PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump sounds

Brian304
1st Dec 2006, 17:33
Dear all

What is wrong with the light aircraft if the fuel pump starts having a loud sound and the engine won't start? also how can I resolve this?

thanks

Brian304:rolleyes:

On-MarkBob
1st Dec 2006, 17:39
You need to be a little more specific. What is the aircraft type? what is your engine type and model? Do you know what type of fuel pump you have got?

Brian304
1st Dec 2006, 17:41
well its a TB10, I don't know about the fuel pump and engine. But it was making large sounds after I started the engine up, then suddenly the engine speed went down, leading at the end the engine to stop for no reason.

Brian304

stevef
1st Dec 2006, 18:28
That makes it a Lycoming 0360, I think. I take it you're talking about the electrical pump making the noise, not the engine-driven diaphragm pump. We need some more information. What 'large' sound did you hear? Was it a rattle or grinding noise? Do you get any indication on the fuel pressure gauge when you switch the pump on?
Once the engine has started, it doesn't need the electrical pump to keep the engine running, which makes me suspect the fuel supply (the noise could be the sound of the pump suddenly running off load).

On-MarkBob
1st Dec 2006, 21:53
Stevef is talking some sense, you need to positively identify the noise. If the aircraft has been recently runing ok then the engine's own mechanical pump should sustain it once started. Obviously we assume there is fuel in the tanks and that it has been turned on!
It's been some time since I worked on a TB10, is it the retractable gear version? I say this because the hydraulic gear motor will sometimes run if the aircraft has been standing for a while or if the system has a leak or is low on fluid.
I also can't remember if the fuel pump was a rotary pump or a reciprocating type (Bendix type). The bendix type reciprocating pump makes a ticking sound, rapidly at first then just a tic, tic, tic, type noise when it is up to pressure. A rotating pump makes a whirring noise.
Can you also tell us what noise it used to make? The more detail you can give, the better chance of identifying the problem.

stevef
6th Dec 2006, 17:54
Always good to get some feedback.

kissmysquirrel
6th Dec 2006, 20:43
This might sound like the bleedin obvious but is there fuel in it?
Empty pumps can be noisy and the engine might run on what was lying in manifold initially then be starved. Only a thought.

NutLoose
6th Dec 2006, 23:43
A loudish ticking noise means its not pumping anything ie not under load, so either the mixture is closed when you turn on the pump or the fuel is off or you have dry tanks......... when you get fuel to the pump and a flow the ticking noise should reduce after a few moments, do you not have a fuel pressure gauge/flow too as per a PA28?

chksix
7th Dec 2006, 12:45
Clogged fuel filters can make the pump cavitate and that sound like it's pumping sand or something.

(Disclaimer: That's what happens on my ship when we pump cold heavy fuel oil. I'm not an aviator.)