PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight requirements PPL

lossiemouth
24th Oct 2006, 18:41
Am coming back to private flying after about 20 years away! What are the differences in the eye test from the old PPL, and the new JAR PPL?

Whilst here, if I'm too blind for the JAR, I presume I could go for the NPPL, but that would exclude trips over to France ?

Finally, anyone know of a decent club at Aberdeen.

Humaround
24th Oct 2006, 23:16
edited......

tangovictor
25th Oct 2006, 00:33
lossie, buy a fixed wing microlight, you can then fly with a nppl m to Europe, no probs, and they are cheaper to run, just as fast,

DRJAD
25th Oct 2006, 09:03
For Medical you might want to look in the Medical forum, but for a Class 2 Medical the current requirements are no more than +5.0 to -8.0 dioptres of correction (including astigmatism - add the two numbers on your prescription together, e.g. Left Eye -5.00 Refractive Error and -1.00 Astigmatism gives -6.00). You also can't have more than 3.00 dioptres of astigmatism.
The CAA pushed hard to liberalise the requirements from the original initial of -5.00, so they deserve some praise!
See here for all the details :
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=538

Are you not talking of anisometropia, rather than astigmatism?

lossiemouth
25th Oct 2006, 11:19
lossie, buy a fixed wing microlight, you can then fly with a nppl m to Europe, no probs, and they are cheaper to run, just as fast,

Wanted to carry four people. I presume that rules out the microlight route?:8

IO540
25th Oct 2006, 13:38
If you want to carry 4 average UK sized people plus yourself, you also need a helluva big plane :) A 6-seater at least.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Oct 2006, 17:11
Am coming back to private flying after about 20 years away! What are the differences in the eye test from the old PPL, and the new JAR PPL?
I'm pretty sure it's the same eye test whether you want to keep your old PPL or change to a JAR one (and why on earth would you want to change??)?

The old rules were: if you could see well enough to fly whilst wearing your glasses, you pass.

The new rules have got all sorts of numbers in them as others have explained.

However ... my eyesight is outside the new numbers. When I came back to flying after (only) 13 years away the AME said he'd give me a medical anyway, as the change in the rules wasn't supposed to make someone stop flying if they'd been flying perfectly happily before.

So, I've got this medical with a "not JAA compliant" stamp in it, ie in theory I can expect this medical to be valid in the UK only, and I now fly around on my original UK PPL (not any nasty new-fangled JAR thing).

So ... I go to Canada, show them this medical, and they accept it as valid for the issue of a Canadian licence, even though my eyesight is also way beyond the Canadian specificiation!

The impression I get is that if you're new to flying the numbers might matter, otherwise they don't seem to matter very much at all.