PDA

View Full Version : RVR

JUSTWANTTOFLY
25th Mar 2007, 22:47
Can someone direct me to the defining paragraph in JAR OPS or elswhere? that states that the controlling RVR for Cat 1 may be the touchdown and mid and end may be 150 meters ? If the whole runway is not required for landing.:\

eyeinthesky
26th Mar 2007, 17:50
See my reply to your similar post on the ATC Issues forum.

Winston
21st Apr 2007, 15:49
Rainboe, I believe you are incorrect. If reported and relevant you must respect midpoint and stopend limits.

JAR-OPS 1.405 Commencement and continuation of approach

(a) The commander or the pilot to whom conduct of the flight has been delegated may commence an instrument approach regardless of the reported RVR/Visibility but the approach shall not be continued beyond the outer marker, or equivalent position, if the reported RVR/visibility is less than the applicable minima. (See IEM OPS 1.405(a).)

(f) The touch-down zone RVR is always controlling. If reported and relevant, the mid point and stop end RVR are also controlling. The
minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 125 m or the RVR required for the touch-down zone if less, and 75 m for the stop-end. For aeroplanes equipped
with a roll-out guidance or control system, the minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 75 m.

Note. “Relevant”, in this context, means that part of the runway used during the high speed phase of the landing down to a speed of approximately 60 knots.

Silvershadow
22nd Apr 2007, 22:14
I agree with Winston. JAR OPS 1.405 applies to all approaches, not just Cat III. If you are given mid point and stop end RVR's you now have to take them into account.

BOAC
23rd Apr 2007, 13:12
1) I guess if the vis is that bad, the airfield will be operating 'low vis' in which case mid and stop-end RVRs (if available) will be given?

2) The only 'controllling' mid-point RVR I am aware of (CatI) is 75m or less, and same for stop-end, but ONLY if the latter is specified in the:) Company Ops manual - which it ain't

Fellow Aviator
24th Apr 2007, 23:02
Below is a part of our OM-A for Cat I approaches:

If more than one RVR value is given for the same runway, the RVR at the threshold determines the minima for landing. The additional values shall be used as a guidance.

For me JAR OPS can state whatever, our OM-A is quite clear on this :E