PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Avionic Cooling

screwdriver
9th Mar 2007, 22:39
Can anybody give some insight into this complicated system. Presumably its all down to avoiding condensation in the avionics area. B:uhoh: ut why are the "trigger"temperatures what they are?

Nelli
10th Mar 2007, 17:06
It would help if you told which model you want info for, and even then, there are options, so all cooling systems aren't necessarily the same.

gearpins
11th Mar 2007, 03:21
are you refering to the trigger temp that decides open or closed configuration?

screwdriver
12th Mar 2007, 08:09
Good point. A319/20/21

Nelli
12th Mar 2007, 15:03
I'll do my best to explain.
As you know, the avionics compartment has a number of computers, and computers, when up and running, generate heat. The heat has to stay at a certain level to ensure the safe operation of the computers. Not unlike your average PC at home.
In 320 series the cooling is handled by a fan (there can be other configurations, I'm not sure). When the fuselage is cold enough the hot air from the computers is circulated in a "tube" along the fuselage. And as the fuselage is cold, it cools the air. When the fuselage warms, the cooling isn't effective enough, so the AEVC (the computer that controls the system) opens up an inlet and outlet valve on the sides of the fuselage and blows the air right through.
Don't have system schematic on hand, but I can try and look for one tomorrow. I only have a picture of 340 but that's different from 320.

screwdriver
13th Mar 2007, 11:30
Many thanks. Ive got a schematic from the MM.

Swedish Steve
13th Mar 2007, 19:50
These two valves only open on the ground! They are open at temps above about P2degC or so, depends on the wind.
Here in ARN we never see them open in the winter. It is a sign of spring when you hear the whoosh as they open.

PantLoad
14th Mar 2007, 00:18
Gentlemen,

I respectfully refer you to Airbus FCOM 1.21.30. It will answer all your questions regarding this topic, I'm sure.

PantLoad

screwdriver
14th Mar 2007, 09:15
Many thanks for the feedback. I've got it sorted now. With regards to the FCOM reference- I've never known anything in this document shed light on anything technical. The diagram for the ventilation system is confusing at best.:ugh: