PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Africa (2008 onwards) Part 2

Pages : 1 2 [3]

johnboyy2g
23rd Jan 2011, 13:47
I PMd a pilot on here, he said he went to Africa and said not to come, that all the jobs were being offered to expats only if they had 500tt or more. The reason he said is because by requiring 500 hrs the operators could say they could not find any native pilots who qualify, so the 500 hr was being used as justification to not hire a native, or at least not search forever to find one with low hours,so raise the hours and say there is no one native that qualifies.

I have PMd him twice asking for additional information like, which country. How long did he stay etc. but no response.:ugh:

Anyone weigh in on this, I am interested in Namibia myself...

Anyone, anyone?

gopher121
23rd Jan 2011, 21:20
how can we apply to ASKY? any email address? thanks

chennault2
6th Feb 2011, 22:49
I am interested in flying 206s (or other) in botwsana (or elsewhere in Africa). Can anyone give me the information on the changes to my FAA issued license that need to be made to be legal there. And possibly how to do it. I have comm S&M instrument land airplane and about 3000TT with 1000ME. Also, I am told that in order to get a job there you must go there No email resumes or a bunch of phone calls).

Any ideas on visits to make while there so I am not just showing up hoping to find aviation companies.

Any help is appreciated,

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Feb 2011, 04:17
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Lardbeast/repost.jpg

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/433420-maun-botswana-essential-guide.html

Eudi
8th Feb 2011, 11:36
Hello to everybody!

anybody knows if there is opportunitties for SF340 First officer?

I'm rated in SF340, A320, MEP,SEP, IR.
Total time 501 Hours.
Hours on type (Saab340) 298
Hours MEP: 50

Thanks

valKilmer3481
12th Feb 2011, 08:18
Hi there, am current on Beechjet 400 and LearJet 55 not current on the Lear 60.
Have experience in Kongo, Gabon, Cote d´Ivoire, Kenya >3600TT I look again for a GA-Job or Airline in Africa and/or all over the world.
Cheers
[email protected]
am sitting in Europe and am available now:ok:

soakingpilot
12th Feb 2011, 16:06
johnnyboy it looks like u need 500tt or plus or can kiss ass hardcore or know someone here in maun.

save your money and wait for some positive posts before you come out here.

and read the forums all the information you should need is in there plus this post.

lilflyboy262
13th Feb 2011, 11:11
Soaking, Please dont be bitter about your experience in Maun.
Not everyone can get a job here. The only ass kissing that happened was with one company. And I assume that was the one that you are most pissed about as you had the best chance there with them.

You have learnt a lot about this place. You have had a good time. Everyone knows you as a good guy. If you are serious about getting a job here. Then come back next year.
The government has stopped training mostwana as the cost is too high. So there will be more jobs to expats over the next few years.

More people got hired this year than last year.

darkroomsource
13th Feb 2011, 14:20
I'm sitting in Windhoek. Wondering if I should trek to Maun...
I do owe you a couple of beers...
What are the chances you'll get over this way in the next 3 months?

Wildpilot
15th Feb 2011, 03:52
For the record not everyone in Maun thinks you are a good guy as you have been winging on different threads now, get over it.

Its pathetic and shows what you are really like outside of the show you put on. This is aviation this sort of thing happens all the time and one day if you loose the bitterness no doubt you will get a job by the friend net work.

Some of the guys that do the hiring in Maun have read your moaning and are not impressed, I know because they are good friends. You are making it harder for yourself every time you make stupid immature coments on here.

ragdragger
15th Feb 2011, 11:04
I actually think it is good to hear that pilots are being hired in Maun these days based on experience and not just drinking skills. Not sure I believe it. And if I were a chief pilot I would hire a more experienced friend over a lower time candidate without a second thought. If it doesn't work out maybe get a CFI, build some time in the States and try again next year.

soakingpilot
15th Feb 2011, 14:39
no doubt rag you missed the point but ill leave it at that.

ragdragger
15th Feb 2011, 15:10
I just think anyone who gets bitter about not getting hired in Maun had unrealistic expectations going in. I mean c'mon. They get at least 4x more applicants than they have jobs for and most of them rock up with almost identical qualifications, hours etc. so there is no way that the selection process can be anything but arbitrary. Everyone wants advice on how to improve their chances, some people say having a CFI, or time on type, or more hours or whatever but anyone who has been through the process knows it isn't based on anything rational. So f*ck it, give it a shot, have some beers and hope for the best, if it doesn't work out at least feel lucky that the US has plenty of GA work compared to NZ or SA or europe so you have a few options at home. Good luck.

darkroomsource
16th Feb 2011, 05:31
feel lucky that the US has plenty of GA work

Now THAT'S FUNNY!

soakingpilot
16th Feb 2011, 12:09
Dont get me wrong its nice to see something new and fly somewhere else but the idea that there are allot of GA jobs in the states is complete Horse (*$@ :ugh:

lilflyboy262
16th Feb 2011, 12:11
Darkroom, continue reading what ragdragger just said. Compare that to SA or NZ.
NZ has a population of 4 mil, a tiny land area, and trains over 850 pilots a year. Try and get a job in that market.

Soaking, I'm very dissappointed in you. I give you some inside information via a certain person and you throw it back in her face. How serious are you in getting a job?

soakingpilot
16th Feb 2011, 12:24
inside scoop from who or what? sounds like a pm required.

tre sigh

darkroomsource
17th Feb 2011, 05:17
Darkroom, continue reading what ragdragger just said. Compare that to SA or NZ.
NZ has a population of 4 mil, a tiny land area, and trains over 850 pilots a year. Try and get a job in that market.

Not sure I was understood.
I said I thought it funny that someone would say theres a lot of GA WORK in the US. Sure, there's corporate, and that could be considered GA, but beyond that there's not really that much GA work in the US besides instructing. And that's doing very poorly at the moment.
I was not trying to say or imply anything about anywhere else, only that I found it funny to put GA and WORK together in one sentence.
The US does have a very large pilot workforce when compared to other countries, the results of a combined large land mass, large population, and large number of pilots who "fly for fun". When it comes to GA work, though, there's a very large number of pilots who "fly for fun" but have qualified for and obtained a commercial certificate, so whenever someone wants a plane ferried, for example, pilots come out of the woodwork for the opportunity to fly from A to B in a new plane for free (and without getting paid).
If what he had said was that there's a log of GA flying, that would be a different story, the US does have a huge amount of GA flying.
I guess my reaction, which was to laugh out loud, didn't quite come across in my post.
The last I saw, there are something like 60 000 pilots in the US, and something like 15 000 have a commercial, and 8 000 are working.
Noone knows how many of the remaining 7 000 are looking for work.

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Feb 2011, 06:39
The USA has a working infrastructure, making road, airline and rail transport relatively accessible and cheap. Doesn't leave a lot of room for relatively expensive GA in the charter and air taxi field. Generally Africa lacks that infrastructure which is where light aircraft GA comes into the picture. As DRS has mentioned, probably more opportunity for low timers out here than back in the USA.

ragdragger
17th Feb 2011, 07:22
It is true that Part 91 charter work doesn't really exist in the lower 48, but that isn't what I meant by GA work. What the US has a lot of is flight schools, so the easiest way to build time has always been and remains instructing. With only a comm certificate options are a lot more limited but you have traffic watch, sky diving, banner and glider towing, and photo survey jobs to give a few examples. I am in no way trying to say that these jobs are easy to find, but that thanks to cheap fuel and lack of user fees there is a lot more of this work in the States than in NZ, SA, Aus, or even Europe. The economy is bad, so even instructing jobs are getting tougher, but the economy is bad everywhere so you still have a much better shot back home than all those other pilots in Maun with funny accents.
And of course there is Alaska, which has a huge GA industry and lacks all of the infrastructure mentioned in the previous post. Companies there like 'Alaska time' but somehow everyone I know who has looked for work there has found some.
So as grim as things are, you can take some small consolation in knowing that all those other jobless pilots in Maun are probably even more screwed than you are.

darkroomsource
17th Feb 2011, 08:12
Things like banner towing, photo, pipeline and skydiving are all seasonal over most of the US, and amazingly sparse compared to the number of pilots. Instructing is the "normal" way to go, but I have issues with instructing, both from the idea that I don't really want to do that right now, and from the idea that a 250 pilot should not necessarily be instructing new pilots, but that he/she should have much more experience first. Just my opinion.
However I'm not in Africa because I want to build hours, I'm in Africa because I fell in love with the idea of flying in Africa just after I fell in love with flying, which was in 1981, thirty years ago. So for thirty years I've been "preparing" for this trip.
Again, when I saw "GA" and "work" in the same sentence I just couldn't help but laugh. It was not meant to impune people in Maun, and in fact has nothing to do with Maun. I'm not the bloke saying stuff about pilots in Maun. Nor am I saying anything about the way they hire there.
But I will now.

They can choose to hire whoever they want and in whatever manner they want. It's their company.
If you had that company you'd probably use the exact same criteria.
If you know a person, you would be better able to decide than if you don't know them.
If they won't stick around for more than a month, then why would you think they'd stick around after they're hired? (probably had more than one pilot say "it's too hot, I'm going back to Sweden")
If a pilot doesn't get along with everyone in the company BEFORE they're hired, how can you expect them to get along AFTER they're hired?
And on and on.
I'd even say that there are reasons for wanting pilots with less than 500 TT, without a CFI, less than 25 years old, but more than 21, and numerous other criteria, that appear to be random, but actually can find significant reason for implementation.

The fact that a person is bitter about not being hired, and expressing int in a public forum, should indicate that the person is not the kind of person one would want working in such an environment. What else would make them bitter if you'd hired them? the fact that they didn't get a raise in six months? or didn't get promoted to the Caravan in 12 months? or what?
Maybe someone in the organization with skill at reading people saw this before it manifested itself here.

Why to they want you to "hang out" and "buy them a beer"? How about because it's a small town, small companies, and you have to rely on each other. Have you pledged a fraternity? Most likely not, cuz you'd have to be at least 22 to have done University.
When you pledge a fraternity, they want to find out if you can live in the same house as the rest of the brothers. So they put you through tests that find out how you deal with different situations, looking for loyalty and trust. I think (emphasize the word think) that this is a similar process.

If you think your way is better, then get together the cash and start your own charter company.

aimtofly
17th Feb 2011, 14:54
I think the idea behind all this discussion is to help our fellow pilots. I am sure all of us mean well when expressing our opinions. GA is a broad term and when it comes to GA jobs, i would like to add that instruction is the way to go in US. I think its the only way to build time faster and also a way to get paid while learning how much u dont know after getting ur commercial at 250 hrs. I am currently instructing in US and m glad i chose to instruct. I am now close to 1000 hrs and comfortable with my skills and experience. I also have an opportunity to fly in africa(thanx to some of you guys) which i intend to take not just to get the experience and hours but because of my african roots. I suggest that if anyone gets an opportunity to instruct in US or anywhere for that matter, they should jump on it and not rush into bigger and better things as it could make u a safer pilot and make the transition easy. :ok:

Just an opinion!!!!

4runner
17th Feb 2011, 19:41
WELL PUT Aimtofly! And very true.

aimtofly
17th Feb 2011, 20:34
Thanx buddy... hope to see u soon..

Guru8904
18th Feb 2011, 09:52
The last I saw, there are something like 60 000 pilots in the US, and something like 15 000 have a commercial, and 8 000 are working.
Noone knows how many of the remaining 7 000 are looking for work.

DRS,

A recent study by Boeing revealed that out of the 60000, 37000 are going to retire between 2012 and 2017. I hope that gives hope.

cavortingcheetah
18th Feb 2011, 10:42
All the more reason for the aircraft manufacturers to hurry it up and get approval for single pilot automated cockpits. Once United States airports become automated the aircraft will only have to carry an ALP. That's an Automated Landing Pilot. The age limit will be lowered to sixteen to enable games whizz kids to qualify at what will effectively become an automated docking operator or ADO for short. Study kit for the necessary ratings will be available on the internet or through any major FAA website download facility.

darkroomsource
18th Feb 2011, 11:04
and the first blown tire on landing or take off will cause the deaths of 600 passengers...
That will be the end of fully automated flight.
But even though there have been numerous studies, and they have all shown that you can't automate something like driving - in TWO DIMENSIONS - they'll still try it and still have the failures.

Puppeteer
19th Feb 2011, 22:31
I'm still keeping an eye out for possibilities. What's the latest updates in Namibia? I guess the flight as left in Maun..

darkroomsource
20th Feb 2011, 04:42
Try the Namibia threads.

saywhat
20th Feb 2011, 04:47
cavortingcheetah, once again you are full of it and spreading untruths. No purser in their right mind would allow a young ADO any authority in her/his aircraft. ADO's will in effect have to be employed as cabin attendants, and operate as Automated undocking and docking agents (AUDO's) from within the a/c under the strict supervision of the purser. Poor performance would therefor be strictly controlled, and punishable by a reporting system.

davve
20th Feb 2011, 13:23
So I've been searching for a little while but can't seem to find any good sources for jobs in Africa.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm also wondering what countries in Africa I should avoid?

lilflyboy262
20th Feb 2011, 13:53
Saywhat.
I see that it is good that you havent lost your radar for wind ups, bull****, sarcasm or humour.

Where have all the people with common sense gone?

Edit: I have a feeling I may have put my foot in it there... Perhaps his humour is even more subtle than cavortings....

Larscho
20th Feb 2011, 14:53
I'm right here lilflyboy, don't worry. :8

darkroomsource
21st Feb 2011, 05:28
lil fly boy
you still looking for other work?
Any turbine time at all?

lilflyboy262
21st Feb 2011, 11:06
Always looking for work. If you have some inside info would be appreciated. Got a tiny bit of turbine time now with 1200hrs tt.

subbu73
23rd Feb 2011, 17:54
lilflyboy262 (http://www.pprune.org/members/296525-lilflyboy262) according to Darkroomsource as what I read, in Namibia it sounds quite scary for low time foreign pilots to have min 2000hrs TT. Is it the same situation at Maun? Actually I am quite serious about visiting Maun. Since you are at Maun you would be at better position to provide us with the current updates.

Puppeteer
25th Feb 2011, 09:14
Have anyone tried out Congo? I heard there are a few companies there hiring. They state that you have to apply in person though. However they don't state that you have to speak fluent French but I would assume that it's a requirement.

darkroomsource
28th Feb 2011, 12:28
BYOAK?
Bring your own AK47? Or is one supplied?

TheodoreK
28th Feb 2011, 19:03
hahaha nice comment ;) but i don't really care about that just i want to fly one airplane

johnz
3rd Mar 2011, 14:47
Funny That... I just came back from Congo...

Puppeteer
3rd Mar 2011, 14:57
Funny That... I just came back from Congo...

Really? What was it like? I'm really thinking about going..

darkroomsource
3rd Mar 2011, 14:57
You just came back from the Congo and.....

johnz
3rd Mar 2011, 15:56
Gents my apologies for not providing a complete description of Congo as I thought not many people would be interested in it… thus did not wanted to waste time and space…

I already emailed a reply but for some strange reason did not go through… so there goes 20min of writing… anyway here it is again…

I am not a pilot (not yet…) and thus My visit to Congo was for a business trip NOT related to the aviation industry…

1) The airport is as good as can be expected from an airport in Africa… lots of Russian planes as well as 737-100/200 series.
2) The place is supposed to be safe – everyone I spoke to stated that this is a safe place – now having said that I did not feel that safe… - I guess this is mainly because I did not stay there for too long. It has also something to do with the fact that it was too much of a cultural shock for a time period of a couple of days… so do take all the above into account…
3) The place is extremely expensive… well…unless you live in Japan or Moscow… so if your salary is not solid then my suggestion would be to think twice…
4) I did not see much life outside the Office… none at all… BUT that all depends what you want to do after work…
5) I had to get 8 vaccinations just for a short visit… Malaria is the number one killer in Africa… and Congo is the most dangerous place on the globe when it comes to that… so what does this mean…??? It means that after 6pm you have to start dodging mosquitoes and also keep your house/apartment extremely cold throughout the night… every night…
6) Malaria also means that you will have to take a pill everyday you are there to prevent Malaria… the people I spoke to, had stopped the pill after the first couple of months… so I suppose it is your choice, your life…

If you gents are interest, do get in contact with me (private email) and will send you all the pics I have from Congo…

I hope all the above hints were helpful…

Cheers

lilflyboy262
3rd Mar 2011, 20:33
Johnz, Just so you know, you can only take most malaria medicine for around 3 months before it starts to damage your kidneys (or is it liver?).
The best protection is mosquito repellant and long loose clothing, and the mosquito nets for the bedroom.

Pills like Doxicycline is great to have around as they are the treatment as well as the prevention medication. Soooo instead of using them as a preventative, take them when you suspect you have malaria and then get out of the country to the nearest 1st world hospital you can find.

For the guys that are thinking about hitting the congo... there are far more and safer countries around africa to try first before heading there.
Specially when you dont have much experience and looking for your first job.

cavortingcheetah
3rd Mar 2011, 21:00
Then there's the virus which causes Ebola Fever, for which there is no cure except a lingering squeaking death. And there's Congo Fever, spread by the bite of the Hyalomma tick. And there's Marburg Fever which usually fills your liver with blood until you desanguinate through body orifices and die in gore and agony. No cures there but there is one bright point on the sick list. It seems that it's generally believed that these nasty little viral fevers can be contracted through eating the flesh of a diseased person or animal. For that reason it's unlikely, after you're dead, that you'll be eaten by anything much except dung beetles and dogs. It's rumored that Congo is only a democratic republic because no one this side of a salami slicer from sanity would wish to be dictator there. It's further rumoured that it's believed that in that part of Africa, a strong man's strength passes to another upon the consumption of his testicles lightly sauteed in cassava juice and eaten, thus smeared and speared, as a Shishkebab.

Guru8904
3rd Mar 2011, 21:58
a strong man's strength passes to another upon the consumption of his testicles lightly sauteed in cassava juice and eaten, thus smeared and speared, as a Shishkebab.

cavortingcheetah (http://www.pprune.org/members/45053-cavortingcheetah),

Now that is what you a call a mouth watering recipe! you sure have taste, man!

johnz
4th Mar 2011, 03:16
Malarone is the best medicine to take... It is suggested to be taken everyday... no matter how long you stay...
I have spoken to guys that have been on it for 3 months and stopped and also to guys that have been on it for 2 years and stopped...
No one complained of any side effects...
There are a lot of nasty bugs down there...

Golf_Seirra
5th Mar 2011, 17:50
Malaria does not kill...not treating it kills. Know the symptoms and know how to treat it. Had malaria from three different west african countries ( note, small caps ).....still drinking fit.

Now African Whooping Cough is a killer...much like what you get when you get there after all the promises and you get your paycheck. That almost killed me a couple of times !

Best cure...a sense of laughter....;)

dondino
8th Mar 2011, 11:43
Good morning at all the pilots,
Im a 22 year old italian pilot.
I've just finished my frozen atpl and i have no more than 300 hours.
The hiring situation in europe is really bad at the moment and every day I understand that my future here is equal at 0.
Any chanche to know if in some other part as middle east africe ecc there is a chanche for a pilot with no hours?
I have no problem to fly for an airline or another commercial company!
thanks a lot to all and happy landings:ok:

springbok234
20th Mar 2011, 15:13
JAR (UK) CPL ME/IR + IRI (A)
SA CAA CPL ME/IR + GRD III Instructors Rating
BSc (HONS) in Airline Transport Operations

TT 660hrs
SEP 596 hrs (PA28, C150/172/172/172+G1000)
MEP 64hrs (BE-76, Seneca I, Seneca II/IIT)

P1 461 hrs
P2 199 hrs
SIM 191 hrs (including 60 hrs B737-200/400 NG for MCC/JOT)

Looking for (like everyone on here I guess!):

Contract, Charter, Scheduled, Air Safari, Bush, Air Taxi, Scenic, Film and Photographic flights, Instructing.

Currently doing B1900/BE200 combined rating and GRD II Instructors in Johannesburg. Companies and/or Private owners welcome.

PM me !