PDA

View Full Version : G registered a/c by FAA licence

Sam Rutherford
27th Nov 2007, 18:05
I know this must have been covered a million times, but PPRUNE won't let me search with any word less than 4 letters (er FAA, JAA etc.). This makes my search a little difficult, so...

Looking for confirmation of the 2 out of 3 rule, ie the following are all okay:

CAA licence, in UK, N registered a/c
CAA licence, in US, N registered a/c
FAA licence, in UK, G registered a/c

Is it this simple? Sam.

Contacttower
27th Nov 2007, 18:53

You have to have your JAA PPL validated by the FAA, but once that's done you're OK to fly N reg in the US.

I actually asked the CAA about this and they said OK, but it would be VFR only.

On the Spot
27th Nov 2007, 19:40
is OK abroad too. AT least in JAA Land if not ICAO countries.

IO540
27th Nov 2007, 21:30
There is no "2 out of 3 rule" - it's a myth of airport bars.

CAA licence, in UK, N registered a/c
OK - reference: FAR 61.3

Not OK - ref as above, an N-reg must be flown under a license issued by the country of the airspace, or by the FAA

OK - reference UK ANO article 26 - a G-reg can be flown worldwide, OCAS, on any ICAO PPL.

hmd
9th Dec 2007, 20:18
just found this thread...I understood that if your license doe not match the reg of the A/C (ie FAA & N reg OR G Reg & CAA) you would have to get consent from countries you visit. So FAA in G reg needs consent to fly in France?
hmd

IO540
9th Dec 2007, 20:52
if your license doe not match the reg of the A/C (ie FAA & N reg OR G Reg & CAA) you would have to get consent from countries you visit

No. The airspace is not a lot to do with it.

The authority that determines what privileges (if any) a given license gives you on an aircraft is the "CAA" for the country of the aircraft registry.

So, on a G-reg, it is up to the CAA. The current ANO automatically validates all ICAO PPLs for a G-reg and this is good worldwide.

I don't think any other European country does this automatic validation for their own aircraft, and for such aircraft you have to get the non-matching license validated, e.g. by the French DGAC if flying an F-reg.

hmd
9th Dec 2007, 21:20
So an FAA licensed pilot in a G reg can fly worldwide because his license is issued by an ICAO state. BUT he can't excersie the privelidges of his IR in controlled airspace in the UK......what about IFR in other countries.

Fuji Abound
9th Dec 2007, 21:28
I wonder how this will change with EASA and a single state?

BillieBob
10th Dec 2007, 07:02
Under EASA it will not be legal to fly any aircraft registered in an EU member state without holding the appropriate licence issued in accordance with EASA Part FCL. That is written into the covering Regulation to the Implementing Rules on Pilot Licensing.

Whopity
10th Dec 2007, 18:06
So an FAA licensed pilot in a G reg can fly worldwide because his license is issued by an ICAO state. BUT he can't excersie the privelidges of his IR in controlled airspace in the UK......what about IFR in other countries.The Rule that allows you to do it, and places the limitations on its use (Art 26) relate to the operation of the aircraft and not where its flying, so you can't fly in controlled airspace in IFR anywhere if exercising the privileges of an ICAO licence.