PDA

View Full Version : minimum for alternate airports?

dartagnan
8th Nov 2007, 12:54
what are minimum weather for alternate airports?

precision 600ft
unprecison 800 ft

2 sm visibility.

correct?

Gary Lager
8th Nov 2007, 13:08
I assume you're talking about at the planning stage.

Basically JAR-OPS says you need to have weather forecast for ETA +1/-1hr which is one 'category' better than the available approach aids:

For selection as a destination alternate or en-route alternate, an airport must satisfy the following conditions:

• Meteorological reports and/or forecasts must indicate that the weather at the airport will be at or above the planning minima specified in the Table below for ± 1 hour of the aircraft's expected time of arrival:

Type of Approach v. Planning Minima
Cat II and III Approach - Cat I minima forecast (Note 1)
Cat I Approach - Non-Precision minima forecast (Note 1, 2 and 3)
Non-Precision Approach - Non-Precision minima forecast (Note 2) MDH plus 200ft/vis plus 1,000m
Circling Approach - Circling minima forecast

NOTE:
1 Runway Visual Range
2 The ceiling must be at or above the Minimum Descent Height
3 A localiser only approach is considered acceptable in this context.Is that what you're looking for?

dartagnan
8th Nov 2007, 13:19
I think it's that.

so i just need to add one category.
let say i can land cat2, but minimum weather must be good for cat1 (200ft/550RVR).

if i can land only Cat1, i will use minimum weather for a VOR approach.
in this case i can file the airport as alternate?
but I can still land the way I want?this is only for planning?.

the numbers I got in my first post are FAA rules.

212man
8th Nov 2007, 13:27
I assume you've been here first: http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/jar-ops-1.pdf

Statute miles are not JAR.

If you are JAR OPS you will be operating to an Ops Manual Part A: what does that say?

Gary Lager
8th Nov 2007, 14:47
let say i can land cat2, but minimum weather must be good for cat1 (200ft/550RVR).

Yes, but not all CAT 1 ILS approaches have RVR minima as low as 550m, you have to look at the actual relevant approach minima. Also, from a legal standpoint, the cloud ceiling doesn't matter when talking about precision approaches.

if i can land only Cat1, i will use minimum weather for a VOR approach.

Yes. Assuming the airport in question has got one; or use the relevant NDB/SRA/LLZ only approach minima as applicable.

in this case i can file the airport as alternate?
but I can still land the way I want?this is only for planning?.

Correct. Once airborne, you need only worry about the actual weather/visibility to determine the legality of an approach at your alternate (or continuing to your destination, if your alternate airport no longer has a usuable approach).

easyDays
8th Nov 2007, 15:04
Don’t confuse JAR and FAA rules they are very different

dartagnan
8th Nov 2007, 15:48
yes, i am confused.
but I think I start to gte it staight.

under FAA, rules are 600-800 ft AGL and 2 sm.

under JAA, they use higher category approach for planning and reference to a chart (linked by 212man)which is slighly more complicated.But only RVR is limitating.

Robeki
8th Nov 2007, 16:03
Dartagnan,

I have criticized you in the past, and this just shows to prove that you shouldn’t be flying an airplane. How can you be bitter at Vueling for firing you when you don’t know:

Fuel Requirements
Alternate Minimums
MEA, MSA
How did you ever pass the Interview? These are the most basic operational rules that a pilot should know. I would think that if a pilot was confused on these topics, he would pick up a copy of JAR-OPS 1. Do you even know what this document is?

Seriously, have you thought about taking up a career at McDonalds?