PDA

View Full Version : FAA and JAA Instructor Ratings.

davey147
22nd May 2007, 03:50
If I have FAA CFI CFII and 1000 hours dual given. If I convert these instructor ratings to a JAA FI would I receive a FI (Ristricted) or a full instructor rating?

Has anyone done this?

BigGrecian
22nd May 2007, 15:42
Wrong forum - try flight instructors but the following applies.

Section H1.10 From LASORS applies.

In most cases a full course is required however there are exceptions .
There is a lot more the FI Course than the FAA CFI in terms of how to instruct etc as the PPL course if much more of a fundamentals through to PPL (Building block technique)

In short contact the UK CAA.

rudestuff
29th May 2007, 15:45
I agree. Of course the FAA don't use the building-block technique. In fact, they don't even use real planes - you get your licence once you've saved enough coupons from cereal boxes....

johnnypick
30th May 2007, 08:31
You'd get the restricted rating.
I was going to do the JAA FI rating, having instructed at a US school teaching mainly CAA PPL's, the CAA however kept moving the goal posts on being unrestricted straight away, I had the 25 solo sign off's 900 hours dual given, all signed by an examiner. They still weren't happy, and I'd have to start from scratch, so I thought B******s and didn't bother.

romeodelta
30th May 2007, 09:29
You have to do the course. However, the ''course requirements'' are reduced. Normally you need 30hrs flight and 125hrs ground. When you are the holder of an ICAO FI license the flight time is reduced to 15hrs and the ground requirements are lowered to 30hrs.

So it will still cost you a lot but a lot less:}

lostcomm
1st Jun 2007, 06:54
I had to do the whole course. Theory and 30 hrs of flight training. And I had 780 hrs as CFI under FAA and I was a CFII and MEI at the time.
LC

romeodelta
1st Jun 2007, 10:12
Why the whole course? Didn't you do your CFI renwal after 2 years? You can read about the reduced requirements in the lasors. I'm in a bit of a hurry now but I'll look for the reference page tonight.

vic1
5th Jun 2007, 11:20
Thanks Romeo Delta,
For the info of reduced syllabi if you are an ICAO FI. How do u recieve these credits? Do i have you write to the CAA? or contact the FIC conducting company?
Thanks for any responses.

lostcomm
8th Jun 2007, 11:04
I did my conversion course in 2002. I couldnt get any reduced hours at the time. Looks like they changed it or maybe it depends on JAA member state.
have fun doing what you already have in your licence all over again.
Even if it is reduced. :bored:

porridge
14th Jun 2007, 06:49
Davey147
I have done several ICAO conversion courses for FI's as a FIC instructor (and BTW I hold all the FAA Instructor ratings, as well as the South African CAA Instructors too).
Mostly it is not a quantum leap for most motivated FI's to convert.
Unfortunately they (the CAA) will only issue you with a restricted FI after you have done the 15 hour conversion course - this applies to well qualified personnel from the RAF, so no exceptions. However, we have been told that an employer (flight school) may write a letter after you have been doing some instruction at the establishment asking for your restriction to be lifted without having to do the 25 solo sign-offs.
PM me if you need more info
Porridge

AviatorJack
30th Jun 2007, 05:58
rudestuff I agree. Of course the FAA don't use the building-block technique. In fact, they don't even use real planes - you get your licence once you've saved enough coupons from cereal boxes....

Sorry, excuse me, is this sarcasm or real? You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I have instructed both FAA and JAA pilots and used all techniques for all students. Good instructors realise that not all students are the same.

I will defend the states to the end as it is the best country in the world for GA and anyone who has flown there a lot will probably agree with me, no one can do it as good as the yanks.

Oh and if anyone thinks I am biased, I am a British pilot!

B2N2
3rd Jul 2007, 01:01
Oh that was sarcasm..
It's a crying shame that the CAA is so stuck in their old ways.
If you have proof (logbook, training records or otherwise) you should be able to get an unrestricted FI after just a short conversion.
Alas..they rather have good people walk away

Duchess_Driver
3rd Jul 2007, 16:07
...British Pilot...American GA System please!

Much more 'can-do' approach & attitude in all aspects.