PDA

View Full Version : Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???

A330AV8R
13th Jun 2007, 11:16
Anyone knows more about the 737 that landed on the wrong rwy in del yesterday ? :ugh:
oh boy here we go again . . . . . . apparantely it was a flight from Jammu to delhi , happened around 230 pm ???

safetypee
13th Jun 2007, 12:53
What has day and age go to do with humans making an error?
There are those who have made an approach to the wrong airport / runway, and those who will.
What I believe that you are questioning is the crew’s use of the navigation aids available in modern aircraft. These systems are rarely at fault, but the human ‘thinking’ software is full of bugs.

parabellum
13th Jun 2007, 12:57
Quite often the visibility in Delhi is very, very poor.

Lost at fl345
13th Jun 2007, 13:10
the viz is poor in delhi usually but due to fog.... which occurs in the morning v.v.v rarely in the afternoon.....

gatbusdriver
13th Jun 2007, 13:52
There are those who have made an approach to the wrong airport / runway, and those who will.

What a load of rubbish.

alf5071h
13th Jun 2007, 13:59
gatbusdriver, you appear to claim immunity to human error; perhaps you could share your wisdom with us. Or is this a ‘Teflon’ attitude – it won’t happen to me, I don’t make errors.

VONKLUFFEN
13th Jun 2007, 14:12
...busdrivers don't use RWY's . They use streets , roads and highways. Definitely an error won't happen.:E

His dudeness
13th Jun 2007, 14:19
Approached the wrong runway, luckily realized it, pulled up and landed with a very red face at the correct airport.

I did a foolish mistake. And I know it won´t be my last mistake, I´m quite sure.

Don´t throw stones while sitting in a glasshouse

A330AV8R
13th Jun 2007, 14:20
PARABELLUM
>>>>>Quite often the visibility in Delhi is very, very poor. <<<<<<<<

do the words ILS mean anything to you ? and if they do ,do low vis approaches mean anything as well ??:ugh:

we know what happened , I was simply trying to find out if anyone has more info on it .

A330AV8R
13th Jun 2007, 14:30
Bet delhi tower was doing the salsa after it happened !!!!! :ugh:but jokes apart thank god all are safe and sound .

10 bucks the skipper n F/O were going OH %%^& were F##$%D !!!

safetypee
13th Jun 2007, 14:42
VONKLUFFEN (post #7) – another non believer – or someone who does not wish to contribute anything of relevance to safety?
This thread is a good reminder of the particular hazards at Delhi, which apply to many other airports.
Also, consider the monsoon season – restricted visibility in rain. In these conditions, the use of the correct runway could be very important for the length required to stop in wet/flooded conditions.
Add to this the associated high workload in stormy conditions, procedural or language differences for those unfamiliar with the area; then we have ingredients for something much more serious than the crew’s embarrassment.

gatbusdriver
13th Jun 2007, 14:51
Sorry, I will elaborate (before we all get our knickers in a twist).

I didn't mean it couldn't happen to me (I obviously hope that it doesn't).

But to say There are those who have made an approach to the wrong airport / runway, and those who will. Is a load of rubbish. I would apply that statement to something like.......There are those that have missed getting the gear up on a V1 cut and those that will.

Quick question for Alf:

What percentage of pilots, over their career, have landed at the wrong airport or on the wrong runway?

I can assure you I am not infallable. But for the grace of God go I.

mutley320
13th Jun 2007, 15:34
Gatbusdriver, a better question might be , How many have nearly done it ?
I know i have , nearly.

jet_noseover
13th Jun 2007, 15:50
Some info on the incident:
NEW DELHI - A domestic flight arriving at New Delhi’s international airport landed on the wrong runway even though air traffic control was guiding it to the main airstrip, an airport official said Wednesday.
The SpiceJet flight carrying 160 passengers and crew arriving from Kashmir was being guided by air traffic to the main runway on Tuesday afternoon but veered off to an auxiliary runway and landed manually, he said.
“It’s not clear whether the instrument landing system was faulty or whether the pilot himself chose to land manually,” said an executive for the privately-run Indira Gandhi International Airport, asking not to be named.
“The two runways are basically next to each other. He mistook the secondary runway as the main runway. Fortunately the runway was absolutely clear. There was no obstruction that would have impeded the craft.”
India’s civil aviation agency and the airline were examining the incident, the executive said.
“Obviously this is a serious matter. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation and SpiceJet have decided to look into this,” he said.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/subcontinent/2007/June/subcontinent_June521
.xml&section=subcontinent&col=

So there. Quit squabbling.

jet_noseover
13th Jun 2007, 15:57
Jet lands on wrong runway at IGI
13 Jun, 2007 l 0026 hrs ISTlTIMES NEWS NETWORK

The Times of India:
NEW DELHI: The Delhi Airport came perilously close to a disaster on Tuesday afternoon when an aircraft landed on the wrong runway - which wasn't even in use at that time.
Luckily, there was neither any plane nor workers on routine maintenance on the closed runway when the Boeing 737-800 touched down. Thus a mishap was averted.
Initial reports suggest that the pilot did not use instrumental landing system either due to a fault in the system or by mistake, leading to the first of its kind incident at IGI.
Both the pilots of SpiceJet's Jammu-Delhi flight (SG 851) carrying 171 passengers have been derostered till a DGCA probe finds whose mistake led to the error. The incident happened around 2.30 pm - when only the main runway was in use.
"During the initial probe, the Air Traffic Controller's tapes were played. The tapes revealed that SpiceJet was given an instrumental landing approach for the main runway.
They also showed that the pilot acknowledged the instructions but he opted for visual approach and landed on the secondary runway. The wrong landing endangered lives of both passengers on board as also people on ground," said a highly placed source.
Moreover, both the pilots are Indians and supposed to be more well versed with airports here. "The cockpit voice recorder will also be examined to check if there were any sounds that could have distracted the plots' attention. We'll also see if there was any communication gap," said the source.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Jet_lands_on_wrong_runway_at_IGI/rssarticleshow/2118360.cms

Dream Land
13th Jun 2007, 16:03
Gatbusdriver, a better question might be , How many have nearly done it ?
I know i have , nearly Been there done that! :\

picu
13th Jun 2007, 16:19
Quote:

What a load of rubbish.

Surely you remember a Northwest flight landing at Brussels instead of Frankfurt, some years back???????

Avman
13th Jun 2007, 16:54
Just for the record, the Northwest into Brussels was essentially an ATC error. Enroute ATC had him on their strips (incorrectly) as going to EBBR and thus vectored him as such. Both EDDF and EBBR were landing on 25L that morning. When the crew failed to identify the LOC (having set up the FRA frequency) they asked appr for the frequency, which was given. Thinking it had changed and they had not received notification of this change, they set it up and landed on 25L - at EBBR! For sure a more alert crew should have picked up on lots of little clues. But remember, it was after a long eastbound overnight flight and the crew were being vectored by ATC from TOD onwards. More knowledgeable controllers, including those at EBBR, should have known that NWA didn't operate into EBBR and could have sought confirmation of destination.

HowlingWind
13th Jun 2007, 17:51
Well, not long ago CO into KEWR landed on a taxiway -- or doesn't that count? :ouch:

capt ronweb
13th Jun 2007, 18:57
Never mind New Delhi, I do recall with complete clarity being at the holding point at Kirkwall (EGAA) for RW27, the wind being 270/15, overcast 600,as I recall just above the non precision MDA. It was a DME ARC approach to both runways in those days more that 10 but less than 20 years ago,approaching from the south you just turned left for 09 and right for 27, no bother we thought!! Anyway we heard, I'll just call him "boyo" make his position report "established on the arc" no mention of what runway but at this stage we had only been on the frequency for a few minutes so, shame on me I "imagined" he had been specific to the controller previously , after all the wind was westerly at 15 kts!! To cut a long story short in the flight deck we are both looking out to our right ie to the east straining to catch sight of "boyo" making his landing so we could then get on our way back to EGPD.
There are few ways to describe our surprise when out of the left corner of my eye I noticed a movement and upon looking to the left who did we see racing past with his 15 knot tailwind but our friend "boyo":=. He managed to land and stop, what a micacle!
It all went quiet for a while and then the controller asked "boyo" to give him a call....on the phone, I was not privy to that conversation (******)and I never saw or heard anything further about it.
We certainly learned a great deal from that afternoon. We got back in one piece and still flying in Scotland.
Good night and good luck.

g1344304
13th Jun 2007, 20:50
clearly people are forgetting the ryanair flight that landed at the wrong airport last year. It was meant to land at City of Derry airport and landed at a disused army strip on near the city

the bald eagle
13th Jun 2007, 23:06
Did Air Malta and i think BIA (British Island Airways) fudge it up a few years ago at LGW?
I stand to be correceted but i think both mistook the taxiway for the main runway but i don't know the eventual out come of the reasons - Any takers??

spannerless
14th Jun 2007, 12:43
:E

6 months before I arrived at my first posting as a ground eng at Northolt a Panam 707 landed at Northolt mystifying Heathrow tower when the pilot announced he had landed and requested taxi instructions!

Now far be it for me to Poo poo this story as fantasy but the story has been repeated over a number of years from different sources.

Apparently a lot of aircraft when vectoring in from the north visually to Heathrow use to use the gasometer towers of Harrow and Northolt (I think long time ago) to line theirs selves up.

Well this said aviator did line himself up perfectly runway 25 and promptly called in for a short stop, very short stop, with trips to colourful metaphors and back!

End shot was the aircraft had to be de-fuelled to a minimum and all the passengers and baggage removed so the aircraft could depart to the correct airfield.

So landing on the wrong runway isn’t so difficult at all!

It happened recently in Ireland, good job the local grunts had moved out they might have shot at it thinking it was an intruder!

Professionally it shouldn’t happen but it does!

We shouldn’t witch hunt but should learn and understand these slips in decision making in the hope of preventing further incidents or even worse fatalities as a result!

While the soggy seat to stick interface exists it will happen!

And No Mr Micro Chip isn’t infallible either!
:ok:

Groundgripper
14th Jun 2007, 13:50
6 months before I arrived at my first posting as a ground eng at Northolt a Panam 707 landed at Northolt mystifying Heathrow tower when the pilot announced he had landed and requested taxi instructions!
Now far be it for me to Poo poo this story as fantasy but the story has been repeated over a number of years from different sources.
Absolutely true. The two gasometers concerned were at South Harrow and Southall. As far as I recall, coming over Harrow Hill the South Harrow gasometer lined you up nicely for Northolt, the Southall one for Heathrow. I can personally recall a very low fly-by of my parents' house in South Harrow sometime in the mid- to late-1960s by a Swissair DC8 who nearly made the same mistake but realised in the nick of time and exited stage left on full power amidst much smoke and noise!
That's why the South Harrow gasometer now bears a large NO↑ and the Southall one an equal sized LH↑.
GG

Dysonsphere
14th Jun 2007, 13:52
Also the one in Southall which still has a big white arrow on the side with the letters LH on the side it points to the crosswind runway which is out of use now I think.

The AvgasDinosaur
14th Jun 2007, 14:04
From Air-Britain here are two pictures of the aforesaid Pan-Am Boeing at Northolt.
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001608/
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001607/
Credit George Trussell Collection/www.abpic.co.uk
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

ISO100
14th Jun 2007, 14:30
What about the Eirjet Airbus operating from Liverpool to Londonderry, (for Ryanair) that landed at a nearby RAF station by mistake. Early last year.

I also believe that there have been several incidents down through the years of Manchester bound traffic heading for Woodford by mistake. I am not sure if any actually landed though.

The AvgasDinosaur
14th Jun 2007, 15:02
Its true Woodford almost had an Air France Caravelle and a Saturn Airways DC8-61 Conversely Manchester had a wonderful display from a USAF F-111 from Upper Heyford that should have been at Woodford Air Show. I believe the noise complaints got to 3 pages that day.
Be lucky
David
P.S. What price collateral damage or friendly fire with nav like that :eek:

old,not bold
15th Jun 2007, 09:05
A VC10 landed at Sharjah instead of Dubai, years ago, from the East, I think. It's wasn't the only time someone's got muddled there.

They did a roller, having realised that it was wrong just after being committed to touch down.

The skipper was disciplined for taking off into controlled airspace without clearance, because it was felt there were several good excuses for getting the wrong runway, as indeed there were. (Vis poor, navaids poor, ATC off the ball etc etc).

I have the record, i think, for identifying the wrong runway and landing on it twice in one day after getting clearance to finals and then to land on the right one (Orange military airbase for Orange civil, and Rome Fumincino (?spelling) for Rome Ciampino). My inadequate excuse was that I had no navaids, the weather was awful, I was using a half-million map, and no-one told me there was another runway close-by so I landed on the first one I saw in about the right place. Light aircraft, admittedly, and who cares, but I'm not going to criticise anyone for getting it a little bit wrong in the land-on-the-right-runway department, even in a big shiny jet with lots of dials and things.

Respeck, Mr Murphy, Sir.

A330AV8R
15th Jun 2007, 09:35
Delhi airport has 60 STARS 42 SIDs , Its the only airport certified for CAT IIIA ops , has 2 runways 9 /27 10 / 28 ........ yes the promity of 9 and 10 are very close but not enough to land on the wrong RWY . . . . . and secondly if you know nothing about this airport do not make that foolish assumption that everyone else knows nothing about it either ...... Your just prooving your ignorance .

the point of this thread is not to put anyone down but to simply gather more information on what happened to that spicejet 737

A330AV8R
15th Jun 2007, 09:42
Spoke to a friend of mine whose a Capt in Spice on the 73 . . . and he said the skipper in question always did have a problem , incidents and so on plus hes x air force or army dont remember which one but there you go ..... another maverick in out midst !

rest my case

RAT 5
15th Jun 2007, 10:45
Years ago, going into Cairo for an easterly VOR/DME, on the northern Rwy. Resident sand storm in attendance. B757. Having flown from the south there was much mapshift by the time we reached Cairo; suspected not verified. The correct RWY was selected in the FMC and an extended centreline created. A/c on a radar intercept heading; thus HDG SEL & VOR displayed on HSI. LNAV never a good idea in non-GPS a/c on base leg.
A/c flew straight though the purple line on PNF's map. Very disconcerting and un-nerving. VOR morse confirmed as the northly Rwy. Vis about 3lm's. Nothing to be seen and the E/W rwy's are about 2km's apart. Believe the raw data and fly the VOR. It turned out correct.
Consider what would have happened had a crew used LNAV to intercept finals on the MAP. As it happened the amount and direction of map shift would have put them very close to the southerly Rwy. If the lights had been on, and in the given vis, I'm sure someone would have landed on the takeoff runway, unless radar was alert.
I have also seen a B737, classic non GPS, line up on finals and make a late G/A at Murcia, where they were building a second Rwy on the north side of the terminal when the correct open rwy is on the south side. CAVOK VOR approach?? It's not difficult to do.

There is a new PNF call out: "ooops ooops, pull up".

RECSAM
15th Jun 2007, 11:10
Back in the 1970s Iraq Airways used to fly Tridents from Baghdad to London via Paris le Bourget, later changed to Orly. One evening the crew forgot that this change in destination had been made and flew into le Bourget. Once on the ground they realised their mistake, did a 180 on the runway and took off once more for Orly, evidently hoping that no one would notice. I remember it because a few days later I was on the selfsame flight: this time all that happened was a passenger decided to visit the toilet shortly before landing and didn't re-appear until after touchdown.

Back at NH
15th Jun 2007, 11:45
BIA One Eleven at LGW was just after 08R closed at 2330 for re-surfacing work. Masses of vehicles with an impressive display of orange flashing lights not yet arrived on 08R so it was in complete darkness. Visual approach to 08L, and all ok until the f/o asks "Are we on the right one?". Seed of doubt now firmly planted, and went one to the left from 08L to taxyway 2 instead of 08R to 08L. Caused distinct colour change in the lower half of the uniforms of a BA 737 crew taxying for departure and they made a rapid exit onto the grass.

Is that the same markdobson that drove a 1-11 outta LTN in '87?

Redcarpet
15th Jun 2007, 11:49
Unbelievable to see the arrogance of those on this thread that think they are immune from making basic errors. They are always the people to be most wary of. :mad: Airfranz, your comments about the ex military and therefore maverick captain are obviously tounge in cheek and I appreciate your sense of humour.

Bedlamair
18th Jun 2007, 13:26
I get somewhat bemused by some of the "It could happen to anyone" responses to these sorts of incident. They are, at the end of the day, unforced errors. I do feel we have taken the "No blame" culture, vital for the improvement of safety, to an illogical extreme when we fail to say that the pilot in such an incident has been unprofessional. In my experience, these incidents could have been avoided had the briefing, for example, been approached with a greater level of diligence. It was Big Airways who noticed that the spread of incidents was pretty random except for the fact that incidents hardly ever occured on line checks and that a "lack of rigour" was a uniform thread running through those that did.

There are some famed incidents mentioned above, from NW at Brussels to the mistaking of Ballykelly (was it?) for Derry and mistaking Northolt for LHR (I'm familiar with all those fields - as I am with DEL) - in all the cases there were so many signposts the crews failed to pay attention to that the mistake was coming. We are all human and all have the ability to make some horrendous errors - but it's our job to anticipate, trap or mitigate those errors before they come to fruition. Lets not allow our "no blame" culture to lure us into the mindset that these mistakes were unavoidable or inevitable.

gatbusdriver
18th Jun 2007, 13:54
a very sensible post.

320capt.
18th Jun 2007, 19:06
Guys,
Just the other day landing into delhi, ATIS said runway 09 for arrival the area control started vectors saying "vectors for RWY 09". Finally when i get the final vector am told cleared for ILS 10..

Its pretty crazy at delhi these days s anyoe can make an error US pilots or the ATC. The bottom line is be careful and most importantly cross check the frequencys fed in and always call the RWY number in full including if there is a parallel with Left or Right for which you get approach clearence or landing clearence.

Best way to catch a error before its too late

Union Jack
18th Jun 2007, 22:27
Not strictly a wrong runway landing as such, but the tale of the BOAC Comet 4 which successfully survived a touch-and-go in a game park in Kenya is worth remembering, vide http://www.airliners.net/articles/read.main?id=5 and do a search on "game park".

Then read the whole article and, whilst I appreciate that times have changed, reflect on the old saying "There but for the grace of God ....."

Jack

PS It was along time ago, but perhaps someone out there has even more info on the touch-and-go?

triplegem
22nd Jun 2007, 14:46
Doesn't the ILS freq and Identifier appear on the PFD when tuned and locked on? I always return to basic when in doubt,ident and cross check the codes.:hmm:

Bedlamair
23rd Jun 2007, 08:48
Just the other day landing into Delhi, ATIS said runway 09 for arrival, the area control started vectors saying "vectors for RWY 09". Finally when i get the final vector am told cleared for ILS 10..

Yes, some ATIS broadcasts can be a bit odd (PVG recently was saying the dep rway was 17... despite the notamed closure and the large flashing light equipped vehicles parked all over the take off threshold) but this should be taken into account, like any other input, and viewed in the light of all other inputs/knowledge/experience. The fact that DEL only has an ILS on 10 for easterly landings would have alerted me to ask the question of approach (I avoid non-precisions when I can). Unless a runway is closed DEL tend to use both for landings depending on whether you're off to the domestic terminal or the international terminal (one on the North side, one on the South).

This is back to my original point. What happens is we get a little too used to having all the decisions made for us and following every instruction a little too slavishly. I am always hearing people "ask" to deviate around weather - if they say no will you fly through it (you generically, not directed at you 320capt)? I always tell ATC I am deviating for weather and, if appropriate, give them a couple of options on which way. It comes back to applying a slightly sceptical/cynical view to all information we receive from whatever source and when the "disagree" light flashes in our head to question what is going on. As I wrote earlier, stop - trap - mitigate ... preferably in that order.

modtinbasher
23rd Jun 2007, 15:54
I was mowing the lawn one Sunday morning at my house in Llantwit Major situated about a mile from the RAF St Athan runway threshold, and about 6 miles from Cardiff International Airport at Rhoose.

Oh, I thought, that sounds BIG and CLOSE, looked up, and sure enough, a 747, legs down and seconds from contact on Saints strip. Knowing that Saints ATC was not usually manned on a Sunday, whist Rhoose was, I mused silently about how they would eventually get rid of the aircraft after landing, as I watched it disappear beyond the rooflines. (I'm not sure that Saints strip would have the capacity)

A couple of moments later an enormous roar filled the sky and in the distance the rear end of the 74 could be seen as he blasted skyward! I had a little chuckle wondering what had been said on the flight deck. I think it would have certainly concentrated the FO's mind if he'd have had his hands on the controls at the time. If it had been the Capt, he would of course be "just testing"!

More to the point, was it tea break time at ATC Cardiff International??

Spitoon
23rd Jun 2007, 18:29
As a controller, over the last thirty years or so I have seen many things, that shouldn't have, happen because of an error - made by a human - somewhere in the system. These errors have resulted in two aircraft landing on the wrong runway and a good many events which could have resulted in the same. I'd like to think that my actions have sometimes averted errors of this nature occurring on occasions - for those familiar with Jim Reason's Swiss cheese model, plugging a hole in one of the barriers.

I am not fool enough to claim that I have never made an error. Indeed one error led to a serious incident - in retrospect, it's obvious what I should have done, at the time however, my decision process appeared logical and justified. Fortunately on that occasion someone else spotted what was going on and was able to resolve the problem before anyone came to grief. And that's how our system works. We have comprehensive procedures to follow, we train, we do competence checks, we report incidents so that others can be made aware of potential pitfalls, all these more than many other industries - but we can all stuff up.....because we're human. Anyone who claims otherwise frightens me!

We - everyone working professionally in aviation - should be continually alert for errors and to query anything that does not seem right - or does not fit the picture. And not only must we be ready to point out errors that others may have made but we must be prepared for someone else to point out an error that we may have made. In this way we can mitigate some of the hazards that us humans inevitably introduce into everything we do. We won't catch everything and that why things still go wrong.....but we can plug some of the holes in the cheese.

And, hopefully, people will stop reducing a complex convergence of often independent events to someone taking a tea break!

(rant over - I'm off to watch Dr Who)

Bedlamair
24th Jun 2007, 11:16
I could not agree more, Spitoon, beautifully put.:ok:

Rumet
26th Jun 2007, 09:49
Avman,

I'd been wondering about the EBBR instead of EDDF case for a while, would you know where a detailed report of that event could be available ?

Thx

Rumet

JamesT73J
26th Jun 2007, 13:30
That's why the South Harrow gasometer now bears a large NO↑ and the Southall one an equal sized LH↑.

I remember reading the joke here that the Southall one bears the word 'YES' on it :E

iflydc8
26th Jun 2007, 13:40
Marv Poland was plowing snow at tiny Iosco County Airport
Friday when he saw what looked like a dark cloud to his side.

Glancing, a DC-8 loomed into focus - bearing down, all 70 tons, wanting to
share Poland's runway.

"I got out of the way," said Poland, airport manager. "We have low
approaches often, but they usually power back up when they see the airport.
This is the first time one of these big birds has landed."

Shoe-horning might better describe the BAX Global jet's 10 a.m. landing. The
DC-8 pilot mistook the East Tawas airport for the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport -
the former Wurtsmith Air Force Base - eight miles to the north. He was
heading there for maintenance at Triad International Maintenance Co., an
aircraft repair company on the former base.

However, rather than landing his jet hulk on Wurtsmith's 300-foot wide
runway, the pilot squeezed into Iosco's 4,800-foot long and 100-foot wide
runway. On Friday, the DC-8s outboard engines, much less its 142-foot wing
span, extended will beyond the Iosco runway lights.

"It used every inch of runway space to land here," Poland said. "He did a
good job landing. Right in the center of the runway."

Local private pilots gathered at the Iosco Airport Friday to marvel at the
cargo plane pilot's feat. Poland estimated he landed with 800 feet of runway
to spare.

They hoped, too, to see the big bird take-off.

It wasn't to be. As darkness neared and managers still awaited a new flight
crew and a Federal Aviation Administration waiver to fly the plane out, they
postponed takeoff until 10 a.m. today.

That means a return to duty for 15 East Tawas Fire Department members and a
half dozen fire and rescue trucks - should something go wrong today. It also
means re-evacuating a home and two hunting camps that lie off the runway's
end, emergency crews said.

That's because the DC-8 needs at least 3,500 feet of runway to take off.
Iosco's 4,800-foot runway is ample, but only if all goes well. If not, the
airfield leaves no stopping room for a jet that size, airport managers said.

"Put it this way, if I had to do either, I'd rather land the plane than
take-off from here," Poland said.

The pilot who landed the DC-8 may disagree. He appeared abashed at his
landing error Friday.

"Everybody left the poor pilot alone," said Bill Deckett, East Tawas Fire
Chief and a private pilot. "We gave him his space. He was so embarrassed."

Yet in truth, the pilot had little to guide him, area flyers say. DC-8s are
designed to be radar-controlled, but the radar that once guided pilots to
the former Wurtsmith Air Force Base was dismantled when the base closed in
1993. That means all aircraft, big or small, fly by the same "visual" flight
rules. The pilot's eye only must pick the right runway, area flyers say.

To complicate matters, Friday's DC-8 pilot was talking by radio to
Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport officials as he made his approach to the East Tawas
airfield. Oscoda flight controllers told him they had plow trucks on the
runway - just as the pilot spotted Poland's snowplow. Then, just after the
pilot told controllers to "clear the plows," Poland exited the runway.

"It definitely added to his confusion," Deckett said.

On Friday, TIMCO crews brought in a specialized tug to push the jet back to
the runway start, in position for today's takeoff. Workers planned to
dismantle runway lights early today so the jet's thrust didn't destroy them.

Still, the flight delay made airport managers nervous.

"There's just a thin asphalt layer out there," Poland said. "The longer they
wait the worse it could get. That plane would have sunk right in if it had
landed in the summer."

On today's frozen airfield, Iosco emergency managers say they're poised,
fingers crossed, for an uneventful takeoff.

Ignition Override
27th Jun 2007, 04:55
In the US at some airlines, when the 'flying pilot' lines up with the correct runway during a visual approach, the 'non-flying' pilot is NOT required to state out loud "localizer active" or "glideslope active', even though these are required to be tuned, identified as the only back-up.

And when the localizer CDI is NOT seen, and no glideslope is seen coming down on the ADI? Same thing, on a visual and lined up on the WRONG runway (maybe at the wrong airport..), same problem, maybe too subtle to detect-we have no callout unless somebody notices. We are very conditioned to hear nothing on a visual approach except "gear down, flaps 25, flaps 40: landing checklist"). Nothing, except sometimes, "did he clear us to land?
Most parallel runways look identical with reduced visibility. SSALR, MALSR, ALSF I, II?

But one day, only after people die during a collision because of human mistakes and it involves passenger planes (not cargo), it will probably be put into the aircraft manuals in the SOPA section.

With the partially covered and fragmented radio calls (beeeeep 446, descend and maintain buzzzzz....contact final on 120.92 with your airspeed.....:confused:) which are on every radio freq. at larger US airports during constant vectors and altitude/airspeed changes, even a runway change sometimes, crews are lucky to find ten seconds during which they can even identify the other pilots localizer freq:hmm:.