PDA

View Full Version : bose x headset

A330 Dreamer
10th Aug 2007, 00:18
for anyone who has the above headset - what do you think of it?

also, cheapest place I've seen advertising it is Sporty's pilot shop in America for $599 or $699

Would it be worth buying from there or does any1 know anywhere cheaper to purchase this headset?

Regards

BroomstickPilot
10th Aug 2007, 07:13
Hi A330 Dreamer,

I have the Bose X and find it excellent.

Before buying from Sporty's, check how much you will have to pay in customs duty, it might make it as dear as buying here, especially since the firm that advertises on the back of the magazines is offering them for £587.

Broomstick.

FullyFlapped
10th Aug 2007, 09:58
A330,

Where exactly did you see the prices you quote for Sportys? I've just looked on their website and they're quoting $999 ...

FF :ok:

DB6
10th Aug 2007, 10:53
Broomstick, small print = +VAT. (£690)
A330, bought them, used them, flogged them. Not crap but nowhere near worth £700. I think they come with a 30 day trial arrangement so don't throw away the packaging. Depending on what you fly you will need more passive protection than the Bose offers (not very good at high frequencies). Lots of threads on this, try a search.

Letdown
10th Aug 2007, 11:02
I purchased a Bose X headset earlier in the year, having used Dave Clark's for many years. The difference in performance is dramatic, it is without doubt the best headset I've ever used.

The noise-cancelling performance when you turn on the battry pack has to be experienced to be believed. They are also extreamly light to wear and therefore comfortable for longer trips.

There're expensive, but what cost do you place on your hearing. Best purchase I've made in a long time.

I bought mine from a well know retailer north of the border as I've always had excellent customer service from them and I know if I have any problems with them, there won't be an issue in replacing or sorting out the problem - something worth factoring-in to a circa £700 purchase. Hope that helps.

IO540
10th Aug 2007, 14:19
The Bose X is the best headset around by a big margin.

If you can afford it, it's worth the money. If you can't afford it then...

I have four of them.

But it's not something you can lend to careless people. It's not built like a tank. If you want something for club use, and generally kicking around, get a £200 David Clarke. They are crap but they will take the abuse of everyday GA usage by people who think a headset is £20.

Don't buy a used one though. Bose had a problem with the mikes, from about 1999 to about 2003. They still work (better than other headsets) but not as well as the current model.

S-Works
10th Aug 2007, 15:19
I have a couple of Bose X headsets and as IO says they are the best thing money can buy. I have used them in everything from Open Cockpit to a CJ1.

I use the noise canceling non aviation headsets with my iPod and for airline travel as well.

They do not have the best passive reduction but then thats not what they were designed for! They weigh nothing and are a tough enough for a considerate owner but certainly not for a flying school.

Mine has more than 2000hrs of use on it and still looks like the day I bought it.

dublinpilot
10th Aug 2007, 15:25
The noise-cancelling performance when you turn on the battry pack has to be experienced to be believed.

I do wonder about this......is it real or just percived? Most headsets have very good passive annuncation, and the ANR on them simply is the cherry on the cake....it adds a little more, to the already good annuncation. So when you switch on the ANR, you get a little less noise, but nothing earth shattering. Your annuncation goes in two steps....1. Putting on the headset, and 2. Turning on the ANR.

On the Bose X the passive annuncation isn't great at all, but the ANR does an excellent job when you turn it on. The effect is dramatic, because it goes from very little annucation to very good in one jump.

Having used both the Bose and DC's I don't think the Bose X has any better annuncation than my current headset (DC20-10XL)....but the effect of turning on the ANR on the Bose is much more dramatic, than on the DC's. Bose don't produce any figures for their annuncation, and I presume this is because it would show that their annuncation isn't any better than anyone else's.....it's just a matter of perception. Which ever seeing those figures, it will remain just a guess, but that's my take on it.

Comfort is another issue though. I accept that the DC20-10XL's that I use are much more comfortable than most of the other DC's, but the only significant advantage that the Bose has over them in terms of comfort is the fact that the Bose is smaller and lighter in weight. Both are quite comfortable to wear for awhile, although as I say, I do accept that most DC's have a much higher clamping force than I'm used to on the 20-10XL's.

You pay your money and take your choice. At the end of the day, I've yet to come across someone who bought the Bose and was unhappy with them, which does say a lot. If you intend flying long term, then buy the best headset that you can afford. When I bought my headset in 2002 (Just out of warrenty this summer!) they were significantly more expensive than the Bose are now. But I've had five years of excellent use, without any problems. The headset looks and functions as it did the day I got it. I've no reason to suspect I won't get another 5 years of happy use. Writting the cost off over ten years (perhaps more) means that the cost really isn't a big factor in your flying. So pay for the best you can affort (rather then the best you can justify). Otherwise you'll spend years wishing you'd forked out the extra ;)

dp

172driver
10th Aug 2007, 15:40
I've got 'em and love 'em. As others have indicated, turning on the ANR always brings a smile to my face. It's amazing how the noise just fades away. Importantly, however, you DO hear all the sounds of the airplane, so you don't fly in a 'cotton bowl'. Passive attenuation isn't great, but they have obviously been designed that way. What price your hearing......

A330 Dreamer
11th Aug 2007, 00:05
thanks for that guys,

was in the transair shop today - liked the feel of them when I tried it on so might purchase it when next pay day comes around

fernytickles
11th Aug 2007, 15:26
Have a look at uflymike.com as well. A bit cheaper than the Bose X, and gets good compliments.

Wrong Stuff
11th Aug 2007, 16:44
The Bose are very good indeed.

One thing which cropped up on one of the aircraft mailing lists, though, was that they're not intended for unpressurised high-altitude use. The official upper usage limit is 14,000ft and above that it's apparently not uncommon to suffer acoustic feedback. I've used our pair up to that pressure level without any problems, but I've never had them in use above there, so can't comment myself. Perhaps others have experience they could share.

Of course, if your aircraft is pressurised, it's not a worry. Actually, maybe that should be, WHILE your aircraft is pressurised it's not a worry.

IO540
11th Aug 2007, 17:52
Perfectly fine at FL180+. This is three sets in use at the time, dating from 1999 to 2003, and with mikes from 1999 to 2007.

172driver
11th Aug 2007, 18:20
No probs at FL 150

A330 Dreamer
11th Aug 2007, 22:06
I've not been higher than 8000ft!

dont think our cherokee can go much higher, akes about an hour to get there in the 1st place!

Being in the transair shop and having a look around and trying different sets on was making me want to buy it but thought I'd get the trusted Pprune feedback 1st before spending £680 on a headset

Becker Junior
29th Aug 2007, 15:07
Does Bose X fit to the 737NG plugs or you must bye an adapter?

sternone
29th Aug 2007, 17:25
Since i train on the gold old C152 i bought the David Clark 10.34 one, i'm definitly willing to buy some boseX in my own plane or if i move up to the glass warrior for my IR.. but i read about problems on BoseX on some older planes...

I must say that the David Clark 10.34 are great, i dont notice any headset.. i hope the bose-x are another step beyond. can anybody compare these please and let me know ? thanks

digital.poet
29th Aug 2007, 19:39
A headset on my shopping list as well but there is something that bothers me...

Does all this fancy ANR interfere with the pilot's ability to hear an early warning noises from the engine?

Caullystone
29th Aug 2007, 19:46
My Wife has offered to buy me a pair for my Annerversary...

What is the version of the Bose X needed for a C172...

i.e. with the 2 x Jack Sockets (one for headphone one for mic)?

Are they good for use in the aircraft??

Thanks for the advise?

Redbird72
29th Aug 2007, 20:06
Sternone,

Both the instructors at my school have bose X, and I'm training in a C152 - so I doubt there is any problem there. I can hear them OK (in borrowed denali's) and they have no probs with ATC.

However, I can't say that I've ever noticed the ANR box, so they may be using them as passive only? I'll have to ask to see whether it's because of compatibility or choice (don't want to hear the student wittering on!).

Fuji Abound
29th Aug 2007, 20:08
Does all this fancy ANR interfere with the pilot's ability to hear an early warning noises from the engine?

You might find it odd at first with the Bose (or any other ANR) how quite things become at first. It can be disconcerting until you are use to it. The high frequency noises become much clearer and you will hear components of the aircraft you have never heard before.

Could a low frequency noise be the first indication of engine or other problems and be suppresed. I suppose it is possible, but logically you might think high frequency noises are more likely or at least would be a component part.

What is the version of the Bose X needed for a C172...

Two jacks (a single jack is for the helis), non powered, leaving you only to decide if you want the helicoil cable or straight. Apparently straight is more popular and was the type I selected.

scooter boy
29th Aug 2007, 21:09
i hope the bose-x are another step beyond. can anybody compare these please and let me know ? thanks

Sternone, David Clark are very good and I have 2 similar conventional PNR headsets in the back seats of my ovation and 2 factory fitted Bose-Xs in the front - the difference between them is remarkable. The Bose-X is even sweeter if bought in US dollars!

When you order your ovation3 or Acclaim get the factory fitted Bose-Xs for the front seats - then you won't need to worry about battery life.

SB:ok:

sternone
30th Aug 2007, 14:44
However, I can't say that I've ever noticed the ANR box, so they may be using them as passive only? I'll have to ask to see whether it's because of compatibility or choice (don't want to hear the student wittering on!).

Thanks for your reply, please ask them and let me know

When you order your ovation3 or Acclaim get the factory fitted Bose-Xs for the front seats - then you won't need to worry about battery life.

If they are really that good, i couldn't imagine anyone buying a new plane without fitting these things in front...

skua
31st Aug 2007, 09:56
I see that Lightspeed have just launched the Zulu, which they calim has the best noise attenuation of anything on the market, presumably incl Bose-X. In the US is goes for $895. Anyone got any views on this one?

Skua