PDA

View Full Version : PPL in The West Midlands

gareth herts
22nd Oct 2007, 15:12
Afternoon all

I am thinking of finally taking the plunge and going for my PPL in the new year.

I live in Birmingham and, having conducted a very quick search, Wolverhampton would appear to be my nearest option - but which would be the best? Obviously I'm prepared to travel a little way to ensure quality and I am hoping to go for some kind of intensive course option if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gareth

GANutter
24th Oct 2007, 11:08
Your nearest airfields are going to be Wolverhampton, Coventry and Wellesbourne (near Startford upon Avon) all of which have flying training organisations. I suspect Wellesbourne may be the cheapest option but you'll need to do some research. Wellesbourne has the best cafe in my personal opinion:) and has two runways (the short one is closed on Saturdays for a market). Coventry has full ATC which is both a good thing (from the point of view of getting used to it) and a bad thing (when a 737 is in circuit and you have to wait around burning money). Wolverhampton has three runways and both Wolverhampton and Wellesbourne are busy enough to give you plenty of practise mixing it with others.

I've done far more flying at Wellesbourne that the other two so I may be a bit biased, but they seem a bit friendlier and there's four fixed wing training organisations to choose from. One (Wellesbourne Aviation) has just been taken over by Cabair which may or may not be agood thing but I'd probably go for either South Warwickshire or Pilot Flight Training. One of our friends has recently got his PPL with Pilot Flight Training and they seemed very flexible and helpful possibly because they're not very big. The aifield website is www.wellesbourneairfield.com and has links to all the training organisations.

Happy aviating

tangovictor
24th Oct 2007, 16:47
if money is tight, why not, go for the nppl m, I know that halfpenny green have a 3 axis microlight school, flying C42's I think, half the price, same fun

d192049d
24th Oct 2007, 16:50
Dont forget Tatenhill!!! Just 30 mins from Sutton Coldfield area...nice aircraft both Piper & Cessna if you above average in height / weight + good rates + good facilities.

GANutter
25th Oct 2007, 06:57
Ah, forgot Tatenhill.

On the microlight front I'd maybe suggest a note of caution. A friend of ours has been doing an NPPL on microlights and has had quite a few problems which appear to be down to the schools being run on a more amateur basis. Having said that there are some excellent microlights around and the C42 is very popular (never flown one myself mind). Costs of going the microlight route from a training point of view are theoretically a little cheaper although most people seem to have to fly more hours for their license so I guess it evens out. The other advantage of doing a PPL A (or NPPL A for that matter) is that it's easy to convert onto microlights - not sure how easy it is the other way around.

tangovictor
25th Oct 2007, 10:12
well all I can say is, I decided to take the nppl m, and found a very professional school, long term, I have no interest in commercial flying or night/instrument, its purely for fun, and a new 3 axis microlight cost a fraction to buy / maintain & run, than any spam can

vectis lady
25th Oct 2007, 11:24
why not have a look at cosford powered flying club @ raf cosford, its 5mins from the M54 so easy for you to get to, nice airfield that you get to yourself half the time because the RAF hardly use it for anything just UBAS & gliders,

they managed to teach me anyway :0)

hingey
25th Oct 2007, 14:42
Coventry is a NIGHTMARE for circuits! You can easily spend 15- 25 minutes orbiting each time round. Stay away! Wellesbourne would be my choice, but I don't really know anything about Wolverhampton.

h

Ex Oggie
25th Oct 2007, 19:31
Wellesbourne Airfield :ok:

Great facilities for a GA airfield, very friendly and training orientated.

I am biased, so I would suggest making an afternoon of it, and come and visit each of the 3 flying schools based here, then make your mind up.

XO

PNR3
26th Oct 2007, 12:52
Don't forget Shobdon, good rates, good instructors with uncontrolled airspace for your initial training. With Tiger helicopters, Sabre Airsport, Hereford Gliding Club and Hereford Aeroclub you get plenty of experience mixing with helicopters, microlights and gliders in the circuit.

Good cafe, bar and on site camping/caravan park.

Check out http://www.aeroclub.co.uk

micromalc
26th Oct 2007, 19:11
if money is tight i would go for nppl (a) after you have gained it you have 18 months to convert tp full A licence if you feel its for you.Which is exactly what i did except i didn't convert to the full licence as for me the nppl gives me all i need.

gareth herts
29th Oct 2007, 10:06
Just wanted to say a big thank you once again for the replies, both here and via PM.