View Full Version : EMIRATES - Wannabees & Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 08:50
EMIRATES thread for those with questions about the recruitment process

Aiskilus
9th Jan 2007, 18:26
Hi,

I just want to know more about what type of person would fit to Emirates as cabin crew even if I don't have experience working as a one...

Thanks!

Aiskilus:)

Where the sun is...
9th Jan 2007, 22:58
Anybody... Really...;)

umzy
9th Jan 2007, 23:35
Anybody... Really...;)

Absolutely right...!!! It can b U or me , or none or both of us :ok:..
just limit ur question... in what limits you are asking?

EKwannabe
10th Jan 2007, 04:42
According to me, Emirates look for youthful, energetic, easygoing yet mature crew.
you never know if you fit until you apply, the good thing is that Emirates know exactly what they are looking for, if you fit, youre in.
cheers.

TakemeHigher
10th Jan 2007, 07:31
How to apply for a cabin crew position based in Dubai with Emirates?

RIGAstinDUBAI
10th Jan 2007, 14:39
Is anyone kind enough to inform us when is the next Emirates Open Day in Brisbane?

Thanks

Where the sun is...
10th Jan 2007, 14:58
log on www.emiratesgroupcareers.com (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com) ou www.ekgroup.com (http://www.ekgroup.com) (same same)
open day in Perth on the 20th
Good luck!;)

waves-dubai
10th Jan 2007, 15:32
I was on a recent flight from DXB to JFK and judging from my observation, I fully disagree that any and anyone can do this job!. Firstly you will require patience doing these flights as I saw where during boarding the crew were greatly stressed from demands by the pasengers and we were still on the ground.
Secondly being a multi-national crew there needs to be utmost understanding on the behaviour and attitude of the crew as often times there were pronounced conflict amongst crew members.
Effective communication is vital when information is being passed regarding passenger information. I remember having to wait 30 minutes for a form and had to ask a second time before it was delivered.
I strong believe that the company is growing way to fast for it to really enhance their service. The ICE is excellent and the food is superb and I must say I had excellent service from crew in my section.
Thats just my opinion.

RIGAstinDUBAI
10th Jan 2007, 15:45
See U there!

RIGAstinDUBAI
10th Jan 2007, 17:15
We are always keen to broaden our skills and knowledge through professional development and Emirates Aviation College is able to provide this for cabin crew.

Aiskilus
10th Jan 2007, 19:00
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the rejoinder! I do believe that anyone who is flexible enough to do the job definitely gets more chances of being hired but of course, those 'anyones' have to be 'culturally fit' for the company... I don't have any hint of what their company culture, vision and mission would be... although I've read their company overview from the website, I would still like to know these essential information because this will give everyone the chance to be aligned with their standards... thus bigger chances of closing a sale! do you guys agree with me? :ok:

▲i$kilÜs

Where the sun is...
10th Jan 2007, 21:09
Hi Asikius!
What do you mean by culturally fit???:confused:
Emirates' got more than 110 different nationalities among the cabin crew!
It is your personality and what you can bring from your culture which will make the difference.
R u sure u red their website?
The main hint is 'treat people the same way u'd like to be treated'
Anyone can apply! Isn't it great?:E
The real question is can you fit in the aisle?;)

IRISHEMIRATE
10th Jan 2007, 22:14
Hi Guys,

I just have a question I need to ask. Im currently planning on attending an open day at the end of the month. The only thing is Im still at univeristy and wont be finishing until the end of May. Do you think I should still go for the open day and hopefully if I make it through I can just put them off to May or shoud I wait a while before going for it. I know that if you dont make it at the interview you have to wait another year to apply and i dont want to get that long to re apply .

Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

EKwannabe
11th Jan 2007, 03:00
[quote=IRISHEMIRATE;3061693]Hi Guys,

The only thing is Im still at univeristy and wont be finishing until the end of May. Do you think I should still go for the open day and hopefully if I make it through I can just put them off to May or shoud I wait a while before going for it.

hey irishemate,
I am still employed at a company, but got recruited by Emirates this week, they are more than hapy to wait for you if you've made it, provided that you join within six months of your application.
the process itself could take you about two to three months.
So good luck at Uni, and at the open day!
go for it!

IRISHEMIRATE
11th Jan 2007, 09:32
Hi, EKwannabe.,

thanks for the advice, Hopefully it all goes well and I could be in Dubai by the summer, Im excited just thinking about it.....:)

abdomen
11th Jan 2007, 15:04
Hi!
I saw somewhere at the emirates website (canīt find it now!) , that if u r selected once you get 2 Dubai an HIV test will be taken, if the results means that someone is HIV+, will be reported inmediatly to his country. Is that true?!?!?! :eek:

Where the sun is...
11th Jan 2007, 18:58
Yes it is absolutly true!

abdomen
11th Jan 2007, 21:46
In Europe and the US thatīs totally illegal!!!!
:eek:

Samara
12th Jan 2007, 01:04
Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. I will be turning 40 soon. I spoke to a friend of a friend of a friend who recently atttended an open day in London who posed the question to the Emirates recruiters. He said that their response was that they had no upper end age restriction, only a lower one being minimum age of 20. However, he said that the friend who was 38 didn't get invited to the next day of interviews after the information day.

I'm pretty sure that I read on this site somewhere that someone's wife was going to apply and she was in her 40's and whether Emirates crew thought she had a chance. I might be getting confused though, not sure if she was intending to apply to Emirates.

Perhaps the recruiters just say that they don't have an upper age limit for discrimination reasons but are told not to accept anyone over the age of 35.

I guess you're right though, you don't know unless you try. I just think that if it is the case, I wish they would put it in print like other airlines do, especially those in the middle east who do advertise an upper age limit. That way you would know if you were wasting your time and theirs or not.

Either way, if you hear of anything for sure, I'd be most grateful for any more info.

Thanks again.

Aiskilus
12th Jan 2007, 17:51
Hi Where the sun is...

thanks for the reply... hahaha, yes I fit in the isle...:O As regards to 'culturally fit'.. What I meant about that is the 'qualities or attitude' they look for a potential employee. ;)

▲!§kiLÜz

fly_guy100
13th Jan 2007, 09:00
Is there a one year ban if you fly for Etihad as a cabin crew and you want to apply with Emirates? I know there's a ban with Qatar, how about with EY and EK?

cabincat
14th Jan 2007, 02:45
In answer to your question fly_guy100 no there is not a ban.
I used to fly for Etihad and joined Emirates no problem.
It is a government company here in the UAE, they dont ban people.
PM me for more details.

EKwannabe
14th Jan 2007, 04:42
This is per month, and there is a process that stars with you applying online, then if selected, invited to an assessment day, then checked for height, put in group situations to see how you interact with people, then an english test to see your proficiency in the language, a psycometric test, and then a final interview, and then your medicals which include blood, urine and eyes being checked, you also need to get a police clearance report from your country of residence.

and then youre in!

EKwannabe
14th Jan 2007, 06:51
YEs, I think EMirates plan to recruit for quite some time now, as they are expecting a large order of aircraft, and they constantly are expanding, and crew do leave etc...
I am not flying yet, but have been recruited by Emirates, and will start training in two months.
i come from a leadership and management background, and that was the exact question i asked the recruiters, whether can i get into recruiting and management, etc..
they are more than supportive, and when you actually fly, your leadership qualities become apparent to the SFS etc..and then you move up..i would say maybe 5 years?

Letsfly
14th Jan 2007, 08:02
After about 1 year you get the chance to upgrade to business class.

Who they select depends on how many sick days/ absent days you have etc..eg if you are actually sick that is ok. It works on a point system so if you are calling in sick on weekends and certain trips all the time you will have really high points and prob won't get your upgrade for a while. Some crew have been in economy for 2-4 years. If you get an absent day it means that you have not called in sick and that you are just not turning up for you flight.

After business for a while prob about 2 years you can then go to first class or apply for fast track to SFS which means that if you are good you can only work the minimum of 3 months in First then go to SFS.

You can be SFS after 3 years and prop Purser by 5 years.

After 1 year with the company you can apply for other dept based in different companies.

Letsfly
14th Jan 2007, 13:02
I am ex Qantas crew. I know of a few other qantas crew maybe 5.

OzyOS
14th Jan 2007, 20:06
X-Qantas crew myself also :) I really enjoyed my years with Q and although havent been working for EK long, i am also enjoying it here to. Progression is known to be fast here, but I thought it was also a decent progression rate at Q aswell. As long as you love the job, the years seem to fly by (pardon the pun :\ ) Its a great career!

Cheers :p

Virginia
14th Jan 2007, 21:17
Is it true that onboard you can't sit and read a magazine in the galley? Are EK really strict? I thought about applying but don't think I can cope with super strictness!

OzyOS
15th Jan 2007, 19:13
Hi there Jo85, unfortunately unless someone here on this webiste works for upper management in recruitment, I dont think anyone can help you with your question, because we dont have statistics to view regarding the ratio of ex-cabin crew to new joiners.

If you are really worrying about this fact, then stop :p because even though some of us are ex-flyers, we all had to begin somewhere and were once new joiners to this industry ourselves worrying about the same thing as you are.

Emirates are going to assess you more on how you present yourself(physically and mentally) at the interviews rather than previous flying experience.

There are also so many other skills taken into consideration for this position rather than just being an ex-flyer! For example....Previous nursing experience, customer service experience, language speakers etc, etc, etc.

I never got any free ticket because I had previous Cabin Crew experience, it was just as nail bitting for me as it was for everyone else in the interviews I attended. Im sure my past experience was factored in their decision somewhere down the line, but if I had of walked into the interview with an attitude that didnt fit and had not prepared for the interviews (and I worked hard studying information on the company, possible interview Q's etc) i certainly wouldnt be in dubai today typing out this response. (to make you feel a bit better, there were some ex-flyers at my interviews that weren't recruited)

So never mind about past flying experience, if you have it great, if you dont great again because each individual can bring something different to the role and its up to you to decide what colours you want to show your interviewers on the day....goodluck :ok:

hazzelika
16th Jan 2007, 03:03
Hello everyone,

I have read so many success stories in this forum and I am wondering if anybody can share me any information about Emirates 2nd interview.I will share you mine too. ;) I'm a female and I heard that you have to wear lots of make up. Is this true?:sad:

And my second question is how do you guys keep yourself calm and composed during the interview?? I tried everything but wanting the job badly makes me very anxious and i don't want to make a fool out of myself.

To those who are going for the interview GOOD LUCK! And to those who already got the job, CONGRATES!!!:D

Regards,
hazzelika

ands
16th Jan 2007, 05:54
Hi everyone.

I just went to the EK Careers website and noticed they have an Open Day coming up near to where I live. I already have an 'active' application with Emirates.

I clicked on the relevant Open Day's location, and then clicked on the 'register' option. Basically, this recalled my whole application, which i resubmitted. However, i didn't receive any confirmation that i had actually registered for the day.

Have i somehow got the whole thing wrong?

OzyOS
16th Jan 2007, 12:32
Hi there ands, the very same thing happened to me when I registered for the open day, I was under the assumption that we would recieve some sort of confirmation but didnt. Thinking back however, after I filled in the online application form, I remember taking note of an 'application no#' or something as such. This number they will ask if you have with you at the interview and to place it on the forms they ask you to fill out.

If you dont have your application no# with you, then its nothing to be concerned about, it just makes it easier for them here in Dubai to access you online application when it comes to viewing your resume details.

Huge tip!! Bring a FULL copy of your resume with you on the day, as they will ask for you to hand it in to them, and will keep the entire lot to take to Dubai for final decision if you make it through the interview stages. Put any information that you believe will help secure a position for you here at EK. Because at the end of the day, the thousands of people they interview and see...you want something in your resume that can make you stand out from the rest. The final decision is done here, from how you look on paper and your picture and you cant be here to defend yourself.

I included all my certificates, diploma's, letters of thanks from customers I had looked after in the past, letters from management offering thanks for my help etc, etc, etc. I loved that fact that EK happily took all of this with them, its rare as most airlines just want work history and education.....which is great, but doesnt actually show how others percieve you to work with......so any letters of recommendation/thanks include them!! And I might just be seeing you here in the near future ;)

Just one more thing in general to all. I keep reading about people worrying if their make-up wont be perfect, of their dress wont be perfect etc, etc, etc. Its great that you are all so very keen for this position, but seriously guys, your are putting too much emphasis on the wrong things.

I never wear foundation, my make-up is always very light and neutral (except for the red or brown lipstick, which i would definitely recommend to wear at the interviews) and my dress for the interview was very smart but basic, black suit with white shirt and red neck scarf. Hair was tied back neatly off the face in a simple ponytail with a red ribbon around it (no fly-away-bits). They are not looking for supermodels, nor are they looking for perfection as there are plenty of girls and guys working here at the moment that still have pimples and faults....we are all only human.

Wear a SMILE and keep your dress fresh and neat, but most importantly professional and focus more on how you are going to answer those lovely interview questions that we all dread!!! Practice talking in groups and be aware if you are too pushy in getting your point across, or dont talk enough etc. They are looking for balanced individuals that are team players ;)

Cheers:p
p.s I stay calm by shifting my focus when I am under pressure. If I think to myself "Oh my gosh!!! I am at the Emirates interviews.....If I dont get this I dont know what i will do...I want it soooo bad!" I would completely stress myself out and lose it!! So i choose to think "Ok, Im here, just another day, that will be over very quickly, I have prepared as much as I possibly can, If I dont get it, no big deal, wasnt meant to be for now, but I know i have done the best I could and I can always re-apply"....takes that horrible pressure off instantly :)

Casablanca85
16th Jan 2007, 17:21
Hi All EK-Wannabees:-)
First of all, you donīt need to have an invitation for attending an openday, but EK uses to send some to applicants they want to get to know about! Well i received an invitation for the open day in francfort, germany!I made it through all stages!You donīt need to have any previous aviation experience, but you should have had some customers skills so that you can make a good impression of yourself when asking during the interview! All EK-Recruiters I got to know are very nice and very helpful! OpenDays are very hard but if you read all the time "Congratulations, you have made it to the next stage" the more you are proud of yourself! My tip for everybody going to an openday, just stay as you are, stay polite, listen carefully and don`t be always the leader. For those who are not native English-speaker as me. make sure your English skills are excellent! If you make it through all stages you are also supposed to do a psychometric test! More than 100 questions about your personality! This will be checked by their psychologists and after that you get the confirmation of beeing succesfull or not! In my opinion they really know at the beginning the persons they want, it begins from handing over your CVīs until the last time you say "bye bye"! At my openDay we were about 100people and at the end only 9! I wish you all good luck...see ya all in Dubai:-)

IRISHEMIRATE
16th Jan 2007, 18:06
Hi Casablanca85,

thanks for the advice about the open day, Ive got mine on saturday week and starting to get a bit nervous about it casue I really want the job.

Good luck to anyone else headin to an open or assessment day soon.

Umzy have u had ur assessment day yet, hope it went well

umzy
16th Jan 2007, 19:08
Hi Casablanca85,

Umzy have u had ur assessment day yet, hope it went well

Hey ,
Nops, I still havnt got invitation for the Assesment day. Infact what Happened was, i submitted for the one GAD which was in Manchester (Today) and did't get the invitation thn, now I changed my location to London (2 GADs 23rd Jan, and 20th Feb) and hoping for the best. Open Day at New Castle is on 3rd Feb .. So, kinda confused what should I do :( ..??

Are you going for the open day in Glasgow?

Cheers

IRISHEMIRATE
16th Jan 2007, 19:15
Hi,

Yea im going to the open day in glasgow next week, maybe u should try and go to the open day in newcastle and that way u will get to meet the recruiters. the open day might give u the chance to get started beucase it will turn into an assessment day,

so gd luck and let me know how u get on.

rockerlpz
16th Jan 2007, 21:20
Hi, I live in South America, and Iīd really to go an Emirates interview, I heard a rumor that MAYBE there was going to be an interview in Argentina in february, but I entered the Emirates website and I didnīt see Arg. in the list of the countries that will be visited by them... , does anyone know if the Argentina interviews session will actually take place in february?, Iīll be looking forward for your answers

THANK YOU

ands
16th Jan 2007, 21:56
OzyOS

Phew! Thanks a lot OzyOS. I too presumed that because there was a 'register' option and the website says something along the lines of "limited places...book early" that I would get some form of receipt. Guess i'll just show up on the day!

I really appreciate your advice about what to take to the Open Day. However, if you don't mind, I have another set of questions.

I have customer service experience, but typically a lot of my customers are regulars, and therefore my 'thanks' take the form of verbal comments and things like lotto scratchies. However, as a part of my uni degree i had practical experiences and therefore have 'reports' that have been filled in by 'professionals' i worked with. The reports cover stuff that isn't specifically related to customer service, but there are comments about my generic abilities (such as communication skills, teamwork, etc.). Almost like an extended written reference. Would these be worth taking along, do you think?

With the photos...do these have to be a particular size? Would you recommend having the full-length and headshot photos on separate pages?

Thanks again!

ands
16th Jan 2007, 22:05
hazzelika

Not that I am speaking from that many interview experiences, but I echo OzyOS's advice about keeping calm.

I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but "it's all about options". I think that if you sat down and thought, "If i don't get offered a position with Emirates, what else is there that I would like to try until I decided to re-apply", you'd end up with a huge list of things. So, perhaps thinking about all of your options prior to going to the interview/s may help you put things into perspective.

Good luck!

EKwannabe
17th Jan 2007, 02:56
Hey guys..
good luck to all those who are going to attend assesment and open days with EK.
i agree with OzyOs, keep calm, keep smiling...assume your every move is being watched, when youre waiting in the foyer, talk to the people around you, there are hundreds of positions, so dont get competetive with people.
make sure you think before you speak, its youre delivery that is most important. sometimes, you might get a big loud mouth who just wont shut up, or a cow who comes up with the most absurd suggestions!(its true!) dont roll your eyes, or interrupt, just agree, "what a great idea, Thank you, but do you think...?etc"
DO NOT TAKE A SMOKE BREAK at any point during the day! even if youre gagging for it!
and smile always! i think the recruiters already make up most of their minds when they first talk to you for about a minute or two, so smile, try to keep it calm and casual...when they ask you a question, dont narrrate an epic, and if you have a sense of humor try to use it wisely, especially in a group discussion, you really dont want to sound brattish ..
this helps?

EKwannabe
17th Jan 2007, 02:58
Hi, I live in South America, and Iīd really to go an Emirates interview, I heard a rumor that MAYBE there was going to be an interview in Argentina in february, but I entered the Emirates website and I didnīt see Arg. in the list of the countries that will be visited by them... , does anyone know if the Argentina interviews session will actually take place in february?, Iīll be looking forward for your answers

THANK YOU

hi rocker,
i was interviewed in dubai, and i remember a guy from argentina being there, i think he was cc with aerogal? if you can make a trip, try to tell them that youre happy to attend an interview in dubai..dont wait for EK to come to SA.

OzyOS
17th Jan 2007, 06:04
Hey there ands, the reports that you had written about you sound great! The fact that they also touch on teamwork etc even better :ok:. It just gives them a different edge about you....cover all angles I say, because those last few days/weeks waiting to hear from EK can be intense (feels like your on a thread, and although you want the phone to ring, you dont as well just incase there is bad news on the end :\ )and you will take comfort that you were assessed on every aspect that you presented to them.....from what I can read you have the right attitude and I think you will do just fine ;)

Regarding photo's, I took one standard head shot and one standard full length shot with me (in business attire). I took these at home against a blank white wall, and they were fine as EK never asked for any other pictures (except the smaller ones done which was after I had landed the job to bring with me to Dubai) I know a lot of people go to such expense to have these pictures done professionally and if you have that type of money then great, but its definitely not going to dictate whether you get the job or not if the pictures were done by a professional or by yourself.

As long as the pictures are clear/good resolution, its fine. Anyway, EK will let you know if the ones you submitted aren't exactly what they need (again doesnt mean you wont get the job....sorry to keep repeating myself, but you would be suprised how many people believe that they didnt get the job because their pictures wern't good enough for EK, which is a complete myth)

Oh yeah, nearly forgot! Also take with you a few photo's that are of you in your 'natural surroundings'. By this I mean, not business attire, but when you were on holiday, doing a sport you love, enjoying any activity. Its a new thing EK are doing (to see what you are like outside of work activities.....to actually see your personality more) These pictures still need to be acceptable, by which i mean, not in swimmers, no alcohol in picture, still covered up in all the right places (as this is still a muslim country) so if you have time to prepare these, excellent, if not then if you get through the process they will probably contact you when they are sorting through your details over here and ask you to email some through......but if you can prepare them earlier, you come across very organised :ok:

I also gave them (with my resume on the first day) the copies of my passport etc, which when it came to my final one on one interview, they made a comment of thanking me for being organised.....every little bit counts ;)

Ok, (I apologise for having written so much) but If I can throw out as much information as i know, then hopefully it will see all of you here sooner than later!!

If you need anything else, ask away and I will do my best to answer!

ands
17th Jan 2007, 08:11
OzyOS

Thanks again for putting all of the effort into writing such a detailed response and including really relevant information.

I'll take along the pictures I submitted with my online application. I'm glad to hear they don't have to be taken by a professional, because I just borrowed a really good digital camera and its owner (who luckily was willing to take numerous photos so I could select the ones that looked the best) and found a white wall in my house. I figured that if Emirates interviewed me and wanted something else they would let me know, and then I would go out and spend the money to have them taken professionally. But i think the person who took my photos should consider a career in studio photography, because I thought they turned out really well.

And also, thanks for the information regarding the other photos. I'll have to start hitting my friends up and rummaging through my family's albums. I actually quite like the idea of these photos. I mean, anyone can smile and look friendly and professional in a studio, but i think 'normal' photographs would really give an insight into what someone is 'really' like.

Another wave of questions (sorry, they keep on coming to me intermittently)...

Would it be easier to have all of the documents (copies of passport, degree, photos, etc) in some form of folder (or plastic sleave), or would this be annoying for the interviewers? I think a folder would appear a little more polite and organised (rather than handing over a whole pile of papers), but then i don't want to disrupt any existing systems they may have (eg photos on top, CV underneath, ...).

Also, (bearing in mind this is my first ever 'proper' interview) is it acceptable to bring a bag. I'm thinking along the lines of a shoulder bag rather than a hand bag (being male) or a backpack (not wanting to look like a student)? I will likely have to catch the train to the interview and it would just be easier having everything 'contained'.

EKwannabe
17th Jan 2007, 08:27
Hi Ands,
A holiday picture probably would be best for your casual picture, and preferably something youre alone in. (not in a bunch of lads hanging out etc)
Try to carry just a smart folder that has all your documents, a backpack wouldnt match your business attire.
They wont take your folder, just the documents.
try to take references if you can.

Casablanca85
17th Jan 2007, 17:48
For those who are going to an open day and who are thinking that they will make it through!!! I wish you the best! It would be very good if you could take all the necessary documents along with you to the interview, because than they will contact you earlier with the results! What you need are 2 reference letters, 4 passport-sized photographs (if you are succesfull you have to submit 20 more in sky-blue), 1 full-length photo, which should be in focus with a smiling, and as it is also said a casual full-lenght photograph! It is of course new that EK requires this one! I can encourage you: Everybody who is from his national way nice and helpful will make it through! I am very sure about it! You have to show them that you are exactly the person they are looking for! If you are ready to travel I would also recommend to attend an openday in a city where you might think that not so many people will come - this will make your chances better for you! Do not prefer capitals like London or paris, there you will find soooo many people and it is difficult for you! i was in francfort and the room was full enough:-)
Please also note that they select you when you first talk to them when handing over your CV! I saw it!!!!!!!!! they write notes "recommended, and not recommended" believe me!!!You have to do lost of group activities and an English-test, and at the end you have to fill a form for the UAe Entry, and a special Cabin Crew Application Form, and as said before a nice psycho-test! Those who need help - i will give my best to help you joining "us":-))))))
The best regards to you!

OzyOS
17th Jan 2007, 18:12
Hey again ands!

No worries about asking questions, this is what this website is here for :)

Pretty much what EKwannabe said is true, i would have to say no to the backpack aswell (bless your heart) but if you could get your hands on one of those document folders that buisness men carry with them, that would be perfect for storing your documentation whilst keeping a professional image. (or any document folder, in black preferably)

Im pretty sure they will want 2 casual pictures (one in full length as well) Holiday is great for one, but I would try and mix it up a little to show another sides of yourself. And again what EKwannabe said, try and make sure the pictures are on your own, or with one other at the most. Both of my pic's contained another person, and these were fine...just make sure to outline (write on the back) which one is you ;)

oki doki, time to hit the sack, just out of curiosity, when is your interview ands? You will have to make sure you let us know how you go (which I am sure will be fine, EK are always desperate for male Cabin Crew, and its an actual crewing requirment that atleast one male is onboard every flight that takes off! So the ball is already in your court :p)

Cheers :ok:

ands
18th Jan 2007, 00:44
EKwannabe, Casablanca85 and OzyOS

Thank you so much for all of your advice and help. So many details that I (and I am guessing most other applicants) would not have considered. So again, thanks for the insights.

The Open Day is in mid-February (in SYD). Definitely plenty of time to prepare. And of course i'll let you know how I go; it's the least I could do after all your help!

I am definitely wary of giving a professional rather than student image. Considering i've just finished uni, i don't want to give the impression that i'm only applying for a position as cabin crew because i "couldn't think of anything else to do" or thought it would be "something different for a year". Hopefully my stable employment history and the fact that I am not seeking work in the field that i studied (both of which i can prove) will communicate my commitment.

OzyOS
You mentioned about the application number that you can write on your forms on the Open Day. Is this the same as the reference number that you use to recall your application?

Also, with the reports (from uni) that i mentioned, would it be worthwhile highlighting the sections i feel are relevant (eg those dealing with communication, teamwork, etc) to save the recruiters the time of reading through the rest of the report? I don't want to seem presumptuous or communicate the message that "I know exactly what you are looking for!"

Thanks also for debunking a lot of the myths that people create about EK's recruitment. The amount of times i have read on these forums that "A friend's sister who knows someone whose Aunty lives next door to a person whose daughter works for EK told me that EK are only hiring left-handed females with light brown hair that were born in the UK during the month of September". The more you read the more you start to think, "well maybe they are only recruiting...".

I am presuming that those of you who provided all of the advice are either current/training/wannabe EK crew. So i'll cover all the basis here by whishing you good flights/good marks/good luck!

hazzelika
18th Jan 2007, 06:34
Hi OzyOs,

Thanks a lot for the tips. I am glad that I do not have to worry too much about the make-up. I realised that Emirates Interview procedure is different from one country to another . In Malaysia, the interviewer is a Singaporean ( a represantative for Emirates for the first round).Actually in the briefing I attended, he said that most of us there wear very minimal make-up and not even one of us have the make-up standard of EK. I was shocked and I really didn't think it should matter.

Hey Ands,

Thanks for showing me how to keep calm. I guess.. when you want something so badly you can end up screwing things up. I decided to make other plans if I don't get EK and not to think too much about it.

To the rest , here are some notes on the Criterea they are looking for:

-Attitude and spoken English.
-Grooming ( clean and tidy).
-Listening Skills.
-Diplomacy.

ALL THE BEST!:O

hazzelika

Sta_Power
18th Jan 2007, 07:39
Hello everyone!

Its been a while since i last posted anything on this forum. Let me start off by wishing luck to all those who have GAD's & OD's coming up! Be calm & be smart! :ok:

Reading this forum really helped calm my nerves & prepared me for the activities that one can expect on the assessment day (mine was on the 16th of Jan, btw).

In my experience, the entire day was more of a learning experience rather than anything else. I met some lovely girls who genuinly had the skills to get along with others (a people's person so to speak) and then some not so genuine people (who actually just faked being nice because the interviewers were watching them!).

And the surprising part is that 99% of the 'not-so-genuine' people are the one who actually got though to the final interview. So i guess that EK must be changing the requirements of who to hire. :confused:

Also, please dont be too bothered about your make up or shoes, just make sure:

1. you are neat & clean (50% of the final applicants werent even dressed in normal business attire)
2. SMILE but dont over do it.
3. make sure you add to a discussion and BE HEARD(dont be pushy, big difference between the two!!). I know this goes against whatever was said before in this forum, but this was my observation!

Lastly, very important, the interviewer will make up her mind about you in the first 5-8 seconds she sees you so thats basically your chance to impress her, should she not be impressed, no matter what you say after that it doesnt matter! Remember EK received 18,000 applications for CC every month (thats alot compared to other airlines)

Just in case you are wondering, we were 126 applicant that were invited for the GAD, only 6 were selected. I felt really bad for some of them who should have really gotten a chance to fly because those are the kind of people most of us would like to be with on a 16 hour flight at 30,000 feet!People who are professional, friendly and have a genuine interest in helping others!! oh well c'est la vie... life is life! :)

I didnt mean to be a damp towel & sound bitter but I want everyone going for the interview to be ready and PLEASE remember that if you dont get in now, its not the end of the world! Keep the faith....
:ok:

OzyOS
18th Jan 2007, 08:24
Hi ya ands!

You had me in stitches regarding the whole "A friend's sister who knows someone whose Aunty ......" thing, nice one :ok:

Regarding your Q, yes the application No# is infact the reference No# you are talking about.

The interviews vary slightly from country to country, but i can give you an insight on what mine entailed, last year.

I turned up for the 'Open day' (affectionatly known as the "Cattle call") and was ushered into a large reception room. Big tip here is to make sure you are there early, as there are usually heaps of people that turn up and becasue you all cant fit into the reception room at once, you get split into 2 groups. so stay at the front to make sure you get into the first group that goes through. Otherwise you will be waiting around for half the day to go in, rather than finishing with half the day up your sleeve!

Once inside we were spoken to about living and working in dubai. They try here to paint as realisitc view as they can, because they dont want to mis-lead anyone on what the job will truely be like, as many have very misconstruded ideas about Cabin Crew.

After the discussion, they show you a video, to give you more of an insight to living in Dubai and working as CC for EK, but alas! Here is the link to the You Tube website so you can watch it earlier if you want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwKtl8yzoY its in 2 parts.....enjoy :ok:

Once the video is over, they try to answer as many Q's as they can, so its a good time to get noticed by asking a Q!

After the Question session, they then get you to fill out a form (when your reference No# will come in handy...make sure to have a pen on you) and then they will ask you to all hand in the copy of your resumes (when I handed in the copy with letters etc) You will only have a minute with the recruiter to hand in your resume, so if nothing else...keep smiling!

We were told that if through to the group interview the next day we would recieve a phone call that afternoon.Which thankfully I did :p

The group interviews were, i have to say, mentally exhausting by the end of it. If you manage to make it through the entire rounds, its a full day of being watched and evaluated (so make sure to have a full breakfast before you go to keep up stamina). The recruiters are lovely, and they try to make it as painless as they can for you, but at the end of the day, they have a job to do and a target to meet of being able to sort out who they want for the position.

If I remember correctly, I had about 3-4 group sessions in the day. The recruiters put you in groups and give you questions like 'who would you nominate for the nobel peace prize'? or 'Do you think information is too accessable on the internet'? (im sure the Q's will be different at your interview), but try to remeber that they are not looking for the person that can come up with the most correct or best answers. They are looking for people that work well within their group, encouraging each other and being respectful to each other, not too loud and pushy, yet not too quiet and shy....you do need to participate, but how you do so, is what will get you through to the next stage.

I had one guy, tell me that he "completely disagreed with my point of view" which is fine, but how he put that information across wasnt. He should have said something like " i understand what you are saying, but if i may suggest something a bit different......." this way he still would have been able to make his point, but in a respectful, non-conflicting manner......and suprise, suprise.....he didnt make it through to the next stage. (in my previous job I was cabin crew, inflight trainer and took part in recruitment as well)

After each round you will recieve a letter indicating whether you have progressed to the next stage....take a deep breath, say a prayer the open the piece of paper ;)

Once through all the stages successfully, we were told to pick an interview time that suited us most for our one on one. Mine was the following day, others were a few days after.

If you want more help regarding the type of interview Q's you could possibly be asked, feel free to PM me and I will happily put a few together for you to practise with, because th more prepared you are, the more words and information you have to draw on, the more confident you will be and less tongue tied when under pressure!.

I have to say, it is all worth it in the end. i am absolutely loving living here in Dubai and love flying for Emirates. They look after you from the moment you step off that plane!

My husband and i have been living abroad for over 3 years now and wouldnt have it any other way, its so much fun and interesting.(we are off to try sand dune boarding next week...hilarious!!)

To be realistic though, there are moments that you can experience where your emotions are up and down ( I call it the 'rollercoaster') because one minute you can love it and the next want to go home. This is completely natural, and my advise is to just ride it out.....it get sooooo much better and you eventually find your place ;)

Ok, enough rambling from me....signing out!

worldwaiting
18th Jan 2007, 09:47
Hi! I just have a question. I've applied to a local airline here in my country and didnt make it because they said my lower teeth are slightly misaligned. It's not obvious when I smile but they said good teeth was one of their requirements

I plan to apply for Emirates but would like to know if they are also strict about such things as well?

OzyOS
18th Jan 2007, 11:14
Hi there Worldwaiting :)

Just read your post and I have to say I was absolutely shocked with how this airline has treated you! And with that, i say your far better off not working with an airline that can be so unreasonable and judgemental....probably a blessing in disguise ;)

I would love to know what airline it is that you are talking about because its unusual that they gave you a reason for not employing you. Most airlines dont give reasons due to the fact that they 1- takes too much time explaining to each individual why they didnt make the cut and 2- being sued for discrimination reasons (I know other countries may be different regarding the 2nd point though)

I really do feel for you worldwaiting as they have taken a direct blow to your self esteem, which as far as Im concerned is unacceptable and highly unprofessional! But dont you let that stop you from doing what you want because of a few slightly mis-aligned lower teeth and one airlines ridiculous and narrow minded opinion.

Yes it is true that Emirates also have aesthetic requirements that they want you to adhere to, but if a few slightly mis-aligned lower teeth are your only concern, then you have nothing to worry about.

I have seen a number of girls/guys that dont have the absolute perfect set of chompers here. As long as they are clean, not too stained and give off a pleasant smile, thats all that is needed.

Hope I have helped you a bit and I wish you the best of luck :ok:

Jo85 Congratulations on your success! Now the real fun beings :D

Aiskilus
18th Jan 2007, 22:11
Hello everyone:)

Speaking of aesthetic requirements, I have some pimple/acne scars left on my face during my teen years... it's not really deep scars neither pit scars... my face is just not flawless like anybody else;) :O... but mine is clean (pimple free), though:O . I've seen cabin crews sufferring from breakout (both cheeks and forehead) in a local airline here in the Philippines and I would like to ask if Emirates is strict regarding this. Also, I'm a 25 year old lad, I'm kinda thinking if it's OK to wear a little make up (foundation, concealer). What do think guys? Hee Hee:O

-=▲!$KiLuZ=-

sue-pergirl
18th Jan 2007, 22:49
Hi all- I'm about to head over in Feb and have a few questions for those already there....

Do EK provide your work luggage as part of your uniform?

Are there existing internet conx in the accomodation? Is it ADSL?

What is the accomodation like? Is it one building dedicated to crew? Are there other facilities in the building like pool, gym, restaurant?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!! SO EXCITED NOW.....:)

ands
19th Jan 2007, 02:41
hazzelika

I'm glad that my advice made sense. You are always more than your job. I know that not being very satisfied in your job can really affect the way you feel generally, but you can often draw from other areas of your life. And if you don't get a position with EK, at least you can reapply. I am sure there are careers (and employers) out there that only give you one chance.

Aiskilus

I totally empathise with wanting to present the best possible 'image' on the day. However, being male myself, i wouldn't wear any type of make up. I imagine Emirates are one of the more conservative airlines when it comes to physical appearance, and i doubt that males would be allowed to wear make up.

Anyway, by the sounds of it, your scars aren't that bad. And, i bet that you are the only one that notices them. It's like when you notice that you have a stain on your t-shirt (of course, you only ever notice about 5 minutes after you've left the house), and you spend the whole day walking around thinking that everyone is looking at this huge stain. In actual fact, they probably haven't even noticed it.

I think it is best to turn up on the day and be you. You don't want to present an unblemished face (thanks to make up) only to be offered a job and having to apply make up for the rest of the time you work with EK just to make sure you meet the company's grooming standards.

It would be the same as someone who is usually a grumpy person presenting themself as really friendly on the day of the assessment. If such a person were to be offered a position based on this false image, they are going to be pretty miserable when they are expected to actually be friendly as a part of their job!

Jo85
Congratulations!

worldwaiting
19th Jan 2007, 02:42
Thanks so much for the kind and ecouraging reply, OzyOs. :)

I'm not comfortable posting the name of the airline here in the public forum, but you may PM me about if if you like. During the screening, each girl was individually called and assessed physcially.When it was my turn, they asked me a question or two, then asked me to smile for them. When I did smile they sort of pulled in closer to scrutinize my teeth etc. and then that's when they told me that they couldnt accept me because of that.

Anyhow, I was actually not offended and welcomed the remark as I prefer knowing what I did wrong so I can improve on it for applications to other airlines, such as Emirates, for example.

The girl who went before me passed the smile test but when they asked her to remove her stockings, they remarked that she had varicose veins.

OzyOS
19th Jan 2007, 10:35
Hi Worldwaiting, keep us update on your progress regarding your EK application. With the girl who had varicose veins, I can kind of see where the airline could be coming from with those as they can be dangerous when flying as you are in a higher risk catergory for DVT (deep vein thrombosis), so I think with Varicose veins, she might have a problem with every airline she tries to fly for....poor chicken.

Hi as well to sue-pergirl, to try and answer some Q's for you, EK supplies you with your entire uniform (including luggage)

Depending on where EK will place you for housing, I cant really say for sure that there will be existing internet connection available. Usually if your lucky enough to move in with someone who is already established here, then they might already have the internet connection available (wireless) for you to use and then you just go halves in the cost. They have all internet connection available here. I just had broadban wireless installed and it works fantastic in mine and my flatmates room. It can take some time to have it installed from when you arrive as you will need to take a copy of your residence visa, which unfortunately you wont get until you finish your ground school.

The accomodation is great (especially for the fact that its free!) my location is fantastic and i am very happy with it all.

You can be placed in an apartment with either one or 2 flatmates. The bedrooms are very spacious and you will all have your own bathrooms (being a girl.....absolute must for me!!!) Before you move here, they will ask you to fill out a housing questionare, this is to find out whether you smoke or not, have any pets, and make any special requests (within reason ofcourse). The accomodation is placed all over Dubai, but the most common residential building that they are filling at present is the millenium tower on sheikh Zayed Rd, and on this main road is where alot of the accomodation buildings are also placed.

The accomodation should also have a gym and pool facilities, but unfortunately cant promise state of the art facilities for all accomodation buildings. But not to worry as when you graduate, you will be given an airline membership card, that will give you great discounts on certain health clubs, bars, retaurants etc (the gym down the road from me is fantastic, with state of the art equipment and with the airline membership card, we get to use it for free!)

So there you have it, hope I have been able to help.

helfsich
20th Jan 2007, 05:15
Hey guys, hope you're all doing well. Just a few things I'd like to add...

With regards to internet connection, even though you may have to wait until you get your residence visa to get broadband installed, in the meantime if you have a landline phone (which EK provide anyway) you can use the Etisalat dial up. It's slow, but it does the job, and you only really use it for emails to family and friends when you're in training college.

Also, on the second day of interviews, and they ask you whether or not you're a smoker, PLEASE answer this correctly, and do not say that you're a non-smoker when you actually are in the hopes that it will increase your chances of getting the job. The recruiters don't take the habit into account when selecting crew, this question is purely used to find suitable housemates. I have been placed with 2 smokers because of this, which is very stressful seeing as though I'm asthmatic.

If you are placed into one of the older apartments, with 3 housemates, and you're assigned either a 'B' or 'C' bedroom, you'll probably share a bathroom. If it's just a 2 bedroom apartment then you have you're own bathroom, but size tends to vary greatly. This is only relavant to the buildings on Shiekh Zayed Rd and the Gahoud area though, in all the new buildings such as Government and Millenium Tower the crew have their own individual bathrooms/ensuites.

Worldwaiting - I can wholeheartedly assure you EK don't do the smile test and the vein check at recuitment. So long as you have a big bright and warming smile during the interview you'll make the recruiter's day.

lilrach
21st Jan 2007, 14:49
Hiya,

I have been invited to the assessment day in London on the 23rd Jan (this tuesday eeek!). I am really worried that i wont reach the 212cm mark! I am only 5"2! Does anyone know if they are really strict with this?

I know loads of people who work for Emirates at all different levels, and they have all encouraged me to apply despite my worries about my height, but I am starting to feel like I am wasting my time!! I dont want to go all the way to London to be told in the first 5 mins that i have to go home!:{

Is there any short cabin crew out there who made it????

Rach x x

SkySista
21st Jan 2007, 16:09
Rach, you can ease your worries now instead of at the recruitment day. Take a tape measure, mark 212cm from your floor, place a tape mark there, and then see if you can reach it.

(Shoes off, stand fairly close to the wall.) You can be on tip-toe, thn you will know right away without any waiting. As long as you can reach that mark you will be fine.(This is pretty much what they do at the open day too)

Good luck!!!

lilrach
21st Jan 2007, 16:17
Thanks for your advice SkySista.. i reach 210cm.. :mad: !!!!
I am wasting my time!! Gutted! I've already confirmed my attendance aswell as they accepted my online application form! I have actually met some small cabin crew in Dubai, one girl who was smaller than me, so I am wondering how she was accepted..she must have really long arms!
I think i might go down the park and hang off some monkey bars in an attempt to try and stretch my stumpy arms! Or i may apply extra long fake nails!

Man o Man!!

x x

umzy
21st Jan 2007, 18:16
Hey Hey lilarch ,
You got the opportunity, just give it a go. You had mentioned in ur application abt ur height, Didnt ya? They must have seen tht , and i think they will b OK as they have invited u ...

erm.. i'm not sure but i havnt heared of height measurment in a GAD (i kno they do check in Open days) ... Just give it a GO - All the best !

and One more thing, whn did you submitted application to Emirates website and whn did u get the invitation? thts would b really helpful for me ...

Cheers

lilrach
21st Jan 2007, 18:47
Hi Umzy,

Yeh i guess so, at least if they turn me away after the first stage I will get to spend the rest of the day in Londonia! I submitted my application around the end of December, and I was invited to the GAD about a week after my submission, which I thought was pretty quick!

Rach x x

sue-pergirl
21st Jan 2007, 21:46
Thanks for advice re accomodation all- it makes it a little less unfamiliar to have your feedback....

Next big Task- Packing!

I wondered if any of you had some advice along the lines of- "I really wish I brought....." and "I definitely wasted my suitcase space bringing...."

It is quite a task packing your life into a 50kg allowance and I thought the benefit of hindsight of those who are already in Dubai might help..?

thanks again for all your help/advice..:D

ps- to those unsure of whether to go to an open day or not- JUST DO IT! I bypassed 2 opportunities to go because I was doing the whole should I shouldn't I thing- and was so glad i finally did it...

*KNOWING IS BETTER THAN WONDERING*

Aiskilus
21st Jan 2007, 22:33
Hi Lilrach,

I have a friend who is as tall as you. They asked her to reach the 212 thing and she didn;t make it. But the thing is, she got it throught to the final interview. So in essence there are other things to consider. Go ahead girl and turn up to the assessment day! Good luck!

▲iskilus

EKHQ
22nd Jan 2007, 03:09
Worldwaiting, as long as your teeth look fine and comfortable when you smile, thats fine with Emirates. The recruiters would have noticed your skin and teeth instantly, only after you make it will they make sure you get a dentist to sign of a form for you, i had to get a whole load of fillings done..

Aislilus for your skin, clear healthy looking skin is preferable, although if makeup can cover it, you should be fine, though be careful with make up if youre a guy, use a teeny weeny bit of coverstick if you have to, guys wearing make up is a no no at EK.

Lilrach, your height sounds fine, go for it, and stop thinking about it. im not a very tall boy, especially when i was being recruited, i was next to guys who could touch the mark with their nose! just straighten your posture, stand as close to the wall, support your self on the wall, and stretch up with your favoured arm!

hope this helps?

lilrach
22nd Jan 2007, 08:05
Thanks everyone!

Yep I am definitely going to go now otherwise I will kick myself for not finding out!

Thanks for your encouragement, I had myself in a bit of a state yesterday! So glad I came across this site!

Guess I am going to read over "Yes, you can be cabin crew" now...its a good read, i reccommend it!

Thanks again x x x

Where the sun is...
22nd Jan 2007, 10:44
Hi Lilrach!
The requirement I have in my inflight manual is:
- minimum arm reach of 2.12m.
So with your shoes on (you are not bare feet in the cabin) I think you will be fine;)
Good luck!

Where the sun is...
22nd Jan 2007, 10:56
Hello Aisikilus!
It is not the best idea to wear make up, since you are a guy, for an ek interview (which by the way when are you having it???:E )
But there are guys in the company who wear make up... Quite discreet though;) and not to hide any bad skin condition...
You will be just fine! Just go for it!:ok:

Aiskilus
22nd Jan 2007, 17:28
Dear Everyone!:)

Thank yah so much for uplifting my spirit!

▲iskilus:O

Ju Ev
23rd Jan 2007, 04:24
Hi people! You have no idea how happy I was when I found this forum and this topics. I thank the owner a lot for creating it. Really, I could see that I was not the only one feeling nervous, anxious and a bit lost. :rolleyes: rsrs. When we find a job or a career that we really want, or even anything that we want it badly, it's difficult no to make 1000 plans and feel very nervous about it.
I have never been in an assessment day before, and before reading all this sweets and helpfuls posts, I was much worst rsrsrsr:bored: I appreciate your kindness, and support. In special, to the amazing people from Emirates who are here spending and dedicating some time to people like me. And of course, to the other candidates, who I imediately could see myself in, and had helped me clarify a lot of my questions. I make a promise here, that wether I get in or not, I'm going to write down all my process in order to help other people too.

I'm brazilian, and I have skipped the first interview! :p It was a lucky break occasioned by a very nice Lady from Emirates. I called the responsible for the process here, and asked here if I could go to São Paulo (last day of three) but she realized I was calling from another town. She said ok. Half an hour later, she called me ( I almost died, I thought I was out or something) She asked me for a CV, to see if I could go to the 2 stage straight- so than I wouldn't have to go twice there, and spend more $$$.) I sent her a CV, and at night, the letter for the 2 interview arrived!!!!!!!!! ( January 27th 8:30AM)

I was veeery happy, but twice as nervous too, since I wasn't expecting! She gave me some instructions about the next stage (since I havenīt attended the fist interview)- How to dress : here, it must be a suit but with a skirt and about the process at all.

I still don't know how could this happened, and with me. :O I imagine that it is because it was going to be the last day of three (only this month, because they had been here last month too) and they were tired of interviewing.

It's important to say that I'm really aware that this doesn't mean anything at all. It was just good, because nobody likes to face all this interviews and when you can skip one, it's great.

Besides that, I'm very anxious and nervous. Can you tell me something about the English test? I know that we have one hour to answer and it is made of multiple choice + writing. Is it hard? Do you still remember what your topic for the writing was?

What about the group work? Do they ask us questions about passengers problems? I saw at a site some questions and I freaked out! I'm afraid of answering wrong :{
eg:
Most of the scenario questions will put you in a situation on an airplane where a passenger has a problem. Here are a few of the more common scenario questions being asked at interviews

Question 1: A passenger in the coach cabin says he noticed that the passengers in the first-class cabin were given newspapers and he would like one too.
Question 2: A man is making a business call on the in-flight telephone. He complains to you that he can't hear because the baby next to him won't stop crying.

Another site wrote they might ask us something like this for the writing part:

- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Have you ever lost your temper?
- What is the best example of customer service that you have come across?
- What is the worst example of customer service that you have come across?

Another one, came up with bahavioral questions:

1. Give an example of a situation where you had to handle a disgruntled customer and the outcome.
2. Give an example of a situation where you were not being supported by your employer and how you handled it.
3. Give an example of a situation where you had to go the extra mile to please a customer.

Since I have never been into a recruitment before, I'm not 110% sure about what would I answer in there questions... :confused:

Thanks for your support, and sorry for writing sooooo much!!

OzyOS
23rd Jan 2007, 06:03
Hi Ju Ev and congratulations to your fast track into the next round :D

Ok, dont fret because you should not get asked questions regarding actual Aircraft incidents.

There are plenty of you who have never worked in the Aviation Industry before and to expect you to know how to handle any incident on an Aircraft, before you have been trained is unfair, as it only gives those who have had prior aviation experience an advantage and EK are smart enough not to do that ;)

I think that the website that shows the first 2 questions you have wrote would freak anybody out who hasnt flown before!! So dont worry about any difficult passenger questions.

The questions you have written after the first 2 are on the right track, about your strengths and weaknesses, handling a difficult customer etc. EK will try and tailor the questions around your experiences that you have had already in the work industry. They have their ways to get what they need out of you, to know if you are suitable or not for the position.

The best advice I can give to you is when practicing your answers, always make sure they have positive endings. When dealing with a difficult customer (for example) when you round off your answer, do so in a way that shows both the customer and company you were representing at the time had a satisfying outcome.

Best of luck Ju Ev, you seem to have the right attitude already, take some deep breaths before the interviews start, be natural and show then what you can do!! :ok:

EKHQ
23rd Jan 2007, 08:11
hi Ju Ev,
completely agree with OzyOs,
By the time you get to the final interview with Emirates, They already know whether or not you have any flying or customer service experience.
Although i find it a little odd that you did not get asked to to an english test or a psycometric test before the final interview.

I come from a complete non-service industry, so had all questions to do with my work scenarios, peers, subordinates etc...
The only thing i can say is, genuinely think about the things you have to say, dont lie or make up any of the answers, for instance if they ask, 'Have you ever gone out of your way to help someone?', i just replied that yes, once after a event one night, i helped a couple who couldnt get a taxi, get home by driving a little out of my way.
It was acceptable, because it was clearly not made up.
ALways listen to the question, you must have the ability to remain calm, smile and listen, think and answer..

Since i am a non-native english speaker (whatever!:-P) i had to do an english test, which really is a piece of cake if youve been to an english speaking school, can be difficult if you dont like writing. I enjoyed writing the Essay, infact may have gone overboard with it, because of all the time i had, i wrote a four page article with pros and cons about mistakes!

Ju Ev
23rd Jan 2007, 14:18
:) EKHQ and OzyOs, thanks a lot for your answers and support!:ok:

"Although i find it a little odd that you did not get asked to to an english test or a psycometric test before the final interview".

I think I haven't made myself clear. I just skipped the first contact with the company. There was a huge openday were they cut a lot of people with a first individual interview. This interview was in english. This day I didn't have to attend. Next saturday it's going to be the group work + english test + secong group work + psycometric test. After that, they are going to schedule another individual interview on a different day. Well, even though I teach english here, my writing isn't that good, because I don't write that often. I only correct people's writing and their writings are all basic levels. I have many certificates in metodology, but I have been teaching only basic levels for a while.

I'm not afraid of the grammar test, but of the writing, I have to confess that I'm a little worried. I have been practicing a little but I'm aware that I can't do much at this point, or it will make feel even more insecure! :ugh: rsrsr

sanchezcarlo
24th Jan 2007, 16:33
Hey Guys,
Can anybody from the EK cabin crew tell me somthing about Maria and Amelita-the HRD personnel who ALWAYS do the hiring in Manila, Philippines. Do these two also do the hiring of cabin crew in other parts of south east asia like Bangkok, KL and jakarta? :confused:
I heard a rumor that they only do the hiring for manila since the two of them are Filipina's.
Can anybody give me a heads up about the EK HRD personnel who do the hiring in Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Jakarta.
I'd really appreciate the info about what their Nationalities are.
WHO'S WHO?
Thanks
CS

umzy
24th Jan 2007, 21:22
hey guys...
just wondering anybody up for New Castle Open day on 3rd feb ?

Cheers,
Umzy

JTJ
25th Jan 2007, 06:08
Hi all EK PErsonnel (And Future One's Too) :)

Could someone please be so kind as to inform me of the policies pertaining to the use of eye glasses? Does EK prefer contacts? Also, is anyone willing to help out providing me with the CC handbook (aka Employment handbook) which outlines policies, and procedures? This usually given to you at the start of your time with a company. I really wanted to check and see if I would be suitable for the role. For me, I like to research a role I am interested in. I also understand completly if this is not possible. I appriciate any assistance you could give (don't get into trouble, though). := :)

Thank You People of EK :)

EKHQ
25th Jan 2007, 08:08
Hi JTJ,
I dont think any crew would give you the handbook, thats a breach of privacy and its a controlled document.

On the Eyesight requirements, glasses are not encouraged, and you need a letter from the clinic if you need to wear them on board. you need to have a corrected vision of 6/9 i think.
Coloured lens are not permitted. If you are comfortable wearing lens in a dry environment, you should be fine.

milz
26th Jan 2007, 09:02
Hi everyone, and thank you all for great information an help!!

Im going to the open day interview tomorrow and im a bit nervouse like evryone else and have a few questions to ask.

Anyone who knows how many people out of all that comes to the open day that emirates send an invitation to? Is there a bigger chance to pass the interview with an invitation?

Will there only be groupquestions, or questions to answer one by one? In that case, is it infront of the whole group or will they ask us in a separate room? Will the group get smaller during the day, or do they send everyone home at the same time? Until what time does the open day usually last?Will we have to present ourself infront of the group and tell everyone about ourselves?

If they after the informtation ask if we would like to answer some questions (i read someone say now it's good to be noticed) Any ideas about good questions to ask?

What time is good to be there? Everyone seems saying it's good to be earlie, but how earlie? Is 1 hr good, or maybe too much? What time does most people seem to arrive?

The pictures, how do i best hand them in? Is it a good idea to glue them on a paper, or do they want them as they are to be able to use them for something?

Is it enough to bring a cv with experience, or do you guys brishould i bring a letter aswell saying why i want to work for emirates and to tell them about myself?

How long does it take from the open day until you actually know that you got the job, if you pass all the tests? Will i have time to go traveling next week and stay away for about 2 weeks if i pass?

Do they do any kind of test on the open day except speaking that i have to be preperd for? When do they do the healthtest? Is it made by emirates doctors, or is it enough to go any hospital to fill in and fill in a form?

IRISHEMIRATE
27th Jan 2007, 13:33
Hi everyone,

Ive just been to an open in the UK and thought I would share my experience with you. I arrived before 9 am which was fine becasue they dont start talking to people until this time. We all sat down and they asked us to fill out two forms and give us some information about Emirates. They played videos about Emirates and while they did this everyone just chated and then went up one by one to speak with the 2 recruiters. One was called Kim and the other Michelle (both were Austrilian). They told us before we went all they wanted was our CV and a picture (they said it didnt even matter if u didnt have a picture because they could get them latter in your application-even know its says to bring them with you. I noticed that other people have mentioned about bringing letters of recommendations which i did but they told us that they didnt want this). when i went up i said good morning and asked how they were. One of the recruiters took and CV and made a comment about me working in a hotel and asked was it is the same one that the crew stay in during their layover from Dubai. I said yes and she then asked me what the room rates were for emirates employees because we have a contract with them and asked about discounts, I told her and she said thanks and said that was it, she never asked me anything about my application or applying to Emirates or anything to do with me. Then we had to wait about a hour while they went through all the applicants, there was only about 42 people. Then one of the recruiters left the room and the other played the video followed by questions. The other recruiters then returned with the cvs and asked us to pick up a letter with our number on it. I never made it through the first stage. I was sooo gutted firstly because I have put so much effort into my application in terms of my cv, photos, application form and the way I looked. Also I have loads of customer service experiecne and I am studying hospitality management at the moment. I felt like I never got a fair chance because she spent less than 1 min with me and never asked me any questions regarding myself. I was really annoyed with this because I had done some much research and read all the posts on this forum about smiling, standing up straight etc.

I noticed that some of the people that did get through were the ones that took smoke breaks. Also there was people with airline experience that didnt get through. All in all it was a disapointing experience and felt that the process was quite bad. It made me rethink the company and I dont think I would reapply.

If anyone has any other questions they want to ask about the first part of the open day please feel free to ask.

crewtobe
27th Jan 2007, 14:15
Never had I seen such a long queue in my entire life! There were atleast 700 applicants(majority girls) waiting in line to be screened for the 1st interview. The hotel was flooded with girls! Emirates hired some agency to conduct the session and it was quite chaotic. Two judges worked the entire day from 8 am - 8 pm eliminating people down from 700 to around 200. This is just the start, there's more eliminating to come until they squeeze down the number of applicants to atleast 100 but wonder how could they just judge on group discussion. Some ppl just non stop talk talk talk and some just sit quitely???? It's just like trying to get the judges attention but they have several group discussion at the same time and only TWO JUDGES checking on all the groups!!! Is this fair?? Why can't they just sent Emirates recruitment team from Dubai to conduct the interview process?? :ooh:

umzy
27th Jan 2007, 14:55
Hello IRISHEMIRATE ,
Aww, soory to hear tht you could't make through... No worries...EK is running no where, u can always apply after 6months as u kno ....:)

Yesh, i got QUESTIONS.....
1) errr.... Only 42 for Glasgow open day? and how many went through Group Stage ?
2) Just curious to kno, how was ur interaction with other candidates who were there for OPen day ?

Regards,
Umzy

IRISHEMIRATE
27th Jan 2007, 16:06
Flame Lily FX

In terms of mature people there was a few older people at the open day but I just know of one that didnt get it, not to sure about the others. There was also about 5 people who were under 21 and had to leave. Thanks for your message.

Umzy
Hey not to sure how many went through but quite a few people i spoke to after had got a no so i reckon they cut the group down in half but dont 100% about that. In terms of my interaction as soon as I arrived I spoke to all different people and said hello and introduced myself, you will find that everyone is really friendly and wants to talk to you. Also just for your information I take it you are going to the open day in Newcastle, if you are successful then they told us that the interview would be the next day or the day after. I know some people who had flown in just for the day, not sure whats happens if they make it any further.

Let me know how you get on and good luck. If u have any more questiosn that you think I may be able to answer then just ask.

Samara
28th Jan 2007, 00:33
Hi to all of those of you who are good enough to post replies to various questions and scenarios related to trying to get in as cabin crew with Emirates.

I posted a message a little while back with regard to upper age limits for consideration to entry into Emirates as cabin crew.

I noticed that there was no response. I am now even more curious, as I noticed that someone else has posted a similar message about any information pertaining to the upper age limit for cabin crew.

I noticed on the Emirates Cabin Crew website that they have a lower age limit, but there is no mention of an upper age limit.

My previous post was addressed to any employee of Emirates who may be able to shed light on the subject, as in, is it true that Emirates do not consider anyone over the age of 30 as potential cabin crew? To date, I have not received a reply to affirm or deny the rumour.

To anyone who currently is employed in any department of Emirates, would anyone be able to confirm the rumour that Emirates would not consider employing anyone over the age of 30 as cabin crew? After all, who says that someone who has an age of 35 plus, and may look a lot younger but is still as able to fulfill the job requirements, but due to age, is looked at as being unfavourable?

Are there any cabin crew who currently work as cabin crew at Emirates over the age of 35? Or are us over 30 year olds just living a dream?

Any information that anyone may be able to provide on this subject would be greatly received.

Many thanks to you all for your time and information.

ands
28th Jan 2007, 01:13
IRISHEMIRATE

Thanks for your rundown of the day. I agree with everyone who has said don't give up. I think if one thing is clear, there is often no way of knowing why someone was or wasn't selected to progress within the recruitment phase. However, i don't think this is exclusive to Emirates. If you look at pretty much any of the airlines' recruitment threads on this site, there is usually at least one person who says they applied and didn't hear back/made it through all the assessments and 6 months later were told "no thanks"/turned up totally unprepared and wearing a leopard print jumpsuit and made it through/etc.

I think the reality is that most recruitment events, but particularly Open Days, are simply a means of efficiently (but not always effectively) processing a large number of people. I don't think that even Emirates would claim that they identify all of the good candidates at every Open Day. Some good will miss out, some bad will progress. I don't really envy the recruiters: they must have a very difficult job trying to identify the good from the bad simply from photographs and a resume.

But don't give up. I wouldn't think that your experience with EK recruitment is necessarily representative of the entire company. With one of my current employers (non-airline), i applied for a job, went for an interview and after not hearing anything, I eventually called them 4 weeks later to find out the outcome. I've been working for them for 4.5 years without any major problems. But if i'd let their recruitment processes put me off...

So, in a very roundabout way, i really am trying to say 'consider reapplying'.

Samara
The age limits question seems to be a tricky one. I'm sure that someone who works for EK (OzyOS, EKHQ and helfsich all appear to be very helpful) will be able to tell you more accurately than i can. However, if you haven't already, you have nothing to lose by simply applying and/or turning up for an Open Day, if your circumstances allow (eg money, work, family). If you aren't successful, it isn't necessarily because of your age. But if you never actually put yourself forward to Emirates' by applying, then you'll never know. Go for it (again, if you haven't already)!

EKHQ
28th Jan 2007, 02:48
Hi there Irishmate,
sorry to hear that you dint make it past the first round..
ont get dissappointed, and DO NOT take it personally...the problem with an open day is that, the recruiters are under lots of pressure to cut down numbers..
and you never know who they are looking for on the day..so really .. a lot of it is down to them just missing you out..
im not sure the smokers taking a break had anything to do with them getting past the first stage..if anything i think smokers are a put off in a group situation..
i would suggest reapply again. and dont worry about it.
when i applied, it was on an off chance, i dint have a single clue as to what to expect, dint know anything about the rounds, stages and group discussions...so the day was really like a roller coaster..
it was only after the final interview and during the waiting period that i stumbled across this website, and realised that EK is so popular!
so in someways..ignorance is bliss.

For Those wondering about the upper age limit..i can only say you are as old as you feel, i think if you are youthful,(however old you are!), energetic and pro-active...you should apply..

helfsich
28th Jan 2007, 03:49
Regarding the upper age limit - cabin crew over the age of 30 is not entirely unheard of. In my abinitio I had a girl who joined - she was recruited when she was 32. Plus there are a few Pursers and SFP's who I've flown with who are over 40. However, I have yet to see anyone join the company afresh over the age of 35. That's just my observation, I have no idea if the recruiters have an upper age limit or not and what it is.

One exception I guess to this is that if you have a very specific skill that they may see will become in handy, such as nursing experience. From this they may see you on line for a few years, and to then tranfer over to the training college to train abinitio crew. I know of one person who went from Economy crew to service trainer having been with the company for only a year and one month.

To be honest though, none of us have any idea whatsoever as to what the recruiters may be thinking and who will be the right 'fit' as an Emirates girl or guy. Personally I would just go to the open day, because you never know beforehand if you have a chance at getting picked. It is truly a dream job and I encourage anyone, regardless of age, to have a go.

andyman_82
28th Jan 2007, 04:28
Hi im interested to know what the wage is for a flight attendant with EK after training is completed. I know it has details on their site but I want to know roughly what the allowances would be and all.

Also im interested to know what the staff travel is like. Are EK staff eligable for interline tickets on other carriers eg BA/QF/CX/MH?
And is it only for immediate family or can u nominate a componanion or does it have to be a spouse. How long do you have to wait to get access to staff tvl?

AnDy

mushy
28th Jan 2007, 07:40
According to me, Emirates look for youthful, energetic, easygoing yet mature crew.
you never know if you fit until you apply, the good thing is that Emirates know exactly what they are looking for, if you fit, youre in.
cheers.

well i would like to inform you that , there are few nasty people in hr department ,i have no words to say .

i had attended an open day held in hyderabad india , there were two females ( english ladies ) :\ . good looking infact, but very bad attitude :cool: ,
i went till the second round . but i was surprised to see their selection criteria . people who were not groomed properly ,wearing casuals went till the final round . i have a flying exprience of 1 yr . as a flight steward .
AFTER THIS INTERVIEW I FELT EMIRATES CAN RECRUIT ANYONE .

Sta_Power
28th Jan 2007, 08:39
Mushy!
glad to know that i am not the only one who thinks that things at EK has gone a bit whacky. I had the exact same experience here in Dubai as well.

Alright , i feel sane now that someone understands what i am talking about!

love,
Sta

EKHQ
28th Jan 2007, 09:45
Hi you guys,
i do feel sorry that you feel that way about EK recruitment.
but i do think that instead of grumbling about it and blaming the airline, maybe one needs to take a look at ones own faults perhaps?
you probably are fantastic people, but may not have the right qualities that Emirates are looking for.
The fact that you have previous flying experience, is irrelevant to Emirates, because they are going to train and groom you anyway..
And also i think if you had made it through, you comments would be just the opposite.
something to chew on perhaps?
I suggest apply again if you want it real bad.
Good Luck

IRISHEMIRATE
28th Jan 2007, 16:00
EKHQ:

thanks for your comments, im starting to agree with the comment that ignornace is bliss, knowing too much isnt always a good thing.

ands
Thanks for ur comments as well. Ill wait 6 months and see what my circumstances are then, i still really wanna do the job but Ill have to wait and see.

cheers

helfsich
28th Jan 2007, 18:58
Travel entitlements are that you have 1 annual leave ticket per year to your destination of recruitment, after 3 years this is to any destination in the EK network

Unlimited Cat 99 tickets for yourself, 10 per immediate family member

Plus ID 50 (50%) and ID 90 (90% off), but I'm not sure of how it's distributed. I think it's only one for your immediate family.

We have codeshare agreements, I can't remember with who exactly, but do include Sri Lanka, Continental and Thai airways.

When you're on probation, you're entitled to use only your annual leave ticket, and Cat 99, but only the annual leave ticket will be approved as you aren't allowed to leave Dubai when on probation on days off. Once you've finished you get a lot more freedom and can go travelling on your days off.

Also keep in mind that all staff travel tickets are for economy class only.

As far as partners go, only spouses are entitled to travel entitlements. No boyfriend/girlfriends or defacto.

Hope that helps :O

umzy
28th Jan 2007, 21:19
Hey FLAME Lily Fx,
Nice to see tht u r going . Hopefuly, i'll catch you there. I'm comming frm Manchester for tht. Don't have any clue where i'll b staying and where is the Hotel ... havta Google till last day .

Cheers

umzy
28th Jan 2007, 21:57
Hi FLAME Lily Fx....
Aww, thts not a good news for u. Wish you wil get more thn EK ... Thier r always many ways :)

I'll surely keep ya all update....

Cheers
Umzy

Samara
29th Jan 2007, 03:05
Hi Ands,

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement, it's good to have positive feedback despite my age. However, after reading the reply from Flame Lily FX, it would seem that there would be little, if no point in applying bearing in mind my age. Anyhow, I'll give it some thought and see if they have an Open Day in and around NZ in the future and consider giving it a go.

Flame Lily FX,

Thanks so much for that info, very helpful indeed. I thought that there might be an age limit, friends of a friend of friends etc, have previously applied to Emirates and they too were over 35 and although two of them got to the second round of interviews, were rejected and felt that it was due to their ages. Funnily enough, one of them who flies for a large and well known international carrier went for a position of cabin crew at Emirates, didn't get through the second stage but went for a position of Galley Co-ordinator and Inflight Manager with Silverjet and was offered the position of Inflight Manager with Silverjet in the UK. He said that his interviewer at Silverjet was an ex-cabin crew recruiter from Emirates who had only recently resigned from Emirates to start with Silverjet, who had told him that there was an age limit of 30 for Emirates even though it was never mentioned on their website. He flies any day now with Silverjet who had their inaugural flight on25th January, which I hear was very successful. So at least there was a happy ending to his application, every cloud has a silver lining! Perhaps you and I could consider applying to Silverjet!! Either way, when perusing other potential cabin crew opportunities on the aviation job search website, I noticed that all the other companies based in the Middle East at least stated an upper age limit, discriminatory or not. Just wish that Emirates would state it in their adverts as then you would know whether you would be wasting their time and yours. Oh well, I guess they think that us "oldies" just aren't up for the job. Would be nice to see a broader spectrum of ages in Emirates though, I'm sure we'd be able to do the job just as well. Who knows, maybe they'll reconsider and up the age limit one day, always the optimist!! Thanks again for your info.

lil_star
29th Jan 2007, 07:21
hEYYYY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a big fan of this forum and consider it as the most active and useful for wannabes. I ve got an invitationfor EK interview for feb 2007. iS anybody for this month in Dubai????

lil_star
29th Jan 2007, 08:04
:rolleyes: I am attending at the moment airline courses in Dubai. I just wanted to ask if somebody knows: is it helpful or no to go through the interview?

hazzelika
30th Jan 2007, 00:45
Hi everyone,

I just want to say to all Successful Ek Applicants, CONGRATULATION:D
And to those who did not get in, DON'T GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS. If being a flight attendant is your passion, keep on trying. Everytime you fail you learn to prepare for the next interview. If you don't get EK, try other airlines because you will never know where it will lead you to. Remember, Rome wasn't build in a day.

And to those going for EK interview GOOD LUCK !!!:)

Sincerely,
hazzelika

Elouise
30th Jan 2007, 07:33
Hi guys, im just new in this forum and i'm also interested in applying as FA. Can you tell me where should I submit my resume and any tips before going to an interview... Hope You can help me out guys. Thank you

lil_star
30th Jan 2007, 07:35
THANX HAZZELIKA FOR YOUR SUPPORT. you r right, when smb wants smth he will achieve it

come on guys lets do it!!!!!!!:O :ok:

milz
30th Jan 2007, 09:30
Hi,

I made it to the 2nd interview and wonder if anyone can help me pass this one.

Anyone who can give example of 3 negative sides of yourself that is good to use as an answer.

also ex of 3 questions you would like to ask a person if you want to sell perfume?

thank you!

Sta_Power
30th Jan 2007, 11:09
HI EKHQ,

Thanks for the words of wisdom! Maybe I was feeling a bit sorry for myself but it is odd that quite a few people, from different parts of the world, feel the same way, dont you think?.

I would just like to reiterate that I didn’t mean to ‘blame’ EK for anything. I am most honored that EK invited me for an interview given the volume of resumes they receive! I have great admiration for this airline with regards to its service and staff. It has grown tremendously from its inception!

If I did make it though to EKCC, I might not have been singing the same tune I agree but I know for sure that no matter what happened I would give everyone interested in applying to EK a clear picture of what happened at the interview and what to expect. I believe there are always two sides to a coin and sometimes the other side (the not so good side) is equally important to know.

Please PLEASE do not mistake my reply as a retort to you EKHQ. We are all here for the same reason – to achieve our ‘common’ goal.

peppero
30th Jan 2007, 12:30
Emirates is conducting its recruitment in the philippines in coordination with a local agency here which is IPAMS. you can visit their website, www.ipams.com (http://www.ipams.com) and find out you can apply as cabin crew for emirates.

wishing you the best!

Elouise
31st Jan 2007, 01:03
Hi peppero,

Thanks for the info, I'd submitted already the resume. YIPEE! Are you an aspirant also?

hazzelika
31st Jan 2007, 09:56
HI Milz,

If u can, I suggest that you ask your Best Friend to tell you about 3 Negative things about yourself. Only best friends will tell us the truth about ourselves.But don't get offended and bear in mind it may be hard to accept it at first .I was speechless when my best friend told me about the 3 negative things. BUt hey at least i've learnt something I never knew about myself. Good Luck! ;)

Sincerely
hazzelika

misshostie
31st Jan 2007, 10:33
I still cannot believe that people rock up in jeans, tank tops, huggge handbags and also rock up about 15 minutes late!
The ironic thing is, these people appear to be getting through.
Maybe I should adopt that attitude too? Shame though it would go against my personal ethics about appearances for interviews. :ugh:

peppero
31st Jan 2007, 14:20
hi Elouise!

you're welcome. yes, i'm also aspiring to be a cabin crew. how did you send your application, via email?

i'm yet to submit my application just not sure when, but it will be soon. i'm quite busy nowadays as i still have lots of work to finish.

anyway, i hope we can both make it. GOD BLESS!

peppero

ITO
31st Jan 2007, 16:00
Hi folks..

Let's hop a good luck to each and everyone of you attending a cabin crew selection with any airline around the world. I'm one of thoes many cabin crew flying around drawing holes in the skies, attending the "DING DONG" and trying to give the persons what they need while flying for A to B, and more, trying to assure there safety, the only thing that a passenger never think about once onboard. Good luck for you guys that are taking, or going to take any airline CC interview. However, I think that as cabin crew, we should warn our followers about the job, because it's all except an easy one. Selections, and talking about your self during the interview, and all that crap are just something that you'll pass through once, in order to face the real thing. And some time, it can be a really awfull situations !

What I would like to say is, that beeing a cabin crew, is beeing a very hard worker, specially if flying for a major airline like Emirates. I'm flying for here directe rivale, and it's really taugh to represend such big airlines, as they always exept 100% from you, and not only them, but the customers aswell. Of cours that's normal you'll say and I agree, but 100% means 100% and for thoes who think that they are going on a free holidays working as cabin crew, they are making a very big mistake. I remember my interview when people where saying, I want to be a cabin crew because I like traveling. But nobody and absolutely nobody, including me, said that they like to work with people, and that's what a cabin crew do.

Beeing a cabin crew, be ready for :
-HARD WORK
-FACING CRAZY PEOPLE.
-SUPPORTING THE BAD MOOD OF CUSTOMERS, and be ready to face some real challenging situation where you'll have to be really patiant, otherwise you'll probabelly kill that person. Once I've been insulted by a customer who told me "**** YOU" because I asked him to seat down and to fasten his seat belt while he was standing up during the final approach, trying to take his bag down from the overhead bean + he was a littel bit drunk.
-SUPPORTING THE MOOD OF YOUR SUPPERIORS. Some are sometime rud to there crew, just because they feel more powerfull, and it gets really rediculos when it's them who are talking about not beeing rude to everyone among the crew or the customers.
-SUPPORTING what the company impose to you, supporting long haul flight, night flight, working in a row, coming in the morning going in the evening.
-SUPPORTING LONLINESS sometimes, specially for the new commers, during the first few months. Girles over here used to cry every single night, away from home on a new environement where they have nobody.

Concidering something new in you life, is to concidere aswell the bad side of that thing, and the few points above are a part of what you'll face as a cabin crew. You'll be testing your self, and you'll really get to know the limit of your self on what you can take, and what you can't, specially with Emirates, and all the middle east airlines, as we have a difficult customers profile. As one of the crew said before, around 6/12 months, you'll know if you'll continue doing this, or if you'll pack up your bags and get ready to leave back home, regaining a normal life.

The good part is that you'll see things that you would never expect to see, you'll meet different people, who will maybe become freinds, you'll earn good money, always in the best hotels enjoying there free facilities, or having discounts. You'll be having dicounts on airline tickets, to your family aswell ( but not freinds ), things will become easy to get sometimes, you'll be wearing a nice uniform :} and everybody will be watching you in the worldwide airports like if you are coming from another planet. That will make you prode, a second.

You can take the opportunity, try, and see if you are made to be a cabin crew, or not. However, as I said, it's not an easy job for thoese who thinks that it is one.

It was my minute.
Good luck and safe flight.

thealine
1st Feb 2007, 04:53
Hi! I would like to know if anyone here has actually failed their medical exam w/ EK? I am currently having mine, and has come across something that needs further testing. I am anxious about it already. Thanks!

EKHQ
1st Feb 2007, 05:59
Hi,
The Emirates medical is actually quite basic when you think about it.
Although i did read about a girl on another forum who found out she had TB.
What exactly are you now getting tested further?

skylite
1st Feb 2007, 11:07
Hi all. I'm thinking of applying once I've finished uni. A couple of things that maybe someone could answer for me.

I've just started working at Gleneagles hotel as a waiter and hope to do this for the 3 years I'm at uni for. Do you think this will count as enough customer contact or not? I worked in a restaurant for 2 and a hlaf years before I left for uni so I'm hoping this will be enough experience.

Could some one tell me the basic pay in British Pounds as I've looked on the Emirates website and tried to convert what they say but just wondering if someone could give a rough idea as a new cc member

Also whats the social side like. Do you go out a lot when your back in dubai or layovers or are you normally too tired too?

Any help on the above would be great

Cheers.

Casablanca85
1st Feb 2007, 17:18
yippieeee i finished my training as a bank clerk successfully on 31 January 2007!!! Ohh it was soooo hard!!
everyone who is going to an openday, I would like to offer herewith my help as I went through the whole interview process!!!

The best regrads!

lukeylad
1st Feb 2007, 21:51
Hey Guys just found out there is an open at for Emirates cabin crew at the Jurys Inn Newcastle on saturday 3rd Febuary. 9.00am start.

umzy
1st Feb 2007, 23:09
Hey Casablanca85 ,
Congratulations on ur trainging completion ... ready for nXT training with EK ;) ?

Hey lukeylad,
Yesh, i'm going there.... lets see, how I hit the day :8...

Anybody else up for NewCastle ?

Cheers,
Umzy

lukeylad
1st Feb 2007, 23:58
Hey Casablanca85 ,
Congratulations on ur trainging completion ... ready for nXT training with EK ;) ?

Hey lukeylad,
Yesh, i'm going there.... lets see, how I hit the day :8...

Anybody else up for NewCastle ?

Cheers,
Umzy

Aye im going aswell so good of my college to let me know today.

Ju Ev
2nd Feb 2007, 03:20
I have applied here in Brazil, and got into the end. It wasn't as hard as I expected, but tiring. Now I have to wait 4-6 weeks to have the answers. Looong weeks....

As I promissed, I'm going to describe in order to help others who are aplying too.

About the first day I canīt say because I have skipped, reasons I have described on a previous post. On the second openday in Brazil (São Paulo) It was about 80 people. men and women. All the girls wearing nice suit (skirt). Make up etc.... They gave us numbers, and there was 2 girls from Emirates. One tall blond pretty woman was from Australia and the other kind of japonese from the Philippinnes. We had to way for about 1 hour and 30 minutes for the first meeting to start. We went to a room they put a video and the questions started. People asked all kinds of questions about the profession, the company, the city. It's nice if you can ask SMART questions, but naturally not about money, beneficts or promotion. This was about one hour. After, we left the room and they separated us in four groups. Two groups went inside, two stayed out. They asked us to talk to the person next to us and ask our partner: The most embarrasing momento of his/her life and the famous person he/she would like to meet. Meanwhile, they were calling one by one to go there and check our heigh.
After, the women came each one in a different group and we had to individually stand up and introduce our colleague. ( tell all the information he told us in a very nice way) After that, she said that group A had to defend the permanence of the planet Pluto into the Solar System and group B had to defend the extintion. We had to discuss and find arguments for that. They were all the time observing what was happening in the group. We had to present aloud ( only 2 members) and we were told to leave the room. This took about one hour. After 15 minutes they came back with the famous letters. About 7 people were out. We left for a quick lunch and the other group came in. The same thing happen except for the second topic. About 5 were out.
Now it was the English test time. We had one hour to do it and there were two types of test. I thought the test was very easy, and the essay topic was ridiculous.... they asked us to talk about Carnival!! A very famous brazilian festival (...) The problem for some people was really the time... Some people couldn't finish the test and weren't able to write the essay well. After this, we had to wait about an hour for them to correct and give us another letter. A lot of people were cut at this moment. I could say that about 20, 25. The next step was the second dynamic work group. We were split in smaller groups (about 5 people) and they gave us a paper to decide who would we give the "employee of the month award". There was about 7 candidates all related with fliying situations. We as a group decided, as they observed. The second task was: We were on a sinking ship, and we had to take 10 itens. What would we take? After deciding, we would have to leave 5 from this 10. What would we leave behind?
We left, the other groups came in. We waited. Some more cuts. In the end we were about 12 people. This twelve went in, filled some papers, and we had to take a psycometric test ( a pain in the **:sad: ) about 160 questions!
Then we schedule the final interview and left. The whole thing took about 12 hours.
Two days later, came the final interview day. It took about one hour. They made everything to make me feel confortable and relaxed. One of them was asking questions and the other taking notes. You never now how you did it. They asked me a lot of questions concerning my job, if I ever got in conflict with coworkers or coordenators ( Iīm a teacher), If I ever did more than I should for a student, what are the rules that I would never jeopardize, etc. I have no ideia what is going to happen, but waiting is really bad!!!! Some of my documents were missing. It's reeeally good if you can take everything you need so than your answer comes before. They said I might receive a phone call in 4 to 6 weeks or an email (email is a no answer :()

1)I had problems with my pictures. The pictures must be really nice or they don't get it. I took pictures with a professional photographer now. The casual pictures must be full lengh and smilling. The passport pictures (4) must also be smilling and no dates attached on you. And they have a smaller size than here in Brazil.
2)You have to take at least two letters of recomendations from employees or previous (Thanks for the tips from the people here I had taken these!! :p )
3) You have to take all your certificates, and in my case, they had to be translated by an official translator (State)
4) Copy of passport
All these documents, if you don't have them at the moment it's ok. You have the chance to send to Dubai later. But if you have the time to get them and take them with you, it's better because they will enjoy and you will hear about them before!!!

Now I have to wait... feel anxious. I have no ideia if I did good in the interview.

I hope all this helps. If you need anything, just ask.

Again, thanks to the Emirates people who were here to support me during my process. I will let you know what happens. :ok:

Ju Ev
2nd Feb 2007, 03:26
Can you people who are already there tell me about the medical exams??

What if I take some medication? Should I stop? WHat exams do they ask me here and there in Dubai and when? Is it true that you can't take medicines even for a cold?

What if I need some kind of medication, do you think this can jeopardize my chances?

Thanks

umzy
2nd Feb 2007, 09:18
Hey lukeylad ,
All the best .... Hope to see you there !!!

just a lil curious, ur age is written 20 here in forum? Is that on Purpose ? Cuz wats running in my mind is IF u r really 20, the minimum age careteria is 21? Help me out, if i'm wrong.

Cheers

lukeylad
2nd Feb 2007, 10:09
yeh im 20 mate but ive been told by my college tutors that it is ok to turn up and show interest in the job.

IRISHEMIRATE
2nd Feb 2007, 10:33
Hi lukeylad,

Jst thought i would let u know i attended an open day recently and there were people who were under 21. basically they thanked them for coming and said they could stay for the information part of the day but they couldnt process their applicaiton because you had to be 21 to serve alochol onboard the plane. Not sure what happends if ur nearly 21 though

Anyways good luck to everyone headin for the newcastle open day.

lukeylad
2nd Feb 2007, 10:42
I see. im 21 in december.

May no go now then.

helfsich
2nd Feb 2007, 14:42
Just to clarify guys, yes you do need to be 21 to be a cabin crew, that's part of the company-imposed rules (all to do with the service of alcohol).

However, you can still have your application processed and do the interviews, so long as you turn 21 before your expected graduation day. If you turn 21, say, within 8 weeks of your interview date, you should be alright.

lukeylad
2nd Feb 2007, 16:15
ive been talking with my tutors today and even though im not 21 till december im still going to go as i think it will be a a good experience and i could gain allot from it.

Elouise
2nd Feb 2007, 17:11
Hi peppero,

Yap you can send it via email. Im quite busy ryt now too so i have no time yet to go for an interview. Maybe I can drop by in there office by next week. :) Yeah Good Luck for all of Us... GOD BLESS.... Anyway just keep in touch... ciao

fly_guy100
2nd Feb 2007, 18:11
Why is Etihad's hiring age 20 and they're part of the U.A.E.

cirrus17
3rd Feb 2007, 05:52
hi, I am currently in dubai.
Medicals before you leave- chest xrays, hearing test, eye test, general medical eg, height/weight/ever been seriously ill etc etc...
blood tests- ONLY for HIV and Iron blood count

then when you arrive here you don't have your medicals until 3 days after you land- make sure you don't take any cold medicines such as Lemsip/beechams, sorry don't know the international brand names- but you know what i mean- the powdered paracetemol stuff you add to hot water!
once you pass medicals then you can have them whenever you like. when you get accepted by ek they send you a list of certain drugs banned in the uae- coedine being the major one- used in some painkillers.

just make sure your doctor signs every single form correctly, and if possible, get all your injections done in your home country, and make sure they are still valid!!

ands
3rd Feb 2007, 05:54
Ju Ev

Thanks for the information about your Emirates recruitment experiences. Good luck! I hope you receive a phone call rather than an email.

thealine
3rd Feb 2007, 07:46
hi EKHQ! thanks for the reply. anyway, might not need to worry anymore as I have been cleared. BTW, which forum did you see the TB thing?I am sure TB is a non acceptable disease.. mine is not as serious.

Many Thanks.

Aiskilus
3rd Feb 2007, 11:19
Hi Thealine,

How did your interview go? Can you give me some tips on each interview and how many interviews were there? Thanks and good luck:)

Aiskilus

lukeylad
3rd Feb 2007, 12:15
Hey there ive just got back from the Newcastle open day. Very good experience i was told that due to my age to come to an open day in october.

PER210
3rd Feb 2007, 12:27
well done lukey.. at least they didnt say 'dont come back' :}
how much of the day did you spend there?

lukeylad
3rd Feb 2007, 14:52
well there must have been at least 100 people turn up so they split us into 2 sessions i was in the first group and left at about 11ish. Gave my CV in and the women told me to get back in touch in october time. There calling some people back tomorrow to take part in assesments then back on monday for interviews.

umzy
3rd Feb 2007, 15:13
Hey ,
Just came back from New Castle, thought i'd update you. It was nearly 135-150? I guess, quite unexpected. They devided into 2 groups, one went had an EK presentation of Video, QA and then handling of CV. I was in 2nd group. We went at 11:30, and the DVD player was not working by tht time (dont kno wat Lukelad fellas did to DVD) ;).

Anywyas, Jessica (one lady there) briefied us abt EK, Dubai and all. Then, we were told that they will just collect Cvs today, thn call back at 5pm today IF they want any of us to come for Assessment. Tomorrow will be assessment and frm Monday, Final interviews.

I came back, dont kno what I'm going to do if i get call. It was quite disappointed experience cuz in Frankfurt in recent months, they have been dealing with around 160 ppl for the assessment, dont kno wat happend this time.

Anyways , hope for the best.
Cheers

lukeylad
3rd Feb 2007, 15:17
We didn't see the DVD either some guy from the hotel came and said it was bust lol.

I know a few people from the group i was in were thinking about getting rooms at the jurys just incase hope there ready for a loud nite its stag and hen capilital that hotel.

lukeylad
3rd Feb 2007, 15:24
Hey Flame Lily

Bonnie hexham is cold colder than newcastle and scotland according so to some one at the open day.

Im currently studying Airline and Airport Opertions at Newcastle college. Im on the second year.

lukeylad
3rd Feb 2007, 15:46
Check you PM Flame lily.

condor2020
4th Feb 2007, 03:08
Does Emirates employ cabin crew who previously worked as cabin crew for Emirates and decided they would like to apply again?

Ex EK Trolley
4th Feb 2007, 09:45
Yes Condor 2020 , EK do re recruit Ex-Emirates cabin crew. However each case will be individually looked at in respect of current age, the grade you were when you left and of course most importantly your personal records which show things like your reports and sickness.

I left and re joined and only had to fill in a 'rejoiner' application and I was allowed to rejoin with out any interviews so make sure you make that application a good one!!

It is a breeze the second time round as youve been through it all before and I found I acually enjoyed trainning school although depending on what grade you rejoin as you will be at training school for what seems like for ever after SEP and First Aid and then relevant grade training courses.

Good Luck and I hope you dont have to start again as a grade 2 !!!

Aliyyah
4th Feb 2007, 12:56
Is it also possible to attend an Assessment Day in Dubai, even if you don`t live there? A flight attendant working for EK told me that the chances of getting hired are better in Dubai then in my home country, so he recommended me to come to Dubai for an interview, because I already went to an Open Day twice here in Germany and failed both times! :{

At the Career website they have every month a couple of Assessment Days in Dubai. In general you have to have an invitation to attend one of these Assessment Days, but I am not sure if you have to have an invitation for the one in Dubai? Because they say you just have to drop off your CV from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Career Center. So how does this work? You just drop off your CV and then they invite you or not? And if they invite you, where will the interview take place? In Dubai or in your home country?

rivaldo
4th Feb 2007, 13:11
hi pls anyone cane helpe me i need to know if ther is a open day interview this manth or next in dubai and wher is gonna be,this is verry urgent pls and thank u all.:)

Aliyyah
4th Feb 2007, 13:17
Hi rivaldo,

I don`t think there are any Open Days in Dubai, at least I didn`t hear of any yet! I think they just have Assessment Days in Dubai, like I said before, you have to drop off your CV at the Career Center. The dates are at their website:

http://dxbmiww99.emirates.com/hrrecruit/CC_OpenDay/CC_OpenDayList.asp

EKHQ
5th Feb 2007, 02:48
Hi ALiya,
For the Dubai based assessment day, you can drop off your CV between 4 to 5 pm on any weekday, and then you will get called back if they want you to attend an assessment day.
The assessment day will be held in the career centre in the Emirates building itself.

fly_guy100
5th Feb 2007, 03:25
About the whole 21 thing and being able to service alcohol, Etihad's age requirement is 20 and Abu Dhabi is part of the U.A.E. and Dubai is too, but why is Emirates' 21?

Aliyyah
5th Feb 2007, 12:13
EKHQ, thank you for the information! I didn`t know that you can drop off your CV any day, I thought it has to be the dates they say at their website. Do you know how long it will take them in general to respond if they are interested?

EKHQ
6th Feb 2007, 02:56
THe dates they post are the actual assessment days.
You need to drop your CV off before that.
Im really not sure how many days earlier though..
Be prepared that there are tons of Cv's being dropped off everyday..
not sure where you are based...after you apply online...then mayber you can send them an email saying that you could fly to dubai for them.

Smooch Pooch
6th Feb 2007, 03:30
Hi!

I would like to attend an Emirates open day this month. If I was lucky enough to be successful, I would be unable to fly out for 4 months. Is this possible? I have heard that Emirates usually give you 3 months to go, but I am just wondering if they ever extend it?

Many thanks :)

sherrie_bobbins
6th Feb 2007, 04:10
Hi,

im new to this website, and i am very interested in becoming a flight attendant for Emirates.

i just have a question i hope i can get help with.

I live in australia, and they are offering a cabin crew course at brisbane airport. Do you think this will help with the recruitment process or would i be wasting $5000 ?

The company doing the course said it is recognised worldwide by major airlines, but to me it sounded like they were just saying that to get my money.

Thanks in advance. :)

EKwannabe
6th Feb 2007, 07:52
Hi Sherrie,
If you want to fly for Emirates, then you just need to apply or attend an open day in Oz.
They recruit majorly there.
I personally think that although the course would give you an insight the knowledge to be a cabin crew, it would be ineffective to help you get a job with Emirates.
Emirates look for the personality when they recruit, not prior knowledge.
Good Luck.

into the skies
6th Feb 2007, 12:39
hey guys....

This is to all the current Ek crew.

Does Ek get u ur complete make up kits for u... or do u hav to end up spending ur own money? at least when u start off?

secondly., wat if u've been recruited directly frm dxb... then hw many medical test r u to go thru? dat is once u pass ur medicals... which u get done by urself..., does Ek make u go thru another set of medicals in their clinic? or does it only apply to ppl cumin frm other countries?

I hope someone wud care to answer my questions....

thanks .

Aliyyah
6th Feb 2007, 14:54
Well, I still have some time until I can reapply again, my last Open Day was at the end of November in Frankfurt. But I am planning on flying to Dubai in June, then I will drop off my CV around this time and see what will happen. But thanks again for all the information, this was very helpful! :ok:

lukeylad
6th Feb 2007, 17:58
Hey guys just to let ya know out of the 150 of us who went to the open day in newcastle on satureday only 3 people got a postion.

Well done!! :D

airwaiters
7th Feb 2007, 03:39
Is Anyone currently working for Emirates as cabin crew?

EKwannabe
7th Feb 2007, 04:28
When youre recruited in Dubai, you will be asked to go to certain doctors and get you medical and dental tests done.
You will also need to get approved by the EK medical clinic prior to your joining date.

hazzelika
7th Feb 2007, 09:40
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can answer my question. In my application form that i received at my walk-in interview. I answer "No" to the question 'Do you wear contact lenses?If yes, state the power. '

I have perfect vision but I have high astigmatism. I wear glasses only if I use the computer or driving at night. Will this be a problem in the Eye test Examination , if I get the position?? :sad:

Sincerely,
hazzelika

TightSlot
7th Feb 2007, 10:40
I have perfect vision

I did too, until I tried to read your post - do we have to have coloured decorations outside of Christmas?

umzy
7th Feb 2007, 11:36
Good one TightSlot ... U really working hard... though i got some concerns abt my posts (Nokia Text and one post deleted here) but no worries....

Hey All...
Just saw the that Assessment days and open day sare updated on EK website. 3 Assessment days in total 22 days in London :eek: .. God, hopefully they dont miss me this time. As i already got feeling tht I'm going this time.. just my own view :)

All the best all... and where is everybody ? :hmm:

Cheers

rivaldo
7th Feb 2007, 17:17
hi thank u verry mutch Alliyyah,im going in the end off this month to DXB to see same freinds and i will tray my luck:ok: good luck for u too;)

airwaiters
7th Feb 2007, 21:37
Hi,

I completed the cabin crew Course in Brisbane some time ago and I am still looking for a job as cabin crew - they didn't help me much.

justsmile!
8th Feb 2007, 11:43
Sheree!!!!! DON'T waste your money, time and energy on this so called "cabin crew course." You are being ripped off. I have never done any course, and it is not a requirement for any airline to do a preparation course before you can be hired with them. I worked for Qantas for 3 years and am now with Emirates. Trust me, they are not interested in these courses, they mean nothing. Airlines like to train you THEIR way. if u want advice, ask the people on this forum what will make you stand out from all the rest in an airline interview.
I have heard about other courses that companies offer, but I have never heard of them costing $5000. That is just unbelievable and it makes me angry that they are laughing all the way to the bank while hundreds of desperate people who just want a career in flying think that it will give them an extra chance.

CJ30
8th Feb 2007, 15:33
i thought i would add a few words of wisdom to all those wishing to join emirates or etihad. I used to work for both as a cabin manager and a trainer and have spent nearly 8 years in the uae so hopefully i do speak from experience.

With regards to interviews, you are always given a list of instructions etc on what to wear etc, follow them, remember this is the only opportunity they have to see if you will look the part, if you cant follow a dress code for an interview then that indicates to them that you may not wear the uniform or make up requirements. Yes they want individual people who can think for themselves but they also need to know that you can follow instructions.

I also appreciate that these interview days can be very nerve wracking and you may think its easy for me to say these things because i passed their recruitment days but take a step back and think, sometimes you can arm yourself with too much information. Remember most of us will come away with a different experience be it good or bad. They want to see the real you but if you are constantly trying to remember the dos and donts from this website then the real you will never shine through!!!! lets be honest you dont have a similar website for interview tips on becoming a nurse or joining a bank....

My best advice to prepare yourself is to read your cv and make sure you can answer any questions on it..... if you say that you work well with people then be prepared to explain why, always use examples where you can. Research the company from their own website and press office, remember a lot of what is posted here is rumour or heresay at least if you take it from the companys website you cant go wrong and remember you are being watched all the time. They dont want to see everyone doing the same thing because they will never be able to gauge your personality.

Please please please note that if certain requirements are asked for then there is a reason like swimming or height or a certain level of english. Think outside the box!! swimming might save your life one day if you crash landed into the sea, height is important as you need to be able to reach the hatracks not only for assisting with luggage but because there is safety equipment in there which you may need to utilise at any point during your flight. English is the universal language spoken on these airlines what happens if the captain or the cabin manager tries to give you important information very quickly on a flight that your life may depend on, they wont have time to repeat themselves so you need to be able to understand straight away. Remember first and foremost your job is all about safety and security..... so if you think along these lines when preparing yourselves for an interview then it shows that you have actually thought about the role that you are going to do and not just how you are going to get through the interview.

The life of a crew member is an amazing one you will either love it or hate it, but remember it is physically demanding so you do need to be reasonably fit, you are on your feet for long periods of time, you lift and bend a lot and the aircraft doors are heavy when you are opening and closing them so you shouldnt be counting on the guys to help you out as often it is all female crews. Before you apply and put yourself through a lot of stress think carefully about the role and the implications of living away from home in another country where it will take you time to make friends and settle in and your initial training is hard work you will have to take on board a lot of new information every day and pass an exam every day with at least a 75/80% pass mark.

Hopefully this will make people think a little bit before they make applications because it is a long process it can be stressfull but very rewarding at the same time. So good luck to all of you out there and if i can help with anything then just ask ;)

airwaiters
9th Feb 2007, 01:17
Justsmile! You mention that you currently work for Emirates.

Do you know if there are any cabin crew working for Emirates that have a pilots licence?

Aliyyah
9th Feb 2007, 07:24
Rivaldo, I also wish you good luck for your application with Emirates!

shinners
10th Feb 2007, 20:13
in my country there will be an open day on 25th!!!

I would love to go to Dubai!!!!

ands
11th Feb 2007, 00:51
I'm about to get my photos printed for the Open Day i'm attending next weekend. Just went on the EK website to confirm if the photographs need to be a particular size (eg width and height). The only reference i could find is "passport size photographs". I presume they mean the head and shoulders photo. But do they actually want this photo to be the size of a passport photograph (eg a couple of centimetres wide by a couple of cms high)?

Thanks.

EKHQ
11th Feb 2007, 02:42
THats right. Passport size photographs,are the kind that are in your passport.
good luck!

crumb
11th Feb 2007, 21:31
People,you are great :D

crumb
11th Feb 2007, 21:37
what were the frequently asked questions ?

p.s thinking about team work

thealine
12th Feb 2007, 04:51
Hey,

Basically, the interviews were the same as most of the people here have related already.
You just need to be yourself... of course..good grooming..poise etc.

Read on what others have related here as it is basically the same with my experience.

Good luck!

come_flyin
12th Feb 2007, 06:18
your photos are very very very important! they have to be professionally done and you need one passport photo and one full length photo. the full length photo should have you facing straight on at the camera and you should have a skirt and jacket suit on and your hair back... also wear that lovely red lipstick! dont have any loose hair hanging over your face. you want to look as close as possible to what you would look like in uniform. dont forget the final say on whether you are choosen is left to people in the office not the people interviewing you... and what do they have to look at? your photos! good luck!!! Oh and a BIG smile!!! :)

airbornesyd
12th Feb 2007, 10:51
Abdomen,

You have an initial HIV test during your medicals at home before you get to Dubai. so even if you came up positive then, you wouldnt be able to apply as you cant get a residence visa to live and work in Dubai.

Cheers,
airbornesyd

anujmiglani
13th Feb 2007, 00:59
Hi, I have been called for first interview with Emirates, Can anyone please please tell me what kind of test are going to be? And what kind of questions they ask in test is it personality or apptitude test? Does it has math questions? Geography questions? World Timining? I am very nervous dont know what should I be doing? Please let me know where to prepare? Any Book I can buy and study as I so want this job. This is my dream job, please help me, you can Email me at [email protected]
Please help, will really appreciate
God Bless you

anujmiglani
13th Feb 2007, 01:24
Hello, I have this first interview with Emirates. I want to know what kind of tests they take? is it personality or aptitude test? Does it has math geography? After test what is next they do. Please let me know. you can reply me back at [email protected]
Thanks a lot for your kind attention and time
Cheers

EKwannabe
13th Feb 2007, 05:01
Hi,
you need to be a little clearer.
There is a LOT of info on the Emirates recruitment on this forum if you use the search link instead, and then you can come back with more specific questions.
Cheers
Good Luck

EK-CCMember
13th Feb 2007, 16:03
This post is going to be long, but it may be usefull for some of you interested on joining Emirates.

The only thing I MUST say is: BE YOURSELF!!

Its good to read the informations gathered in these forums BUT, I strongly advise you to just read it and spend some time/anxious on the forum. DON'T take these as absolutely true and also don't stick with them in mind. I've heard a EK Wannabe once on an OpenDay in South America that she trained the whole week for a test that the it could be asked for the appliers - BELIEVE IT:
She was telling a girl next to her that she read on the internet that there was a correct way to get a pen on the ground - with one leg straight!! Also that they could be selected from the iterviewrs to do that and if she crossed both legs she was going to be out of the process!!!!!

Hey guys, of course someone was joking around and she actually believed it. There's only one thing you have to believe it: there are no such things! Emirates look for a few things that only EMIRATES knows what that is. Even if someone already made through tells you something, that may not be the right thing because he/she just fitted the profile looked for. They know the fit, but they don't know what was aimed for!!

Read, get some info about the process, the company and be YOURSELF!! If you keep on repeating thins like "You have a point but on the other hand..." during group activities i guarantee you that interviewrs know that you found that on the internet and that you are trying to act like they want to. As a consequence their conclusion is that you're NOT BEING YOURSELF - you're pretending to be someone you're not.

That's the most important thing for now! Hope it helps.

I wish you all the best luck and that you get whatever is waiting for you!!
Go for it! If you don't try you won't get it!!! :D

Aiskilus
13th Feb 2007, 21:47
Hi guys!

I'm back!... what about ortho braces... my teeth are aligned i just want my braces back...hehehe does Ek hire people with braces?

rockerlpz
13th Feb 2007, 21:55
Hi, I just entered to the Emirates website, and I saw they put a new date for the open days in Paraguay, does anyone know if they will be going to Argentina to make interviews any time soon?, in february or march?, does anyone know about all this?, Iīll be looking forward for your answers

THANK YOU

anujmiglani
13th Feb 2007, 22:13
helloo
Thanks a lot for replying. my question is abt global assessment day. What kind of test they take? Is there some thing that I should study as I want to take this day as a very big day of my life. What kind of questions they ask in test? May be i can go to library and get some books. I know I hv read u hv to be confident from initial point to end. About the GD what kind of topics they choose like? Please let me know
Thanks
Anujmiglani

missworld21
14th Feb 2007, 08:57
Hi there!

ok, some help, guidance and advice please! I am looking to apply for cc with emirates. I am looking for inside info about the job, living conditions, monthly salary expectations etc. any info greatly appreciated. I am a graduate and currently working in an office in accounts earning Ģ20, 000 a year. I'm so bored though and flying has always appealed to me. so all the goss greatly appreciated! thanks, look forward to your response! X :)

Ju Ev
14th Feb 2007, 12:12
Most of the information you want to know you will find in the emirates website: http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/

All the information about salary, location, places to live, beneficts are there.

Check out the previous post from this Fo0rum too, they will surely help you a lot ;)

EK-CCMember
14th Feb 2007, 17:27
helloo
Thanks a lot for replying. my question is abt global assessment day. What kind of test they take? Is there some thing that I should study as I want to take this day as a very big day of my life. What kind of questions they ask in test? May be i can go to library and get some books. I know I hv read u hv to be confident from initial point to end. About the GD what kind of topics they choose like? Please let me know
Thanks
Anujmiglani

If you are really wanting the best on that day, PLEASE don't study! Be yourself and read only about the company and working as a CC!!

best luck for you!!

simonetta
15th Feb 2007, 01:35
Hello everybody!!! First of all thanks to all the people who spend time to share their experiences!! You're soooo helpful guys,really!!! I'd like to know if there are also "language tests" (oral or written) for people who speak for example French, German or Spanish besides of course the English test!!! I mean, if you wrote in your cv that you can speak several foreign languages, are they going to test you during the interview or on the following days???:rolleyes: Does anybody know????

EKHQ
15th Feb 2007, 02:49
I speak, read and write six languages fluently, but was only tested on English, and to come to think about it, they did not ask me about my languages at all..

Courtenay89
15th Feb 2007, 03:45
Hi everyone I'm new to the boards and am 17 don't worry I am not stupid enough to ask 'do you think they'd hire me at 17' lol. I think being 21 and older is perferct you actually have a better idea of who you are, and what you want when you join. I'm very committed to going to university here in Brisbane and am studying French and Primary School Teaching but would love to apply for EK after university. I just wanted to know:

Do they take what languages you speak into consideration with the destinations you are sent to?

Thanks
Court

into the skies
15th Feb 2007, 13:25
Posted in Nokia Speak

missworld21
16th Feb 2007, 10:51
Hi there,

Do emirates recruit most of the year round or only during a certain period. I am looking to apply but have a few commitments to attend in the uk in the next couple of months but i'm scared i miss the recruitment drive if i wait too long! i'm lookg to apply in April/May :)

djonfire
16th Feb 2007, 14:22
Hi! The stuff u wrote about emirates was very informative.:ok:
Though you did not mention a word about etihad..
Since you worked for both, I just wanted to know which among the two would you consider the best. If you had to rate as per employee satisfaction or in terms of payscale, which among the two airline would be your first preference? Coz am a little confused... :confused:

CJ30
16th Feb 2007, 14:35
this is a quite a difficult one to answer as it really comes down to what you want to get out of this. Both companies have pros and cons. Personally and it is only my opinion - if you are looking to have a career where the opportunity to work your way up the ladder is quick then Etihad would be the way to go but remember it is still relatively new and thus it is inevitable that there are teathing problems ie pay structure, housing and allowances however Emirates has been in the game a lot longer so have a pretty tried and tested regime so are much more stable however promotion takes a lot longer so it may take you anything up to 5-7 years to make a senior level where as in Etihad it can be achieved within 3 years if you display the attributes they are looking for.

And before everyone starts retaliating on this each company looks for different things at different levels and just because you are a senior in a company it does not give you the right to a CM or CSD position it has to do with your abilities. So although im saying it is easier to attain within Etihad you still have to be the right person for the job.

I hope this helps a little.

Both were excellant companies to work for :ok:

Aiskilus
16th Feb 2007, 16:43
Hi guys!

what about ortho braces... my teeth are aligned i just want my braces back...hehehe does Ek hire people with braces?

matel423
17th Feb 2007, 07:28
Hi! Im New Here! I Just Had My Final Interview With Emirates. They T0ld Me That I W0uld Have T0 Wait F0r The Results Within 4-6weeks. After My Final Interview They Made Me Take A 60 Item Test Called The Raven Test. 0ut 0f 7 0f Us Wh0 Made It T0 The Final Interview 0nly 3 0f Us Were Asked T0 Take The Raven Test. D0es Any0ne Here Kn0w Y? D0es It Mean We Are G0ing T0 Make It 0r N0t? I H0pe S0me0ne Caud Help Me 0n This Matter Because This Has Been 0n My Mind Since D Day 0f My Interview. Thanks!

smiad
17th Feb 2007, 09:34
hey matel423

Where did you do your final interview? Did you sit the psychometric test (which i think is 180 Qs)? Cause maybe the Raven test is an alternative to it?

matel423
17th Feb 2007, 10:29
Smiad, I Did The Pers0nality Test 160 Items During 0ur Assessment Day, I Think That Is The Psych0metric Test. We Had 0ur Assessment At Quez0n City, Philippines. Final Interview Was Last M0nday At Manila. That Was When They Made Me Take The Raven Test, 60 Items, Wherein Y0u Just Have T0 L00k F0r The Missing Pattern. I Think Its M0re 0f L0gic 0r Iq Test Wherein Y0u're Supp0se T0 Finish It In 45mins. And Y0u Really Have T0 Indicate The Time Y0u Started And Finished The Test. I Just Find It Weird Because 0ut 0f 7 0nly 3 0f Us Were Asked T0 Take It. Im Pretty C0ncerned Ab0ut It.

matel423
17th Feb 2007, 10:32
By The Way The Pers0nality Test 0r Psych0metric Test Was 180 Items. I Made A Mistake Earlier.

smiad
17th Feb 2007, 12:23
Gutted! Sorry mate i can't help! I sat the assessment in Dubai recently, we just had to do the psychometric test once we knew we'd gotten a final interview!It might be a further personality test, or to see how you handle pressure? Best of luck!:)

matel423
17th Feb 2007, 12:32
thanks smiad!:)

Gone U/S
20th Feb 2007, 03:21
Does anyone know what Emirates want these for??

Do we have to have full length casual shots or are they ok to be just the top half of our body??

Can we be sitting down or must we be standing up??

Any help would be greatly appreciated .... had my final interview yesterday so time is now ticking for that rejection email :ugh:

Oh and two words to describe my final interview: long and tough :ok:

Emirates. Keep Discovering.

EKHQ
20th Feb 2007, 05:06
Emirates knows how you look in formal attire, but they want casual pictures just so that they know how you look with your hair down!

Try to get a holiday picture, full length, try not to be seen smoking or with 32 beer bottles around you, preferably alone, rather than
with a group of cheesy smiling chaps.

Also remember, no sleeveless/singlets/bare chested....

Ju Ev
20th Feb 2007, 05:23
Hi people! Just wanted to share that I hav just received the famous call from the Emirates!! I was accepted, now it all depends on the medical exams. If everything goes well, I already have a flying day: april 6th!!!!!!!:p !! I'm soooo happy that I can't stop smilling, I wanted this job so badly and now I'm extremely happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, It isn't 100% until you send all the exams and get an OK from the company. The exams are very detailed, they want to check you completely, I just hope I'm healthy enough for the company's patterns.

I want to thank all the people from this Forum who had nicely answered all my questions, and helped me go through all the steps. If you have any question concearning the assessments, interview, documents etc.. fell free to ask me.

My only problem now is my scoliose. They said it must be under 30 degrees, but I have no ideia if I reach this measure or not.... :uhoh:

I will keep telling you what happens next!:p

Samya
20th Feb 2007, 09:22
Hello Everyone! I was very happy when I found this forum. As a passionate Emirates CC wannabe I found your comments very useful. I am at the beginning of the process so please keep your fingers crossed for me! And congrats to Ju Ev. :D

smiad
20th Feb 2007, 09:47
well done Ju Ev, all the best with your medicals!:)

saabfactory
20th Feb 2007, 20:58
Hey matel423, Don't worry about the final interview, if you did your best, then maybe you'll get the job! I'll pray for you!ANyway, would it matter if i wear a cream colored matching blazer and skirt? I joined the assessment last october, and we were so MANY! There were like 80 of us there. Most of us wore black blazers and skirt. So it would be really hard to be noticed.

Ju Ev
21st Feb 2007, 03:04
And good luck to you Samya!!! :ok:

sleepingbeauty
21st Feb 2007, 09:30
hello eveyrone! i had my first initial screening for emirates last week. im not yet sure if i will be eligible for the next screening though. ju_ev, congrats! can you give us more tips on how to pass the emirates screening and interviews? like what did you wear? help us and congrats! :)

Samya
21st Feb 2007, 12:22
Dear All!

I need some practical advice. I might be too thick, but I have the following problem:

I have applied online for CC position lat week. I received an acknowledgement of my application, and I understood, that I will have to wait to be contactee if I was shortlisted.

Being the impatient girl I am :), I have decided to attend the open day closest to my country, which would be the one in Prague next week-end. Now comes my dilemma: do I have to apply to the open day separately? Because it isn't obvious to me. there is a "click to apply" link given among the details of the open day... Should I resend my application by following this link? Or should I just show up with my CV (and other documents) on the big day, dressed to impress? :confused:

Another problem: I have a binding contract until the end of August, which means that the earliest I could start would be september. I have indicated this on my application...should i have postponed my application? Will I be excluded from the pool of eligibles because of this, or will I be put on hold?

Thank you very much inadvance for your help!

Cheers,

Samya

CJ30
21st Feb 2007, 12:59
Ladies and Gents.... When you recieve an invitation to attend an interview with Emirates it tells you what to wear in the letter. Follow the instructions they couldnt be clearer!!! If it tells you to wear your hair up off your face then do this dont try and be creative and wear something different with your hair down do as they ask. When you all have your uniform on you will all look the same you are not supposed to stand out...remember they want to see if you can conform and follow very very basic instructions.

There are so many threads and posts on this topic it is often helpfull if you use the search function as people are asking the same questions over and over despite us experienced crew posting replies:ugh: , and thats not to say we dont want to help, but help us by reading the answers first before posing a question as it may have been asked already.

As for photos... they dont want to see casual photos of you out and about with mates etc, make sure you are wearing a suit your hair is done properly and ladies that youre make up is done, this is the only way people back in the office who didnt meet you will get a chance to view you before possibly offering you a position so common sense tells you it should be formal. One full length and one head and shoulders.

I hope this helps

Samya
21st Feb 2007, 13:04
Thanks Ju Ev,

I do need a bit of luck. :-) But I am hopeful!

sherrie_bobbins
22nd Feb 2007, 03:24
yay! finally an open day here in brisbane on march 10th.

Anyone else going for the chance of a lifetime ?

Just a question, ive tried to register on the emirates website, yet it just takes me back to my application. is this normal ?

Good luck to everyone going. il keep you updated !

thanks for all your support

skyla
22nd Feb 2007, 04:16
Dear all,
first of all i would really like to thank you all for the usefull information you proivide to those wishing to join the emirates team, well done and keep up the good work :D

back to myself, I have been successfull throughout all of the stages during the open day held by emirates in my country. I also had the final interview ( one to one/ some 45 mins ) plus i gave provided them with all the documents pics ect.... what i would like to know is whether, a not so good performance can affect the final decision from dubai.
also, is it possible that despite the fact that one is successfull till the end, he/she might not be accepted from dubai ?
say 10 ppl have made it till the end, how many would normaly get the job, what would the ratio be ?
if anyone can give me an idea, i would be realy glad to get some piece of mind coz i've been waiting so long for this to happen that it's making me feel realy anxoius and worried :uhoh:

thank you all,
all the best of luck to those willing to give it a try
and congrats to those who made it :)

thealine
22nd Feb 2007, 04:32
Hi! After the final interview, if you have completed all the documents, it'll take 2-3 weeks for EK to reply. If you have not passed the final interview, they will let you know through e-mail ( there are people who fails the final interview for whatever reason). If you have passed, they will send you through e-mail the medical requirements and they will call you after to discuss the medical process and let you know your departure date. Once you have submitted the medical results, if you have passed, EK will send you the contract a week before your departure. They will send you a reject on the other hand if you have failed the med exam.
There is no ratio whatever on who can pass.. what matters is that applicants passes all their standards, if everyone passes that's fine.
Hope this clarifies things. Patience is a virtue, keep on waiting they'll let you know whatever the outcome is..it just takes time. Goodluck!

isagatuslao
22nd Feb 2007, 07:20
hi skyla,

thanks for the information you have posted, i am waiting for their phone call/email as well as to whether or not ive passed the final interview. quick question: where do they hold their medical exams here in manila? or can i choose my own doctors? what do they check during the medical exams? thanks!

Isabel

skyla
22nd Feb 2007, 14:57
dear isabel,
emirates will contact you letting you know whether you passed or failed. if you pass they will send all the medical forms required to be filled in such as general check ups, x rays, dental check up, amongst others. those you will have to do in your own country before heading to dubai. you will have to find doctor/s to complete the relevant required data and of course you will incurr all the expenses ( make sure you have same cash available :) ) after you have completed all the forms you will fly to dubai and you will have to sit for others medicals which emirtaes will pay for. this is for them to verify and confirm that the medicals you did in your country are genuine and accurate.

how the info is usefull

regards
skyla

skyla
22nd Feb 2007, 15:14
the final line was meant to be :

" hope the info is useful " :p

skyla
22nd Feb 2007, 15:32
yes you are very right, patience is a virtue, but when you have been waiting for this all your life and you're just on step away for making your life-long dream come true, well a month seems to be an eternity :p

i know i did very well throughout all the previous stages, but the final interview was a bit dodgy, the questions were very tricky + i was very limited in time as she was asking me to tell about various situations in my previous job experinces and then would tell me to cut a story short. i was still very calm and kept smiling all the way thorugh ( it's natural me :) ) but at the same time i got this negative feeling, that she wasn't very satisfied with my stories. so i was wondering whether the last performance could compromise the entire process, hope not :{. we'll wait and see.

another thing which is troubleing me is that it was 20 of us who made it to the final interviews ( very glad about this fact coz all 20 are wonderful ppl and was so nice to get to know them all) whenever emirates hold an open day in malta they select a very small number of candidates, 2,5, 8 maximum, and this time it was a very large group, so was wondering whether they are realy willing to take us all. i hope they do coz everyone did very well and they are all great ppl and suitable for the job. the recruitment officers told us there is no limit on how many they intend to take but i'm a bit sceptical and afraid that perhaps half of the group won't make it due to the large number of successfull candidates.
hope my reasoning is wrong :)

isagatuslao
23rd Feb 2007, 03:59
thank you skyla!!! great help indeed! im just getting so impatient i swear!

thealine
23rd Feb 2007, 04:08
don't worry.. if all the 20 are qualified, they will take all.. goodluck!

smiad
23rd Feb 2007, 07:28
i got my call!! I am so stoked, more than stoked actually!! has anyone done the medicals? Do you know how long the results can take?? thanks!!

Best of luck to everyone going through the process!

Ju Ev
24th Feb 2007, 14:02
Well done smiad!!:D

The results depend on the place you do nd on your health system. I advise you to do it right away. I have already done my HIV and hemoglobine test and in Brazil it took 3 days to get ready...:uhoh:
So, start making appointments now and good luck!! ī

ps:. I'm sooooo afraid I don't make through this stage.... GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!

EKwannabe
25th Feb 2007, 10:23
smiad and ju Ev,
ive finished my medicals..
honestly they are really simple..
the only issue here is to get appointments from the doctors...
my joining date is second week in april!
cant wait.

saabfactory
25th Feb 2007, 11:37
Hello all!

Would emirates be very particular with the number of fillings you have on your teeth? Ex. I have fillings on at least three of my molars... But my teeth look good since they're straight and white. hehe

Thanks! Hope you can enlighten me, :)

skyla
25th Feb 2007, 20:29
hi there, one question if you don't mind, how long did it take, from the moment you finished your final interview till you got the famous call from dubai ? ( approval/rejection)
they told us it would take 4 to 6 weeks, but was just wondering whether it could be earlier than that, as i realy can't wait until they contact me :(

regards
skyla

vittoria01
25th Feb 2007, 20:53
Hi there, I am new to this forum, decided to check it out as I have an invite to a 'preliminaryselection process' in March with Emirates. I am not sure if this is an open day or an interview? Any answers and some advice please

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 02:09
hi im going for an interview in 2 weeks i need help in wot to do :rolleyes:

smiad
26th Feb 2007, 02:13
thanks EKWANNABE!i start on april 8th, pending med results ofcourse. we might be together?:D

Skyla, it took them 2 weeks to reply which was amazingly fast after some of the posts i'd read! Good luck!:)

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 02:15
Can you tell me wot went on in the open day so i will know wot to do i really want this job its my dream to be a cabin crew for emirates:)

smiad
26th Feb 2007, 02:24
hey alicia,

The open day is essentially where you get 5 minutes to sell your self and hand over your cv, and ask a few q's about the company. If they like you they call you back for the assessment day.

Its all so nerve wracking when its something you really want, but just stay positive, and RELAX!:)

Good luck!

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 02:44
Hi wot can of q's about the company?? and is the test hard?? and do you have to write a esay??:rolleyes:

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 02:46
Hi,

Wot do you have to wear should i wear red top wot about make-up:rolleyes:

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 02:48
HI,

sorry for asking all this q's but wot do you do on the assessment day?

BYMONEK
26th Feb 2007, 02:53
The first thing they'll ask you to do is spell the word 'what'. If you can't manage that, then it will not matter 'wot' colour top you wear ! :E

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 02:58
why whould they ask you to spell the word what??:rolleyes:

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 03:00
Hahahahahaha very funny.N:=ot

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 03:26
Is any 1 from new zealand??:)

tool76
26th Feb 2007, 03:57
good luck see ya there

BYMONEK
26th Feb 2007, 04:02
Bright, isn't she! :rolleyes:

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 04:25
Y you have to be negative and rude to me i'm trying to ask question to help me get the job if you have not thing good to say say noting at all
:hmm:Mr bymonek

EKwannabe
26th Feb 2007, 05:20
He ha!
that was funny..

helfsich
26th Feb 2007, 07:48
What you need to do is look at the official Emirates Careers website. They explain everything in there from conditions offered to life in Dubai and include a few tips for the interview.

Next you should look at the older posts on this thread. It's a goldmine of information, however keep in mind that events that happen in recuitment sessions in Europe or Asia aren't neccessarily the same as they would be for Australia and New Zealand.

The best advice I can give you is to come up with some examples from your current job of difficult situations. Difficult customers, taking initiative, examples of leadership, working in a team etc. It doesn't make too much of a difference whether or not you have had aviation experience in the past, they mainly look at how well you present yourself, how you interact with other people and how good a work ethic you may have. Also try to get both written and phone-in references lined up in time.

The assessment days consist of group activities and discussion which you can't really prepare for. They see how well you interact with others in your group. Afterwards if you pass that stage you get this lovely psychometric test (I think that is what it's called). A choice example - Sheep is to lamb as _____ is to veal.

Try to keep your clothing conservative - nothing sleveless, and nothing that would show too much cleavage. Natural coloured hair colour, conservative makeup, as well as clean and well manicured nails.

I hope that helps, and best of luck.

(BTW I do agree with BYMONEK, after seeing 7 'wot's it starts to grate after a while.)

alicia123
26th Feb 2007, 08:21
Thanks for that :):):)

vittoria01
26th Feb 2007, 08:23
Hi does anybody know how much the prelim selections differ in South Africa and could somebody pls tell me what this prelim selection process is that I recieved an email to attend. Is it an open day or an interview??:confused: Another question I have is that I wear glasses but do have contacts (which I hardly wear) but I am seeing eyesight as being an issue in some of the forums. Is it a bad idea to wear my glasses to this 'prelim selection process'. thanx

BURBERRY'S
26th Feb 2007, 09:47
HEY ANYONE INTRESTED IN THIS LITTLE PIECE OF INFO..
AIR HOSTESS ACADEMY HOLDS INTERVIEWS FOR EMIRATES IN INDIA...UNFORTUNATELY ONLY PEOPLE WHO JOIN A.H.A ARE THE SELECTED CANDIDATES.
RECENTLY THEY HELD INTERVIEWS IN JAIPUR AND REJECTED 42 PEOPLE....THE WALK-IN WAS AN ABSOLUTE FARCE.....EXPERIENCED CREW FROM BA & VIRGIN ATLANTIC WHO ARE BASED IN INDIA WERE REJECTED.THE FUNNY PART IS THAT EMIRATES RECRUITMENT STAFF WERE NOT EVEN AROUND TO CHECK WHAT A.H.A WERE DOING.
SERIOUSLY THINKING OF E-MAILING SOMEONE AT EMIRATES AND INFORMING THEM ABOUR THIS JOKE OF AN INTERVIEW....DOES ANYONE HAVE AN E-MAIL I.D I COULD FOWARD THIS COMPLAINT TO?
UNTIL THEN JUST A PIECE OF ADVISE...DO NOT GO FOR EMIRATES INTERVIEWS HELD IN INDIA...IT IS A SERIOUS WASTE OF TIME:=

skyla
26th Feb 2007, 13:13
thanks smiad, i realy hope they get in touch asap, i managed to give them all the docs and pics before they left malta, so this perhaps might shorten the decision process:).

ps.

does anyone know if the result of the psychometric test can comprise the overall performance and thus causing one to be rejected ??

helfsich
26th Feb 2007, 15:52
I don't know whether they will reject you based on the psychometric test, as it's part general knowledge, part IQ, part personality. But I do know that regardless as to whether you get the job or not you can request a copy or a report on the test from recruitment. They give contact details after the test.

I didn't request a copy after mine, so I don't know the specific details, but I do know they offer the service. I guess it would be handy to have if you make it to the final interview but don't get the position and are still keen to apply later on.

sherrie_bobbins
1st Mar 2007, 06:19
hi brisbaneemirates,

im also going to the open day in Brisbane on march 10. ive heard that emirates recruit heavily here in australia, but i hope its not going to be a circus, im going to get there early in case there is a huge line come 9am.

Good luck, and i'll see you there!

Samya
2nd Mar 2007, 12:34
Hi Everyone,

I have applied to Emirates on-line a couple of weeks ago and apart from the acknowledgement of my application I have not received an answer yet. :sad: I know I must be patient, they receive a billion applications each month, but meantime I have started assessing my application and I wonder if the reason why my application might have been rejected was my pic. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so I posted a photo of myself from my holiday last summer. Background is dark, but not plain, and I am wearing long black pants and a short sleeved black top. I wonder if the pic. was considered inappropriate...on the web site it didn't say that the photo had to be taken in business attire, and I figured, that this pic would do for the initial screening, an I planned to have a professonal photo taken for the assessment if I am invited. It is now, that I am a reader of PPRUNE, that I started thinking, that I should have had a professional photo taken in business attire the first place. :uhoh:

Well, anyways, I still have hope, and if I am rejected I'll try again, more prepared I guess, thanks to you guys! This forum is so much help! :ok:

Kisses,

Samya

geetha
2nd Mar 2007, 13:31
Samya:
It would be better if you get professional photographs done and post them on your application. I stay in dubai... and here most of the times it's CV drop off days... where we get to drop off our Cv's + snaps at their career centre. I know 2 people who were sent back home because they didn't have professional snaps done.
so , to be on the safer side... its better u change that snap on your application and post a professional one.

geetha
2nd Mar 2007, 13:37
BURBERRY'S:

Even I've heard the same thing about the recruitments that take place in India... but dont know how far it's true.... but to think of it... how ridiculous !
have you emailed Ek as yet? I'm sure you would find some contact info on their website.

Samya
2nd Mar 2007, 13:44
Thanks geetha! I'll change the pictures on my application. I hope it is not too late to do that, since I have already submitted it... Well, I'll do it anyway, it won't hurt I guess. :) At least I'll have some professional shots for the future.

Thank You for the advice!

Cheers,

Samya

Ju Ev
2nd Mar 2007, 17:20
Hello everybody!

I like this forum very much, I have been following and participating for more than 2 months.

I would like to give an advice to the new people of the forum. To do something that I did before start to participate, or ask questions.

READ ALL THE INFORMATION FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTS!

They might answer most of your questions, and even more- they will give you a very good view of the hole process, stages, situations.

And it is good to the forum too, since it won't be repeating and repeting something that has been previously answered. :)

Good luck to all of us!

Ju Ev

Ju Ev
2nd Mar 2007, 17:24
My first picture was casual. I changed for a formal picture, but on the day of my interview this one was not accepted. So I changed again for a professional taken. Don't worry about it, but do it as soon as possible:ok: