PDA

View Full Version : Even bigger fines for SAS?

Laminar
19th Aug 2001, 03:37
The fines given to SAS for the recently discovered illegal cartel between Maersk and SAS are going to be dwarfed by the new fines expected for the similarly illegal SAS and Skyways "cooperation" rumours say. The next illegal competition actions that would have been examined by kkv was the methods used by SAS to get rid of competitor Transwede/Braathens from the swedish market. It seems however that SAS is getting away from the probable claims from Braathens by buying the whole company.

Payscale
19th Aug 2001, 15:08
What the big deal. Cartels are common in all trades of life. Looks like the EEC are working out from some pinkish ideal of how the world should be....so the break SAS' neck. So what! Next day another company will fill the void, and they in turn will be charged for something else....crazy world.

I't like Tour de France...may the best doctor win..

Hung start
19th Aug 2001, 22:30
The fines given to SAS for the recently discovered illegal cartel between Maersk and SAS are going to be dwarfed by the new fines expected for the similarly illegal SAS and Skyways "cooperation" rumours say

Have they already decided that the SAS/Skyways deal is illegal, or is that just wishful thinking on your part Laminar? To my knowledge, the "konkurrence tilsyn" in Sweden has recently said that it´ll be a while before they finish investigating that deal.

Another thing....why would those fines "dwarf" the fines handed out in the Maersk/SAS case?? Is the Skyways case that much bigger?? In dwarfing a 300 mill. kr. fine, then I expect that we are talking BILlions????? :confused:

And who is behind that rumour. Someone credible? Or a small competitor that smells blood?

Nick Figaretto
20th Aug 2001, 12:19
And just for info, Laminar: SAS is not buying Transwede/Braathens or Braathens/Malmø Aviation. (I believe there have been a fusion, and the two are now Braathens/Malmø Aviation)

SAS will buy Braathens under the condition that Braathens sell their stocks in the Swedish company. -Which may be hard to get rid of. Braathens have tried to sell Malmø Aviation before, and haven't succeded. If Braathens do not get rid of M.A., the Braathen family's holding companies have agreed to buy M.A. from SAS for NOK 1,-

Thus, If they don't get rid of M.A. to a reasonable price, the Braathen family might not have a single penny left from their share (430 million NOK) of the 1,1 billion NOK that SAS has offered, when the deal is closed.

See: Braathenbrødre kan miste hele salgsgevinsten (http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/okonomi/d212006.htm) from Aftenposten, May 24. 2001. Lots of other info there, too.

Nick.

Flathatter
20th Aug 2001, 15:08
The Braathens deal just got nixed. SAS say they´ll appeal.

Seems to me that Skyways has taken a lot more SAS jobs, excuse me, business from mainline than Maersk. A deal which appears to have been blown way out of proportion, me thinks. All this should be good news for SAS jocks, maybe they´ll get to keep flying their own routes again in the future.

Hung start
20th Aug 2001, 16:16
1) GREAT news!!!!!!!!!

2) Agree with it all!

Stein Meum
21st Aug 2001, 13:57
I have a hard time believing SAS will be fined for the Skyways connection as this is just another "big company/small company" deal that we see all over the place.
Skyways operate SAS flights on routes where SAS/SAS Commuter doesn't have small enough planes to operate economically.The STO-DUB route would not exist,for instance,if it hadn't been flown by Skyways "jungle jet" on SAS behalf.The SAS/Skyways link is completely different from the SAS/Maersk arrangement.It is legal and not counter-competitive. :)

Flathatter
22nd Aug 2001, 10:54
SAS/SAS Commuter doesn't have small enough planes to operate economically
And with Skyways, Air Botnia, etc. around they won´t get them, either.