PDA

View Full Version : Tail dragger rating in US

Sam Rutherford
27th Nov 2007, 16:03
I have a JAA licence (with FAA validation). Can I do a tail dragger course in Florida, and have it accepted as a rating on my JAA licence?

Sam.

S-Works
27th Nov 2007, 17:20
Tailwheel is differences training not a rating and as long as you get an Instructor to endorse your log book will be acceptable.

Contacttower
27th Nov 2007, 17:24
bose on that topic...if I have a retractable endorsement from a US instructor does that mean I'm OK to fly retractables in this country?

englishal
27th Nov 2007, 23:22
Yes...any FAA ratings and endorsements carry over...So if you have complex and high performance endorsements, then you can fly "complex" and high performance aeroplanes in G land. Same goes for tail dragger endorsement, ME RATING, etc....

NB: The RATINGS only carry across while the FAA ticket is valid...so if you let it lapse then they lapse too as you are using your FAA privileges without formality in a G reg - it is all in the ANO...

S-Works
28th Nov 2007, 09:01
Al is correct for everything except the ME rating. All differences training is just a log book endorsement. I have some funky little stickers that I put in the students log book to sign off the various differences, in FAA land it is just a signature and comment in the logbook but same end result.

The ME training will carry over but you are required to sit a flight test to get it added to a UK/JAA licence as it is a Class Rating not differences training.

Al, you also need to re read the question, the poster has a JAA licence with a based on FAA licence and wants to get some differences training and want's to know if it can be applied to his JAA licence.

JohnV85
28th Nov 2007, 21:34
Along somewhat similar lines to this topic I am considering doing an aerobatic course in the US, part of which will be a tailwheel endorsement.

Speaking to the operator they tell me that this will be an FAA tailwheel endorsement.

What issues does this present as I will have a JAA PPL (in the post currently)?

I would be grateful for any advice.

englishal
28th Nov 2007, 23:04
The ME training will carry over but you are required to sit a flight test to get it added to a UK/JAA licence as it is a Class Rating not differences training.

Al, you also need to re read the question, the poster has a JAA licence with a based on FAA licence and wants to get some differences training and want's to know if it can be applied to his JAA licence.
I was posting the second bit for the benefit of other readers, as there seems to always be confusion between RATINGS and ENDORSEMENTS;)

As an example, I have no JAA MEP rating on my JAA PPL, but I can still fly MEPs in the UK thanks to my FAA ME(note: no P) rating. So in effect it does carry over, especially if the FAA Cert is based upon a JAA cert....

S-Works
29th Nov 2007, 07:09
Ah I see you decided to go off on a tangent rather than answering the original question which was asking if he could add it to his JAA licence.

Now I see.....
:p

A and C
29th Nov 2007, 07:31
Why not support the home industry?

If you look at all the costs it is cheaper to fly in the UK.

Shunter
29th Nov 2007, 07:34
Unless you happen to be in the USA on other business already... I'm there for geek-related business in January and plan on squeezing an MEP in whilst I'm there - will save me a fortune!

A and C
29th Nov 2007, 07:43
Yes I did that when I was in the USA on business but the first company that I had pre-booked from the UK failed to come up with the goods and then the next company that I booked did the same thing!

Time was getting tight by the time I found company number three, they did a great job but at about 30% above the costs that the adverts in the UK flying raggs stated.

May be I was unlucky but the USA is not always as good as some would have us think.

BackPacker
29th Nov 2007, 09:07
Unless you happen to be in the USA on other business already... I'm there for geek-related business in January and plan on squeezing an MEP in whilst I'm there - will save me a fortune!

Just remember that getting a class rating (like the MEP is) requires TSA clearance and an M-1 visa, plus some other minor bureaucratic stuff.

Differences training like a tailwheel endorsement, to the best of my knowledge do not require TSA or M-1, as long as what you do stays within the SEP(A) class.

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/ - Scroll down to where the background becomes grey.

JohnV85
29th Nov 2007, 12:00
Along somewhat similar lines to this topic I am considering doing an aerobatic course in the US, part of which will be a tailwheel endorsement.

Speaking to the operator they tell me that this will be an FAA tailwheel endorsement.

What issues does this present as I will have a JAA PPL (in the post currently)?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Any advice?

BackPacker
29th Nov 2007, 12:09
All that is required, AFAIK, for a JAA PPL tailwheel endorsement is differences training from a "suitably qualified instructor". I don't think the regulations specify that this has to be a JAA instructor. So if an FAA tailwheel instructor signs your logbook with words to the effect that you've had your differences training and are qualified to a suitable standard, you should be fine. But as always LASORS is your true friend.

englishal
29th Nov 2007, 13:33
Ah I see you decided to go off on a tangent rather than answering the original question which was asking if he could add it to his JAA licence.
Nope ;) The question was regarding a "tail dragger rating". No such rating exists, it is an ENDORSEMENT. So what I was doing was showint that RATINGS can be used with a JAA licence with some previsos though.... and so can endorsements ;)

Are you still mad at me about the IR thing ;):}

Regarding training in the USA.....(because someone else brought it up). Why on earth would one pay £300+ VAT per hour PLUS £50 per hour instruction to get a ME rating in the UK when for $265 per hour all in you can get one in the USA? I am genuinely interested, I like to support things in the UK up to a point................The saving of nearly £3000 would pay for a first class ticket to the USA as well as a nice hilton somewhere.....

SNS3Guppy
29th Nov 2007, 16:49
If it's got a tailwheel, it's not a taildragger. It's conventional gear.