Person). If you're in a block of flats surrounded by teenage computer nerds, then it's more of a worry. The level of risk depends on many things.

I'd say: Set a decent access password on your router, so that if someone gets in, they can't lock you out of your own network. Then try to get some kind of security running somehow. Now that you've connected, try to turn on some level in the router: pehaps WEP, or ideally WPA. Reboot everything (router & computers) & check it all still works. Swear a bit if it helps.

I wonder if the password thing might be a misunderstanding between what WEP & WPA reqire: Generally, if you specify WEP (Which is an older standard), then keys are 26 hex digits (0..9, a..f), whereas WPA are 'proper' passwords. This might be a clue?

Macs are generally far more secure than any Windows machines (for several reasons), so the main danger to you I'd say is someone getting into your LAN by connecting to your router since there's no security. If they *can't* get onto your LAN, then (assuming your router is reasonable) then they can't affect your machines (unless the machines have opened ports to the Internet from themselves, such as some games etc. do), or you allow websites to install dodgy software etc.

If people do connect to your LAN, then if you have a strong password on the router, then the shouldn't be able to break your LAN, however you are then reliant on the strength of your computers (running Linux or Mac OS helps here). The best solution is multiple layers: Good Operating System (not Windows), don't run in an Admin account, run a firewall.

Personally, I run a mix of Macs, Linux & Even XP (with no anti-virus software at all) on my LAN, I broadcast my SSID (network address), using the old 128-bit WEP security (relative simply crackable if you really want to). I've never had trouble (and I've been using the internet since the early '90s), but then again, I know my neighbours (& having set some of their computers up for them, I know what they *don't* know.).

seekayess
17th Jun 2009, 07:46
I function on my iBook G4, without any serious hassles.

The other day, I upgraded the iTunes and Safari for my wife on her PC with the latest versions available.

I find that I am now beset with sound problems on the iTunes there: as any song/ tune is playing, the sound keeps going off and on intermittently, in no discernible pattern. All speaker connections are OK -- the power light to the external speakers does NOT keep going on/off -- so it is not that. I have pulled out the connection to the CPU and put it back -- no difference.

Whilst I am not good at trouble shooting on a PC at all (having never really used one! -- always a Mac-person for the last 22 years!!) I am foxed with this problem.

So, two questions:

1. What is the problem here?
2. Should this question be posed by me on the parallel PC thread? &
3. Am I being paranoid or do some of you agree that this is a problem of someone of Bill Gates' nerds interfering with the functioning of Apple software on PCs?

shinobi1
22nd Jun 2009, 13:49
I'm in the same situation as you. I use Macs and my wife is still on PCs. :ugh:

Without knowing specifics about your wifes pc, It is hard to narrow the problem down. I'd be tempted to post on the pc page as well (In case you havn't already?)

I know you mentioned gaps in the music, but is it skipping or lagging? If skipping, I would think it's to do with the audio side of things. If it's lagging, it could be to do with a memory problem?

Have you 'run diagnostics' (In the help column.)

Hope this helps?

Shinobi

seekayess
22nd Jun 2009, 17:10
Ta ever, shinobi1

As you had guessed, I had posted this on a thread for PCs in this Forum.

Honestly speaking, I was at a loss how to decipher what was required of me to do! But someone advised me to check all connections etc.

So, I methodically did that: powered off and disconnected the speakers, re-loaded the iTunes. Blew into the connectors, reconnected, powered up and volia! It worked!! :ok::ok:

Never look onto the mouth of a gift horse, me Dad used to tell me! So, I have left well enough alone -- and a happy SWMBO!

Juud
24th Jun 2009, 18:12
(weird, why is ordering a new computer so scary? ...afeared of the inevitable set up hassle, wire tangle nightmares, configuration times and brain breakers ahead.. yes even with Mac.... I´m afraid I will be back here.)

Prophetic words or self fulfilling prophecy?
Picked up iMac yesterday, been mainly going :ugh: since.
The Time Capsule is not compatible with our router. Which we need for the home phone to work. Hours and hours of endless updating for nought. The Apple support goons speak only Swedish ( I don´t) here in Norway, and refuse to do English.
I know enough Swedish to understand that I am a fool not to have done the first backup with an ethernet cable (how the **** was I supposed to know if nobody told me) and since I have a Telenor router they can´t help me.

Called the shop and informed them I was loading the whole thing in the car and taking it back to them.
Was told that Jamil would call me back in a jiffy.
He did, 6 hours later.

Sorted the time machine and advised me to take an Apple course. Which I had already tried to enroll in but they´re done for the summer.
:ouch:

ThreadBaron
24th Jun 2009, 18:54
These Apples! Enough to give you the pip!!

Slight problems with my IMac, but nought compared to you Juud!

The display makes my output look like that of a 'photographer'!

innuendo
25th Jun 2009, 03:54
Papazulu,
Your Photoshop, and I believe your Adobe Suite, can be exchanged for the Apple versions for basically the cost of shipping. You will have to down load, complete and return a certificate of destruction of the Windows versions.
As long as your versions are the current ones Adobe will replace your Windows versions with the Apple versions.
If you have a version that is no longer current you will have to pay an upgrade fee to the latest edition. They do not replace previous versions.
If you contact Adobe make sure it is sales that you contact, not support.

Not sure where you are located but that is the procedure in North America with my experience being from Canada.
Altogether fairly painless as long as you deal with sales, as I mentioned.

Roger Sofarover
3rd Jul 2009, 10:37
Help! My Mac has been running soooooo slooooooooow! I have run a couple of virus/trojan finders and cleared six suspect files off my machine. The problem is still there. In particular every now and again (frequently), when I click on something with the cursor, the little disc that spins round occasionally to show you the thing is thinking just spins and spins, for at least 1 minute, so when on the internet it is getting very frustrating. Can anybody tell me what they think it may be and how to fix it?

Thank you!

amanoffewwords
3rd Jul 2009, 10:42
Have you re-installed the OS?

Could be hard-disk fault - not sure if MACs have an equivalent to chkdsk?

I thought MACs were immune to viruses (virii police click here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=virii)) ??

AppleMacster
3rd Jul 2009, 11:09
First thing to try is to Repair Permissions. You need Disk Utility:

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Click your hard drive at the top left
Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

I would also consider deleting any virus checking software. There are no mac viruses in the wild. The antivirus will probably mess up your mac more than anything else.

Applemacster

Roger Sofarover
3rd Jul 2009, 11:21
Applemacster
Thanks I will try that now. I guess the term visus is wrong but there seems to be lots of Trojans. Are they termed the same? Don't know, but I will try what you said now. Thanks :ok: ooh it just did it again:ugh:

Tarq57
3rd Jul 2009, 11:37
Get a PC.:E

Mac the Knife
3rd Jul 2009, 11:39
How much memory do you have?

How full is your hard drive?

Had this problem with my old Mac Mini (in spite of 1GB of memory)
Repairing permissions helped, but the 60GB drive has only 10GB free and a lot of the wait is disk thrashing as it pages in and out.

I'll get a new Mini in September when Snow Leopard comes out.

(Never been a problem with my Macbook (2gb/160GB)

Roger Sofarover
3rd Jul 2009, 11:41
Now I know it is a little premature, but by Jove sir I think you may have done it! It is suddenly much faster already. Yippeeeeeeee!:ok:

ZEEBEE
3rd Jul 2009, 12:02
Tarq

Get a PC.

Wash your mouth out with Draino!

Tarq57
3rd Jul 2009, 12:07
We call it "caustic soda" in this part of the world, ZB.:hmm:

Roger Sofarover
3rd Jul 2009, 15:38
AppleMacster
well I was premature, I am afraid I am still getting the spinning thinks bubble thingy. Aaaaaagh! By the way Mac The Knife, out of 110 G or so hard drive, 60 are spare.

AppleMacster
3rd Jul 2009, 16:21
Sorry to hear that you're still having issues. Here's a checklist:

Make sure all Apple updates have been done: Apple Menu>Software Update

Remove the antivirus and anti-spyware software.

Go back to Disk Utility, select your hard drive again and try the disk repair buttons on the right-hand side.

If all that fails, it may be a logicboard failure. Under warranty, there is no charge for the repair. Out of warranty, it's around £500.

Applemacster

Whiskey Papa
3rd Jul 2009, 16:38
£500...? As the man says, get a PC! you'll get some change as well!

Roger Sofarover
3rd Jul 2009, 18:22
WP

They do cost more but I tell you "Once you gone Mac there ain't no goin back'. Didn't Linda Lovelace come out with that quote? Oh it wasn't Mac, sounds like:E

Thanks again AppleMacster I will try what you have mentioned. Just like now as I was typing, the letters stop coming up when i hit a key. The only way to start retyping again is put the cursor in another text box outside this one (i use the heading box), hit a couple of keys or hit space, cursor back in here then continue. It is driving me nuts.

Tim00
3rd Jul 2009, 20:55
Other things to try:
If you feel confident, google for & install Applejack, which allows you to run low-level tests.

Is it just Safari that locks up, or everything? If it's just Safari, have you any 3rd party addons? You could always try downloading Firefox (simply put it in your Home folder if you like - you don't have to be running in an admin account for this. See other posts I've made about not running as an Admin. If you run as a User (not admin) then there's no (realistic) way rouge software can compromise your OS without you typing the admin password. Worst it can do is consume 100% CPU, or steal or erase your data, but not bring down the whole machine. That might read as flippant, but I don't mean it to.

Does sound like it might be a hardware problem, however. Try googling for some SMART monitoring software, which will at least track you HD's state over time & might give you some clue if there's increasing degradation.

Sorry for the rushed post but I'm sitting in semi-darkness in the garden & my Macbook battery's well into the red.

TightSlot
3rd Jul 2009, 20:56
I use this every month or so (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html). I can't promise it will fix your problem, and there are usually people around who can tell you that what it does is unnecessary - I find it generally spiffs the machine up a bit and washes behind the ears.

shinobi1
4th Jul 2009, 00:16
how about some info about your system? You've said you have a macbook pro, but what type? How old? What OS, what memory have you got? etc

I reckon it's probably down to memory shortage (Even if you are running a MBP) or maybe to software running in the backround,

hope this helps?

Shinobi

seekayess
4th Jul 2009, 16:30
I own a 4 yrs old iBook G4. Am still working with 10.4.11 on that.

This evening, I saw one white line stretched across the screen, about an inch from the bottom edge. I did a restart, hoping the line would vanish -- but no such luck. :ooh:

Since then, I have realised that every time I shut the lid and reopen, some more lines keep turning up along which there is no display of any of the pictures or text or whatever in that area. As of now, there are about NINE such line across the screen, fortunately all within about a centimeter of each other. :{

So, I intend to avoid shutting the lid from now on -- just switch the laptop off instead!

I took a screenshot with Cmd-Shift-3, but the lines did NOT show. So, have now taken a picture of the screen with my mobile and this is what it is at, right now:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/seekayess/Desktop.jpg

The question is: Is this the end of my laptop? Or, is there a solution for this problem?

HELP!!

Kick Butt
5th Jul 2009, 05:09
I've never had a problem with the MAC, nor a virus.

If it isn't a memory issue (which it might be) then maybe it's just a "bad apple" from the lot. They usually are fantastic to work with once you figure out it isnt' a PC.

KB

Jet II
6th Jul 2009, 14:27
Sounds like the cable to the display from the logic board is on the way out.

You cane either give it back to apple and let them change it or do the job yourself although it involves totally stripping down the iBook

AppleMacster
6th Jul 2009, 14:36
Before you dismantle the iBook, did you try a PRAM and NVRAM reset?

PRAM/NVRAM reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379)

Applemacster

Unhinged
6th Jul 2009, 20:00
white line stretched across the screen

The elastomeric connector at the edge of the screen has separated from the screen itself. If you apply very gentle twisting pressure to the screen you'll probably (but not necessarily) see a change in the white lines. That's why you were seeing a change in the lines when you opened and closed the laptop screen.

The reason you don't see the lines on a screen grab is because the video ram is working fine and has a complete and correct copy of what the computer wants to display, so that's what's turning up on the screen grab. The fault occurs at the very last physical connection between the computer and the display.

There are two options : You can replace the screen, or use an external display. The lines will not appear on an external screen for the reasons explained above.

seekayess
7th Jul 2009, 06:36
Before you dismantle the iBook, did you try a PRAM and NVRAM reset?

Thanks, Applemacaster: just did that and has not made any difference to the lines.

PS: Never lost anything else like time etc: so, I guess, I must have had those OK! :hmm:

You can either give it back to apple and let them change it or do the job yourself although it involves totally stripping down the iBook

Jet II: Once upon a time about 20 years ago today, when the Mac had started selling here with inadequate Tech support, I had got the special screw driver made to open and service etc my own Macs. However, this laptop is another matter and I do not feel that confident of being able to hack it myself! Maybe it is got something to do with the fact that when you are younger, you are willing to try on any dare -- or some such! Thanks, anyway. I shall toodle across to the Mac shop and see if they can look at it.

You can replace the screen, or use an external display.

Unhinged: The option of changing the screen is not really there. This being a four+ years old model, the spare backup is quite minimal here. I suppose if I insisted, the local Mac shop would obtain it for me from Apple, but, I suspect, that may cost me a horrendous amount: might just be wiser to add a bit and buy a new Mac Book! As for the second part: Yup, that is what I intend to do after I have got myself another lappy: use this one as a desktop with a TFT screen.

Thanks very much, all of you!

AppleMacster
7th Jul 2009, 13:38
These guys will ship internationally:

DVWarehouse (http://www.dvwarehouse.com/iBook-LCD-Display-c-4672_4795_238_466.html)

Screentekinc (http://www.screentekinc.com/)

Instructions here:

iBook G4 Screen removal (http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,apple.shtml)

Good luck!

Applemacster

bnt
23rd Jul 2009, 08:28
Can anyone help my landlady? (She's a Mac user, but I know very little about them, preferring Linux.) Yesterday, she updated Microsoft Office 2008 to SP2 (I think) when prompted. She used to have DOC files associated with Microsoft Word, as you'd expect, but that's gone and she can't get it back:
- now, when she tries to load a Doc file, the Mac tries to start iWork '06 Pages. It's a Trial version - she didn't even know it was on there, and never used it. Word still works, she can still launch it as normal and open files - so the Office installation appears fine. (She's contacted Microsoft by email in case they know something about this.)

So, we try to restore the standard file association using a method I looked up, which goes something like this:
- launch the "Get Info" menu for a Doc file
- under "Open With" it says "Pages (default)". There's a way to select another application, so she selects Microsoft Word and "Always Open With", then "Add". This should add Word to the list of applications for that file.
- Back on the "Get Info" menu, there's a "Change All" button, that is supposed to set the association for all files of that type.
- Hit that, the confirmation dialog seems to confirm what it's doing, but after she hits "Continue", things go back to how they were before: "Pages (default)". Microsoft Word does not even appear on the applications list. Finder has completely lost the change she just made.

edit: the procedure that is supposed to work is described on this page (http://www.fileinfo.com/help/mac-change-program.html) - but it keeps reverting to Pages (default)

It's as if something is fighting this change. She has totally uninstalled iWork '06 now, but Finder still associates Doc files with Pages (even though it's gone), and will not let her change that permanently.

Any ideas? (Something to do with permissions?)

edit: on further investigation, I suspect it's a problem with something called Launch Services, which I was not previously aware of. See: Resetting Launch Services (http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/resetlaunchservices.html)

AppleMacster
23rd Jul 2009, 17:23
bnt,

It could be the permissions. Just go Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility, click the top disk on the left hand side and then click "Repair Disk Permissions".

You can do the method described in your link to thexlab.com a little more easily by pasting the following into ScriptEditor, clicking "Compile", then "Run":

display dialog "The Finder must quit and will relaunch after the Launch Services rebuild is complete. The rebuild may take several minutes, during which time you should refrain from using any other apps." buttons {"Cancel", "Rebuild LS Database"} default button 2 with icon caution
ignoring application responses
tell application "Finder"
delay 2
quit
end tell
end ignoring
delay 5
tell application "System Events" to set running_applications_ to get name of every application process
if running_applications_ contains "Finder" then do shell script "killall Finder"
do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
tell application "Finder"
delay 2
activate
end tell
tell me to activate
display dialog "The Launch Services rebuild is now complete." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note

Applemacster

Mac the Knife
23rd Jul 2009, 17:41
Use RCDefaultApp - available free from 6. RCDefaultApp (file associations) (http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/LH-Top-10-Mac-utilities/1849939) or Rubicode - RCDefaultApp (http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/)

http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/ExtensionsScreen.png

Mac on Mac

bnt
23rd Jul 2009, 18:55
Thanks for the advice! I think my landlady would not want to do anything difficult, or let me do anything like that (since I'm a Mac know-nothing), but I'll see. I also like the look of Yasu (http://jimmitchelldesign.com/projects/yasu/) for clearing the cache and fixing permissions, before we go scripting anything.

AppleMacster
24th Jul 2009, 12:48
Disk Utility should repair most disk issues. However, if you really want to get into Mac disk maintenance (and I don't recommend it), this is an excellent article:

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance (http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html)

Applemacster

bnt
27th Jul 2009, 18:22
Update on the problem: we ran Yasu (http://jimmitchelldesign.com/projects/yasu/) with the options to clear caches, reset system permissions, and reset Launch Services. It chundered for a bit, restarted, and then we could go in and re-associate Doc files with Word in the normal way. This time it worked, so landlady is happy.

Microsoft were saying "uninstall Office 12.2.0" (SP2), which sounded like overkill to me. I didn't want to go to the console and script anything, since landlady has literally never seen the console, and was already way past her skill level and freaking out. I can recommend Yasu as a nice and friendly way of doing these maintenance jobs. Thanks for the help, Maccums - I promise to be nicer about Macs in future. :ok:

jokova
3rd Aug 2009, 00:49
Please....
Have just upgraded my iBook G4 to a MacBook Pro. When it's good its very very good (fast, between programs, in and out, up and down, great!) but after a couple of days it slows down so that I have to restart to maybe get it together again, maybe not. Depends on the modd of the thing. That little coloured wheel comes on and goes and goes...
Have tried emptying caches, and there's millions of 'em! Is that normal? A cache in the system library, in fact the Apple help line told me to just throw them in the bin, but that hasn't stopped the problem. I thought you guys might have better idea.
(have had a Mac since 1987 - I know, that makes me old. Would not even consider a PC, but this Pro job is the most problematic so far).

AppleMacster
3rd Aug 2009, 12:06
Jokova,

You could try repairing disk permissions: Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility, select the top disk on the left-hand side and click "Repair Disk Permissions".

It might be a RAM issue, although*if you have at least 2Gb and it is seated properly, it probably won't be this.

Have you installed any outdated control panels/utilities which might be causing some conflict with 10.5? Some older Applications and their extensions can also cause issues.

Have you got any anti-virus software? This has a tendency to cause more trouble than it's worth on the Mac.

Applemacster

jokova
3rd Aug 2009, 13:46
Thanks - I've run the Repair permissions and hope that this fixes things. I don't have any virus detection I know the problems they can cause and I haven't put any old control panel things on but of course have all my old programs from the G4....
The RAM should be ok, but not sure about it being seated or not???? I dont have any programs on when I'm on the internet which seems to be when it happens. Maybe something to do with the Bigpond wireless program?

AppleMacster
3rd Aug 2009, 14:21
Maybe something to do with the Bigpond wireless program?

Could be. Are you using the 3G USB dongle? I've not used the device, but I know some people find that adjusting the "Disconnect when idle" settings can help. If the device is disconnecting and connecting all the time, this can slow the Mac down.

Applemacster

ORAC
7th Aug 2009, 15:28
Just giving my old Mac Mini to a nephew (teenager) so he can write iPhone programmes. (he's the only one where the geek genes seem to descended) and am including the software and disks already on it.

Working from the basis that I already have a Macbook Pro, Macbook Air and a Time Capsule, what do you think I should get myself as a replacement in hardware and software?

I have the monitor and wireless mouse/keyboard from the Mini (he has a monitor and I providing the original cable mighty mouse/keyboard), so could possibly get one of the new Minis. I like the size and price, but it isn't terribly fast or expandable; the iMac looks not much better in speed and the Mac Pro seems a bit OTT.

Recommendations?

As far as software goes I have lost the copy of Leopard I bought :( so will be buying Snow Leopard when it comes out in September; have already bought Office 2008 and Toast 10 Pro and, through the education programme, will be getting a copy of Adobe CS4 Design Premium in September as well

Any recommendations for any other useful programmes?

innuendo
7th Aug 2009, 17:05
Re hardware, I am of the same view about hardware. The MacPro is more than I really need, (did not say want!;)), the Mini does not really have enough grunt to cater to my photo uses, 21MB raw files and I am not keen on the All-In-One aspect of the iMac. The 20 inch iMac does not have the quality of display panel that is in the 24" and I prefer my HP 2475 IPS panel anyway. I do not care for the glossy screens that Apple seems to think we should all like.

Apple do not seem to be interested in producing something between the Pro and the Mini as a standalone. BTW try suggesting that in some Mac forums to see how quickly you get flamed.

Anyway I ended up with a 15" MBP, maxed RAM and a couple of external HDs.
One is for Time Machine back up and the other I keep my photo library on where Lightroom references them.
I do a separate back up of my photos on another drive.
I run the MBP as a desktop with the lid closed. I have a 320GB 7200 rpm drive in it and 7200 500GB 2.5" drives are available.

If your MBP is reasonably recent it may be all you need as you already have the keyboard and monitor.

ORAC
7th Aug 2009, 17:24
The MBP is about 3 years old; RAM is already at max and I did a DIY HDD upgrade about 6 months back and swapped the old HDD for a new 320Gb one.

I use it on the coffee table in front of the TV and use it most of the time. The Mini is/was upstairs in the study, but I only use it when I need the big screen, the desk space and the extra storage space etc.

bnt
8th Aug 2009, 01:09
I found the following Mac Repair video fairly educational:

_qWhYlhfWCI

:ooh:

SpringHeeledJack
13th Aug 2009, 17:57
Wow, that's definitely one way to open a mac up...... :eek:

I have a question. Am I correct in thinking that apple software allows for one transfer of ownership to still be legal ? That is to say transferal to a newer computer from the old computer for example.

Any ideas appreciated.

SHJ

Juud
15th Aug 2009, 13:11
Can I just stick in a cable, one end in each apparatus, and transfer, or is that too simplistically thought?

Don´t wanna mess anything up in either of the computers, so thought I´d ask here first. :)

foresight
16th Aug 2009, 02:06
is that too simplistically thought?

How to use FireWire target disk mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661)

pendrifter
23rd Aug 2009, 10:30
Saw the previous video of man destroying Mac.:) but:sad:.
But reminded me of when my PowerBook G4 screen went on the blink. Did some searching and came up with probable cause being blown inverter board.
Found one on ebay - £18. Good result - but fitting?

I found this site
Powerbook 17 Inch Repair Video (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/pages.php?pageid=54)

Decided it was too much for me (not that brave!) Luckily I have a pal who's quite an electronic/computer boffin. But he took it on and completed the repair in an evening.
Been reading previous posts of problems with screens, hope it helps. Search around the site it may have similar videos for your mac.

ORAC
24th Aug 2009, 13:47
Didn't put it in the Mac thread but created a new one for visibility.

On sale as off about 30 minutes on the Apple store site.

£25 for single use licence and £39 for the family licence.

Delivery by Aug 29th.

Apple Store UK (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL?mco=NzgxMDc5OQ)

Booglebox
24th Aug 2009, 15:33
Apologies if this has already been posted, but there's a very good website at iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts (http://www.ifixit.com) which provides step by step instructions on how to replace nearly any part in nearly any mac- although sometimes it's a case of "easier said than done". Remember that Mac internals are not designed to be prodded routinely- antistatic precautions and a lot of restraint in the face of adversity is required! :cool:

ThreadBaron
24th Aug 2009, 20:27
What is the Mac equivalent of the Windows right click, i.e. to disclose a pictures properties?

bnt
24th Aug 2009, 20:57
What is the Mac equivalent of the Windows right click, i.e. to disclose a pictures properties?
Ctrl-Click

Background Noise
24th Aug 2009, 22:20
You can set up the apple mouse to right click in preferences. It has a sensor inside the mouse and you have to click it with just your right finger on the mouse - ie lift the left one clear.

Senior Pilot
25th Aug 2009, 01:08
I see that Snow Leopard is out on Friday :ok:

Senior Pilot
28th Aug 2009, 11:12
Well, that was quick and easy ;)

Snow Leopard installed, lots of free disc space recovered on the MB Air, usual improvements as expected :ok:

TightSlot
31st Aug 2009, 23:19
Good for me too - 1 Macbook & 1 iMac so far - sweet as!

innuendo
1st Sep 2009, 04:21
Not everything is sweetness, my Expresscard E-SATA access to my external drive is no go. Probably a driver issue which is not Apples fault. My raw files from my Canon 5D Mk2 will not open in CS3. They are not supposed to but with Leopard after clicking on a warning they did. Guess I will be sending Adobe $$$ for the CS$ upgrade.
Excel from MS Office 2004 has to have Rosetta installed to run.

The price of progress I suppose. I do feel that a lot of things are a bit faster and no doubt there will be developments that will make SL worthwhile down the road. I hope, :rolleyes:

Edited to add that I am finding a lot of instances of "cannot find file" in iPhoto.
I keep my photo library on an external drive to avoid running into capacity problems on my MBP internal drive, maybe there is a disconnect somewhere but it was not a problem prior to SL.

Capt Chambo
1st Sep 2009, 06:11
Quick and easy installation on my iMac, but Safari Ad Block requires it to be set to open in 32 bit mode.

foresight
4th Sep 2009, 20:32
Frankly I am left wondering what I paid £25 for.

Neptunus Rex
5th Sep 2009, 05:22
I have a 'Group' containing 50+ e-mail addresses in Entourage on my MacBook. Is there any quick and easy way to transfer the Group to Entourage on my desktop eMac without having to enter each one individually?

Cheers,

Neppie
:confused:

ORAC
7th Sep 2009, 10:26
Just after a bit of advice on the best place to advertise to sell my old Macbook Pro. I just bought the new 17" Macbook Pro to use as a desktop after giving my Mini to a nephew (why didn't I have an uncle like me :{ ). That means my old 15" 2.33Gb (2006 Core 2 Duo) is surplus to requirements.

It's not in bad nick, I replaced the HDD with a 320Gb a few months back, just replaced the DVD burner yesterday as the old one had stopped writing and get it in full working order.

Looking on the web the going price in the USA is about $1250, but parts also seem to sell well - a new logic board is £799 + VAT :ooh:

There don't seem many on eBay, and their costs seems quite high these days. Any recommendations on whether I'd get more for the bits then complate and/orone know a good alternate UK centric site to advertise it on?

seekayess
11th Sep 2009, 21:48
The update under the heading of 'Up-to-date' on the Mac site for systems bought recently -- to upgrade from Leopard to SL -- seems to be offered only if you are in or around US.

I bought a MacBook on 26th July from a Mac Store in US. This laptop is now in India.

Just can't suss out how to have the $9.99 upgrade DVD delivered here!

Any ideas/ advice/ suggestions please?

:confused:

BusyB
13th Sep 2009, 15:09
I was having a tidy up (I thought) but when I next tried to boot up it wouldn't. Tried using the Leopard disc and that works for an instal but will erase all on the disc.
If there is no other option that is what I'll have to do, I think I've got most of it backed up.
Its a 150Gb hard disc but was practically full (only 3.5 GB left).

All thoughts welcome.:(

AppleMacster
13th Sep 2009, 15:20
BusyB,

Try running Disk Utility from the Leopard install disk to see if it can recover the disk:

Leopard Install (http://macs.about.com/od/leopard105/ss/installleopard3_3.htm)

You might have problems with only 3.5Gb free on the disk, particularly if applications are using a lot of virtual memory.

Applemacster

BusyB
13th Sep 2009, 15:47
Thanks for the suggestion but when I tried that and tried to Verify it says
"Keys out of order
The volume Mac HD needs to be repaired":confused:

AppleMacster
13th Sep 2009, 15:59
BusyB,

It sounds like the disk is pretty far-gone. The only applications which will help are DiskWarrior (http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html) or TechTool Pro (http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=48) :8
Each comes with a bootable repair disk.

Applemacster

BusyB
13th Sep 2009, 19:45
Thanks for the advice AM, I've ordered TechTool Pro. Even if that doesn't work I'm sure it will be useful.
Cheers:ok:

Bell_Flyer
20th Sep 2009, 09:53
I run 2 wireless networks at home. One, called "NETA" is a D-LINK wireless router and modem which gives all my Macs at home internet access. The other is an AIRPORT EXPRESS network called "Music Network" so I can use my Mac to play iTunes thru the stereo. Trouble is, when I am on the internet, I can't play music to my stereo and vice versa.

How can I 'bridge' the 2 x networks into one network so I can surf the net as well as play my iTUNES thru the stereo at the same time?

I remember being able to do this years ago when I had Airport extreme instead of the D-LINK router / modem but the dang thing broke down.

Thanks for your help.

Background Noise
20th Sep 2009, 11:38
I guess you can 'reset' the airport express then re-install it - when I installed mine it gave the option to add it to the existing network so that it all works together.

ORAC
20th Sep 2009, 11:50
See here. (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515)

Bell_Flyer
20th Sep 2009, 12:22
Thanks ORAC. Thanks Background Noise.

I read ORAC's URL, selected the Music Network from Airport, ran the Airport Admin Utility, went thru the screens and ticked the box that said join an existing network. Everything works now and I don't see "Music Airport" any longer but can play the stereo from any Mac at home!

Fantastic!!!

ORAC
28th Sep 2009, 08:28
I have a synch problem between my iPhone and MacBook Air. I wonder if any one has any idea where the problem lies?

The problem occurs when I synch and have to update multiple podcasts. If the download is just a few casts, say 5 or 6, it synchs fine. However, if it many more than that then one of 2 things happens:

a. The iPhone vanishes from iTunes in the middle of the synch. The iPhone shows as synch in progress and has to be unplugged. When the iPod is selected it reports the Library is being updated and finally shows the original, before synch, list.

b. iTunes throws up an error window stating that it "cannot read or write to the disk" and stops the update.

The error can be delayed by doing the synch when both iPhone and Air have just been turned on and/or if I do a hard boot of the iPhone prior to the synch.

There has been an error reported when loading updates to iTunes since also upgrading to Snow Leopard, that errors relates to a USB driver file for a plug-in USB phone modem which is a known error.

The problem did not occur with my MacBook Pro at home, only with the Air since I came on holiday. I did, however, upgrade the iPhone to 3.1 shortly before I left home and, due to errors, had to do a full default reload. I also don't download more than the odd 1 or 2 podcasts whilst at home, so would not necessarily have seen the problem if it also exists there.

AS far as I can see it might be a problem with the MacBook, either from a USB hardware or software fault or it might be related to the USB modem driver. It might also, however, be an iPhone software fault from the 3.1 upgrade - but I cannot see anyone else reporting it. Finally, it may be a fault with the iPhone hardware.

The iPhone is covered by the monthly fee including insurance. The MacBook is covered by Apple 3 year cover.

Ideas?

Sumdumguy
1st Oct 2009, 02:59
Is anyone else finding their Mac's performance seems to be a lot slower after upgrading to Snow Leopard? I'm getting the spinning wheel a lot more than I used to, mail takes ages to send email messages, preview takes ages to load pdf documents and front row dvd playback is jerky. I've repaired permissions and reinstalled snow leopard but no change, am considering time machining back to the old Leopard.

Big Bad D
1st Oct 2009, 15:37
I am happy with Snow Leopard performance, particularly start up times (from switching on to being ready to run an application) are significantly improved. So sorry, Sumdumguy, it's not a general problem. I can't think what else to suggest as you have tried the obvious repairing permissions and reinstall. Are you perhaps running some application in the background that is not Snow Leopard compatible and could be causing these slow downs? MacInTouch have a Snow Leopard compatability list that may help.

AppleMacster
1st Oct 2009, 16:29
Sumdumguy,

Sorry you're having problems. It might be worth opening Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder and see what processes are running. I just cured a friend's slow iMac by finding that a PowerPC-based process was running (!).

If you have had any Safari plugins, some of them are only 32bit. They shouldn't load in, but some might cause issues. The most popular is probably Safari Ad Block which will only run in 32bit in Snow Leopard. This means you have to make Safari open as a 32bit application:

Applications>Safari
Click on Safari once to highlight it, then select Command-I to get the Info box up. Once there, click the "Open in 32-bit mode" box.

Applemacster

kishna
1st Oct 2009, 16:38
I'm happy following in the installation of Snow Leopard, start up times etc are quicker than before. I'm having a couple of niggling problems though:
1) I can't get my MacBook to recognise my Plustek scanner now - previously I used to scan using image capture. I've installed the latest driver from Plustek but to no avail

2) If I search for something in Spotlight, the results come up in Frence! Has anyone else noticed this - Stickies for instance appear as "Aide Memoire"!. Its almost as though the search is correctly conducted, but the results are displayed wrongly

Any suggestions?!

Bell_Flyer
5th Oct 2009, 04:28
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and iLife 09.

Does anyone know why when I export my iphoto slide show to iDVD, all of my iPhoto themes like Scapbook, Shatter, Sliding Panels etc disappear?

It used to work OK with iLife 08 and Leopard.

Booglebox
5th Oct 2009, 06:22
Krisha-
1. In 10.6 you can scan directly from the individual printer / scanner control panel (system preferences > printers > select the printer / scanner > options, then scan on the top right). Not all scanners are supported by this though I don't think. The other thing you can try is Software Update- may offer you updated drivers for download.

2. Strange!! Couple of things you can try- reset your system language under system preferences > [regional or language or something I forget and I'm on a PC right now], and you can rebuild your spotlight database. I think there's a system preferences option for this but otherwise you will need to google for the terminal commands.

Bell_Flyer-
Only thing I can suggest is a complete reinstall of iLife 09, sorry... also, it helps to make absolutely sure that you're using the same issue of iDVD and iPhoto so that they talk to each other properly.

ORAC-
Several things you can try...
- a mate's iPod cable (especially if yours is knackered- basic I know, but hey)
- wait until after an update to iPhone 3.1, which you are not the first person to have problems with (IMO it broke a perfectly good OS 3.0!!)
- make sure you're using the latest update of iTunes, AFAIK they already released an update to iTunes 9 (you are allowed to hate the design!!). If you've still got iTunes 8 you may want to stick with it for the time being for another month or so.
- if you're plugging it in to your Air via a hub or somesuch, try not using the hub and plugging it in direct.
- whinge to O2 and / or Apple :)

seekayess
5th Oct 2009, 11:29
Just for a laugh, go and read THIS (http://tinyurl.com/OldBattle-Contd) rather well written article!

Enjoyed it thoroughly!

:)

Bell_Flyer
6th Oct 2009, 02:06
Bell_Flyer-
Only thing I can suggest is a complete reinstall of iLife 09, sorry... also, it helps to make absolutely sure that you're using the same issue of iDVD and iPhoto so that they talk to each other properly.

Thanks Booglebox. That's not the solution, unfortunately.

I went to an Apple Store this morning, created a slideshow in iPhoto with the 'scrapbook' theme, sent it to iDVD and the problem is still there. I spoke and showed it to an Apple 'Genius' and he said it is a bug that only Apple can fix.

My advice - don't upgrade to Snow Leopard if you need to produce Slideshows via iDVD. It all worked fine on Leopard.

Polikarpov
6th Oct 2009, 02:59
Snow Leopard seems good speed-wise but I get the niggling feeling something, somewhere, isn't quite right with my iMac since upgrading. I've had a hang on shutdown a couple of times, and occasionally on start up it'll load the desktop but won't react to clicking on applications in the dock. Never had any problems with Leopard.

And then there's the straight bug - I have a Nikon camera which used to be recognised by iPhoto without a problem in Leopard and now isn't: it sometimes appears without any of the photos, sometimes doesn't at all, and I'm having to do a laborious file import round trip with a proprietary Nikon bridge utility. Is there such a thing as a manual driver refresh with OS-X?

I have Macbook Pros at work and home, they have no problem whatsoever (haven't tried the camera on those yet though).

Cheers, P.

innuendo
6th Oct 2009, 05:30
Bell Flyer:

Does anyone know why when I export my iphoto slide show to iDVD, all of my iPhoto themes like Scapbook, Shatter, Sliding Panels etc disappear?

My wife spent a LOT of time creating a couple of slideshows in iPhoto 08. Specific text, Ken Burns effects, transitions etc. We bought iPhoto 09 and installed it. Guess what, almost all of her hard work was lost with the install of '09.
We went to our local Apple store. They un-installed '09, re-installed '08, brought up a couple of '08 slideshows from our Time Machine backup, installed them and then installed iPhoto 09 again. Same result, the custom details of the slideshows were wiped out.
Nowhere in the Readme of iPhoto 09 was there any warning that previous customization would be lost.
I sent Apple a lengthy complaint. Did I receive an acknowledgement or even a reply? Not a peep.
Apple blew this big time in my view. Even if you had warning, installing '09 would destroy your custom features in your slideshow.
Apple love to claim that they just work, Bah.

Bell_Flyer
6th Oct 2009, 06:12
Thanks for the feedback, innuendo.

This morning at the Mac Store, the Mac Genius staff told me that he has been advising his regular customers NOT to upgrade to Snow Leopard. He shot straight and told me that there are many compatibility problems with Snow Leopard and iLife 09 and "other problems". When I pressed him for details, he would only say that it is not possible to downgrade from Snow Leopard to Leopard if you are unhappy with the upgrade.

Does anyone know if it is easy to go from Snow Leopard to Leopard? I really need to do that as I have to burn Slide Shows to iDVD.

Thanks
B_F.

innuendo
7th Oct 2009, 00:38
When I pressed him for details, he would only say that it is not possible to downgrade from Snow Leopard to Leopard if you are unhappy with the upgrade.
Well I am no Mac Genius but I wonder if you have your HD backed up with Time Machine if you could not do a format of your HD, install Leopard and then copy your data from Time Machine at a pre Snow leopard time.
There must be some catch as this seems too simple to me.
Any Mac "geneii" care to comment?

AppleMacster
7th Oct 2009, 08:54
Restoring from Time Machine is possible, but might take longer than a clean install from your original system disks (having erased the hard drive first).

Experiences in restoring Leopard from Snow Leopard (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2185957&tstart=0)

Applemacster

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 09:28
If you have had any Safari plugins, some of them are only 32bit. They shouldn't load in, but some might cause issues. The most popular is probably Safari Ad Block which will only run in 32bit in Snow Leopard. This means you have to make Safari open as a 32bit application:

AppleMacster,

You are, of course, assuming that the poster's Mac has booted up in 64 bit mode.

I belive you'll find that OS X Leopard Desktop will boot in 32 bit by default unless you tell it otherwise through a two-finger salute on boot. You can verify what mode you've booted up through the System Profiler tool (from memory you click on the "SOFTWARE" header and look at what it says next to "64 bit kernel" ...i.e.YES or NO).

AppleMacster
7th Oct 2009, 09:43
Mixture,

Yes, you are right. I may have assumed too much!

Applemacster

Fokkerwokker
7th Oct 2009, 10:52
For some reason I can't type anything directly into the URL bar at the moment on my Macbook. It is dead as a Dodo. I must have done something to get to that state but it is not obvious.
(Edit: Typing normal text or directly in to the 'Google box' is fine tho').

Any ideas/fixes?

Ta

FW

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 11:11
Fokkerwokker,

Safari, Firefox or some other browser ?

Just your account or others too ?

Fokkerwokker
7th Oct 2009, 11:25
Just done some mini fault finding and Safari is fine. The problem seems to be with Firefox

Please disregard previous. As if by magic the problem has disappeared......VERY curious!

MD11forever
9th Oct 2009, 05:54
I wonder if anybody else is running the Airbus FCOM on the Mac. Have you also had some troubles with the latest updates? Any solutions to run it under 10.6?

Until now it worked like that:
1) Copy the whole FCOM CD to your mac. (Make sure no empty spaces in the folders name/address, name your folder AirbusFcom instead of Airbus FCOM or whatever..)
2) Link the following file as starting point: /FCOM/common/pages/main.htm
3) As all browsers had problems with the pictures, the only one working for me was: Camino. Mozilla Power, Mac Style (http://caminobrowser.org)

For sure this solution is not optimal, but was the best I could work out..

BusBoy
10th Oct 2009, 21:46
if you're working for an orange airline PM me
Not keeping secrets, but this FCOM trick only works of you work for them!!

mixture
11th Oct 2009, 11:49
Get yourself a copy of Parallels or Fusion, a legal copy of Windows and enjoy....

pendrifter
13th Oct 2009, 07:57
Hi,
I recently added five email addreses using my own domain name.
Four are ok but one insists on downloading mail from months ago!:confused:
My provider says it's something in the settings of Mac Mail, but I've been through preferences and can't see anything to solve the problem.
Went to provider's webmail service and deleted all mail from my inboxes. Unsuccessful - still downloading mail from the past:E
If I leave the Mail to download every hour I come back to find 500+ emails - most annoying.
I've tried deleting the account and set up again - same result.
Any ideas, any one.
Thanks in advance.

AppleMacster
13th Oct 2009, 08:59
Apologies if you've tried this already, but you could try going to the Mailbox menu and select "Synchronize all mailboxes".

Are the accounts IMAP or POP?

Applemacster

mixture
13th Oct 2009, 11:29
Are you configured as POP3 or IMAP ?

My guess is POP3 and you've got "leave on server" configured.

MD11forever
13th Oct 2009, 11:54
@BusBoy Thank you, but I'm using a different callsign.
@mixture Thank you, but that is exactely what I'm avoiding.

I got it working again:
Following setup:
- OS 10.6.1
- Camino 1.6.10 (latest release Camino. Mozilla Power, Mac Style (http://caminobrowser.org/))
- This Javaplugin for Camino (QA:Camino 1.6.x, Mac OS X 10.6, and Java - Camino Wiki (http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/QA:Camino_1.6.x,_Mac_OS_X_10.6,_and_Java)).
Rest as in the first post.

pendrifter
14th Oct 2009, 08:04
Many thanks to both. I am using POP, and indeed the Advanced tab and changed setting for server function for keeping mail, solved the problem:ok:
I can't remember having to do this some years ago when I set up my original mailbox. But then I'm at an age (not really that old), when things don't come to mind so readily:)
Thanks again.

iceni
15th Oct 2009, 12:21
Is it possible in Mail to send an email with a "Receipt" included?

Jet II
17th Oct 2009, 13:11
Like this? (http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_request_recp.htm)

I have not tried it so cannot vouch for it working.

BusyB
18th Oct 2009, 19:41
Mods,
Why is "Mac Corner" no longer a sticky?:confused:

mixture
18th Oct 2009, 21:07
BusyB,

You can blame Saab Dastard for that !

See his post here -> http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/392362-linux-corner-2.html#post5254355

Saab Dastard
18th Oct 2009, 21:51
Mods,
Why is "Mac Corner" no longer a sticky?:confused:

It's been a sticky long enough for its presence to be established - if it is genuinely useful it will self-sustain on page one.

If it isn't, then keeping it as a sticky is like pinning a dead pet to the door of its cage.

SD

flighty puss
19th Oct 2009, 04:29
I've just read some horror stories on upgrading a MacBook Pro to Leopard and Snow Leopard. I don't even know if my MacBook Pro is a Leopard or something else. It's a 10.5.8. Do I have it right that a Leopard is 10.6?

AppleMacster
19th Oct 2009, 07:31
You have Leopard. Snow Leopard is 10.6.

Applemacster

flighty puss
20th Oct 2009, 01:25
thank you. My main problem would be with Freehand MX as I have thousands of files. I have heard via other users that there are plans afoot to keep and upgrade Freehand even though the 'system' seems to be demanding we all go to Illustrator (compatible with the Suite Photoshop and InDesign). Any extra info in this area would be good.

BusyB
20th Oct 2009, 19:08
SD,
I guess you don't use a Mac:=

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Oct 2009, 21:00
Configure - Apple Store (U.K.) (http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MB953B/A?mco=MTMzNzUxOTY)

I must have one.

WWW :\

innuendo
20th Oct 2009, 23:42
Glossy screen only = DOA for me :rolleyes:
Now if you could get the guts of the thing in a compact housing, a la Mini, I would have my credit out but I fear that will not happen. I guess Steve knows what is good for us.:hmm:

MacBoero
21st Oct 2009, 22:04
Some useful snippits for Macintosh users:

To have more control over which websites can automatically load and start flash content:

ClickToFlash (http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/)
This makes Flash content on websites show up with just a button in the middle saying Flash, and will always do so, i.e. the Flash content is blocked until you click it. You can whitelist websites so that their content is automatically loaded if you wish. It provides a convenient way of stopping those annoying Flash based animated adverts from popping up all over the place.

Next on the list:

To stop other types of adverts from appearing:

GlimmerBlocker (http://glimmerblocker.org/)
This blocks advertising web servers. It uses filters that can be downloaded from various websites linked from the GlimmerBlocker website. It is system wide, i.e. it isn't a Safari add-on. It acts as an HTTP proxy, and therefore works with most web aware apps. Some may need manual tweaking, like FireFox.

That is all, MacBoero... Out! :ok:

BusyB
26th Oct 2009, 17:18
Using snow leopard I'm now having a problem with Mail. I added a gmail account I need to use and now have problems with outgoing messages freezing and incoming messages having nothing in the title or from lines when opened.
Any ideas appreciated.:confused:

FL999
1st Nov 2009, 05:44
Hi guys, ive been wanting to ask for a while now. Can anyone tell me what are the advantages I would get from buying a Mac instead of a PC. I use my PC mostly for games, Work stuff(MS Project, Peachtree, Office in general) and browsing. I have 2 friends who cannot stop dissing Windows and its getting irritating. They wouldnt give me a good reason for me to change to Mac so I wanted to ask here. It should be really really good and give me much more than what I already have with windows to pay twice what I would pay for a PC of similar specs. (Other than, there are no viruses, you dont need a casing cause ur pc's in ur screen or you have those cool aps that you dont have in windows cause I couldnt care less about these things).

Bell_Flyer
1st Nov 2009, 10:57
Recently I upgraded my software. Now MOVIES won't play. I hear the audio but video is dead as a dodo.

Anyone out there with this problem? Thanks.

Background Noise
1st Nov 2009, 18:05
BF - just done the update. No problems here, also on Snow Leopard, movies already in itunes play, as do avi, mov and mp4 files in QT.

Bell_Flyer
1st Nov 2009, 19:24
BN - R u using Quicktime X? ie Rev 10.0?

Background Noise
1st Nov 2009, 19:50
Yes I am, QT 10.0

Bell_Flyer
2nd Nov 2009, 05:15
Problem Solved. Jeez - Mac Software is getting flakey.

Went to iTunes preferences / Playback and just selected Play Movies to be in the iTunes Window. Problem is that either QT10 or Snow Leopard won't allow full screen playback.

Background Noise
2nd Nov 2009, 07:20
Once again - mine play within or outside itunes and can be full screen in either case. Have you tried view, full screen in both QT and itunes?

Bell_Flyer
2nd Nov 2009, 10:31
QT 10 will play full screen if I double click an MPEG-4 file - no problems there. iTunes will also play full screen if I set the play window inside the iTunes frame then click on View/Full Screen. Odd behaviour indeed.

I have been in a couple of Apple Discussion Groups and some have this problem and some don't. The thick plottens!

My advice to friends is to hold off on Snow Leopard for a few more months. Strange stuff happens with iLife as well - I discussed a problem earlier on with some others on this forum.

Thanks.

5milesbaby
15th Nov 2009, 12:48
Quite happily for a year or so I've been uploading photos out of iPhoto and onto Facebook using the iPhoto Exporter for Facebook without any problems until about 3 months ago, an update was installed and now it won't work. Every time I click on "login", the webpage pops up, I login successfully, but then when I click "continue" back in iPhoto it says "Connection Error - There was a problem retrieving your user information". I have tried uninstalling the exporter, rebooting and then installing it again but still with the same result. There is no way to install the older version that worked.

Does anyone know if its a Mac issue or Facebook Application issue and how to resolve it? I've tried e-mailling the Facebook team (about 2 months ago) to notify them of the fault but have had no response.

I have iPhoto ver 7.1.5 running on a Macbook Pro using Safari browser.

All help appreciated, thanks.

Keef
15th Nov 2009, 17:51
Hi guys, ive been wanting to ask for a while now. Can anyone tell me what are the advantages I would get from buying a Mac instead of a PC.

You've lit the blue touch paper ... stand by for the fireworks ;)

I've never owned a Mac, although I've used them from time to time.
My daughter owns and uses both Max (plural of Mac?) and PCs for work, and has clear views. She reckons that for graphical stuff, arty stuff, and the like then the Mac is well ahead. For word processing and office-type stuff, the PC is preferable. She doesn't play computer games, so has no comment on that bit.

You pay a lot more for a Mac than for an equivalent PC. You get more features for the extra money, if you happen to want what's offered. I don't, which is why I've never bought one. They do look good, if such things bother you.

HOWEVER ... there is a very powerful "cult" of Mac-worship. True Mac users wouldn't dream of going within 50 yards of a PC (or anything Microsoft) because they would be infected with the dreaded lergy. They won't allow PCs in their homes. I don't detect any similar puritanism in the other direction.

Mac lovers will tell you Mac is more reliable. Said daughter has TWO dead Macs on her shelf waiting for her husband to repair them. Her third Mac (the oldest one) is still in use. There appears to be no hurry to fix them - she's not doing much graphical design work at the moment. Both her Windows PC and laptop (my old one) are working fine and have done, without pause, for several years. I am assured by all Mac lovers that she's the only person ever to have a Mac fail (apart from all the others).

Mac is indeed virtually free from virus infection. Partly, I think, because there aren't enough Macs around for it to be worth the virus-writers' efforts, and rather more because the operating system is a lot more robust. I've got decent virus protection on my PC, and have little reason to be concerned.

The other handicap of the Mac is that in some arenas, Apple decrees how things shall be, and you have little opportunity to choose. It's not as bad as with the iPhone (a brilliant bit of kit, but spoiled by some seriously wacky limitations imposed as policy by Apple).

I'm sure Mac lovers all will want me excommunicated for sacrilege, but there's one man's perspective.

Bell_Flyer
16th Nov 2009, 04:23
You can also have the best of both worlds by purchasing a Mac and then running Parallel on it. Parallel allows you to run Windows AND OSX concurrently.

My bet is that you will drift more and more to OSX as time passes. We have a die hard WINDOWs support engineer at work. After a year of Parallel and OSX we always see him use OSX and he is very scornful of WINDOWS indeed.

seekayess
21st Nov 2009, 18:25
The other handicap of the Mac is that in some arenas, Apple decrees how things shall be, and you have little opportunity to choose.

Hey Keef! If a PC punches the right buttons for you and turns you on, why, you must stay with it!

BUT . . . .

Would you care to elaborate a bit on the above statement? I have been using Macs now for about 22 years -- and have not come across any such instance!!

As I said: Stay with the PC, if you must, but why bad-mouth the Mac?

mustpost
21st Nov 2009, 18:49
Well, I agree, I'm using a new imac with dual-bootcamp Win 7, and it seems to be the best combo so far, apart from some apps I use which only go as far as XP. I understand Snow Leopard has some similar ishoos, and I'm half with Keef about exclusivity..

To make it clear, I have used Macs and PCs in industry and education for many years, and can appreciate both sides of the discussion. Keef - Mac folk are indeed evangelical..:E

hker
23rd Nov 2009, 09:34
Any views on whether upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard is worth it yet? The speed improvements sound good, but I've read reports of crashes.

FL999
23rd Nov 2009, 12:01
As I said: Stay with the PC, if you must, but why bad-mouth the Mac?

As Keef mentioned, it is more the case the other way around. Simply cannot stand the worshipping of the mac and the constant bashing of Windows. Like people have something to prove. You like your mac, good for you, just leave us PC guys the hell alone. It gets really irritating after a while. Theres no use in 'supporting' or worshipping mac or pc, the manufacturers dont love you in return. If a Mac is the best option, i will get it, if not, ill stick with PC. I have also heard that its good for design and drawing stuff and the only guys i know who worship the thing are indeed designers. As for viruses, I read that hackers decided to make viruses for windows because they were unhappy with something that Microsoft implemented in their OS so they decided to plague the whole bloody earth like little cry babies that didnt get what they wanted. There arent any viruses for Mac because they simply dont really care about Apple I guess. they dont hate it but dont bother, its just that they want to punish microsoft. Honestly, ive bought a laptop 2 years ago and ive had absolutely no problems with it, no viruses, no BSODS, nothing. Theres the random dreaded *ding* error but nothing that cant be solved. I dont believe one second that mac is absolutely bug and error free in all circumstances.

Thing is that Mac builds its rigs itself and has no other third party component that isnt specifically built for Mac. PCs offer an extremely wide range of 3rd party components which offer endless possible combinations at very competitive prices. Its amazing that it still works with all the different possibilities. Im pretty sure that if Mac worked the same way they wouldnt be as 'fast' and reliable.

mixture
23rd Nov 2009, 17:50
PCs offer an extremely wide range of 3rd party components which offer endless possible combinations at very competitive prices. Its amazing that it still works with all the different possibilities.

If you want to waste your life with drivers and resolving obscure compatability issues then fine.

But be realistic, you're not really saving anything and you'll never put together a hardware package that's as well built as a Mac for the same money. Apple spend a lot of time and many, many $$$ designing their hardware, and I'm not just talking about looks !

If you have to buy a PC, buy an HP branded unit.... HP hardware engineering is the nearest equivalent to a Mac.

Personally, I say get a Mac, a copy of VMWare Fusion and a legal Windows license.

As for people who say Mac is for "arty stuff" .... I say rubbish. Maybe in the old pre-Intel days where software choice was limited .... but now with "Intel Inside" that excuse of an excuse is gone with the wind because you can run Windows on your mac at native speed..... best of both worlds.

Its amazing that it still works with all the different possibilities

No it's not. It "works" because Microsoft are kind enough to write somewhat unoptimized code in order to ensure they can cover all bases.

And if you look hard enough within microsoft.com, I think you will find lists of "supported" hardware. Everyone has to draw a line somewhere. :cool:

Mac the Knife
23rd Nov 2009, 17:55
Well, I run XP (for games), Mepis Linux and Mac for serious stuff and OpenSolaris for fun (oh and BSD for NAS) so I guess I'm pretty catholic!

"I read that hackers decided to make viruses for windows because they were unhappy with something that Microsoft implemented in their OS so they decided to plague the whole bloody earth like little cry babies that didnt get what they wanted....its just that they want to punish Microsoft."

Well they don't punish MS, they punish the users! Naw, virus writers range from the real pros to script kiddies - they couldn't care less whose OS it is, they just aim at the biggest target. And, alas, one where 95% of users run with administrative privileges and make it easy for 'em.

:bored:

hker
23rd Nov 2009, 22:54
Well they don't punish MS

I think they do. Win viruses and spyware are one of the main reasons I switched to a Mac, and why I've never paid for a version of Windows. It could also help explain the rising Apple market share. I also avoid Microsoft Office as there seems to be regular exploits there, and in many cases, Open Office can do the job just as well (or the new software-as-service packages, like Google Docs).

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I think Windows, Linux and OSX all have their strengths and weaknesses.

FL999
24th Nov 2009, 09:53
If you want to waste your life with drivers and resolving obscure compatability issues then fine.

But be realistic, you're not really saving anything and you'll never put together a hardware package that's as well built as a Mac for the same money. Apple spend a lot of time and many, many $$$ designing their hardware, and I'm not just talking about looks !

If you have to buy a PC, buy an HP branded unit.... HP hardware engineering is the nearest equivalent to a Mac.

If i find that a mac is worth it ill definitely get one. Im not against mac. then again if im seriously limited by compatibility issues theres no use spending that much money on one when my PC's working just fine. I hear pcs are more of a pain in the proverbial but I need to be sure a Mac can cater for my needs. So many people buy a Mac, then install Windows in parallel. If OSX was so 'awesome' why cant it cater for everything? Im just curious.

mixture
24th Nov 2009, 10:04
So many people buy a Mac, then install Windows in parallel. If OSX was so 'awesome' why cant it cater for everything? Im just curious.

My own answer to that question is straightforward.

I buy a "Mac" because I know from many years of experience that I am buying a stable, well engineered hardware platform that will last.

The fact that that hardware platform comes with OS X is an added bonus, and I do 90% of my work and home stuff in the OS X environment without even making a concious effort to do so.

I have little choice to maintain Windows via WMWare Fusion because of either work requirements (Windows only software) .... or the fact that I sometimes come accross websites built by lazy, incompetent, idiotic "web designers" that only work on the latest versions of Internet Explorer or require some obscure Windows only plugins to be installed in your browser again due to the same moronic Windows only view of the world some funky web designer had. Before someone grabs it as a "I told you so" opportunity, I should point out that these sort of Windows only sites are not any of the common "popular sites" .... but more often things like car manufacturer service websites etc. where they provide special locked down PDFs that need special non Adobe viewing software.

But it's no big deal to run windows in a window .... there is absolutley no speed difference. Maybe if you're a hard core gamer, but I'm a grown up and am passed the need to run around in a virtual environment shooting aliens !

But in the end, just like the old Airbus vs Boeing debate...... there will always be two camps.

Der absolute Hammer
30th Dec 2009, 13:03
I am sure that these questions have been asked before but I wonder if some of you would be kind enough to help me please wiht some advice.
I have had several PC laptops and am tired of not being able to open all the tabs which i want to and of the computer crashing, so I lose all sorts of browsing informaiton. I thought that for my next computer I would try an Apple Air-portability, lightweight. I don't do anything very complex on a machine other than store a lot of e mails and browse.
If I buy a Mac Air, and confirgured as I like, in the US, it is about £250 cheaper than in Europe/UK. I bought a Sony PC once in the States and had total problems with warantees and no back up at all and no help at all from Sony, even though I spend all my time travelling and so there was no reason why I should not have bought a PC in the USA.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

AppleMacster
30th Dec 2009, 13:07
Apple warranties on laptops are worldwide, so no problem! :ok:

Applemacster

Der absolute Hammer
30th Dec 2009, 13:08
Okaaay thank you...I am a bit bitten because that is what the Sony shop at King of Prussia, PA told me about Sony warranties and that was not the case.

AppleMacster
30th Dec 2009, 13:42
Hammer,

It's part of the "Global Repair Coverage" clause:

AppleCare FAQ (http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html)

The only caveat is:

Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability, and response time vary according to country.

However, in the US, Europe and Japan , you're pretty much sorted. If you're spending a lot of time in Africa or South America, it may be more tricky to get a problem sorted without sending the Mac away. If you get the AppleCare, there is unlimited telephone support, though for the three years. Depends what you need.

Applemacster

Der absolute Hammer
30th Dec 2009, 14:10
Thank you-very kind of you and most useful information.

Bell_Flyer
30th Dec 2009, 21:47
Hi All

I am being baffled by a network problem.

I have 2 Macs, a MBP 17 inch running Snow Leopard and an old Powerbook G4 running 10.4. Both connect to a no security (ie no password wireless) network at home. "Suddenly" the MBP will not join the wireless network (A DSL model D-Link). Error message when running diagnostics of "Unable to join Airport network.....". The G4 works just fine.

Have tried rebooting both devices ie the MBP and the D-Link. The MBP will work fine with a cable attached to the D-Link but not wirelessly!

Any ideas?

Thanks
BF

Saab Dastard
30th Dec 2009, 22:39
Can the MBP see other wireless networks? Can the MBP see the G4 over wireless?

Could the wifi NIC in the MBP be faulty?

SD

Bell_Flyer
30th Dec 2009, 22:56
That's the odd thing Saab. Under "shared" in the FINDER, I can see the Powerbook and connect to it (ie login) and access my old files there!

How do I check the wifi NIC?

thanks

Saab Dastard
31st Dec 2009, 10:29
Under "shared" in the FINDER, I can see the Powerbook and connect to it (ie login) and access my old files there!

If you are doing that over the wifi link (not cabled), then you have already demonstrated that it's working!

Is it possible that you have set the wifi NIC on the MBP to access Ad-hoc (Computer-Computer) networks ONLY?

Otherwise, have you set up MAC-address filtering on the wifi access point?

Are you sure that the MBP is trying to connect to your AP, and not some other one?

Another possibility is that you have set up security (WPA or WEP) on the access point. Or possibly told the MBP to use it when not required.

Given that you have no security on the wifi network, could someone else have changed anything?

SD

Bell_Flyer
1st Jan 2010, 00:02
Thanks Saab. My wireless connection via the MBP is completely dead. So, I plug in an ethernet cable to access the net. However, via this cable, I can see other wireless devices that are connected to the router.

Here's something really interesting:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Dropping Wi FI Signal ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2142725&start=420&tstart=0)

A few people are having my problem. Ever since I upgraded to SL, weird stuff happens like losing effects on iPhoto slide shows and so on. I made a post a few months ago on this thread and love showing it to the Apple 'genius' folks in Apple shops that I visit.

Back to the problem, I now put on a pw on the router, everything that used to connect to it won't until I enter that password on ea of the devices, ie the Powerbook, a Vista machine and the iPhones. The MBP wireless remains dead as a dodo.

All points to a problem with Apple's AIRPORT upgrade with SL.

No one else knows how to change the router as I am the de facto tech "expert".

Any ideas? I keep defending and loving Apple products but am beginning to look silly with these SL bugs! Thanks for your help.

Saab Dastard
1st Jan 2010, 10:32
Given the facts you proved, I would suspect either 1) the MBP has "lost" the driver for the wifi NIC, or 2) the wifi NIC has done a Norwegian Blue (shuffled off...).

SD

The Nr Fairy
2nd Jan 2010, 05:47
Work is buying me a shiny new MBP. I want to migrate as much as I can automatically - has anyone used the Migration Assistant, and is it any good ?

What about Darwin ports and other apps (VMware Fusion, Caffeine, and the like) which add kernel extensions or startup items ?

TightSlot
2nd Jan 2010, 07:45
Migration Assistant worked just fine for me, when I moved to my shiny new 27" iMac a few days ago (it's beautiful). I used an ethernet cable to connect and it was from one Snow Leopard to another.

I have very few third party apps - I would guess that if it's going to go bad anywhere, there it would be. Otherwise, a perfect transition, but then it's a mac experience.

Did I mention that I have a shiny new 27" iMac and it's beautiful? I'm stroking it now.

Bell_Flyer
3rd Jan 2010, 09:44
Given the facts you proved, I would suspect either 1) the MBP has "lost" the driver for the wifi NIC, or 2) the wifi NIC has done a Norwegian Blue (shuffled off...).

Saab - You are right. Airport just started working again! I am baffled by it all. Many thanks for your input.

BusyB
3rd Jan 2010, 15:58
Having a problem since I set up SL. Mail messages freeze with destination address and I cannot write message or title. Any ideas please. (also set up google apps address so wondering if that has affected Mail).
Thanks in advance for any advice:confused:

Bell_Flyer
14th Jan 2010, 09:18
Saab - I thought I'd post this thread on how I solved the SL Wifi problem:

Apple - Support - Discussions - WiFi trouble since Snow Leopard Upgrade ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2138705&tstart=0)

It is not a hardware problem, strange enuf!

Saab Dastard
14th Jan 2010, 10:32
THanks BF - and I thought PCs were bad... ;)

SD

Bell_Flyer
15th Jan 2010, 08:06
Yeah, I know. But here's the weird bit. Why two resets instead of one? I do one and the problem stays. I reset twice, the problem disappears....

I get the feeling that tech support in Apple has little influence over the guys who actually fix bugs.

Senior Pilot
15th Jan 2010, 09:08
I'm glad that I picked this up earlier: I just started a new MB Air, and after transferring all from the old Air the wireless wouldn't connect to the internet. New Network profile, and Robert's your mother's brother :ok:

Bell_Flyer
16th Jan 2010, 20:42
Senior Pilot, here are a few more things you will discover with wireless on your new MBP (or Air) and SL.

1. You will go to different wireless hotspots - sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't - meanwhile you will suffer the indignity of your Windows buddies having theirs work all the time.

2. You will delete and create new dummy locations. The new Automatic will sometimes NOT work at all - even if u restart your new MBP twice, start new dummy locations, force a renew of DHCP lease on TCP/IP and so on.

3. The MOST reliable way is to carry an ethernet cable with you ie you remain tethered to the wall whilst in a different hotspot.

4. You can demo the fault to an Apple expert at a "genius" bar (I did in Sydney and in Singapore) and they will tell you it is a "known fault".

5. If you Google "Snow Leopard and WiFi problem" the most subscribed to thread on the Apple Support forum is the SL/WiFi problem thread - and guess what? Not a squeak from Apple on this.

Unfortunately, and out of desperation, I have reverted to my old G4 laptop running Tiger with absolutely zero problems on WiFi when I absolutely need wireless to file flight plans or get the weather.

I hope Steve Jobs gets better and forces Apple to fix these problems!

BF

Senior Pilot
18th Jan 2010, 00:58
Bell_Flyer,

It's my 3rd MB Air, and I've taken the others all around the world with nary a problem: wireless connections have been fine to date. I understand the issues with Snow Leopard, and only have a problem ATM with scanning (on HP) with my iMac.

But thanks anyway ;)

SpringHeeledJack
18th Jan 2010, 08:00
It's my 3rd MB Air, and I've taken the others all around the world with nary a problem

SP, what have you been doing to have had 3 MB Airs in such a short period ? Are they that fragile ? :uhoh:

SHJ

Senior Pilot
18th Jan 2010, 08:51
Errr, no! My original was left in a cab (never returned, replaced under insurance) and I recently upgraded the replacement to the current 2.13GHz with Solid State drive, giving the old one to No 1 son :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
18th Jan 2010, 12:09
Good for you sir! How does the solid state HD compare with the older spinners that we plebs are using ? :) Is there much of a difference in real life situations performance wise ?

SHJ

Pitts2112
18th Jan 2010, 12:51
Hello,

I was wondering if the collective knowledge base of Pprune might be able to point me in the direction of an inexpensive source for a replacement logic board for a white Macbook? The Service center here wants a huge amount of dosh to replace it and suggested I might source the part cheaper by buying a damaged Macbook and salvaging the logic board. Any other ideas? I love my Mac but the repair cost is getting close to replacement cost. :(

Cheers!

SpringHeeledJack
18th Jan 2010, 13:41
Although you might be able to locate a logicboard for the iBook, will you be able to take the old one out and have the new one fitted ? I'm led to believe that it's not the easiest of the repairs that one can do and therefore might be v expensive to do. This place, for example TheBookYard : UK Apple spare parts specialist (http://www.bookyard.com) are a source, but it will depend where you are located. I've seen mention of suppliers in both Hong Kong and the USA. Hope this helps.

SHJ

Pitts2112
18th Jan 2010, 21:47
Thanks, SHJ. It hadn't occurred to me that there was such a thing as a computer breakers' yard. I've found a couple of websites based on your suggestion. I think this is going to be a much cheaper way to do it. I'll still have it replaced by a technician, but sourcing the parts either in the US or UK, or even buying used rather than new, might save me a bundle.

Two questions if anyone can answer them for me, please:

I have a 2006 MAcbook white. Will ALL Macbook logicboards fit and work in it?

Is there any real risk in installing a second-hand one from a reputable source?

Many thanks,
Shawn

Senior Pilot
18th Jan 2010, 22:14
Pitts,

Much as I like Mac, there's absolutely no way I'd buy one and not take out AppleCare. My daughter's MB Pro has had over £2000 of repairs due to her 'feminine' outlook towards computer care, all covered by AppleCare. Well worth a few £'s outlay, IMO :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
19th Jan 2010, 07:41
I have a 2006 MAcbook white. Will ALL Macbook logicboards fit and work in it?

Is there any real risk in installing a second-hand one from a reputable source?

Well there are many better placed to answer that, but it seems to me that there is a specific 'architecture' within the Macs and to change that brings with it the potential for malfunction. Like for like would be best, which will depend on you finding out which 2006 MacBook you have. Info should be available under 'about this mac' when you click on the Apple icon, top left.

There will always be a risk with 2nd hand components, but they are usually tested and guaranteed for a few months. Also make sure that you and your technician are wearing an earthing device when handling the board :ok:

In retrospect i would always get the Applecare with a new mac. I've been very fortunate not to have had any problems, others have been less so....

Finally, have you considered buying a 2nd hand replacement on eBay,(usually from someone who simply wants to upgrade) and sell yours 'as is' for all those who need parts or a project to fix ? Just a thought.

SHJ

Mac the Knife
4th Feb 2010, 07:15
My old Mac Mini (Intel Core Duo at 1.66GHz) was running s-l-o-w despite de-crapifying and checking permissions etc.

So just on general principles I doubled the system memory from 1GB to 2GB.

MUCH better now - really quite sprightly!

For what its worth...............

Mac

Replace the slow pissy little original 60GB hard drive next.

Mac the Knife
5th Feb 2010, 12:55
.....and just stuffed in a Western Digital 320GB drive.

Cloning the original drive was simple with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Despite all the dire warnings I was able to move my home directory to a different partition (hate mixing system and data files on the same partition) and Tiger coped with it without problems.

Nice little box now.

Mac

rgbrock1
5th Feb 2010, 13:13
Actually Mac, I hate mixing system and data files on the same drive.
It's good to use different partitions to separate the two from each other.
But if the drive goes belly up, it doesn't matter. My personal and data files
are always on a different drive. Also makes a system restore that much easier.

Mac the Knife
5th Feb 2010, 14:16
I quite agree and all my big boxes have the system and data components on different drives (actually a lot of the common data is on a RAID 1 physically separate fileserver).

But for systems that only allow one physical hard drive, like the Mac Mini and laptops, at least separating data from the system on different partitions is cleaner than lumping it all together (and, as you say, makes re-imaging or restoring a system much easier).

Cheers!

PS: And the fileserver rsyncs periodically to another fileserver at some distance which maintains daily, weekly and monthly backups on (of course) separate physical drives. FreeNAS - FreeNAS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS) - how I love it!

rgbrock1
5th Feb 2010, 15:38
Thanks for the link to FreeNAS Mac, I didn't know about this!
This opens up a world of possibilities. :ok:

innuendo
5th Feb 2010, 16:17
Mac, please forgive me if this falls under "Teach your Grandmother etc."
but when you ,

....and just stuffed in a Western Digital 320GB drive.

Cloning the original drive was simple with Carbon Copy Cloner.

did you partition the drive GUID?

The reason I ask is that CCC can replicate your previous drive on the new one and everything will seem identical however I found out the hard way that without partitioning the new drive GUID you cannot install any OS updates nor can the OS be re-installed.
The partition need only be a single one, it is not necessary to split up the drive but the Mac system needs the GUID type of partition.

PS. The tech who did this to my MBP was an Apple authorized tech but was not aware of the requirement.

Again if this is not news I apologize but it may be news to others.

Mac the Knife
5th Feb 2010, 16:34
Hmmm. As far as I remember, I did! Don't have the machine here so I can't check.

I bought an external drive case and the 320GB drive, used Disk Utility to partition it into System (80GB) and Data (the rest). Then used CCC to copy the original drive to System. Then booted from the new drive to make sure all was OK. Swapped the drives and copied my data /User/mac over to Data and then changed the pointer in whatever it is to point to /Volume/Data/mac. Changed the name of the original /User/mac to /User/mac.old (for deletion later if all is OK).

Rebooted and all seems fine. But I'll recheck tomorrow at work.

Thanks for heads up!

Mac

(bit of a PITA physically changing drives in the Mac Mini)

Saab Dastard
5th Feb 2010, 16:36
innuendo - thanks for bringing this up - I've now done some reading around GPT & EFI, which is good stuff.

There's a very useful article on intel-based Macs on SourceForge.net:

rEFIt - Myths and Facts About Intel Macs (http://refit.sourceforge.net/myths/)

SD

Bell_Flyer
5th Feb 2010, 18:08
Wow, some awesome advice here.

Does SL or Leopard need de-fragmenting or does it do it automatically? I have always wondered that.

Performance wise data partitions run so much quicker when files are contiguous - at least that is what I've found with clunky Windows.

Where can I get a copy of CCC?

Shunter
5th Feb 2010, 19:35
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=carbon+copy+cloner)

innuendo
5th Feb 2010, 20:34
SD,
I am not familiar with GPT/EFT issues. The GUID requirement I only found out about when I tried to install an OS update.
I got a message telling me that it could not be done. The initial cause of this whole thing was due to the "Authorized Apple Service' installing a larger drive in my MBP without partitioning it GUID.
I would have understood partitioning to be dividing the drive into, well, partitions however it can remain one single partition, but for Apple OS it is necessary to install either the OS or updates.

I doubt that drives from most of the manufacturers would be partitioned for this Apple requirement, my WD 320GB was not.

CCC and I believe Super Duper, will copy over verbatim all your old drive including the OS, to a new one and all will appear normal until you try to install/re-install the OS or an update.

Disk utility has the tools to do the partition.

In my case I copied the entire new drive contents, (it had been in use for some time), to an external. I had the original that had been replaced in another external housing with the all original content intact.
I used it as the boot drive then formatted and partitioned the "new" disk and copied the cloned content from the external. Bit of a chore but I did the copying overnight.

As a matter of interest, the first clone I did I connected using an Express card via E-SATA and it took 3 hours. The final copy back to the "New" drive would not work by E-SATA for some reason, it took about eleven hours by USB.
Sorry for the rambling but some of the techs that work both Apple and PCs may not be aware of the partition requirements.

Mac the Knife
6th Feb 2010, 08:34
Hmmmm...... Interesting.....

My partition scheme does appear to be APS rather than GUID so firmware updates probably won't work.

On the other hand, current firmware is the latest - MM11.0055B08 (EFI 1.1) and 13f4 (SMC 1.0) and Apple probably won't update for this older Mac Mini.

Software updates and the machine work fine so I don't think I'm going to worry about it. If I ever need to reinstall OSX on this drive I'll just image the Data partition, repartition as GUID, install OSX on the primary partition and restore the image to the secondary one.

A most interesting little detour around the Mac ecosystem!

Thanks innuendo and the rest of you!

Mac

PS: Linux (and my long-time fave is MEPIS - https://www.mepis.org/ ) is easier to manage and has fewer odd little surprises like this)

jxc
11th Feb 2010, 21:13
Help

My son wants a apple thingy mainly for use for music tech studies and gaming
mainly wants to run a program called LOGIC PRO. Does not what spec apple to get

I want him to go for a Windoze but he uses apple at school and he wants to take his work home ( dedication ) is there a program for windows that will run LOGIC PRO for apple ?

Suggestions

Cheers

PPLWannabe
11th Feb 2010, 21:29
Well you'll only be able to run Logic Pro on a Mac (Logic 5 was the last for Windows native executables), but if you get a decent Mac you can use bootcamp to boot it into Windows to play games. Otherwise persuade him to use Reason 4 ;)

Many games are now coming out on the Mac natively, however it depends what sort of game he wants to play. For example FSX won't run nice, but X-Plane will, you can get Football Manager for both Windows and Mac.

I use Windows at home (for FSX) and work, but most of my home stuff is on Linux and Mac - I find programming easier on a 'nix platform for some reason. My gaming machine (the Windows one) is a reasonably serious rig and I'd recommend Windows over Mac for that area. For everything else (music, video, programming, document writing, website building, anything else...) I'd recommend the easier, 'cleaner' Mac OSx or Fedora, but then I've not yet put my Windows7 CD in to have a go...

jxc
11th Feb 2010, 21:38
Games wise I think he is into just mass murder shooting and blood baths :ugh:

PPLWannabe
11th Feb 2010, 21:55
That'll be the windows route then!

I'd suggest a compromise - a cheapish 'Mac (I know, that doesn't really exist) for the work and music, a console for games... I'm sure plenty of hack'n'slash exist on the 360 and the ps3.

Mac the Knife
12th Feb 2010, 03:47
Get him a top-of-the range Mac Mini

Mac

Skittles
12th Feb 2010, 04:22
Apple don't like you using apple operating systems/programs on anything except an apple system. There is no direct program you can install.

However, apple sell their operating system seperately, as they do with logic pro....

Bit of tinkering required, google has the answers.

The downside is that Apple won't support you if you cock things up.

jxc
12th Feb 2010, 07:06
hi again, my son says he wouldn't actually use it much for gaming and if he did it would be for games that don't require much power. Mainly used for Logic Pro.

He also asks is it worth even more money to get snow leopard on it as well?

Bushfiva
12th Feb 2010, 07:38
You need Snow Leopard and a Core Duo processor if you want to run LogicPro 9.1 in 64-bit mode. Otherwise you need OS X v10.5.7 or higher. You also need a 1280-pixel -wide screen. This is assuming we're talking about LP9.1 with all the extras.

jxc
13th Feb 2010, 11:20
A friend of his has bought logic pro do you know if it can be loaded onto 2 machines ?

aviate1138
14th Feb 2010, 08:46
Defragment a Mac?

Apple says not really, OSX does it for you, read on........

About disk optimization with Mac OS X (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375?viewlocale=en_US)

rgbrock1
17th Feb 2010, 15:30
All,

I'm actually posting this for my son who has a problem with his old iMac G4. (The older one which looks like a lamp!)

Seems he had accounts on the iMac for himself, my other son and their mother. According to my son, one evening they had a power failure at their home and the next morning instead of being greeted by the "normal" log in screen on the iMac he was surprised to see a generic-looking one. This may well be the Administrator account he's looking at but I don't know as I have no access to his iMac. He's tried all passwords he can think of and nothing works.

The iMac in question is running OS X (10.2?). So, anyone have an idea on what happened to the login screen and, if so, had to get it back?

Thanks in advance.

Bell_Flyer
19th Feb 2010, 08:44
Thanks aviate1138 - many, many years ago I worked on pre-historic removable 300MB disk drives larger than washing machines and we had to de-frag all the time - that's probably scarred me into thinking drives have to be de-fragmented.

rgbrock1
19th Feb 2010, 16:43
Mac OS X is based on the Mach Kernel. Other parts of the OS come from NextStep, FreeBSD and NetBSD. All of which are mainly Unix-based. Thus Mac OS X has gained, since OS X 10.5 Unix 03 certification.

The point being? Unix/Linux desktops and servers do not really experience file fragmentation. And certainly not on the order of Windows-based systems.

You may very well defrag. a Mac OS X file system but it is not a necessity.

ChristiaanJ
7th Mar 2010, 15:09
I use a PC, herself uses a Mac.

To save a file from a link (say an article in .pdf format from a link quoted here in the forum), I just right-click and select "Save Link Target As...." in the drop-down menu.
Elementary.

Except... on the Mac there IS no right mouse button....
So she regularly gets stuck.... when there is no "Download" somewhere on the page or in the application she's using.
Since I'm pretty well Mac-illiterate, I'm stuck too...
Any help greatly appreciated.

BTW, she uses Firefox and Safari, and OS X.

CJ

seekayess
7th Mar 2010, 16:12

First off, of course, you CAN use a mouse on the Mac -- there is a lovely 5-button mouse available, if you must!

And then, just remember: On a Mac, Control-Click = Mouse Right-Click on Doze!

Why don't you get wiser, considering that Mrs C-J is so much smarter, huh? :O

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 18:32
Apologies for not taking in all the pages here, but can I install and run the Mac OS on a bare-bones PC to reduce costs, and what spec would I need and hurdles to jump?

MacBoero
7th Mar 2010, 19:01
Do a Google search for Hackintosh. Never tried it myself, as I buy Macintosh computers myself, albeit older ones from eBay. I have been buying 17" Mac laptops, my first for £400, it was a few years old and was over £2000 new. My latest is a 2006 model MacBook Pro, which again was probably around £2000 when new. The wife uses the old one. I have never felt the need to buy a brand new one.

Background Noise
7th Mar 2010, 19:25

You can also set up a Mac mouse to have a right click. It only has one button but has some sort of transducer thing underneath which senses the presence of left or right fingers.

ChristiaanJ
7th Mar 2010, 19:41
First off, of course, you CAN use a mouse on the Mac -- there is a lovely 5-button mouse available, if you must!Aye, aye, sir...
Herself has a MacBook and insists on using the "mouse pad", rather than get a mouse.
Who am I to argue with her?

Five-button mouse is new to me... used a three-button mouse for years, and now a two-button one plus thumbwheel.

And then, just remember: On a Mac, Control-Click = Mouse Right-Click on Doze!Tah, I'll get her to try that tomorrow.

Why don't you get wiser, considering that Mrs C-J is so much smarter, huh? :OBlame it on Airbus....
The first Airbus DAFS were Intel, so I was brought up on MDS, then PC, etc. Never got out of the rut, LOL
Also, the Apple II was about the only one with a decent amount of expansion slots.... idea then taken over by IBM. Ever since, when I needed something for a special app, needing add-in boards, the PC was the logical choice.

CJ

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 19:46
Thanks for the pointer, 'mac'.

Mac the Knife
8th Mar 2010, 05:40
I bought a 2TB Time Capsule and I find it hideously slow even when direct wired to the network.

I later got a Western Digital MyBook World Edition (1TB) and it's far faster (and more flexible for storage)

Any comments from the floor?

Mac

PS: I'm still on Tiger so Time Machine doesn't work

aviate1138
8th Mar 2010, 07:50
A woman was helping her husband set up his computer and, at the appropriate point in the process, she told him that he would now need to enter a password. Something he could remember easily and would use each time he had to log on.

The husband was a bit bored by the process and, feeling in a rather amorous mood, figured he would try for the shock effect to bring this to his wife's attention. So, when the computer asked him to enter his password, he paused for effect, then letter by letter, with his wife watching over his shoulder, he keyed in ......

P
E
N
I
S

His wife fell off her chair laughing when the computer replied:

PASSWORD REJECTED.... ... NOT LONG ENOUGH

MacBoero
8th Mar 2010, 16:14
I have a 500GB TimeCapsule, but I use Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard so I am able to use TimeMachine with it. Yes it took all night to do the initial back-up, so it is pretty slow, but now it only needs to do incrementals every hour, whilst it is switch on at home. It does this silently in the background, so I don't have to do huge back up regimes every week or whatever.

I luckily haven't had to rely on it because of a serious failure, but I was very glad of it when I moved up to the MacBook Pro from the PowerBook G4. When I clean installed the OS on the MacBook, it noted that I had a TimeCapsule and did I want to restore all user accounts and applications to the new machine. I did this and was surprised to see that everything was in exactly the same place as the old machine, right down to icon positioning on the desktop. Now THAT is how backup and restore should work!

Tosh McCaber
9th Mar 2010, 19:33
Wasn't sure whether this should be a standalone, or one for Mac Corner thread. Hoever I wanted to get it to as many replies as can help!

I bought my wife an IPod Nano for her birthday a few days ago, to replace an older IPod Classic that we’ve shared for years. She tried plugging it in today to her (Apple) computer, for the first time. She is having problems, in that it fails to connect, because it appears that her MacOS 10.3.9 is out of date, and not compatible with the Nano. We’re not sure whether the incompatibility is with the computer, or ITunes.

It’s not as though we have OS 9, or earlier, which would make a bit more sense, but surely IPods should be at least some ways backwards compatible with earlier software? Seems a pretty poor show.

Or are we failing to resolve something here?

Has anyone got any clues as to a fix for the problem, (other than going out and buying another £1000 Applemac?) Any help will be appreciated.

P.Pilcher
9th Mar 2010, 19:58
Tosh - I may be totally out of line here with regard to your problem, but the following information may be of assistance to someone if not your good self:

Several years ago, I was given an iPod with about 3.5 Gb of memory. I downloaded iTunes and after a bit of a struggle - well I am using XP on the other type of computer, I managed to make the program do what it said on the tin. With loads of tunes on my iPod, and a decent set of headphones, it worked beautifully. I never ipdated my music collection on it for a number of years and then lost its computer lead, but in the meantime iTunes had updated itself several times. Finally, I decided that some more music was needed so I purchased a new interface lead, iPod to computer at Apple's humungeous prices. On connecting iPod to computer, the battery charged up, but that was all it did. There was no way I could get the current version of iTunes to interface with my 3 year old iPod and revise its music collection despite many, many attempts.
I therefore determined that the iPod was bust, the new lead was faulty, or that the latest version of iTunes would not interface with my iPod.
and thus revisited my local Apple store from which I acquired my new lead.
They were extremely helpful despite me making it clear that I didn't want to buy a new Mac! My iPod and lead were tested and their current copy of iTunes promptly uploaded a bit of fresh music onto my iPod. Then they considered my dilemma and I was advised that my virus protection (Avast) was interfering with iTunes. I was thus instructed to download a new copy of my virus protector and a new copy of iTunes. Then, after disconnecring my machine from t'internet, instructed to delete my virus protection and iTunes. Then I was to re-install my latest copy of iTunes, then do likewise with my new copy of Avast. I did so, reconnected to t'internet, updated everything that wanted updating and then, with baited breath, connected up my old iPod. Guess what - iTunes worked beautifully and my music collection on the iPod has now been updated as required!

Now, I appreciate that it isn't the same with a Mac, but the order in which software us installed may also be significant. Furthermore, your local Apple store may well prove to be as helpful as mine was. Full marks to them for this, completely free, service.

P.P.

Miserlou
9th Mar 2010, 21:35
:ugh:
Don't trust them. Only call or believe them if it is a very simple question.

I recently bought a Magic Mouse and jolly sexy it is too.:ok:
But I couldn't get it to connect. Download the new software update, yes. Turn off, turn on, turn around, touch your toes. Nothing worked.
After considerable time (3 hours) spent with Applecare on the phone and carrying out their instructions I was still no further than when I started.
Called a friend who came round with his macbook and connected with the mouse without difficulty.
So Applecare suggested a clean install of OSX. My mate thought that rather extreme and suggested I search the interweb and suggested a couple of Mac forums.

So, 5 minutes later I had removed the USBOverdrive.kext and installed my Magic Mouse!!!

Difference was that I had removed USBOverdrive but the kext remained. My mate also had UsbOverdrive installed so it was the leftover kext which was causing the failure to connect somehow.

MacBoero
9th Mar 2010, 22:56
Tosh McCaber, the newer 3rd generation Nanos need Mac OS X 10.4 or later I believe.

planecrazy.eu
16th Mar 2010, 14:45
Hi

I am looking to buy an MacBook Pro, the prices are close to 1500 for the one i need, but i have noticed they go for around 1k second hand, around a year or so old.

My worry is, i have heard bad things with apples going wrong, but i dont have any hard evidence of this. Logic Board springs to mind? is this just a fancy name for mother-board?

So i was thinking, is it a good idea to save the cash and buy a second hand one, or go for brand new?

Is apple care a good idea?

Thanks for any help

MacBoero
17th Mar 2010, 13:01
I only ever bought one Apple computer new, an Apple iMac DVSE (well two if you include the iPod Touch!). Since then I have had a series of second hand Apple laptops, all of which still work. I suppose anything second hand is a gamble, the trade off if is this:

Buy new : More expensive and actually more likely to develop a fault, but you get waranty cover.

Buy second hand : Cheaper, and by this point, if it is still working, it is actually less likely to develop a fault due to a manufacturing defect. You are likely to experience age related failures though, but this is typically of easily replaced parts like hard drives, optical drives and fans.

Apollo30
20th Mar 2010, 20:50
Yes, some of the elder MBPs had errors and problem with the logic boards. They also got too hot. The recent models should be better.

mixture
20th Mar 2010, 22:50
Buy new : More expensive and actually more likely to develop a fault

Yawn .... just how is a new machine "more likely" to develop a fault ? Do you realise just how many millions of dollars Apple ploughs into R&D, part of which takes into account historical issues to make a better new product.

Yes, some of the elder MBPs had errors and problem with the logic boards. They also got too hot. The recent models should be better.

Don't forget the newer models have a completely re-designed chassis.... they now laser carve it out of one solid block of aluminium .... this has a number of benefits, one of which is improved heat dissipation.

See Apple video about new chassis concept and how it is machined http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/mac/macbook/2008/designvideo/apple_new_macbook_video_20081014_r848-9cie.mov

I've owned the older models and now own the new chassis based model..... it's a fantastic mobile workhorse ! And the "unibody" chassis is outstanding, there is really nothing else like it on the market, and I've seen what most manufacturers have to offer..... their stuff looks like plastic tat in comparison.

MacBoero
22nd Mar 2010, 21:31
Yawn .... just how is a new machine "more likely" to develop a fault ? Do you realise just how many millions of dollars Apple ploughs into R&D, part of which takes into account historical issues to make a better new product.

Never heard of the bathtub curve then?

No! Thought not! :ugh:

mixture
22nd Mar 2010, 23:34
Never heard of the bathtub curve then?

No! Thought not!

No, I haven't. And I honestly couldn't care less about some random theoretical curve. :ugh:

I only ever bought one Apple computer new, an Apple iMac DVSE (well two if you include the iPod Touch!). Since then I have had a series of second hand Apple laptops, all of which still work.

If that's your sole exposure to Apple products, then I don't think you've got anywhere near enough practical experience, trying to fob me off with some theoretical curve won't cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Apple products are perfect. But I think you need to understand that a lot more effort goes into them than your average laptop/desktop which is just made up from a bunch of third party components picked off the shelf and held together with a whole ton of mandatory drivers you need to install to make it work.

Anyhow, look, I don't want this to turn ugly, so shall we agree to disagree ? :ok:

Gentleman Jim
23rd Mar 2010, 15:00
I was using my laptop ok last night. I closed the lid as I was going for a shower, came back, opened it up...Nothing! Pressed all the usual. return. space, mouse key, anything to get the log in screen to come on. Lots of whirring that felt like the DVD drive, bottom right corner, but nothing else. The small light near the opening catch was glowing dimly but the 'apple' at the back on the lid was unlit. I pressed the off button, could here the computer power off. I press it on and it clicks and I get the whirring and rather louder than normal noises from what I think is the DVD drive, after 30 seconds as normal the disk drive powers down all goes quiet and the lights are as described above. No flicker at all from the screen, no opening 'noise' through the speakers, just nothing. I have turned it on and off many times. Taken the battery out. I then thought maybe it's booting up but the screen has gone, so I connected it to my projector, still nothing at all.

Any ideas from the resident guru's? Mayday!

Gentleman Jim

smallfry
23rd Mar 2010, 15:40
two things to try before panic-ing..
try the brightness control, it can be wound right down and the screen is working just dark...
failing that try starting up holding the Alt key.. should get you to the 'which drive do you want to boot from?' screen. could be its trying to boot from the DVD drive and there is nothing there?...

failing that, somebody else will no doubt have some better ideas...

good luck

Gentleman Jim
23rd Mar 2010, 15:56
smallfry

I excitedly tried the alt key thing, nothing but the whirring of the DVD, seems to actually last about 60 secs. I had already played with the brightness.

Gentleman Jim

smallfry
23rd Mar 2010, 16:03
Sorry to hear that.
I tried the brightness and it also turned off the apple logo, so i hoped that it was the problem.
Do you still have the discs which shipped with the computer?.. try to put the install disk in and start holding the Alt key..
Failing that, I will have to hope someone else has some ideas..

good luck...

Gentleman Jim
23rd Mar 2010, 17:08
Smallfry
No apologies needed, you have been very helpful. Your post led me to a Mac troubleshooting site, but still no luck.

It definitely seems to be the DVD that is whirring away. I get no start up chime and no screen visuals at all, just black screen.

I do know that the battery is buggered, it holds its charge for maybe 20 mins, so I normally just use the macbook with the power lead connected. There is power going to the computer, even without the external connected. Battery underneath is showing 4 lights, so I guess 75-80%.

edit
sorry meant to say, there is a disk (dvd movie) in the drive and I cannot eject it, so can't try anything with original disks etc.

Gentleman Jim

Saab Dastard
23rd Mar 2010, 18:04
there is a disk (dvd movie) in the drive and I cannot eject it, so can't try anything with original disks etc.

Is there a pinhole in the front of the DVD player? You should be able to shove in a (straightened) paperclip (with the power off) to open the tray.

SD

AppleMacster
23rd Mar 2010, 18:07
You could try starting up holding down the mouse/trackpad button. This should eject a disk on startup if there aren't any other problems. I've had this once where it didn't work, but it turned out that Applemacster Nº1 Son had managed to put two DVDs in the MacBook's drive...

Applemacster

Pelikanpete
23rd Mar 2010, 22:36
Remove the battery and power lead then hold down the power button for more than five seconds. Then replace the battery and power lead and try starting. This will reset the power management settings back to default - they may have some how got corrupted.

If this does not work try switching on whilst holding down CMD, ALT, P and R. Do not release these keys until you have heard the chime noise a second time then allow it to restart normally. This will reset any corrupted display setting etc. that might be preventing a normal start up.

Hope one of these fixes your problem.

As stated by a previous poster switching on whilst holding the track pad button down should cause the DVD drive to eject after a few seconds - do not release the button until the drive actually ejects. This is probably not your problem though (unless the DVD in the drive is a recognised start up disk).

BusyB
24th Mar 2010, 07:49
I had a very similar problem with the screen which turned out to be a lead problem requiring a new screen (under warranty). It was possible to see very faintly items on the screen but no brightness was possible. If you have the facility to plug in an external monitor you may be able to check this.:ok:

Gentleman Jim
24th Mar 2010, 11:12
BusyB

I tired plugging in to my projector, to check that, but no joy. The problem is at the moment I am nowhere near an Apple repair centre.

Gentleman Jim

ORAC
24th Mar 2010, 11:40
Try a bit of cardboard - see here. (http://www.silvermac.com/2006/dvd-stuck-in-macbook-pro/)

dubh12000
28th Mar 2010, 12:12
Guys and gals, I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the Apple website. Can I play Blu-rays on the newer iMacs?

ORAC
28th Mar 2010, 12:33
No, Mac does not support BluRay because of disagreements concerning licensing issues.

dubh12000
28th Mar 2010, 14:22
Oh poo.....

Thanks for the heads up.

AppleMacster
28th Mar 2010, 14:33
Steve Jobs described it thus:

"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. I don't mean from the consumer point of view. It's great to watch movies, but the licensing is so complex. We're waiting until things settle down, and waiting until Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace before we burden our customers with the cost of the licensing and the cost of the drives."

So, never say "never". I think the Apple aim is to download HD movies via iTunes, cutting out the middleman of physical media altogether.

Applemacster

mcdhu
29th Mar 2010, 18:56
Gents,

After 10 years of PC, I've been persuaded that Mac is the way ahead by legions of colleagues and friends. I propose imminently to get a 21.5" iMac for all the usual purposes. As ever, the start is the most confusing, so I would be grateful for basic advice on the following points for Day 1! (I have read as much of this thread as I have time for):

Any need for antivirus yet?
The best way to transfer 20Gb of iTunes music from PC to Mac (it is backed up on a 30G iPod)
Office for Mac or Open Office or iWork for docs/WP etc.
Any need to tweak my Netgear DG834Gv3 to operate the iMac wirelessly?
Likewise the Canon Pixma MP520 Printer which is wired to the main household PC(which will stay)?

Many thanks
mcdhu

AppleMacster
29th Mar 2010, 19:17
mcdhu,

Welcome to Macintosh! :ok:

Any need for antivirus yet?
No. It invariably makes the computer slower and is *totally* unecessary.

The best way to transfer 20Gb of iTunes music from PC to Mac (it is backed up on a 30G iPod)

Migrate iTunes from PC to Mac (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8521.html)

Office for Mac or Open Office or iWork for docs/WP etc.

For maximum compatibility, Office is the best choice, if you are exchanging a lot of work between PCs and your Mac. OpenOffice is free and does a really good job, but it still has a slightly "weird" feel to the user interface. iWork is the easiest to use with your Mac, giving very professional-looking results with the least effort. "Keynote" presentations are far, far easier than using Powerpoint (and look better imho), and adding pictures and other media to your documents simpler than in Office. You get a trial of iWork included with your iMac, so you can try it out and see if fulfils your needs.

Any need to tweak my Netgear DG834Gv3 to operate the iMac wirelessly?

No. It's the same as mine. Works great. Due to being on O2, who changed the way their servers allocate IPs, I had to put some non-Netgear firmware on the router so that it didn't drop the connection all the time. It was an O2 thing, not a Mac issue, though.

Likewise the Canon Pixma MP520 Printer which is wired to the main household PC(which will stay)?

The driver for your printer is included in the Mac OS 10.6 (which will be pre-installed on your iMac). It should work fine, both printing and scanning. You may have to check that the PC to which the printer is attached is set up to share the printer.
Canon Printer Drivers in Mac OS 10.6 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#canon)

Applemacster

The Nr Fairy
30th Mar 2010, 08:05
As an addendum, I'd propose you get the LARGEST iMac you can afford and / or fit on your desk and read comfortably. The resulting screen area is gorgeous.

I have seen problems (admittedly with MacBooks - the small plasticy white ones) with a specific model of Netgear wireless access point - the laptop crashes needing a reboot, but no problems on plenty of Macbook Pro living in the office. You shouldn't have problems but this was a bugger to track down.

Also, spend some money on, or reuse an existing, USB hard disk as the "Time Machine Backup" - automated easy to use backup and restore.

mcdhu
30th Mar 2010, 17:41
Thank you both AppleMacster and The Nr Fairy for the advice. I've had the tape measure out to see if a 27" would fit on the desk!!! Tight, but as one's eyesight fails perhaps there is merit in it!!

mcdhu

ZEEBEE
1st Apr 2010, 15:59
As an addendum, I'd propose you get the LARGEST iMac you can afford and / or fit on your desk and read comfortably. The resulting screen area is gorgeous.

I would most certainly endorse that.

I have a 24" IMac and it's simply stunning.

Also, if you need to run Windows programs then Parallels 5 makes Windows on the mac better than the native Windows in my opinion.

mcdhu
1st Apr 2010, 18:51
I'm convinced!! Hopefully off to order tomorrow!!

mcdhu

The Nr Fairy
2nd Apr 2010, 07:22
Hope you have fun !

Bear in mind that it works differently, not better / worse than Windows / Linux, but differently.

Keep that in mind and the initial frustrations will soon become trivial.

Bell_Flyer
4th Apr 2010, 22:37
I have a 3 year old MBP 17" which I want to swap for the latest model.

Does anyone know if I restore from Timemachine backups whether my Parallels 5 + WINDOWS + MS Office applications will be restored perfectly? What about the Mac MS Office programs?

Thanks.

BF