PDA

View Full Version : C152 on a Permit?

pumper_bob
10th Feb 2007, 10:52
Is it possible to run a C152 on a permit and then fit a Rotax 914 turbo as an experiment? Not sure on the rules for this, but i am sure some of you out there will know, Rod1? I would have thought that at 75kg installed and 100hp on tap with a turbo this would improve the performance of the 152?
Any thoughts/suggestions?

stiknruda
10th Feb 2007, 14:59
I would guess that the original engine weighs almost twice 75kgs - so your new CoG will be far out of the back of the envelope. :ugh:

I can't see PFA Engineering going for that at all.:E

pumper_bob
10th Feb 2007, 15:47
It wouldnt be a hard job to ballast the c of g in and you are then all set to go on mogas and with a bit of ingenuity you could use some items for ballast that would otherwise detract from the all up weight! The result would be a tried and tested airframe coupled with a modern engine with a better payload and longer range due to the frugal performance of the Rotax!

shortstripper
10th Feb 2007, 17:02
It could be done, but you'd probably have to do it through the CAA permit system.

SS

Mark 1
10th Feb 2007, 19:41
No chance of a permit. The CAA won't allow it for factory builts these days.

An engine change is, in theory, allowable as a major mod, but it would have to be signed off by a CAA airworthiness inspector.

Probably a bit too major to be a viable proposition.

Why not buy/build a modern, Rotax powered, aircraft, or wait for the new Cessna LSA? It'd be a lot easier.

J.A.F.O.
10th Feb 2007, 19:48
Bob

You'd either need so much ballast that you were over MAUW or to mount the engine on a bracket twice the length of the aircraft.

Yep, sounds easy.

Mike Cross
10th Feb 2007, 21:16
Art 11 of the ANO
11 (1) The CAA shall:
(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b) issue in respect of any non-EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom a national permit to fly if it is satisfied that the aircraft is fit to fly having regard to the airworthiness of the aircraft and the conditions to be attached to the permit;
(b) refuse to issue a national permit to fly in respect of a non-EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom if it appears to the CAA that the aircraft is eligible for and ought to fly under and in accordance with a national certificate of airworthiness.
C152 is eligible for a C of A so it's really dead simple. Go to Cessna, get an STC for the mod and then get the CAA to accept it.;) After all there's an STC accepted by the CAA for this.
http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-DRAG&imgname=G-DRAG002&imgtype=jpg

C152_driver
10th Feb 2007, 21:51
http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodu...02&imgtype=jpg (http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-DRAG&imgname=G-DRAG002&imgtype=jpg)

Pretty! I was reading about taildragger 152 conversions recently. They look so much better than the standard aircraft in my humble opinion.

Having said that, given my current lowly student status, I'm bloody glad of a nosewheel at the moment :) .

100LL
10th Feb 2007, 22:38
Its been done in Germany for the 150,

Rotax engine for Cessna 150

The Rotax engine conversion for the Cessna 150 has been certified by the German aviation authorities LBA since October of last year. This could be accomplished mainly to the long-time effort of Dr. Guido Sperl, head of an engineering office which is specialized in structural, dynamics and fluid mechanics development work. The 56000-Marks modification is exclusively done by Fläming Air located at the airfield Oehna/Zellendorf (phone: +49-33742/60330). A modification kit for the 100-hp Rotax 912S3 is in development also, the certification is expected for the end of this year.

Above from aerokourier magazine.

JUST-local
11th Feb 2007, 00:12
Have a look in the last few copies of GA Buyer/aeromart there was a 150 already done for sale, think it was EU reg.

Quite like the 0-235 myself!