View Full Version : QANTAS UK - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 08:53
This thread for discussions relating to QANTAS UK

qantaswannabie!
9th Jan 2007, 09:51
:ok: Thank you wan2fly!

more info than I could have asked for! Guess the order of the day is to be myself...with all my fingers, toes etc crossed!

Thanks Again!

belinda6220
11th Jan 2007, 12:05
Hi there,
As nothing much has been written on the UK base for a while I thought I might open a new thread for my questions. Firstly, of the relocation payment given upon commencement how much of it do you actually get to keep, it is my understanding that relocation monies are not taxed in th UK, is this the case? 2) Average wage for cabin crew fortnightly, and is it liveable? 3) Would any kind soul out there be willing to email me thier roster? Just to get an idea of time away/home? Opportunities for promotion: regular/forget it.
Any Info appreciated, message me if you like.
Cheers.

GalleyChick
11th Jan 2007, 19:45
Hi there,
As nothing much has been written on the UK base for a while I thought I might open a new thread for my questions. Firstly, of the relocation payment given upon commencement how much of it do you actually get to keep, it is my understanding that relocation monies are not taxed in th UK, is this the case? 2) Average wage for cabin crew fortnightly, and is it liveable? 3) Would any kind soul out there be willing to email me thier roster? Just to get an idea of time away/home? Opportunities for promotion: regular/forget it.
Any Info appreciated, message me if you like.
Cheers.

I'm guessing you're trying to decide whether to transfer up to the UK base or not from Australia.

Our relocation allowance when we first moved here was taxed at a very high rate. out of the 10,000GBP the aussie crew got we got taxed about 3,500GBP of it. Yes it is high but we got it all back at the end of the financial year because we are not residents of the UK for tax purposes (tax year ends beginning of april).

We get paid in the UK monthly not fortnightly like in Australia, so you have to budget a bit more carefully. I usually get around the 1,100-1,200GBP mark per month in my bank depending on how many trips i get. On top of that you get your in-hand allowances in slip port that all crew get no matter if you're australian crew or UK crew. It is liveable if you don't go and splurge (although i permit myself quite a lot of travel and shopping - i have a mortgage back in Sydney i have to cover also.)

You can private message me here if you like. We get our new rosters tomorrow (although it'll be my last roster in the UK :( as my 2 years are up beginning of march). :{

lowerlobe
11th Jan 2007, 21:26
GalleyChick,

I'm wondering after reading your post.How do you manage to live in the UK not only to live and pay rent and living costs but to travel as well and pay off your mortgage in Australia on 1,100 and 1,200 pounds per month?

GalleyChick
12th Jan 2007, 10:26
GalleyChick,

I'm wondering after reading your post.How do you manage to live in the UK not only to live and pay rent and living costs but to travel as well and pay off your mortgage in Australia on 1,100 and 1,200 pounds per month?

That's a fair question, and I can tell you it's all about managing your resources and smart thinking. I live on the outskirts of London (Zone 5) 15 minute drive to the airport and on the tube line going straight into the city. I pay about half of what others pay in rent a month for living in Zone 2. But I also bought a car here so what I pay in car repayments and rent is what someone pays in rent only.

I had saved up a lot before leaving Sydney and left that there for the mortgage repayments to eat up.....it lasted about a year and a half though so I've been having to send bulk transfers of money over to cover mortgage (yes, my unit is rented out but it covers about half).

Over here I go out when I can. My intention was to see Europe while over here, and i've managed to see most of what I wanted. I have family in Spain so go there all the time. The flights anywhere in Europe can be found for as little as 16 pounds return (just bought a ticket to go to Barcelona with Ryanair for that amount). You can stay in budget accommodation anywhere. This is where you can spend hardly anything for your travels........gotta love the low budget airline industry here.

So, all in all i'm not complaining. We all knew that there was no chance of saving. It's all about being smart with your money and keeping an eye on it. I'm not living from paycheque to paycheque. I've also applied for 6-months LWOP back at home to live here for a while. The relocation money owed to us will be sent home, i'll sell my car in a couple of weeks and we'll be doing our tax returns in April - so it should all cover me for the 6-months off.

EXek11
17th Jan 2007, 12:41
Hi! How is everyone doing?

Anyone going to the wellcome aboard day on February the 6th?

Just for curiosity.

qantaswannabie!
17th Jan 2007, 13:21
Hi

Yes I am on the welcome aboard day on the 6th of Feb!

:eek:

babymax
18th Jan 2007, 13:42
im having a problem getting copies of my exam certificates,can any one tell me do you need them for interview and has any 1 else had this problem.

babymax
19th Jan 2007, 23:34
hi its me again ive been offered a assesment day on the 8th but cant make it due to current flying schedule,ive emailed them asking for the following day,are they quite flexible to this or do you think theyll say no.

EXek11
21st Jan 2007, 18:50
Can anyone answer me , how many id 90 tickets are Qantas crew entitled? and what family members ?

GalleyChick
21st Jan 2007, 19:50
Can anyone answer me , how many id 90 tickets are Qantas crew entitled? and what family members ?

There is no limit to purchase ID90 tickets for us crew and one person we nominate. You get a limit of 2 of those tickets per year to be used as "High Priority - Annual Leave" but that's the only limitation.

Entitlements are:

You on ID90 ("A" Group) with parents and siblings in ID50 ("B" Group)
or
You on ID90 ("A" Group) with spouse and kids in ID50 ("B" Group)
or
You and one person (anyone you want) in "A" Group and parents or spouse in "B" Group. The person you nominate to be with you in the "A" Group can't be changed for 6 months unless in exceptional circumstances (ie death).

Hope this is right, if someone wants to correct me please feel free.

EXek11
21st Jan 2007, 20:17
:ok:

Thank you very much for the information! Now I am going through previous threads to get tips for the Wellcome Aboard day. I can t wait!

I am sooooooo loooking forward to it!

Regards to everyone in the forum

AIRHOSTIE:)
24th Jan 2007, 09:56
Hello!
Ive just had my medical for Qantas and now im wondering what happens next?
If im successful how are you contacted and does anyone know of any new course start dates???

Also, one more question..... i know you get ID90 tickets with Qantas, but do you also get cheaper holidays through them? I know Qantas have holidays/hotels, as we stayed in them when we were in oz when we booked through the flight centre.

Thanks for any info
luv
Airhostie :)
ps, did anyone else go for a medical recently, would be nice to chat incase we get on the same course

ozskipper
24th Jan 2007, 22:04
There are some discounts via Qantas Holidays, but frankly your better off using some of the local ID agencies as Qantas Holidays mostly benefit those leaving ex-Aus.

If yr successful, let me know and I can give you details of local ID discount agencies.

Good luck with it all.

26th Jan 2007, 10:00
Hi!
I had my welcome on board day on the 29th Nov 06.
Has anyone who was also on or around this date heard anything?
I had my medical tues 23rd so waiting to hear.
Would be nice to know if others in the same boat
luv
Airhostie:)

changes2007
27th Jan 2007, 20:35
Hi! How is everyone doing?

Anyone going to the wellcome aboard day on February the 6th?

Just for curiosity.

I've filled in the Quantas application on line through aeroprofessional.com then spoke to someone at Quantas who asked me to fill in their own application on line. It's been a week and nothing? I know a little hasty but how long did you wait for the telephone interview etc. How did the system work for you??

vodkaholic
27th Jan 2007, 23:20
I applied through their online application absolutely AGES ago...and since then nothing. So i phoned them up before Christmas, the lady I spoke to said that they had 'lost' my application but she had just found it :\ and that they werent conducting anymore telephone interviews until after Christmas. It's now nearly Feb and still haven't heard anything, except a Merry Christmas email from them lol. Not too bothered if I havent been successful, but they should have the courtesy to tell me that.

ozskipper
28th Jan 2007, 15:51
Don't get me wrong, I'm not being funny, but we have over 5000+ applicants who all expect to get an answer immediately. It doesn't quite work that way - we try and respond as quickly as possible, including inviting successful candidates to Welcome Aboard Days, however like any position that's in demand - you might need to do a little chasing yourself especially if you haven't had a response yet.

We're not being discourteous, we're just busy :)

vodkaholic
28th Jan 2007, 16:20
OK that's fair enough, I do understand that qantas must get a hell of a lot of applications. However, I know of people who have had their telephone interview, welcome aboard day and been offered a job and they applied after me!! Like I said though, I'm not too bothered. Have taken it as a sign!

FLYING_HOSTIE
28th Jan 2007, 18:15
Hi Ive got to wait until the 10th May before my application will be looked at again, and Im pulling my hair out... is there any sneaky way I can get round this lol?

GalleyChick
29th Jan 2007, 02:30
Hi Ive got to wait until the 10th May before my application will be looked at again, and Im pulling my hair out... is there any sneaky way I can get round this lol?

I know it's frustrating for you to have to wait one year. I don't think there is a sneaky way around it.....I had a friend in australia who got the job after his 5th attempt, imagine having to wait 5 years, but persistance paid off in the end for him. I wouldn't know of a sneaky way, you'd have to use your name and curriculum and you'd be in the system as already having applied. If they were short on candidates they might be a bit lenient but I think they have lots of candidates. Could you ring and ask if they would consider bringing it forward? Good luck and hang in there, May isn't far away really.

sharman_uk
30th Jan 2007, 15:01
Are qantas still recruiting cabin crew?
If so does anyone know the cut off date?

wan2fly
30th Jan 2007, 21:15
Hi

There isnt one - we are ( Unfortunately ) loosing a lot of our Aussie friends as their contracts have ended so the recruitment is going full steam ahead.

Apply now it will take a while before they get back to you anyway...

Good luck.

renfrew
3rd Feb 2007, 14:31
Make sure she knows the spelling is QANTAS.

EXek11
4th Feb 2007, 09:53
Hi everyone!

I am on the Wellcome Aboard day on tuesday. I was asked to bring my qualifications and diplomas along with me , can anyone tell me if i should bring my previous airline diplomas as well as manager compliment letter?

;)

ozskipper
4th Feb 2007, 14:59
All you need is your qualifications. If you wish to bring extra documents, then that's entirely up to you, but all you need is the mandatory documents :)

ozskipper
4th Feb 2007, 15:17
To be honest, this thread should be locked / deleted also.

The interview process, is exactly that: an interview process.

Posting questions, tips, outlines of the day and so on, is extremely unfair to both those who may this thread and take the information as fact and for those that go into the process on their own merits without the assistance of this site.

Any information posted on here, is likely to be wrong or outdated (the questions can change from day to day) and frankly it's cheating. To be blunt it only serves to dilute the quality of the candidate pool!

If you want advice, then I would suggest going along, doing your best and keeping the process fair and equitable for all that apply.

HHB
16th Feb 2007, 11:38
Hi, is there any one out there who got through to the 2-1 interviews on the 7/8/or 9th Feb who have heard anything - even if it's a NO ????? - The anticipation is killing me, cant eat/sleep or concentrate, Thanks :confused:

schwing1
25th Feb 2007, 17:57
Has anyone got the qantas uk website. Im looking to apply for cabin crew jobs.

flitegirl
25th Feb 2007, 22:38
www.qantascabincrewuk.com

flytheplanemay
26th Feb 2007, 01:39
Ozskipper, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I and everyone else who uses this forum.

My opinion is this is a great forum for people who are in the industry and those wishing to be a part of it. I think that for wannabes, the fact that they are sitting on the internet trying to find as much information about the role and the interview process is great, and if it gives them a heads up on the interview process, so be it.

If things written on this forum bother you, it is probably best that you don't read it.

Goodluck to anyone who is applying to the airlines!

TightSlot
26th Feb 2007, 03:30
ozskipper is a valued contributor to this forum - sometimes he posts unpalatable truths: The fact that they make uncomfortable reading does not make them untrue.
The prime value of the recruitment discussions on this board is that they allow a sense of hand-holding comfort to those attending - in terms of the actual useful value of most of the feedback provided, it is almost completely pointless, and occasionally damaging. The idea that the information provided on the various recruitment threads could be used to outsmart an airline recruitment process is laughable.
The best advice remains - do your factual research about the company, and then be honest and truthful at the interview - anything else runs the risk of disappointment for both sides.

Dolley
8th Mar 2007, 12:38
Just a few questions about working for Qantas UK...:-)

Can anybody out there tell me something a bit more specific about the allowances you get in hand? How much? Is it enough? Do you take some home? Is it tax-free?
And as well, what do your rosters look like?
And how much leave do you get?
Is it a good company to work for?
What's promotion like?
Do they hire direct entry senior or equivalent?

I think that's all for the moment...;-)
Thanks in advance :-)

Sweetmissy
14th Mar 2007, 12:50
Sorry to be a pain, but i'm a little confused... i did my application online and everthing was fine and recieved..
I then recieved an email at 0930 Monday saying there was a hold on rercuitment, then at 1145 i recieved another saying, my application is being considered and i will hear in a few weeks..

Can you shed any light????

radiation junkie
15th Mar 2007, 01:35
Sweetmissy, QANTAS moves in mysterious ways ! All depends on how fast the Aussie crews depart and what previous applications they have on hold and are still active.

As mentioned in earlier posts by renfrew, QANTAS like applicants to spell the name of the airline correctly. Goes a long way.

Sweetmissy
15th Mar 2007, 08:48
:ugh: Qantas.... there you go, spelt it right... lol!! silly me:oh:

Thanks for your advice, really appreciated it!

Dolley
15th Mar 2007, 10:40
Still hoping that somebody can help me with the questions above?

If you Qantas folk don't want to say anything public please pm me with any useful information that goes beyond what's said on their website.

Hyena
15th Mar 2007, 16:13
Can anybody out there tell me something a bit more specific about the allowances you get in hand? How much? Is it enough? Do you take some home? Is it tax-free?
And as well, what do your rosters look like?
And how much leave do you get?
Is it a good company to work for?
What's promotion like?
Do they hire direct entry senior or equivalent?

Hi Dolly

Our MEAL allowances are paid Tax free, cash in hand in our slip ports. HKG approx £120, Sin £110, BKK £60....all are approximate and can vary with the exchange rate.
What you take home depends on how much you spend, where you eat, if you go out...do you like shopping.....

Our schedules are great and will try there best to accommodate any requests you have. We tend to be rostered a 4 days on 3 off pattern but this is not set in stone.

We are allocated 5 weeks paid leave which is set 12 months in advance. They do there best to accommodate the dates you request but again is not always the case. You may also submit special request like Mums 60th....etc etc

There is no seniority with QCCUK. I guess if you were a CSD from BA with 20 years experience they might place you in a similar role....but that would have to be something to check with our recruitment team......

Promotions should be available over the coming 12 months as more of our onboard Managers return to Australia after completing their 3rd year here.

Overall I wouldn’t have a bad word to say about working for QCCUK......

Good luck if you are thinking of applying
. :ok:

Dolley
15th Mar 2007, 17:54
Thanks for replying.

That helps a lot :-)

I'm not sure about applying just yet. I'm working shorthaul at the moment and I can't decide if I fancy longhaul or not...but if I ever do I think qantas will be on the top of my list.

superairhostess
3rd Apr 2007, 19:09
Hi guys can I ask you what kind of trips has Qantas?Are they 3 or 4 days long?Thinking of leaving BA Lgw...once for all :)

jessygirl
19th Apr 2007, 14:04
Hi all,
Does anyone have any information about Qantas Pay Rates Etc??

ozskipper
4th May 2007, 19:57
Hey Midnight

There's not a lot of movement on the recruitment front at the moment, but that's not to say we won't see some movement in the coming months.

Generally, all interviews are held up in the UK unless you are transferring from Qantas in Australia. I haven't heard of any recruitment programs being held in NZ for JetConnect.

Sorry about PM not being available - I have it turned off deliberately :)

7th May 2007, 16:00
hi!
has anyone heard if there are going to be course start dates soon??

I got offered the job in january and am still waiting! getting abit fed up now.......... :(

if anyone in the same position or anyone has heard anything can you pm me or post reply

many thanks
x x x x x x x x

Hyena
7th May 2007, 16:51
Hi Airhostie.

I understand that there are no classes going through till June.....

Hang in there....it aint that far away.

Have you not been able to speak to anyone from recruitment as they should have some idea of what is going to happen with you.

Hyena
8th May 2007, 16:34
Hi Midnight.

I will look into it for you. I cant remember the number they gave me when I applied. Have you tried to contact our BOS desk at the base. I am sure they will be able to direct you accordingly.
I dont have the number to hand but its on the crew website. I think if you look under base information......

ozskipper
9th May 2007, 15:06
Hey Midnight

Sorry for taking so long to reply - been away flying :)

I don't have a current number for the recruitment agency that coordinates the recruitment in the UK.

I agree with Hyena - try giving the BOS desk a call and if they're not able to assist perhaps speak with one of the ground managers (they are very helpful!).

If all else fails, let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you.

bing bong
10th May 2007, 00:53
Hi team
A question for those of you who may be commuting out of London with QFUK.

What are the various cities people are commuting from?
Does anyone have some first hand feedback that may be of use to those
who may be considering a commute.
Safe flying.
Warm regards to all.

ozskipper
10th May 2007, 08:25
There are loads of commuters :)

It varies from provincial England (Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham and so on) to Scotland and Wales.

You also have commuters from Paris, Eastern Europe, Spain and the Mediterranean.

Some of key factors to consider if you're going to commute is being able to meet your standby obligations (90 mins to the base or aircraft from call out) and how your going to get to work if the local airlines have embargoes or go on strike.

It's very possible to commute but you just need to be prepared to spend the money when it goes pear shaped and staff travel isn't available.

bing bong
10th May 2007, 08:48
Thanks Ozkipper!
any and all info is much appreciated.

tashal_bb
13th May 2007, 06:56
Can someone kind out there in QFUK pm me a sample roster for me to have an idea what is the flying like in UK base. And answer few of my Qs...;)

1.with language speaker is there any prioity by getting the language trip?
2.any language allowance?
3.how long is the overnight in a slip port? eg. HKG?
4.Which area/tube station should I looking for to live in? any recommend website to look for?

Thankyou very much :p

Hyena
13th May 2007, 13:32
Hi Tashal_bb.

I have posted a reply to a similar question regarding our roster pattern.

As for language speakers you are not rostered any different to a non language speaker. I do not believe there is a language allowance as in the UK there is no shortage of them. :)

As for living in the UK you are not really restricted by the Tube. You can really live anywhere in Europe. You just need to keep in mind standby days where you need to be 90 min from the airport.

www.tfl.gov.uk (http://www.tfl.gov.uk) has all the tube/rail maps that show you how long it takes to commute to Heathrow from anywhere on the network.:)

Are you currently crew or thinking about trying to apply in the UK with Qantas?

tashal_bb
13th May 2007, 15:01
Hi Hyena,
Im an aussie QF crew whos thinking to take a 2 yrs contract in QFCCUK :p

As you said [Our schedules are great and will try there best to accommodate any requests you have. We tend to be rostered a 4 days on 3 off pattern but this is not set in stone.] what u means by 3 off pattern? u mean 3 nights slip or 3 day pattern? :confused:

Well... about the language thing... a fd of mine who is a CSS in QFCCUK said that there are a shortage of cantonese speaker... thats why im asking :(

I was just wondering which suburb in London that you guys recommend to live in, if i dont wanna commute anywhere in Europe.

ThankX again ;)

abdomen
14th May 2007, 22:44
Hi!!

I´m trying to fill the aplication form at qantas recruitment website and i´m finfing some problems:

1) In the "personal details" page, I introduce all my details but aparently I´m introducing my phone number in a wrong format, and don´t know why!!! I´ve tried different ways, 0 first, without a 0... but nothing!! it says: "Invalid phone format. Supply area code + number"

Could anyone help me with this!!?? by the way I´m trying to introduce a mobile number.

THANK YOU

tashal_bb
15th May 2007, 02:17
try to put 2 or more digits in the area code box

Hyena
15th May 2007, 13:49
Hey Tashal.

We are rostered a 4 day pattern....eg HK dep LHR 12.30 Mon and return 1.30pm Thu. You are then given 3 full days clear of duty before your next 4 day pattern. Eg Sin dep LHR 10.30pm Mon and return Thurs 6am.....then 3 days clear of duty. And so on.........So if you get rostered a Singapore then another Singapore you nearly have 5 days off between patterns as you arrive so early on your last day of duty and dont report till late on your first day back......

Does that make sense????

We are also allowed to swap shifts so you have some control over your roster......but that is a whole other story......:}

A lot of crew who live in London tend to to live in the west as its more accessable to Heathrow. But as we only have to travel to work essentially once a week you can really live anywhere.....just depends on the kind of commute you are prepared to do.
Some of the places crew live are Ealing, Maida Vale, Kensington, Chiswick, Shephards Bush, Richmond to name a few. All are really lovely places to live.....well parts of Ealing are a bit @hit.
For financial reasons I choose not to live in these areas as you do pay higher rent which I prefer to spend on travel and living.......but thats purely my opinion. I am still in Zone 2 so travel to central London is good but my commute to LHR is about 1.5hrs. Others who, maybe like yourself, are only coming here for a fairly short time for the whole experience may want to spend the extra and live closer to central london/west London......but you will pay for it $$$$

You should definately take up the opportunity while its still available. I would assume that once everything settles down here they will stop allowing Aus crew to transfer up. I guess they are only allowing it as the base is still very young and the experience which Aus has with its crew is all thats lacking here in the UK.
And the best part is you can live and travel europe and still keep your job back home.

Just be prepared, the pay is not as good as what you earn back home.....maybe thats why we have quite a high turnover of crew?????? I dont know if Qantas realise how expensive it is to live, work and travel through London. But its a great base and the people are awesome....the ones that stay...he he

CanuckUAEbound
15th May 2007, 18:31
Hi guys!

I applied last month online for Cabin Crew with Qantas UK. I live in Vancouver, Canada- but I do have the right to work in the UK because through my grandparents I have my swiss citizenship/passport. I worked for an airline here in Canada as well a with Emirates. I speak French and English. UMMM and I've been to Oz many many times! (: Do you think Qantas UK will even look at my resume if I still live in Canada?? Should I call them? If so, so you have the HR number? Thanks! :)

tashal_bb
16th May 2007, 00:50
Thanks alot Hyena for all your info. and time. It all make sense now... so we have 2 nights layover in Asia... thats not long enough for recovering := (after a BIG hang over):E heheee...
I will b there d end of this year. Hopefully will fly w/ u soon. ;)

air2bob
16th May 2007, 01:09
qantas london base is over crewed and will not be recruiting for a while yet.
they have many people including myself who have been for interview and have had a job offer but are awating course date i spoke with a lady in HR and was told this.this is reason why i'm still waiting to start!.
just thought i'd post as saw lots people saying that have applied recently so you'll be on file a while before interviews! dont give up hope though just sounds like qantas will be like air new zealand at lhr dont interview very often and keep you on file until they do!

CanuckUAEbound
16th May 2007, 01:40
Thank-you AirBob!!

So they do keep applications on file for a while, thats good news! I would really like to have the opportunity to make use of my passport and work for an airline in Europe! Especially Qantas! One of the best!

tashal_bb
16th May 2007, 13:07
One of the best :bored: ~~~~... too early to say this love~~:E
but its good to give it a go...

abdomen
17th May 2007, 01:05
Hi!!

I´m trying to fill the aplication form at qantas recruitment website and i´m finfing some problems:

1) In the "personal details" page, I introduce all my details but aparently I´m introducing my phone number in a wrong format, and don´t know why!!! I´ve tried different ways, 0 first, without a 0... but nothing!! it says: "Invalid phone format. Supply area code + number"

Could anyone help me with this!!?? by the way I´m trying to introduce a mobile number.

THANK YOU

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I´ve tried what u said!! but still saying "invalid phone format. Supply area code + number"

COULD ANYONE HELP ME THIS? PLEASE

tiggerific_69
17th May 2007, 01:22
+441234 567 890
00441234 567 890
01234 567 890
only suggestions i can think of
from looking at my own application,it already has +44 before the box where you put your number in so you would just put 1234 as your area code in the first box then 567890 in the second box for the rest of your phone number.no zero at the front.

mobile number you would just put the first THREE numbers after the 0 in the first box,then the rest of your mobile number in the second box
so for example
if your number is 07970 123456
in the first box you put 797
then in the second box you put 0123456

tashal_bb
17th May 2007, 01:39
I just try that application website.
Eg ur Mobile +447912345678. No 0 or +44 need to enter.
I just type 79 in one box and 12345678 in the other box.
And then it saved and sumited...

If you still find its diffcult then try to clear all your application and re-apply~~

Hope this will help.

air doris
18th May 2007, 10:57
Hi all at LHR,

Glad to say there should be a new bunch of us coming over at the end of this year. Due to the demise of Australian Airlines we have been offered amongst other bases within QF, LHR. We can hardly believe it. Initially there will be around 36 aussies and more at the end of the year as the current ones wind up their contract. We have been offered a 2 year contract and I know many people who are applying for it. What I want to know is.....

Is this an opportunity too good to pass up? (sound's silly but REALLY?)

Is there flexibility with rosters? Like can I swap to get a weekend away in Europe?

Can I live on the salary offered?

I have no problems with the flying. I understand most is "back of the clock" but thats ok with me.

How is your crew relationship in LHR? Being a small base I would assume everyone know's everyone and it's all good when you are at work?

Do you cross-crew with QF AUS much?

Thanks....xxx

LucyLou
19th May 2007, 01:31
Air Doris!
Good questions.. i was just about to pipe up! Isnt it fantastic news, just when you think all hope is gone your given a grea opportunity! I too am very interested in the UK base and would really love to speak to someone there, possibly even one of the Aus crew over there. All i can say is that everytime Ive flown over with UK crew its been great!! :)

Ozskipper is a wealth of info too! So thanks!

Hyena
19th May 2007, 16:19
More Aussies up at LHR.....WOOOO HOOOOO :ok:

With most of the original crew slowly returning to oz we have become some what of a dying breed in London. Not that its bad, I am an aussie myself and love working with my european colleagues, but its nice to have a mixed bag of lollies. There has been a few flights of late where I have been the only Aussie on a Qantas flight :}

Working up at London is brilliant. As mentioned, the base is small with about 400 odd crew. So everyone knows everyone. Although there has been a large recruitment wave over the last 7 months so there are quite a few new faces about.

We do cross paths with Aussie based crew mainly in singapore and Hong Kong. We can get a mixed responce from some crew....some are really friendly others I will hold my comments on :mad: Think there might still be some resentment towards us.

I manage on the salary but it will all depend on where you live in London, how much of your allowance you spend down route etc etc. I would assume you are been offered money to relocate??? That will certainly help you find your feet.

We are allowed to trip swap with other crew which gives you some flexability. You are also allowed to move trips forward if there are flights available and move your days off together.....it can get quite confusing to explain but the system works pretty well. Scheduling are great and will do there best to help you sort out any issues with your roster.

Personally I think anyone would be mad to give up the opportunity to live and work in London and still retain your employment back in oz. Its such a great opportunity.

:ok: please ignore my spelling...am really tired :E

LucyLou
19th May 2007, 22:41
Thanks for your reply - especially when ur so tired!
How have you found only having limited destinations? - Not that it should worry us! We have only had a select few!
Do you get many charter flights?

I have been reading the Admin booklet, this is quite helpfull too! Just wondering what the Interest Free Season Ticket loan is though? :confused:

Also i have no idea where to live when im over there, i know its personal choice, but its such a decision! Do many people share together or is it viable to rent on your own?
I was also wondering if its worth buying a little car over there or if im best to just use the PT system. Two years without a car, i dont know if i could cope without it!
Oh and relocation costs, to me they seem rather large to me (however i am single and would be coming with the bare essentials!) - but im sure they will come in handy!

It sounds like you have a wonderfull set-up up there, Similar to the one we have had here in CNS, which has worked well for us. Joining mainline will certainly be an experience! :)

Any other hints or tips you can provide would be wonderful!

Hyena
20th May 2007, 10:29
Hi Lucy.....

I think the interest free loan thing is for a Travel Card for PT....???? I think its to help when you first start/arrive from oz with QFUK.....but dont quote me on that :confused:

Having limited destinations isnt ideal but I suppose it can only grow from here. Galley FM reports new destiantions all the time. Until I am on one of these "new" destinations I'll believe it. :} Everyone has there thoughts and I would assume that one day Qantas must want a London/US route to finally allow pax to fly round the world on QF. So NY or LA maybe??? But only the fat cats really know. :8 The other day I heard about Dallas, China and even direct flights to Perth....

As we get such short slip times in BKK and Sin, it doesnt really matter where we fly. The time given really doesnt allow you much time to enjoy the "lifestyle" that flying is meant to offer. Most other airlines allow 2 nights in both ports. Our HK was trialed as a 3 days trip which was criminal. It is such a hard flight, especially the return sector. This didnt last very long thankfully :rolleyes:

One good thing about it is the 4 on 3 off pattern. It kinda allows you to have some kind of routine in both your work and personal life. You know exactly what to expect from each flight, operate on the same aircraft type and can plan your life around work...and to some degree work around your social life.

Dont bother with a car if you decide to live in London. PT is great and traffic can be terrible. Quite often a short distance is better travelled on a bus/tube than driving. Plus our salary doesnt allow for everything........
paying rent/mortgage/eating/clothing/car/PT/Travelling/socialising and saving......somethings have to give and I would start with the car. :(

It is a great place to work and for the time I stay I plan to enjoy every minute. I would love to transfer on this job back to QF Aus but this is but a dream :sad::sad::sad:

ozskipper
22nd May 2007, 11:34
Fantastic news that the AO crew are being offered some alternatives!

I assume if you come up to London for 2 years you will have a permanent position to return to in Australia in Qantas?

I'm with Hyena on this one, I definately think it's a good opportunity to live and work in the UK. The base is very friendly and having worked with both Sydney and Melbourne crews, the environment is very different up here.

The interest free season loan allows you to purchase a Yearly Travel Card to use on the Tube / Buses etc - the company pays the upfront cost and then deducts it from your salary over a 12 month period. Personally, I think it's great if you are based on the ground and are using the public transport system daily, but I find that using prepay is more economical as I'm only in the country for a few days a week and I don't always catch public transport.

I wouldn't bother with a car if you are going to live in the Greater London area - the public transport system is very extensive and the cost of running and insuring a car isn't worth it for the short amount of time you actually spend in the country. Again, it's a personal view and when I did the numbers it just wasn't worth it. If you are going to live outside of London and semi-commute then it may be worth it.

As for the money - you're not going to be retiring a land baron on it, but it's certainly liveable and providing you're sensible with your spending you'll have no problems surviving on it. Especially if you have your relocation allowance to supplement your salary.

Anyways, hope that helps :)

primus
10th Jun 2007, 21:18
Hi everyone

Has anybody applied recently and heard anything back yet?

They are still taking applications on the website.

ladyflyby
10th Jun 2007, 21:27
I applied a few weeks ago and they sent a confirmation but a few days later they said:

"At this moment in time, our recruitment campaign is on hold. This is due to the success of our recent recruitment campaign and the fact that we have now hit our forecast recruitment targets. When our next recruitment dates are set we will let you know by email."

I hear they may be recruiting again in autumn.

primus
10th Jun 2007, 21:33
Thanks Ladyflyby for the info.

Lets keeps our fingers crossed for the autumn then.

JonnieSonic747
12th Jun 2007, 06:23
Hi everyone...I've applied too and also waiting...

Just wanted to check, once accepted do we also get a dedicated 'qantas.com.au' company email?

Thanks,

kmp1
14th Jun 2007, 16:53
hiya,

Anyone know what the package is for ex AO staff internally transferring to LHR? I've heard it's quite a sum in relocation money..... What's to stop people accepting the transfer and backing out? Is it effective sept 1st still? And when do applications for it close? If there is the option to go this direction, why is there no option to transfer home to Aust? :confused:
Sorry for all the questions, and apologise in advance if this has been covered as I've been away for a bit! :E
Thanks to all replies....

kmp1 x

smartalec888
15th Jun 2007, 02:04
Kmp1: AO staff have been given 3 options... (from what I've heard anyway)...

1. Transfer to which ever base in Aust and become SH f/a's (being Australia + Asia/Pacific)

2. Transfer to LHR base on contracted terms

3. Take on VR.

kmp1
15th Jun 2007, 09:29
Do you know what the terms are for the LHR contract? What is VR?

Sonique
16th Jun 2007, 00:43
The terms of the LHR offer for AO crew are identical to that of S/H and L/H crew in Australia. There is no difference. Once the contract in LHR has been completed the ex AO crew will return to the S/H base they chose before leaving for LHR.

Some AO CSM's have been offered direct entry CSM positions with LHR.

AO crew have been offered S/H positions in SYD,MEL,PER and the CNS base. There is no offer of BNE base.

Quite a few crew are taking (VR)redundancy. Many are taking LHR as they want to continue sole international flying. And the rest will be spread amognst the S/H network.

kmp1
16th Jun 2007, 09:00
Except is it true they're getting 10 grand as well to relocate to LHR, right?

flitegirl
17th Jun 2007, 05:21
all Australian based permanent Qantas crew who choose to take the two year contract with QFCCUK are paid a 10k pound lump sum on arrival and a further 4500 pound payment to return home. This is to assist with expatriation and repatriation etc.

kmp1
17th Jun 2007, 11:01
Flitegirl, thanks for the info -- wow good deal for them....... And they'll probably still have to live with 10 people to pay rent in London! Anyway, do you know how long they have to decide ie: what date they have to decide if they want to go by?
Bali - good luck with your application!

flitegirl
17th Jun 2007, 22:47
Actually kmp1, it's not such a great deal. The salary paid in the UK is pretty dismal compared to what we get paid in Australia. So the lump sum payments go some way to make the package more attractive.

smartalec888
18th Jun 2007, 00:24
Bali: As for Australian culture just remember this: Neighbours is filmed in Ramsey St Mel, Home and Away in Sydney, Anzac biscuits came from Gallipoli and stuff with mateship. Add in a bit of Dick Smith.

That should get you off to a flying start.

kmp1
18th Jun 2007, 15:25
Flitegirl,
Is it the same salary / contract as the QF UK crew are on who were hired out of the UK? If so, then I guess it is roughly the same amount of money, but just a lot more expensive to live in London I guess, so I see what you're saying.

kmp1
18th Jun 2007, 15:27
Oh and smartalec888 - classic!! I was on the floor reading your post! Dick smith LMAO!!!

air doris
9th Jul 2007, 15:06
I hope I'm wrong but the money situation doesn't sound that good, although the ex/re patriation money is sure to help. I think this deal is an experience only thing and not one to apply for if you want to save money. The salary is about the same as here in OZ excluding all the add on's such as DTA, overtime etc. However word is AO is having to short list due to too many applicants so it's great to see the enthusiasm there. Sixteen are due to leave in Sep followed by another 16 in Feb. Plus the fact that QF LHR is expected to get an A380 trainer I think it's going to be a great time for those going over. I wish them all the best and for those of you already at LHR you will love the bunch of people joining you, they are a really good mix of crew. I have the pleasure of being friends and collegues with many of them and I can guarantee you will enjoy working with them.

ianbeale
23rd Jul 2007, 12:46
just a quick question,,,, are trips worked on "allocated working positions" or picked on seniority ?

Many thnks in advnce

bealie

Hyena
24th Jul 2007, 17:54
Hi Ianbeale.....

Our trips are completely random. You may get a good spread of HKG, SIN and BKK but then there are crew who get all of one type, no BKK...etc etc....it really seems to be what the computer spits out. I personally have always had a fairly even spread but think this has been pure luck to date.

As for working positions on the aircraft....these are allocated but some managers allow you to pick where you work based on first come first serve.....

Hope that answers your Q,s

Hyena
24th Jul 2007, 17:56
Any current QFUK crew heard there is a large recruitment drive at present???? Or is it just galley FM on the loose again?

I understand there are quite a few crew leaving......:sad:

Transition Layer
24th Jul 2007, 21:04
I understand there are quite a few crew leaving......

I'm not cabin crew but sitting up the pointy end I have heard the same thing, it seems the flavour of the month is to pack your bags and run off with a techie of your choice (QF or Cathay!). :}

Hyena
24th Jul 2007, 22:39
God, they must be desperate then :}:}:}:}:}

I think there is a lot of un happy people about. Could it be time to look at what QFUK earn in comparison to our Australian based colleagues???? It is always a hot topic on galley FM. How about a service related pay increase.....in the end there will be crew who have flown for longer yet earn near enough the same as an entry level recruit.....hardly fair.

Do the fat cats in QF really know what the cost of living in London and the UK really is????? By looking at it, far from it. I personally survive off what we earn....but is surviving really living???? :sad:

In the end.....money talks. There are a lot of people about who see QF as a stop gap...summer job.....something to do..... and in the end that will always rub off in the cabins.

But I guess somehow constant recruitment is cheaper than paying people more......but how is that going to allow us to offer a "world class service" when we are always "training" in our business and first class cabins......

Life goes on I suppose :ok:

buckleup_78
27th Jul 2007, 14:11
I just got offered a welcome aboard interview with QFCCUK. It all sounds good but I am not so sure I understand the salary structure? Can anyone be bothered to answer the following:

GBP600 Grooming allowance? paid over the year or lump sum?
Sector Pay? by the length of the flight?
The recruiter didnt mention the allowances in port? these are cash? local currency on the day?

Sorry about all the questions. I am attending from Australia, Im British/Pom but been in Aus 6 yrs - wanting to return back to the homeland, seems like a good job to do so and retain some of the aussie that has been instilled in me the last few years! Just trying to figure out the financials and no point flying all that way without being fully informed!

ozskipper
28th Jul 2007, 11:50
The grooming allowance is paid over a month period on a pro rata basis.

Sector pay is just over £100 per pattern (£50 per sector) and does increase if the sector is increased (but don't pin your hopes on it as it has to be a significant delay or increase).

Local allowances are paid in cash, tax free and in local currency.

dragonwithwagon
30th Jul 2007, 19:26
Can you please advise how much you are paid in allowances

Am presuming you get it in local currency when you get downroute.

ladyflyby
30th Jul 2007, 20:35
I had my telephone interview today - it caught me off guard! It felt like I was spouting utter gibberish! Ah well, I'll know my fate tomorrow :(

2nd Aug 2007, 18:41
hello!
is anyone starting with Qantas Uk on the 24th sept?

just waited 9 months for a start date!!!

excited and scared!

pm or post on here if anyone else starting too

luv
Airhostie

Sweetmissy
5th Aug 2007, 18:42
Hello..

I have my Welcome Aboard assesment day on the 15th August... am really looking forward to it.... Is anyone going on that day?

Sweetmissy x

Brace_Brace
8th Aug 2007, 23:52
Hi every one!! :O

Can I please pick your brains for a minute please? :confused:
I live In Newcastle (NCL) and just wondering if you or any one you know commutes from up my way. If they do, how do they find it, money wise? Do QANTAS staff get discount on BA and if so after how long? LAST question I assure you, Do you get stand by duties together in a section or are they on every roster?

Advice and answers will be very much appreciated! And hope I can answer some of your questions sometime. :O

Thanks.

Hyena
9th Aug 2007, 13:06
Hi Brace.....

Off the top of my head I cannot think of anyone that commutes from Newcastle. But we do have crew that commute from all over the place. France, Italy, Greece, Manchester, Wales.....to name a few.
You are not entitiled to staff travel until you pass your 6 month probationary period....but our staff travel is with BA and any one world airline member.
We do get standby days but they are first rostered as A days (available days) which up to 5 days before can be cleared....so become another day off....or you will know a day or 2 before that you will be on home stanby and must be available to report 90 min after you get called out....if you do that is. Its a hard one as since I started in the UK, I have been v lucky and never had a standby day.....:}:}:}
Hope this helps

tiggerific_69
10th Aug 2007, 10:09
Hi Guys
Ive been reading up about Qantas,what is the best way of explaining/describing Australian Spirit? Ive googled it but cant find anything definitive,and i dont want to get caught out ;-)

Brace_Brace
10th Aug 2007, 11:14
hyena thanks alot. :):):)

I’ve just finished the online application, all done and dusted now so I’ll just be waiting to hear from them. As I’ve just bought a house up here in the north commuting will be my only option. So I guess if I’m successful I’ll be ringing egg.com for an increase to fund my travel tickets. He he he.

raft rower
11th Aug 2007, 07:35
Hi to all the QFUK crew, I'm, aussie based crew coming over next year in Feb, can't wait to start over there! Any suggestions of areas to live? have to rely on the public transport system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.M me if you wish. Look forward to coming over and meeting and flying with you all! ;)

Hyena
12th Aug 2007, 04:34
Hi Raft....

You can basically live anywhere you want. What it really comes down to is $$$$$....well pounds but i dont have one on this computer :}

Do you want to be within easy distance of London itself? Or is the commute to work more important?

Staying west of London will offer ease to both London and Heathrow. The downside is that most of the 'nicer' areas of London are in this area and with that can come a nice price tag for rentals. If you are coming over as a CSS or CSM then you will be in a better financial postion to afford more rent if you choose.....or blow your relocation allowance on it :}
Generally you will be looking at 400 pounds and upwards for your own room anywhere in London. This will be plus council tax and bills.

www.findaproperty.com (http://www.findaproperty.com) is a great website that can help you navigate through all the areas around london and give you an idea of what renting is like and what you can get for your money. Keep in mind they have what is called council tax here which can vary from place to place and on the size of the property...so if its a 1 bed flat will it be cheaper than a 4 bed house.

If you are looking to move into an already existing house share..... www.gumtree.com (http://www.gumtree.com) is a good place to look at.

Good luck with the move.....:ok:

13th Aug 2007, 11:13
Hi Guys! is anyone else starting Qantas on the 24th Sept?
I am!!! PM me or message me on here if you are too? would be nice to know someone else on same course x
love
Airhostie :)
x

Claudinho
15th Aug 2007, 23:50
Hey all,how are you all keeping? Just Wondering i got invited to an welcome aboard way for the 17th of aug. Would somebody be so kind and tell me what "kind" of questions i can be expecting in the 2to1 interview?
Thxxxx

Claudinho

chemical alli
16th Aug 2007, 10:57
just a quick tip for the uk crew,once employed and flying, get to the galley first and eat and drink saves on your overnite dollars especially singapore.also smile at the poor gingerbeer as he knows the cheap wine bars. good luck to all who applied and keep smiling

Brace_Brace
20th Aug 2007, 10:02
Hi guys, I have had a call off Qantas this morning and missed it, they left voice message so called them back. They took my name etc and said ……..? who is dealing with your file will call you back later today. Is this for a phone interview? Quick reply would be grand. :):):):):):)

Claudinho
20th Aug 2007, 13:06
Yep if u didnt have ur phone interview,thats it then.

Best of luck !!

Claudinho

octagonal
20th Aug 2007, 21:14
ozskipper, If you have filled out the no right to work option on the application would you automatically be removed from the selection process, if so anyone know the chance of getting working visa without sponsor?

loty
21st Aug 2007, 16:58
Heya
I've noticed a few people have been saying QF pay isn't too great
anyone provide a general idea what kind of money you're getting in your account (after tax) each month?

I've been trying to work it out from bits of info..

sector pay £50 each = £400-£450
allowances = £240-£480
basic = £1000-£1100?
poss total £ coming in monthly= £1500-£1800 approx

is any of that correct?!
also assuming sector pay is taxed and allowances are minus whatever you spent downroute.. :} still, sounds like ok to me

anyone confirm/rectify?
much appreciate it! :ok:

Hyena
21st Aug 2007, 17:11
Hey Loty.

I would say all in as a Flight Attendant you will take home 1400-1600 per month....this includes all allowances, sector pay and tax.
And that is not taking out what you would spend down route.....

At full flying hours per month you can expect to take home 1150 basic/sector pay after tax . So really what you end up earning will depend on where you fly to and how much you spend.

It is a livable wage but definately not the highest paid airline operating in the UK.

loty
21st Aug 2007, 17:24
you STAR, thank you!
xX

ozskipper
21st Aug 2007, 19:35
Octagonal asks:

ozskipper, If you have filled out the no right to work option on the application would you automatically be removed from the selection process, if so anyone know the chance of getting working visa without sponsor?

If you don't have a right to live and work in the UK then no UK employer can legally employ you. So, you'll need to have a UK/EU passport, right of abode, ancestry visa or similar. If you are tertiary qualified and have earned a decent amount of money you could apply for a HSMP visa which is a working visa without a sponsor.

tashal_bb
22nd Aug 2007, 13:37
Hi Hyena, T
hankyou very much for all ur info from the past. I finally made up my mind and sign that letter of offer.
See you over in London in a month time.
Tashal b

InterestinUK
22nd Aug 2007, 22:43
Hi Galleychick,
I will shortly going for an interview with Qantas UK. Any advice or thoughts. How did you find the two years? I would love to see a roster also.
Regards
InterestinUK

InterestinUK
22nd Aug 2007, 22:47
Hi
Is that with Qantas UK? How was the interview? Any suggestions. Just waiting for my UK Visa.
Regards
InterestinUK

tashal_bb
23rd Aug 2007, 00:44
are you QF crew or outside applicant?... I didnt get ask to attend an interview. And got BFA position(current QF crew). But however I went for CSS interview but didnt get it.

octagonal
23rd Aug 2007, 23:41
:)Thanks ozskipper for your info

glider12000
26th Aug 2007, 16:02
I had an interview in November last year, but would like to reapply, would it be 6 months or 12 months before I reapply?

tashal_bb
26th Aug 2007, 21:01
Its normally 6 months with QF. :)

Adelez
1st Sep 2007, 08:56
hey guys! i applied a few weeks ago to qantas uk - received emails etc throughout my application saying they would be in touch etc etc, on 21st August received a phone call asking me to call back within the next week for a phone interview with Anne. Fine - i called back the next day was asked to leave my number and they would call me back that day, waited all day - no call - called them back simply to explain that as i was already cabin crew and was being sent away for a week would it be possible to call them in 5 days time when i got back - 'yes no problem they said'. got back called them ' why have you waited so long to call us?' explained the situation and same tihng leave your number and you will be called back. this has happened twice this week - i call them and they say they'll call me back in a few hours and never do! you think i should just take it that im not going to be attending an interview now?! its so annoying though as they kept asking me to get in touch and whenever i did they dont speak to me! soo annoyed and fed up of calling them.

RedTBar
20th Sep 2007, 00:10
It sounds as though the same HR people that run Sydney are in LHR.Can anyone tell me how long the training in LHR is?
cheers

Hyena
20th Sep 2007, 13:22
Training for QF at LHR is 6 weeks.....

There is a large wave of recruitment happening now.....It seems we have a lot of crew resigning at the moment......

Brace_Brace
24th Sep 2007, 20:29
what are the ID discount agencies.?? any1 know? plz pm me xx

Jetset_House
25th Sep 2007, 17:54
Hi,

I am attending the Welcome Onboard event for Qantas Cabin Crew UK recruitment on October 11th. Can anybody advise me on what to expect and what happens after the panel interviews if they are happy to take you on? Do they advise you there and then or do they let you know by post?

Any additional information will be very much appreciated!

Kind Regards
Jetset House

BA Boi
25th Sep 2007, 19:02
just out of curiosity, how many flights per week do the mainline longhaul SYD based QF crew do to LHR?

i realise that most of the final sector flying into LHR is done by the UK based crew.

thanks.

gromegrom
25th Sep 2007, 22:19
just 2 sectors. there and back.

H_Girl
26th Sep 2007, 01:52
BA Boi, the Syd crew do one flight a day. They operate the 31/32.

HG

lowerlobe
26th Sep 2007, 03:35
Thats right H_Girl...Aus crew do the 31/32..the best trips to LHR:yuk:

BA Boi
26th Sep 2007, 12:46
ok, thanks for that. :ok:.

hope you get more back at some point/new routes etc.

Hyena
26th Sep 2007, 15:24
It's unlikely the Aus based crew will get any destinations back :sad:....word on the street is future routes for LHR......makes sence $$$$$$ for LHR to operate 9/10 and 30/31... SIN/LHR and SIN/FRA :E
But cant see that happening for some time yet.....we can barely crew our current patterns let alone more destinations......:ugh:
A380 will be another story all together........

lowerlobe
26th Sep 2007, 20:34
But cant see that happening for some time yet.....we can barely crew our current patterns let alone more destinations......

Why is that Hyena?

Thanks BA Boi..Well in this game you never know what will happen tomorro

Hyena
26th Sep 2007, 22:09
Hey Lowerlobe.

There are various issues/factors that lead to it....but crew retention is an issue. We loose loads of fantastic crew which means we are basically continually recruiting to fill positions throughout the aircraft. This is not including our Aus based crew returning home after their 2/3 years are up.

If it were not for the Thai crew, it would be very interesting to see who would be operating our flights......:suspect:

Apparantly there is a class that has just completed their initial training and are been told they are now going straight into BFA training. Not only is that a kick in the teeth to current crew who recently applied and were knocked back...... Its really going to be great for our pax...some of the crew have never flown before, nor does the company really know what they are like.....next minute they will be Left 1 dealing with CIP's in first class....Thats going to be "premium service" :eek:

Base Management say its nothing to do with pay/conditions....but if you actually ask anyone it really falls bang on it. Nobody is asking for QF to meet the current LH Aus conditions (though it would be nice :O) but the cost of living in London is high and our pay barely covers it. Its sad to see crew penny watch. We have to save the majority of slip allowances otherwise there is no way you could survive in the UK off our basic pay alone.

Why would you remain at Qantas when you can work elsewhere for similar conditions, more destinations, better staff travel....the list goes on. Money talks and if you made Qantas much more appealing you are less likely to have crew look elsewhere for employment.

Sorry I could go on and on....there are many more issues but I dont want to totally Qantas bash....there is a good side to QCCUK but unfortunately the bad out weighs the good.

lowerlobe
27th Sep 2007, 05:31
Hyena..Thanks for your reply and it seems as though some of the rumours have some basis.

You would think from a cost point of view that although the crew cost is less than here in Aus the continual training cost because of the higher attrition rate would be counter productive.

Best of luck..

gigs
27th Sep 2007, 09:16
hyena do you have any idea of tooling costs for new staff ie. period of time in the job before the cost of out fitting and training costs are paid off before they have to hire another staff member? or how long do they like staff to stay does it seem? thanks gigs

gromegrom
27th Sep 2007, 09:41
hyena,
what s wrong with QF staff travel?

lowerlobe
28th Sep 2007, 03:03
Hyena...Among the QF Aust based crew that are in the LHR base what is the ratio of S/H to L/H?

Thanks

Hyena
29th Sep 2007, 05:03
Hi Groom.....

I suppose I am not trying to say that Qantas has terrible staff travel, just that there are other airlines who offer better staff travel. Virgin Atlantic is a great example.

Possible issues with Staff travel in London is the fact it takes up to 7 days for a ticket to be issued so if you decided to leave tomorrow on holiday you can forget using your concessions.......and 3 months to obtain a refund. The restrictions on the number of tickets you can purchase for family or your companion....the fact that Qantas will not upgrade staff yet BA will not only put their crew first, they also have been known to look after QF very well also. Sad we cannot return the kind gesture.

Hey Lowerlobe.

At a guess I think there are certainly more LH crew over here now...and a lot more Syd crew than I thought at first. I guess they are the ones that didnt have venom pouring out of their teeth at the London base in the beginning :} .
But in saying that there is a real mix of bases and I understand there are 16 or so ex Aus airlines crew about to come online.
There are a lot of crew who are returning home in the early months of 2008 so unless there are a lot coming up from OZ then I guess the numbers are going to change a lot in the coming months. So keeping our crew numbers steady over the next 6 months is going to be something to watch.......:suspect:

Only yesterday the base was calling in crew from days off, returning from trips etc to fly back out as we were very short on crew again. Only a few weeks ago they were asking crew to give back their annual leave to crew trips. But they are currently recruiting so i guess they are just trying to get through till the new recruits come online.....or too many people have left at once.....:=

lowerlobe
29th Sep 2007, 06:27
Hyena..Thanks for the information

cheers

Lowerlobe

Hyena
29th Sep 2007, 07:16
Gigs.

Sorry no idea on when it does not become cost effective to keep recruiting new staff.

As for how long they want crew to stay.....the feeling you get is they dont really care. Obviously nobody is going to admit to that, this would confirm there is a problem with the base. But certainly as crew you do feel that if you are thinking of leaving, the only concern is when and not why....... as they just need to know when, so they can get the next muppett in to take your place.

God I am begginning to sound like I hate Qantas....I guess until you sit down and look at it.....all that keeps you here is the love of your job and the great crew we get to work with....but for how long that will last falls with the individual I suppose. It's beginning to turn out that we were sold an Orange at the recruitment drive but its starting to look like a lemon....:{:{:{
Check out the recruitment website..... www.qantascabincrewuk.com (http://www.qantascabincrewuk.com) its says we fly to European Cities......well I have only ever done that when being diverted for a medical......

VS-LHRCSA
29th Sep 2007, 09:08
Hyena, I don't think QFUK is alone in that strategy. It seems a lot of airlines (eg: Virgin) have a high turnover of cabin crew. So much so, that I am wondering if there is some sort of financial advantage for them - tax breaks or something. This would explain why they don't bother to address the situation of mass resignations. At Virgin, it looks as if they actually go out of their way to find reasons to sack people and from what I've read on here, Qantas seem to be going that way too.

Hyena
29th Sep 2007, 11:05
VS-LHRCSA

Totally see what your saying....if that is the case then it is very sad to see.

Qantas prides itself not only on its safety record but the service we provide as a company.
Much of that is thanks to the very hard work done by all crew at all bases, especially those in Australia who have spent a lifetime working with Qantas to deliver what we do.

I am not saying that Virgin does not offer excellent service, each airline offers something to everyone. But experience does count for a lot and with Airlines such as BA that experience is what they currently offer that many of the newer, younger airlines lack. And if retention is an issue at Virgin then that is something we still have against our competitors, except in LHR.
Everyone has their own opinion and I guess this is just mine.....:)

There must be a balance and until that is found then those passengers in our premium cabins who fly half way to Europe may get one level of service and on the final leg something in which they have not paid thousands of dollars/pounds to receive.....When we are continually recruiting for positions it makes it very hard to uphold the service standards which the company and passengers have come to expect.

gromegrom
29th Sep 2007, 12:14
Thank you very much Hyena for your update,

So basically the system in not flexible: you have to buy your ticket long in advance and then cannot change it just few hours before flight for an earlier one...
Is this done through a staff travel website?Do you have to wait for a "paper" ticket?
Is it available only for your partner and family or you can add your friends as well?
How does it work if you r not married and don't live with your partner in the same place?

Anyway, it seems that they really invest in new-coming crew selections.
This process is the hardest to get through I ve ever seen.
They have MANY assessment days and offer the job only to very few. Out of those who got through to the end on my assessment day everyone I stayed in contact with received a negative answer.
So maybe it is QF way to deal with this crew situation.

gigs
29th Sep 2007, 12:29
im hearing yah! hyena and thanks so much for the reply and info cheers and enjoy your trips away gigs

gromegrom
1st Oct 2007, 12:06
Many thanks Hyena.

I ve posted a reply but it does not show. Probably censored,which is strange as it didn't have any sensible information.:rolleyes:

Do you have to wait for your staff ticked issued in paper and can U change it on the day of departure if you decide to take an earlier flight?
Do you do it through a site and if so, why does it take such a long time?

:}

Thanks a lot.

Hyena
3rd Oct 2007, 11:11
Hi Gromegrom.

I cant really help you with all your questions regarding commuting as I dont do it myself.
It must be possible as we have crew that commute.

As for your family/friends. If you list your parents as your group A id 90 travellers then you may list your siblings as your group B. To list your family you require a birth certificate etc. If you list your parents then they remain there for life and cannot be changed. If you list your family then you cannot have you partner/travel companion.

Should you wish to list a partner or companion as group A then you are not able to have any one else use your concessions. You do not require any proof of relationship just their passport details and they can be changed every 6 months.

There are no concessionary travel for your friends at all.

It is quite a complex system with very little, if no flexability in the rules.

I understand that they raised the bar on the min requirements to be offered a position with QCCUK.
That is great as it means we get the best of the bunch. But you will also find that new recruits will have a very high expectation of working for QCCUK and it may not turn out they way it was sold. Therefore you may see a higher amount of people leave as they know they are worth more.

I dont want to put a dampner on your well deserved efforts to be accepted to the team. I am sure you are excited to start and dont want to bring that down. This is simply my own personal experiences and thoughts on the matter. :)

See you online soon

Qstar
4th Oct 2007, 18:59
Looking for people at QCCUK:}

Qstar
4th Oct 2007, 19:12
How would a Qf 32 dep London at 12.30pm Arr Sin about 6.30am 1 day later........
Slip that day, the Night, then leave on the next day...........
Qf 009 at 10pm back to London.......
I think this would be great and a better slip for Singapore.....
What do you guys think?
Commuting....... Think hard about it............ you are on reserve for 4 weeks of the year, but also... any A days (non allocated work days) that are not cleared you may be on standby 90 mins to get to work. EG :
AAXXXPPPPXXXAPPPPXXXXPPPPXXXXAAPPPPXXXXXPPPPXXXAPPPPXXXAXAPP P
P=Patterns X = Days OFF A= standby or may be cleared... mostly not!! you can move these days around, if crewing allow it and no hours lost. As you can see not even trips are protected. They do there best not to disrupt your line but again sometimes out of thier control if high sick leave.
Hope this helps

gromegrom
4th Oct 2007, 23:13
Thank you Hyena and Qstar for this valuable information.

So does it mean that you can have more than 3 days off in a row as it looks from the pattern you gave here?

The 4 weeks SBY, I am OK with that. I would manage as I ll manage with my training course.
I talked to one of the former QF cabin crew today and he confirmed that those A-days are really painful.
Anyway, nothing is written in stone yet. So I guess I ll see how it goes and then take a decision.:O

Please do not feel bad about exposing the reality of the day to day order of things with QF. It really helps and prepares us.And it s much better than to have a bunch of surprises.

Qstar
5th Oct 2007, 08:22
There are many GREAT, BAD and UGLY reasons to work with QCCUK!

:)

If you know all the facts then you know what to expect, not sugar coat and later resign cause its not what your looking for I say!

Qstar

Felix Saddler
11th Oct 2007, 15:15
When invited to a welcome aboard day on average how many applicants are succesfully hired?

Mon05
18th Oct 2007, 16:38
Hi all,

I have tried my hardest to find previous threads relating to QF interviews/Welcome aboard day as I understand most people wont have the time to repeat themselves!! :ugh:

I would really appreciate it if somebody could possibly send me the previous thread?

Many thanks
Mon05

Mon05
21st Oct 2007, 11:52
Hi all

I have come across something that I am sure will get in my way of my dream career with QF UK - I do not have a grade 'C' in Maths just a 'D'. :{

As I can understand it, GCSE Maths and English graded 'A' - 'C' are a must! I have gained higher education such as NVQ's, Diploma's and RSA and wondered whether Qantas would take this into account?

I do not have a problem with taking GCSE Maths again but the course is for one year and by that time I will be too late :(

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and comments on this.

Many thanks
MON05

vodkaholic
21st Oct 2007, 16:39
why don't you apply and see. normally airlines look at your customer services experience before GCSE results, and they may decide that you have enough experience to be offered an interview. if not, then you will know to re-take maths and try again when you have it.

ashspears
23rd Oct 2007, 23:24
Hi I have got my assessment with Qantas in December has anybody got any information and advice for what i have got to do the day? any advice on the presentation? If any one can help i would be grateful,

Mon05
30th Oct 2007, 10:06
Hi there,
I have been trying to gather information on the interview process myself but nobody seems to bother with this thread anymore!!! :ugh:

Cabincrew.com has lots of useful info :O

A little info I got from there:

"swat up on the Qantas website and history. get some questions for the Q and A session but above all big smile and be your self.

In this case, know a little about the Qantas network, know about the destinations you would be expected to fly to (mainly HKG, BKK, SIN), what type of aircraft we fly, etc"

"Hello ,
They will do a mini Interview over the phone ..why do you want to work Qantas and a few Customer service examples , Just write some down before you call and GOOD LUCK

The tele-phone interview was very str8 4ward and really nice. lasts about 20-30mins and they just have nice wee chat with you asking about your current airline or job and why you would wish to leve, what you feel qantas can offer you for you to leve your current job, what you no about qantas, then some customer service questions, what you could bring to the airline and then they let you ask questions

you then give them a call back they day after so they have time to look over there notes to find out if you are asked for a interview."

Would be grateful if you could let me know how you get on??

Good luck
MON05

ButterflyB
30th Oct 2007, 13:03
Hi There,

I too have an interview(welcome aboard day) next week Nov 7th anyone else??..Would also be interested in the format of the day. I know it's been posted before but I can't seem to retrieve the old threads.. Any info would be much appreciated as I am flying over from oz for the interview...

Thanks heaps to anyone who responds... ;)

ashspears
31st Oct 2007, 08:42
Hi Thank you for replying to my message, Have you got an interview with Qantas? I have been researching all the information on Qantas's website. Do u have any idea what the presentation might be on ?

Thanks again

ash

Mon05
31st Oct 2007, 10:10
Hi AshSpears

I have only just submitted my application online so are hoping to receive a telephone interview.

I believe from other members they could get you to make a flyer on Australian holidays but the tasks/questions are not set in stone and can change daily.

At least you have until Dec to master QF's history, news, fleet, Australia!!!

Good luck

smartalec888
31st Oct 2007, 10:36
My tip as I've said before: start off with home and away, shake with some Neighbours add some Kath and Kim and finish with some Crocodile Dundee mixed with Dick Smith and a sprinkle of vegemite. k?

smiler23
4th Nov 2007, 17:19
Do Qantas UK have free parking at LHR for staff?
Thanks

Hyena
5th Nov 2007, 07:01
Hi B bear....there are some nice people about who will help you out.....well your girlfriend....

If she has been told Jan/Feb then it is most likely to be one of those months. We are currently very short on crew so I would be surprised to find she is pushed back.
It is just an unfortunate part of the waiting game with the airline industry and she will be informed ASAP with a start date.
If she gave our recruitment team the earliest date she could leave her currrent employment they will usually use her as close as possible to that time.....but this obviously comes down to good old "operational requirements".....

Hope this helps

Hyena
5th Nov 2007, 07:05
Hi smiler 23

Yes, Qantas do have a staff car park which is located a 5 min bus ride away from terminal 4.

smiler23
6th Nov 2007, 18:50
What do Qantas mean by the ability to provide exeptional customer service with an 'Australian Spirit'? Sorry, just want to be fully prepared for assessment day and any ideas on what kind of answers they're looking for should this question arise would help.
Thanks

indamiddle
13th Nov 2007, 12:19
'australian spirit'
try helpful, cheerful, professional with the ability to anticipate needs of passengers working in a team enviroment.
if that isn't close then they must mean bundaberg rum (try mixing it with dry ginger ale, a great drink!)

Mon05
14th Nov 2007, 15:30
Just had my telephone interview with the lovely Anne.
The mini-interview is very relaxed, Anne's sweet Australian voice puts you at ease!!!

ALTHOUGH I think my nerves got the better of me, think I could have done better :uhoh:

Hope Anne see's past my interview nerves and invites me to attend an assessment day??? :yuk:

Good luck to you all.

Mon05
15th Nov 2007, 16:53
Hi guys

I have an interview with QF in December and wondered how long the day lasts so I can book my flight.

I understand if you dont get through to the afternoon your day wil be unfortunately cut short :uhoh:

Many thanks
MON05

chileconcarne27
15th Nov 2007, 17:38
Hi MON05,

I had my day with Qantas last week, started at 8am (i would seriously recommend coming down the day before and staying at the hotel if you have far to travel).

Some people will be sent home after the morning session while the others get through to interview. If ou don't get through then you can be out of the hotel by about 1. If you get through then expect to be there until about 4.30/5 depending on how far down the list of interviews you are. You'll have to do a quick computer test while you wait for the interview too.

I would suggest not booking your return flight to early as you woulnd't want to run fro the Jury's inn...it's about 5 min fast walk to Hatton Cross tube and then you've got to leave time to get to the terminal.

Hope that helps

Aussie_Pilot
23rd Nov 2007, 18:07
Hello to everybody
I've just got my phone interview with Qantas UK and they told me that I've to call them back on Monday to let me know if I'm been succesful for an assestment day

What do you guys think?
In my experience when I had a Phone interview if i did get trought either they told me straight away or they said me :"We're gonna send you an email..."
May I hope I'm passed just because I've been asked to call back personally?

Please guys help me...

Mon05
23rd Nov 2007, 18:57
Hi there Aussie Pilot

This is standard practice I believe. After the telephone interview they require time to review their file before inviting you to an interview.

Don't worry, i'm sure you did really well.

Keep me posted of your progress!!

Many thanks
MON05

humberto
23rd Nov 2007, 19:43
I've got this on my email today,

Dear Humberto,
Thank you for your previous application to Qantas Cabin Crew (UK) Limited. We are sending you this email to advise you that we are recruiting again and to let you know that we are interested in speaking with you further about a position with us.
Please note that to work for Qantas Cabin Crew (UK) you must hold a valid visa or passport that allows you to work in the UK for a period of at least 3 years. You are kindly asked to research your visa eligibility before getting in contact with us. Please also note that Qantas Cabin Crew (UK) does not provide sponsorship of visas.
If you are still interested in a position with us please do not reply to this email. Instead, you must contact us by telephone on one of the following numbers:
Within UK - 00000000000
Outside UK-00000000000
If we do not hear from you within 2 weeks we will assume that you are no long interested in a position with us and block your application for a period of 12 months, after which you are very welcome to reapply.

:{I dont have the the right to live or work in the UK but i heard its possible to obtain passes that would allow you to . Any ideas?

Thank you
Humberto

fancyflying
24th Nov 2007, 14:33
If you're offered a job and told the next trainig course is Jan or Feb, will they let you go on course in March/April? Also, the training is 6 weeks - is that 7 days a week, and what kind of hours do you do?

Aussie_Pilot
26th Nov 2007, 14:44
I've just got Confirmed that I've passed the Phone Interview Stage and I'm now gonna be at an assestment day @ LHR on December 13th
Who's coming up? Please contact me :)

flyca86
29th Nov 2007, 18:38
hi guys....do you know what thy are going to ask at the telephone interview??

pls
any reply would be great help!!

xx

Mick Strigg
13th Dec 2007, 09:08
How long after the interview day do you find out if you have been successful or otherwise?

Lewis AAC
13th Dec 2007, 11:57
Will QF UK be doing any recruiting in feb / march 08 ?

Ali_Xander
13th Dec 2007, 12:56
Qantas has been recruiting since August from what I know, and are still doing so. Therefore I would presume that it's likely they might still be recruiting when you get over here. You never know, maybe someone else can clarify.

whitenite
17th Dec 2007, 12:50
What has QF done to you Hyena?

I started reading this forum and you were the happiest, most helpful and honest poster on here. (for those of you looking for the spirit of Australia then start at the beginning of this thread and read Hyena's posts - you should get a basic understanding)
But in the space of 8 months (your first post was on the Ides of March your last was Guy Fawkes day - perhaps warning signs?) the red rat has turned you from that wonderful person into just another frustrated yet bewildered and ultimately burnt-out commodity. It was just about enough to bring this cold, black-hearted LAME to tears.
What has happened to our airline? Had enough and want to resign? Well here's your hat and what's your hurry? Don't get smacked on the ass by the door as it closes!
I, and many others understand how you must be feeling. Hopefully it's not all doom and gloom with you and you will bounce back to your best (again Aussie spirit - if you fall/get knocked over, get up, dust yourself off and get on with life)
Don't know if you are GB based Aussie or on posting, but hope it all works out for you. Nil desperandum illigitimus carborundum.

whitenite x

p.s. for those of you struggling with the spelling of qantas, it is an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service. Founded in 1920, first commercial service Nov 2 1922, second oldest continuously operating airline in world after KLM, which recently merged with Air France, so may now be the oldest and safety record par excellence.

landlady
22nd Jan 2008, 11:10
I am applying to QFUK after a long break from flying, and am interested to hear how anyone gets on at their February 'Welcome Aboard Day' when it comes around, so don't forget to post an update and good luck. I am what is know in the trade as a 'wrinkly'.... but not quite past my sell-by date. Over 20 years of BA flying behind me including Concorde, and I hope lots more to come with QFUK - if I am lucky enough to be selected. Main reasons for returning to flying is that I am good at customer facing situations, I have never lost my enthusiasm for the job and I look forward to making new friends, young and old. My family, all grown up now and the reason for the career break, consider me to be young at heart and not afraid of hard work! I have heard so many good things about QFUK from airline collegues so watch this space - you may just see a glamourous granny amonst your number! Just one or two questions....where at LHR does the training take place and are QF going to transfer to T3 when BA go to T5? Thanks.

Muizenberg
23rd Jan 2008, 21:53
Question for those that initially joined QFCCUK.

Now that a new subsidiary has been set up in OZ for LH recruitment (QF CC Australia), will it be possible to transfer from QFCCUK to the new company or JetConnect NZ (if you hold an OZ/NZ passport or indefinate work permit? Or must one resign and re-apply?

Many Thanks.

smartalec888
24th Jan 2008, 09:41
Most likely you will not be able to transfer to Jetconnect (NZ) or QCCA (Australia) as they are individually registered company's so you would need to resign.

QFUKflyer
24th Jan 2008, 13:27
hi LandLady

yeah qantas will move to T3 this year when the move to T5 happens with BA ,

Ans we do our training at the base in T4 at present and also Cranebank for Ep's

full course about 6 - 6.5 weeks

hope this Helps

:)

landlady
24th Jan 2008, 14:08
Thank you for your reply, very informative. I'm looking forward to my Welcome Aboard day and hopefully to joining QFUK.

Cageflyer
29th Jan 2008, 16:44
Hi all

I'm really interested to find out more about the Qantas UK contract and pay. Can anyone explain what the basic salary is and if you get any additional allowances of top of that. I know that the meal allowances are paid in local currency down route, but is this shown on the pay slips? Reason for asking is due to the fact that I'm changing my mortgage later in the year and if I'm lucky enough to be taken on board with the base I need to plan for this in advance??

Sounds like the base to be at and hope to get the chance to fly with them.

Many thanks in advance.

flitegirl
29th Jan 2008, 18:31
These figures are almost perfect but I don't have my payslip handy to give you exact figures

Your basic is a little over 13,000
Sector Pay is a little over 50pounds so you usually get 200-400 pounds per month

My take home pay after tax is usually around 1,100 - 1,200 per month.

Meal allowances are paid in cash at the hotel and don't appear on your pay slip.

Cageflyer
29th Jan 2008, 19:35
Many thanks for your reply.

Just out of interest do you get or can you get any documentation that shows how much you receive in terms of meal allowances down route for mortgage reasons??

flitegirl
29th Jan 2008, 21:09
No, unfortunately I don't think that is available.

sognandoil380
1st Feb 2008, 19:14
Hi ,
I'm an italian flight attendant and today I received a phone call from qantas but unfortunately I wasn't at home!! Do you think they'll call me again??
Do you know the questions they used to do during the conversation?
How is the salary?
how long the training course is?
IF I WANT TO BACK HOME IN VENICE DURING MY DAY OFF I HAVE ANY ZED TICKETS OR FREE TICKETS WITH BRITISH ??

Thank you for help me!!!!!!!!!!!

sognandoil380
1st Feb 2008, 19:30
HI,
I'm an italian flight attendant and today I received a phone call from qantas BUT I wasn't at home!! Do you think they'll call me again for an interview?
If I work in qantas do I have any ticket facilities to back home in venice during my day off ????
thank you for help me

7th Feb 2008, 13:01
Pls anyone can tell me what is the group exercises, computer test,and 2 to 1 questions?PLS

boredmaud
7th Feb 2008, 14:38
I applied to QFUK and they left a message on my UK mobile before Christmas which I didn't get till the end of January, I called them, it was no problem, they were very helpful, had a phone interview and when I called back as i was asked, was given an assessment date.
They are very helpful people, whatever else may or may not happen on The Day!

flyca86
10th Feb 2008, 09:07
hi guys...i ve got my welcome aboard day with QF on the 12 of feb...two days to go....bit nervous..anyone else on the same day???

seadolphins77
11th Feb 2008, 09:04
Hi everybody...
I have my assessment day on the 13rd of March...
Is anyone on the same date?
Feel excited about that, because that's my second chance. I mean: I had the "Welcome Aboard Day" and was supposed to start the course 2 years ago, but I had to refuse the contract because of health problems. I felt nervous on that day, but everyone was so friendly and helpful and I had very good feelings towards them... Now I'm ready to start, hope this will be the right occasion... Let's see what happens... Really looking forward...
good luck to everyone who's trying...

Cageflyer
13th Feb 2008, 18:55
Hi there

How did the assessment day go today?

fani999
15th Feb 2008, 08:04
Hi everyone, I went to the Welcome on board day on February 13th 2008 for Qantas LHR. We had to participate in group tests (6 tables of 6 people). We were given two subjects: first one was to prepare a flyer to promote an Australian diner. In the second one, something had been stolen in a party and we needed to discuss about the potential thieves. In my group we all spoke and participated (we were all quite open, smiling and polite to each other). At the end of the morning the recruiting team only kept one person of my table. Most of the persons that were selecting us have been cabin crew for Qantas LHR for 2 o 3 years and we were not informed if they had any degree in psychology to be in charge of what I believe is a group behavioural study. I wish, all of us would have had the opportunity to only have a 10 minutes private interview to discuss our experience, our abilities and motivation. If I had been dismissed after that I wouldn't have left with the feeling that they didn´t even try to know me (which is the purpose of an interview, isn´t it?). I would have thought the 4 european languages I speak and my experience as a cabin crew in private jets and other airlines would have opened me the door to at least a 10 minutes conversation. Good luck to you all!

15th Feb 2008, 19:40
:{Hi everyone, I went to the Welcome on board day on February 15th 2008 for Qantas LHR. We had to participate in group tests (6 tables of 6 people). We were given two subjects: first one was to prepare a flyer to promote an Australian diner. In the second one, something had been stolen in a party and we needed to discuss about the potential thieves. In my group we all spoke and participated (we were all quite open, smiling and polite to each other). At the end of the morning the recruiting team only kept one person from each table,but no from my table.so only 5 went to 2 2 1:ugh:

MAN330-300
17th Feb 2008, 13:03
I made to the last 2-1 interview stage last year however I did not get accepted.

landlady
22nd Feb 2008, 07:02
I went along to the Welcome Aboard day on February 14th, and got throught to the afternoon 2:1 interview. I felt I had done well, but I didn't get the job. My initial reaction was that maybe they considered me too old for the role, but I doubt if I would have been asked to the interview at all if that were the case. But, I accept that I must have done something wrong. On the whole, they were friendly and professional, but I was interviewed by someone who's first language wasn't English, and I struggled to understand one or two questions and they way they were read out by that person from a well-thumbed, not very professional looking shabby piece of paper. Something in the way they intonated the questions left them open to being interpreted in various ways, and I feel that a degree of clarity could be the way forward for that particular person in the future. Qantas could be missing a great opportunity to employ some high caliber individuals. But then, I would say that, wouldn't I?! As a post-script,I have been accepted as E/F crew by my wonderful old company, BA, and I am very much looking forward to starting this new stage of my life after a very demanding couple of years - and as the old addage goes - as one door closes, another one opens. To everyone out there,young and old, there is no stigma in rejection. Use it as a rehersal for the role that you really want, go for it and good luck. I met some lovely, intelligent, capable people at Jury's Inn, and as an ex-recruiter I was astounded to hear that hardly any of them were acceptable to Qantas.

bkkfly
4th Mar 2008, 03:32
I am attending the WAD on March 11. I am flying in from BKK where I am currently based. Anyone else attending? any tips?:8

Mootiful
5th Mar 2008, 13:25
I am also attending on 11 March, arriving from Hungary.... :O)
anyone else from abroad???? or i'll be the only one with accent...lol...
oh...and just an enquiry really: if i happen to stay for the afternoon interviews (i am optimistic :) ), do i need to know everything about AUS, SIN, BKK and HKG or just some basic details ?

thanks a lot and good luck to everyone!!!

heather747
5th Mar 2008, 21:43
Well done to everyone who made it past the telephone interview and to the Welcome Aboard Day. Coming from someone whom has recently completed the interview stage, finished training with them and began flying with them to their amazing destinations, I am very proud to work for such a great company.
Advice for the WAD, be yourself, they want natural people who have a something to them- that spark!! Do lots of research on AUS and Qantas. Enjoy the day as you get to meet some great people, as I did ( and now I fly with them)!! Qantas have such high standards and know exactly what they are looking for so if you dont fit the bill dont be bitter like Landlady:p, just take it as a great experience- you'll know what I mean once you have been to the Jurys Inn.
Good luck everyone;)

landlady
6th Mar 2008, 09:05
Heather 747
It was good to read your comments, and after reading my comments back to myself, I figured that I had come over quite well - far from bitter! On the contrary, I know that I must have done something wrong on the day, as I said in my original post. (Perhaps I'm not brainwashable!). I have been in the aviation industry for far too long (34 years flying for Laker Airways, BA on 7 aircraft types including Concorde, training and recruitment, executive jets and private jets for the aristocracy - not to be confused with celebrity,) to be bitter about anything. I am happy to be returning to BA now that I have reached a stage in my life where I still do have 'the spark', and I can enjoy myself whilst providing excellent customer service to collegues as well as customers.(By the way, I would have taken BA even if I had got the job with QF -as I know at least 4 people with me on the day have done.) I was merely providing feedback, as a lot of posters on here are honestly interested in the outcome of airline interviews. So, heather747, enjoy your three exciting destinations and when you have a few trips under your belt, ask yourself why an increasing number QF c/c are so unhappy!!

landlady
8th Mar 2008, 10:01
There is no such thing as a typical BA employee, we are diverse. QF, it seems, however, from my experience, would like their employees to be stereotypical. (Noitice there I said," in my experience.") You are all getting far to protective and touchy about what was an honest peice of personal feedback.
I went to the interview, as a number of people did, to gain experience (never too old for that) and to hedge one's bets. But I don't have to qualify my actions here. It paid off for me, and each to their own. I don't generalise, but from a few QF people whom I have spoken to privately, there does seem to be a little unrest. (Not just cabin crew. I have worked closely with QF staff on the ground.) In the world of avaiation, this is not uncommon!
Since I have nothing whatsoever to do with QF, I have said all that I have to say on the subject, which was interview feedback. From the PM's I have received, I know that a lot of people were grateful for it.

monkeybusiness2
8th Mar 2008, 12:56
Typical BA employee? Please expand on that comment.

dollydaydream
8th Mar 2008, 13:39
I believe the captain speaks with a wealth of experience and knowledge - he is after all due to start his cc training with Qantas later this month:rolleyes:

Landlandy - I for one appreciated your comments. I have heard mixed reports regarding their recruitment, it is nice to have someone's opinion so eloquently put. Good luck on your return to BA.

captainbrit1
8th Mar 2008, 16:27
haha i was joking, everyone loves BA :bored:

skyboy1919
16th Mar 2008, 00:40
Come on now boys and girls, we should all know better, it is nothing more than you face fitting on the day. I know good and bad people that work for both Qantas and BA. As someone that has worked for both I can assure you each has its good points and bad.

Is it not the same old S**t in a different uniform? In fact I have found that both Qantas and BA are remarkably similar. both make mistakes with recruitment and if you had just been sat at a different table, or on a different day the outcome could have been different for EVERY single one of us.

When I first started flying, I got BA but could not get Ryanair! How does that work?

smileyface
23rd Mar 2008, 05:20
im sorry if this has already come up previously in the thread, but I was wondering if the QF UK base employs Australian's that are only eligible for working holiday visas? I already work for the QF group of companies in AUS if that makes any difference?

tripperchris89
30th Mar 2008, 12:28
If anyones staying at the jurys inn on the 9th april before the interview on the 10th, should meet up before hand and get rid of some nerves by metting new people!

flying down from manchester so i hope it pays off!
xx
chris

flystarboy
7th Apr 2008, 14:19
Just wanted some info for a frind of mine who is thinking of applying...

What routes do you fly and would they be able to commute in from Europe if successful?

Many thanx:ok:

VS-LHRCSA
7th Apr 2008, 14:25
I'm not QFUK but plenty has been written on here.

Basically, they operate LHR - SIN, BKK, HKG. 4 day trips with 3 days off in between plus the odd available day (correct me if I'm wrong).

People do commute but staff travel does not kick in for 6 months, which could be a struggle on any airline if you commute from Europe.

Seems like a nice arrangement but wouldn't suit everybody. In fact, commuting has been mentioned as one of the reasons of the turnover.

Jetset_House
9th Apr 2008, 16:34
Hey! I am crew fro QFCCUK and its a fantastic base, only small so your not just a number with huge opportunities for promotions and other rolls on the ground such as First Hosts, Recruitment, Training and Base Ops. Generally get much more then 3 days off after trips, I had an block of 11 days off on my last roster and currently on a block of 6 days off before my next trip. I could pick up extra trips though if I chose to.

There is a huge amount of flexibility for commuters as you are able to change your roster to effectively suit yourself i.e. pull trips forward, create back to backs etc...I commute from Manchester efficiently by train but a lot of crew commute from Europe, in particular Brussels, Paris and Madrid.

Good luck!

lon38
13th Apr 2008, 10:13
hi,

i am working for EK as cabin crew in Dubai and was born in Thailand. My boyfriend with whom i have been dating for about 3 years now is living in london. Could you please advise me how i will need to apply for QF UK as don't have EU passport. Is the only way to get married, then get a EU passport and then apply for the job or do you know any other way ?
Thanks

1liam1
13th Apr 2008, 22:05
:eek:Ditto

mid assist
18th Apr 2008, 04:54
Hi everyone in London,

Big news down here in Aus. QF London base will double in size by early next year. This of course is to accommodate the A380 starting on the 16th Jan09 for LHR based crew. They are going to offer positions for Aus based crew to start in June, Sept/Oct and Jan 09. I would say they will probably get about 30-40 crew if that, to take the 2-3 year contract. The other 300 plus crew will come from local recruitment. So if you are thinking of joining QF, now is the time. Lots of growth, A380 flying, new product.
I myself will be joining the London team in June, as will about 10 or so, of my fellow Cairns based crew.

See you soon,

Mid Assist

tripperchris89
20th Apr 2008, 21:02
Hi there.
I had my welcome aboard day a week and a half ago! Its a very good day! All the staff are really friendly. You just do a group activity in your tables with the assors. and then learn about qantas. After this you get to do a role play, ( its indivdual ) which is really relaxed!

then after this comes the cut. very tense.

If you get through then you have time to prepare for the 2-2-1 interview. a bit difficult with tricky questions

but over all a really good day!
xx

flyingJetblue
26th Apr 2008, 04:08
Hi midassist, im sydney based long haul crew, im putting my hand up for London base, my manager told me that applications will be advertised next month in CC News and Websight, ive got annual leave in June, so i hope they take us at the end of the month not in the middle !!. Im really excited about coming up, nice change, a few of the Sydney crew have been down right hostile towards me going and said nasty things but i dont care, its all a choice right !. Does anybody now for Aussie based transfers what the average weekly wage is, i found a place to rent in south ken for 145 pounds per week.
thanks.

mid assist
28th Apr 2008, 13:01
Hi flyingJetblue,

Great to here that there is some interest out there apart from the Cairns base. Have heard that the training will start first week of June to be in London on the 30th, in time for the welcome day.
There will be the annual recruitment for London which should start in June. Have heard, that would be for possible Oct/Nov departure from Australia or Jan 09.
The June group is to cover a shortage and also boost the numbers of Aussies' over there, cause there isn't many of them left there.
Was personally hoping for a July start, Can't make Early June. I'll be part of the next intake for sure.
Mid Assist

spunksta22
8th May 2008, 02:13
Hi! Im current QF crew in AUS, just wondering if the company will sponsor a visa for your partner to come and live with you in the UK too? Also, is it easy and cheap to undertake study in the UK? Thanks!

Muizenberg
8th May 2008, 18:41
Which flights do LHR crew operate ex-LHR?? Need to book a seat to SYD and keen to fly with the LHR crew on the sector to SIN. At moment best fare is on QF32/31 got a feeling that is the SYD crew all the way.

Fly for BA at present and thinking of jumping ship...to QFUK. Would really like to experience what the service is like, talk to the crew, etc...

Many Thanks in Advance.

p.s. the reason I am thinking of joining QFUK is the flexibility of trading trips, which at BA longhaul is none; and the prospect of even a chance of promotion. After 17 years flying, 5 years at BA, promotion is a distant prospect if not a fantasy...

p.p.s. would I be a real oldie joining and starting from scratch at airline no. 3??

suzie-A
11th May 2008, 08:35
QF UK crew operate QF9/10 between LHR-SIN. No, you would not be an oldie joining the LHR base- regardless of how many airlines you have flown for. Many crew in the UK base have many airlines under their belts. Heaps of experience in the LHR base.

locknseal
16th May 2008, 02:14
Hey there.
I would recommend anyone to do it.I stayed up there for 3 years and it was the best thing I have ever done.Some points to add,
Europe at your doorstep, really cheap flights with all carriers and BA fly everywhere, London is so vibrant and there is always something on, great crews to fly with and no bidding which I think was good as I got a good share of flying.
But the downside is the weather does you head in a bit.I actually loved the weather especially at Christmas.You will get approx 1,190.00 pounds a month but go for CSS or CSM as the money is better.Also you will get all your UK tax back in the first 3 years as you are a non resident.And then there is your allowances which I managed to bring home.I lived in a great suburb and travelled heaps and got to bring money home.So you can do it.My only regret is that I had to come back ! For for those people who give you some grief we got it big time when we started there and hey, do you really care what they think.Go for it !!!

tashal_bb
20th May 2008, 10:32
I do agree with you locknseal :ok:...
I just came up 8months ago.. I have to say it was abit hash to start with as I came up at the wrong time of the year Sept/Oct (bad weather, pitch black by 4.30) n homesick the 2nd month.. :{
BUT now Im loving it:}.. It take sometimes to get used to it (just less than 6mths for me) Im so glad that I made the right choice 10mths ago.. Europe is just right around the corner.. done lots of travelling especially now the weather is so great.. U dont have to have 1mth holiday to travel Europe... :p
Great flying out of LHR.. only spore/honkers n bangers 4 days away n 3 days off.. allow 1 back to back... it gets in a little routine which really easy to manage for commuters.. Pay is abit low compare to Oz..but hey once in the lifetime.. just have to play smart with d money.. and try to have some quiet nights in outport (which is hard to do, as we always have plans in outport) thinking about a quiet night which always end up til d sun comes up :E

Your UK working visa can sponser your spouse/registered partner n childrens to come to London for the length of your stay and unrestricted employments for your partner but however QF only pay for ur visa, any other cost is on ur own (AUD520 per person)

Hope I can convince you to make the right choice... Pls bring up more Qs if needed...

bb..

Flying Fairy
22nd May 2008, 15:14
Hello!
Just wondered if anyone can give a bit of advice! I am interested in applying for Qantas but if I should get through I would not be able to start until July, maybe August as still on maternity leave from my current airline and would need to sort childcare. When would be the best time to apply? i.e. is there a long waiting list?! Also how many nights away on average a month would you say you are away? If like people say its four on, three off this would probably work out better than my current airline as home more days a month.
Thanks!

Flying Fairy
22nd May 2008, 18:55
P.S Also if anyone could possibly give me a copy of their roster (PM me) that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

flyingJetblue
4th Jun 2008, 11:16
Applications are now open for Australian based long haul crew they close 27 June but no dates are given for when the transfer would take place any ideas anybody?? mid-assist maybe you might know??

Hobart RockStarr
4th Jun 2008, 13:43
Hi all,
I've recently returned home to Tassie after a few years flying with Emirates in Dubai, and as much as I thought I would be OK with it, I can't stand the 9-5 Mon to Fri thing I'm doing now!
Looking at going back to flying, QF seems to be the best bet- Idealy would like to live in Aus, but NZ for Jetconnect or Qatas UK would be options too.
I've just been reading the new FAA agreement but cant get my head around how much the salary would be? Is it say $29,000 base plus a hourly rate and allowances or is the $29,000 all you get (plus overtime if any) and allowances?
Emirates was base+ hours+ allowances but if thats the case with QF it doesnt seem to add up? Excluding allowances what could I expect to take home a week on International based here in Aus?
Thanks

mid assist
4th Jun 2008, 22:00
It will be a Jan 09 start. London will probably take place in LHR. You should be online for the A380. The Big transfer to terminal will be going on as well. Exciting time to start.

see you there,

Mid

chellywell
28th Jun 2008, 20:29
Hi, I've had my telephone interview and was immediately invited to the selection day (her words). I currently work and take home £1199 a month and just about survive!. I live up north and would have to commute and was wondering if its feasible. I appreciate it might cost more for the first 6 months and would hope I wouldn't bankrupt myself but would it be it be worth it after that? Also do you have to pay for getting to the selection day or can you claim it back?
Hope you can help?

DivingDiva
28th Jun 2008, 20:39
chellywell

Congratulations on getting to the Selection Day! I've just been through it all myself and the only advice I can give is just to be yourself and relax so they get to see the true you!

I'm awaiting a training date so can't give you any info.on £££ - I know that the basic you will start on is about £11,600 with a £50 flight pay for each duty period. You will do approx. 4-5 trips a month so that will be an addition £400-£500 on top of your basic. You also get approx. £100 worth of allowances in currency when you arrive at your destination so depending on how much you spend on a trip will depend on how much you get to keep......not that any crew would have any money left as its not taxed as its expense money the tax man cant have so we spend it all...honest ;o)

As far as expenses for travelling to selection days - unfortunately, this is at your own cost. With approx. 40 people at each selection day they hold and so many selection days being held with only a few being selected, it would not be cost effective for the airline to be able to pay out for travel costs.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you are successful of the day! I can't wait to join the airline and just wish I could start training sooner rather than later so I can get back to flying again!!!

Good Luck!!!

Luckyglen
30th Jun 2008, 12:56
How long do Qantas Crew stay in HKG,BKK and SIN and what sort of accommdation do the company provide for there crew

hawaiianhosty
5th Jul 2008, 12:22
I'm thinking of applying for crew based at LHR but just wondered what kind of schedule it is..like how many days on/off and spent down route etc. I used to fly with Qatar Airways and im approaching 30 and need to do something again before it's too late..pls help x

garyg20
5th Jul 2008, 19:02
From what they said at the interview, its 4 on 3 off so basically you leave LHR on day 1, have day 2 and 3 at your destination and then fly back to LHR on day 4 and then have 3 off so effectively your doing approx 4 trips a month, one per week.
Also have one month of the year on standby and avaliable days.
They really sold it to me at the interview, seems like a great airline to work for.

smartalec888
8th Jul 2008, 10:41
LHR base only operate to BKK, HKG and SIN. No sectors to Australia.

Bad Hat Harry
8th Jul 2008, 13:01
Based in LHR you are not actually employed directly by Qantas but rather a hire company.
Qantas as a direct employer is crappe.
Get yourself a job with BA or Emirates.
These airlines have a much bigger network,better rates of pay and better Terms and Conditions.

smartalec888
9th Jul 2008, 10:15
Just to clear it up for everyone, QCCUK is not a labor hire company - it is a subsiduray used to employ long haul cabin crew to operate Q services. So being a subsiduray technically you are an employee of The Qantas group (eg: like Jetstar, Q catering).

In mainland Australia, the short haul division use a labor hire company to employ casual flight attendants. The labor hire company has nothing to do with the actual airline.

outandabout
9th Jul 2008, 10:42
Also you can trip swap, so if you wanted to do a HKG trip then have minimum time off in LHR and go out again to HKG or SIN or BKG then you have more days off at your home port. I have recently done a flight as a pax and I can only say how nice the LHR based crew were.

chellywell
13th Jul 2008, 19:04
Hi all, I'm off to London in a couple of weeks for my 'welcome aboard day'. Can anyone tell me what the allowance is for standby days. Just trying to work out the costs involved. Also, how many days annual leave do QCCUK crew get. Please PM if you can. Just trying to justify the cost of the selection day at the moment, and whether the pay would cover my mortgage!
Thanks in advance.:hmm:

gilbert1981
15th Jul 2008, 16:13
hi all!
i am booked on the 30th of this month for the WAD..... can anyone tell me what will happen on this day, tnx in advance. am a bit getting nervous:uhoh:

DivingDiva
16th Jul 2008, 12:36
I am currently waiting for a training date to be based at LHR and am so excited but so eager to get started.

I got confirmation after my medical nearly 3 weeks ago and they are not giving any clues away as to when the next training date will be scheduled.

I don't suppose there is anyone out there with insider knowledge so I can start making plans as I will need to organise accommodation nearer LHR for the course and will be moving house as well so the sooner I know, the sooner the "limbo" living can end and I can make some solid plans!

Thank you in advance!

DD x

747girl
22nd Jul 2008, 15:32
Desperately seeking some knowledge...any!! Could anyone please tell me what to expect at the 'Assessment Day' for Qantas UK. being held at hotel near Hatton Cross, London.Is there a test given for knowledge on Qantas and what are the group interviews like. Any information would be fantastic... Lots of thanks.. 747girl.

ozskipper
22nd Jul 2008, 21:57
If you do a search you'll find loads of information including salary, patterns, conditions etc.

monkeybusiness2
23rd Jul 2008, 06:47
747girl I see this is the first time you have posted so would probably hazard a guess that you are new to the forum?

If you don't know how to use the search facility let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

747girl
24th Jul 2008, 13:24
Thanks Ozskipper, but not sure where to get information... no doubt I'll work it out.By the way... sorry about my 747girl name, dont know what I was thinking of.. plan to change it real soon.

747girl
24th Jul 2008, 13:27
Thanks monkeybusiness, yes! You are so right... not good at this at all... a couple of pointers would be usefull to finding information??

digiteyes
27th Jul 2008, 12:20
747girl,

Yes, there will be questions relating to your knowledge of the company.

The more you research and memorize about the company, it's history, it's operations and it's people, the better prepared you will be.

Paris_flyer
29th Jul 2008, 15:35
When is the next recruitment drive for UK cabin crew for Qantas? I heard they were supposed to be hosting Welcome Aboard days in September? Is this true?

chellywell
31st Jul 2008, 13:06
They are recruiting at the moment, so go for it. I was at a WA day yeterday, but messed up the role play, (I'm not an actress unfortunately!) so didn't make it through to the afternoon. They did say that they would have WA days in Aug, but I don't know about Sept. Good Luck though! It's also an expensive day if you live far from LHR!

Good Luck to all of those that got through yesterday, let me know how it goes. Also, Happy Birthday for Friday to one person that was there!

Becky84
6th Aug 2008, 08:36
Hi,
There are some Welcome aboard days in Sep, but I think they are probably all filled now as I had a call a couple of weeks ago after they filled all the slots for July. Have you completed the online application form? You will need to do this first to get invited. :)

emiratescrewfanatic
9th Aug 2008, 20:36
Hi

I was just comparing Emirates with Qantas and I was wondering how much paid leave Qantas gives its UK CC?

Also, the discounts with Qantas, does that include Qantas Holidays?
Does anyone know how long do you have to have been in service in order to claim these discounts?

In general, how long does the whole recruitment process take?

Thanks
ECF