PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Airfield

Lord Zeberdee
11th Jun 2007, 17:46
Chaps and Chapesses

Im looking to combine my two loves flying and camping this summer.

And Id appreciate any recomendations for decent airfields to visit in the UK

Ta

helicopter-redeye
11th Jun 2007, 18:08
How about Gigha/ Glenforsa/ Colonsay/ Coll as minor fields. If the going gets tough (or the midges bite) you can always do a runner to the local hotel...

Talkdownman
11th Jun 2007, 19:21
Camping on Colonsay is restricted.
http://www.colonsay.org.uk/camping.html

Mike Cross
11th Jun 2007, 20:25
Come to Oaksey Park on 4/5 August. It's the third annual Luscombe Rally but we'll make an exception for you. Barbecues both days, spot landing and flour bombing, dinner and a band with Lusty Luscombe Ale on Saturday Evening and a Full English Breakfast on Sunday. Anyone making a donation of at leat a fiver to All Saints Church, Oaksey gets free landings. For anyone else it's a tenner.

More info here. (http://www.flyer.co.uk/flyins/flyin.php?a=98) I would point you at www.europeanluscombes.org.uk but it's tempo discombobulated at the moment.

P.S. The downside is that I'm i/c Catering

Mike

cirrus01
11th Jun 2007, 20:27
Way out to the South -West........

recently toured and camped on the airfield at Bodmin and previously at Lands End, and also at Bolt Head and Perranporth where camping was just a short walk away ( 400 mtrs ish ) :cool::cool:

BolkowJunior
11th Jun 2007, 20:48
I think Wellesbourne has a campsite across the way and a decent cafe

DX Wombat
12th Jun 2007, 00:22
Shobdon has its own site and The Caravan Club has a nice one at Amberley Fields next to Gatwick. It also has several sites lurking under flightpaths in various parts of the UK. There is also a site opposite Halfpenny Green where the cafe (on the airfield) is now run by the local pub which has a reputation for good food. :ok:

ifitaintboeing
12th Jun 2007, 10:12
I flew in then camped at Shobdon last weekend with the kids. They loved it! You can park your plane within yards of the camp site, and the toilet/shower block is very clean.

Food/bar at the club is open 0900-late for the mega-breakfast and more. I think they've got a BBQ this weekend also.

Regards,

ifitaint...

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 11:25
Skegness of course, camp under your wing.

maxdrypower
12th Jun 2007, 12:37
Try Andreas Isle of man . PM Gcolyer he pretty much lives there , weve just come back from the TT and stayed there but did not camp. However enough peopel were . Gcolyer should give youa the gen

Flyboynick
12th Jun 2007, 16:50
You're very welcome to camp under the wing or in the on airfield campsite at the PFA Robin Hood Rally at Hucknall. There's an Air Display on Saturday, bar all day and night along with food and loads of other attractions.
See the PFA website for details
Nick

rateone
13th Jun 2007, 12:00
You could try Plockton. They are usually accommodating unless the Navy are in town - contact PDG Helicopters in Inverness. Town is a 15 minute walk from the field. Good food at the Plocton Inn or Plocton Hotel but watch out for the midges. Or, you could try Dornoch. Good grass strip close to the beach - Highland Coonsel have the details.

gbpck
13th Jun 2007, 12:20
Compton Abbas is a must

xrayalpha
13th Jun 2007, 17:02
People are always welcome to camp at Strathaven. No showers but hot water, kettle and microwave!

Very best wishes

Lord Zeberdee
13th Jun 2007, 17:49
What a fantastic response :D
I think I have enough locations there to last me a couple of years!!!
Thanks to all for taking time out to reply, if anyone has further recommendations feel free to post
Best Regards
LZ

jezbowman
14th Jun 2007, 09:16
Don't forget Welshpool - there's a top quality campsite in walking distance (about 15mins). Out the airfield gates turn right and follow the road over the Seven, then make a left and the campsite is on the left.

I dont think Skeggy are happy with camping under the wing since they moved the parking area as it attacts other campers into that area. They were against it when I asked a couple of years ago, but certainly worth a call to be sure.