PDA

View Full Version : Low fuel and Minimum fuel

New on NG
20th Sep 2007, 02:46
Hello everyone!
Can any of you folks explain and or show where could i find the difference between low fuel and minimum fuel?
Thanks in advance!!!:8

BOAC
20th Sep 2007, 07:21
It would help if you told us in which context you have found each of the expressions.

stator vane
20th Sep 2007, 08:46
he'll set you straight---

he'll show you how to declare your destination as your alternate at the same time!!!

and when your fuel gets low enough, it will be the only airport you can reach!!! maybe!!!???

be green!!! light up those caution lights every flight!!

get the feeling, "it's good to be alive"

walk away feeling you really accomplished something today--"i made the runway!!!"

minimum fuel is a legal term, isn't it? on your flight plan, "min reserve" which figure represents the absolute min to be in the air. and when getting close to that and still in the air, it depends on how lucky you feel, as to when you want to declare "low fuel"

a subjective perspective is involved in the latter, to be sure. (much like "that's a good looking car")

RYR-738-JOCKEY
20th Sep 2007, 09:40
On the 737 you'll get a FMC/CDU message alert; "Using reserve fuel", whenever the box figures you'll be dipping into the manually entered reserve fuel. (It basically compares anticipated fuelburn with the rest of your active route.) This Reserve fuel is alternate fuel+final reserve fuel.
Now, your final reserve is fuel for 30 min holding at 1500' at holding speed. 1100 kg's is what we use.
In Europe, the only approved phrases to get priority is either PAN-PAN or MAYDAY. A low fuel call, will not give you priority.
If I'm down to reserve fuel (typically 2,3t), I either divert or commit to my destination (informing ATC about it).
I call PAN-PAN if I anticipate to dip into my final reserve(1,1t), and MAYDAY if I'm in fact burning it.