PDA

View Full Version : British Airways - Wannabees & Recruitment II

Pages : [1] 2 3

TightSlot
13th Aug 2007, 11:48
Please use the forum SEARCH function for previous threads on this subject - Your question may have been answered already

batriple7
14th Aug 2007, 07:57
Good Morning All.

I hope someone may be able to answer my question who has trained recently as cabin crew at LGW.
I know the total training is 5 weeks and I know some time is spent at LHR. I am trying to sort out accomodation at LGW during my training and was wondering if it is the first 2 weeks at LGW then a week at LHR then back to LGW for the last 3 weeks.

Maybe DC 10 can help on this one.

Many thanks and have a good day all

DC-10
14th Aug 2007, 11:19
Hi batriple7 :) - I trained in June and the first week and a half was at Hangar 6 at LGW and then on the Wednesday of the 2nd week we were at LHR and stayed in a hotel for 2 nights. Home at the weekend then on the Monday of the 3rd week we were back at LHR and in a hotel until Friday. LGW based crew get paid an allowance for each day of training which helps a lot! The rest of the course was at LGW although on the final Saturday we had one day at LHR to do restraint and security training. Of course the format of the training could all change but the timetable is given to you at the start of the course.

When are you starting? I am sure you will love it as LGW is a really fun and friendly base and I have had some great times already!

blueskybird
14th Aug 2007, 13:21
DC-10 i envy you!! :D:D:D
what was your roster like for your first month if you dont mind me asking?
im currently waiting for my interview which is on the 5th sept..sooo excited!!
becoming cc for ba would be an absolute dream!
By the way how much did your accommodation cost you for the 5 wk training spell?

please keep us updated on what life is like as cc at LGWSF ;);)

happy landings, x x blueskybird x x

DC-10
14th Aug 2007, 14:15
Good luck for your interview - I live in Worthing so drove in each day but I believe there is a company that can find you accomodation for 5 weeks - costs about £400-500 if I remember correctly. I am sure someone on here will have a link to the website.

My roster has been ok - a good mix of long and shorthaul and that was without bidding as we were training and missed the bid window. A Dallas trip, 4 Orlando's (have completed 2 and they were not as bad as people say and the shopping is great!) and a Manchester night stop, 3 day European trip with a night in Geneva and a longer stay in Amsterdam. Also some there and backs but no doubles so far! Waiting for my September roster as I bid on this one so will be interesting to see what I get.

All in all I love LGW - crews are great and have had a lot of fun so far. I used to fly for BA at LHR and then Longhaul Gatwick and left back in 98 and was not sure how I would find it being back as a junior but it has been brilliant and I am so pleased I got LGW.

pepito.perez
14th Aug 2007, 18:26
Hi Guys!!

Would be great if anyone posts that link to the website of this company that finds you accomodation near Gatwick.
I've never lived in the UK and have no idea how to get started!. Suggestions are very much welcome!!!.

Hi BATRIPLE7!. Have you spoken to BA again since they phoned you to give you your starting date?.
I'm not very sure about this, but I think they are gonna phone us again to check something regarding references and to give us a BA contact phone number. Am I right or totally wrong?
My problem is that I spend a lot of time far away from any form of communication and I'm getting paranoic about missed BA phonecalls!:ugh:

Cheers and thank you all for your help!!

jwilli11
15th Aug 2007, 08:57
Dear DC 10, I hope you are well. I am starting training on 08th October for LGW and am completly new to Cabin Crew. I now you have mentioned its a mixture of long and short haul but would you be able to tell me more about this how many days on do you do and how many days off do you then get i know this is a big question but just trying to get an idea? Thanks much jo x

DC-10
15th Aug 2007, 11:22
Generally you get 2 days off after a longhaul trip or a block of shorthaul. For example I have had something similar to this -

Mon Report 0945 LGW - MCO

Tue Depart MCO

Wed Arrive LGW 0630

Thu OFF

Fri OFF

Sat 0700 check in LGW-MAD-LGW-GVA (nightstop GVA)

Sun GVA-LGW-AMS (nightstop AMS)

Mon AMS-LGW-FCO-LGW Finish 1545

Tue Report 0945 LGW-MCO

Wed Depart MCO

Thu Arrive LGW 0630

Fri OFF

Sat OFF

You get 3 days off if you do a 7 day longhaul otherwise it is just one or two days together and a total of 9 a month.

GODDESS OF DAWN
16th Aug 2007, 20:41
Good Luck for Monday !! :ok:
Would be nice if you could keep us posted on what goes on at the course as a small preview. ;)
Well if you're too busy studying will understand.
All the best DAWN :)

GODDESS OF DAWN
16th Aug 2007, 20:47
Hi to all!!
I'm still waiting for a course date, however I have a question about the course. Are we tested for swimming and getting into a life-raft ?
I am swimming everyday just in case but still would like to know in advance.
Thanks.
DAWN :)

pepito.perez
16th Aug 2007, 22:23
Hi guys!

Just a quick one:

I've never lived in the UK, can I still apply for the criminal record check online at the disclosure scotland website or do I have to go to London and use the paper application??

In case I need to go to London to do it personally, does anyone know where can I go to do it??

I find it a bit cofusing!!

Thank you very much for your help!!

Cheers!

HZ123
17th Aug 2007, 11:44
You will not be able to get a disclosure from SCO if you do not live or reside in the UK. You will have to obtain an alternative from you country of residence or a letter of good character from a notary.

rainbow8
17th Aug 2007, 14:11
Hi! I left BA recently and had applied for crew but wasnt able to get an assessment day. Ive just got an email to ask me to interview but cant log in to intranet to book time and date!!! Anyone else been/are in the same boat? Going around in circles with recruitment as noone seems to know hat to do? Thanks for any idvice Cheers:ugh:

sweety
18th Aug 2007, 08:42
Wait till you stand there on a plane, greeting pax!... or walk through the airport altogether...! ;-)

blueskybird
18th Aug 2007, 09:22
hi all

i was just wondering if there are any cc at LGWSF who get to and from work via public transport? if so how much do you put aside for this on a monthly basis and which areas are good to live in for this, i.e. crawley??

thinking of selling my car inorder to save on monthly outgoings (car insurnace, tax, mot, service etc)

many thanks for any help/info you can share ;);)

x x blueskybird x x

MuttleyJ
18th Aug 2007, 22:07
Goddess of Dawn: re: swimming question, don't worry about it. As long as you are an ok swimmer you will be fine. Things may have changed recently, but I had to put a life jacket on while treading water, swim up the pool while dragging someone else (but you're both kinda helping each other) and you all have to get on the life raft. But as long as you can swim you will be FINE don't worry and enjoy the course!! Good luck and have fun:)

BA Boi
19th Aug 2007, 03:08
AMS-LHR:

your questions over the last few months have been enjoyable to read and to respond to.
your energy and excitement about your new job has been nice to see/experience.
it brings back similar memories of how i was when i first started flying.

i wish you the best of luck for your training course from monday onwards - i'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. do your best to be an 'all rounder' on your course: with exams; speaking up in class at the appropriate times; team work etc etc etc in order to get one of the highest places, seniority wise, on your course.
seniority probably won't matter that much to you when you first start but later on in your career it could mean getting a transfer to longhaul 6 months before the person below you, or part-time 2 years before the person below you, or promotion to Purser or CSD long before the person below you etc etc etc.

but most of all enjoy it. the course is so professional and the trainers and facilities are fantastic.

enjoy!

:ok:.

HZ123
19th Aug 2007, 07:04
Take notes also and listen carefully to the bits when they say 'and this might be in your test'. Make sure that you are always turned out fully made up and at your best. At the breaks look around the classroom for paperwork about what is coming next. It will be hard work in the sense of long / complete days covering many subjects, some of which are almost interesting. Good luck.

GODDESS OF DAWN
19th Aug 2007, 09:43
Thanks for the info.

HZ123
19th Aug 2007, 11:03
Remember on Monday morning it is not an 'ordinary world' anymore. Carry on posting as I am sure others will be interested in your progress. I know you wouldn't but it might not be the best conversation part to mention this website in certain quarters.

blueskybird
19th Aug 2007, 12:21
I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck on your course and future BA career!! :ok::ok::ok::ok:

Let's hope all of us wannabees can follow on in your footsteps.

all the best,
x x blueskybird x x

Off Stand
19th Aug 2007, 13:49
Good luck and best wishes AMS-LHR. My sister is about to shart her last week of training and she has loved every bit of it.

I still look back at mine with fond memories and I am still in touch with those off my training course all the time, firm friends.

icepie
19th Aug 2007, 17:35
AMS-LHR,

Good luck for your imminent training course. Having read your posts I am sure your zest and enthusiasm will get you through. It is a demanding five weeks during which time you will learn so much. It's a whole new world, but a good one to be part off.:D

I recently completed the course and am now on line and I love it!! :8

Good Luck to everyone else waiting, hope it won't be too long. :rolleyes:

IP

galanjal
19th Aug 2007, 18:30
I wish you all the best for monday. you have been a real character on this thread and your enthusiasm has been so wonderful to see! I don't know about anyone else on here but I think it would be great to see a separate AMS thread to follow his progress. personally I am going to miss the AMS-LHR questions whenever I log on. So what about an AMS thread mods, would that be ok?

kikko
20th Aug 2007, 08:08
Good luck AMS and keep us posted :ok:

jwilli11
20th Aug 2007, 11:08
Thats so helpful thank you very much xx

jwilli11
20th Aug 2007, 11:49
Dear Everyone, I have my training date for Monday 8th October the welcome letter says to join at Cranebank Hangar 6 at 8am. Does anyone know if the training is for 5 or 6 weeks and is it just at Cranebank?

I am also looking for the best place to stay and cheapest options. Does anyone have any ideas this would be really appreciated. Am thinking of staying at my sis place in Barnes but anywhere closer would be great and also with other new cabin crews would be awesome.

Thanks much Jo x :hmm:

blueskybird
20th Aug 2007, 12:12
hey every1,

im currently in the process of preparing for my interview in sept, and i know i should study up on BA business info, but ive been on the BA website and there's just so much information :bored::bored:
if anyone could shed a bit more light on what types of things they'd like you to know it would be much appreciated!!!

many thanks,
x blueskybird x ;)

Off Stand
20th Aug 2007, 13:57
Jwilli11, Hanger 6 is at LGW, so double check where you will have to be for your training.

icepie
20th Aug 2007, 14:03
Blueskybird,

Good luck with your interview. One of the questions I was asked, regarding business issues, was what did I think the upcoming challenges BA face in the future. My reply was about the move to terminal five in March 2008 and the preparation for this. I also mentioned the deregulation of competition and what open skies would mean for the industry. Hope this might help a bit.

Another BIG tip- when you do the group exercise, take a mental note of the others names, you may be asked at a later stage what they were!!:}

IP

blueskybird
20th Aug 2007, 15:31
cheers for the advice and info icepie. :ok::ok: i will certainly get on the case to research these topics!!
does anybody know what routes will replace the dallas and housten lh routes once they go to lhr next march?? :rolleyes:

x x blueskybird x x

:p

jwilli11
21st Aug 2007, 08:49
Yep checked and its Hangor 6 LGW good job you mentioned that I thought it was all at Cranebank. Gatwick here I come... Is anyone else out there starting training on monday 8th October long/short haul lgw would be great to chat about where to stay and stuff have started looking at the CD Rom it all very exciting. Also anyone else out there living in bournemouth and working for BA? It looks like there is a lot to learn b4 starting ? xx :)

HZ123
21st Aug 2007, 09:58
Be aware of the possible break up of the BAA with LGW a potential sales target and what effect that will have on UK aviation. Also Look into the 757 operation to the US from mainland EU. Make sure you know all about 'Oneworld' and its members and objectives. You can always introduce this and impress.

batriple7
21st Aug 2007, 10:28
I am due to start my course at LGW as CC on 8th Oct. As yet I have had not received any cd rom or letter stating where we should meet on the 8th. Who can I contact regarding this and the BIG issue here is I am relocating countries and accepted the 8th October but feel I may not have wrapped up everything here.

Does anyone know if after accepting you can phone and opt for the next course without prjejudicing your chances.

Many thanks

tinks.
21st Aug 2007, 17:45
hey jwilli11 im too starting on 8th oct for lh/sh lgw! so excited 7 weeks yesterday! ;)

jwilli11
22nd Aug 2007, 08:38
Hiya Tinks, are u new to cabin crew this is completly new to me am v xcited have u organised accom? have been reading a bit about the money doesn't sound that great but i think u never know until you actually give it a shot yourself besides this sitting behind a desk 9-5 is so dullllll..........

Look forward to meeting you 7 weeks time :) Jo

jwilli11
22nd Aug 2007, 08:45
Hi batriple7, i am starting on monday 8th Oct also i would advise calling this number 0870 60 80 747 and ask for the CD ROM and criminial record check and offer letter as i think you will also need this for day one. You could also drop an email to [email protected]

Hope this helps see you in 7 weeks. Jo :)

eneleda
24th Aug 2007, 09:55
Hi i'm really keen to get into BA,i'm currently working in a regional airline and had been waiting for BA's opening in Singapore. Anyone have ideas when will that be?

ccboy
26th Aug 2007, 11:12
Hi everyone! Im quite new here as i only joined this forum yesterday!! Im currently cc at LGW but managed to get an interview with BA... Could anyone plz let me and any other ppl how the day goes and any possible questions???? THxxxxx :)

ccboy
27th Aug 2007, 12:59
Hi Ams! As im in gatwick ill prob get the heathrow express bus to the interview, but how can i find out how to get to Cranebank from LHR?? THanksss x

Jabejaha
27th Aug 2007, 15:06
CCBoy,

If you log into your candidate page on the britishairwaysjobs.com site, then click on the interview time, it will take you to a page that gives you directions to Cranebank and The Rivers. If you're getting the bus to LHR, then you can get on one of the FREE buses to Hatton Cross, 285, 555, 556 and 557. (These buses run within the Heathrow Airport Free Flow Fare Zone). Once at Hatton Cross, it's just a case of getting on the BA4 Staff Shuttle bus that runs about every 10 minutes. Hope his helps.

AJccwannabe
28th Aug 2007, 13:42
hi everybody,

I have an interview at LHR on monday 3rd sept for premanent LGW cabin crew and was wondering if any existing cc member could give me a heads up on what to expect in the interview?

I'm soooooo excited and REALLY want the job as it's my dream...it'd b great if anyone could help me be more prepared and have the answers to everything!!!:ok:

Hope to hear from you helpful peeps soon! thanks :D

AJ

clippy pic
29th Aug 2007, 10:40
Hello all,

Passed my interview back in May and still in the hold pool. Does anybody know what the actual situation is? BA has offered to put me in hold pool for mixed fleet out of LGW!! Not exactly helpful since i live next to heathrow and might not get that job either!!

I used to work at BA a few years ago and my partner still does. Through various channels i.ve been told so far that probably nothing will happen this finacial year, in which case my interview pass will become invalid. Why on earth did BA bother wasting money interviewing me then accepting me?!

Also does anyboby know if there is a possibility of going longhaul (LHR) instead or is there an internal holdpool as well? ( i know this to be the case for new pursers on eurofleet which has peed off a lot of people!)

Any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Philip

Londonphilou
29th Aug 2007, 11:18
Hi Phillip,
As you know already, our offer is valid for one year that is up to May 2008. Although it has been said that no course until the end of the financial year, that will be March 2008 I think. Rest assured, I have heard that there will be LHR courses by the end of this year or at the beginning of the New Year. I know its frustrating and there are a lot like you and me in the same situation. BA wont let us go wasted.

clippy pic
29th Aug 2007, 11:50
just had a chat with a BA cabin crew manager, sadly had nothing good to say.

Basically BA's business plan has apparently changed since our interview, heathrow is now no longer needed, there is however a large shortfall out of LGW. Also said that it was very possible that pass date would expire. This is from a friend so he was certainly not glossing over the truth!

I just think that BA's whole recruitment process needs looking at, they go on and on about their Business plan, cost saving, Ready for T5 etc... yet they could surely save money by recruiting more efficiently.

GODDESS OF DAWN
29th Aug 2007, 11:55
Hang in there and stay positive I have a feeling that the New Year will bring us all good news. I am also still waiting for LHR EF course.

clippy pic
29th Aug 2007, 12:22
hi dawn,

I would like to be positive too, believe me. My biggest regret is leaving BA 7 years ago and now going through all this!

Though what are you basing the good news in the new year on??

Londonphilou
29th Aug 2007, 12:38
I think if they wont need any more staff at Heathrow they have a duty to tell us now or some time soon. The worst could happen is we all will have to go to LGW. Its a bit premature to think about that, yet realisticly speaking our turn should come after the LGW and WW(Temp) courses have been done which will be in Nov and Dec. So ours could be in Dec or early next year.

clippy pic
29th Aug 2007, 12:47
I agree, the only reason i know anything at all is because i know people at BA, sending an e-mail saying you are in a holding pool and then nothing else (ie updates etc...) is bad on their part.

Sadly LGW is not really a consideration for me, firstly they operate mixed fleet (long and short haul), secondly the commute would be awful for early starts or late finish. Due to young family and living near heathrow this really would not suit me. At a push i would go longhaul heathrow but only if the possibility arose to go eurofleet afterwards.

I really hope it all sorts itself out. who knows we might end up training together!! :)

kikko
29th Aug 2007, 13:44
Hi everybody...still swimming..

I don't think BA really care about "the duty of informing us on what they recruitment/course dates, plans will be".
Probably they don't fully know themseves anyway.
The end of financial year is end of march 2008 by which time they will have to make they mind up pretty quickly in order to offer us dates before we ...pass the sell by date....if what said it's not true and they will need people before the end of financ. year, it might be possible they will offer us courses at the begining of next year...The mutter is that at the moment there is really nothing which indicates that this is the case....:( so we can just hope things turn the right way.

Philip

I don't think for a moment they BA would offer LHR WW to us external on a permanent basis, if anything theye might offer us a temp contract (though very unlikely).
Rearding the cost of recruiting more efficiently etc., what logically could seem to be a "waste" might not be it at all when it comes to accounts.
Even the decision of not recruiting befere the end of financial year it may make a lot of sense when balancing a profit and loss accounts....
I already got used to the idea that for BA we are just numbers, actually we might one day just become numbers, however still thinki it's well worthy if we talk LHR.

In other words there are so many issues which could influence a decision other than the real need for staff.

It would be a real help if some of you who work at LHR coud share some information on what's going on ....THANK YOU!!!

clippy pic
29th Aug 2007, 14:01
good summary of the situation :ugh:

flyerlad
29th Aug 2007, 17:10
Hi... i'm a selector at BA.
Unfortunately BA is a business... and yes at time we do over recruit, thats just the way the business is! there is really nothing wrong with the selection process... its all due to operational requirments and now we need heads in LGW! I do understand your frustration regard the holding pool, but look at it from a business point of view and BA's point of view!

I'm sure if you have been recruited first time round and would have to go thru a second in interview you shouldn't have any problems getting it second time round!

747-436
29th Aug 2007, 18:00
I have heard that there are people employed at LHR as BA ground staff who were successful in getting cabin crew and offered courses for LHR Eurofleet this summer only to be told by their bosses they couldn't leave the terminals until the end of the summer as it would create staff shortages there.

Now they are stuck in the hold pools with everyone else!!

skywatch77
29th Aug 2007, 18:34
It is very frustrating but remember there is an LHR course going on right now and I read on here a few months back saying, BA will never recruit again for LHR, well they did. I'm going to wait, if the worst comes to the worst, then we all go to LGW but I bet we won't have to.

clippy pic
29th Aug 2007, 18:35
Hello Flyerlad,

Thanks for your blunt and direct response, it would have been most appreciated if that was made clear at the interview stage. Instead i got a lovely member of cabin crew and a slide show telling me how wonderful and rosy everything is, she also mentioned that if succesful we would most probably start in September. Such a shame that she was not aware of the BA business plan. Then again perhaps she is now flying out of Gatwick!

:rolleyes:

skywatch77
29th Aug 2007, 18:39
Clippypc. I would take everything you read on here that is negative with a pinch of salt. Alot of scaremongering here. I bet no one really knows anything for certain, but I bet if BA didn't need us at LHR at some point in the future we would have been offered LGW and told to take because that is it.

kikko
29th Aug 2007, 21:01
Hi Flyerland

thaks for your response.
Just quoting you on:

"I'm sure if you have been recruited first time round and would have to go thru a second in interview you shouldn't have any problems getting it second time round!"

By the sound of it seems that the possibility of never be offered a course for EF is actually a reality. Is this what you are trying to say?

Though I agree with skywatch77:
"I bet no one really knows anything for certain,"

It would be really helpful if BA recruitment would let us know sooner rather than later, particularly for those people who would not accept LGW as an alternative, so that they could move on.
After all, though I understand BA is a business and makes its decision accordingly, I still think that if EF courses will never be offered I would expect BA would take the time to let us know......

Floaty
29th Aug 2007, 23:38
Gosh you guys are sweatting...

I work in Eurofleet at LHR. I was offered transfers to LHR Worldwide twice in the last 3 years. A secondment to the old LGW WW at first, with the option to transfer back to LHR WW, then the formal transfer to LHR WW about a year ago. People move, promotions happen.

The problem in BA is manpower. These guys can't ever get it right. I was offered to apply for unpaid leave about a month ago. I had the option to ask between 3 and 12 months, starting from October. I applied for 3 as I have a mortgage. Now, 2 people work job-share in that office where the decision is being made: one says I have been unsuccessful and those who applied for the full year got it by seniority, whilst the other person said nobody got unpaid leave yet and no decision has been made. The other joke happened last year when LGW WW crew were to be transfered to LHR. Junior EF LHR crew were told there would be no chance to transfer to longhaul at least for a couple of years... well well... two months later they were ringing people at home on their days off to offer them an immediate course. Finally, when short of crew, they 'manipulate' training courses as they are pleased. You join to be told you'll be working for Eurofleet, you train on the 320 and the next day someone comes into the classroom to tell you they are short on the 777 and there you go!

I could go on and on and on.... don't get me wrong, BA is still a very decent employer compared to the junk out there, yet they are, as a recruiter mentioned earlier, a BUSINESS... and we are numbers...

Alas personal situations are NOT considered. THey will give you what they've got when they've got it. Suits you? Ok you're in. Doesn't? Ok then. Bye or wait.

I read your posts and I see myself years back. Unfortunately, without wanting to discourage anybody, the reality is a bit harsher than one thinks. Yes we have lovely uniforms and we go places, but that's about it. We spend a lot of time apologising for the crap service we are left to give, after all the cost cutting that has taken place. We see our profits going to top management and our employees bonus scheme based on punctuality, which is impossible to achieve. The sense of pride is gone down the drain. I wish you guys could read our company forum and our Union magazine. MOrale is low and Willie Walsh ain't the answer I'm afraid. This job is NOT what it used to be anymore. Pay and conditions are becoming worse by the day. People who joined before 1997 are paid twice as much as those who joined after and this is 'acceptable'. New policies like EG300 have created resentment as we are managed by people who do not fly other than as passengers on staff/duty travel and assume that your sickness levels should be the same as someone working in an office. This is outrageous.

I could go on an on but I can see already what the next post is gona be like: 'If you're not happy, just leave...' Aaaaahhhh....

So... my 2 cents now... If you've got a decent job or a decent income, or you have to make a decision about studying further, please please please don't hold your breath waiting for your fantastic career as cabin crew. The problem is not how to get in, but how to get out and move on! :sad:

And finally, if despite all this you are still considering joining, then may I suggest you opt for EF LHR. I have NEVER come across anybody who said they are glad they went to LGW! (Sorry guys in LGW)
Our colleagues in LGW have nicknamed Heathrow the 'golden runway', based on the fact that LHR crew allowances are MUCH MUCH higher than LGW. Yes it may take you 2 years to transfer to longhaul, but the difference in money is likely to be 40%.

kikko
30th Aug 2007, 08:02
Floaty thank you for you honest answer, and taking the time to give us your view form the inside.
I understand 100% your point, many of us wait to join BA with great expectations later to find out that it may not be so rosey afterall, and that things change over time often not for the best.
I agree that BA LHR is still most probably the best employer at the moment in this industry, and this is why you are still there spite being a bit disilluded.
It 's great that people like yourself could from time to time, respond to our many questions on this forum.:)

clippy pic
30th Aug 2007, 09:46
Hello Floaty,

Thanks for your response, as kikko stated, a realistic and genuine answer is much appreciated.

Sadly from the BA crew that i know your opinions seem to be expressed by many.

I still travel on staff tickets, hence i get the opportunity to fly more than most, and i must say that 95% of the time the crew do a very good job considering all that's going on at BA, often it is the passengers who suffer and the front line staff who have to make the difference. :D

Londonphilou
30th Aug 2007, 12:36
I flew with BA on Tuesday from GVA to LHR and I talked to 2 crew members. They told me that they have been short of staff and they think the LHR should be running again some time soon. When? its anybody's guess! :oh:

clippy pic
30th Aug 2007, 12:40
Don't forget they may not be taking into account the training courses going on at the mo. Either way we shall see, as stated earlier if we all end up on the same course i'll bring the champagne :)

GODDESS OF DAWN
30th Aug 2007, 15:17
Floaty many thanks for your frank answer.
Personally I think that if there weren't going to be LHR EF courses in the future, all of us in the hold pool would have been offered LGW as an alternative before BA started recruiting externally, which has'nt been the case. So I think that there is still some hope for us. :hmm:
Hanging by a thread..... hopefull CC

Londonphilou
30th Aug 2007, 16:16
Lets not talk about any alternative..he he..:)
We applied for LHR SH and thats what we will expect to go to. So far we have not been told anything else. So we just have to wait.

clippy pic
30th Aug 2007, 17:01
Strange, do you mean you have not been offered LGW?? they offered it to me twice.

Londonphilou
31st Aug 2007, 02:52
Yes I was offered LGW only once but declined it. What I meant was lets hope we don't get offered LGW again.

GODDESS OF DAWN
31st Aug 2007, 08:59
No I wasn't offered LGW and I know others that are in the hold-pool that weren't either. Even if I was offered LGW I would not accept it because I will be commuting and it's not convenient from that airport. :}
Eternally LHR EF hopeful CC.

UFGBOY
31st Aug 2007, 12:24
Got intvw for LGW next week - with the routes that are going up t'road (IAH/DFW) is that not going to leave LGW over crewed?

Obviuously I hope not but just wondered what the rationale was behind recruiting for a base that will need less staff?

TVM

Londonphilou
31st Aug 2007, 12:33
Good point there but they were already very short of staff recently. Don't think it will be overcrewed. Instead they might even still be a bit short!

newbagr
31st Aug 2007, 15:05
plus what you seem to forget is that BA has officially said that they are looking to replace the IAH and DFW with shorthaul routes which will be coming from LHR EF therefore explains the lack of need for LHR EF crew and unpaid leave! and its not just rumours its official comments from really senior managers on intrernal post and forums.

Londonphilou
31st Aug 2007, 16:33
With those 2 new routes, they will need more WW staff and with people transferring from SH to WW, SH will be also be short too. Its just a vicious circle in the end. Whichever way you look at it, BA always needs new staff as things change so quickly. There is a good reason why the job offer is valid for a year.

Tiiiger
31st Aug 2007, 17:12
When was the last time BA recruited straight into LHR WW on permanent contract?

WeLieInTheShadows
31st Aug 2007, 18:50
About 9 years ago. Any recruitment will be to EFLHR only or LGW. No more direct entry into WWLHR (unless it's temp), unions won't have it (neither will the crew).
More crew are needed at LGW to acccount for natural wasteage that has occured and impending transfer of maincrew to EFLHR in November.
When the routes go to LHR in March LGW will indeed be overcrewed in all grades.
My guess is either a raft or part-time offers, tranfers to WW and EFLHR , even unpaid leave.
That's just my guess of course.
Will be interesting times. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet on more transfers, probably to EFLHR.
By this time the new transfer agreement within the NSP will be agreed between LGW and LHR.

Tiiiger
31st Aug 2007, 19:48
Nine years ago, thank you.

What about LGW WW and recruitment there straight into? Were they transferred to LHR WW or first to EF?

Floaty
1st Sep 2007, 06:57
Sorry to disagree but only very few LHR EF slots may be used to cover those american slots ex LGW. I understand that BA kept some slots ex BMed following its sale to BMI. I don't believe EF LHR recruitment to be directly linked to the IAH and DFW changes, yet I must admit I don't have all the facts.

Regarding the need for more WW crew in LHR, about 30-40 LGW crew are being transfered to LHR WW to balance manpower. The rest may be covered by PSR working down and some LHR EF transfers. BA have also replaced few crew ex LHR with extra International Cabin Crew on Indian routes, freeing more LHR WW main crew.

LondonPhilou, you say it right: things change very quickly and those who did not get 'the call' yet will probabily find out very soon anyway.

For those who can't wait, Qantas Cabin Crew London Ltd (not the real Qantas but close enough) are recruiting all the time. They have a very decent product, nice bunch, fab 74's, although money is not quite comparable to BA (but always worth the experience). Promotions are faster too, especially if you are already experienced crew, since they are based on merit rather than seniority. They would be my next choice if BA or NetJet were to show me the boot. I guess it's a matter of not letting your eggs rot in the same basket... Check the next best (or less worse)!

Ciao.

BA Boi
1st Sep 2007, 12:42
Floaty:

TOTALLY incorrect about 30/40 LGW crew transferring to WW LHR. they are going to E U R O F L E E T LHR in november.

we've more than enough slots to play around with and re-jigg at LHR to accommodate these IAH and DFW routes that come up in the spring - by getting rid of a couple of shorthaul routes and sending them down to LGW. which is exactly what is happening.

also, BA didn't just "... keep some slots..." (weren't 'ours' to keep, btw) - they BROUGHT 55-odd slots from BMI after they took over BMed. they will come into effect in 2009, with the delivery of the first of the new growth and replacement longhaul aircraft.

skywatch77
1st Sep 2007, 13:03
I bet none of those posts above are correct. Want BA news? then check their website or phone recruitment. I take everything I read on here with a pinch of salt. I used to use this website for reliable information but hardly anything i've read is accurate.:ugh:

sweety
1st Sep 2007, 17:30
PPruNe - Professional Pilots Rumour Network. Says it all, really! ;-)

GODDESS OF DAWN
3rd Sep 2007, 13:50
Thanks for your update. Glad to see that u are doing well in the course.
Just one thing though, now that u are there, is there any swimming involved?

Thanks. Keep us posted.

skywatch77
3rd Sep 2007, 17:40
Well done AMS, sounds like you are getting on just fine. Can't wait to start my training. I check my phone every hour or two!!

Good luck with the rest of the course.

dj_deckchair
3rd Sep 2007, 17:51
hey folks, this is my first post on here and forgive me if my question has been answered before and/or is stupid...

do you get paid while on the 5 week cc course LGW?

i should probably know this already but don't.

had my interview last week and am yet to hear from BA...
anybody eles hear back yet?

dj_deckchair
3rd Sep 2007, 17:57
thanks AMS to the rescue once more!

GODDESS OF DAWN
3rd Sep 2007, 19:33
Many thanks for your reply, you have no idea how much it helps to know what to expect. I'm not a bad swimmer but i'm worried about the "life raft" bit, hope I can manage that part. :hmm:

Looking forward to any more info you can provide, so if you have time don't forget us.

THANX

Tiiiger
4th Sep 2007, 08:40
I need to get in touch with BA CC. Could you please PM me as I need some information on getting into the different fleets?

Thanks!

Flower Duet.
5th Sep 2007, 14:06
Just received email that I got LGWSF :),
But I have been put in a holding pool till further notice.

So you guys in holding Pools at LHREF, don't worry we are all in the same boat. And BA is a bussiness, so fingers crossed what happends next ;) .

Flower Duet.
5th Sep 2007, 16:58
I'm so excited to work for British Airways :)

P.S Do you like my screen name ?

Londonphilou
6th Sep 2007, 00:54
Ams-LHR, how many people are in your group? And have you got your first rota yet? Got to bid already?

Flower Duet.
6th Sep 2007, 13:54
Just a question, If your in the holding pool do they call you when a course comes up ? or do they email you and request you go onto the BA Website and choose the dates you prefer ?

Thank-you :)

kikko
6th Sep 2007, 15:06
If you are waiting in the holding poole, they will telephone you (never email you) to offer you a course, so it is important that you keep your phone with you and you check it, if you don't answer the call they leave a message and then they carry on calling other people, (presumibly in order of their interview date:confused:)
It is a bit the case of first come first served.

Hope your wait is going to be a short one:)

Flower Duet.
6th Sep 2007, 15:22
Got my my mobile on full volume now. :ok:

batriple7
6th Sep 2007, 17:54
Hello Everyone.

Just interested to know how many people will be on the same course as I am on 8th October. So far I have picked up pepito.perez , jwilli11 and tinks. Cant wait to meet you all and so excited to start. Time is passing very quickly and looks like soooooo much work to be done but fun.

I finally received the cd rom, the welcome letter they talk about is that the one we received on email when we were offered the job. Congratulations.........etc.

Has everyone managed to find accomodation yet. Where does one start ?

I also havent got the crew card application form, where do we get that and lastly if one does not reside in the Uk do they get police clearance from their own country or do we still go through disclosure Scotland.

Sorry for all the questions.......:)

pepito.perez
6th Sep 2007, 19:39
Hi all!

Batriple7, finally you got it!!. Excellent!
Well, I'm still waiting for the whole package. I believe they have sent it to the wrong address, so I'm waiting for it to be re-sent to the right one.

About accommodation I feel a bit lost as well, I don't even know how to get started. But I'm pretty sure everything will be ok for us.

Hope to see you soon in LGW!

Cheers!

GODDESS OF DAWN
6th Sep 2007, 23:53
Hi Pepito Pérez,

I picked up a few webs with accommodation info on the net, hope it helps your search.

http://www.shortstayuk.com/crew-share-index.htm

http://www.gatwickcrewaccommodation.com/index.htm

http://www.crewshare.co.uk/apartment.html

Good luck to all of you starting at LGW SF. :ok:
I'm still waiting in the hold pool for LHR EF course. :bored:

Regards

pepito.perez
7th Sep 2007, 06:33
Thank you so much for such an useful info!!!. You are an angel!!

I handed my notice already to my current company, so the countdown has started for me. I'm gonna dive into those websites 100%. I really need that info.

I wish you the best of luck with everything that is going on at your current base and also with the holding pool. Some cabin crew based in LHR keep on saying that they are still short of crew, so hopefully you will get the phone call very soon.

Thank you again for all!.

Cheers!

blueskybird
7th Sep 2007, 15:10
hi every1,
well im glad to report that I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!! HOORAY!! :}:}:}
had my interview on weds, got the email saying i got the job on thurs, and got offered a course date for (5th nov) today, how efficient is that:ok:
unfortunately i have a very important holiday booked in nov and so i cant go on that course....absolutely gutted, but the lady in recruitment was lovely and told me just to make sure i phone them when i get back in dec and to keep checking to hear if there are any more courses for dec/jan.

if there are any crew who commute to work via public transport in LGW could you please tell me how much a month you set aside for this as i might get rid of my car when i come down to LGW. Many thanks in advance for any info.

cant believe im going to be working for BRITISH AIRWAYS...the creme de la creme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers,
x x blueskybird x x ;)

Londonphilou
7th Sep 2007, 15:50
Blueskybird, if I was you I would take the course NOW!! Thats only if you really want LGW of course. There's no guarantee when you come back you will get a LGW course in Jan/Feb. I have also a long holiday booked in October and if I get my LHR course during that time I am happy to give up the holiday as I have been waiting over 3 months now. They are doing the LGW courses now as they are very short of crew and come Jan / Feb there's no guarantee there will be LGW course and you might be up for a long wait. If they do run LHR course during that time then they might offer you LHR instead, unless you dont mind waiting for LGW. Have a good think about it.

Flower Duet.
7th Sep 2007, 15:56
I have my course on the 12th November , but I have friends still waiting for courses at LHREF (5 Months).

If you really want BA, you should take it and holidays you can take anytime and on the plus side u could use your staff travel.

Don't waste time :)

SuperBoy
8th Sep 2007, 08:33
I would suggest that if you are offered a course you take it (if it is the base you want, ofcourse :) )

I don't think all you new joiners quite understand that EVERYTHING in ba is seniority based. So the longer you put it off the lower your seniority is.

Just a thought but when you eventually join it will become crystal clear and you'll kick yourself for not having joined sooner.

Good luck and congratz to you all though. :)

Flower Duet.
8th Sep 2007, 13:06
Hi,

just a little Question, and please be as honest :)
What would my roster look like for December ?

Thanks Guys !!

http://www.upgradetobritishairways.ba.com/

Very Nice Advert.

Flower Duet.
8th Sep 2007, 15:07
As crew we know that December is a very important
Month, and I know that I would'nt be sitting on the beach in ANU/BGI etc.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6s2c-l5-uo

Just wanted some ideas from a LGWSF crew member to answer in a joking manner for example i'll be doing Airport STBY, What are the chances i'll be on a long haul trip :ok:

Thanks!!

SuperBoy
8th Sep 2007, 17:23
There is no SH that departs on xmas day. However there are some long haul. Last year there were 3 LH flights that departed on xmas day.

There are a few probabilities:
1. You will arrive back from somewhere on the 24th. (Short Haul)
2. You will arrive back from somewhere on the 25th. (Long haul)
3. You will go somewhere on the 24th and land back on the 26th. (Short haul)
4. Depart on the 24th, 25th or 26th for a trip anywhere from 3 days - 7 days.

There is a bidding pack that all the crew get whereby you can choose which flights you'd like to over xmas and new year. However it is only a preference and by no means mean that you will actually get it.

In short you can tell them what you would prefer but you get what your given and it can be anything.

Hope this helps a little and welcome to LGW :)

Flower Duet.
8th Sep 2007, 17:35
Thanks for the Information :ok:

Just another Questions what is the crew ratio on the following Aircraft 777/737 and are we getting the A320 down at LGW ?

Does the 737 have flop down screens ?

DC-10
8th Sep 2007, 21:23
Hi flowerduet - congratulations :D

The 777 has either 10 or 11 crew depending on whether it is a 3 class or 4 class route (coming back from Tampa this morning we had 10 crew as it didn't have first class. One cabin manager, one purser and 8 main crew) - the 737 has a minimum of 3 crew which tends to be the norm unless the club loads are higher when you get a 4th crew member. LGW have the A319 but I am not on it yet and more are coming apparantly to replace the older 737's. No drop down screens on the 737 (if only!).

As for trips - well as a new crew member I didn't expect to see the caribbean for ages but have got 2 Barbados trips this month and this was my first month of bidding!

Enjoy!

Flower Duet.
8th Sep 2007, 21:46
Thank you so much for all the answers and congrats,

I'm really looking forward to working with you all :)

SuperBoy
8th Sep 2007, 23:11
I'm on the airbus aswell and you always have 4 crew onboard the A319.

When you get trained on the airbus you get converted onto the A319, A320 and A321 but to be honest you will only see the A319 at LGW.

luksy
8th Sep 2007, 23:19
Hi SuperBoy

After my Face2Face just recently, management are considering even A320 and A321 for LGW, as the loads have gone up for LGW...so watch that space...you just never know with BA

cheers all

L.

lovethesky
9th Sep 2007, 19:23
yes there are departures on xmas day at lhr euro, but not that many
no a321 for lgw, they are going to lhr and then lhr are loosing some a319s to lgw

Matt101
9th Sep 2007, 20:29
Hi Guys,

AMS - LHR glad your enjoying your EF course - bet you can't wait to be online!!!

In other news - I noticed A LOT of speculation about the offering of LHR EF courses, now I'm not sayign it won't happen - the company have said that before and it still did happen as there was operational need for it and LGW has yet to finalise a transfer agreement for LHR with the TU's but I thought I'd offer some information - This is not rumour but information from an IR day I had recently with managers - they call it face to face.

New Entrants at LGW - we are still short of crew and will need them to cover the gaps covered currently by Titan Airlines Sub Flights and Rest Day Working, however summer is nearly at an end (thank the lord) so I imagine the strain will start to wear off soon anyway.

IAH/DFW move to LHR - at this point we will likely have some 250 - 300 crew more than we need (yes 3 777's on daily flights need this many crew!) At LHR more crew are needed to cover these flights as 1. they get higher crewing levels anyway and 2. they have to have more days off than us. This will result in open spaces at LHR WW and I'd imagine these will be filled by LHR EF. This then leaves a gap at LHR EF and a surplus at Gatwick Fleet, however by March when this all happens, the Ops & Choice framework will be finalised at LGW and (if we all read out contracts correctly) the Senior Crew at LGW should have first dibs on those spaces (EF) before externals - indeed the manager we had said as much and she expected 250 crew at least to move "up the road" at that time.

New 777's arrive at BA in 2009 - Now there is much talk of slot space at LHR and the room it has but the more pressing fact is that LHR terminals are saturated - T5 alone will already not accomodate our entire operation (757 fleet and some Aussie routes will depart T3). Fleet Managers at LGW expect new "leisure" long haul routes to arrive at LGW at this point consolidating the leesure routes there and more business/profitable routes at LHR.

At this point we'll recruit to LGW again I would imagine (if it does happen)

Open Skies - point to point Europe to the states - how will it be operated and who will - if It's UK based crew you can bet your bottom dollar that the company would pick the cheaper crew.

OPS & Choice to be finalised at LGW during winter 07 - at this point we gain the right to transfer, moreover our seniority will be higher than anyone joining after us (after october 06 when we joined NSP) so in actuality if the list for transfers is seniority based, as everything at BA is, you may be better joing LGW now than LHR EF later if your ultimate goal is LHR WW as your seniority will be higher.

EF was only offered externally due to no OPS & Choice at LGW - if they bypassed us when it is in place then the company would have A LOT of angry people on their hands.

The gist of my very long post is this - if you want to Join BA - take what they offer you straight away - I applied for EF got it then things changed and I ended up at LGW - don't cling onto that application as a right to go to EF.

I'm sure at some point some courses may well open up for external LHR - but do you risk waiting to fall off the end of your year? or losing the seniority of an entire year if you are planning on LHR WW?

Both bases are great to work at (I've done them both with BA) and yes the money is less at LGW but this for thought - I net the same ammount each month now as I have learned to live within my means, and at LGW we are a bit "tighter" when it comes to money - but we still have a very very good time - just for less money (got to Holister instead of A&F for example when your in the mall).

The wages are not appaling; my bottom line (ie what I put in the bank) is always around 1500 a month and I am very Junior.

Take the job don't hold out and regret it and don't let people put you off - it's an exciting time at the company right now!

galanjal
9th Sep 2007, 20:40
anyone else out there losing hope that we will ever get a start date? had my interview in May and still waiting! I know ba is a business but I really expected more contact to those of us waiting. even just an automatic reply each month might be nice

galanjal
9th Sep 2007, 20:56
very suprised you take home £1500 a month. my many friends who are leaving have not cleared a grand a month. and they have been at LGW for a couple of years and beyond

Matt101
10th Sep 2007, 04:04
Hey AmS-LHR your right I should clarify as I really don't want to put a negative spin on it,

I whole heartedly expect external places to LHR EF (those in the holding pool with first dibs on this) but my main point was don't necessarily expect it to be soon with so much change or loads if you are waiting to apply in the first place - Hold out if you want to but if you want to work at the company take what your given as you never know what might come later - I waited nearly a year in the holding pool and If I'd waited for an EF LHR external to come along my application would have expired and I wouldn't be working for BA at a time when I think, despite what some say, the future could be really good!

The thing is LGW is NOT as bad as what people say - granted it's not as lucrative as LHR but, for a job as crew, it is still a fair wage to start on and, not meaning to sound negative, if you are young and don't hold any professional qualifications you couldn't go wrong picking it as a first job.

like with anything in life it's getting on the ladder that's the hard bit, thereafter you are already in the right place.

As for someone else saying their surprised I net 1500, well, I do..... sometimes it's a bit shy say 1400 sometimes it's a bit better, however, I self fund completely when down route and don't access my allowances so they all go into my pay packet - I think it should really be impossible for ppl at LGW not to clear even 1000 unless they are bidding badly or not taking into account the use of their crew card to pre access wages (not making an accusation I have just never met someone who earns that little).

Anyway for all of you out there in the holding pool - wait for as logn as you feel you can but in the long run if it get's to the point where your application is nearly over and all that's available is LGW please please go for it, it's really a great place to work.

AMS-LHR, CST those were the days! you'll be on your FAM flight before you knwo it chucking out the glamour! Well we try anyway!

x

VS-LHRCSA
10th Sep 2007, 09:50
Looks like there's something in the works. BA are now recruiting for temps at LHR again. 11 month contracts on longhaul.

cabincrewindian
10th Sep 2007, 12:01
Could anyone help me with the following

1) How do we apply for CC, I am an Indian, do they hire people other than British?
2) Any info about their assesment days in India?

VS-LHRCSA
10th Sep 2007, 13:19
They do have Indian based crew but recruitment is very rare for this and competition is very high. You're probably better off trying airlines like Jet and Kingfisher, who have big expansion plans.

Matt101
10th Sep 2007, 15:00
"Looks like there's something in the works. BA are now recruiting for temps at LHR again. 11 month contracts on longhaul."

I think this was expected - a lot of ground based staff who lost their jobs in recent base closures were given this contract first with many saying it would be offered externally. They always need crew.

If you can handle the uncertainty of what happens after the 11 months - go for it, it's a real chance to sample the best BA has to offer. (If you like longhaul! :) ) They found something for us temps from last year so nothing to say they won't this time - Don't expect to stay in LHR WW though - I'm not saying it wouldn't happen but I think there is a Union problem if that were to happen.

San fran, Bankok, Jo'burg, Cape Town, New York - you could see all those places and more in 11 months! and you'll be amongst the first people to grace T5.

Good luck for anyone who gos for it!

BABOBO
10th Sep 2007, 16:32
Hi All,

This is my first post on here after reading this forum for months. I am BA Cabin Crew at LGW and have to say, I totally agree with Matts posts. Well said, and I think it is a solid advice.

A bit of info for all the people in the holding pool for EF LHR..... My partner is in the holding pool since May. When he saw today that BA is offering LHR WW on a temp contract for 11 months he contacted BA recruitment to enquire if he would be eligible for this contract. The girl who answered the phone wasn't quit sure, but he was called back within the hour by a lady from BA who informed him he is eligible. Training will probably start in December, but he will be contacted by BA in the next 2 to 3 weeks for an exact startdate. She also stressed the fact that there was no job guarantee at the end of the 11 months but also said things often change at BA (don't we all know ;)). Further, she also said that BA isn't planning any New Entrant courses for LHR EF until at least April 2008!!! So depending on how many people there are in this holding pool, your number on the list in the pool, or indeed the courses actually starting in April 2008 and the number of courses, people might well miss out!!!

I know that anything can happen with BA (I speak from 3 years experience with the Company), but my advice to people in the holding pool would also be.... go for LGW or try to get the temp contract on LHR WW. I think that in BA we are at the beginning of a lot of exciting change, both for LGW and LHR. So don't miss the boat!!!

Best regards to all and happy flying!!!

galanjal
10th Sep 2007, 17:01
thats interesting info. I've been in the holdpool since May too and am getting less hopeful each day of getting a start date. now thinking that I might give them a call tomorrow to see if I can be considered for the temp longhaul contract.

Ben Asher
10th Sep 2007, 18:32
Me too (have been in the Pool since May). I've had a search but can't find any thread, so can any current WW crew please post their roster for this month, so I can get an idea of what might be involved. Many thanks!

Londonphilou
10th Sep 2007, 18:47
I suppose there won't be any ground to argue if comes at the end of the 11 month contract, not even a transfer to LGW is being offered. Right?
Its tempting but risking not getting a permanent position afterwards can be a bad move esp for people who need a regular income to pay mortgage etc.

Off Stand
10th Sep 2007, 21:04
If you do decide to take the temp 11 month contract and are lucky enough to be offered LGW afterwards, I believe you LOSE your seniority as you go from a temp to a new perm contract. I am sure that this happened last summer, but happy to be corrected.

I'm so excited!
10th Sep 2007, 21:07
Hello Everyone!

My name's Kayti and I've just been given a start date for Gatwick Cabin Crew- 15 Oct! I can't wait to start and meet everyone! I was just wondering if anyone else is starting the course (LGW49) on the same day?

It's great to see everyone is so friendly and helpful on here- looking forwad to getting to know u better! I hope everyone that I met on my interview got through!

x

Flower Duet.
11th Sep 2007, 06:26
Hi Kayti ,
Congratulations on getting British Airways, Like yourself I start this year 12th November :)

It's funny I have been flying for 9 years and I don't think I have every been more happy to work for an Airline as amazing as British Airways.

And you have started your career with the best Airline
out there and I have worked for a few ;) "Trust me"

once again congrats !!

kikko
11th Sep 2007, 09:30
Hi

I have contacted BA asking about the possibility of being offered a secondmenet to LHR WW as I am in the EF holding poole.
He said that secondment wasn't an option (....:( that was just my wishful thinking...) however if I wanted I could choose to go on a Temporary contract to LHR WW taking all the risk of not being offered anything at the end of it.
I expressed my concern about my application expiring without having being offered a course since I would not acccept LGW if given the option, and asked about possilbe timescale.
He said that There was NO WAY he could say that NO courses will be offered till APR 2008 and that in his opinion I should not worry about my application expiring. I stressed that I would not have been interested in LGW and still he said not to worry.
Overall I felt (this is just my impression) that his words were saying ...."HANG ON!"

Londonphilou
11th Sep 2007, 10:03
Kikko, that does sound like Hang On there! :) Lets hope so.
I wonder how many people from the LHR EF pool will take the WW temporary contract?
At the end of the day, the decision is yours. Good luck to everyone.
xxx

GODDESS OF DAWN
11th Sep 2007, 10:08
Kikko, I should mention that the BA re-deployed staff were originally offered the temp. contract at LHR WW (11months) or the LHR EF permanent, however those of us that chose to wait for LHR EF were never offered LGW as an alternative whereas the external applicants in LHR EF were.

What i'm trying to point out is that logically the BA re-deployed staff would have a certain "priority" for a position anywhere. My conclusion is that if we were not offered the LGW option, my guess is that there will be future LHREF courses available.

So i'ts up to each individual to decide which is their most suitable option.

I choose to wait for LHR EF because I will be commuting, so LGW is not an option and I need a permanent contract.

The news you got from recruitment for me is good.

Hang in there. :)

Ciao DAWN

Londonphilou
11th Sep 2007, 10:17
Hi Dawn.
It does make sense what you are saying. Thanks.
I think it will be tempting for some people as they get to do WW straight away but as its a temporary contract, its also a gamble.
I cannot affford to take that gamble yet as there is still 8 months to go before our offer expires. Plus I am not in a rush to do WW. If there was one month left I would have taken it.
My guess is our turn will come after the training of the WW has taken place.
Lets hope so. Hang on!

Tiiiger
11th Sep 2007, 10:38
Do you know if there were any courses for LHR EF in August?

Londonphilou
11th Sep 2007, 10:46
Yes they started the last group in August and I think its about to finish too. Ams-LHR is in that group if you want more details.

apaddyinuk
11th Sep 2007, 15:17
It has come to my attention that there is someone going around PM'ing people on this and getting their hopes up by claiming that because she "knew" someone in senior management she was not only accepted into BA but was started (full permanent) into LHR WW. I assure you that this person is talking through their backside!!!

If she is bragging to you on here about this...please advice me of her user name and I shall get to the bottom of it.

Silver Angel
11th Sep 2007, 17:29
Is there anybody else here who was interviewed on Friday 7th September, but not heard anything yet? It seems BA normally get back to you the very next working day, so I am wondering what has gone wrong. The wait is agonizing! :ugh:

galanjal
11th Sep 2007, 17:49
but in fairness AMS you were lucky to hear and get a course very quickly. I am sure if you had not done so, you might have posted something similar yourself! It's not impatience, just keeness to know if you've got the job you want. Not unreasonable surely?

BA Boi
11th Sep 2007, 18:28
i wouldn't worry about it at all.

sometimes it can take as long as 2-3 weeks for them to get back to you. just depends on their workload.

galanjal
11th Sep 2007, 20:06
I know what you are saying AMS, they do tell you on the day that it will take a certain amount of time before you hear nay or yay. And if everyone was treated the same way then I would totally agree with you. But the fact is, what ba says and what it actually does are sometmes two different things. Before forums like this existed no one would be the wiser but we now have daily access to other candidates progress through the interview system. Naturally this can cause concern when you hear of others getting replies sooner than you have. When you really want a job I think it's just natural to want to know the outcome. I would not call that impatient.

Ben Asher
11th Sep 2007, 21:13
Plus of course, as 2 very kind people on CC.com have also pointed out, and Kikko has discovered, there is a major difference between applying to WW for the 11 month contract and being offered a place on an EF course and then being seconded to WW. So all in all, I agree that it makes sense to hold out!

I'm so excited!
11th Sep 2007, 21:32
Hi flower duet!

Yes i was thrilled to get in cos i have headr BA is THE BEST (or some have said it's joint best with virgin?) Good 2 no u still enjoying the job after 9 years what do u prefer long or short haul?

x

Flower Duet.
12th Sep 2007, 07:21
Hi,

I'm really looking forward to doing Short haul,
as I'm only used to doing Long Haul. But also glad I'll still be able to do the odd Long Haul trips for Sun and sand and Maybe a bit of shopping which is very good in orlando at the Mall ;)

VS-LHRCSA
12th Sep 2007, 08:02
I'd be interested to hear what happened to the last group of WW temps that were sent to LGW after being made permanent. Are they still at LGW? Have they managed to transfer back to LHR, or do they still have to wait two years before being able to put their name on the transfer list? My guess is they are probably waiting for the new temps to come to LGW (after their stint at LHR) to push them up to LHR but would interested to know for sure.

honeydarling
12th Sep 2007, 11:47
does anybody know how many people they are looking at recruiting for the temp contract? How many was it last year? :)

HZ123
12th Sep 2007, 12:00
It is a low figure as many of the positions have been filled by out of work staff from the UK regions. Contact Rivers by E mail now.

honeydarling
12th Sep 2007, 12:25
so then us people who have always wanted to work for BA and see this as an ideal opp on the career path even if it is a temp contract dont really stand much chance do we?

VS-LHRCSA
12th Sep 2007, 12:36
Not sure, HD. My mate applied Monday and got an interview yesterday for October. All interview choices dates were all in the one week. The closing date is this Friday, the 14th, so it's a pretty small window of opportunity. Best get on to it straightaway if you're keen. That said, they have, in the past, extended the closing date, so who knows?

BABOBO
12th Sep 2007, 12:39
VS-LHRCSA - to answer your question about the LHR temps of last year who went to LGW - about 150 of them came down to LGW - a lot of them have left since then. I reckon about 80 (rough guess) are still at LGW. The transfers from LGW to LHR are done on seniority, so no.... none of them have transfered yet to LHR as their seniority is currently too low!

VS-LHRCSA
12th Sep 2007, 13:25
Thanks BAdutchie, pretty much what I thought. Do you know roughly what main crew DOJ are at the top of the list? You can PM me if you like. Do Pursers have to downgrade to acheive a transfer anymore or can they transfer in rank - even though it would probably take 10-15 years.

Alphafloor75
12th Sep 2007, 18:23
Hi, I am looking for a job as a cabin crew with British Airways, so I suppose I am in the good thread to ask my question :)

Where can I apply, submit my application, to take cabin crew selections or recruitment? On britishairwaysjobs.com, the vacancy search for cabin crew always shows that there is nothing available at this time, but it seems that everyone of you managed to apply recently a way or another!

Please, can you advise me the right place to look at?

Thank you!

skywatch77
12th Sep 2007, 19:01
I have to say lhr holding pool looks very unlikely...I know I readon here about someone thinking that they were being sent messages over the phone to stay hopeful but it is unlikely. I would do the temp or lgw because if there are alot of people waiting for LHR and how many courses available I bet some people miss out completely.

honeydarling
12th Sep 2007, 19:07
so what is the most popular option? WW at Heathrow, or EF at Heathrow? Seems to me like EF is...why!? x

12th Sep 2007, 19:21
Hi Alphafloor
BA only advertisers externally on the britishairwaysjobs.com website. They dont really recruit that often for cabin crew (Which is a good sign showing that they dont have a high turn over so is a great company to work for) you can set an alert so each time cabin crew jobs come up an email would be sent to you.

Good luck.

I'm so excited!
12th Sep 2007, 19:25
Hey guys!
I have just been accepted to LGW and i know it's a mixture of long and shorthaul, i was just wondering if there was anyone who currently works for LGW that could tel me more about the rosta. Ideally i'd lik to do mainly longhaul, i know u don't always get what u bid for, but would it be realistic to get a maniy longhaul flights?

Thank you x

VS-LHRCSA
12th Sep 2007, 21:58
Alphafly75, the temporary WW vacancy is listed on www.britishairways.com (http://www.britishairways.com) it is the first vacancy listed and will close on the 14th, as mentioned earlier. Good luck.

Alphafloor75
12th Sep 2007, 23:07
Thanks to all of you guys for your fast replies, I do appreciate!

Londonphilou
13th Sep 2007, 00:59
How can some people know that its unlikely going to happen for LHR holding pool?
A couple of months some were saying BA is not going to recruit externally for LHR WW temp!
As far as I am concerned, the more people change to LHR WW temp or LGW , its good news for BA and also for those sticking to EF.
Recruitment has told a few people already that there is no reason for concern re the expiry date of our job offer. There is another 8 months left!

skywatch77
13th Sep 2007, 06:22
I know Londonphilpou, but people have also been warned that there might not be any dates. It is a gamble and take it if you can risk it, but DO NOT go around saying there will courses because that is false... LHR Eurofleet may well hold a course but depending on where people are on the list and how many waiting, people WILL MISS out. Priority will be given to Deployed staff.

Have a nice day. xx

skywatch77
13th Sep 2007, 06:42
Also, there are very good posts by Matt101 and BAduchie regarding the holding pool etc. Just because someone said they got the feeling they were being told to hold on is quite frankly wishful thinking, it's like when you convince yourself of something because you want it so much you'll believe anything, try and detect signs/signals. i have heard that there may not be any courses for LHR until April 2008! Not any signals or signs, but real voices from LHR. Like I said, they probably will hold a LHR course but I bet there are just too many people and in the end some will be offered LGW again.

kikko
13th Sep 2007, 10:28
Hi skywatch 77,

Nothing that anybody can say on this forum is true or false is just speculations and by now we all know that....so while you may say to somebody not to raise hopes up somebody may say to you not to discourage people by persuing what they really want....
Like London said the more people decide to go either to LGW or LHR TEMP the better it is for us....

By the way...are you staying in the hold poole or take steps to LGW or TEMP WW?

GODDESS OF DAWN
13th Sep 2007, 10:54
I agree with Kikko, we are entitled to keep our hopes up and cheer each other up if we want to eventhough we know all about the rumours etc...

However I do not agree with your trying to put us down :rolleyes: At least that's the way it came across to me. Nothing we say here is official and that includes your info as well unless you can prove otherwise we may choose to believe you or not...... bla bla bla ... :8

TO ALL LHR EF HOLD POOL... HANG IN THERE... Nothing in this life is "IMPOSSIBLE"... :ok:

Regards DAWN :)

Londonphilou
13th Sep 2007, 11:16
Listen guys, I think we have had that debate before. No one is giving anyone false hopes etc. As far as we are concerned, BA has not told us anything re whether there won't be any EF courses. Some have been told when inquired that it won't happen until the end of the financial year. As you all know anything is possible with BA. And everyone is entitled to their opinion and decision. We are in a EF holding pool and we remain so until further notice from BA.

newbagr
13th Sep 2007, 11:18
guys just think about it rationally! pls dont let others influence you but on the other hand try to see for yourself and not rely completely on false hopes! The fact that BA currently recruits temps on WW is not necessarily good for the people in the holding pool for EF as the lists will not move as much as predicted specially from EF to WW and as oct is very close and opps and choice lists opens, any vacanies for LHR EF will be covered by the surplus crew from LGW (thats why the company recruit masses of new crew at LGW even though flights will be going up to LHR from next year)and as the most senior director said yesterday in the company internal forum is that the company can now see that indifference between the two bases and even though they will never attempt to change the terms and conditions due to the nature of the business , they will introduce a much fairer way of transferring between the two bases. (you can interpret this the way you like) i know Gatwick and a temp contract is not what lots applied or wanted to get but in the end of the day it can be better than nothing....

kikko
13th Sep 2007, 11:51
What are false hopes opposed to speculations about possible future BA plans unknown to anybody?......We are all talking with the same knowlegde (regarding this subject at least) or shoud I say ignorance....so no one can really advice anyone....one way or the other.

skywatch77
13th Sep 2007, 16:33
I'm sorry, i'm not trying to put anyone down. Good luck to everyone. I have decided because I don't mind either way but I know some people are in turmoil over this and best thing is to do what is the most rational thing to do not what you think is the most hopeful. (if that makes sense). Good luck everybody in the holdpool, going LGW or Temporary worldwide contract. :)

TheFlyingFrenchman
13th Sep 2007, 16:58
Hello all!

I have just applied yesterday for the LHR WW TEMP position advertised, we will see how it goes!

Thanks for all the advice and the material on this board it is very helpful. I want to do the job even more now!!!!

TheFlyingFrenchman
13th Sep 2007, 17:09
I bet!

I already work in an airport and 90% of the cabin crew (BA and others) seem very happy with their jobs. Lucky bastards :p

Just a quick one: when you get on your training, it doesn't mean you are hired right? I mean if you fail the final exam you don't get the job?
Also, when does the drug test takes place?

kikko
13th Sep 2007, 19:09
Hi Skywatch,

Very good luck with your decision, I hope you get the course date you want soon.
All the best! XXX:ok:

GODDESS OF DAWN
13th Sep 2007, 19:51
Hi Skywatch 77,
I sincerely wish you all the best with your decision.
Hope there are no hard feelings.
GOOD LUCK! :ok:

chocco
13th Sep 2007, 22:35
Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone on long haul for BA would kindly give an example of a typical months roster?

TheFlyingFrenchman
13th Sep 2007, 22:42
jeeeez the wait is so hard to get over!!!! the more I wait the more I read about BA the more I want to work with BA the more excited I get to know the result of my application the more I wait the more....... Well you got the story!

Londonphilou
13th Sep 2007, 22:42
I think its fair to say that whatever you choose, its what you feel is good for you at this time and for the future. Recruitment has not written to us to give us the option to go to WW temp instead of waiting for EF as they are totally different contracts. Its just personal choice that some people are willing to be considered for the WW temp. Good luck to you all. xxx

airbus777
14th Sep 2007, 05:16
chocco
a months rosta on WW would be of no use to you what so ever,they are so varied every month!
I used to fly on WW fleet and every month was so different!

TheFlyingFrenchman
14th Sep 2007, 12:43
Hello!

I just received the email asking me to schedule an interview at Cranebank!
This might be of interest to those of you who applied for the temp LHR WW contract advertised this week, the results are being sent out.

Now is the hard part, getting ready for the assessment!

Good luck to all of you who haven't received the email yet and good luck to all of us who will be assessed. Jeez I'm so excited:eek::eek::eek:

VS-LHRCSA
14th Sep 2007, 14:32
Does anyone at BA know if the crew on the temporary WW LHR contract will be licenced for the 767 as well as the 777 and 747. I remember when the first temporary contract was initiated in early 2006, there was talk of restricting temps to medium range routes on the 747 and 777 only (not the 767). Did that ever materialise?

WeLieInTheShadows
14th Sep 2007, 17:48
No never happened.

I was chatting to some managers at LGW yesterday.

They said that lessons had been learned from the last group of temps last year.

The intention is this new intake will do the 11 months and then be cut loose.

This is not news to me as after hearing the manager who organised offering the temps a perm position at LGW previously saying that...she would not be offering or supporting the idea again.

Not wanting to put a damper on things. Just so those joining this time have as much info as possible.

Good luck

VS-LHRCSA
14th Sep 2007, 17:58
I was actually starting to think the same thing myself. I guess we'll see in a year or so. If they still have people already in the holding pool, it wouldn't be fair to send temps to LGW ahead of them. I think this is just going to a solution to get people moving on the lists, while keeping the operation going.

VS-LHRCSA
14th Sep 2007, 20:22
Another quick question for BA crew. I understand that the 777 at LGW now operates with 2 less crew than LHR. Which crew positions have been shed - who does what now?

TheFlyingFrenchman
14th Sep 2007, 23:25
now this is not very good news :(

any chances of transferring to EF while on employment or will the temp LHR WW be doomed? I am sure this has been asked before, just can't find it back!

what happens at the end of the temp contract? If BA is recruiting cabin crew again can we still apply and potentially get hired?

Off Stand
14th Sep 2007, 23:36
VS-LHR, they operate with one less crew member on each config, i.e. 11 crew on the 4 class and 10 crew on the class.

On the 4 class, I think it is either the no. 10 or 13 they have lost and on the 3 class there isn't a no. 9 or 13.

BA Boi
14th Sep 2007, 23:48
VS-LHRCSA,

yes, the new temps will be posted onto 'A-division' (767;777;747) for the duration of their contract.

personally, i am of the belief that all the redeployed regional ground staff who take up these temp postions at WW LHR will be offered permanent positions on this same fleet at the end of their contract - and quite rightly so.
most of them have years and years worth of service under their belt and deserve to be looked after.

as for the rest of the temps (i.e. external recruits) i don't think that they will be let go. i'm sure that they will be offered LGW after their contract expires.

whatever you decide to go for - good luck. you will eventually end up where you want to be. some of you will just have to be patient.
it took me years and years to get to where i am now - and it was well worth the wait.

GOOD LUCK.

:ok:.

HZ123
15th Sep 2007, 07:19
Not totally correct BA Boi the attrition rate for regional staff may not be so good. 2 more got the push yesterday, so that is 4 gone already.

lhrtolgw
15th Sep 2007, 13:49
As I've said before, I really hope those of you who are waiting specifically for Eurofleet courses get what you want. You must do what you must do and take your chances - I fully appreciate that.

For everyone else joining us, in whatever fleet, all the very best and just look forward to flying with some of the most wonderful people whether this be at LGW or LHR WW.

By the way, newbagr was correct when she said some time ago that transfers would take place between LGW and LHR - the initial moves will indeed start within the next couple of months and yes, with aircraft moves from LGW to LHR, more significant numbers will join them in the not too distant future. How this will impact upon permanent, external recruitment at either base? Well, we'll have to see....

newbagr - hope you're well :ok:. You always talk sense.

jas99915
15th Sep 2007, 16:34
Hi All...

I got a interview on the 3rd oct for lhr ww temp....
anyone been through the assessment day do you remember any interview questions that you were asked.... cheers...

AMS-LHR I wanted to ask you if you was training with a guy called Andi Scott, he was going on a training course about the same time you were... just wondered if you were together.... hope its all going well.... I coming from the NHS too.... thank you to anyone who answers my ? in advance:):ok:

SuperBoy
15th Sep 2007, 20:50
Ba boi.

[/quote]personally, i am of the belief that all the redeployed regional ground staff who take up these temp postions at WW LHR will be offered permanent positions on this same fleet at the end of their contract - and quite rightly so.
most of them have years and years worth of service under their belt and deserve to be looked after.[/quote]

Unfortunately that is incorrect. There are agreements in place between the unions and BA that there can be no permanent recruitment into LHR WW. That is why the company is using the Temp-loophole. When the temps contracts are finished they are finished and if the company need people at LGW or at LHR EF it will then decide to offer whatever it see fits but they will not stay on LHR WW.

At the end of the day a temporary position is a temporary position and no one should think or expect to be kept on.

After what happened down at LGW with the last batch of temps that transfered onto SFG I think they will be hard pushed to go down that road again.

At the end of the day BA will do what BA wants to do but it can only do that if it adheres to the union agreements.

Anyone going for Temp contracts enjoy every minute of it you get a chance at something most in the industry cannot but go into it with open eyes. It is 11 months TEMP. Thats it, nothing more nothing less. If you are offered a position afterwards great if not you know what you signed up for.

the letter
15th Sep 2007, 21:34
Hello everyone!

Is anyone at the 12:30 session on Tuesday October 2nd?

chocco
16th Sep 2007, 20:46
Hey all,

Does anyone have the assessment and interview booked for Oct 5th from 8.30am onwards?

Also I'm going to be travelling from Yorkshire, does anyone know how long these assessments and interview days last, as I need to book my train journey back and don't know what time to book it for.

Thanks

Sazuka
16th Sep 2007, 21:42
Hello, have just joined PPR and wondered if anyone can please tell me if BA are recruiting at Gatwick? and if so, is it a different company now under the BA umbrella? I have been out of the airline industry for some time...and would love to return. Any ideas what the chances are for a mature female? (even though I don't look it I'm told...)
I would appreciate any advice/tips...
Many thanks.

VS-LHRCSA
17th Sep 2007, 18:05
Those ladies would be 55+ as that was the retirement age until just recently. Nice to see them back flying. Were they CSDs previously? It would be an adjustment for them to fly as main crew but it's better than sitting at home. I can remember doing CSD retirement trips thinking 55 is too young, what will I do when I'M 55? Luckily, they're taking applications from those up to 62 now, so I've still got a few years left in me.

essjay7
17th Sep 2007, 19:11
I think that's brilliant. A friend of mine (who left BA some years ago) now has an interview for the present temp posts at LHR. She is in her early fifties too and did think that she might be the only 'more mature' lady around. Great to hear from AMS that his course has three on board; after all, the world is made up of young AND old(er), not forgetting that, hopefully, we will all be there one day!! This will give her extra confidence going into the assessment. Many thanks.

I'm so excited!
17th Sep 2007, 19:48
Hi all - i got a question for the girlies. I'm trying to find shoes that fit the discription for flying but so far finding it really hard. I've constantly been popping into shoe shops (o what hard work:)) but have only found 2 possiblities. There are some plain, sqaure toes in NEXT but they are just over 2.5" I have also seen some in Clarkes which are the correct hight, but the have a lined patten on the front.
Do you think either of these would be ok? Where do you get yours from?

Thanks x

I'm so excited!
17th Sep 2007, 21:37
Thanx very much for the reply! I envy you for already starting on a course, i really hope everything is going wel for you! what time does the training start everyday? Have a good day tomorrow!
x

Airhostessdream
18th Sep 2007, 10:06
;)Hi Chocco form the previous page! omigosh!:eek: I too have an assesment booked for October 5th! 8.30 am. If you get this message- I hope you do, We should meet, travel in part way together and maybe have a coffee/Tea, help those pre- jitter nerves. It's always good to meet people. Well from what I read the assesment lasts till 12.30pm. So I would say, If your train leaves from Heathrow, book it for 1.30, that gives you an hour to get back as remember have to catch staff bus back. I am travelling to heathrow from the same tube line, where I live but at the other end of the line..lol:ugh:Gimme a shout or PM me. I have been to an airline interview a few times, virgin tho, so a bit different, but lets not even go into that right now, spk soon!

the letter
18th Sep 2007, 12:46
Do you think multi-lingual language skills will be considered as an assett in one's application?

If anyone is also being interviewed on the 2:nd of October at 12:30, let me know and perhaps we could meet in advance and encourage eachother! :)

TheFlyingFrenchman
18th Sep 2007, 16:46
I would think that languages are an extra assett, definitely!

As far as I am concerned, I am booked on 3-10 at 12.30
If anyone has the same slot, give me a shout!

Londonphilou
18th Sep 2007, 17:15
The Letter, its for your own benefit if you have an extra or more languages but you don't get any extra point to someone who does not. With BA it does not matter where you have worked before or if you speak 10 languages, its how you sell yourself on the day and if they like what they see.

chocco
18th Sep 2007, 17:19
Hi Airhostessdream,

I'll be travelling up the day before and I'm going to be staying over at the Jury's Inn hotel, as it'll be impossible to travel down on the day and be there for 8.30.

If you want to meet up the day before then that's fine with me.

P.s I don't have a clue how to PM!!!

Londonphilou
18th Sep 2007, 17:35
Click on the person's profile name and you will get some options and choose the one you need.

SuperBoy
19th Sep 2007, 15:49
Just an update for those who applied for the Temp contract at BA.

There are 280 positions for the WW Temp 11 month contract and of that 220 positions are being filled internally so in effect they are only recruiting for 60 positions externally.

Good luck to all those who are or have applied. :)

(Ps. This bit a news comes straight from the head of Inflight services at BA)

Flower Duet.
19th Sep 2007, 16:06
If you are applying for a disclosure form, make sure you put your FULL name on application.

Just had a call from BA, I have to re-apply for my disclosure form again.

Another £20 .. don't be silly like me ;)

VS-LHRCSA
19th Sep 2007, 17:39
Superboy, that would probably explain why they are only holding external interviews over one week. 400 or so interviews for 60 jobs, sounds about right. Thanks for the update.

Airhostessdream
19th Sep 2007, 22:25
:}Chocco, did you manage to try out PM ( private messaging). Did u read on the page they are only taking on 60 ppl. We have to really shine and be very good. Yeh sure wud love to meet, Im thinkin tho, night before I might want to get some extra revision in, but prehpas we can meet for an hr or so for coffee/ tea, could go into central, half way for both of us. Oh and On the friday maybe we could get the staff bus in together, or are u directly next to the recuritment place, I have heard we need to get the staff bus from Hatten cross station. Anyway Pm your mobile num. Spk soon. U started any preparation yet hun?. J X:eek:

TightSlot
20th Sep 2007, 08:11
Another warning - post in English not in Text Speak

the letter
20th Sep 2007, 10:54
Does anyknow know what one could expect at the interview? Have they changed their recruitment structure or is like before (team assessment and 2 to 1)?

jas99915
20th Sep 2007, 11:37
can anyone tell me how many references we have to send... your work reference is the 1st... then how many personal references? or are personal ones not required... it doesnt say..bit confused....

kikko
20th Sep 2007, 12:30
BA interview is like before...group exercise, 2 to 1, and company presentation where you can ask questions etc.
This is not in any particular order. Good luck!:ok:

DMED
20th Sep 2007, 13:01
Hola chic@s

I am one of these in the holding pool for Eurofleet LHR and I have recently resigned from Bmed (becoming bmi) to work for a while in the ground in Spain til I get a course date with BA (if I do). The thing is that obviously my circumstances (employment and address) have changed now. Does anyone knoe how can I inform of this to BA?
also... any new about when may we be called to give us a course date?

Thanks very much and happy flying!

kikko
20th Sep 2007, 13:10
The Letter

I have just read somewhereelse BA has actually changed the interview so that apparently they select people at group exercise stage and only the successful ones can proceed to next stage (2 to 1) which might not be on the same day.
Now I don't know if what I have read on the other forum is true and if it is from a direct source......So the question remains opend.

DMED
If you log onto BA web site you can change you details online (addredd telephone etc) and remember to save them!!

blueskybird
20th Sep 2007, 13:27
had an interview with ba a couple of wks ago and it was a group exercise, the 2-2-1 and the company presentation - these can be done in any order. ;)
good luck to ll of you going for you interviews!!! :ok::ok::ok:

x x blueskybird x x

VS-LHRCSA
20th Sep 2007, 13:42
Yeah, that's how they've done it for the past few years. I think because of the rotation of groups, it's easy to assume that others have been "cut" as you've not seen them since being in the waiting room.

Londonphilou
20th Sep 2007, 16:07
I would not think that the format of the assessment day has been changed.
However as they are looking for only a certain number of crew, they might have something else in place. I would say, just be prepared. If you are in doubt, call or write to recruitment.

I'm so excited!
20th Sep 2007, 17:33
Hi BA boi- i was just browsing through previous threads and saw 1 you posted to AMS on 19th saying about getting the highest places on the course.
i was wondering if u cud tel me more about this, do you come out of the training course with different seniority levels? or is it that if u make a good impression you'l be coonsidered first for a promotion?

Also can anyone tell me if training is mon-fri or does it include weekends as well?

Thanx alot X

VS-LHRCSA
20th Sep 2007, 18:04
Your seniority number is determined by the day you joined. If there is 25 of you on your course, then your seniority within that 25 is MEANT to be determined by performance, however, I ended up being junior to 2 people on my course with performance issues, so I am not so convinced by that claim.

Once you actually start flying this seniority is pretty much diluted by the 1000s of crew that have been there longer than you. It will only really affect you if you fly from someone on your course and you need to choose working positions.

As far as promotion goes, realistically, you are looking a good 5-7 years ahead at LHR (maybe less at LGW) before you are even allowed to apply. Your training will be then be a distant memory and your performance in the training doesn't really come into it. It also goes the other way, if you didn't perform so well in training doesn't mean you have less of a chance for promotion.

My advice would be just to get stuck in, pay attention, be on time, adhere to uniform standards and revise at night - just like any other airline.

Oh, and MY training was Mon-Fri but I wouldn't rule out weekends unless told otherwise. Cranebank is open 7 days a week.

speedmarque
21st Sep 2007, 08:24
The facts in the above post re promotion is a little incorrect. The last intake of Pursers on LHR Eurofleet included folks who have been in the company just THREE years. This seems to be the norm now as the last campaign a couple of yearsback was down to THREE years as well.

WW LHR is a totally different kettle of fish. I know folks there with TEN years service who are still not senior enough to apply!

Cheers

VS-LHRCSA
21st Sep 2007, 08:56
Thanks for the correction Speedmarque. Three years is pretty good.

yingying
21st Sep 2007, 22:50
Hi all,
Can someone tell me whether the allowances is paid in arrears i.e. october allowances will be paid in Novembers pay. Thanks. Also anyone on the Temp WW 3rd Dec course?

Londonphilou
22nd Sep 2007, 11:50
Ams, have you got your roster already? And did you get to bid too?
Hope all gone well. Still waiting here..almost drowning in that poole..:)

Londonphilou
22nd Sep 2007, 16:59
What is a ban 3 and 4?

SuperBoy
22nd Sep 2007, 17:07
It's band 3 or band 4.

Basically a band 1 is a flight with a flight time of upto 60 mins. A band 2 is a flight with a flight time of 60 - 90 mins, Band 3 90 - 120mins and I stand to be corrected but a band 4 is 120 - 240 mins.

flyer55
22nd Sep 2007, 17:09
Has anybody been to a recruitment day for LGW recently . If so what were you told about LGW's future . Am crew for BA @ LGW and am interested to see what you have been told. If you want to Private Message me and I will reply .

thanks

Londonphilou
22nd Sep 2007, 18:06
Thanks guys.

I'm so excited!
22nd Sep 2007, 20:58
Thnx alot VS-LHCSA and Speedmarque for the info on seniority and promotion. I'l take your advise on everything!

X

GODDESS OF DAWN
23rd Sep 2007, 00:32
Thanks to your post updates and looking at how you have progressed it's really amazing to see how your first flight is finally around the corner. I'm excited for you and I can't wait to get there eventually myself. Please don't forget to tell us how your first flight goes.

GOOD LUCK for the 3rd OCT!!

Still hanging by a thread.....

blueskybird
23rd Sep 2007, 13:43
Could anyone from LGWSF please tell me if it is possible to pehaps club together leave, say for example if I needed 21/28 days of for a special occassion (which i may well have next year) ??

would i have to go to my base manager to ask for special permission?

If any crew at Gatwick could shed some light it'd be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance:ok::ok:

flyer55
23rd Sep 2007, 18:53
Sometimes it is ok to do that but you need to go through your line manager!

BA Boi
23rd Sep 2007, 19:18
SuperBoy,

with regards my posting (number 205 on this thread) and your reply (number 210) i think that if you read my posting correctly, you will find that i was stating a personal belief about what would happen to the redeployed regional ground staff when the end of their contract on WW LHR finishes - i was not stating a fact.

i still, and will continue, to believe (and hope) that this will happen.

afterall there are precidents that have been set (although under slightly different circumstances, but very similar nontheless) i.e. belfast call centre closure at the end of last year; glasgow call centre closure 4 years ago they were all moved onto the WW fleet at LHR and WW fleet at LGW (when it still existed) respectively.
they were out of a job and under those circumstances and under the terms of the redeployment agreements negotiated between the company and the various departmental unions YEARS and YEARS ago, reasonable alternative empolyment within the company must be found and offered. also it must be permanent if vacancies exist.
although there has been no mention of the redeployment agreements in this particular instance (and therefore why these positions are not permanent (as yet)) may be due to the fact that permanent vacancies within the WW fleet at LHR aren't available - YET.

however, with the arrival of the DFW and IAH services at LHR in the spring i'm convinced that this will change.

as for the 60-odd external recruits that will be accepted for the 11 months, i'm sure that they will be directed to SF LGW at the end of their term, or perhaps (and i'd say more fairley) offered the choice to go the fleet into which they were originally placed in the holding pool for.

oh, and as for your information on the EF LHR work bidding system with regards to it being seniority-driven - you are mistaken i'm afraid.
work bidding is seniority-driven at SF LGW, but N O T at EF LHR. not at all.

as for the rotating groups A; B; and C - again, at EF LHR that O N L Y applies to the allocation of annual leave.

:}.

G-MEDA
24th Sep 2007, 06:26
People who had an interview scheduled last July have been put on hold for about 12 months...

Has anyone in this situation heard from BA yet? Has anyone been offered an interview for WW temp contract instead?

kikko
24th Sep 2007, 08:04
I Don't know. If you wish to go for interview for LHR WW I would give BA a call and ask them as I belive it is possible.

honeydarling
24th Sep 2007, 14:15
Hi there, is there anybody who is going up for the WW interviews the night before and staying in a hotel by the airport? Could anyone offer me any advice regarding the way how I get to cranebank from them? Is there a bus? I know there is one from Hatton Cross, are there regular busses from all the hotels to hatton cross? Thanks! :) x

Londonphilou
24th Sep 2007, 15:11
Your best bet is to check with the hotel you made your booking with. Some of the hotels have free shuttle to the airport terminals and may be to Hatton Cross but not to Cranebank for sure.

agnieszkolina
24th Sep 2007, 16:22
Hi guys, is there anyone going to a recruitment day on 4th of October at Heathrow??woul be nice to meet some of u before going there... good luck to everyone :)

VS-LHRCSA
24th Sep 2007, 17:15
Try to stay at the Jury's Inn. It is half way between Hatton Cross and Cranebank - you can walk to either.

Airhostessdream
24th Sep 2007, 18:19
My assesment Is not until the 5th October.:) Not sure If there is anyone else going on this day.:confused: Agnieszkolina, It's a shame that our's is not on the same day, That is exactly what I thought about meeting up before hand. Let me know How you get on and all the best of luck:p

the letter
24th Sep 2007, 18:31
2nd of October at 12:30 anyone?

agnieszkolina
26th Sep 2007, 01:03
thats a pity we cannot go there the same day...ehhh i'll let u know how it went and good luck to u as well! i think its gonna be hard but i'll try my best :)

747-436
26th Sep 2007, 08:27
If you are in the Eurofleet hold pool then you can switch to the worldwide courses straight away without an interview, well you could before the closing date anyway. Obviously BA state a couple of times that it is only 11 month contract and that if a EF course comes up you can't switch back etc etc.

Matt101
27th Sep 2007, 16:00
I also wanted to point out an inaccuracy posted earlier that the WW and EF contracs are different - Havign signed both of them in the past I can say that they are not different but the other aggreements in place - predominantly affecting your rostering patterns and allowances days off etc. are different. I was in LHR EF pool then was offered Temp WW without askign for it.
Also somone asked for a typical roster at LGW - if they are still after it PM me and I'll send you mine as I am sure the poor moderator would have a fit if I posted 2 pages of A4 into this forum.
Good luck to all of you applicants out there (don't like to say Wannabe's as it makes me sound a bit superior).
Opps & Choice news for LGW is due this month but considering todays announcement on Longhaul aircraft purchases I'm sure all is to play for and change is on the horizon - A380 good god I feel a bit giddy at the propsect.
See all the new LGW crew soon.
I knwo a manager has said she wouldn't support moving LHR temps to LGW in the uture but she is one of many so don't take that as gospel.
I try to post more fact (or what we as crew are given as fact) on here than opinion but at the end of the day it is PPRUNE the RUNE bit standing fro Rumour Newtwork so take everything with a pinch of salt.
I reiterate though if you really want to work for BA hold out for EF if you want to but don't decline LGW if it's lookign like all you'll geet - it's still paid better than most (not LHR BA i know but still) and you too could be sat on a beach in BGI drinking Strawberry Daquiri's for £2 a pop - Heaven. Me right now I'm in TPA on my balcony having spent my 48 hours off tryign to shake a miserable cold i feel a bit giddy after all the beechams! Usually it'd be Busch Gardens though!
Happy flying!

GODDESS OF DAWN
28th Sep 2007, 08:43
Hi there....

I just spoke to BA Recruitment and they assured me that even though our application is valid for 1 year we will get a course before expiry date.

When I asked him for an approximate date he said before MAY 08 and not to worry........

GREAT NEWS !!!

DAWN :D

VS-LHRCSA
28th Sep 2007, 08:51
Well, that's good news, Dawn.

April and May for EF courses makes sense. They need the space at Cranebank to get all 280 WW Temps trained up and online. It will take until April to do that.

kikko
28th Sep 2007, 09:05
Goddess that's a great news!!!!:ok:...still keeping my fingers crossed for everybody in EF pool. All this waiting might be in the end very worthwhile:)

BACityFlyer
29th Sep 2007, 14:00
Anyone got interview for temp WW on 1st October at 12.30?

jas99915
29th Sep 2007, 16:52
Hey I got an interview for ww temp... if anyone has done this before or knows anyone who has... could you let me know what they took home a month on a average basis.... after tax... would be good to know... or pm me... cheers:)

TheFlyingFrenchman
30th Sep 2007, 01:37
from what I heard it can be anywhere between 1,400 and 2,600£

can anyone confirm/rectify this?

VS-LHRCSA
30th Sep 2007, 06:31
Sounds about right, although £2600 might be stretching it. It would be a one off if you got it. That would be a month of NRT, SIN/SYD and 8 day B2B (which will be going with the DTW/IAH). Budget for around £1500 and anything over that would be a nice suprise.

Matt101
30th Sep 2007, 12:03
I already PM'd an answer to this but my average NET while temping at LHR WW was 1750. (made from 890 gross basic and 1300 gross allowances). Like VS says though NRT etc trips would push this up but I wouldn' expect to do one of those a month!

happy flying!

Airhostessdream
1st Oct 2007, 09:18
:)Hi Guys,:)

Can anyone help me with this burning question I have. I just need to see several people's opinion. When I was doing training with a previous airline, my references were almost processed for an airside pass, but I was never told to collect it or that it was ready.

So I did not have to go down and get my photo taken or anything. I didn't complete my training.I know some airlines dont give you a form to ask have you previously applied for a BAA security pass or had one. I think Ba gives this form. What worries me Is I did not want to put down my previous airline as I didnt have the best of experiences and this might put my chances down. I was not even there long.
So my question is do I have to put this whole thing down that on my references,can they actually find out?they may ask me why I did not put this down on my application form. As I never had a pass, don't think it was ready, so can I just tick the (No I have no had not applied for a pass?:confused::\)

HZ123
1st Oct 2007, 09:39
Yes you will need to put that in as HAL will cross refernce previous applications. That said you should not need to worry about this as it is purely a requirement.

jceee
1st Oct 2007, 12:05
how much is the starting salary of BA?

TheFlyingFrenchman
1st Oct 2007, 18:36
hello guys and girls!

any feedback from today's interviewed? what happened, which exercises and most importantly: how well did it go for all of you?!

TheFlyingFrenchman
3rd Oct 2007, 18:26
it is done for me, fingers crossed.

the way it goes is: waiting, group exercise, more waiting, presentation/interview depending on your group and that's it for the day.

the group exercise is really not all that I reckon the hardest part was the 2-2-1

good luck to everyone!!!

Londonphilou
4th Oct 2007, 07:31
When I had mine some years ago ( May 2007) :uhoh: I found the 2 to 1 more relaxing as its only between you and them. You are not put under any pressure by anyone except by the interviewers. I know the questions can be drilling but the same thing is being asked to everyone. If you are well prepared its not hard at all. But with the group exercise, other than the task itself ( does not matter if you get it right or wrong ) you have to deal with other people who you have never met before and given a task which can be anything. Thats where a lot of the real you can be observed and how you communicate with others etc. So theres a bit more pressure there. Thats my opinion. :)

the letter
4th Oct 2007, 11:15
Agreed. The personal interview was intense indeed and they kept asking you a lot of questions. The two ladies were so sweet and fantastic. They made me feel at ease and very relaxed from the very first moment I met them. As Philou says, if you are well prepared you have nothing to worry about.

The group exercise isn't very difficult. I second his or her's motion again. It's to see how you interact with people you have never met before. There are no wrong or right answers. Be polite. Do not interupt. Address everyone when speaking and try to ignore the observers!

In general, I had a fantastic day!

jas99915
4th Oct 2007, 11:39
hi all...

Had my interview yesterday... I think it went ok... not perfect but you never know whether you say the right things... I forgot to mention one person when I was asked about the people in my group... I remembered four out of five though.... just the waiting game now... i think i prefered the interview although it was more intense than the group session. Good luck to everyone who hasnt had there day yet... and fingers crossed for those that have....:):ok:

blueskybird
4th Oct 2007, 13:03
hi every1 :O

sorry to completely change the subject, but i was just wondering if there is anyone else who had an interview for LGWSF in september like myself and then couldnt take the november course dates and thus went back into a holdpool. i have phoned BA a few times now and each time they say they dont have any information, zero, zip on any future possible training courses for LGWSF.
Im desperate for them to phone me with a training course date for jan/feb,...i realise there probably wont be any for dec as they'll be doing the training courses for LHR WW temps.
anyone else in this situation?? also if anyone at BA knows any more info i would really appreciate any insight you could give me.

many thanks! :confused::confused:

Flower Duet.
4th Oct 2007, 15:40
You should of taken the course, you must of thought when you applied for BA that you would have to put your life on hold etc..

I did and I'm happy to be starting in November, it's your career at the end of the day.

blueskybird
5th Oct 2007, 14:27
good luck with your course flower duet