PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Filton EGTG

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 09:31
Hi there, I am considering doing a cross country from Sheffield to Bristol Filton EGTG. I have not flown in the South West area before and would appreciate any advice/hints tips and information on Bristol Filton. I have not been able to find a lot on the interweb using my limited Google skills. Greatly appreciate any input. I would also be interested in any alternative fields in the Bristol Chippenham area.

Thanks!

gcolyer
23rd Aug 2007, 09:55
I am based at Filton. The service there is very good, but you will pay about £25 landing fee in a single. The runway is huge 2700m long and 91m wide. There is ILS, NDB and DME. It is designated so it is a good stop point for customs/speacial branch.

The only downer is the airfield has strict operating times and you need to check NOTAMS all the time as they will close regularly for Airbus, BAe and Rolly Royce scheduales.

It is very strict PPR and they may ask for a full ICAO flight plan.

http://www.bristolfilton.co.uk/

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 10:01
Thanks for that. After posting, I did track down the web site! A full ICAO flight plan sounds intimidating. I suspect I should have done one during my ppl training, but it is not something I have come accross. I will have to trawl my books....

Are you able to provide any information about the likely joining procedure for VFR flights? Reading the textual information on the AIS, it sounds like they have some specific procedures.

I am sure I will be fine, but I have found that the more information I can tease out of this forum, the less surprises I get on the flight ;-)

gcolyer
23rd Aug 2007, 11:05
All circuits are 1500ft QFE.

The Northerly circuit is huge, about 2.5 mile radius. The southerly circuit is very tight, about half a wing length. The decent for both usualy should start on base. Coming from Sheffield I am 99.9% certain you will get either a left base join for 09 or a right base join for 27 which puts you in the Northerly circuit. They will usualy try to give you a 09 approach if the wind permits it. And they will usualy try to give you a 27 departure (it keeps you away from housing areas).

The reporting point they will most likely ask you to report is Thornbury. if you look on the chart at the southerly 7 bridge and then go East about 3-5 miles you will be over a built up area, this is Thornbury.

As for the radio you will contact them on Filton approach and they will hand you over to Filton tower.

When departing you must request engine start clearance from Filton tower.

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 11:12
...top service! Thanks. :ok:

Three Yellows
23rd Aug 2007, 11:14
... its not that scary.

I flew in there a couple of weeks ago.

Approach, tower and ground handling all very friendly.

Ring them on the PPR number (sorry, don't have it to hand)

Coming in from the north will be no problem as you can get onto Filton Appr nice and early.

My best advice would be to print off the AIP pages from www.ais.org.uk (http://www.ais.org.uk) so that you have a good plan of the field showing the various parking aprons.

In total been in there 4 times in last two years, NEVER needed a CA48 flight plan.

matspart3
23rd Aug 2007, 11:20
Gloucester is cheaper, has more runways, no PPR, decent restaurant, pilot shop, easier access to taxis etc. Bit of a trek to Chippenham, but not the end of the world.

MikeSamuel
23rd Aug 2007, 11:33
http://www.garstonfarm.flyer.co.uk/

Ten minutes from Chippenham, taxiable or there's a bus service from the village, about once a day I think :)

Chilli Monster
23rd Aug 2007, 12:15

Nonsense on the FPL (I used to work there) PPR on 0117 9362400

Garston is a smashing little strip - no problems for a Warrior (I kept one there for a week a few years back). Just make sure you get the owners permission first.

Gloucester to Chippenham is a pain the ar$e - Kemble is a lot closer.

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 13:03
Bristol Filton is closed on Bank Holiday Monday, thanks for the response, I think I will give Kemble a try. It sounds from the web site like I have to dodge the gliders and avoid the villages ;-)

Any operating advice out of Kemble would also be welcome!

Garston sounds great, but I don't have 100 hours P1 and I have work to do on my grass runway technique. I am planning to go over to Netherthorpe for some work with an instructor...

Thanks...

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 14:13

Nonsense on the FPL (I used to work there) PPR on 0117 9362400

Agreed. Been to Filton a lot in the last three years - never been asked for an FPL.

I have also never had a problem with the airport being closed (but maybe I have been lucky).

If you are leaving the airport it is well worth asking for parking on the GA apron on the south side - avoids the need for the "bus" to collect you.

So far as the approach is concerned there are a few airspace considerations to take account of. Bristol Int'l's class D is pretty close to the south side of Filton. Lyneham to the East will happily give you a a zone transit but it is easy to "miss" Colerne who are quite protective about there overhead. Finally watch the restricted airspace down the Bristol channel.

If you are thinking of using the localiser they went through a phase when it was not on at the weekend - it was last time I was there, but it is worth checking in advance.

There is a bus into Bristol from the dual carriageway over the threshold to 27, but it is a bit of a walk throught the BAe complex.

Finally, it is well worth a visit, but I have never understood why it is so expensive. There is hardly any GA there and I suspect because of the charges visitors are few and far between (I have rarely seen more than two or three on the south ramp), which is a great shame. It is not as if it has much commercial use either - there is the BAe shuttle during the week and other light commercial activity but not a lot seems to happen at the week end.

Dont forget the static Concorde exhibit is on the south side and I think it is now reopened although I never had time to visit myself

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 14:17
Kemble is fine and I can give you some information if you wish but if you want to trying something a bit different in that area why dont you give Badminton a try - I think they are usually open PPR.

Alternatively, although I have never paid them a visit, what about Colerne(referred in my previous post). They dont appear in the flight guides but I have called them a couple of times on the radio to ask if they accept visits - and they told me they certainly did.

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 14:24
I am certainly going to give Bristol Filton a try. Actually to visit Bristol Filton and Newquay was the 'reason' I learnt to fly. It was so I could use it to visit family at those locations. That was over 18 months ago. I have a day clear this weekend and rather than go for the £100 bacon sandwich I thought I would actually start to use it for the purpose I did it for.

Thanks for the other tips, but sadly my plane is a bit sparse on instrument equipment. I am working towards my IMC and then once I have that, I might go and try and find a little 152 with some IMC kit in.

Thanks for the other visiting suggestions. I am settling on Kemble this weekend, but I will certainly put the other ones on the list. I want to become familiar with operating around this area. :ok:

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 14:54
Good luck.

When you get to Filton make sure your friends know how to get into the airport if they are going to collect you. It is not obvious. They need the r-a-b with the travel Lodge and through the BAe main gate.

Newquay I am afraid is another painfully expensive place for no obvious reason - but there it is - there train set and all that.

Personally I would go to Peranporth as it is nearly as close and a quarter the cost.

Peranporth has been for sale - not sure what has happened and hope it will continue.

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 14:57
...I take your point about the cost, but on my first visit to Cornwall I am going to Newquay and take a plane with all the toys to help!. I have little doubt as my confidence grows I will quickly switch into the cheaper airfields.

By the way had a really friendly response from Kemble, who are open on BH Monday!

gcolyer
23rd Aug 2007, 15:05
Well you might all say nonsense. I am currently based there and have been for the last year. Note I did not say mandatory for the FPL but it is common for them to ask for one. As for PPR they are strict on it, infact all BAe airfields are.

As for operating hours.

Weekdays it is 07:30 to 19:30 (now and again they extend)
Weekends 09:00 to 17:30

There is a lot more commercial activity than people think. You have the daily airbus schedule, engine tests, wing tests, royal mail flights, prototype equipment tests.

There is not a great deal of private GA based there all there are a few nice bits of kit there....malibu's, 2 spitfires and various PA28's. the biggest GA use is the 2 flying clubs that are there.

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 15:10
...I take your point about the cost, but on my first visit to Cornwall I am going to Newquay and take a plane with all the toys to help!. I have little doubt as my confidence grows I will quickly switch into the cheaper airfields.

Yes, Newquay is fine.

However, I am sure you dont think price necessarily coincides with ease of access.

In reality the only advantage Newquay has over Peranporth is the localiser. What this means is that if the forecast suggests a base below say 1,500 feet (to be cautious) and you are prepared to go IFR / IMC then Newquay will provide a let down.

Sometimes for smaller airfields read smaller runways and grass rather than hard. In this case Peranporth has hard runways, more than adequate length and the advantage that with six (I think) you are more likely to find one into wind compared with Newquay's single runway.

Of course in reality if you have got the toys on board and the weather is poor in this situation you could plan for Peranporth but divert to Newquay.

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 15:14
...I will definitely put in another post before my next Cornwall Jaunt. If the weather is kind, it could certainly be this year! I take the many valid points you make. There is something reassuring about 'G-LG Clear To Land' 'Clear to land G-LG', but I am happy to admit that could be my illusion. ;-)

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 15:47
I take the many valid points you make. There is something reassuring about 'G-LG Clear To Land' 'Clear to land G-LG', but I am happy to admit that could be my illusion. ;-)

I promise you it is. However, I use to feel exactly like you.

For me, there is still something reassuring being giving vectors to the localiser and knowing that I will break cloud at 500 feet or whatever with the end of the runway in view as opposed to setting up for my own cloud break to crawl into a strip without any form of procedural approach and not really beign sure whether I will be able to extablish visual at a safe height or have to divert.

If I may offer some advise. When you can (and assuming you havent already), go and do some flying at an uncontrolled strip with A/G and if you wish take an instructor or another pilot with you who has done it before. Do a few landings and you will quickly realise that there is no magic in some one clearing you to land.

bigfoot01
23rd Aug 2007, 15:54
...I do work out of an uncontrolled field. It is just something about going to a completely new area - especially a long way away and having that at the end. As I said, I am sure it is all in my mind and I will review the Newquay decision a bit closer to the time.....:O

bookworm
23rd Aug 2007, 16:50
Well you might all say nonsense. I am currently based there and have been for the last year. Note I did not say mandatory for the FPL but it is common for them to ask for one.

Obviously you have your own experience. Mine is that Filton are fairly relaxed about booking out -- a few details scribbled on a form in ops for either VFR or IFR departure, and no problem with last minute changes by RT. I haven't filed a FPL inbound for a long time.

(And once you have the template, sending a FPL by email or fax is really no big deal.)

Chilli Monster
23rd Aug 2007, 19:46
Note I did not say mandatory for the FPL but it is common for them to ask for one.

Sorry - but that's still nonsense (I say that as both an ex ATCO there, someone who still knows the Ops staff extremely well, and someone who still currently flies out of there- my rides are the gucci little('ish) aircraft with the engines fitted to the back ;) ).

gcolyer
23rd Aug 2007, 20:02
All flights I have done further north than Birmingham I have been asked to submit a flight plan.

Chilli Monster
23rd Aug 2007, 20:09
Well - never been my experience. The only FPL's I've filed out of Filton have been for airways and international flights.

Fuji Abound
23rd Aug 2007, 21:19
Note I did not say mandatory for the FPL but it is common for them to ask for one.

Out of interest common for who to ask?

My experience has always been to ' phone or fax for PPR. I once even had to set off early and take a chance as I had not PPR'd, and needed to leave before they opened. I explained the problem and they very kindly gave consent en route. (I would have gone elsewhere if they had not).

Leaving, I have always paid and "signed out" in the office by the southern GA stand - never been asked to FPL.

Who is it that asks?

gcolyer
23rd Aug 2007, 22:56
Usualy get asked by one of the Op's guys. I do fly alot of overseas flights so that explains some of the requests.

I also cross FIR's alot which strictly by the book requires a FLP as does flying more than 40nm from base. This is why I think I get asked majority of the time.

Personaly I don't mind after all a FLP does mean someone somewhere know's your rough timing and route should anything go wrong.

Either way Filton is very good service and worth the money, plus I can use my Air BP fuel card there which gets me fuel at about £1.07 a litre.

Raven30
23rd Aug 2007, 23:03
Fuji,
You're getting ahead of yourself by about 12 months. For the next year or so, it will remain St Mawgan. Please don't write us off just yet! Newquay Airport at the moment consists of the terminal building a hangar and a few dispersals, the rest, including all the navaids still belongs to the RAF.

Anyone planning to fly into St Mawgan / Newquay should be aware that for routine flights PPR applies via Midwest Exec and for flights at the weekend, normal procedure is to request PPR before 1700L on the friday preceding. Divs and emergencies obviously excepted.

Whirlybird
24th Aug 2007, 07:50
I also cross FIR's alot which strictly by the book requires a FLP as does flying more than 40nm from base. This is why I think I get asked majority of the time.

Ah, light dawns! So it probably doesn't have anything to do with Filton specifically.

I couldn't understand it, because I've been into Filton several times, and it's easy as anything. The last time we were in a helicopter on the way back from Weston-Super-Mare Helidays; we phoned and asked if we could drop in just for fuel, and I've never had such a quick turnaround - bowser arrives, go and pay, depart.

As for flight plans, the ony times I've had to file them in ten years and over 1000 hours of flying has been to cross an International boundary or within Ireland. This doesn't happen often, which means that nearly every single time I forget how it's done and have to ask for help...and no-one ever minds. So don't be scared of flight plans when you have to file them.....but it's unlikely for Filton.

bookworm
24th Aug 2007, 07:51
Usualy get asked by one of the Op's guys. I do fly alot of overseas flights so that explains some of the requests.

Which book is this? Flights that cross international FIR boundaries (not London/Scottish) require a FPL. Otherwise, a pre-flight FPL is unnecessary.

Chilli Monster
24th Aug 2007, 08:20
I also cross FIR's alot which strictly by the book requires a FLP

Only international FIR boundaries - not flights crossing national (e.g London - Scottish flights)

as does flying more than 40nm from base.

Ok, we're going from nonsense to b*ll*cks here. It's 40km, and only if your aircraft weighs more than 5700kg (for route charging purposes). And that requirement is still complied with by an abbreviated FPL (please note abbreviation) via Ops to ATC (not a formal CA48 submission). I don't think the C172/182 (can't remember what it is) falls into that category.

I'd stop digging holes for yourself before you can't get out ;)

Caullystone
24th Aug 2007, 11:57
I am based in Cornwall and always looking for places nearby to go..

How easy it it to get to Cribs Shopping Area from Filton airfield....

Might be able to persude the wife to come with me on a cross coiuntry for shopping?

:)

Deano777
24th Aug 2007, 13:15
caullystone

It's easy to get to the Mall from Filton, buses leave frequently from the A38 bus stops.

As for flying into & out of Filton, yes it is easy, I instruct for one of the flight schools there (but based in Staverton), I did alot of hr building there and it can't be any easier than it is really. ATC are friendly & helpful, and as Whirls says you can turn around very quickly indeed.