PDA

View Full Version : TSO or non TSO Radio

one2go
5th Oct 2007, 05:38
What does TSO mean? If you are building a kit aircraft do you have to fit a TSO radio? If I buy a TSO radio, say an icom I-200, in the US can I fit it in a UK kit aircraft?

Cessna 210 Heavy
5th Oct 2007, 10:40
To me TSO means Time Since Overhaul, but I suspect it is not the case.

BEagle
5th Oct 2007, 10:52
In this context it means Technical Standard Order and means the equipment meets the relevant (US) TSO.

The PFA should be able to tell you whether a US-sourced Icom 200 is also approved as an aeronautical radio station for home built aircraft in the UK.

stiknruda
5th Oct 2007, 12:31
I installed an Icom A200, which I bought heavily discounted from AS&S into the aircraft that I built. Worked a treat, too. Far better than the Micro-Air in my current permit a/c.

I installed a two position toggle switch just in front of the throttle quadrant, toggle up and the box would cycle through the memory. Toggle down and it would flip-flop from s/byto active. Very Gucci!

Stik

smarthawke
5th Oct 2007, 12:42
The IC A-200 is allowed to be fitted in aircraft in the UK - I've got one in the RV. Works very well and is very similar to the King 96/97.

Strange thing is you can't buy one in the UK for UK use because it hasn't got a 'CE' stamp. Apparently, Icom UK didn't want to pay for the basic test (which covers everything, not just aircraft bits or avionics).

There were all sorts of rumours going round about them catching fire and stuff which was all cr@p.

AFE over here used to sell them but only for export! Funny old world....

IO540
5th Oct 2007, 17:23
A pity nobody knows the answer.

I think a TSOd piece of avionics is required for an aircraft with an ICAO CofA.

Note that a TSO is an American compliance standard, but AFAIK Europe accepts it.

Homebuilts etc are not bound by any of this - they can screw what they like into their panel. If it is a radio transmitting device then that must comply with other regs, concerning frequency accuracy, interference etc but that doesn't require a TSO.

SkyHawk-N
5th Oct 2007, 19:17
In FAA land (I presume it's the same for CAA?) Non TSO parts are not approved for certified aircraft, although non-TSO parts can also be approved for use in certified aircraft via the PMA or STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) route.

will5023
5th Oct 2007, 21:10
Just because a radio is TSO in USA, do not presume that it will be ok over here, for example some VAL radios are not approved here in the UK. Call the CAA they have an approved list or will investigate the radio for you, I have the number somewhere if it is needed, but you can get the info from the main CAA number and ask for radio dept. The PFA only approve CAA approved radio's, it is to do with band width transmission i.e the transmission not leaking onto another frequency.

Will.

Zulu Alpha
5th Oct 2007, 22:29
The IC A-200 is allowed to be fitted in aircraft in the UK - I've got one in the RV. Works very well and is very similar to the King 96/97.
Strange thing is you can't buy one in the UK for UK use because it hasn't got a 'CE' stamp. Apparently, Icom UK didn't want to pay for the basic test (which covers everything, not just aircraft bits or avionics).
Harry M sells the ICOM A-200 as I bought one 6 months ago. Turns out I may not need it so it could be for sale, unused and unopened with all the fittings. pm if you are interested.
It is non TSO so can only go in a homebuilt/PFA permit.
ZA

POBJOY
6th Oct 2007, 01:23
I am looking for something like that !! (how do we proceed) !!
I do not think the radio's are of a lesser quality for not being tso'd