PDA

View Full Version : Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

mixture
11th May 2012, 16:39
PCs and Macs can file share over a network, but it can be difficult to set up. I have encountered Windows machines that refuse to mount Mac shares and vice versa, even when settings are identical to other working pairs.

Thursby Dave on a Mac.... Robert's your uncle, no probes with accessing windows shares again.

And if you really can't get shares going, you can also just resort to FTP or SFTP. The mac has both of those built-in and you can get free FTP/SFTP servers for windows.

NTFS is OK for a one way transfer from PC to Mac, as the Mac can read NTFS, but won't write to them.

When was the last time you Googled the words Mac and NTFS together ? :cool:

See Paragon NTFS for Mac or Tuxera NTFS for Mac.

Paragon also do HFS+ for Windows.

Never used em myself because I use network shares to get around the file system format problem. But they are out there !

mutt
11th May 2012, 17:16
Try Neooffice for your word processing requirements, its free! It also includes presentation, spreadsheet and database functions. As for photos, try Picassa, once again its free.

Mutt

Milo Minderbinder
11th May 2012, 17:58
Mutt

Is NeoOffice significantly different from OpenOffice / LibreOffice to use it in preference?

mutt
11th May 2012, 18:10
My limited understanding was that open office worked on PC, Neooofice worked on MAC....

Mutt

Mac the Knife
11th May 2012, 20:43
NeoOffice was created when there was no Open/LibreOffice for Mac.

Used it for a while - pretty nice.

Now that Open/LibreOffice have Mac versions, little advantage and it costs.

Mac :ok:

[sorry NeoOffice.....!]

peterh337
29th May 2012, 20:24
Under windoze this is trivial. Click on index.htm and off it goes, running the locally stored website tree off the hard drive etc.

There seems to be no obvious way of doing that on IOS. One may be able to fetch a website (going through every possible link, however) and somehow retain the cache, but the browser will reload many/most pages when you do Back etc...

The Ipad is not (yet) jailbroken but I can access some app directories using Iphone Explorer. For example I can drag/drop files into Goodreader's Documents directory and that works great for loading PDFs to read later, without messing with Itunes.

So I need an app whose Documents dir is externally accessible and which is a web browser :)

MacBoero
29th May 2012, 20:41
App store...

Atomic Web Browser
Terra Web Browser

Terra was free if I remember rightly.

peterh337
29th May 2012, 21:37
Can one access the workspace of these directly, or does it need some Itunes process?

MacBoero
29th May 2012, 22:33
I haven't looked at them for some time, but I believe one of them integrates with DropBox.

peterh337
30th May 2012, 07:31
One loses the will to live, trying to bend a Church of Jobs product to do something which their Politburo didn't intend...

mixture
30th May 2012, 12:36
peterh337 ,

Sigh.... yet more un-necessary Apple bashing. :=

To be frank, browsing websites offline is not something your average punter is ever likely to feel the urge to do, whether they use Apple, Android or something else.

As for your "Politburo didn't intend" comment.... when was the last time you were involved in quality software development ? Adding a feature like offline browsing takes more than a couple of lines of code.

Hence the functionality is not built-in. Submit a feature-request if you want it to be on their radar for future developments, just like you would with any other vendor.

peterh337
30th May 2012, 17:37
As for your "Politburo didn't intend" comment.... when was the last time you were involved in quality software development ?

Since the 1970s... continuously, embedded software for industrial use (= no bugs that any customer should discover).

Adding a feature like offline browsing takes more than a couple of lines of code.

Yes; it's called a "browser" :)

The basic issue is that IOS works hard to not expose what is normally called a "file system".

Yet, the file system is there, exposed perfectly well (to a degree supported by Apple) using widely used tools, with no jailbreaking involved.

Anyway, Atomic Web browser says it supports "Option to save webpages as HTML Only or Complete (Webarchive)" so I will give that a try :ok: One has to go online first and let it grab the whole lot, which is OK.

beardy
1st Jun 2012, 14:20
On ipad I use iSaveWeb pro

App Store - iSaveWeb - web pages saving tool (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/isaveweb-web-pages-saving/id305594530?mt=8)

It takes time to download web pages, but is very good

Rather be Gardening
8th Jun 2012, 06:38
I was checking my emails on the IPad last night (TalktTalk account). I noticed there were 4 new ones but couldn't open them, then they all disappeared - opened and unopened ones. Not in the trash. Checked the account today on the PC - none of the ones I noticed last night were there. There was one email I particularly needed to read - anyone got any idea of what went wrong and what I can do to put it right?

Milo Minderbinder
8th Jun 2012, 08:45
any chance someone else read then on another machine?

how much is in the mailbox? AOL impose a limit on how big a mailbox in their system can be. Not sure what it is, but when you hit it funny things like this can happen

Rather be Gardening
8th Jun 2012, 09:30
Hi Milo, There were only 5 emails in the inbox. Nothing in any of the other folders. Other machine (PC) was on standby, not in use when it happened.

Milo Minderbinder
8th Jun 2012, 14:20
and no chance anyone has hacked the account?

Symptoms suggest they were read and deleted from another machine - maybe by someone who has broken in.
Obviously I don't know if thats correct, but I'd treat it as time to change passwords on the account

Other logical option is that you deleted a bunch in error without realising - only you can answer to the liklihood of that

Rather be Gardening
8th Jun 2012, 18:00
No chance account was hacked - have recently changed password. I'm certain I didn't block-delete - couldn't even get the blessed things to open, then pfff, they were gone! I had a quick shufti at the TalkTalk customer forum - looks as if TT might be the cause of the problem as others are reporting missing emails/blocked accounts/unable to read mail etc. :( Can anyone recommend an alternative provider? :*

Wageslave
10th Jun 2012, 11:57
I'm new to iPad and have read about jailbreaking. Can the cognoscenti outline the whys and wherefores of this, what the advantages and uses are, and opinions on the value of the procedure?

green granite
10th Jun 2012, 12:18
It's so you can add non Apple approved applications to it. It voids the warranty.

Milo Minderbinder
10th Jun 2012, 12:21
you also run the risk of turning it into a brick if a software update is incompatible with the jailbreak

its only something to do if you want to play with alternative software, and can afford the loss

Mr Optimistic
10th Jun 2012, 12:50
a) find dark room
b) lie down:O

Ancient Observer
10th Jun 2012, 18:09
SWMBO's ipad has tempted me, but as an ignoramt soul, the future brick aspect is Apple's deterrent.

Meanwhile, if they paid tax in the UK, which they do not, I would feel happier about their monopoly pricing and tax dodging. (Sorry mixture)

Milo Minderbinder
10th Jun 2012, 18:39
the "future brick" risk only applies if you try to ***k about with it, normal use isn't a risk
if all you want to do is use it "as designed" then theres no problem.

Why would anyone want to jailbreak one anyway? I can understand and sympathise with the anti-Apple "I want my computer to be unrestricted" ethos, but when you get down to it, the things work as designed. Why bother risking breaking it? For most people they work well enough "as is"

mixture
10th Jun 2012, 20:35
Wageslave,

Rather simple really.

If you have to ask, you don't need to do it.

End of story.

mixture
10th Jun 2012, 20:38
AO,

monopoly pricing and tax dodging.

Yeah bring up the same old boring rubbish why don't you. :ugh:

I've said it once and I've said it before. They are not the only corporate doing it, and there are many corporates doing the tax thing in a much more creative way than Apple (the Financial Sector for a start has a whole discipline called "Financial Engineering" in which many large entities have a division in, a great proportion of which constitutes looking at taxation elements). I can also name you many companies with monopoly pricing (a certain well known UK telecoms brand for a start :E)

So it is not fair to bemoan and single out Apple !

Simple.

crewmeal
11th Jun 2012, 05:18
Many people jailbreak ipads and iphones because they don't want to pay for the more expensive apps. An example of this is downloading tomtom sat nav which I believe is around £50 to buy. It's the same with Android, except you 'root' your smartphone and that's more complicated to do with bigger risks.

Now Piratebay is not available in the UK because of a court ruling, there will be a lot of disappointed people out there who will have to start paying.

mixture
11th Jun 2012, 06:26
Now Piratebay is not available in the UK because of a court ruling, there will be a lot of disappointed people out there who will have to start paying.

And a good thing too. If the scum who insist on downloading or making available pirated software had any experience in the software development industry, they wouldn't do it. Infact their community service sentence should be to work for a software development company, ideally in level 1 support reading off a script all day !

Developing and maintaining quality software doesn't come cheap or easily.

Keef
11th Jun 2012, 10:19
As he said above: if you need to ask, you don't need to jailbreak it.

Apple claim it voids the warranty, but I doubt that's ever been tested in anger. If it doesn't work, they can't tell it's jailbroken. If it misbehaves, you can restore it to pre-jailbroken status.

Mine is jailbroken (as is the iPhone) because there is software I want to run that Apple don't approve of. The brick risk with those items is minimal. Messing with the innards may be more hazardous.

Milo Minderbinder
11th Jun 2012, 14:36
work for a software development company, ideally in level 1 support reading off a script all day

Please, don't remind me. I don't want to ever think about that again.....actually what was worse was taking the customer support overload calls during busy periods.

As for the PirateBay, my ISP either isn't blocking it or has been given the runaround. Blocking its a waste of time anyway - see
The Pirate Bay evades ISP blockade with IPv6, can do it 18 quintillion more times | ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/internet/130627-the-pirate-bay-evades-isp-blockade-with-ipv6-can-do-it-18-septillion-more-times)
Having said that, Mixture is totally correct when he talks about bootleg software

Mike-Bracknell
11th Jun 2012, 14:52
As for the PirateBay, my ISP either isn't blocking it or has been given the runaround. Blocking its a waste of time anyway

Technically yes, but social-engineering-wise no. If those who downloaded films and music 'for free' all day long were made to recognise the illegality of it all then it wouldn't happen. If you can, at a stroke, block the 99% of people who do it but don't know how it all works, you're much closer to a solution.

green granite
11th Jun 2012, 15:01
Yep the IPv6, address isn't blocked by BT, I've just tried it.

Do you really think they don't know it's illegal Mike? I suspect most of them do but since the possibility of being prosecuted are virtually zero they don't care.

Mike-Bracknell
11th Jun 2012, 15:18
Yep the IPv6, address isn't blocked by BT, I've just tried it.

Do you really think they don't know it's illegal Mike? I suspect most of them do but since the possibility of being prosecuted are virtually zero they don't care.

I'm sure they know it's illegal, but they think they're untouchable. Start encroaching into that comfort zone and you'll watch a lot of illegality disappear overnight.

Shunter
11th Jun 2012, 16:05
1. It is impossible to brick an iPad by jailbreaking it. A DFU-mode restore completely bypasses everything on the internal flash storage. Any software-induced system failure can be rectified.

2. Under UK consumer law Apple would have to prove that jailbreaking the device directly contributed to the reason for warranty claim.

3. Jailbreaking != piracy. Some choose to use it as a mechanism by which to facilitate it, but personally I use it to install the standard suite of Unix tools for work purposes. These tools are free and open source, hence you cannot "pirate" them. The pirates are usually children who can't afford them and hence would not buy them anyway, or adults who could afford them but would never pay because they're tight (I know plenty of these). Whilst I don't for 1 minute condone software piracy the same is true in that as it is of music; the vast majority of pirated copies do NOT represent a lost sale, a fact which content providers repeatedly ignore because it does not suit their extortion strategy.

mixture
11th Jun 2012, 17:27
2. Under UK consumer law Apple would have to prove that jailbreaking the device directly contributed to the reason for warranty claim.

Are you sure about that ?

I would argue that if Apple can demonstrate the device has been jailbroken, then they would be within their rights to make a case that the device has not been used in the manner for which it has been designed.

If you've altered the goods, which jailbreaking most certainly is, then you're deemed to have accepted them.

green granite
11th Jun 2012, 17:46
I think you might be on dodgy ground there Mixture, if you carry that to it's logical conclusion if you buy a PC that has, say, McAfee pre-installed and remove it you void the warranty. Besides eventually, if you take it that far, it would be the court to says whether or not it voided the warranty, they might decide for example the law of unreasonable contract applies.

mixture
12th Jun 2012, 07:36
gg,

I do not think it is correct to equate "jailbreaking" with the ability to install/uninstall software from a device.

One is a commonly understood and accepted mode of operation for most computing platforms. The other is a means of bypassing the commonly accepted mode of operation of a device.

Further :

Sale of Goods Act 1979, s14(2B)(a)
fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied

I would argue that jailbreaking is not a purpose for which the goods are commonly supplied.

green granite
12th Jun 2012, 08:43
One could also argue that Apple are using restrictive practices which reduces competition from apps writers and is therefore wrong.

I do appreciate why they do it though but I suggest they only get away with it because of their large customer base for whom they can do no wrong, if another company did it sales would probably be poor.

This discussion could go on for ever :)

PrettyBoy
12th Jun 2012, 16:07
Jailbreaking iphones/ipads is like expresso. If you don't know what it is, you don't want it.

Taking advice from those who never tried jailbreaking is not very useful. Many of those have fully bought the Apple mantra and has decided that it's dangerous/warranty breaking/illegal/unnecessary (take your pick). If you have used a jailbroken iphone and explored the possibilities, then a regular iphone feels very "square". Of course, if you are happy with what Apple tells you that you need then enjoy it!

ORAC
13th Jun 2012, 10:58
I used to jailbreak my iPhone a couple of years back when the choice of Apps was restricted and it was the only way to enable tethering. But the hassle whenever there was an OS update was a bind.

Nowadays I don't bother, there's no "killer app" only available outside the App Store for my uses, so I'm happy to stay with the standard OS version.

Same with unlocking, O2 will unlock mine if I ask, but that's only useful if I want to install a local SIM if I go abroad, and I'm home based now and always pick hotels with Wi-Fi for the internet and have I have Skype installed for calls; so, again, happy with the baseline.

Milo Minderbinder
14th Jun 2012, 19:33
Repairing this is going to be a bitch. Even worse than previous Macs
I know I won't be buying one

MacBook Pro with Retina Display Teardown - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1)

"MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" Mid 2012 Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
Proprietary pentalobe screws prevent you from gaining access to anything inside.
As in the MacBook Air, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Max out at 16GB now, or forever hold your peace—you can't upgrade.
The proprietary SSD isn't upgradeable either (yet), as it is similar but not identical to the one in the Air. It is a separate daughtercard, and we’re hopeful we can offer an upgrade in the near future.
The lithium-polymer battery is glued rather than screwed into the case, which increases the chances that it'll break during disassembly. The battery also covers the trackpad cable, which tremendously increases the chance that the user will shear the cable in the battery removal process.
The display assembly is completely fused, and there’s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire extremely expensive assembly."

Just remember this doesn't come from a Mac-bashing site, its an independant support site for Apple products, run and written by macheads

avturboy
14th Jun 2012, 19:56
Very negative perspective from Ifixit .... my Macbook Pro has worked well in its out of the box configuration for well over 5 years, without the need to dismantle or upgrade ... it just works. I think I'd focus on that rather than 'what ifs' of failure.

Milo Minderbinder
14th Jun 2012, 20:32
well thats what you hope for, that it will be reliable
but
batteries DO fail, and screens DO get broken or their electronics fail, and those are the two points which are going to cause the biggest issues if they do fail
Basically you are hoping that the product will live up to Apples reputation for reliability, but how much of a gamble is that? I personally think the risk is too high

mixture
15th Jun 2012, 07:26
Very negative perspective from Ifixit .... my Macbook Pro has worked well in its out of the box configuration for well over 5 years, without the need to dismantle or upgrade ... it just works. I think I'd focus on that rather than 'what ifs' of failure.

Agreed avturboy. Apple make very reliable machines.

Milo Minderbinder, you have a bit of a history of uncalled for Apple bashing round these parts, its becoming a bit tedious. What exactly is the point of your post ? :ugh:

aviate1138
15th Jun 2012, 07:59
i started with a 128K 9" Mac via various iterations of Macs/MacBooks/iMacs/Power Macs/Mac Pros etc and never had to return one [1984 - 2012] not a bad record.
I had a 22" Cinema Display which malfunctioned. Apple replaced it straight away.

What sort of odds do you want MM?

Take out AppleCare and you are covered for 3 years anyway.

Milo Minderbinder
15th Jun 2012, 08:32
Mixture
I don't have a habit of bashing Apple machines. However I do have a habit of bashing what I see as a poor product, and this particular machine from Apple, with its minimal possibilities for repair would seem to fit that bill.
However its not me making the comments - its the reviewers on an independant website who are actually normally pro-Apple. If they have something negative to say I'd tend to believe them.
And as to why did I post it? Thats quite simple - I'm just trying to point out that spending your money on this range of machines may not be the brightest purchasing decision.

Now a question for you: you have a reputation around here of being an Apple proselyte and failing to look at their projects objectively. In short, you have been taken in by the pretty pictures in the adverts, by the gloss of the marketing team, and the hype of the Jobsian persona. You have no ability of independant thought when it comes to Apple products. Whats your point?

mixture
15th Jun 2012, 09:25
you have a reputation around here of being an Apple proselyte and failing to look at their projects objectively. In short, you have been taken in by the pretty pictures in the adverts, by the gloss of the marketing team, and the hype of the Jobsian persona. You have no ability of independant thought when it comes to Apple products.

Absolute b*llocks my friend, absolute total bu** sh*t.

I have been working in the IT industry for quite a while now. I know a rubbish product when I see one and I know a good product when I see one. I am very much fiercely independent, and yes there are Apple products I don't use because they don't fit the bill for me in terms of features (largely some of their software offerings such as their video or photo manipulation software).

I have had more problems with and seen more poorly built Fujitsu, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Toshiba etc. products over the years than I care to mention. Haven't had the same issue with Apple, same goes for people I know.

Infact, I know someone who works in a very senior position at IBM who has got so fed up with endless problems with the Thinkpads they've given them over the years, and having to get them constantly repaired (primarily hardware faults), that they have just gone to the Apple Store to buy a MacBook instead and are exceedingly happy now. They now exclusively use the MacBook exclusively for work and personal use.

Ask any manufacturer who has tried to get me to sell me their product in favour of another, ask any manufacturer who's got my honest feedback after inviting me to look at their forthcoming products under NDA, ask any customer who's had the benefit of receiving my independent advice. I insist on testing their equipment myself for at least a week, and not have some snotty sales rep come give me a stage-managed demo. Nor do I spend much time reading marketing materials.

As aviate1138, avturboy and myself have pointed out. Apple products have an excellent quality and reliability record. I have been using Apple products for a long time both personally and in business, never had one fail, and believe me, I push them harder than most people will ! I've even (accidentally) dropped a MacBook onto a concrete floor, had a heavy painting fall onto it in a random event.... all still working perfectly. Infact, I'm writing this post on a 2008 vintage Mac Pro..... never had one single problem with it, also goes for a 2009 vintage MacBook Pro that I still use for various things.

Therefore moaning about repair possibilities in a new product is somewhat a moot point and you are making mountains out of molehills.

That is all. I can't be bothered to argue anymore.

P.S. No, I have not read Job's autobiography thingy, and have no plans to do so either !

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jun 2012, 09:46
I would agree that in general Apple hardware is pretty reliable, the software for non geeks pretty intuitive as well. I can see that the increasing modulisation of the products will lead to difficulties if things go wrong, much as in the auto industry where previously you might have just changed a faulty headlight bulb, now the whole unit has to come out and be replaced.

SHJ

Milo Minderbinder
15th Jun 2012, 10:25
Well Mixture, to paraphrase a certain lady, you would say that wouldn't you? And to similarly use the words of another "He doth protest too much, methinks."

Seriously, how can anyone claim that a laptop computer in which its not possible to exchange the battery yourself be can be anything other than an example of poor engineering design? And an expensive liability when the battery fails

PS - just checked. Batteries are excluded from Applecare

Ancient Observer
15th Jun 2012, 10:34
I do not want to get in to an argument between 2 of our best helpers on here. Both Milo and Mixture do us great service.

However, whilst Apple might produce reliable products, the ones that hit the Ancient household are not reliable. On my left, a 3 year old ipod touch. Dead. Went to the Apple shop in Brent Cross (a long way away, but nearest to me) and they had no interest in helping. Didn't want to either see it or touch it. "So what do I do?" I asked. "Buy a new one" said the moron pretending to be a shop assistant.
That was after spending far too much time on apple and other websites trying to fix the bloody thing.
You won't want to hear the story of the other daughter's ipod. It is also dead. Also unwanted by Apple store.

So, not universally good.

On the bigger picture, I am allowed an opinion. I have two main complaints. I resent the fact that the prices are too high, for what is a well designed but cheaply made product off the same production line in Foxconn, China as all the other electronic vendors.
Given the extremely high prices, Apple make it worse by refusing to pay UK taxes. (None of the new terchie big cos pay UK taxes. Not Apple, not Google, not Vodafone, not Facerot). I resnt paying my taxes, while they do not.
I also resent the basic stuff - I can't even change the battery.

This is not Apple bashing, mixture, it is just me having a point of view. As you are a pro I expect you to have a point of view, too.

mixture
15th Jun 2012, 11:12
Ancient Observer (and Milo Minderbinder),

Guess this debate could run and run.

Unfortunatley I've got more important things to do, having just taken advantage of the BA summer sale, so now need to get on with booking my accommodation. So I'm going to decline from further comment here. :E

cameltruck
15th Jun 2012, 11:18
MM and M chilax, I bet both of you have no idea how extremely beneficial the great advice you have both dispensed here has been - which has also been free.

Re hardware, every manufacture produces a lemon, sometimes by design, sometimes by batch number, sometimes even by greed by deliberately releasing a low quality product containing a huge profit margin after playing the market with a string of successful products.

To borrow a saying from the car industry: "The best car on the road is one built on a Wednesday."

Cheers.

mixture
15th Jun 2012, 12:31
cameltruck,

No worries, normal service will resume shortly, and I've no long-term hard feelings against MM, just occasionally wish he'd take another look at the way he views Apple.

I know Apple are not perfect. But when taken in the context of the IT industry as a whole, I think even the most hardened Apple begrudger would have to admit they're better than 99% of others and on the same level as the remaining 1%.

Ancient Observer
15th Jun 2012, 14:30
On that point - with a minor disagreement about the numbers - we can agree. You might add that Apple products are normally quite pretty.
I'm glad that the born-again liars such as CSC do not make domestic kit.
Imagine a CSC ipad..... it would weigh 3 times as much, cost 50% more, and the software would never work. I guess that's why the Brit civil service keep on buying CSC's lies....????

Milo Minderbinder
15th Jun 2012, 16:44
Ancient

The Apple salesmuppet SHOULD have pointed this price list out to you
Apple - Support - iPod - Repair pricing (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/)
Scroll down for UK prices

However there are a number of third party companies around the UK who can repair them cheaper - though I have to say now that I've never used any of them.
It seems that somehow these guys can get spare circuit boards etc out of China through the back door - presumably either from Foxconn, or from Foxconns suppliers. Often the parts turn up on AliBaba - though you'd have to buy a lot of parts!

mcdhu
1st Jul 2012, 17:42
Anyone else having trouble with an intermittent Caps Lock light on the Apple Magic Keyboard with iMac

I've tried all the usual tricks - battery change, off/on disconnect/reconnect etc.

Google reveals that this is a fairly common problem.

Any further ideas please?

Mcdhu

ORAC
2nd Jul 2012, 07:23
Anyone aware of any OSX/iPad/iPhone mailbot/malware around?

I've had spam mail going out of my hotmail account to people on my mailing list for the last 24-48 hours. not sure if it's from my iPhone, iPad or Macbook and how to clear it without buying an antivirus for all 3.

le Pingouin
2nd Jul 2012, 09:45
More likely your Hotmail account has been compromised and the culprit is just logging in. Reset your password:

Hacked account - Hacked account (http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/hotmail/hacked-account-faq)

Have a Google for "compromised hotmail" (without the quotes) for more info.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jul 2012, 10:42
I know Macs have a relatively low infection rate, but it could well be worth installing a free AV program such as this from Avast avast! Free Antivirus for Mac | Security Software for Apple OS X (http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-mac)
It'll only work with the newer OSX versions though - older versions may have to make do with Avira or Sophos

I'm not sure what the best AV solution for your iOS devices is - most of the "free" AV solutions for Android phones are pretty much useless (with the notable exceptions of Avast and AVG) and I don't believe the situation for iOS is any better - in fact I don't think either Avast or AVG have a suitable AV program for iOS.
Of course many will claim you don't need protection on an iPhone or Ipad - but that sounds a bit like a "titanic doesn't need lifeboats" theory to me.
Closest thing I can find are a couple of supposed secure browsers such as this from AVG to prevent against hijacks
AVG Free | AVG Family Safety | More than just Parental Control (http://free.avg.com/gb-en/avg-family-safety-mobile)

Wait and see if Mixture has a view

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Jul 2012, 14:10
Interestingly in the last 2 weeks I've been prompted many times for additional 'security information' in the form of alternative e-mail address/tel number etc each time I log in to hotmail. You've got me wondering if it's a hack or if they want more,more,more on the information front and if so, why all of a sudden :confused:

SHJ

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jul 2012, 18:12
thats standard, and legit - M$ are tightening up on their security recovery practices, thats why they want the extra info. There was a thread about it 2-3 days ago

Mac the Knife
2nd Jul 2012, 21:18
Italy threatens Apple with a higher fine for pitiful warranty period - The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2188507/italy-threatens-apple-fines-pitiful-warranty-period)

cough...

Mac (running OSX,Win7,WinXP,OpenSolaris,BSD, and Linux)

[No hardware problems with my old black Macbook or 2nd gen. Mac Mini but at least I can open 'em & fix 'em. No hardware problems with my old Acer Travelmate either, come to think about it.]

PS: Those iPod repair prices are pretty eyewatering, which is why I replaced the battery in my iPod Classic myself!

Fokkerwokker
19th Jul 2012, 14:15
Dear Gurus

Have been searching for a suitable app to track my freelance expenses/mileage/hotac costs etc. Keeping good records is not one of my strong points.

Someone was trying to tell me that there is a version that will email the info direct to your accountant on a regular basis.

Is someone blowing smoke up my jetpipe?

The Real Pink Baron
20th Jul 2012, 01:48
Why does my IPad not remember me? I have to log on every time to Pprune, am OK on other sites.
Please reply slowly as I don't read too fast! Thanks.

Load Toad
20th Jul 2012, 02:13
Have you tried caressing it?

I wrote slowly.

N1 Limit
22nd Jul 2012, 15:41
Hi there
I'd like to know if any of you know about a specific program that can allow me to use the 737 CBT any other program like the PMDG 737NG flight sim on my Macbook?any help is welcome

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Jul 2012, 16:24
these maybe

Apple - Support - Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/)

Run Windows on Mac - Windows and Mac side-by-side with Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac (http://www.parallels.com/uk/landingpage/dskd77-2/?source=g_uk&gclid=CICfnJTYrbECFccLfAod5yoAJw)

Suggest you check their support forums first though

mixture
23rd Jul 2012, 07:06
Further to Milo's post, VMWare Fusion might also be worth looking at.

aviate1138
24th Jul 2012, 10:26
Anyone going to try Mountain Lion tomorrow or prudently wait until the bugs surface and are ironed out. Frankly at the price on offer I will give it a go and trust that Apple have eliminated most of the junk.

mixture
24th Jul 2012, 11:10
aviate1138,

On the assumption you've got a good backup (you should be doing regular backups anyway, irrespective of computing platform !) then I would say go for it. If you're worried, run it in a VMware instance for a few days.

The last few OS releases from Apple have demonstrated great improvements from release to release (I class "improvements" as performance and important functionality, mostly under-the-hood stuff rather than any secondary bells and whistles in the GUI). The present 10.7 is my favourite release to date.

Although I had official access to the 10.8 release well ahead of time, I hardly used it apart from in a Vmware instance for a few hours to provide feedback to a section of the Apple development team with feedback to confirm whether a couple of minor bugs and enhancement-requests I'd reported for 10.7 had been squashed and/or introduced in time for the base 10.8 release. Plus it wouldn't be right to build opinions based upon pre-release software which by nature is expected to be buggy in places.

Milo Minderbinder
25th Jul 2012, 14:28
Mixture

re the various VMs / emulators for Windows on Mac. Have you any personal preference? Any major advantage of one over the other? Its something I know little about

mixture
25th Jul 2012, 16:12
Hi Milo,

Well, Bootcamp is not really an emulator, its just drivers for native running on the hardware. Never used that solution myself, but can't imagine anything being wrong with it.... infact, if performance is top of the agenda, that will probably remain your first choice.

I used Parallels for a while, but found it had various limitations and its emulation was a bit basic in terms of what it emulated. But that was v5, maybe a little v6..... so things may have changed in v7.

Some reasons I settled on VMware (don't know to what extent Parallels have been playing catch-up) :
- At the time I switched from Parallels, I quite liked the stability of Fusion
- It also was the only product to support high screen resolutions
- Fusion had better networking, theirs is a low-level implementation
- I found Fusion had a better virtual drive performance
- The Mac version of VMware Fusion was also natively built on Apple software libraries, rather than Parallels reliance on some third party libraries.
- Support for a broader array of guest operating systems
- VMWare obviously have a bit of a pedigree in the virtualisation world, although its probably unrealistic to expect much cross-pollination from esxi to Fusion.

mutt
26th Jul 2012, 08:47
At 15.99 euros, its hard to pass up, but i will wait until my travels are finished before experimenting....

Mutt

ChipperJones
26th Jul 2012, 22:48
Didnt think starting a new thread would be cool, so i'll ask here. Im looking for earbud recommendations. Im currently getting more and more disappointed with the apple earbuds (http://www.wirelessground.com/applemb770ga.html) that came with my phone. My budget is pretty open but nothing to ridiculous. Any ideas? What do you use?

Firestorm
26th Jul 2012, 22:57
I've just finished downloading Mountain Lion. On first inspection everything seems to work well. It has taken about 4 1/2 hours to download and install, but I do have a fairly slow broadband here in rural Warwickshire. The process itself was very easy. Macworld.com has some good articles about how to prepare your machine for the big event which I found easy to follow: I don't think of myself as being very computer able, although I can generally use them well enough. This is my first MacBook Pro, and my first Apple upgrade process: I am very impressed.

crewmeal
27th Jul 2012, 06:25
Firestorm this may be one reason it took so long.

Broadband operators saw huge spike in traffic after Mountain Lion launch - Mac software - Macworld UK (http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/?newsid=3372303&olo=email)

Living up the road from you in Brum it took me a couple of hours to complete the process. However I'm still trying to work out what the new software does. I haven't noticed any difference in the operation apart from upgrades going through the apps.

Firestorm
27th Jul 2012, 10:45
I'm not surprised by that crewmeal, and I knew that was a likely situation. Added to which I live at the far end of the exchange so I get a pretty poor download rate. Anyway, it's done now.

All in all it works well, and I haven't found any problems. I quite liked 'Notes' being integrated with mail. I like messages (I had the beta version for a month or so just for fun), and I'm not convinced that I will use 'reminders' as I set reminders in ical. The new Safari layout looks good, and works well. The real benefits might be more apparent when IOS 6 comes out for iPods and iPads later in the year.

Daria
10th Aug 2012, 17:45
I'm with you in not particularly liking the Apple ear buds. You might want to check out Newegg: Newegg.com - Accessories, in ear buds (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100017680&isNodeId=1&Description=in+ear+buds&x=0&y=0)

Scroll down a bit to get to the higher quality brands. I had a Sennheiser set which lasted well. I'd gotten them for about $19 on sale from about $40. But that sale seems to be gone.

I've also bought through dealmac.com (http://dealmac.com/) and have found good buys there.

Sunnyjohn
11th Aug 2012, 17:47
Having read the reviews it seems to me that the main purpose of Mountain Lion is to provide support for Mac mobile devices. Since I haven't got any, is there any other reason to upgrade?

mixture
11th Aug 2012, 23:21
Sunnyjohn,

Apple give you 200 reasons on their website here (http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html).

Fundamentally, yes, the major headline changes are the social media and sharing stuff.

However behind the scenes, there have been new APIs introduced and improvements to existing APIs. It will of course take a little time for all the third-party software developers to adopt these.

I would say, if you are on 10.7.4 now (i.e. 10.7 with all the current updates), then no need to rush, upgrade when you're ready, but don't wait forever (I'm saying months, a year max.... i.e time for a few 10.8 dot releases to happen).

Apple haven't completely stopped development on the 10.7 branch, just are not introducing new features, just tweaking and fixing existing , there's a 10.7.5 update in the pipeline focusing on graphics performance and quality (can't tell you more than that... since its under Developer NDA).

If you are not on 10.7 now, then you might as well go all the way up to 10.8.

crewmeal
12th Aug 2012, 10:50
Having spent a fortune on one of Samsung's new smart TVs, I'm having trouble trying to stream videos/movies from my Macbook pro. I've tried Air Parrot which is supposed to mirror image your screen. It doesn't. It's so slow and jerky that it's impossible to watch a movie. I've tried TVMOBiLi which is similar along with Serviio which won't even open. As I have some mkv movies which produce proper 1080 HD quality I would love to find a DLNA source that will stream these files without problems.

My wifi runs at 7mbps on o2 broadband which isn't too bad. The only reliable way to do it is via itunes and apple tv, but they don't run mkv files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

DrRedHead
12th Aug 2012, 12:25
You can install the ATVFlash software at Firecore.com - easy to install, works great, allows you to watch MKV, AVi, MP4, etc through your apple TV. it's $29.95 and currently for the Apple TV 2nd Gen (3rd gen in the works).

The other option is to Jailbreak your Apple TV (only available for 1st and 2nd Gen at the moment - 3rd in the pipeline) and install XBMC.

Hope this helps

Sunnyjohn
12th Aug 2012, 17:05
Thanks, Mixture, nice helpful reply. I'll wait a bit and then look at the 200 reasons!

crewmeal
13th Aug 2012, 05:38
Thanks DrRedHead. To use ATVFlash you need to jailbreak the box. I guess I'll give that a try first.

G-AZUK
30th Aug 2012, 10:56
Sorry if this is an oft repeated question in here, I havent had much joy on apples help section, or in store with a definitive answer that filled me with positivity.

current set up: Iphone synced to creaky laptop, three kids ipods synced to my work laptop all with separate itunes accounts, keeps the kids stuff separate, but annoying when they all want to buy the same app, and you end up paying three times, and also if all of us want the same CD having to upload it four times.

just treated myself to a MAC to replace creaky laptop. I now as a minimum, want to copy my itunes for my phone from the laptop to the Mac, my research so far seems to suggest this is relatively easy via a hard drive. the more taxing question which i cant get an answer to, is do I copy over the three kids accounts and keep them separate, or is this the perfect opportunity to consolidate all our accounts, music and apps etc and have them live in one place, does this become a major issue when different people run different devices. if for example I buy a game on a universal itunes account, can you play it at the same time on two devices, so many questions, advice and help appreciated on here :ok:

ORAC
30th Aug 2012, 12:59
Do these help from?

Sharing iTunes & iCloud Accounts in a Family (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/sharing-itunes-icloud-accounts-in-a-family/)

Consolidating apps to a single iTunes Store account (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/consolidating-apps-to-a-single-itunes-store-account/)

Using Multiple iTunes Libraries on One Computer
(http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesuse/ss/Multiple-Itunes-Libraries-One-Computer.htm)

ORAC
13th Sep 2012, 09:47
No 4G for the iPhone 5 in UK except for T-Mobile and Orange; and that includes after the auctions next year and for the freseeable future.....

The iPhone 5′s limited UK 4G LTE support set to freeze out Vodafone and O2 (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/12/apples-iphone-5-will-contain-limited-uk-4g-lte-support-freezing-vodafone-o2/)

MacBoero
13th Sep 2012, 13:06
That won't stop the iPhone 5 selling like proverbial hotcakes though. Besides the same problem exists for all LTE equipped phones.

mixture
13th Sep 2012, 15:57
The iPhone 5 will still work on the 3G networks as far as I know, and to be honest, for 95% of what you use the iPhone for, 3G will be just fine.

SpringHeeledJack
13th Sep 2012, 17:27
One has Little Snitch running in the background and of late it has flagged loads of connection attempts from the good people at Apple in the form of 3-courier.push.apple.com, whereas before never... They are of course a myriad of other numbers before the 'courier' part and they seem to want Port 5223 mostly. As far as I can ascertain they might be software related, but am curious to know what ? Any clever clogs care to enlighten me ?

SHJ

AppleMacster
13th Sep 2012, 18:22
It's to do with push notifications. Have you recently started to use them? FaceTime, too. There's a list of commonly-used ports by Apple here. (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629)

SpringHeeledJack
13th Sep 2012, 18:36
Thanks for that link Mr Macster :ok: Apart from FaceTime, which I added a month ago, but rarely use and is almost never on I'm a simple soul and don't have any of the others. Might it have been added unknowingly in an update or security patch recently ?

Just had a think and the FaceTime was added in May, so that wouldn't account for the many push notices in the last month.

SHJ

bnt
17th Sep 2012, 21:37
Yesterday I helped my landlady upgrade her Macbook Pro from OS X 10.4 (Tiger) to 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Yes, I know, but that's the latest her hardware can support ... and kudos to Apple for making the process mostly painless. Install from DVD (£14 from Apple UK) to 10.6.3, then another GB download for 10.6.8. Most of the process required no intervention from me.

The only hiccup was in upgrading Microsoft Office 2008, which (for some unknown reason) was sitting at the root (/) and not under Applications. Finder wouldn't let me move it, just copy it, so I ended up using a UNIX "sudo mv" command in Terminal just to get it done quickly. After that, no problems applying the latest updates, and it's all working fine.

I could live with a Mac ... but I'd spend so much time in the Terminal that I may as well stick to Linux ... :8

R04stb33f
18th Sep 2012, 21:49
Hey folks,

I just searched for this and nowt came up, so here goes:

I just tried to install Google Chrome on my iPad and it came up with the old 'increase your level of security and select 3 questions and their answers' thing. Previousy, I have completely ignored it because I have a password that no-one is likely to figure out and I'm never going to forget it.

This time, though, it wouldn't let me install the app And it is insisting that I do this questions thing. So I thought OK, the usuall rubbish - mother's maiden name etc. But no. They want really personal stuff, like my first film in the cinema, my dog's name, best friend at primary school.... What the hell??

Is it normal for them to ask for such personal information?? Sounds more like a phishing scam - or at least, if THEIR security gets compromised, phishing scams could be directed to me more easily (and the rest of the population).

I have to say, I haven't completed the procedure, and won't - at least until I learn more about it.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Cheers

Roastie

Milo Minderbinder
18th Sep 2012, 23:29
rather sounds to me like you are confusing simply installing the browser, with actually creating / logging into a Google online account.

Of course Google are going to ask such questions: with their desire to know as much profiling information about you as they can obtain, their questions can only become more and more intrusive.

My advice? Ditch Chrome. The only reason it exists is to give Google a better data collection platform.

R04stb33f
19th Sep 2012, 08:22
Thanks for your reply, but you have completely misunderstood.

It is the appstore that is asking for this, not chrome - i can't even install that..

I understand about Google wanting more profiling information.
Now I'm saying that Apple want it too.

I googled the subject and found the following...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3927265?start=0&tstart=0

Cheers

Roastie

MacBoero
19th Sep 2012, 12:24
This history behind this goes back a few months I think. I can't recall that exact details, but someone somewhere managed to get a hold of a number of Apple ID account details, through some rather nasty code that managed to get through the Apple App Store censors. Apple decided to implement some further security measures, akin to those for online banking, whereby in addition to account ID and password (like Account number and PIN), you provide some answers to a series of questions that only you are likely to know all the answers to. So in the event your Apple account is compromised, it will be easier for you as the real account holder to get control back. Bearing in mind that the Apple ID account usually has access to your credit card details, and therefore carries a similar financial risk to handing someone your bank card and PIN details.

mixture
20th Sep 2012, 06:46
R04stb33f

This time, though, it wouldn't let me install the app And it is insisting that I do this questions thing. So I thought OK, the usuall rubbish - mother's maiden name etc. But no. They want really personal stuff, like my first film in the cinema, my dog's name, best friend at primary school.... What the hell??

(a) You do realise you do not have to give the true answers to these questions, do you not ? As long as you recall the correct answers, that is all that matters. Because it is highly likely that as a private individual, your sole interaction with Apple will be electronic, all you need to do is to be able to feed the machine the right answers in order to get the output you want.

(b) It is NOT profiling. MacBoero has the answer. A while back, there were regrettably a whole series of fraudulent transactions undertaken by unscrupulous individuals on the Apple iTunes store service. Apple swiftly took action to put in place mechanisms to prevent future occurrences.

mutt
21st Sep 2012, 16:30
Any comments on IOs6?

Mutt

crewmeal
21st Sep 2012, 17:59
ITV & BBC both reporting glitches with the maps eg Luton in South Devon, Stratford Upon Avon as a hospital. No shops in the Bull Ring Birmingham.

BBC News - Apple promises maps app will 'improve' (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19672981)

Not sure about the rest of the world!

The Many Tentacles
21st Sep 2012, 20:08
I've noticed an increase in speed on my new iPad and iPhone 4. Plus I like being able to use Siri to send pointless iMessages to my wife in the other room.

Haven't really tested out the new features too much yet, but I'm sure I will at some point

R04stb33f
21st Sep 2012, 22:07
Indeed, Mixture.

That is what I have now done.

Just whinging cos it's a bit of a PITA.

Thanks for your reply :)

Load Toad
22nd Sep 2012, 07:47
iOS6.****e.

Gosh - misfire or what?

Best they get 6.1 out rapid.

Maps - awful; Passbook - useless. Feels very slow and clunky, like the phone is wading through molasses to get itself to work. At least it doesn't stink of stale wee.

Old Akro
23rd Sep 2012, 04:50
Apple maps in iO6 is seriously bad. In Australia it has some towns over 100km out of position. It wanted to locate my house in a different country and I just tried to get directions to my local airfield and it shows a route about twice as long as it should be. Seems it doesn't know about some major roads.

If you use Google maps at all DO NOT UPGRADE. I did the iPhone, but there is no way I'm upgrading the iPad.

Background Noise
23rd Sep 2012, 08:03
You can get a version of a google maps app by putting a link on your home screen.

Open google maps in safari and tap the share icon http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/stickshaker/share_zps7b70ad8f.jpg then add to home screen.

Load Toad
23rd Sep 2012, 08:55
I've done that but it isn't as fast or smooth as when it was as built in app - I have no idea why being an IT dimwit.

I'm slowly tweaking 6 by switching stuff off that I don't need &c but honestly - putting out software that is not ready for release is very very shabby especially as it is Apple that has done it.

Exascot
24th Sep 2012, 08:56
I think that a valve has blown in my old mobile phone. I am a complete luddite with these things. I am under pressure to buy an iPhone.

With the old phone I have chips for Greece and Botswana. I then load it prepaid from a card. Can I do this with an iPhone or will I need some sort of contract with a provider? Will this work in both Greece and Bots or will I have to pay for roaming?

mixture
24th Sep 2012, 09:12
These days, the iPhones can be purchased in a legally unlocked form. Therefore you can avoid the need for operator tie-in if you are willing to pay the upfront cost of the phone (rather than being tied to an operator and benefiting from amortised phone cost).

So all you then need to worry about is getting hold of a nano-sim from the Greek and Bulgarian operators. Hopefully they should be happy to oblige once they get some into stock.

I would caution agains the DIY approach advocated by some of chopping up your bigger SIM card to fit. Much better (and safer) to get hold of a correctly sized SIM in the first place.

sitigeltfel
24th Sep 2012, 16:54
My wife has a shiny new ipad 3 and we have come across a problem with the App store.

It seems that the language that is displayed is linked to the country that the users credit card is registered, in our case France. Although we are fairly conversant in French, we would prefer to have this displayed in English. I have trawled a number of sites for help but none are any use.

Any clues?

AppleMacster
24th Sep 2012, 17:05
Sitigeltfel,

You should be able to do it by modifying your AppleID preferences here:

https://appleid.apple.com

sitigeltfel
26th Sep 2012, 06:46
Sitigeltfel,

You should be able to do it by modifying your AppleID preferences here:

https://appleid.apple.com

Hmmm...tried that, but when I log on to the App store it still goes to the French version. A number of Apple forums say that it always defaults to the language of the country your account credit card is registered, in my case France.
I no longer have accounts in English speaking countries, so I may be stuck with it..........unless anyone else knows a way round it?

mixture
26th Sep 2012, 07:17
sitigeltfel,

I suspect its not Apple that's applying these restrictions, but it may rather be a byproduct of their content licensing deals with their suppliers that they have to make a reasonable attempt at establishing the correct jurisdiction of a purchaser.

Haven't tried this, but have you considered dissociating your credit card from your iTunes account and then subsequently trying to change the country of your account ?

Assuming this works, you will need to work around the payment issue by buying gift vouchers on your french card and applying these against your transaction (try with a nominal value first before undertaking any large orders !).

Sunnyjohn
26th Sep 2012, 20:47
This is a long shot but there's a lot of expertise here so you never know . . .
I have a G4 angle-poise that has finally died. However, it seems that it is most likely that the problem is with the back-up battery, I learned on a weblog, which I didn't even know existed. Several people reported, like me, that they found that they needed to keep their machine on standby permanently, otherwise is took days to reboot. It does look as though the standby battery had died (no surprise after seven plus years). The machine was working perfectly in all other respects and I was leaving it permanently on standby, but we had a three hour power cut and it wouldn't start up after that. Anybody come across this and know where I could get a new battery?

Thanks in advance.

Milo Minderbinder
26th Sep 2012, 21:00
from Google
3.6V (half AA type) Lithium PRAM/Clock Battery for Mac - Upgrade Your Mac (http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=314)

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saft-LS14250-Lithium-Battery-Computer/dp/B000GED9NA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1348693426&sr=8-11

I don't know them

this may help How Do I Check a Mac G4 Backup Battery? | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_6890415_do-mac-g4-backup-battery_.html)

ExXB
28th Sep 2012, 09:55
My wife has a shiny new ipad 3 and we have come across a problem with the App store.

It seems that the language that is displayed is linked to the country that the users credit card is registered, in our case France. Although we are fairly conversant in French, we would prefer to have this displayed in English. I have trawled a number of sites for help but none are any use.

Any clues?

It's even worse here in Switzerland where apple thinks there are three national languages (there are four). You can get the store in French, but things like movies are mostly in German (and rarely in multiple languages, unlike DVDs).

However - you can always browse the US or UK store to see what the product is and once decided go to the French store to do the purchase.

Or, you can open a second Apple ID and a second iTunes account. If you have a credit card in another jurisdiction you can use that to validate your 'country'. If you don't you can open an iTunes account with an Apple Gift card. i.e. if you have a UK£ gift card you can open an iTunes account and use the UK Apple Store. Same with US$. Downside to this is you need to pay in advance, and keep topping it up with cards. Gift cards are available on ebay (you only need the number printed on it, not the card itself)

Sunnyjohn
29th Sep 2012, 18:53
Milo Mindbender - thanks for your help and expertise. Looks like the real problem might be the PSU and unfortunately I am not now in a position to do much about it (living in Spain with poor Spanish). It's bye bye to my Mac Anglepoise. Sad day!

Groundbased
30th Sep 2012, 10:34
edited to say I've resolved this now. I had to set up the user name and password on the outgoing server as well as the incoming one. Only took 3.5 hrs to work that out!!

Hi all,

I've just moved onto an i-phone 4s. I run two email accounts, one googlemail for personal stuff and one via my business domain which is hosted at fasthosts.

Set up the gmail no problems ( because it uses exchange and activesync)

I have tried everything to get the fasthosts account working via imap (it is an advanced mailbox, not exchange, but absolutely should work with IMAP, I've had it on blackberry for years). I have got to the stage where I can receive mail but I can't send it.

The settings I'm using are:

Incoming

mail.livemail.co.uk
port 143
authentication user name and password

Outgoing

smtp.livemail.co.uk
port 25 although I've also tried 225 and 587
no authentication

No ssl in both cases.

The outgoing server verifies instantly on either port 25 or 587 but when I send messages they get dumped in the outbox with an error saying the server rejected the recipient

I'm just upgrading to IOS 6.

Any help would be appreciated, it shouldn't be this hard to get an IMAP mailbx set uop

Thanks, all.

Edited to say I've sone a search of this thread but couldn't find anything related.

Saab Dastard
30th Sep 2012, 11:04
I've got a fasthosts domain for business email - outgoing mail does require authentication - same as incoming.

SD

mixture
30th Sep 2012, 16:31
Milo,

It'll be one of those G4 iMac Flatpanels with the domed CPU base.

mixture
30th Sep 2012, 21:10
Well, it's a bit of a vintage piece of kit (dates from Apple's pre-Intel days).

The reason for the price is evident if you look at the CPU, its a non-standard PSU, it had to be to fit into that shape.

I suspect eBay might be a good source.

To be honest though, there's not much point to hang onto pre-Intel Macs these days.... and the current versions of OS X are light years ahead of what the first non-Intel releases were.

The original poster might be better off investing in a newer Intel based mac, even if it's a second hand one.

Sunnyjohn
30th Sep 2012, 22:26
The original poster has done just that! I found a local repair facility who was able to replace the PSU but it still don't work! Might be the motherboard. Anyway, so far it's cost me about £85 and much as I love it I'm not prepared to spend more on the basis that it might work. If I were in the UK with my old workshop and lots of UK contacts I'd have a go myself. But I'm in Spain in a fifth floor flat with poor Spanish - so I've just purchased an iMac 21.5 2.7 Ghz. Hopefully it'll last me another ten years!

Thanks Milo and Mixture for your help.

A and C
1st Oct 2012, 08:37
When using newsstand apps for both The telegraph & MCN sport I can't get rid of a notification that says " connect to iTunes to use push notifications".

Each time I hit the "ok" the caption disappears and returns immediately.

Any ideas on how to rid my iPad of this problem message?

mixture
1st Oct 2012, 11:39
Sunnyjohn,

Enjoy !

handsfree
3rd Oct 2012, 13:18
I've just been playing around with the Premier Inn App on my iPhone and have discovered that it has googlemaps embedded in it; complete with a usable streetscene.
Just plonk in the location of your choice in the booking form, pick a hotel from the list it throws up then select 'show hotel on map' option.
You now have gold old googlemaps on your display.

A simple way to get round awful Apple maps if you're on IOS 6.0

ORAC
3rd Oct 2012, 13:46
Beware scuffs and chips (http://scuffgate.net/) on the iPhone 5. :suspect:

I swopped mine for a new one last Saturday as it was badly scuufed out of the box. New one looked OK in the shop and it went stright into a protective case.

5 days later the top is discoloured and the top front and leading edges are badly chipped, worse than the first. Not sure whether to request another swop for a white phone.

Only superficial, but it will severely affect resale value in future. :(:(

mixture
3rd Oct 2012, 15:45
but it will severely affect resale value in future.

Are you serious ? :rolleyes:

You do not buy commodity, mass-produced pieces of technology with the resale value in mind. They depreciate like nothing else, the rate of depreciation rising even more rapidly with each new product release or EOL announcement.

Seriously, there's lots of business kit out there priced at many tens of thousands, but will be worthless 3-5 years down the line.

Exceptions to the rule are very rare, the only one I've found so far are high-end DSLRs hold their value relatively well... I got £800 for a Nikon D700 I sold off recently. But of course the Nikon lenses hold their value much, much better than the readily disposable bodies. The other exception I know of is rare early Apple machines,some of the original ones, if they are in working order of course.

(N.B. The D700 was sold prior to the public announcement of the D600, and so the D700 was still attractive for those who couldn't justify a D800 (which was never intended as a D700 replacement anyway, the D600 is, but I digress !) I suspect the D700 would not fetch as much now.)

ORAC
4th Oct 2012, 07:37
Are you serious ? :rolleyes: You'd be surprised how well Macs laptops and iPhones hold their value. I just sold my Rev 1 (4 years old) MacBook Air for £400 and 3 year old MacBook Pro 17" for £800.

My iPhone 4 64Gb is on sale and should fetch £300+, but it is in pristine condition in it's original box with all the bits.

Exascot
4th Oct 2012, 08:18
OK so if I buy one of these new-fangled things I understand that my old sim card (pay as you go) will not fit. I further understand that I should be able to get a nano one from my service provider (Wind - Greece, Orange Botswana). Will I be able to keep the same phone numbers?

Many thanks.

Luddite.

ORAC
4th Oct 2012, 09:02
If it's just a new SIM for the same account it should be the same out of the box. If you transfer to a new provider you can transfer the number, just get a PAC/MAC code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting_Authorisation_Code), or whatever the Greek/Botswanan equivalent is, from your current provider.

I transferred from O2 to T-Mobile for the 4G network rollout and took my number with me. Normally takes 24 hours but, due to the numbers doing the same, it took 48 hours.

Exascot
5th Oct 2012, 08:26
ORAC, many thanks for that. Now I'm being advised to buy a Samsun Galaxy S3 not an iPhone. :confused: Anyone any thoughts on this advice.

crewmeal
6th Oct 2012, 05:23
If you want HD quality video and to play movies then look at the Galaxy note. Google maps show up well on the 5.3'' screen as does everything else. The trouble is when you have one of those 'giants' anything else seems really small!

compressor stall
6th Oct 2012, 08:18
I couldn't be ar$ed waiting on hold to Telstra (oz) to swap my number to the nano sim, so I just trimmed my old sim down to fit. Took two minutes with my wife's sharp hairdressing scissors (don't tell her).

Works perfectly!

(I was already with Telstra and bought the phone outright, unlocked, from Apple)

RodfjH
8th Oct 2012, 10:27
Try going to settings - Newstand and check that automatic downloads is selected on for the items you are interested in.

aviate1138
9th Oct 2012, 07:09
Anyone know when the 2012 iMac is due out?

SpringHeeledJack
9th Oct 2012, 07:30
The 20th of December, that is one day before the end of the world according to the Mayans ;) Apple are pushing it somewhat if they still want to get it out this year. Maybe they'll hang on and bring it out early in the new year ?

SHJ

aviate1138
10th Oct 2012, 07:21
Ah! The old 2013 iMac trick!

SHJ said

"The 20th of December, that is one day before the end of the world according to the Mayans"

Just because some old Mayan priest said "Fcuk this, I'm not carving any more predictions, it's time to stop!" Throws down his chisel and the stone says Dec 21st 2012 and millions of present day stupids think that means an end to the world and and all it was was the end of the stonemason's elbow that the Priest had been getting for carving some future unverifiable stone chipped decades. :rolleyes:

Totally_Bananas
21st Oct 2012, 15:17
Hi,

I'm looking for a Calendar that I can use on my macbook/ipad and sync with my wife's. We would like to both make changes to it and for the changes to show up in each others calendar via auto sync. I'm looking to see if Ical does it- but it seems via icloud it can only be done via one account?

Any tips?

Thanks.

Background Noise
21st Oct 2012, 15:36
That should be possible with iCal, see here:

iCloud: Share a calendar with others (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2690)

Totally_Bananas
21st Oct 2012, 18:13
Thanks, ICAL running a treat now!

Cheers!

herman the crab
22nd Oct 2012, 06:03
Is it fixed sufficiently to be worth downloading to my 3GS iphone?

HTC

mixture
22nd Oct 2012, 07:16
I've been using it on my iPhone 5 for a while and don't have an issue with it.

Admittedly I don't use the built-in Maps app much which seems to have been most people's bone of contention. I suspect Apple are working on a fix for that, but fixes will be released gradually but ASAP. I've got a copy of London AZ and various other city maps whose format I prefer anyway.

MacBoero
22nd Oct 2012, 09:50
A couple of people I know with iPhone 3GS who have updated to iOS 6 and it appears to work. The thing they missed most was the old Maps app, but I don't recall them having much else to say about it. It doesn't get all of the bells and whistles, but I believe most of the useful stuff is there like, iCloud syncing of shared calendars and todo lists.

aviate1138
23rd Oct 2012, 19:18
I see Apple have revamped the iMac and in doing so have denied me the pleasure of buying and installing Crucial RAM and OWC SSD drives as it is now Apple items or nothing.

My mistake - the 27" iMacs can have non Apple RAM....so much cheaper.....

Some iPad 3 [only 6 months old] owners are going to be pissed off - the iPad 4 is now available!

crewmeal
24th Oct 2012, 06:05
I've just done a clean install of ML and put most folders back. However when it came to iphoto all the folders in it had disappeared. Instead all the photos were installed as one folder and in certain cases in triplicate. My question is do I have to go through over 1000 photos to delete the triplicates and make up new folders, or am I doing something wrong?

Is there a better solution to iphoto?

NRU74
24th Oct 2012, 18:09
Could I ask someone to give me a bit of ipad help on how to send e mails using wifi in France please? [Yes I have spent a lot of time on google and still can't sort it]
For c 20 months I've used my ipad using wifi to send e mails from bars, hot spots etc.Although I couldn't get TalkTalk to work I could use gmail OK.
I've now signed up to SFR's 'wifi illimite' 7 euros a month contract as I have a very strong SFR WiFi Public signal in our appartment.But now the gmail doesn't work [for outgoing emails] either.
I know it's to do with the smtp server and blocked ports but, try as I might, I just can't get the configuration right.So, if I want to send an email ,I've got to go out to the internet cafe etc.
Anyone able to give me a [really] Noddy guide on what to do ?
I'm in the UK and going to France in Nov

bnt
24th Oct 2012, 18:57
As a general rule*, you need to use the SMTP (outgoing mail) server of the internet provider you're actually connected to at the time - not the one who provides the mail. They tend to check your IP address, so if you try to send via e.g. O2 UK when you're on Orange in France, it won't work. Try smtp.<provider>.fr e.g. smtp.wanadoo.fr , smtp.orange.fr etc.

* yes, there will be exceptions

mixture
25th Oct 2012, 17:36
Anyone able to give me a [really] Noddy guide on what to do ?

Use a service such as smtp.com for roaming smtp sending.

herman the crab
26th Oct 2012, 03:40
I use the maps quite a lot so maybe I'll wait then.

HTC

NRU74
27th Oct 2012, 17:06
bnt/Milo/mixture
Thanks
I'm going to France end of Nov-will report back [or, if successful, whilst I'm there]

Sunnyjohn
27th Oct 2012, 17:13
iPhoto works well most of the time but when it has an aberration it is a pain in the backside. It upsets all your folders and puts photos in the wrong order and goodness knows what else. We've just spent weeks putting them all back in order after it had a go.

A good alternative is to download your photos straight into the Pictures folder and open them up in Preview. Preview has some editing features but I use Snapheal, available from the Mac Apps page. It has some really good editing features, not the least the fact that you can erase unwanted stuff like telephone wire and electricity pylons very easily and with no apparent side effects.

TWT
1st Nov 2012, 09:31
Pentagon plans to buy iPhones, Androids in threat to BlackBerry&rsquo;s market share - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/pentagon-plans-to-buy-iphones-androids-in-threat-to-blackberrys-market-share/2012/10/28/aeafb0a4-1f8f-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_story.html)

Is it possible to secure Apple and Android devices to the same (not perfect) standard as Blackberry's ?

MacBoero
1st Nov 2012, 13:50
I haven't tried it, but on reading the enterprise deployment documentation for iOS devices, it sound feasible. My understanding is that you can for example, lock down an iOS device so that it can only connect via VPN to the Internet. The VPN end-point would be your own corporate servers, thus subjecting the iOS device, where ever it is, to the same filtered Internet the in-house employees get. It also means the iOS device effectively operates inside the company network, and is able to access the usual corporate intranet services.

Android is not something I've looked into. We had a couple of projects that wanted to use it, but they had great difficulty securing the systems to the satisfaction of the Information Assurance bods. That was a couple of years ago though, so maybe things have changed. I haven't seen the security model of Android either, as I have for iOS.

There was a report by the SANS Institute in late 2011, that describes how some of the techniques, like those native to the iOS Enterprise deployment tools, can be implemented, but at that time they were pretty much a DIY job. This involved getting messy with command line access to the device over SSH. That was a year ago, so I would be surprised if things haven't moved on and Google and third parties haven't developed tools and scripts to automate much of this.

mixture
1st Nov 2012, 23:02
TWT,

Is it possible to secure Apple and Android devices to the same (not perfect) standard as Blackberry's ?

Can't speak much for Android, but its certainly viable with Apple.

For a start, the platform itself is very solid and stable. If you don't jailbreak an iPhone/iPad it has a very small vulnerability footprint.

There are already enterprise deployment tools available (for free or little cost I might add... especially compared to the expense of Blackberry and BES Enterprise !). The more large customers Apple gets onboard, the more features the enterprise tools will gain.

But the existing Apple tools already cover most of the core bases e.g. ability to set key restrictions (e.g. no app install, no camera, no you tube, no iCloud etc. ). And it works well .... for example, if you restrict camera usage, the iPhone hides all references to the camera (i.e. no camera app to be seen).

With Apple's APNs service (free at point of use, just need a low cost developer account to get a certificate) corporates can push notifications to intranet apps they may build. No need for Apple servers either, you can push messages from a 5-10 line PHP/Python/Perl script ! Push email is a given with Exchange and probably other major platforms too.

A colleague and I have recently switched from Blackberry 9900s to iPhone 5s and I tell you, I'm not bemoaning the loss of the Blackberry.

TWT
2nd Nov 2012, 15:02
Thanks for your comments mixture,much appreciated.

aviate1138
13th Nov 2012, 10:49
To those wanting to order a new iMac I am told the Apple Store preorder page may be [May be!] updated tomorrow Wed 14th Nov. I am not holding my breath though.....

Something must be screwing up the delivery of Late 2012 iMacs as I have never known the present non availability [even non preorder situation] for such a long period.

Will the 27" be in stores by Christmas even? Nearly a 2013 model then.......

Ho! Ho! Ho!

luca321
19th Nov 2012, 15:11
Hi everybody!

I have a Macbook Pro and I've just installed Windows 7 on Parallels. It runs perfectly.
However every time I try to install the OAT Essential Mathematics and Essential Physics part 1 & 2 software, an error like this comes up:

"Could not open input file
\\psf\lessons\FM-ene-conserv.dxt"

If I choose to ignore every file, other errors like this comes up!

Does someone know how to solve this problem? I have searched the web for information but i have found absolutely nothing.

Thank you for your attention,

Luca

mixture
19th Nov 2012, 20:05
"\\psf\lessons\FM-ene-conserv.dxt"

This refers to a shared drive, likely on your employer's servers.

Has your employer provided a remote access mechanism ? Sounds like this isn't working correctly. Speak to your IT department and tell them that "the remote access mechanism is not correctly mapping the shared drive on psf".

Oh, and don't mention Mac and Parallels to them.... they should troubleshoot the Parallels install of Windows 7 just like a normal Windows 7 machine.

luca321
20th Nov 2012, 08:49
I have no employer! I'm only a 19 yo guy trying to pass the assessment at OAA! :O

How can I fix it on my own?

mixture
20th Nov 2012, 12:24
In which case, it sounds like a software developer at OAA might not have removed a hard-coded link to the shared drive.

Much as I'd like to help more, I think you'll need to speak to the IT people at whoever provided the software.

Best of luck with the training.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Nov 2012, 16:58
one possible answer is that you've incorrectly configured the installation as a client / server setup, rather than as standalone

p1fel
23rd Nov 2012, 09:56
Was looking forward to getting the latest iMac, now having to forgo the purchase, there's no Optical Drive.
How on earth can software be loaded for the a printer say, or to watch a movie without a DVD drive.
What's happening with Apple after the ios 6 appalling maps debacle.

AppleMacster
23rd Nov 2012, 10:27
p1fel,

The assumption is that all people are now online. This isn't always the case, of course. Printer drivers are often more up-to-date download from the manufacturer, than the disk in the box. Movies can be downloaded or streamed. Again, this isn't always the case.

If you need a DVD rewriter, you can pick them up for peanuts. I've got one for one of my MacMinis and it cost £25 from Tesco. Works a treat.

mixture
23rd Nov 2012, 10:37
How on earth can software be loaded for the a printer say, or to watch a movie without a DVD drive.

Bah... stop your whinging... :E

As AppleMacster says, you should not be installing drivers (printers or otherwise) using stuff that comes in the box. Boxes sit on various warehouse shelves along the distribution channel for months on end..... you are always better off downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer website.

And anyway, you'll find OS X has many printer drivers built in, and Apple can also provide automatic download options for many of the printer drivers that are not built in.

If you like watching DVDs on your computer then just buy a cheap external DVD drive. Its no big deal.

To be honest, all my present computers have DVD/CD drives, and I hardly use them. I do my backups to external hard drives connected via Firewire or USB because DVDs don't have enough capacity, and I download the latest drivers and software updates from the internet.

When I want to watch a DVD, I much prefer watching it on a TV attached to a DVD player.... sitting on the sofa is much more comfortable....

The internet (and local LAN and WLAN networks) are rendering traditional technologies such as DVD/CD redundant. And if you can't manage to transfer a file to someone over the internet, LAN or WLAN, there's always the ubiquitous USB stick which are cheap as chips these days.

What's happening with Apple after the ios 6 appalling maps debacle.

You can't compare the maps debacle (which they are working hard to fix) with the evolution of computing.....

Apple were the first company to drop the floppy drive.... many people were making mountains out of molehills back then .... tell me, do you honestly miss your floppy drive now ? :E

Same goes for ADB, serial ports, SCSI, built-in modems and all the other technologies Apple dropped at various points in time.

Now go buy that iMac you wanted in the first place and grab a DVD drive off Amazon.

p1fel
23rd Nov 2012, 19:07
Thank you AppleMacster, I appreciate your more measured and informative reply. Rather disgusted by mixture's response. Clearly not a friendly Apple Mac user. I've never owned an iMac and would like to, but I'll think I'll use another forum to get advice in future. I thought I posted in Jet Blast by accident :(

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Nov 2012, 20:22
You may not like it, but mixture is totally correct about this.
Except for renting DVD videos, the optical drive is well on the way to obselescence.
Installing device drivers from a CD/DVD is pointless. My experience is more with Windows than Macs, but with Vista / Win7 / Win8 virtually all drivers for common hardware are available online through plug n pray and windows update. The device manufacturers often have more advanced drivers available for download, but these will always be newer than those "out of the box"
I haven't used a hardware setup disk in years - except on the odd occasion where the customer doesn't have broadband, or on the really rare occasion when I was reinstalling a piece of geriatric kit.
Virtually all software is available for download, while for backup optical drives aren't big enough (as as we all know, no-one does backups anyway)

p1fel
23rd Nov 2012, 21:52
Hello MiloMindberbinder, thank you I understand all. I don't doubt he's is correct, but attitude!! when I'm seeking advice?
I've always run a PC with Windows and I'm getting sick to the teeth of problems and security issue's with MS products and it appears like most enlightened computer users, the Apple Mac seems to be a superior product, but at a price in the UK.
My concern is that I also have large CD collecton where I transfer only the tracks I like to my desktop PC and play them with iTunes. Apple Macs are very tidy looking machines and seems that with the new 2012 iMac, I will require an external optical drive to transfer my music and thanks to yours and Apple Macster's reply, I see it may not be an issue. The 2011 iMac does have a neat optical drive to the side of the display though and I was wondering if I should buy the outgoing version over the latest version, that's all.

Milo Minderbinder
24th Nov 2012, 00:08
I think your question ignores the reality of the fact that Apple and Foxconn have really screwed up on production and distribution and left the sales channels very short of stock. There has been disruption by the staff in some of the factories, while there are unconfirmed reports of production issues with the new machines. Production of the old machines was stopped some time ago to allow the stocks to shift before the new ones arrived
Except the new ones haven't shipped from China yet...................Apples stores are screaming for stock in the runup to Christmas - and they're expecting nowt to arrive
If you really want to buy a Mac before Xmas, it will be a case of whatever you can find, will be it. So prices will be high.......if you can hold on till later, then do so.

Jet II
24th Nov 2012, 04:22
The 2011 iMac does have a neat optical drive to the side of the display though and I was wondering if I should buy the outgoing version over the latest version, that's all.

Only if you get a very good discount - external optical drives are dirt cheap so shouldn't have any bearing on your decision. The new version has much better performance and you will using this performance all the time, a built in optical drive is used very rarely.

mixture
24th Nov 2012, 06:51
Clearly not a friendly Apple Mac user.

Oh you are much mistaken my friend.

Ask anyone round these' parts about my stance on Apple and they'll tell you, I'm a bit of an Apple supporter (for all the right reasons, not just a fanboi). My first wholly owned Mac was the SE/30 and I've always used Macs at home ever since (my current work desktop is also a Mac, as is my work laptop). They are great pieces of kit, well worth the investment.

I guess my post above could look a little harsh and too the point, but the fact is I've been heavily involved in the IT industry for many years now, and I can spot the difference between a manufacturer that's "lost it" or spouting bull .... and a manufacturer with a healthy future that is making reliable, high-quality equipment.

I also found it somewhat depressing that you would forgo your purchase of an excellent piece of equipment that is an Apple iMac just because it had no internal DVD drive.

As far as I'm concerned there's nothing "happening with Apple" as you put it. Yes the IOS Maps issue was an embarrassing hiccup ..... but other than that, I remain confident in their future and their decision about DVD drives in iMacs. :E

p1fel
24th Nov 2012, 09:05
Thanks to all and mixture too, all comments appreciated.

I guess like so many Windows users, there comes a time when one sees the light and considers going Apple Mac.

Ever since I first flew with capt pprune in the late 90's he advocated going the Apple Mac route. I baulked due to their high pricing and remained PC since Windows 3.1 until Windows7 (thankfully skipping that dreadful Vista)

My kids bought me an iPad2 and I was very very impressed with it, until I updated to ios6. Ever since the 'Slide To Unlock' has taken up to 8 seconds to become functional when with ios5 it worked almost immediately. Also when I needed the maps most driving in Germany the iPad was a big let down.

So my desire to go iMac was tempered somewhat with niggles and doubts just when I'm about to invest in an iMac. I do use my optical drive admitedly not often, so when I find out the 2012 iMac didn't have an optical drive, I was some what concerned.

Thanks for all in trying to reassure me.

Thanks, regards p1fel

mixture
24th Nov 2012, 15:09
p1fel,

Back in those days it used to be a tougher decision because Apple were using the IBM PowerPC processors.

However now they are using Intel processors, it means Windows virtualisation can be done more than adequately using VMWare or Parallels in conjunction with a Windows license.

This means that unless you are doing heavy gaming, graphics rendering or other significant work that would require you to use a hardware PC, you can always have a copy of Windows readily available at hand to maintain computability with applications that don't run on OS X (or the odd Internet Exploder only website).

N.B. I said above access to a hardware PC, but you can also use Apple Bootcamp to the same effect.... a quick reboot turns your mac into the same thing as a hardware PC, absolutely no difference. However for most people, the virtualisation route is a better one as it means you can run both systems at the same time (and drag files back and forth).

Milo Minderbinder
24th Nov 2012, 15:12
now you just have to find one..........try the Trafford Centre or John Lewis, that the most likely places for you to find one in Manchester

Personally, I've never liked Macs, but after the recent trialling of Win8, given the two I think the MacOS is the least unlikeable. Microsoft are really going to suffer from Win8 - IF Apple can get their distribution channel sorted

mixture
24th Nov 2012, 15:18
One other thing I would say is that RAM is cheap as chips....when buying a new computer (Mac or PC) you should always max out the RAM to the most that's affordable to you.

Although having said that, I see the new iMacs seem to come with 8GB, which is probably adequate for most average users.... however if you're thinking about implementing my virtualisation note above and therefore installing a copy of VMware with Windows, getting more RAM won't hurt as it means you can allocate a realistic chunk of RAM to the Windows virtual machine.

But you can always add RAM easily at a later date, so can always be done later if you see your utilisation could do with more RAM.

crewmeal
24th Nov 2012, 20:07
I suppose if you have a library full of blu-ray discs then the best thing is to buy an blu-ray external drive for a Mac. But what software would you need to convert to 1080 mp4?

Milo Minderbinder
24th Nov 2012, 20:49
Google is your friend
I assume you have a Mac not a PC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovQdv7brnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJdxZ-tttg

Milo Minderbinder
24th Nov 2012, 21:14
if yiu just want to play back Blu-ray on a Mac without messing about
How To Play a Blu Ray on Mac [2012] - YouTube

note it needs an internet connection during playback
there must be other players that work OK though. How about the Mac version of VLC?

clearblueskyy
28th Nov 2012, 05:19
Is something wrong with the iphone app?
just wont let me log in!!

p1fel
28th Nov 2012, 08:26
Visited Apple at the Trafford centre.... uhm, spoken down and patronised somewhat by an agent. However something that did come out was, all I've backed up on an external hard drive from my Windows PC will not be recognised by an iMac machine. Flowery dismissive work arounds suggested, but over all, another issue of concern moving form PC to Mac.

mixture
28th Nov 2012, 08:37
uhm, spoken down and patronised somewhat by an agent.

Sorry to hear that, but I wouldn't let you put that off. Hopefully an isolated incident (although I don't have any experience of the Trafford Centre outlet, I've seen the shopping centre itself on telly and it looks ghastly.....).

However something that did come out was, all I've backed up on an external hard drive from my Windows PC will not be recognised by an iMac machine.

How did you create that backup on your PC ?

another issue of concern moving form PC to Mac.

Nonsense. Macs can read files created on PCs.... I do it the whole time at work. My work desktop is a Mac, my work laptop is a Mac... except for one, my colleagues, suppliers and customers use PCs. If you've got some files created by proprietary Windows software then you can use VMWare/Parallels on the Mac for that. But otherwise, most stuff can just be read natively on the Mac.

But in the end, its your personal decision... nobody here wants to force you to own a mac. But then Windows 8 has probably brought quite a few changes that will take some getting used to if you've come from a world of Windows XP. So you'll be in a bit of a Catch 22. Personally, I reckon' in the long term you'll buy a mac and look back in ten years time and wonder what all the fuss you were making was about. :E

p1fel
28th Nov 2012, 16:51
Hi mixture, re your last paragraph, I'm begining to feel a little more confident with a prospective plunge into the unknown and I'm sure you are quite correct in what you say.

The agent made a comment, saying ".... blame Windows, but an iMac will not see your Hard Disk Drive" leaving me a little dismayed. He said I would have to get a USB memory stick and transfer files a MAC will recognise, such as .jpg, .doc, .pdf, .mp3 individually. I have video's in mpg4, avi, wmv and I'm hoping that an iMac will play them. I have pdf files in a folder and I'm uncertain if iMac will see the folder.

I've either dragged a file and/or folder from the C Drive to, (what my PC shows as) 'New Volume H:' the USB connected Hard drive. or..
I've clicked on 'Send To' - 'New Volume H:' I haven't used any imaging back up software to back up my C drive onto the H drive, if that makes sense?

As for the work arounds you mentioned in earlier post's, to have Windows work on a Mac, I think that's probably too complicated a task for me.

Ancient Observer
28th Nov 2012, 17:08
p1fel

I agree about the ipad2 with ios6.
SWMBO has one, and downloaded ios6. Since then, it turns itself on and off with no command from us, and when we do ask it to get out of bed, it behaves like a teenager.

Your 8 seconds is lightning quick compared to ours.

SWMBO thought it was great until ios6. She now thinks it's a pile of ****.
Shame that such a potentially great product has been ruined with ios6.

On the apple support communities, it is made very clear that apple will not and do not support "down" - it is more like up - grading from ios6 to 5.

p1fel
28th Nov 2012, 21:29
Ancient Observer, I agree.
I've got an appointment with Genius Bar, hoping they will sort out my iPad2. At least if others are commenting about the effect a so called upgrading from ios5to ios6 has caused, they cannot deny they don't have an issue as they clearly do.

Ancient Observer
29th Nov 2012, 09:41
Please let us know if you get anywhere.

The apple community boards suggest that no-one in apple is admitting to a problem.

SWMBO's turns on, the apple in the centre is bright, as though it wants to do something, then the apple goes dull and it won't start. I've waited an hour and it won't start. I then have to press home and start buttons together for 10 secs, and it turns off. Then, turn it on again, and if I'm lucky, it starts. As you say, the actual starting is much, much slower. The slide, once it eventually appears, can take ages to actually want to slide.

As I said before, it turns itself on and off with no commands from us.

I've given up with the apple community boards, as no-one seems to be getting any satisfaction.

SWMBO really liked this ipad in the early days. Now it is as bad as early windoze products.
No wonder apple are firing so many senior bods. This software is much worse than Vista. Our family has 2 Vista laptops. At least they both work. (Having said that, Mrs Gates' XP updates recently killed off one of our machines - at least the ipad is only half dead)

p1fel
29th Nov 2012, 22:07
iPad2 replaced with a new one.
Had ios5 on it and it worked superbly just like my original when new.
As it had ios5 it wouldn't sync with my icloud back up.
To get my saved data back, I had to download ios6.........

appears to be back to normal and working now.

crewmeal
30th Nov 2012, 05:28
You'll have to buy a new ipad4 with the A6 processor! Opening up is instant. Having said that no doubt there will be a new model sometime next year. This surely begs the question of how often and how much do you spend on all this. If you upgrade twice a year you'll be looking at around £1000 a year. No wonder Apple is doing well.

The down side to these upgrades is that any sound boxes or connectors won't work because Apple have decided to introduce a new smaller version.

mixture
1st Dec 2012, 14:14
You'll have to buy a new ipad4 with the A6 processor!

Seriously ? Couldn't you be bothered to do the slightest bit of research ?

A few milliseconds with Google, or on the Apple website would have yielded the iOS What's New page on the Apple website "www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/"

It quite clearly shows there that iOS 6 is compatible with iPhone variants 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, and both the original iPad and the new iPad 2. It also quite clearly shows the small number of limitations if you run it on older devices (this varies model by model).

These limitations are not set by Apple because they want you to buy a new iPhone, its because the performance of older devices don't enable the newer more demanding applications to run.

Having said that no doubt there will be a new model sometime next year.The down side to these upgrades is that any sound boxes or connectors won't work because Apple have decided to introduce a new smaller version.

Oh right... and your favourite goody-two-shoes phone manufacturer, Nokia, Samsung or whatever wouldn't do that ? Believe me, I've been involved in the IT industry a long time.... if there's a potential technical or commercial advantage to be had, then the associated action will be taken without much regard for the customer base, no matter what the name is on the door.

Remind me, who's the primary developer of Android following the acquisiton of Android Inc ? Oh yeah, that's right, Google. Great track record they have on keeping features on their product portfolio don't they ? :E

Personally, I prefer the new connector to the old in many ways. For a start, physically its more robust, technically its faster and bidirectional.

I've no time for ignorant Apple bashers.

crewmeal
1st Dec 2012, 14:28
mixture I've no time for ignorant Apple bashers.

Thank you for your thoughts and ill conceived comment. Far from being an Apple basher I'm very happy with my new ipad and Macbook pro. I was merely commenting on the consistent changes there are in the Apple world. What was the point of changing the connector in the first place? The older one was fine. Perhaps as you have been in the IT industry a long time you could answer the question?

Shopping around Curry's yesterday I couldn't fine a single sound box that is compatible with the new Apple connector.

MacBoero
1st Dec 2012, 17:20
The old 30-pin connector is a fixed design, with all the pin designations set since the beginning, it therefore has a plethora of pins that are no longer going to be used like Firewire or see declining use like analogue audio out. It would be difficult to reassign them for more modern uses, because of the fallout from damaging some older kit with a 30-pin dock.

Apple clearly wants a connector that allows them to change the pin functions as new things come along. All of the pins on the new connector can be reassigned, with the chip in the plug telling the iDevice what the pins do. So the included USB cable has a chip in it that tells the iDevice which pins have power and which pins are the USB2 connection.

There are already 8-pin adapters for HDMI, VGA, audio. I can see the connector being used for USB3, when the flash memory storage is fast enough to warrant it.

crewmeal
1st Dec 2012, 17:24
Thanks MacBoero. That's what I call a helpful and useful explanation. Perhaps I and others can understand the logic behind the changes:ok:

mixture
1st Dec 2012, 21:41
crewmeal

Ok, looks like I might have mis-interpreted your post a little, although I reckon your wording did provide a little scope for such an incident to occur.

Nonetheless, I will hold up my hand and apologise.... I've had a couple of long days plus timezone changes.... so might be quicker off the trigger than usual !

I think MacBoero has largely hit it on the head. The reason for Apple's change was, as far as I can tell (because Apple don't pay my wages), purely technical, not commercial or design based.

Many people complain that Apple should have stuck a micro-USB connector on the iPhone instead of the Lightning connector they have. But this would limit technical flexibility, and you would loose some of the physical benefits of the Lighting connector (doesn't matter which way in you stick the Lighting connector, but the micro-USB can only go one way..... I sometimes find myself on a non hands-free phone call, trying to plug the phone into the charger because its running out of battery .... that task is easier to achieve with the Lightining conector than a micro-USB one).

But MacBoero also missed something .....

Micro-USB has a wattage limitation. The Lighting connector can carry a minimum of 12 watts (judging by the 12W AC adapter Apple sell).

This means apple can have consistency across the iPod, iPad, iTouch range, as well as future products with larger power consumption requirements due to bigger screens or whatever. Higher wattage also means faster recharging times.

So when you look at it that way.... all those moaning bloggers, journalists (and PPRuNers, crewmeal and a handful of others excepted) are just closet ignorant Apple bashers who really should have done their homework before posting about "yet more proprietary Apple stuff".

crewmeal.... I offer you a virtual handshake and an offer of peace and harmony ! This is, afterall, PPRuNe and not the Gaza Strip !

Stick Flying
2nd Dec 2012, 09:02
Sorry Mixture,

ios6 is not compatible with the original iPad.

mixture
2nd Dec 2012, 09:35
ok, the original iPad but only the one with retina Display..... as per the Apple website link posted above.

Ancient Observer
2nd Dec 2012, 12:36
The us of the word "compatible" in the IT world is interesting.
As I said earlier in this debate and in other threads, SWMBO loved her ipad2.
However, time on the apple community boards and elsewhere on google shows that the ipad 2 is not "compatible" with ios 6. All the foul ups reported are not just cos the Ancient household is technologically backward.

Apple limits software updates. We've an older Touch that no longer "benefits" from software updates. That's fine by me. It does what we bought it for.

I wish they'd done that with ipad2 and ios6.

BusyB
3rd Dec 2012, 09:56
This is all a bit confusing. I and colleagues have iPad 2's which are upgrade to ios6 with no problems whatsoever. Been using ios6 for at least 4-6 weeks.:confused:

p1fel
3rd Dec 2012, 11:13
A bit hasty of me to say my iPad with ios6 was ok again, well it appears not. It takes a full 8 seconds for the 'Slide to Unlock' button to work. This never happened with ios5, the slider worked almost immediately then every time, now it doesn't. Regrettably this apparent misfunction takes the shine off a great product.

I'd be interested, has no one else noticed from switching on and after the Apple logo disappears, the 'Slide To Unlock' will not operate for a further 8 seconds?

Ancient Observer
7th Dec 2012, 14:09
SWMBO was about to chuck this £500 piece of Apple junk.
Now just 13 months old.
It randomly turns itself on and off, and will only start less than half the time. Currently doing a full restore. Takes blooming ages.
Catch 22 in the Restore is that the ipad is asked by the pc to turn itself off and on a few times. As it will only turn itself on at about 40% of the time, am having to sit here with the little (think of v rude american swearword).

broadreach
7th Dec 2012, 23:51
I venture in here having read only the first and last pages of the thread. Will read those in between over the next few days but, if any alert Ppruner gives me a heads-up, I'd be appreciative.

The battery life of my iPad 3 (the one without a number) seems very low compared to the first version. Within 20 minutes from 100% it's down to registering low 80s battery left.

And, when charging up from that 80% level the heat emanating from it is enough to fry eggs. Back at 100% charged, it's cool all over.

Ambient temperature when at the low 80s point and plugged in to recharge was 33C. I was sweating but half expected the iPad to explode.

As said above, I'll trawl the thread for answers but if any kind soul can point me to the answer (i.e. why the hell does it heat up so much), much appreciated.

Milo Minderbinder
8th Dec 2012, 07:27
at face value that sounds like a faulty battery

is it still under warranty?

broadreach
8th Dec 2012, 13:51
Thanks Milo,

Yes, it's under warranty. Before I take it back I intend to do some timing to see how long the battery really lasts, how long it takes to recharge, and the temperatures it reaches.

Milo Minderbinder
8th Dec 2012, 14:06
be careful

I once had a phone battery short out while the phone was in my trouser pocket, and to say the result was warming would be an understatement.

I managed to get the battery out of the phone before it burst into flames, but if I'd left it any longer I think I would have been faced with a very challenging situation
(I was actually in WH Smiths at the time, in a queue waiting to pay and had to run for the door, arms full of unpaid shopping with store security chasing me as I tried to get the phone apart before it burst into flames....)

broadreach
8th Dec 2012, 23:09
And thanks again, Milo; you've conjured up a hilarious picture of sprinting for the courtyard or street, belching flames and smoke from your midsection and epithets from your mouth. Glad you survived.

I'm acutely aware of the danger of batteries shorting, resulting in serious injuries or, IIRC death; seem to remember an instance reported on Pprune some years ago of a photographer whose Lio belt exploded when he was flying as a passenger. I've taken to wearing a photographer's or fisherman's vest, one of those with zillions of pockets, whenever i take gizmos with batteries with me.

Now I'm wondering what influence ambient air temp has to do with battery overheating. When I wrote yesterday the temperature was around 33C, the iPad was charging and, as I mentioned, one could fry eggs on it. Today I let the iPad go down to under 50% charge and only began charging in the late afternoon shade, temp around 25C and falling. The charge is up to 72% and rising rapidly, and the iPad casing is cool.

Shiny side down
9th Dec 2012, 16:00
Does anyone know how to disable blocking of pop-ups in Opera on iPad 2. If so, would you care to share?

Company is using sabre, and opera seems to be the only browser that gives even partial functionality on an Apple device.

I have used opera on my MBPro with acceptable results.
However, using the same company website on iPad, Opera tells me to disable block pop ups, but I cannot find an option for it.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Dec 2012, 18:13
Are you using Opera, or Opera Mini? Given that you are using an iPad I suspect its the Mini version

All the online help I can find indicates that Opera Mini does not support popups - which makes sense given the cloud-based rendering it uses.

Will the full Opera browser run on a iPad? If it will, try that

5milesbaby
17th Dec 2012, 14:50
Can anyone recommend a decent dvd maker/creator? I had an excellent one on the old MacBook Pro preinstalled but looks like I'll have to spend a few ££'s now I've had to upgrade to a new Pro! If I'm shelling out for a program, it may as well be a good one. I've made a couple of movies in iMovie already but it is very basic and can't even create a title menu - unless someone can educate me.

All I'm after is a simple program that can create a DVD title menu, create a combination of slideshows and movies (like iMovie), and if possible, also burn the final project to disk to be played in a normal DVD player. The last isn't a must as Burn does this excellently anyway.

Thanks!

5mb

MacBoero
17th Dec 2012, 15:26
Roxio Toast might be an option worth looking into. Two versions: Standard is about £85, the Pro version is about £125.

Roxio Toast 11 Family - DVD Burning - Video Conversion - Music and Video Capture for Mac (http://www.roxio.co.uk/eng/products/toast/compare.html)

IThink
17th Dec 2012, 16:27
Doesn't iDVD do enough? I am sure it does a title page anyway and then can burn?

5milesbaby
17th Dec 2012, 19:02
IThink, that's my problem. iDVD was great and simple and I wish I had it. New Macs don't come with it and the only way to get it is to buy the iLife box off the shelf for £46 which comes with 5 programs, 3 of which I have already (pre installed) and the 5th that I would never use. I am after advice as to whether there is another app out there that for £46 or there abouts is actually a much better buy, or as already suggested, I may as well splash out another £46 and buy a super app.

Milo Minderbinder
17th Dec 2012, 19:38
anyone tried this freebie?
might do what you need

Burn - Home (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html)

5milesbaby
17th Dec 2012, 20:04
Burn does what it says on the tin - burns. Want something that creates the full movie with titles/menus etc first. Basically I want iDVD, but want to see if shelling out £46 is worth it or if there is something better for that sort of cash.

Milo Minderbinder
17th Dec 2012, 20:52
try this then
I've used it on PCs. Its not the best, but it will do a job, and will run on a Mac

DVDStyler - Free DVD Authoring Application (http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/)

IThink
18th Dec 2012, 03:11
Ahh 5 miles. I too changed macbook in the Summer and had iDVD on the old one, it seems that when I set up the new one (which I now realise didn't have it pre installed) i was given the option to port across software from the final back up of the old one. Looking at the APPs last night I assumed it got there pre-installed when on checking I now realise it came from the back up.

5milesbaby
18th Dec 2012, 07:57
Thanks Milo, will give that a go.

IThink - I had a graphics card failure in the old one that damaged the motherboard so I didn't get the luxury of porting. Fortunately I had nearly everything backed up on external hard drive!

Firestorm
18th Dec 2012, 21:02
5milesbaby, surely a quick look in the App Store will point you in the right direction. There seem to be a few free ones, and a few paid ones (presumably the free ones don't have all the features of the paid ones).

Can you create your video in iMovie, and then burn it to disc?

mcdhu
18th Dec 2012, 22:08
Nightmare! All of a sudden - possibly connected with upgrading iTunes to 11.01 - neither iPhone 4S nor iPad 3 will synch (both IOS 6) with the iMac. Tried both wireless and via USB cable. iTunes goes through the motions, but stuff does not transfer across.

Tried switching each off - and the iMac (OS X Lion 10.7.5), rebooted the router, made sure all the right Synch buttons are pressed in iTunes.

Maybe I'll have to try the Cloud, but last time I tried that, I got double entries all over the place and lost the lot trying to fix it.

Any ideas anyone please?

Load Toad
18th Dec 2012, 22:17
So I lose my iPhone4, get a 5 and try to restore all the iPhone4 contacts to the new phone. (iTunes, iCloud etc)

Have a file I can see on my 'puter 'Contacts' but the new phone only downloads the ones in iCloud which seems to have saved only about 1/3 leaving me 258 contacts to update long hand. Ace.
(And the last 'Sync' was 1 day before losing the 4).

No photographs saved - good job I'd manually saved them to my 'puter.

Not very impressive at all Apple.

mixture
19th Dec 2012, 06:00
No photographs saved - good job I'd manually saved them to my 'puter.
Not very impressive at all Apple.

iPhone backup and restore mechanisms are well documented on the Apple website. It is not entirely clear from your description, but it sounds like you did not follow these, in which case you've got nobody to blame but yourself.

Load Toad
19th Dec 2012, 06:15
Well since you don't know what I did your opinion is worth jack.

212man
19th Dec 2012, 10:09
I downloaded some photographs from my camera (D300s) via the USB cable to my iMac, and then deleted them from the SD card once complete. I then found that they were nowhere to be found in iphoto album! However, when the screensaver comes on - with random photos - I see them passing by as if to taunt me!! Any ideas how to find them?

Thanks

mixture
19th Dec 2012, 13:49
Well since you don't know what I did your opinion is worth jack.

Thank you sir and welcome to my ignore list.

For a start, your description as posted above suggests you were trying to simultaneously use iCloud and local backup files... something which Apple tell you in multiple places is not supported.

foresight
19th Dec 2012, 14:43
I downloaded some photographs from my camera (D300s) via the USB cable to my iMac, and then deleted them from the SD card once complete. I then found that they were nowhere to be found in iphoto album! However, when the screensaver comes on - with random photos - I see them passing by as if to taunt me!! Any ideas how to find them?

Make sure you have All My Files showing in the sidebar of the Finder. Select 'Show All' in Images and whizz through till you find them. Alternatively type .jpg in Spotlight and click Show All in Finder.

Are you sure you didn't download them in Image Capture?

Loose rivets
19th Dec 2012, 15:09
D-I-Ls Mac dispatched to Dallas from way down south. (10 hour drive)

It was out of warranty, with a $600 estimate, however, all done free cos of theses graphics board history issues.

Back in one day! (with all hardware codes updated.)

Nice to tell of good news.

5milesbaby
21st Dec 2012, 08:37
mcdhu - have you checked each individual sync settings? A couple of upgrades ago iTunes dropped the "sync all" to "sync checked" for my iPod and that took me ages to work out why!! Could be worth running through them all again to be sure.

mcdhu
23rd Dec 2012, 13:22
Thanks 5miles. I have finally got it to work. Not sure what the eventual answer was, but it now works.

You may be able to help me with this one though - if you insert a new event in your iPad/iPhone's iCal, should it put it onto the iMac's iCal when you sync? ie does it sync both ways or is there a button somewhere that controls that aspect?
Thanks again
mcdhu

Skysurfer1
26th Dec 2012, 13:28
Hello,

I am looking at buying an iPad Mini.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the iPad and could give some feedback.

I have not bought one yet, but wondering if I should buy just the WIFI or the WIFI + Cellular?? I would like to use the internet to check weather and file flight plans from the aircraft, whilst on the ground. Has anyone tried getting a signal from about 3000-6000feet? I know this sounds crazy, but it would be interesting to know!!

I want to use Skydemon on my iPad Mini and wondering if there is feedback on that flight planner with use on the iPad?

Thanks very much!

Skysurfer

mixture
26th Dec 2012, 15:15
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the iPad and could give some feedback.

I've just ordered myself one as a Christmas treat to replace my old iPad as I quite like the idea of owning something more compact. Give me a week or so and I'll be happy to give you some feedback. :O

I have not bought one yet, but wondering if I should buy just the WIFI or the WIFI + Cellular??

Personal preference. If you're almost always near WiFi (e.g. WiFi at home, WiFi in hotels, WiFi at airports, WiFi in coffee shops) then you might not miss Cellular.

But you might like to have the cellular option just incase. Bear in mind though that it's likely you will need to have an active SIM card in there, because it might (not sure, especially not sure on the iPad mini) display nagging prompts if you try to run it with nothing in the SIM card slot.

Personally, I've only ordered the WiFi version, because I've already got an iPhone. So if I'm desperate for internet access somewhere that doesn't have wireless (or only has "untrusted" wireless), I'll just use my iPhone. But that's based on my preference and usage patterns... you might not want that sort of "hassle" and so might prefer getting Wifi+Cellular built-in on a single device.

Has anyone tried getting a signal from about 3000-6000feet?

Do a search of this forum. Legal/Company policies aside, the topic has been covered before here.

I want to use Skydemon on my iPad Mini and wondering if there is feedback on that flight planner with use on the iPad?

Maybe try the private flying forum on PPRune ? Seems to be quite a bit of praise around for it, see here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/478255-skydemon-ipad.html) for example.

Skysurfer1
26th Dec 2012, 16:00
Thank You!

5milesbaby
7th Jan 2013, 21:11
Sorry mcdhu, been away from the laptop for a few weeks and missed your question! I only have a Macbook so not sure of the syncings of iCal, but from what I understand, it should all sync together if your settings are set to sync everything. Being an Android mobile user I have a Google account that syncs my calendars, I also get the good lady's calendar synced to it. What I found with that was we both had to save our dates in Cal under our Google account (as opposed to the "my phone" default) so then Google updates and in turn updates the other devices. For events I enter that she doesn't need to see I just save them to "my phone" rather than under my Google account setting (I get the option). If you try making a new entry onto your iCal, does it give you the option to either save it as "this iPad only" or "visible to all users"? Could be worth a check.

cavortingcheetah
3rd Feb 2013, 05:08
On a new 15 Mac laptop, there's a low battery warning dialogue box which usually appears at somewhere around 10% battery power remaining. This is in confirmation of the battery logo in the menu bar which you can have showing or not. It's an OSX thing, not an app.
If this warning box ceases to appear has anyone an idea as to how to restore it? There seems to be nothing in Preferences/Energy that relates to the logo.

mixture
3rd Feb 2013, 09:11
As far as I know, there is no way to disable such alerts, and thus no way is provided to enable them because they are intended never to be disabled in the first place.

Have you been fiddling around ? :cool:

le Pingouin
3rd Feb 2013, 11:09
Google came up with this possibility:

Macbook Pro – No Low Battery Warning « arthur.wiebe (http://blog.artooro.com/2011/11/29/macbook-pro-no-low-battery-warning/)

cavortingcheetah
3rd Feb 2013, 12:33
Fiddle around?Good gracious no, not at my level of ineptitude. I'd tried the default reset though, to no avail. I sense a genius bar appointment coming sometime when I am where there is one.
Thank you anyway, much appreciated.

Ancient Observer
27th Mar 2013, 12:31
SWMBO's ipad cost ukp500. It died just after its 12 month warranty ran out, and not long after 6.0 came out. Strongly connected, me thinks.

I did all the stuff that Apple help and communities suggested.

In the end, it was just a pile of c***.

Took it, eventually, in to an Apple shop for an, er, "Genius" appointment. Their shops are not near me, so we had to wait until we were near one, and willing to take in the ipad.

The lady that dealt with us was civil, pleasant, and with help from her mates, decided that our one was dead. Her diagnosis was that it kept re-cycling itself on and off. That's what I thought.

Apple's idea of a repair was to offer a replacement for ukp200.

So a 500 pile of junk becomes a ukp700 ipad?

I was not impressed, but SWMBO likes the ipad..............

Eventually, lady offered to classify the problem as a battery problem, and then a replacement became ukp80...........which we paid. She made the point that the replacement was guaranteed for 12 months, and no more.

So I went to another place in Reading, (Noatech) and bought a reasonable, reasonably priced, but not the cheapest (ukp140) "replacement" 10.1 Android thingy. Does all that Apple's product does.
Happier now.

mixture
27th Mar 2013, 12:39
SWMBO's ipad cost ukp500. It died just after its 12 month warranty ran out, and not long after 6.0 came out. Strongly connected, me thinks.

Don't make such idiotic unsubstantiated claims. Having 3 iPads of varying vintages within my immediate family, I can already tell you you're talking through your head about implied "connections"..... that's before I include all the iPads I know about through work.

iPads, iPhones, and indeed all Apple equipment is very reliable and well worth the investment (I, for example, am composing this post on a 2009 MacBook Pro with which I have had zero issues despite having dropped it on multiple occasions and not exactly treating it like a baby).

Ancient Observer
27th Mar 2013, 13:06
Er, Mixture, 8 minutes. That's impressive.

Normally, I bow to your excellent and helpful knowledge.

As you have not had the failures, you will not be as familiar with the gazillions of complaints about ipads (specifically, ipad 2 i think they are called), and 6.0.
I am all too familiar with them. It's not just me.......

ExXB
27th Mar 2013, 16:24
In the EU retailers are bound by a two year warranty. This article (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html) may help decode when it may apply to you.

Apple has been fined in Italy for selling their 'apple-care' extension warranty without advising potential purchasers that, in some cases, they are covered by EU law.

Groundbased
28th Mar 2013, 07:23
Morning all,

I have an iphone 4 on which I use gmail as an exchange account, meaning contacts get synced from gmail to phone.

Extolling the virtues of this setup I got Mrs GB an iphone 4s and attempted to set up the same configuration. Can I get the dam thing to work? I can not.

The exchange set up works fine, the account is verified and using the same settings on the gmail version mail is received. However I simply get a password not recognised message every time I try to use the exchange set up.

Having extensively googled I have done the following to no effect:

Switched off two stage verification in gmail
Switched it back on and used the app specific password generated by gmail
Switched it back off again
Hard reboot
Updated the OS to 6.1.3 (the same as on my iphone 4)
Fiddled around with the fetch/push/number of days mails settings
Done the Captcha unlock thing on gmail

Can anyone help atall?

mcdhu
7th Apr 2013, 15:28
Can anyone help with this one please?

Safari (Version 6.0.3) on my iMac (OSX 10.8.3) is driving me mad with "cannot find the sever". It's not the wifi which speedchecks fine. Strangely enough it also affects Firefox - but to a lesser degree! It happened recently during a banking transaction which was a bit worrying. Google has not really been of any assistance.

Any suggestions at a fairly basic level would be gratefully received.

mcdhu

Old Speckled Aircrew
8th Apr 2013, 11:50
mcdhu

Try System Preferences/Network/Advance/TCPIP/Renew DHCP Lease

MacAshop
8th Apr 2013, 11:54
Hi Mcdhu,

Just try to refresh the network connection by deleting the Connected Network ex. WiFi and adding it back by pressing (+) sign with the same WiFi. Let us see if the issue resolves by this.

MacAshop

mcdhu
9th Apr 2013, 08:38
Thank you gents.

Old Speckled Aircrew - have renewed the DHCP Lease (whatever that is) and on first look, Safari appears to be better but Firefox is still doing it.

MacAshop - please could you give me a few more details as to how I go about it. Is that via a right click on the wifi icon and Network Preferences?

Thanks again for the assistance. One of the reasons I went for Apple is that folks said "it just works" - and it used to!

Cheers,
mcdhu

LowNSlow
22nd Apr 2013, 08:07
I've been given a WI-FI only iPad mini for my birthday and I'd assumed (apparently foolishly) that I could use Bluetooth to link to my iPhone 4S to get GPS data to drive SkyDemon.

It now appears that they will not Bluetooth link and when I try to do it they don't even see the same devices.

A secondary problem is that my wife's iPhone 4 will Bluetooth to my Merc but won't connect to her Lexus and the reverse is true of my iPhone 4S

Can somebody help me out here or is it impossible to link the mini and the phone as my delight at the connectivity of Apple products is disappearing rapidly?

mixture
22nd Apr 2013, 09:01
A secondary problem is that my wife's iPhone 4 will Bluetooth to my Merc but won't connect to her Lexus and the reverse is true of my iPhone 4S

You need to moan at the car manufacturers about this, nothing to do with Apple.

Denti
22nd Apr 2013, 15:20
Never tried to get a connection for the gps thingy, however i could link my ipad to my iphone to use the phones dataconnection. Worked only once i switched on the personal hotspot thing on my iphone though, before that they couldn't see each other. First switched on the hotsport on my iphone, switched on bluetooth, then went to my ipad and the bluetooth settings, switched it on and once it saw the iphone i could pair them.

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Apr 2013, 17:19
Clever me has managed to wipe my Skype password off my OS 10.6.8 MacBook Pro. I didn't do anything different than normal, whereby it starts up with the my username and password already filled in and voila! it works with it's usual Skype noise. However now both boxes are empty, although my username is available in the drop down menu on the start box. I've tried to have a mooch around the keychains with no real success and Skype's help page is unhelpful as it was some years ago that I logged in and the email address is unknown, at least to the conscious part of my mind :8 Any ideas chaps ?

SHJ

Sunnyjohn
23rd Apr 2013, 22:08
Trash Skype then download it again and give yourself a new username and password.

le Pingouin
24th Apr 2013, 04:52
You could try a search of your mail for "skype"......

SpringHeeledJack
24th Apr 2013, 14:17
Thanks gents, I've searched all the possible email accounts and Skype only comes up twice, though not to do with logging in and passwords. When I typed the various email addresses into the Skype new password generator, it simply says no! :hmm: I have managed to sign in on an old laptop where the password is automatically written (but security screened). I thought that I might be able to 'see' the password by playing around with the Skype preferences, but no luck so far.

If I deleted the Skype on my newer laptop and transferred over the one from the older laptop would the login information remain intact and solve my problem perhaps ? I'd hate to have to set up a new account unless it seems all avenues are closed.

SHJ

Sunnyjohn
24th Apr 2013, 17:28
If I deleted the Skype on my newer laptop and transferred over the one from the older laptop would the login information remain intact and solve my problem perhaps ? I'd hate to have to set up a new account unless it seems all avenues are closed. It should do. That's exactly what I did when I bought my second Mac and it has worked fine.

Finbarr
27th Apr 2013, 13:45
I log into pprune on a variety of computers via Chrome and even IE, and my login is always remembered. Except when I log in via Chrome on my iPad - I have to re-log in every time. There must be a simple setting change to avoid this?

Prazum
27th Apr 2013, 19:48
Yup, use safari