PDA

View Full Version : Zero

RYR-738-JOCKEY
13th Feb 2007, 08:07
Could someone please explain to me the reason behind this new pronounciation of the number ZERO. I noticed it a couple of months ago over London. I thought the fella had hurt his tongue....
"ZEERDO". That's how it sounded. And a couple of days ago, I heard it in Dublin as well. What's the reason for this. If it's a new ICAO-english-thing, then it's stupid. It will make it even more difficult for non-english both to pronounce and understand.

oceans 11
13th Feb 2007, 08:35
I think they were two people with pronounciation problems as you said or your radio needs looked at. I work in London and have never heard this and its definately not a new icao standard

Del Prado
13th Feb 2007, 09:31
Didn't have a cold did they?

MancBoy
13th Feb 2007, 09:36
Rich coming from a Ryanair pilot.

Some of your crews have the worst english I have ever heard which makes it a nightmare in very busy airspace!

cieloitaliano
13th Feb 2007, 10:04
And, while we're having a therapeutic rant, what about that waypoint west of Strumble VOR. Bakur, once pronounced BAKE-ur is now being rendered BACK-ur. :rolleyes:

Jerricho
13th Feb 2007, 10:42
A group of therapists somewhere are wringing their hands at the moment thinking "Why don't they call me?"

RYR-738-JOCKEY
13th Feb 2007, 13:46
Oh, I'm truly sorry MancBoy for not immediately offering an official apology on behalf of all non-native Ryanair employees, making your life such a misery. :ugh:
Anyways, I know what I heard...both of them were using effort not to pronounce it the normal way. Thanx for your help guys.

Scuzi
13th Feb 2007, 14:12
I've found myself slipping out the occasional 'Zedo' now and again, especially when busy and talking quickly. I think it stems from saying it so often, it eventually becomes corrupt in some people. A few people I work alongside seem to find it impossible to say 'Zero'.

It does sound stupid.:yuk:

RYR-738-JOCKEY
13th Feb 2007, 15:25
He, he...but come to think of it, that actually sounds very plausible for my case.

MancBoy
13th Feb 2007, 15:31
You guys don't make my life a misery, I just work around it and try and talk to you v e r y.................................................s l o w l y.

Loki
13th Feb 2007, 15:55
MancBoy

Leave it.........!

"dad"

Gonzo
13th Feb 2007, 16:40
I often emphasise the word zero so that it comes out as ZERR-RHO, with a tongue flick half way through.

Which, if one says quickly might sound like 'zeddo'.:confused:

duece19
13th Feb 2007, 19:05
Mancboy!!

Did you not know that RYR hire the worst englishspeakers around just to make your life misery!

Pretty poor show from an aviation proffessional me thinks.

But the agian, if u ask a question, then one must be shot down asap!
:yuk:

Loki
13th Feb 2007, 19:11
Not as bad as they used to be back in the 1980s with their Romanian Ba11s....their English was sometimes a bit tricky (but better than my Romanian)

MancBoy
13th Feb 2007, 19:24
sorry dad!

straight to bed with no dinner?

hope you are well

54north15west
13th Feb 2007, 20:29
RE Waypoint Bakur.Its pronounced Bake-ur.:ok:

RYR-738-JOCKEY
14th Feb 2007, 19:29
MancBoy: Once again I feel sorry for you. Not because you have to speak slowly to Ryr pilots, but because you clearly underestimate these guys simply because they don't speak perfect english. May I enlighten you....these guys are most likely as intelligent as you, if not even more. They do not only have one language skill, but two and very often several. The first thing I take notice of when I meet an Englishman is the way he/she talks to me...The stupid ones keep talking to me as if I was a retard, however the smart ones treat me as any other english speaking person.
Try to speak my language, and you'll probably sound like a mong. Do you get my drift?
The only difference here is that in aviation we all speak ICAO english, and sometimes one can hear something completely new and you ask "Say again..", often because of accent/local procedures. You should try working in another country for a while and you'll probably find your own standard is not perfect either, even though english is apparently your mother-tongue.

Riverboat
14th Feb 2007, 20:46
Well done, RYR-738. Spot on! Those that criticise are saying more about themselves than those they criticise.

MancBoy
14th Feb 2007, 21:30
738, touchy.
Why would I want to work in another country when I am perfectly happy here?
I merely stated that some of RYR pilots english is pretty bad. I would expect it from a non UK based airline but as RYR pretty much is then I would expect the guys to be 'on the ball' when flying through VERY busy airspace. Not act as if they have all the time in the world when I could be fitting in another couple of transmissions!
Plus, I didn't actually mean it when I said I spoke very slowly to ryanair pilots. I was winding you up which I think i achieved pretty easily!

Also, I don't underestimate you guys either. I know how hard you work and the strict turnaround times you try to stick to.

cieloitaliano
15th Feb 2007, 12:00
Ex DUB Via PESIT maybe 54N 15W but coming t'other road it's definitely BACK-ur. Probably pronounced this way to accomodate our continental cousins je pense. Apropos MancBoy unless you live in Wilmslow or it's environs you probably sound like Noel Gallagher :}

54north15west
15th Feb 2007, 15:00
:mad: :mad: :mad: Fraid not cieloitaliano!Its bake-ur.I use it everyday with foreigners paddies and brits alike and its bake-ur

anotherthing
15th Feb 2007, 15:39
MancBoy

To be fair to RYR, over the past couple of years, I believe the disparity in standard of R/T between the likes of RYR and BA has decreased.... I think RYR have improved slightly and that BA have got worse... It's not just BA either, but as you mentioned the 'home grown' airlines as an analogy, I thought I would use them.

When I say R/T I mean pronunciation as well as telling me the required info without me having to quiz pilots for what they should be telling me!

Getting sick of the amount of calls from numerous airlines in the LTMA stating only "ABC123 airborne" or less on departure!! And I'm not fecking Heathrow or Gatwick either Mr Pilot (I work for a living :E ) - it's London Control.. listen to the tower when they transfer you!!

EastCoaster
15th Feb 2007, 15:52
RYR-738-Jockey, have you ever heard somebody possessed of a strong Dublin accent speaking? Believe me, the pronunciation of "zero" would be exactly as you've described.
Nothing to do with ICAO dictats!

Gonzo
15th Feb 2007, 16:09
And I'm not fecking Heathrow or Gatwick either Mr Pilot (I work for a living :E )

You'll have to do better than that, anotherthing!:p

anotherthing
15th Feb 2007, 16:19
Gonzo,

I just know you guys at Heathrow and the guys at KK say "contact Heathrow/Gatwick" to departures, just to make you sound bigger :} !!

Won't work though, Mr Barron will still want to chop all of our benefits :(

Gonzo
15th Feb 2007, 16:35
As an LCE, I will be taking the matter up with all my guys if I hear them say that, except for CPTs on easterlies of course.

Anyway, what's all this nonsense? We don't have a need to feel more important than we already are! :}

anotherthing
15th Feb 2007, 16:56
In these Barron-esque times, we all need to 'big ourselves up' as todays yoof would say.

Think it's the pilots ears that need cleaning out, not the towers chaps and chappesses mouths... also a lack of understanding by pilots (and to be fair, it's understandable) about divisions of responsibility within the TMA.

They don't care if its Heathrow/Gatwick/London/ or wherever... it's just annoying having to correct them (to comply with correct R/T procedures... not anal retentitveness!!)

MancBoy
15th Feb 2007, 17:21
Another, i totally agree.

You want to be called manchester, now that is an insult!

Just because I have a manc accent doesn't mean I work there!

anotherthing
15th Feb 2007, 17:36
Mancboy

But cieloitalianos Noel Gallagher comment was quite humorous!

MancBoy
15th Feb 2007, 17:37
Actually, I sound more like Frank Gallagher of Shameless!

high-hopes
15th Feb 2007, 19:03
How about Frank Sidebottom ????

MancBoy
15th Feb 2007, 23:04
no way, from what i remember he was an annoying t@@t with a stupid false head

anotherthing
16th Feb 2007, 08:36
Shame your not Kirsty Gallagher

Giles Wembley-Hogg
16th Feb 2007, 08:39
anotherthing

The people who call you "Heathrow/Gatwick" have probably been told by the TWR controller, especially one of 2 or 3 at LL, to (incorrectly) "contact departures".

In the same vein, some of the people who check in with Air Deps at LL instead of just monitoring the frequency have probably been told "tower now 118.5". The same applies to FIN at LL as well. Not everyone is told "callsign only" and it isn't specified in the plates we carry on the flightdeck. (Interestingly, "callsign only" is specified for one of the scandinavian airports on the plates, but it is in such small writing and the controllers don't tell you to do it, so I often only realise after I've made the mistake and checked in with the full spiel).

... it is not just amongst the pilot community that r/t standards are slipping!

G W-H