PDA

View Full Version : Disney World Comes to Flyglobespan

captjns
4th Jan 2008, 09:46
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/01/04/tourists-terror-as-holiday-jet-plunges-20-000ft-86908-20273661/

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/display.var.1941978.0.Emergency_landing_as_jets_engine_fails .php

Best part all is well.

Interesting read

Raving RHAG Muncher
4th Jan 2008, 09:56
So at which point did the aircraft plummet 20000' and just how did the passengers manage to ascertain that the aircraft was struggling to stay airborne?!?

Passenger aircraft shouldn't have windows down the back. It would cut the majority of the crap you read in the papers!

That said, they'd make up this nonsense to get a story regardless.

:ugh:

Donkey497
4th Jan 2008, 10:05
Ties in with another thread on the SLF section. Bear13583 was on the flight. Appears from his description that the Daily Record version's has had an application of some journalistic license. Can't seem to recall a row 13 on a GSM 757 either. The Scotsman version is a bit more balanced.

It's nice to see that the travelling public are so brainwashed by hollywood films that they automatically expect to be intimitely involved in a scene of carnage and assume that an aircraft will explode as soon as something goes wrong.

cjhants
4th Jan 2008, 10:56
well i`m glad the captain decided not to fly the atlantic on one engine, we had a long enough thread on the BA with one of four out.
dont know how they managed to plummet 20000 ft from 4000, without leaving a big hole in the ground. i suppose "pilot handled a well practised scenario, and landed safely without anybody getting hurt", was a bit too easy to write.

luvly jubbly
4th Jan 2008, 11:19
757s have no fuel dump facility. Record Journo's should be arrested for writing lies like this.
TD should sue for this poor piece of journalism / libel. The Herald seems to have been better informed.

Unfortunately for GSM, The Record's target readership are GSM's target pax.
GSM used to advertise daily in this rag.....I wonder if they don't now, as I can't imagine any newspapers slating their advertisers like this??

Ancient Mariner
4th Jan 2008, 11:25
Interesting comments from "professionals"? I don't know how many of you have been on a twin when one of the engines decided to shred a few blades. I have, on a SAS B767 PEK-CPH and trust me, it's no fun. The vibrations created by the imbalance are incredible. I heard the bang, but the extreme vibrations led me to believe that a major part of the fuselage or wing was flapping in the wind. After the engine power was reduced to idle the vibrations were reduced, but still uncomfortable.
By all means, please continue to look down at SLF and journalists, you seem to agree more on that subject than de-icing. I just wish I had some of you guys on one of my ships during a winter North-Atlantic crossing. I would love to read your post-crossing diary.
Per

ISO100
4th Jan 2008, 11:29
757s have no fuel dump facility. Record Journo's should be arrested for writing lies like this.
TD should sue for this poor piece of journalism / libel. The Herald seems to have been better informed.

"The pilot felt he could not fly the Atlantic with that so he circled for a while, radioed that he was heading back to Sanford and dumped some fuel and landed. It was a precautionary landing." -- The Herald

This is a direct quote from a Globespan spokesperson - or so it seems.

rubik101
4th Jan 2008, 11:31
That Record piece has to be a wind up. The woman is having a piss take, surely? Even a moron doesn't make up that much crap, does she?
Ah, it's Scottish: that explains it. She went to the same school as Gordon Brown.

Danny
4th Jan 2008, 11:37
Oh come on! Give it a break. We all know how dramatic some journalists can be and we always end up with threads like this, stating the "bleedin' obvious".

Just contrast the two articles linked to in the first post and you can see which one is realistic and which one has been written up by a lesser cousin of a Baboon. ( Apologies to Baboons).

FlyGlobespan B757 has engine surge after take off. Crew decide to return to Sanford and circle for several hours to burn off fuel. Uneventful landing and orderly disembarkation of pax. End of story.

If you want to have the usual pigfest of crap journalistic standards then please go to Jet Blast forum. :=

ajamieson
4th Jan 2008, 12:43
Ah, it's Scottish: that explains it. She went to the same school as Gordon Brown.
I'm all for humour but please tell me it is not acceptable to post comments like this :(

WHBM
4th Jan 2008, 12:45
Alas, I was at university with Paw Broon :)

MIKECR
4th Jan 2008, 12:49
Perhaps this ones been done before, but I believe this is the system that journalists use for any flying related incident - http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html

DartHerald
4th Jan 2008, 14:43
Well said AM.

There are some extremely arrogant people on this site who again fail to understand how it may have been for some of the pax on this flight in this incident and are more interested in trying to belittle those involved.

I would hope that the suggestion "Passenger aircraft shouldn't have windows down the back. It would cut the majority of the crap you read in the papers!" is not a serious attempt at debate.

Yes - we all know that many journos want to sensationalise and are often inaccurate but this happens in many other fields of industry where they are certainly not expert. Similarly many passengers know little or nothing of how an aeroplane works and certainly will not have a clue in such circumstances.

However I would like to see how the family and friends of some of our intrepid posters would react if something similar happened to them. Such an incident can be VERY alarming and people shouldn't be too quick to shoot SLF down in flames just because with the benefit of inside knowledge and hindsight they 'know' all turns out well. When an engine behaves like that and you are sitting next to it as a nervous flyer then see how you feel.

Bus429
4th Jan 2008, 14:56
See, Danny, this is what I referred to in my post on "PPRuNe sold" thread in Jet Blast. A reasonable post has turned into a slagging match.:ugh:

I've written to the Daily Record to correct their notions of ETOPS (not just over water) and the fact that the 757 cannot dump fuel (I've worked on them for years so I should know).

allanmack
4th Jan 2008, 14:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubik101
"Ah, it's Scottish: that explains it. She went to the same school as Gordon Brown"
And your point is Rubik?:=

Shiny side down
4th Jan 2008, 15:44
Having reviewed the report over breakfast this morning, we noted that in fact the DailyRecord included 2 correct statements.

They are the dailyrecord
It is the 4th January 2008 (at time of reading.)
So well done them!

All else is the substance of a cheap made-for-tv-movie script.

theredbarron
4th Jan 2008, 16:07
For the benefit of any non-Scots reading this thread, this standard of journalism is par for the course for the Daily Record, where mis-reporting and gross exageration is the norm - we Scots take it all with a pinch of salt. It is unfortunate though that this sort of article makes it appear that the airline is somehow at fault and probably deters nervous potential new passengers. And this at a time when GSM need all the good press that they can get.

However, it is fair to say that your average SLF with no knowledge of aircraft ops, far less about the implications of an engine surge, is going to crap himself if he hears a bang and sees a spurt of flame where there shouldn't be any. And I suspect that even the best flight crew in the business are going to find it difficult to communicate a calming message to all of them. Between the incident and landing, and then the SLF being interviewed by the press, their imaginations will have probably had time to remember seeing the wing almost fall off..............

anotherthing
4th Jan 2008, 17:24
I went to the bother of registering with the Daily Record site, so that I could post a 'readers comment'.

I asked why the headline did not tally with the report vis a vis the 20,000Ft plunge when in the report it stated that the aircraft (to paraphrase) 'could not climb or accelerate after the incident, which happened at around 4000Ft''.

Funny old thing, the comment has not been added to the web-site, yet a comment from someone who obviously does not have much to do with aviation was (in big green text as well, I might add!)

The Daily Record is at the end of the day, a newspaper in the same mould as the Sun and the Star :ugh:

TheOddOne
4th Jan 2008, 18:03
The Daily Record is at the end of the day, a newspaper in the same mould as the Sun and the Star

That's giving mould a bad name. If I was mould (even the green & slimy type) I'd sue!

TheOddOne

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Jan 2008, 18:27
Huh, What else can be said about these 'Lowlife Journos'

Im sure they missed out = GSM 757 crashes through the gates to Disneyland.:ugh::rolleyes:

GSM 757 then made a crash landing......:bored::zzz:

As I have said before only the Terminally Stupid ever read or buy these
so - called papers.:8

I would presume Fleet Street is 'crash proof' then:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Two's in
4th Jan 2008, 19:06
Just as I wouldn't expect to reach for a copy of the Pilots Operating Handbook for salacious tales of high altitude antics in row 27, neither would I reach for a copy of The Daily Record should I need to consult reference data regarding the safe operation of an aircraft.

Methinks you set your expectations too high when reading the gutter press, and thus are doomed to a world of crushing disappointment everytime some would-be Clark Kent miscounts the stator vanes on an engine, or confuses Millibars with Hectopascals.

machone
4th Jan 2008, 19:13
Remember that a newspaper is used for many things, wrapping the fish n chips in, wrapping other nasty things in and always in an emergency cut into 4" x 4" squares in the place of "andrex" :D:D:D

constable dean
4th Jan 2008, 19:43
well said:D

lomapaseo
4th Jan 2008, 19:52
I love it:ok:

A few words puts a perspective on an unending thread:D

Dan Air 87
4th Jan 2008, 19:54
This has to be the worst ever piece of hatchet journalism I have ever read. But then you realise its written in the comic called the Daily Record and its gutter press at its very worst.
I hope that GSM will refuse to have anything more to do with this useless rag. I would not use this rag to wrap chips in but it is a useful alternative to a sick bag!

Nicholas49
4th Jan 2008, 23:24
This is a shocking piece of journalism.

But I do wonder: if this kind of incident ever happens to you guys, will you symphathise with the passengers, reassure them and EXPLAIN the situation so that they don't give these ridiculous quotes to the press (if they're actually true), or will you just ignore them because you know best and, well, they probably wouldn't understand anyway?

If you want to improve the media's understanding of aviation issues, you have to engage, not hurl abuse.

Just a thought.

mikeyuk
5th Jan 2008, 13:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk4sHB0_BNI

Donkey497
5th Jan 2008, 14:48
Somewhat more even handed presentation from CNBC than the "Daily Rangers", stating that there was no serious damage to the plane, even although there was some engine flaming and even explaining the need to circle to burn off fuel. Short, informative, factual and non-sensational. Just what a report should be.

luvly jubbly
6th Jan 2008, 08:28
http://forums.dailyrecord.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=919

I think "The Record" being put straight by the GSM pax involved should just about finish this thread off.

LJ

OutOfRunWay
7th Jan 2008, 09:45
Passangers of TransPond airlines were subjected to a horrific ordeal yesterday as what was supposed to be the end of a beautiful vacation turned into abject terror.

"Even starting out was terrible" said 40 year old E.W. Ponce. "I could see Passengers being thrown back into their seats as the plane accelerated wildly on the runway at barbados"

Pilots wrenched the Boink 888 off the runway into an unsteady wavering climb as they struggled to get the landing gear up in a desperate attempt to get to a height where they would no longer be in danger of hitting the ground immediately.

Mrs W. Tannoy (55) said "It was terrible. We were scared for 8 hours. We were all locked in this metal tube where it was dark and cold. The Crew members wouldnt let anyone out. I saw people reading the Bible. A small child in the row behind me wouldnt stop crying, it was so bored. They even served me red wine with my fish"

The horrible ordeal was however far from over. At the end of the terrible hours of unsteady flying over the ocean where waves could be seen crashing into each other, real hell began.

The aircraft plunged wildly from over 36000 feet down to less than 2000 feet.

"It was gut-wrenching", said Mr F. Pukey (80) who was travelling with his Wife and his Son, who had his own wife and three year old baby with him. "We could see the surface of the ocean get closer and closer, We all held hands, and my wife tried to comfort the baby"

The plane full of holiday makers smashed into the Runway at Gatwick, and although luckily noone was injured, all passengers were seriously shocked.

"I could see the runway rush by at a terrific rate" said Mr Pukey "I could feel the wheels thump down. I saw other Passengers grip theis seats armrests in terror. I could see the back of the engines actually move, i thought they were about to fall off"

The aircraft careerd down the runway as the pilots desperately reversed the engines in an attempt to stop the plane in time. The plane was then forced to leave the runway by a taxiway and thread its way to the terminal where the relieved passengers were finally allowed to get off.

"Ill never fly again" said Mrs E. Fearsomm "They should be ashamed of themselves. When we were down, I saw these People just stand around the Plane as if nothing had happened. They all wore uniform, but they didnt help us."

Staff from TransPond airlines refused to comment on this terrible Event. Secret sources report however, that the Pilot of the catastrophe-plane was overheard to comment to other crew members "Huh? what reporter, What flight? That Flight? Nothing happened on that flight."

Clearly the Airline and Pilots have no interest whatsoever in what passengers had to go through on this shocking journey.

I should apply for a job as reporter..

Boss Cat
7th Jan 2008, 10:11
Cannot understand why he has to circle for 2 hours to burn off Fulel! Only one engine left, should be "Mayday" and on the ground a.s.a.p...thats what the Airbus ECAM would recommend! We practise it on every simulator check: Engine FailL: Mayday: Overweight Landing: End of Drama...........:sad:

iain8867
7th Jan 2008, 14:57
Love it, I think I was crew on that flight tho'

:):D:hmm::D:)

courtney
7th Jan 2008, 15:24
Not always Boss Cat, incident some years ago when a twin in Canada lost an engine, made for the nearest airfiled, couldn't get in couldn't go around either, crashed, killed all on board and still had three hours single engine endurance. An engine failure in a 75 is no cause for hasty action, they can go for three hours plus on ETOPS.

gatbusdriver
7th Jan 2008, 16:16
Read your QRH courtney

merlinxx
7th Jan 2008, 16:42
Hey crikey, you are sooo in touch with airplanes and stuff.

Seriously, the style you used is indicative of what we all in this business have to put up with from this bunch of NUMPTY :mad: through our working lives.

I wouldn't say they talk or write like some, but I do assert their gums bleed every 28 days!!!!!!!

Rant over, another glass of good Scottish single malt.

abra
7th Jan 2008, 17:01
I'm not sure if what's good for an Airbus would necessarily be good for a 757.Globespan's 757(if they still have only the one) has RB211-E4 engines and if one of those surges,Boeing/Rolls Royce suggest pulling back the thrust lever in the hope the engine comes out of the surge regime and can be operated at reduced power.
Many airlines suggest an overweight landing should be avoided if at all possible.Going around the hold on one and a half (or even one) engines until below MLW and then carrying out a single engine configured approach and landing,ie at a reduced flap setting so a go around could be more easily accomplished,would seem to me to be the ideal solution.
But surely what we should all learn from this is that a timely,loud and clear PA,explaining what has happened, in easy to understand non-dramatic layman's language,checking with the CC it could be heard clearly in the cabin,is equaly as important as the QRH and CRM. A surging engine,particularly at night,can be frightening things for everyone aboard.IMHO good communication can draw the sting of these situations and if you do it right,the passengers will tell you.

asuweb
8th Jan 2008, 15:32
abra, absolutely, but it still won't stop certain papers (I won't call them newspapers) from creating absolute fiction from the facts.

Bomber Harris
9th Jan 2008, 08:18
when i clicked on the original link in, the first post, to the daily record story, i was amused to see that the article was surrounded by several easyjet adverts :)

I used to work for a flag carrier that would screen newspapers before loading them to aircraft to make sure there were no airscare stories in them, they were that concerned about passenger well being.

I wonder would the easy marketing department expect readers to finish reading an airscare story then completly switch off and say "hay..we can travel to barcelona for £39...lets book". I wonder would they be happy with the media company who sold them the advertising space if they knew?

Boss Cat
9th Jan 2008, 13:15
Flown the 757 as well, and lsot count of ETOPs sectors. Still better to be on the ground. 757 has ample climb gradient even overweight on one eng...........QED

gkn
9th Jan 2008, 13:27
qw21341asdw2qeqassassd asdas zxczxc a

LHR_777
9th Jan 2008, 13:51
MIKECR:
Perhaps this ones been done before, but I believe this is the system that journalists use for any flying related incident - http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html

...and the result of that is this -

Flight Goes Horribly Wrong

Adelaide passengers told of their scared panicked dread aboard a Foreign bound Qantas flight which was advised it was in the best interests of the plane to return to Adelaide yesterday due to running out of Everybody Loves Raymond episodes.

Some passengers were vexed that the 943 passengers were told few details of the tragedy.

They said the plane 'Seemed normal, but everyone knew it was posessed by the Devil' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Boeing 340 landed.

Passenger Bruce Goatman last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'It's a good thing I was wearing the brown underwear', the passenger said.

SwissportSFB
9th Jan 2008, 20:38
I was working that night and the captain did declare "mayday" with atc, but decided to burn off fuel before landing...I have seen this a few times in SFB on the 747 classics. Also may I ad that the rumor is that the 757 that is still here will remain here until sometime around March:(

jethro15
9th Jan 2008, 21:58
Also may I ad that the rumor is that the 757 that is still here will remain here until sometime around March.
That ties in with my original info of the a/c being parked up somewhere from early Jan until Mar. However, due to maintenance issues with the B736 fleet I understood that the plan may have been to use the 757 as back-up a/c. Can anyone now confirm that due to the current problems with this a/c, GSM are now looking at ways to dispose of the a/c completely?

jethro
UK and Ireland Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.dwsitech.com

12th Jan 2008, 10:00
If GSM are to dispose of that a/c they wouldn't have an aircraft to operate the Toronto Hamilton services from the uk during the summer ! I take it then GSM are using there 737-800 planes on the orlando services for now seen as how all there 767's are off on lease !

mm0wkj
13th Jan 2008, 15:02
So does anyone know what the situation is with GSM pulling the 767 they leased to Santa Barbara back to Sanford to do the SFB-GLA flight yesterday?.

GSM are claiming they are trying to source a replacement 757 for the the A/C currently in Sanford as they are sick of it falling over and want to replace it but nothing is confirmed. They are also doing a voluntary retraction of ETOPS until the situation is resolved.

Anyone got more info????????