PDA

View Full Version : ILS DME tuning in the A300

cornwallis
26th Oct 2006, 17:05
The A300 with (sperry)Honeywell fms will allow manual tuning of vor dme for display on the RMI.How do you display ILS DME?The fms appears to reject any ils entry and selection of the nav switch to ILS does not always guarantee ILS DME display on the PFD.
How do you get around this problem?

hetfield
28th Oct 2006, 06:14
- NAV Selector to "VOR"
- Tune the respective ILS frequency
- Read ILS DME on PFD

regards

BEagle
28th Oct 2006, 07:54
During an ILS approach, the ILS/DME is autotuned by the FMS and the ILS/DME distance is displayed in the lower left corner of both PFD. The 'nav switch' on the EFIS secondary control panel must be set to ILS.

Setting the switch to VOR will enable you to tune VOR/DME stations using the VOR frequency controller, but not, as far as I'm aware, ILS/DME frequencies.

hetfield
28th Oct 2006, 08:03
During an ILS approach, the ILS/DME is autotuned by the FMS and the ILS/DME distance is displayed in the lower left corner of both PFD. The 'nav switch' on the EFIS secondary control panel must be set to ILS.

Setting the switch to VOR will enable you to tune VOR/DME stations using the VOR frequency controller, but not, as far as I'm aware, ILS/DME frequencies.

- Basicly correct. At some airports e.g. ATH it doesn't work that way
- ILS frequ. can be tuned in the VOR ctrl pnl

regards

cornwallis
28th Oct 2006, 15:03
I was very familiar with all of the above,the problem is that the old bus can be very loath to display it on the pfd,and the fms will not allow any manual tuning on the prog page of ils.
I am talking about the A300-600 series with efis and honeywell fms.

hetfield
28th Oct 2006, 18:37
I am talking about the A300-600 series with efis and honeywell fms.

Me too.....

cornwallis
28th Oct 2006, 20:54
Hetfield ,so if you are doing a cat3, how do you get the ILs dme up if the bus has decided not to show you on the pfd?With the Smiths fms you could cdu tune it to display it on the rmi,but this is not possible with the honeywell as it only allows vor's on the prog page to be remote tuned.
Also there are a few non-precision approaches that use the ils dme for step down fixes( Manchester springs to mind).Again what do you do if the dme does not display on the pfd.Do you store the dme as a new navaid and will it display it??

hetfield
29th Oct 2006, 06:31
Hetfield ,so if you are doing a cat3, how do you get the ILs dme up if the bus has decided not to show you on the pfd?With the Smiths fms you could cdu tune it to display it on the rmi,but this is not possible with the honeywell as it only allows vor's on the prog page to be remote tuned.
Also there are a few non-precision approaches that use the ils dme for step down fixes( Manchester springs to mind).Again what do you do if the dme does not display on the pfd.Do you store the dme as a new navaid and will it display it??

- NAV Selector to "VOR"
- Tune the respective ILS frequency in the VOR ctl pnl
- Read ILS DME on PFD

For Cat 3 you should do that only at start of final descent cause on the respective PFD you have no ILS indication

regards

cornwallis
29th Oct 2006, 09:40
what about if you are given a speed restriction such as maintain 160kt to 4nm?

hetfield
29th Oct 2006, 09:53
what about if you are given a speed restriction such as maintain 160kt to 4nm?

- prog page
- bearing/dist, e.g. EGLL27L

regards