PDA

View Full Version : Oz Jet to Karratha by October

pilotdude09
8th Aug 2007, 04:49
Howdy Guys,

Just to let you all know OzJet is finishing studies on Perth-Karratha and its expected they will launch services starting in October.

They are expecting to have an early morning flight to and from Karratha and a early evening flight to and from Karratha.

This is great news, Qantas is going to have 3 services a day, Qantaslink has 3 services a day and now OzJet will most likley have 2.

CCI has warned that if the town doesnt use them we are gunna loose them, especially now that if the gas projects go ahead theres another few thousand FIFO workers, hopefully some of these contractors put their staff onto OzJet.

They are also planning on having a frequent flyer program up and running-dunno what you would use the points for?

All i can say is bring on some competition, it shouldnt cost $600 rtn to Perth, its only a 2 hr flight.

:ok:

Skystar320
8th Aug 2007, 04:53
:ok::ok::ok:

Great news, Qantas has the monoply to northern WA and can charge whatever they will like.

Seems OZJET have got the heads screwed on

Warped Wings
8th Aug 2007, 05:10
If Skywest couldn't make money flying to Karratha, what makes Ozjet think they can? Perhaps I should ask what was wrong with the Skywest service before they pulled out? :confused:

Sure is going to be crowded up there once the red E-Jet's show up :E

pilotdude09
8th Aug 2007, 05:24
Thing with Skywest was sometimes they were alot dearer than Qantas,
ALWAYS delayed out of Karratha and because of that people simply didnt support them. They also didnt have good times departing Karratha where as QF did.

And a big reason was no company wanted a contract with them.
Where as OzJet is comming in at a good time, will most likley have cheap fares and offers a business class product.

Hopefully everyone has learnt their lesson and is sick of paying way over priced tickets and supports OzJet, and nothing like flying a classic :cool:

Would be great to see DJ up here as well but they dont really seem to give a **** about regional WA either so doubt that we will see them at all.
Theres alot of money to be had in regional WA but certain airlines are rapeing the markets so to speak.

Buster Hyman
8th Aug 2007, 07:00
Geez! Talk about "cherry picking" all the good routes!!!;)

Nice town Karratha, much better than the other dump beyond the Whim Ck Pub!!!

pilotdude09
8th Aug 2007, 07:08
Too true Buster :) Couldnt agree with ya more there!

The other worst town is 30km away from Karratha, now thats an eye opener :eek:

Capn Bloggs
8th Aug 2007, 08:24
Ozjet killer, complete with new highspeed roo paint job:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/webpixx/prune/superroo.gif

Bring 'em on! :}

west atc
8th Aug 2007, 08:36
Yet another early morning flight out of Perth, they should be able to depart sometime before about 9am unless they can get out early enough to beat the rush.

Just keep them coming, plenty of capacity out of Perth in the morning! :ugh:

chad sexington
8th Aug 2007, 09:03
Send Pearce to Curtin!

Going Boeing
8th Aug 2007, 09:24
Chad, why should the RAAF (ie taxpayers) have to fund the massive costs of relocating the training infrastructure to an airfield that has been set up as an operational military base. Curtin does not have a satelite airfield like Gin Gin so a new one would have to be constructed. The RAAF has been at Pearce long before the majority of commercial operators started services.

The sensible thing to do is work out a more efficient use of Perth airspace and Air traffic procedures to get the most efficient outcome for all airspace users.

Capn Bloggs
8th Aug 2007, 13:14
The sensible thing to do is work out a more efficient use of Perth airspace and Air traffic procedures to get the most efficient outcome for all airspace users.

Many highly skilled local experts have been doing that for the last 10 years that I know of, Boeing. There is no more efficient way of doing business at the moment ie until ADS-B comes in and allows long-range sequencing so all the users don't arrive at the same time (another runway and/or staggered ETAs would also help).

Watch this space, as AsA reckons the current setup is too dangerous and is about to give us even more trackmiles than we currently have. Not a criticism, just the fact.

topend3
8th Aug 2007, 14:03
Ozjet killer, complete with new highspeed roo paint job:

Bloggsy,

The new livery looks great, but the logos on the nacelles are a bit of overkill, bit too close to the tail...

Where as OzJet is comming in at a good time, will most likley have cheap fares and offers a business class product.

Pilot dude - I was under the impression that the WA based OzJet 737 has an all economy layout but i may be wrong.

XR are also apparently considering re-entering the KTA market.

pilotdude09
8th Aug 2007, 15:02
Not sure, according to the paper they are going to offer Karratha a business class product, so doubt that it would be the whole a/c, would be great though :)

Otherwise might have 2 or 3 rows of J and rest Y?

gas-chamber
21st Oct 2007, 11:36
Well it's now October, so why are we waiting?

Ref + 10
21st Oct 2007, 11:56
The pilots must have voted for the Bali service instead...

XRlent100
21st Oct 2007, 13:30
Heard it might be a 737 but maybe with a green tail?

Anything to add Ref?

pilotdude09
21st Oct 2007, 14:36
Alliance??

Would they run actual sched services though?

Well yeah im still waiting as well, so where the hell is Ozjet, Skywest and Virgin all saying that you are interested in flying here yet no action. People will support you if you have lower airfares than the greedy rat.

apacau
21st Oct 2007, 22:06
1) Alliance don't operate 737s
2) Alliance has a blue tail

Green tail??? All I can think of is the Toll and AAE freighters!

Ref + 10
21st Oct 2007, 23:08
XR is alluding to Network I believe. But XR well knows that Network don't have 737's ;) That's about all there is to add.

Capn Bloggs
21st Oct 2007, 23:17
Apart from a whole lot of extra bitumen for Network to taxi said 737s on??

flyingfox
22nd Oct 2007, 02:17
Qantas monopoly? Oz Jet are about to deploy their secret weapon. Roo Bars on all 73's!

SOPS
22nd Oct 2007, 14:40
Did NJS make the pilots pay for the new paint job.....or is under a bond system?:}

pilotdude09
22nd Oct 2007, 15:14
Something that may or may not make any difference but Virgin Blue are advertising very very heavily on GWN/WIN, fark they seem to be on every second ad break, paying for what you want, lounge ad and another new one i saw tonight :8

Wonder if thats the introduction for Karratha and Kal-boulder in prep for the onslaught of the e-jets into WA or am i reading too much into it? :}

topend3
22nd Oct 2007, 19:32
apparently nifty minesite were keen to get 737's in there which is where Network fit in, but that rumour has been around for some time.

ozjet would last 5 minutes flying into KTA with no contracts...

Led Zep
23rd Oct 2007, 02:26
You know, I recall seeing an ex-Ansett (it even had the red "A" on it!!!) tug around Network's way complete with 737 tow bar. It has been a few months since I have been around that part of the airport. Anyone else seen it?

Ref + 10
23rd Oct 2007, 02:32
Don't get excited Led Zep. Network have OzJet's maintenance guys based in their hangar and keep their spares over there. Nice try though!!

Skystar320
23rd Oct 2007, 04:44
Bingo:

Doesnt the mine site NIFTY want 733's? and there is a rumour that Network wants 732

Could always lease Ozjet's 732.................... Somewhere it said Ozjet are bringing in 4 more 732's?

Monopole
23rd Oct 2007, 12:03
Network are not getting 732s, Nifty will do better then 733s, and that's all i'm going to say about that :oh::oh:

Icarus2001
23rd Oct 2007, 12:06
This "Network are getting a 737 rumour" is about as reliable as Skywest getting A320's by last November.
EMB120 to 737 is a VERY big jump.

Ref + 10
23rd Oct 2007, 13:09
Icarus, it is a big jump isn't it??

This is a rumour network after all.:8

XRlent100
24th Oct 2007, 01:44
What about 737-500's? they sound like they'd be suited to Nifty's requirements.

Rotaiva
24th Oct 2007, 04:10
As unlikely as it is - Network getting 737's; NEVER underestimate Lindsay Evans. One very astute businessman!

Skystar320
24th Oct 2007, 04:45
I didn't say Network you :mad:

Ozjet op's the aircraft on behalf of Network

Skystar320
24th Oct 2007, 04:47
I didn't say Network you :mad:
Ozjet op's the aircraft on behalf of Network

Capt_SNAFU
24th Oct 2007, 05:04
A 732 would struggle to get out of KTA with any decent load. 1850m long and was 37 degrees there the other day. QF 800s struggle enough. Flap 25 bleeds off sometimes.

Icarus2001
24th Oct 2007, 08:10
Is there any work being done on the camp Nifty airstrip? Length? Sealed? Papi?

kimberleyEx
24th Oct 2007, 08:13
Off topic a bit. Do they still count the minties at Network. 2 per passenger wasn't it?

That would be a lot of minties for their proposed 737!

pilotdude09
24th Oct 2007, 08:20
A 732 would struggle to get out of KTA with any decent load. 1850m long and was 37 degrees there the other day. QF 800s struggle enough. Flap 25 bleeds off sometimes.

There are plans to extend the runway and reopen/finish the taxiways but with the Shire of Roebourne in charge, its like letting a monkey become prime minister! :ugh:

El Kabong
24th Oct 2007, 09:00
There are plans to extend the runway and reopen/finish the taxiways but with the Shire of Roebourne in charge, its like letting a monkey become prime minister!

What are you talking about, one already is!!!!!!!:)

galdian
24th Oct 2007, 10:45
And another one ready to take over??? :}

pilotdude09
24th Oct 2007, 11:42
Whoops should have said the Heli runway which was to be comissioned as a taxiway also but whats the bet that will never come to fruition. But apparntley runway works are starting after the west season has been and gone.

Also rumour i heard, main reason for this is because QF is limited to 106 passengers on direct KTA-BNE flights in Summer because they wont be getting in the air otherwise! This would also help in securing more direct services to not just BNE and Woodside and Rio are lobbying QF for more direct routes, Woodside in particular who would like to see Melbourne linked which is another location where they have investments and offices.

Monopole
24th Oct 2007, 11:50
Ozjet op's the aircraft on behalf of Network Not even :ugh::ugh:

Ref + 10
24th Oct 2007, 23:05
Icarus2001, yeah mate the strip has been upgraded already. It reopens on Friday. It's over 2km long, has papi and runway lights.

kimberleyEx, it ain't that way now. Think you're exaggerating your memory of the minties a little.

kimberleyEx
25th Oct 2007, 02:28
Ref + 10

Glad there is an imporvement there. Mate that was no exaggeration! Anyway all the best to the guys and gals that are presently at Network.

It is unfortunate though, that it took the departure of so many pilots for there to be an improvement.

Cheers

Brasilian Bird
25th Oct 2007, 03:30
The mintie counting has moved a few doors down... :}

Skystar320
25th Oct 2007, 03:32
Monopole

Enlighten us then.........

Capt_SNAFU
25th Oct 2007, 03:51
No sign of KTA being any longer when I was last up there. Which was only a few weeks ago. No notams about it being any longer. PAPI it has and RWY lights too but still 1850m long, though the RWY might be a little lower after my last landing there :uhoh::O

pilotdude09
25th Oct 2007, 04:55
No sign of KTA being any longer when I was last up there. Which was only a few weeks ago. No notams about it being any longer. PAPI it has and RWY lights too but still 1850m long

Apparntley they will be starting construction mid next year, but whether it happens, thats another story. Also meant to have terminal upgrades at the same time including customs processing area..........Who knows whats happening:ugh:

Icarus2001
25th Oct 2007, 09:11
Capt SNAFU I was talking about the Nifty airstrip. So now sealed with PAPI and lights huh, I eat my words then.

XRlent100
20th May 2008, 06:03
Pilotdude will be happy. :)

Media Release 2008-05-14 (3)

Skywest Announces Resumption of Karratha Services

Skywest announced today that subject to State Government approval, it was resuming services to Karratha twice per week with effect 27th May 2008. The two services will operate on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings departing Perth at 0530 in the morning and returning from Karratha at 0800.

Skywest’s Chief Executive Officer, Paul Daff, said “Skywest is resuming services to Karratha on the back of strong support from a resource company. The services will provide much needed capacity and competition onto Western Australia’s busiest regional service”.

“We hope to continue to grow these services over time and expand in conjunction with the support of our mining partner and the people of Karratha”, Mr Daff said.

Both services will be operated by 100-seater Fokker 100 jet aircraft.

“As with all of Skywest’s Fokker flights, the Karratha service will offer a quality economy class product of meals, in-flight bar and the most spacious economy legroom of any Western Australian airline,” Mr Daff said.

Karratha to Perth fares with Skywest start from $249 one way including taxes.

END OF MEDIA RELEASE

pilotdude09
20th May 2008, 13:32
Yeah its good news!

Just booked flights for days that XR operate with Qantas for a nice $750 the other day! :mad: :mad:

Ahwell next trip to Perth i might try to go XR but their days arent exactly convenient.

Hopefully this town actually figures out that if they want to keep something they have to support it.

But i know who this "Resource company" is, but i cant understand the secrecy??? their staff are going to be flying in their frigging uniforms. Anyway im sure they will say something about it soon. But then again what i've been told could be completely wrong!

Another thing thats going to be interesting is when the development at cape Preston starts, something like 6000 construction workers! Majority will be FIFO should be starting next year so hopefully Skywest would pick that contract up too.

Also theres a nickel mine being looked at south of K-town as well another couple thousand construction workers, once again FIFO.

So if XR can get either of those contracts they will be more than sweet.

Then theres all the little contracts as well.

Hell while im at it i'll let you all know whats happening at our airport:

Work started about a month or so ago on taxiway upgrades and runway upgrades. At the moment they have been Taxiway Bravo and Taxiway Foxtrot, the reconstruction should be finished in the next couple weeks. Think they are doing 7 stages. No idea what's next though as EDI Downer is pretty quiet on that front.

cunninglinguist
21st May 2008, 07:40
Hopefully this town actually figures out that if they want to keep something they have to support it.

Unlikely ! In late '94 QF Airlink started to operate into KA, PD etc with the locals bitching and whining about Ansetts monopoly pricing ( cheaper to fly PH-ML,SY,BN than PH-KA ), so what did they do when we arrived ?? AN dropped their prices and they continued to fly with AN :mad:
QF pulled out of PD and probably where not far from pulling KA when AN went belly up.
Alot of those Northern WA'ers deserve what they get :ouch:

pilotdude09
21st May 2008, 07:51
Alot of those Northern WA'ers deserve what they get

I totally totally agree with you. The thing is people in Karratha and im Sure Port/South Hedland is the same, they expect all these services but because the majority are city folk they have no idea that unless they support these small businesses/companies they aren't going to stick around because people want them but aren't actually using them.

We are finally getting some services back to town, some have already tried and failed and some are starting up. It's amazing how many places have tried and failed here a classic example is a butchers we only have woolies and coles, everyone rants and raves about the prices/quality yet when there was a butchers here he didnt do well enough and basically got driven out of town and several people have expressed interest in running one yet no one would support it or back it!

Anyway thats my rant for the day! they expect but don't support :ugh: :ugh: