PDA

View Full Version : Upper airways.

gingernut
10th Nov 2006, 16:45
Nothing more interesting than staring up from my Manchester home trying to identify high flying aircraft, contrails a blazing.

Who do these chaps talk to, and what type of service do they recieve. And what information do they pass/recieve?

DTY/LKS
10th Nov 2006, 17:52
Overhead Manchester you will have S29 which is located at Manchester Area Control Centre up to FL295 & above that you will have sector 3 (FL285-335) and then sector 4 (FL335+) which both form part of Lakes sector which is situated down at London Area Control Centre at Swanwick. All of these aircraft are in Controlled Airspace & are therefore in reciept of a Radar Control Service. A general mix of traffic including domestic traffic between the Scottish TMA & London TMA & visa versa. Also Transatlantic traffic both eastbound & Westbound.
Hope this helps. Any more info needed?

gingernut
11th Nov 2006, 18:49
Thanks DTY that explains things.

Pierre Argh
12th Nov 2006, 18:01
Gingernut... excuse me be slightly pedantic, but as you're interested you might accept my minor correction to your terminology. There are no "Upper Airways" above Manchester. In the UK airways are only established in the middle and lower airspace, Above FL245 (currently but about to change) slightly different rules apply, in that that all airspace is regulated so there is no need to established corridors, therefore you only need "Upper Air Routes"

Increasing amounts of traffic these days is "off route" (especially at off-peak times, but probably not over Manchester I will admit)... but that's a whole new topic?

BDiONU
12th Nov 2006, 18:04
excuse me be slightly pedantic, but as you're interested you might accept my minor correction to your terminology. There are no "Upper Airways" above Manchester. In the UK airways are only established in the middle and lower airspace, Above FL245 (currently but about to change) slightly different rules apply, in that that all airspace is regulated so there is no need to established corridors, therefore you only need "Upper Air Routes"
Or, to be ultra pedantic, CDR's (Conditional Routes) ;)

BD

BEXIL160
12th Nov 2006, 18:26
Question: Since when have all Upper ATS routes been CDRs?

BEX

BDiONU
12th Nov 2006, 18:56
Question: Since when have all Upper ATS routes been CDRs?
Since never, the point I was attempting to make was that there are Upper Air Routes AND CDR's ;)

BD

MancBoy
12th Nov 2006, 21:02
Bex and BD, you need to have a few beers together!!

UNDERTHEROSUN1F
14th Nov 2006, 13:16
ginger,you need to invest in a scanner and all will be revealed ..

Widger
14th Nov 2006, 15:23
If you are going to be pedantic...then CDRs ARE upper air routes and those that exist below FL245 ARE airways. You should not think of CDRs as entities in their own right but purely in terms of flight planning. Can you flight plan down them or not!

Don't get into an argument with me on this one!!!! Trust me...Don't!!!!:p :E :ok:

BDiONU
14th Nov 2006, 16:57
If you are going to be pedantic...then CDRs ARE upper air routes and those that exist below FL245 ARE airways. You should not think of CDRs as entities in their own right but purely in terms of flight planning. Can you flight plan down them or not!
You can flight plan down CDR's when they're available but the availability varies. Unlike Upper Air Routes which are available ;)

Don't get into an argument with me on this one!!!! Trust me...Don't!!!!:p :E :ok:
Aaaww go on, seem to have reached agreement in the NATS pensions thread with both 'sides' of the argument agreeing that "They're not touching our pensions" ;) I need to kick off somewhere else now :}

BD

Pierre Argh
14th Nov 2006, 19:36
Who started the "Pedants Revolt"
Whom Tyler
http://www.britannia.com/history/articles/images/peasants.jpg

Widger
16th Nov 2006, 15:35
The point is....Most UARs are permanent routes and some are CDRs, Most Airways are permanent routes and some are CDRs. CDRs and Airways/UARS are not mutually exclusive, just the flight planning aspect. On permanent routes you can flight plan all the time. On CDRs only some of the time. Anyway BDiONU and Peirre don't argue with me, I know where both of you live Shippers!!!:ok:

Pierre Argh
17th Nov 2006, 14:03
don't argue with me Widger, as if I would... but I've moved!

gingernut
24th Dec 2006, 23:00
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry about the terminology, anything over 3000 foot is upper airways to me! (Usually over the Chorley Lakes)

ginger,you need to invest in a scanner and all will be revealed ..

I guess I could have rephrased my question-"what frequency would I listen in on?" but of course that would be illegal.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
28th Dec 2006, 09:55
Illegal only if you record it or re-broadcast it. The Frequencies are public knowledge and appear in the UK Air Pilot (sorry, Aeronautical Information Publication) at;
http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/enrdata.htm .