PDA

View Full Version : Getting an FAA PPL(A) and self fly hire on helis in Kissimmee, Florida ???

Aer Maritz
10th May 2007, 07:53
:O :)
Hello all.
I am an Irish national, middle east based 8000hr current rotary ATPL (H) with IR, multi, etc.
I have a lapsed IAA CPL (A) IR with a little under 2000 hrs, mostly instructing.
I am taking my family to Florida for a month at the end of June and i would like to try and do some flying while there:eek:
Can anyone advise me of a local area flying club or school where i could possibly get current and obtain an FAA PPL (A). The last time i made enquiries with several schools by email and phone they didn't seem to understand what i wanted to do and i was generally told that i would need to fly anything up to 40 hours, etc, etc!!!
I haven't flown fixed wing for about 5 years, but based on experience i think around 5 hours should do to it to become recurrent and do a flight check with a competent instructor, on a 172 or similar?:rolleyes:
Also, can anyone recommend an on-line FAA approved school where i can take the writtens for a PPL?
And is it possible to self fly-hire in Orlando something like a B206 using an ICAO ATPL(H)?
Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but my fixed wing licence is gathering dust and i miss flying something with the blades fixed on ;) and if i can get an FAA PPL i would like to do some fun flying for a change as well as taking my 9 year old son with me and letting him experience what flying is really about outside of a PS2!!!:hmm:
I also believe that i will need to go through a finger print and security check with the TSA? Any information if this can be done locally in Florida, how long, etc???
I appreciate any response to this.
Many thanks.
Aer Maritz

Flyin'Dutch'
12th May 2007, 09:53
You can get an FAA (based on/restricted) license on the back of your IAA licences.

No need to get a freestanding/unrestricted one.

Your medical is valid for the unrestricted one as well.

Once you have that you only need a BFR and away you go.

No need for TSA/VISA etc etc

Biggest problem will be to get the paperwork sorted if your trip is before the end of next week.

Google FAA foreign licence

Good luck.

Aer Maritz
13th May 2007, 04:08
:hmm:
Hello soCal App
Thanks to you and Flying Dutch for your responses.
As I stated my (A) licence has lapsed and to return to Ireland to re-validate it would require more effort than it is worth, as I don't expect to fly fixed wing on a commercial basis again.
What I am loking for is a simple PPL (A) so I can take my son flying at the weekend and I thought that as I will be in Florida for a month it would be an opportunity to do some flying :rolleyes: I can take him flying in a helicopter anytime bit I would like to show him that aeroplane pilots are real people, if not as skilled ;) as helicopter drivers :ok:
I did have a temporary FAA CPL (H) in the early 90's but it has gone AWOL over the years!
If I could get a PPL in Florida, I could then validate it here in Dubai and rent locally as well as doing the same in Ireland and England.
However, as things stand in the US with the restrictions imposed on non-US citizens for flight training, I think i will leave have it and go down the local route here when I have the time.
It is a shame as I remember how easy it was to walk into the local FAA in 1992, get a cert and be airborne in under an hour:sad:
What to do! :{

Aer Maritz
13th May 2007, 05:42
:O
Hello again soCal
I will be in Florida for around 25 days from the 19th of June. This is why I didn't expect a problem in flying the 3 hours. I actually wanted to try and fly around 10 hours while there.
If I contact the FAA and if they can find my issue number for the emp CPL(H) that was issued, do you think that would help?
I may be able to get the TSA clearance in Dahran and i can sit the FAA exams here in Dubai.
So the only real issue might be a nominated flight school and the special flight visa, which I assume I can get at the American Embassy here in Dubai.
Again, thanks for the advice

Aer Maritz
14th May 2007, 03:51
:)

Thanks again SoCal for your time.

I have found my FAA CPL (H) licence number, so I will submit this to the FAA. At least then I might be able to hire a helicopter.

As for the 10 or so hours, my plan was to do around 5 hours dual, get a flight check and fly the rest solo! The 10 hours is only based on the fact that my wife would probably get a bit annoyed if I spend the whole time in Florida on a busmans holiday hanging around an airfield!!! :=

Anyway, if the FAA come back with a reasonable response, I will contact a flight school and see if I can make a booking. If I need to I will sit the exams there. However, there is an FAA approved examination centre here in Dubai, so I am also checking with the regional FAA to see if they can be done here prior to departure if the nominated flying school is acceptable.

The TSA fingerprint check can be done in Saudi Arabia with Saudi Aramco, which is only a 2 hour flight.

And if all else fails, I will spend the money on a dual P-51 ride while there!!!

;)

NH2390
14th May 2007, 12:50
My understanding is the Visa is only required for more than 18 hours of training per week and if the purpose of the trip is to train.

If you're coming for a holiday and only want 5 hours or so it shouldn't be required.

Of course, you will need TSA approval, and they may not understand that you don't need the visa.

I have another suggestion for you if you can send me a pm.

Aer Maritz
15th May 2007, 04:46
:)

Thank you again for you replies.

As I stated in my first post, I will be in Florida anyway on holiday. Being there I thought that I would take advantage of the opportunity :confused: to do some flying :hmm:

However, it all seems to be a little too much effort :ugh:

I am a professional pilot, I hold a current ICAO ATPL and where I operate requires probably a deeper level of security checks than the TSA.

I fully understand the situation post 9/11 and I am happy to comply with all the requirements, but to have to go through the hoops to fly a simple 172 is probably not worth the effort :sad:

NH2390, thank you and I will PM you. SoCal thanks again for your help. I see you offer similar advise freely to other posters on Prune and I really appreciate your making the effort to update me.

Having said this, I still would like to fly, so if not a P-51 :O then I might approach a club an take a flight with an Instructor and my son in the back.

It is a shame that thinks have become this way, but this is what we have to put up with in then modern age :(