PDA

View Full Version : A320:hyd

gearpins
5th Jan 2007, 13:53
Hello everyone,
Trying to come to grips with A320 hyd sys.:}
wonder why the B sys pump sw is guarded on the over head panel:confused:

can any one help? appriciate all inputs,thanks!:)

Fargoo
5th Jan 2007, 16:25
Because blue system hydraulics is automated to energise when configuration requires it.
The switch on the overhead panel is to allow for manual operation when aircraft is in a config that it wouldn't come on automatically (ie maintenance).

oogrooq
5th Jan 2007, 16:39
Blue has no backup like Y and G sys. Mistakenly selected off could cause some heartburn. So like most of the system's, if the switch is critical or ir-revokeable, put a guard on it that requires confirmation of the action.

Or as Sam tells me...it's a follow through from the A300's system.

Nelli
5th Jan 2007, 20:42
The guarded pushbutton for blue pump on the overhead maintenance panel does not have an OFF function.
The button says blue pump ovrd, meaning that the button overrides the automatic function and as Fargoo pointed out, it can be used for maintenance purposes, for example.

fantom
5th Jan 2007, 21:27
Because blue system hydraulics is automated to energise when configuration requires it.

Rubbish. It is on all the time. Read the books.

Sorry; should have added:
I believe it is guarded because there will be nothing to replace it if you (mistakenly) turn the elec pump off. If you turn Y or G Eng pump off, the PTU will provide.

gearpins
5th Jan 2007, 22:28
would the rat get deployed if you switch off the Blue system pump?.
(I am refering to the switch on the Hyd panel and not the Blue Pump OVRD switch on the maint panel)

Wrongstuff
5th Jan 2007, 22:41
fantom, re-read the book Fargoo is right.
gearpins, No.

IFixPlanes
6th Jan 2007, 04:16
The electric pump starts automatically when one of the engines is started. It then operates continuously until the two engines are stopped.

Blue ELEC PUMP pb-switch
”AUTO” ( pb switch in )
● In flight:
- with the BLUE ELEC PUMP pushbutton at AUTO and AC power available, the electric pump operates.
● On Ground:
- the electrical pump is energized, provided one engine is running ,or
- the Blue Pump OVRD pb switch on the 50VU is pushed in.

”OFF”( pb switch out )
● OFF illuminates white
● the pump is de-energized
● deactivates the FAULT LT except at overheat-conditions.

gearpins
6th Jan 2007, 09:20
still trying to figure out why blue pump sw is guarded and not the green or yellow?:bored:

BitMoreRightRudder
6th Jan 2007, 10:20
As I see it, the pb is guarded as it would not be desirable in an ops normal situation to turn off the blue system pump for the reasons given by IFixPlanes. I am assuming to turn off the pump is NOT as irreversible action however, so whether or not you would need crew confirmation when operating the pb, as is required with any other guarded sw, is another question!

Fargoo
6th Jan 2007, 14:41
It's guarded because you don't want someone accidentally turning on the blue pump on the ground when someone is working on the aircraft.

As for my first reply being rubbish, I don't need to read the books as I work on them day in day out. I am correct :ugh:

fantom
6th Jan 2007, 14:57
Fargoo, relax. The o'head panel sw is an OFF sw, not an ON one. Nothing will happen if you poke it on the ground.
The maint sw is different; we are not talking about that, however.
You are confusing the switches, I fear.
Now let's all be friends.

Fargoo
6th Jan 2007, 15:10
Yep, I see I have gone off on a tangent.
What a plum :O
I was talking about the blue pump override sw, forgot about t'other one :ugh:

fantom
6th Jan 2007, 15:12
Now, 99% of posters here will not reply like that (me included).
I congratulate you. I mean it.

Fargoo
6th Jan 2007, 15:18
I feel a bit of a plonker to be honest but don't agree with going back and editing old posts to make myself look better.
Poor old Gearpins is probably totally confused now :O
Ta for your reply fantom :ok:

spannersatcx
6th Jan 2007, 15:25
I believe that the guard was added by airbus after someone at the pointy end operated it by mistake.

By putting a guard over the switch it then has to be a 'positive' action required to operate the said switch. i.e. are you sure you really want to press this switch?

Speevy
6th Jan 2007, 16:01
Sorry guys to add more confusion..
The overhead Blue override button (on the maintanance panel) is gaurded, ok I get this one and its function:
i.e. when you have to retract the flaps on stand and you will select the yellow and then the blue elec pump on by checking blue elec switch on auto pos on the hyd panel and blue override on the maintanaince panel)..
But the blue elec pump switch on the Hyd panel is not garded, the Rat yeas but that's a different story.
And its position in light off conf (normal pos) is auto with OFF in white light and Fault in Amber.
So in my opinion the 3 pump swithces on the hyd panel are all the same with a different switch on the maintanaice panel, garded but with a different function..
Correct?
Speevy

Speevy
7th Jan 2007, 18:03
Sorry..
checked today on hyd panel, I was wrong: the blue elec pump it's garded...
Speevy

gearpins
7th Jan 2007, 23:52
how about 330,340 etc? is it the same? can anyone through some light on it?

glhcarl
8th Jan 2007, 00:46
While I have no experience on the A320, I do know the reason some switches are guarded and some are not. Systems with guarded switches have no back up so it is protected to prevent inadvertent selection.

gearpins
8th Jan 2007, 01:00
thats right switches like rat, ditching pb, idg pb etc...
But for some reason(which is what i am trying to find out) B hyd pump sw is also guarded while the G & Y are not.
is it the proximity to the fuel x-feed which is right above it?
speculating is not some thing I am comfortable with:*

fantom
8th Jan 2007, 09:12
As I wrote earlier, if you mistakenly sw off the B, you will lose the B hyd sys immediately. You can, of course, switch it on again if you want. If you switch off the G or Y pump sw, you will not lose either sys because the PTU will backup (provided there is fluid). So, guard the sw to pause and ensure you really want to switch it off.

Daggles
9th Jan 2007, 20:19
There are 2 blue pump switches. The one in the HYD overhead panel will turn off the blue pump, even in flight and no the RAT will not deploy! This switch is not guarded!

Blue Pump override in Maint panel (Guarded)

As it's name suggests if you push this the Blue pump will be activated, where it would not be normally - So on the ground without engines running setting the blue pump to OVERRIDE will power up blue HYD and then things like FLAPS/SLATS, FLIGHT CONTROLS all become powered and able to move and create damage if not kill. Setting this to off, will turn off the pump if both your engines are off and you are on the ground.

This is why the yellow electric pump is also guarded! You are simply powering the flight controls and SLAT/FLAPS creating danger, which should be assessed from outside the aircraft before powering these systems.

Hence the call on interphone "Confirm clear to pressurize?"

IFixPlanes
10th Jan 2007, 03:44
There are 2 blue pump switches. The one in the HYD overhead panel will turn off the blue pump, even in flight and no the RAT will not deploy! This switch is not guarded!
Blue Pump override in Maint panel (Guarded)
As it's name suggests if you push this the Blue pump will be activated, where it would not be normally - So on the ground without engines running setting the blue pump to OVERRIDE will power up blue HYD and then things like FLAPS/SLATS, FLIGHT CONTROLS all become powered and able to move and create damage if not kill. Setting this to off, will turn off the pump if both your engines are off and you are on the ground.
This is why the yellow electric pump is also guarded! You are simply powering the flight controls and SLAT/FLAPS creating danger, which should be assessed from outside the aircraft before powering these systems.
Hence the call on interphone "Confirm clear to pressurize?"
Sorry but:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1063035/L

Daggles
10th Jan 2007, 04:47
Yes you are right. The yellow electric pump is not guarded, however I have the latest FCOM which indicates it is! Will have another look at work tomorrow! By the way the blue pump control on the HYD panel is guarded see your own referred picture!
Oh well, I maintain the blue pump override located onthe maint panel is guarded due to the possible powering of Flight controls etc on the ground.
Unfortunately this does raise the question of the guard on the blue pump PB located on the HYD panel. I know for a fact you can turn that on and off and you only loose the blue system. Not a biggy unless you were already down one HYD system.
The effects of turning it off are fully recovered by turning back on - so why the guard on this one? I think I will go with fantom's idea!

glhcarl
10th Jan 2007, 15:22
Yes you are right. The yellow electric pump is not guarded, however I have the latest FCOM which indicates it is! Will have another look at work tomorrow! By the way the blue pump control on the HYD panel is guarded see your own referred picture!
Oh well, I maintain the blue pump override located onthe maint panel is guarded due to the possible powering of Flight controls etc on the ground.
Unfortunately this does raise the question of the guard on the blue pump PB located on the HYD panel. I know for a fact you can turn that on and off and you only loose the blue system. Not a biggy unless you were already down one HYD system.
The effects of turning it off are fully recovered by turning back on - so why the guard on this one? I think I will go with fantom's idea!
Again I know nothing about A320's. Is the panel in the picture considered a maintenance panel? It looks a lot loke the pilots overhead panels I have seen on many other aircraft. Shouldn't a maintenance panel be somewhere where maintenance personal can get to it, not the flight crew.

IFixPlanes
10th Jan 2007, 18:34
Again I know nothing about A320's. Is the panel in the picture considered a maintenance panel? It looks a lot loke the pilots overhead panels I have seen on many other aircraft. Shouldn't a maintenance panel be somewhere where maintenance personal can get to it, not the flight crew.
Here is the maintenance panel:
http://www.meriweather.com/320/aft/maint.html

glhcarl
11th Jan 2007, 00:02
Here is the maintenance panel:
http://www.meriweather.com/320/aft/maint.html
Where is this panel located, not in the flight station I assume?

IFixPlanes
11th Jan 2007, 04:21
Where is this panel located, not in the flight station I assume?
In the Cockpit:
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1148/50vuiu1.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50vuiu1.jpg)

Nelli
12th Jan 2007, 06:57
To tell it in words, the maintenance panel is on the overhed panel but it's far up. Out of easy reach for pilots when they are sitting down in their seats.
And as for the yellow electric pump switch, at least on our planes it's not guarded.
I think the last 320 series plane was delivered around september 04 with a serial 2200 and something.