PDA

View Full Version : Harvs Air

Scoobster
19th Nov 2007, 18:53
Hi folks,

I have shortlisted Harv's Air as one of the potential schools where I can train for my PPL.

Having searched for Harvs Air, there doesn't seem to be recent feedback regarding the school and experiences of training there.

As I am from the UK, I would also need Accommodation and the facilities at the school seem to be abve par.

Would Steinbach (uncontrolled) be the best for training for a PPL or St. Andrews (controlled)?

I was thinking of going around May - July. Is 4 weeks for a PPL realistic?

Also, I am after the usual feedback, quality of training, what the instructors are like, can I do groundschool in the UK before leaving for Canada, fleet etc?

The only aspect which I am having a logistical issue is how to 'surprise visit the school' before starting my training??

I mean Canada is thousands of miles away!

Any tips?

Good school?

Cheers

I am also considering Moncton and ProIFR.

Scoobster
20th Nov 2007, 11:59
35 views and not one reply??! :ugh:

Surely someone must have some recent information about the school and what it is like?!

Would appreciate the info...

t bay ca
20th Nov 2007, 15:13
Have you checked out Winnipeg Flying Club out at St Andrews? www.wfc.mb.ca (http://www.wfc.mb.ca)

Scoobster
21st Nov 2007, 10:10
I haven't checked them out yet and I will do so..

I will try and choose some FTOs near the Winnipeg region as a contingency in case Harv's Air turns out to be a flop, or take a West Jet flight to Moncton, ProIFR..

Engine Noise
21st Nov 2007, 23:25
u should be a ble to get more response from
www.avcanada.ca

zegg
24th Nov 2007, 05:55
Used Harv's Air for a number of my ratings. Good organization especially for helping out non-Canadian pilots. Lots of experience in that department.

If all you're going to do is eat, sleep and fly. Then Steinbach is fine. If you're going to occasionally make use of a real city, then it would be better to do it at their St Andrews location.

As for the Winnipeg Flying club... It went under. I understand its re-constituting itself, but not a real option in my opinion. In fact Harv Air's facilities are the old WFC ones' They purchased them when they went under.

Check out their site, and give them an email/call to discuss getting a PPL in 4 weeks. I think if you have the ground school done when you show up, you can do it D/L, then the flying should be straight forward. Flying weather is usually always good, albeit cold in winter. But with the long summer days, any thunderstorms should only cause minor delays.

I would say go for it. They are a trustworthy school. Its a family school that was started by their father (Harv) who has more or less withdrawn from the running of it. Their expansion over the last couple of decades has been very measured, so I would say their stabiblity is good. So do not worry.

Hope this helps,

Dan Zegarac.

cedarman
24th Nov 2007, 22:22
If you can do your ppl at home do it. The best spot to do your multi ifr is perimeter, many options to follow. If you have to do your private and commercial I would personally stay away from Harvs. try winnipeg aviation. Why stay away from harvs, well after being involved in one form or another with all flying clubs in the winnipeg area, Harvs is by far (i am not joking) the least professional of them all.
I wont elaborate but there are many reasons. They are trying to do too much without the right guidelines. Just my opinion though. Crappy old seneca as well.

I have already said it once, but Perimeter is by far your best choice for multi-ifr. Even if you do your private and commercial somewhere else.

Do not go to harvs,

Now saying that they do offer a viable option for people coming in from out of country, they are set up quite well for room and board.

Last but not least stay away, from harvs, I know its been said but they are not up to par with what is available out there. pm me if you like
good luck. :ok:

FL470
25th Nov 2007, 10:43
Did my multi IFR at Perimeter too. Nice airplanes (for me as a European even cheap) and excellent instructors. It's worth a consideration!

Mr. North
25th Nov 2007, 20:19
If all you have planned to do is your PPL, then there is nothing wrong with Harv's. Despite what Cedarman has to say, I found them to be very professional. At least half of their business is dedicated towards foreign students from India and the EU. Through my own experience with them and through my friends working there as instructors I must say they do a tremendous job of getting people on their way.

They have plenty of experience dealing with foreign students like yourself, I dare say more so then any other flight school in Canada. Get started with your PPL at Harv's. And once your there with your feet on the ground, it' won't be hard to investigate the other nearby schools (as mentioned above).

Train in St. Andrews!! Big city fun is only a 15 min drive away! Don't get me wrong, Steinbach is a nice small Mennonite town.. but thats it.

PM me if you need more info.

Scoobster
26th Nov 2007, 10:42
Hi Guys,

Wow, there certainly seems to have been lots or replies since I last checked.

I had the opportunity to give Harvs Air a call and direct my questions towards them.

I have looked into Perimeter and as you say they appear to be a good school for IFR and do not offer the PPL. It would have been great if they had offered the PPL.

There seems to be mixed opinions about Harvs Air, albeit there have been mainly positive ones but choosing a flight school is all about 'mitigating against the risk of things going wrong'.

The only thing you cannot mitigate against is the instructors unless you get started. The likes of Moncton, Harvs Air, ProIFR, Perimeter all have a good reputation and it is a case of what is right for the student.

Cedarman - I could indeed do my PPL at home, but there are many considerations such as cost and weather to take into consideration. There is a lot of downtime in terms of weather and lots of cancellations.

I would prefer spending a block 5-7 weeks getting my PPL and learning in a different country for the 'experience'. I can always fly in the U.K at any time.

I think what I may do is spend 1 week visiting flying schools in the winnipeg area to get a feel for the place.

I will most likely do IFR with Perimeter, so at the moment it looks like:

1) PPL - Get Started

2) IFR - Perimeter.

Cedarman - I am interested to know, what your experiences of Harvs Air have been and what other FTOs you may recommend without the 'marketing gloss'. I will PM you.

Mr North - I will also PM you.

Thanks

Scoobster.

Scoobster
26th Nov 2007, 10:58
Hi Zegg,

How recent was your experience with Harvs Air?

Thanks

zegg
27th Nov 2007, 16:08
Unfortunately not very recent in terms of first hand, they had just acquired the Steinbach base last time I was there.

Never did PPL or CPL there. Only some instruments towards CPL, my over the top, aerobatics, and my multi engine.

I would have to agree with the comments about instructors, I had one who did my check out on tail dragger that I probably wouldn't have flown with again. But then the guy I was working with for aerobatics was worth his weight in gold. But that is the same with any school considering the turnover on instructors. But that is just the nature of the beast with them being on the bottom end of the pay scales. The nice thing I found with Harv's are that there are a good number of instructors. So at very least you could probably arrange to meet a few before you pick out one. Especially if you pay a pre-visit before showing up.

Cheers,

Zegg.

But I should have mentioned, that I am planning on doing my multi IFR through perimeter. :bored: Essentially I also found them to be the best in Canada for basic multi-IFR.

Cheers,

Zegg.

cfmoverboost
28th Nov 2007, 12:54
just remember, Steinbach is a dry town....meaning no booze available, which would drive me nuts. Western Canada is definitely the way to go with regards to weather conditions, there's alot of down time in the east. MFC, I hear, is reaching capacity with all the Chinese training there, meaning less available aircraft.

Scoobster
29th Nov 2007, 14:48
Well, I do not drink so I don't think that would be a problem :}

I am leaning more towards St. Andrews now....

cedarman
29th Nov 2007, 19:36
scoobster if you choose harvs try st andrews. Control tower class d, They will give you vdf steers, as well if you have to you can also get a special vfr to get back in at night. one sm flight visibility. St andrews allows a bit more talking (with a control tower).

Saying this, I am assuming your long term goal is a airline. They are set up for international students (accomadations etc). Good luck. Follow up with Perimeter no matter what for your multi ifr, no matter what harvs has to offer.

There is no comparison, real company, they train in ice etc, plus who knows maybe you can get on the metro if you become a resident (canadian) has happened many times in the past.

SIMBA KALI
29th Nov 2007, 20:27
Cedarman, I had sent you a msg to your pm box. Whenever you get a chance get back @ me .Thanx.

Jerricho
3rd Dec 2007, 13:21
They will give you vdf steers

Just been removed from service at CYAV.

SIERRA ECHO XRAY
18th Dec 2007, 17:38
Talking of western canada due to good weather ; which school is highly recommended?

Citabria7eca
22nd Dec 2007, 23:22
Harv Penner is the hardest working instructor in the industry. He is far from retired. He completed somewhere over 150 flight test in 2007 himself.

The training is very professional. The company has completed just under 400 flight test in 2007, I'm not sure if any other flying school in Canada came close.

The Multi/IFR training is very good. Both of their multi trainers are flying day and night. With avionics that is top of the line (GNS430/Sandel EHSI/STEC autopilot). Four Flight Training Devices, two of which have a GNS430 installed. With boots and will fly actual provided the student is capable. You pay per actual flying time. and you'll be able to fly with the same instructor through out the training.

Asrian
23rd Dec 2007, 12:38
Hello,
I'm interested in doing my PPL in a 4-6 week intensive course in summer 2008 too. Maybe USA, maybe Canada.
Just came across the Harv's Air website.
I'm also considering doing my PPL training on a tailwheel plane or get a tailwheel endorsement later. So Harvs seem to be a good place for it.

-Do You know if Harvs offer initial PPL-training on taildraggers?
-Does anybody know what's the actual status regarding JAA training at Harvs?
-Where else in Canada tailwheel training is offered?

Feel free to pm me about Your experience.

Have a Merry X-Mas!

Citabria7eca
23rd Dec 2007, 18:18
-Do You know if Harvs offer initial PPL-training on taildraggers?

yes, they use 2 Citabrias for PPL, tailwheel and acro They also have a taylorcraft L2, and a Pitts S2B

-Does anybody know what's the actual status regarding JAA training at Harvs?

It's on hold.

dewarg
4th Jan 2008, 12:05
Reference the posting, “setting things straight”, by Citabria7eca on December 22, 2007

A flight college in eastern Canada performed 551 flight tests in the 2007 calendar year.

slowandsteady
4th Jan 2008, 15:04
Don't forget to consider Winnipeg Aviation!
http://www.winnipegaviation.com
And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. :)

Ste88
12th Jun 2008, 10:31
What's your advice...

Vancuover ProIFR or Winnipeg, Harv's air???

I'm looking for an advice. I have a frind who works at Proifr as FI while i know other person in Winnipeg...
I'm afraid to go in winnipeg bacause I know the weather and i dont think to fly during winter season.

Thanks a lot!

FougaMagister
22nd Jun 2008, 13:32
I used Harv's Air for hour building back in 2006 (so I can't really comment on PPL etc. - but all European students I talked to seemed satisfied). It is a busy place, but there is still a "family" feel about the place. Harv even arranged to pick me up himself at Winnipeg airport when I arrived!

However, for PPL purposes, I would rather recommend going to St Andrews; controlled airfield, possibility of night flying (so you could do a night qualification along with your PPL), close to Winnipeg International (where you can arrange touch and goes - a bit like dropping by at BHX or EMA in the UK!) and closer to nice airfields like Lac du Bonnet or Gimli. Steinbach can be a bit "provincial". I had no aircraft booking issues with Harvs'Air, and there were no extras to pay.

I wouldn't worry about winter weather in Manitoba. It can get very cold indeed, but it's usually clear so perfectly flyable (with great aircraft performance).

I have no experience of Pro-IFR (although I understand they have a good reputation). If it's your first time in Canada, then British Columbia might be more attractive than Manitoba...

Cheers :cool:

MidgetBoy
23rd Jun 2008, 01:02
Pro IFR is a good school, however, the weather in general at the airport sucks.
There's times you'll go through a full week of being fogged in.

Sonic69
29th Jun 2008, 05:55
Anybody used Toronto Airways before? Any reviews would be helpful. Thx.