PDA

View Full Version : Fujairah ATC Vacancy

pm210668
18th Oct 2006, 12:47
I'm thinking of applying for the ATCO post at Fujairah. Unfortunately I don't know much about the place.

Has anybody got any thoughts, recollections or dire warnings !!!

MAN777
18th Oct 2006, 16:44
Dont know anything about the job, been past the airport and town a few times whilst on route to Dibba (northern oman) for diving. The airport is very quiet with an assortment of russian airliners and Us military, most flights bring wealthy Russians, Ukranians etc for shopping trips.

The town is quite pleasant with a promenade, beach is a bit dirty. It certainly isnt Dubai. ! Dubai is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours drive.

nailman
18th Oct 2006, 17:04
Think twice is all I can say from my experience :yuk: .
Worked at Fuj last year. Small town and small airport. Don't fall for the part where you are going to work Radar because not enough people. If I was still there I would still be waiting to work radar.:ugh:
Also a small little tower and the Chief not to bright :}
The other guys still there are great :ok: 1 from UK and 1 from Norway and 1 from South Africa and a Pakistani.

Rather go there and see the place for your self and meet the people.
All I can say is watch out for the Locals especially the Managers, like to :mad: you over and full of promises.

Not to much traffic only on schedule in the week and some US navy flights and local military training flights and local training flights.

Money was ok when I was there but I heard they got shafted again when I left.

If you need more info feel free to ask can give you a good heads up.

Radar35
18th Oct 2006, 18:38
Think twice is all I can say from my experience :yuk: .
Worked at Fuj last year. Small town and small airport. Don't fall for the part where you are going to work Radar because not enough people. If I was still there I would still be waiting to work radar.:ugh:
Also a small little tower and the Chief not to bright :}
The other guys still there are great :ok: 1 from UK and 1 from Norway and 1 from South Africa and a Pakistani.
Rather go there and see the place for your self and meet the people.
All I can say is watch out for the Locals especially the Managers, like to :mad: you over and full of promises.
Not to much traffic only on schedule in the week and some US navy flights and local military training flights and local training flights.
Money was ok when I was there but I heard they got shafted again when I left.
If you need more info feel free to ask can give you a good heads up.

Agree on 99.9% of the last reply......feel free to pm me for additional info. Don't expect miracles in Fuj.

:bored:

divingduck
19th Oct 2006, 10:00
Practice your procedural skills....they don't even run to a VOR/DME:eek:

But they do have a neat NDB there....:ok: oh, and a coastline...oh, and mountains:E

AirNoServicesAustralia
19th Oct 2006, 10:23
Not having Navaids has its good points though DD. I mean I wish every time there was a bit of dust around, we in the Centre could close up shop for the day and declare our airspace closed. I think there was one week there over Summer where Fujairah was shut more often than it was open. Sounds pretty good to me.

divingduck
19th Oct 2006, 16:23
ANSA... remember the airspace isn't closed:E

It just isn't available for landers or departures:ugh:

Chaos Controller
20th Oct 2006, 11:12
ANSA... remember the airspace isn't closed:E
It just isn't available for landers or departures:ugh:

Umm, no. Airspace was never closed, only IFR arrivals were refused. IFR departures were not affected, neither were VFR flights.
But yeah, it was a few nice, quiet days at work, and I am sure there will be more to follow next time there are some clouds around.

pm210668, pm me if you want more info about the place

AirNoServicesAustralia
20th Oct 2006, 14:06
Sorry not closed. Just no IFR arrivals, and since not too many IFR aircraft are based at FUJ for any long period of time, I don't remember too many IFR departures either, since it is usually in and straight back out again for most IFR's. Good luck to you, as I said a good job if you can get it. You would think though if FUJ was serious about raising there traffic numbers the airport owners, ie. the Emirate of FUJ, would invest some money on some landing aids to make it an all weather airport. Then you guys may get some scheduled traffic going there. Just a thought.

divingduck
20th Oct 2006, 19:59
Umm, no. Airspace was never closed, only IFR arrivals were refused. IFR departures were not affected, neither were VFR flights.

Uhhh...I may be really dumb...just being an Area Guy, but how can VFR be allowed to fly if IFR aircraft are refused?
BTW, remember we never said the airspace was closed:E

and yes, I was on duty when Fuj shut up shop for a couple of days, as ANSA said, good work if you can get it:ok:

Chaos Controller
20th Oct 2006, 22:28
Quite easy. To make a visual approach (only available approach with no instruments working at the airfield), the reported ceiling must be at or above the initial approach level for the aircraft so cleared.
With no equipment working we couldn't get IFR arrivals below 6000ft.
So when we had broken or overcast at lets say 5000ft, we could not accept any visual approaches, but VFR flights could still fly with no problems :)
(With PUTUN holding now published as a coordinate and not a radial and dme from our VOR we can get IFR arrivals down to 2000ft, so that should help a bit)

choclit runway
21st Oct 2006, 02:27
Visited tower fairly recently. Very very quiet but lovely little tower and friendly airport.

Staff hopeful of having their radar re-approved shortly.

Lovely area. Perfect for the quiet life but if its raging nightlife and excitement your after look elsewhere.