PDA

View Full Version : Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)

Pages : 1 [2]

Ebow
30th Jul 2007, 16:41
This has been, or is, one of the greatest threads I've read in a long time thanks to the very personal and honest posts.
This is thread should be handed out at every CRM course in aviation. Come to think of it not only in the aviation community but far beyond.

My sincere admiration to the posters like Lyle and for what it's worth: I'd fly right seat with you anytime of the day.

Ebow

bravic2007
3rd Aug 2007, 09:03
Alcoholism is problem of society..pilots because of our professional needs have to free of alcohol... I genuinely believe no pilots attempts to be drunk before a flight ...The first time you get caught should be enough of a warning for your conscience...The second time .. Shame on you... One chance should be given second one i think is a no no ... Punishments vary worldwide >We had a case where a f/o doing command training turned up sozzled for sims The instructor promptly stopped his command training and made sure he reverted back to f/o status ...If you get caught the shame and the time off should be good enough... Second time ....:ugh:

M609
4th Sep 2007, 19:21
A pilot from Ukraine International Airlines was arrested at Stockholm Arlanda today, after airport staff reported that his breath smelled heavily of alcohol.

He was arrested on board the 737 bound for Teneriffe suspected of violating the Swedish Aviation Law according to the Stockholm police department.

I guess it's down to the blood test now.

It's probably politically incorrect, but in Scandinavia at least, CIS crews are a bit overrepresented in cases like this. (My opinion obviously)
So far article in Swedish
http://www.aftonbladet.se/stockholm/article704626.ab

flybynight1
5th Sep 2007, 12:40
Just a quick Q...do they require pilots in Europe to undergo pre-employment and random drug tests as well as alcohol testing?? same for PAX and Cargo??

Ignition Override
8th Sep 2007, 04:00
Mr Prouse: Good evening Sir.

I posted my views here just before I discovered yours.

Your survival during a year in a Very Bad Place and your subsequent recovery earned my respect years ago: not just the fact that you earned all of your ratings, beginning with the Private Pilot license from scratch.

This was posted before I saw your name (to my great surprise):

Many on Pprune are surprisingly ignorant of the fact that a number of pilots with a drinking problem can (if done correctly), with the quiet support of many airlines, return to the c0ckpit. The NAPAP volunteers have a difficult job, from what I can tell.

This is a very clear indication that said Ppruners have no close contacts with working airline pilots, by whom they might become enlightened.

Many years ago at some airlines, the lack of a confidential, complex program which allows some to return to flying, gave some pilots absolutely No incentive to deal with the problem in a progressive way. This gave pilots a very strong incentive to tell nobody.

You never stick your head up if it will be knocked off, in the professional sense.
Many are still in the Dark Ages and believe, as stated by someone else, that alcoholism is a character fault. Dark Age thinking, as with our friends the Taliban. Some have a genetic predisposition.

lowbypass
1st Oct 2007, 07:09
chuck...you summarised it all...BIG UP...:ok: