PDA

View Full Version : Examiner recency

funfinn2000
23rd Jul 2007, 11:23
Hello gang, I have a question regarding rules if any pertaining to exminers on their recency of experience on aircraft for the purpose of skll tests. Some examiners on the JAA system have been known to do tests on certain machines without recent flight experience and I believe this to be a massive safety issue.

Any thoughts please

WD40
23rd Jul 2007, 17:50
Except in some very specific circumstances an examiner must be qualified (and current) to fly as pic of any a/c in which (s)he is examining as well as being current as an examiner. For example, to legally examine in a Multiengine piston, you will have taken a (MEP) LPC within the last 15 months. So the examiner will be as current as any 'normal' pilot on the class or type.

funfinn2000
23rd Jul 2007, 18:38
what about if you hav'nt flown a certain type of machine for 3 months and then you examine a pilot who is sitting his ppl and could have more recent experience than the examiner. I think that's a crazy. I know if the FAA system you need to have the 90 day experience in order to act as PIC with PAX but in a skills test the student is the PIC. I am just thinking out loud here

WD40
23rd Jul 2007, 18:58
I don't think it's that crazy. If a PPL candidate flew a practice flight the day before or the morning of a test (sensible thing!) then he probably would be more current than the examiner but bear in mind that the examiner must be 'officially current' (well spotted on the 90 day rule) and examiners have a lot more experience than the candidates.

(BTW on test, in single pilot a/c, the examiner is actually in command - candidate is P1s if they pass and Pu/t if not).

Speaking for myself, if there's any doubt about currency or familiarity with the a/c, I'll go up in it beforehand.

funfinn2000
23rd Jul 2007, 19:04
Ok thanks for that, I am actually talking about a complex machine i.e a light helicopter that would require a ceratain amount of respect

WD40
23rd Jul 2007, 19:08
Oops sorry - assumed you were talking fixed wing!
With my 2 hours experience on rotary I'm hardly qualified to comment but I entirely see your point.

funfinn2000
23rd Jul 2007, 19:10
very serious **** innit