PDA

View Full Version : Standard Instrument Departures

Mooncrest
8th Feb 2007, 20:43
Can anyone tell me who or what devises SIDS in the UK ? LBA is a relatively new user of SIDS (1995 I think it was) and I guessed it might have been the local ATC unit who dreamed them up or at least had a hand in their creation. Would this be correct or is it a CAA department ?

Thankyou.

MC

BDiONU
8th Feb 2007, 20:45
NATS are doing the redesign of the whole of the LTMA.

BD

None of the above
11th Feb 2007, 09:57
BDiONU............

"NATS are doing the redesign of the whole of the LTMA".

Is this part-and-parcel of the plan outlined in today's Sunday Times to restructure the CAS system, and which is under discussion here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263759 ?

Ta,

N o t a

BDiONU
11th Feb 2007, 10:13
BDiONU............
Is this part-and-parcel of the plan outlined in today's Sunday Times to restructure the CAS system, and which is under discussion here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263759 ?
N o t a thanks for the link, wasn't aware of that discussion but I agree with posters comments that NATS is driven in that instance by the government. Another driver is demand, given that NATS gets penalties for delay its in the companies interest to stay ahead of demand as best as possible. Hence re-sectorisations and the drive to replace the 4 disparate en route centres systems down to 3 (ScOACC + MACC, LTCC & LACC) and then eventually onto 1 for both centres (Scottish & London).
In the case of the LTMA re-design additional drivers are mixed mode at Heathrow and the additional runway planned at Stansted and probably Heathrow.
One thing I should point out thats totally false in the linked article is:
Steve Charlish, a commercial pilot who has led a campaign against increasing air traffic over the East Midlands, said: “If Nats were proposing a new motorway or bypass you could object but one thing you cannot do is touch the airspace above because that is owned by the crown - you’ve got no right of objection.”
Everyone may object, it is your right. Does anyone in this forum recall the QC in East anglia who objected to 'visual pollution' due to the re-structure of South east sectors? Or the delay in opening the Bristol/Cardiff airspace recently due to environmental concerns? My department has just employed 2 new staff whose job is environmental (airspace matters not recycling paper ;) ).

Glad my boss made the strong point that some airspace changes are being done for safety reasons as well :D

BD

chevvron
11th Feb 2007, 10:26
SIDs are normally designed by DAP (The CAA Directorate of Airspace Policy), but I believe NATS may be an 'approved organisation' now for design (for a fee of course)

None of the above
11th Feb 2007, 10:40
Thanks for that BDiONU.

There's a paragraph or two in the Sunday Times article that deserve(s) exposure to a wider audience:

'Smith was looking for a peaceful corner of England in which to bring up his children and moved to the hamlet of Cornard Tye in 1999.
“One of the best things about this area was that you could sit in the garden and hear birds singing,” he said.
“Then one day I was sitting in my office at home when I heard a plane going over, then another and then another.
When I rang the Civil Aviation Authority and asked what had happened they told me the air corridors had been changed.
“We now get easyJets and Ryanairs one after another. Some fly so low we can see the wheels and the people inside",'

A quick look at a chart shows that his home is approximately 25 miles from Stansted.

How do newspapers get away with continually printing this tripe?

anotherthing
11th Feb 2007, 10:50
BDiNOU

I am posting on the other forum, however in yet another great piece of journalistic misdirection, it has been pointed out by Chilli monster that the 'commercial pilot' Steve Charlish, is in fact a balloon pilot!!

So effectively a member of the public being touted as an informed source :ugh:

The gutter press and the so called broad sheets seem to get closer and closer in integrity these days

BDiONU
11th Feb 2007, 11:12
BDiNOU
Its BDiONU, say it out loud and it'll all make sense ;)

Beady Eye

anotherthing
11th Feb 2007, 11:29
Eyed worked out what your moniker meant a while ago - typos are my forte though :}