PDA

View Full Version : Council welcomes McArthur River mine decision

mootyman
30th Apr 2007, 10:20
With an airline in N.T. ramping up for this expansion, this news can not be good.
The Northern Land Council (NLC) has applauded a Supreme Court decision which effectively ceases expansion operations at the McArthur River mine in the Northern Territory.
In October last year the Territory's Mines Minister Chris Natt approved Xstrata's plan to turn the McArthur River mine, near Borroloola, into an open cut operation.
Traditional Aboriginal owners argued the approval process was flawed because the Territory Government failed to follow proper procedures under the Mines Management Act or take environmental concerns into consideration.
Today Justice David Angel ruled in favour of the traditional owners.
The NLC's Norman Fry says it vindicates those who opposed the expansion.
"You simply can't trample over the rights of traditional Aboriginal people from Borroloola and McArthur River region," he said.
"You simply cannot trample over the environmental processes in 2007 that you could in the 1960s and '70s. It's just not on."
A statement released by McArthur River Mining says the company is disappointed with the decision and it will consider the judgement carefully.
Mr Natt says the Government will review the reasons for the Supreme Court's decision and examine all legal avenues before commenting on the decision.

topend3
30th Apr 2007, 11:14
i thought airnorth were getting their e-jet to service this contract

ITCZ
30th Apr 2007, 12:12
Scarenorth management doing a thorough job of examining the strengths/weaknesses/opportunities/threats of expanding into e-jets?

That would be a first. :hmm:

For the sake of the guys that stuck around and knocked back other jobs on the strength of getting at least two e-jets, I hope scarenorth weren't banking solely on the MRM expansion :ouch:

illusion
30th Apr 2007, 14:07
Nope,
They will be doing KU-PH for Qantas.

tio540
1st May 2007, 12:44
Show me the money!

Capn Bloggs
1st May 2007, 13:15
They will be doing KU-PH for Qantas.
I'll be MIFFED if they start that nonsense! :E

RENURPP
1st May 2007, 14:17
Here we go again. Another bunch of dreamers having no idea what they are getting them selves into.

ONE jet flying one route. GOOD BLOODY LUCK GUYS

cunninglinguist
1st May 2007, 23:02
A bit harsh Renurpp.................

I'm sure they'll make as much money doing KU-PH twice a week with a 30 million jet as Skywest will when their 320s arrive :bored:

tinpis
2nd May 2007, 20:46
All fixed:ok:

Someone explained they want to dig holes in the top bit not underground :hmm:

topend3
2nd May 2007, 23:44
Here we go again. Another bunch of dreamers having no idea what they are getting them selves into.

ONE jet flying one route. GOOD BLOODY LUCK GUYS

i dont think they will be using it on just the one route RENURRP!

topend3
14th Jun 2007, 13:49
I'll be MIFFED if they start that nonsense!

i think this is on the money bloggsy...seems the saturday KNX-PER service was a winner and with KNX not 717 capable QF have turned to TL to run the service on their behalf!