PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ChocolatBabe
27th Nov 2006, 12:00
Hi everyone! I know my post is totally irrelevant here in the Emirates thread :hmm: , and Ive actually posted in the Etihad thread, but no reply :ugh:, Im convinced though that someone in here knows (or is kind enough to inform:sad: ) about etihad uniform.
My question is: does anyone know if etihad provides trousers to its cc as part of its uniform? many thanks in advance:} .

PS. Better still, if there are any etihad CCs (or anyone who knows etihad very well) out there, please please please PM me... I need your help :\ .

cirrus17
27th Nov 2006, 12:39
oh the agony of not knowing for certain... I have a supposed fly out date of 29th dec, but still waiting for final confirmation from dubai re.: my medicals.
I know they received them, so that's not the issue....

OzzyOs, Motherhen (well, actually, mother hen's daughter!), and anyone else who is now out there... how long after sending in medicals did you get a response?!!

I'm going to go and eat more haagen daaz :ugh:

mother hen
27th Nov 2006, 13:17
cirrus17, my daughter had a joining date of 1st September, she faxed her medicals on the 15th August and asked at the same time that if she was successful, could she leave one week later on the 8th. Her medicals were approved on the 24th August, when they sent her an email with the contract. She did fly out on the 8th. Maybe they were quiker getting back to her because of how near her joining date was when she finally faxed the medicals. Always last minute!!

I'm sure you will hear very soon. and all will be fine.
wishing you all the very best,
mother hen.

into the skies
27th Nov 2006, 15:55
:p hello everyone!

i hav an assessment day cumin up with EK next month. I'm not quite sure of the process of assessment though ( or rather the order of it). so i hope someone could help me out with this...

1. Video round- Qs &As.
2. Group discussion 1
3. Group Discussion 2
4 English tests.
5. Final Interview.

Have i got the order rite? I've also heard of self introduction- friend introduction round during some assessment days... where does this come? does this happen often?

and if asked to introduce a friend... how do we go about doing it? i mean what are the details to be included and excluded? same with the self intro.

i know that i've posted too many questions to bug everyone!!! but what to do... just anxious. infact verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry anxious.:confused: :uhoh: :eek:

i know everyone in this forum are really helpful... so i expect the same in my case too.:p

hey flyoneday.... recently even i got to see emirates landing and tell u wat...? i felt the same excitment as u did.

all the best to u all...:ok: :ok:

cabincat
27th Nov 2006, 16:20
ChocolatBabe in answer to your question, yes Etihad provide females with trousers as part of their uniform. However they do not prefer you to wear them unless doing a turnaround to Saudi Arabia.
I used to work for them and now I work for Emirates. My advice is only use this airline as a last resort.
Good luck.

Nemo24
28th Nov 2006, 05:33
Hi Cirrus17

My Fly Out day is 22 Dec and my medicals were approved last Friday, about 1 week and a half after I lodged them.
Im pretty sure you will hear back from them by the end of this week. Do you need to give much notice to your employers? Perhaps they take that into consideration too.
But Im really sure it will be soon.

Yep, the waiting is not nice!!:uhoh:

flyoneday
28th Nov 2006, 06:09
hello, into the skies,

:p you felt it too huh? dont worry,one day it will be us helping out passengers in those cute "Emirates" printed planes!!!:ok:

About the interviews, there is so much information on this thread and i urge you to also check out "Anything having to do with Emirates Interview" and you will get so much insight.
It really doesnt matter the order of activities rather, your attitude during the day.
You might go having a set mind of how the day should be then if you find that they have changed the arrangement, you may get abit mixed up.
Just prepare yourself for anything and you will do GREAT!

I wish you well and rem to kip us posted!!!

~
flyoneday :ok:

cirrus17
28th Nov 2006, 08:12
ooooh congrats, well done clever thing!! :D

I know, it should hopefully be sometime this week, I keep checking my email......!

So, the packing will begin in earnest for you then! Remember... shoes and heavy stuff at the bottom! xxx

See you out there (?!)

MSHOSTESS
28th Nov 2006, 12:02
Hi All !

Just wondering if anybody else was attending the 'Recruitment Open Day' in Brisbane on the 9 Dec ?

Also, if anyones been to an Emirates Open Day, what things will they most likely to do ? Will they have the usual group activities.:bored:

Any other tips would be VERY welcome.:D

Tks everyone:)

into the skies
29th Nov 2006, 05:39
Hello everyone...

As i had mentioned in my previous post, i've an assesment day next month.

Now i want someone to tell me if they do a grooming test where in they check your skin, teeth, nails etc..

i may sound a bit stupid asking this question ., but i cud not decide anything on this one so here goes...
which would be better, long nails or short ones?

thanks guys.
:ok:

babyblu
29th Nov 2006, 17:18
I think they are more interested in who you are, than the length of your nails. Sounds like a wind up.

FIEVAL
29th Nov 2006, 19:32
Hi there!

INTO THE SKIES - Nails are not an issue, as long as your fingernails are clean thats the main thing. They dont do any sort of grooming test they just look at how well you are presented!;) And for the record, I have manicured french tips and thats what I wore to the assessment day!

MSHOSTESS - Have a look though "anything to do with emirates thread" there is heaps of information, but to put the process short here goes
1 - Recruiters introduce themselves, tell the hopefuls a little bit about Dubai and what to expect in the job. Then they show a video about emirates as a airline and then dubai as a country. (you can actually find a copy of this video on "you tube", someone has acutally posted the link in this forum just look back through the posts I know its here):O
2 - Recruiters then take your CV, one on one, its all of 5 minutes if that. They usually ask what you are currently doing and issue you with a number.
3 - You are then broken up into groups of about 20-25 depending on numbers and put in to group discussion. The recruiters then observe your interaction with other group members. Our first excercise in a group was to introduce the person sitting next to you! Then we had to have a group discussion about a topic they give us! Ours at the time was - "name any 6 people in the world, you think should receive a noble prize"! You are then asked to leave the room, they then select who will go onto the next round, they put letters out ("congratulations you have made it":D letters and "sorry you were unsuccessful" :( letters) they layout all the letters on a table with your number and you are then asked to check your letter to see if you have made it.
4 - You are then broken down into a smaller group, of about 10-15 people, you do another group discussion, the recruiters will observe you yet again, you are then asked to leave the room and they go through the selection process again
5 - We were then brought back into the room and told that we had made it to the final interview and had to take a psych test, nothing too diffcult all just common sense really
6 - My final interview was the next day, one on one with the two recruiters, they ask pretty standard questions that you would normally be asked in a job interview ie:
Explain a time you have gone out of your way to help a complete stranger?
Explain to us a time in your current job that you have gone out of your way to help a customer/client - explain the outcome, was your client happy, upset with the outcome?
Explain a time you have had to implement some sort of procedure, excercise in your work place to make things easier and weather you fellow collegues utilised your suggestion?
How would you feel about living away from family?
These were just some of the questions asked.
You are then told that you will have an answer from them in 6 weeks time as it is then up to the HR in Dubai to process final approval.
(so just incase anyone is wondering weather they will get an answer the day of their final interview, you wont! This is when the waiting game begins)
7 - 3 weeks after final interview I received a phone call from Emirates advising that I had been successful and would now have to progress to the next round which is "medicals" (nb:at this stage employment is still not confirmed you have just been selected for the next round) they email you are whole lot of documents that you need to take to your doctors, dentist etc. Once these are all completed you send them back and wait!
8 - 37 days after submitting final medical forms, I received an email from Emirates confirming that I had passed all my medicals
9 - Day after receiving confirmation an email was sent, confirming acceptance and also requesting I complete online joining form. This form consists of confirming details, accommodation requriements etc.
10 - Final email arrived confirming date of departure
I am flying out 15th December
My whole process took me about 3 months, but this was due to complications with my medicals I had a bit of work to get done on my teeth!:E - My interview was 17th August - I received acceptance 27th October!
Hopefully the above will give the wouldbe EKer's a bit of insight into the assessment and interview process! - Keep in mind that there is alot of waiting involved and the process can be long and very drawn out, but at the end of it all its worth every minute!;)

CIRRUS 17 - Dont fret, they usually let you know weather you have been accepted pending on your date of travel and also taking into consideration your notice period, you wouldve have already known weather there was something wrong with your medicals prior to sending them!!!!!!!:ok: I know exactly what you are gonig through it took ages to get clearance for my medicals but believe me when it does happen, the sense of relief is unbelievable! Stay positive!

CRAZYSANDRA - You will do well I am sure!:O

MOTHERHEN, OZY OS - Hello ladies:rolleyes: its been a little while hope all is well with you both!

Take care all!:ok:

emirates_girl
29th Nov 2006, 22:33
YAY ! I got an email last night saying my medicals were approved and all is final!

Does anyone know what happens next do they send us information on like what to pack or anything ?? Or do we just get our contract and ticket ??

I cannot believe this hey ! I do not think it will be real unti lI am at that airport boarding the EK flight ! So excited ! Just 3 weeks to go now !

HOORAY:D

MSHOSTESS
30th Nov 2006, 10:07
Thank you Fieval for that info

much appreciated !

Im very excited, not really nervous at this stage, still have a wk to go !

Good luck to everybody waiting to hear or about to head over to Dubai !

Cant wait to join you !
;)

crazysandra
30th Nov 2006, 10:16
Thank you Fieval and others for your information and helpful behaviours.
I have only two days to attend in an open day.I am getting more excited.I prepared everything such as my resume,photographs and references.I hope I will get through all stages of the interview to final interview.After the interview, I will mention about everything in the open day.Be sure about it.

Good Lucks!!!!

OzyOS
30th Nov 2006, 18:01
Hey Guys!!

Well, made it through the second week here (and all limbs intact:} ). Seriously I am truely enjoying myself! Its true that the work load is huge, but having previous flying experience I was already aware and prepared for it, and because I love this job so much, the more work load the better at this stage as I was so rusty from being out of this business for a couple of years :ok:

My instructors have been excellent! Always up for a laugh, and have managed to make certain subject (that otherwise could be a bit boring) very interesting. Like I have said before, just do the work they ask of you and you will make the ride a whole lot smoother for yourself ;)

I love the way they are so very much hands on teaching here (learn 10 times faster) and the simulator is amazing! for people that have never worked as cabin crew before, this simulator is like gold as it prepares you 1000 times more so than 'trying to amagine' the situation reading from a manual....your actually doing emergencies in a controlled environement....even a bit of real fire fighting!

FIEVAL, when are you getting here!!! If you want you are more than welcome to drop me a PM on here and we could meet up??

Time to run (back to the books) hi, as well to mother hen :)

Cheers guys
OzyOS :p

mother hen
30th Nov 2006, 18:09
Hi there, glad all is going well for you. I have just this minute spoke to my daughter, she's been off the past few days and is recovering from all the "partying she has been doing" She's on a 5am stand bye tomorrow, and expects to be called for a flight. Last time she did airport stand bye she ended up going on a 9 day trip to Aus!

Where are you living? My daughter is in Millenium.

All the very best to you, if you want I can give you my daughters phone no. and maybe you could get in touch?

Best wishes,
mother hen.

FIEVAL
30th Nov 2006, 19:16
Hi there!

OZYOS - so good to hear from you again, its awesome that your training is going well, sounds like there is alot to learn so preparation is definitely the key! Dont worry I will be sure to PM you upon arrival in dubai so that we can meet up somewhere, it would be awesome to put a face to a name! That is the beauty about this forum, you tend to make friends before you have even arrived in Dubai which is quite comforting for me anyway! Well you keep on keeping on! And I will be sure to see you soon! I fly December 15th - so will be there in two weeks time...scary I must admit, but at the same time exciting:) Take care and we will meet soon!

MOTHERHEN - Good to hear that everything is going well with your daughter, and good to hear that you are well too! Take care:)

EMIRATES_GAL - Awesome to hear that your medicals have been approved I know the feeling when you get that final email confirming you have actually made it...:ok: As far as I know you usually receive your ticket the week before your fly! After the final email requesting that you complete your online joining form, there is usually no further contact with Emirates until you receive your tickets (well that is what I have experienced thus far) - when is your departure date?:O

Well take care all talk soon:E

emirates_girl
30th Nov 2006, 22:06
HI !

It is very exciting to get that confirmation email that your medicals are approved. I fly out December 22...so three weeks from today. Just one week after you. Are you nervous ? I have started to pack up my room today. :D I cannot believe this is real. It was only 8 weeks ago I decided to apply....geez it all goes so quickly here.

will see you very soon !

sheenna
1st Dec 2006, 00:28
Im thinking to have Lasik surgery. But not sure. kinda worried.

Can anyone help me out please?

bboo
1st Dec 2006, 09:24
Sheenaa,
Emirates allows you to fly as CC with contact lenses, don't worry at all for that! :8
Forget about Lazer or lighter eye surgery, the operation might be 99.99% sure but you would need at least 6 months to fully recover and... i won't go into medical and stats details; as long as it's not VITAL for you to get eye surgery, just forget about it ... :=
PM me if you need further informations,
bboo

Sailorgal
1st Dec 2006, 09:39
sheenna

Before making a decision about eye surgery, you should get advice from people who have actually had the procedure, and also find out if you are in fact required to take time off flying, if any. There is a thread here on pprune.com specifically dedicated to the pros and cons of this procedure for people in the aviation industry. If you'd like any advice based on first hand experience rather than rumours, take a look at the thread or please feel free to pm me.

bboo
1st Dec 2006, 10:53
I'll say it again...

Emirates does allow Cabin Crews to wear contact lenses to perform their duties, they can even allow you to wear your spectacles in case of strong intolerance to contact lenses into dry environment.
A quick call to the EK clinic will certainly reassure you...
Now concerning the eye surgery itself, i said and say again that it takes many months to fully recover and then be sure about the diagnosis, even if a LASIK procedure will let you recover full vision within 24 hours. I know that MANY private clinics sell this surgery like your baker would try to sell bio bread, but according to the top olphtalmologists i've met on this subject ( Germany, France, UAE ), the answer was always the same: " have you ever seen one of us without glasses ? "... " Why would you want to deform a sane tissue ( cornea ) that doesn't really need it ? ". That was in case of light myopia ( up to minus 3 diopt. )
CAA medical centers ( concerning class 1 accredition for ATPLicensed people ) would consider a probation of at least 6 months before giving a final GO, at least in serious countries... And from my experience i've learnt that it's always safer to check upper medical advice before jumping into action!
I'm just trying to insist on the fact that very long term effects are not well known, even if med/long term effects give a pretty good rate of success.
So, if you correctly support contact lenses in dry environment, and unless wearing lenses or glasses has such a psychological impact on your life, why would you give it a try?
I guess you might still be in recruitment phase with Ek and really willing to work here, your worries are well understood :} :O , but i don't think that considerating an eye surgery to go beyond medical requirements for the job is necessary, that's my point of view...
Now if you really want to go for refractive surgery, ask about INTRALAZER. It's a 100% lazer technic based on LAZIK improvements that gives better results and faster recovery... :E

sheenna
1st Dec 2006, 12:03
Thanks you so mcuh. It is very helpful information!!;)

sukigirl
1st Dec 2006, 13:27
I have already posted a thread about this on this forum (sorry not very technical so cant post the link) but its only about a week since it last had a post and will be 1 or 2 pages back.
I took a week of work for mine (yes I had it done to, was cautious on my original thread untill i knew if as cabin crew we were allowed to get the procedure done.) I took a week of, thats all my consultant said i needed, I checked this with the company also. Now my vision is amazing, only do I have dry eyes sometimes in the morning or on flights occasionally but I have drops for that and in time it should pass. It certainly doesnt take 6 months to recover, dont know where you got that info from bboo but you might be getting confused with flight crew, they are required to have 6 months off after the treatment not because of recovery but because they have to go through numerous tests and have to be sure it doesnt affect there night vision ie glare fron airport lights etc.. Therefore many airlines dont allow flight crew to have it done. But our job as cc cant be compared to the requirements of a pilot.
Approx 20% of people get turned away from the treatment because they are not suitable, this is why you may see some ophthalmologists wearing glasses, there are still a lot that do have it done. This procedure has been going for 15 years now and so far there is still no known long term effects, and 99.9% is a damn good outcome, there is a 0.01% risk in everything we do.

340_co-jock
1st Dec 2006, 13:41
Recently I met a real ambassador for Emirates. I was repositioning via Dubai and she was attending on SA7138 ex Johannesburg.
If anyone knows who I am speaking of, please tell that she was a breath of fresh air to Emirates.She was not a South African, but British
She had some really stupid afrikaans guys who were drunk even before they embarked, and she handled them so well.
Well done Kate
You really are one in a million.
I'll see you hopefully on SA7159 Dubai to Johannesburg on 15 Jan 2007.

Sunehri
2nd Dec 2006, 12:10
hi everyone.

i'm totally new to pprune. i'm an ek wannabe too... just been invited for an assesment day ( i'm not sure ). well, till yesterday i thought that i had been invited to an assessment centre. but nw i'm a bit confused.

actually, a lady from the recruitment head office in dxb gave me a call saying that i've been invited to attend a "pre screening interview" on the 5th of dec. now cum,ing to my confusion. wat does she mean by pre screening interview? how is it different from the assement day? and she also told me that it is to last the whole day, so i presume it's a normal assesment day itself.

oh god!! cud someone please clear my confusion..

thanks a lot . and all the best :p

Sunehri:O

kittykittylala
2nd Dec 2006, 12:30
Hi! Just would like to know if Emirates is strict with regards to pimple marks and scars? I once tried to apply in one of Emirates accredited agencies however, they did not entertained my application due to pimple marks. Would appreciate your responses coz i do still want to try my luck. :O Thanks :}

Casablanca85
2nd Dec 2006, 20:56
Hi all of you!

What about wearing hard contactlenses at EK which are also high gas permable and for long term wear?? I always read in this foum that they prefer soft lenses and glasses are not acceptable, well what about hard lenses if you do not have any difficulties with them and your visual perfomance is corrected very good with them??? Can anybody help me??

FIEVAL
2nd Dec 2006, 22:50
Hi there!

SHEENNA - Lasik surgery is a awesome procedure:eek: , if I had the $$$$ I would have had it done a long time ago, unfortunately in my part of the world it is very pricey! However with saying that I would strongly encourage you to get the procedure or at least find out weather you are a suitabe candidate for the operation. Contact lenses can be worn!:8

BBOO - It certainly does not take 6 months to recover from surgery, having enquired about the surgery myself, and having multiple friends having had the surgery one only last week, you are back to normal 24 hours after surgery. 6 months of recovery is definitely not the case at all!
I think you may have been misinformed!;)

CASABLANCA85 - When you fill out one of the various forms, it asks weather you are a hard or soft lense wearer - it dosent matter either way, as long as you have good vision and meet the standard requirements that all that matters! BTW - are you not going to work for Lufthansa, or do I have you mixed up with someone else!:confused:

SUNEHRI - I think a screening interview is very much like a open day - go to interview submit your cv with a whole lot of other candidates and the recruiters each of you accordingly! Whatever the case stay positive and treat it like its was your final interview! Your do well I am sure;)

KITTYKITTYLALA - IN regards to pimple marks, I am not too sure, but I am a firm believer that if makeup can cover it up ten you should be fine, dont let that stop you!:O

emirates_girl
2nd Dec 2006, 23:42
I was looking at the routes for EK and noticed that most flights to Europe etc are about 6 - 8 hours. This may be a silly question , but as cabin crew, do you get many stopovers in European countries ?

19 DAYS TO GO ! :D

emirates_girl
2nd Dec 2006, 23:44
one more thing...Do you need a special visa to fwork on the New TYork route ? And how do you get it ?

Casablanca85
3rd Dec 2006, 09:35
CASABLANCA85 - When you fill out one of the various forms, it asks weather you are a hard or soft lense wearer - it dosent matter either way, as long as you have good vision and meet the standard requirements that all that matters! BTW - are you not going to work for Lufthansa, or do I have you mixed up with someone else!:confused:

Hi fieval! The problem is that Lufthansa is at present only giving 6 months contracts of employment! And after that they will see how the situation is and than they decide if you can stay or not and at EK in that case it is much better! And also living in dubai.....you know! Nevertheless i am ready for adventures and it won´t be a problem for me at all to live abroad although i am "just" 21 years old:-) See y`all in Dubai:-)

AusBEACH
3rd Dec 2006, 10:44
Hi All,

Going through the recruitment process at the moment and I'm just curious about a few things regarding the medicals;

1. What do you have to get checked/done regarding the medical exactly - dental, optometry and body? What have they actually asked to be checked?

2. When you get to Dubai, what medicals do you have to undergo there? I believe there are a few that you have to get done? I'm very curious to know what these are, since if you fail these and have to come home, it would be a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE thing.........!

Hope someone can help or have some information on the above?

THANK YOU ALL!

Casablanca85
3rd Dec 2006, 11:29
Hi All,

Going through the recruitment process at the moment and I'm just curious about a few things regarding the medicals;

1. What do you have to get checked/done regarding the medical exactly - dental, optometry and body? What have they actually asked to be checked?

2. When you get to Dubai, what medicals do you have to undergo there? I believe there are a few that you have to get done? I'm very curious to know what these are, since if you fail these and have to come home, it would be a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE thing.........!

Hope someone can help or have some information on the above?

THANK YOU ALL!

Hi you have to show them that you are medically fit to do the job as cabin crew! Eyesight, hearing, herat etc will be checked! You have also to do several blood-tests and also a HIV-Test to show them that everything is ok! I Think that for their own security everything will be done in Dubai again to be 100% sure that the medicals you did in your home country are the same as those done in Dubai!But nothing to worry about! As soon as you do not have any bad illnesses you will make it without any problems:-)

Casablanca85
3rd Dec 2006, 11:32
@Fieval

Hey! Did you receive your medicals or what are you doing currently?

helfsich
3rd Dec 2006, 13:08
emirates_girl -

Any destination with a flight time over 4.5 hours has a layover. The only European destinations we do not have a layover in are Larnaca and Istanbul.

And yes, you need a US Visa if you want to do the JFK route. (Unless you applied with emirates on a US passport) When I joined it was by invite only depending on the operational requirements, but last I heard they were getting everyone to apply in training college. If you're a German speaker, you must apply for it, as there is a HAM-JFK route.

emirates_girl
4th Dec 2006, 05:54
Hey !

I am from Australia too....What open day were you at ?

HELFSICH: Thank you so much for ur answer ! :D

c u soon !

FIEVAL
4th Dec 2006, 07:10
Hi there!

CASABLANCA - Hi sorry to hear things didnt work out for you with Lufthansa last post you made prior to this one, you were happy to be working for Lufthansa and also happy to not have to leave home! Never to worry as you mentioned why not dubai? As for me I am flying out next Friday 15th December so just over a week away! I am not looking forward to it at all! Dont get me wrong I am looking forward to the new challenges but I am defintely not looking forward to leaving my family, friends and current life behind.....its all a little overwhelming at the moment, but I guess it really wont hit me until I finally get the ticket, because at this stage I dont yet have confirmation that I am acutally flying out on the 15th! I am sure that in true emirates fashion they will probably push the date back a week or two at the last minute:ugh: Which wouldnt be so bad because I would be able to spend christmas with the family:O So either way I am not too fussed!!! How are you going with your recruitment process? When should we expect you in Dubai! Keep me posted:ok:

HELFSICH - You are just a wealth of knowledge! Thank you for keeping us informed is really appreciated:ok:

MSHOSTESS
4th Dec 2006, 07:27
Just wanna say a BIG thank you to every one for helping me out so far with what to be expected @ the Brissy Open Day on Sat (Emirates_girl & Fieval)..:D

Def' has helped subside my nerves a tad.:bored:

Im actually getting excited now :)

<3 <3

sugar
4th Dec 2006, 09:29
Hey people..
i need some help I have been called to attend the global assessment on the 16th n its hardly any days away..

Could some one please pass on some usefull info on questions tat are generally asked.. Ive never been for a CC interview ever..im really nervous and dont wanna miss this opportunity..

my best wishes to all

Sugar

Meg4
4th Dec 2006, 10:32
Hi Fieval,
Ive finally worked out how to reply!! I wanted to say hi and let you know that im also flying to Dubai next Friday (15th). Im Australia, orinally from Melbourne but having been living in Japan for the past 3years. Def. going to be tough leaving but how exciting!

See you Dubai!!

BrizGirl
4th Dec 2006, 11:18
Hi everyone,

I have spent so much time reading through the posts in this forum and am so grateful for every bit of info. All hopeful ek cabin crew are so fortunate to have so many people out there who have been kind enough to help and share their past experiences.

I have just decided to attend the open day in Brisbane (might see you there mshostess :) ) and have one basic (probably very silly) question that I would like answered please:

Does everyone wear business attire to the open day?

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' but just want to double check...

Thanks again :)

emirates_girl
4th Dec 2006, 12:10
Hey

I went to the last Brisbane open day and only decided to apply the day before and i got through. Everybody wears a business suit. I went out and spent about $500 on a suit. When I arrived, I was a little intimidated because everyone looked so perfect, and well groomed.

I would advise to wear a suit with a knee lenght pencil skirt, sink coloured stockings and black polished court shoes. Make - up and pull you hair back into a low bun or french roll, and wear minimal jewellery.

Best of Luck.

:D

emirates_girl
4th Dec 2006, 12:13
Hey

I went to the last Brisbane open day and only decided to apply the day before and i got through. Everybody wears a business suit. I went out and spent about $500 on a suit. When I arrived at the open day, I was a little intimidated because everyone looked so perfect, and well groomed.

I would advise to wear a suit with a knee length pencil skirt, skin coloured stockings and black polished court shoes. Wear make - up and pull you hair back into a low bun or french roll, and wear minimal jewellery. Look the part.

Best of Luck.

flyoneday
4th Dec 2006, 12:22
sugar
Hey,there is so much valuabble information on this thread and another on known as "Anything having to do with Emirates applications" just search and read all that information.
it will really help.
i wish you well and do keep us posted.

BrizGirl
Yeap! i think it would be wise to be in business attire.~

FIEVAL
5th Dec 2006, 01:06
MEG4 -Hey there I wanted to send you a reply, but didnt know how too! Anyhoo thats awesome we must be in the same intake! I am flying ex AKL NZ on the 15th! Have you received your ticket yet? Because I havent! I know that we should expect to see something this week, but its a bit nervewrecking knowing that you are flying next week but have no ticket to confirm it! Also EK does not leave us much time to question anything that we may disagree with in our contracts! Mind you I am guessing that it will be pretty standard!
Thank you for getting in touch with me, we will no doubt meet up there for sure!:ok:

MSHOSTESS - You are most welcome and good luck! I am sure you will do well;)

OH MY GOSH I HAVE JSUT REALISED THAT I WILL BE LEAVING IN 10 DAYS - SCARY:eek:

BrizGirl
5th Dec 2006, 03:08
Thanks so much Emirates girl and flyoneday!

Emirates girl - you have given me some hope, hehe, as I thought that my decision to attend the open day was very last minute. Fortunetly, I already have a suit! Just need to get photos now.

Congrats on your success and all the best! :O

Meg4
5th Dec 2006, 07:43
Hi Fieval,
I was getting a little worried too about having not received my contract/ticket so i email emirates and they said the contract is sent out 10 days before and the ticket-which is an eticket-gets sent 2-3 days efore departure!! Not much of a leeway at all!!
But its good to know that things are on tract...its becoming a reality now thats for sure! Very excited but im leaving my fiance here in Japan so its very sad at the same time!

Hey it is 10days until departure which means we should be getting our contracts today!!

luckyeye13
5th Dec 2006, 19:06
I had a couple of quick questions about applying for and working for Emirates. First, what are the application timelines like? For example, if I wanted to leave for Dubai in January 2008 (provided that I am accepted), when would I need to apply? Also, is a housing allowance provided as an option to CCs or is the only option to live in company housing? Thirdly, are there any assesment days offered in the USA or would I need to travel abroad at my own expense for those? Finally, are there any language skills that are especially valued by Emirates? In addition to English, I can speak Ukrainian, Russian, and French and plan to continue learning Hindi (though I don't know whether I would have a good level of proficiency before applying), since I didn't learn nearly as much of it as I wanted to while living in Delhi.

I have so many other questions, but I will ask those later. I am excited about applying to work at Emirates, even though that time is still a while away, and hope to join those of you already in Dubai.

FIEVAL
5th Dec 2006, 19:42
MEG4 - We must be on the same wave length - great minds think alike:rolleyes: I also emailed emirates to find out exactly when I would be getting my tickets, and had the same response 3-4 days! Hell that doesnt give us much leeway at all, but never to worry I am sure we will be fine! Gee it must be so much harder having to leave your partner, I am glad because I am single, but its still hard leaving all my friends & family!:( Its going to be devastating at the airport next Friday I can just see it!:{ Keep in touch and let me know when you receive your contract tickets! It will be great it we are in the same intake, its always good to have a friend, when you going into the unknown! Have you ever worked as a flight attendant before?

LUCKYEYE13 - Hi there! I will try to help answer your questions, I am currently waiting to fly out next week so hopefully I can be of assistance. In regards to start date, you can not be guaranteed when your start date will be, because alot of when you start depends on how quick you can get all your medicals back when the clear you etc.....it is a very long drawn out process and at times can take months, in my case I had my final interview in August and I am flying next week 4 months latter, but then again ever person is different.
You will have to stay in company accommodation for the first couple of months I think! After that you can apply for accommodation allowance. However I think that if you leave company accommodation and want to come back, it is very hard to get back in....dont quote me on that one!
As for languages - knowing different language is defintely a bonus, but not necessary, so I think what you know already is definitely adequate.

Hope that helps:O

emirates_girl
6th Dec 2006, 07:58
Hi
Emirates have a corporate communications team which is a group of cabin crew that are on a list and whenever there is an event on such as "the melbourne cup" or anything that EK is sponsoring. These CC are flown out to attend these events to promote emirates. Does anybody know how to be on that team ?

16 DAY TO GO !

Meg4
6th Dec 2006, 09:10
Hey Fieval,
Still no contract!! You?? My last day of work is Friday- the days are disappearing fast!!

what time does your flight get into Dubai?? i get in at 6am-is

And to answer your question, no ive never worked in the industry...u?

I Just Want To Fly
6th Dec 2006, 11:12
Does anyone have an email address for the cabin crew recruitment department at EK?

FIEVAL
6th Dec 2006, 21:00
MEG4 - Still no contract yet! I dont even know what time my flight will get into Dubai, I have tried searching flights on the internet from New Zealand and it keeps coming up with invalid search, so I am a little in the dark at the moment:confused:
Like you my last day at work is tomorrow (Friday) :{ its going to be so sad! But we are going to have a big leaving party BBQ and all, should be good! :)
As for working in the industry - no I never have, I am currently working in a totally different field, so I am a little apprehensive, but it should be good:ok:

EMIRATES GIRL - Wow how did you find out this information, that would be awesome to do! However I am sure that it would probably be the oldtimers that would get first dibs on that group!

emirates_girl
6th Dec 2006, 21:49
I alwasy wondered how those girls get there. Like the ones you see on Tv standing behind presenters at the Mebourne cup etc... There was an article in our paper last weekend about an emirates FA who also did that and it sounded awesome. hmm...no doubt we will all soon find out !

Fieval & Meg4 - Have you guys started packing yet ??? I have... I leave the week after you !

luckyeye13
6th Dec 2006, 22:09
Just another quick question that I forgot to ask earlier. I was wondering what the concessions on flight fares are like for Emirates CC. Also, are there concessions offered by other airlines? Though it obviously doesn't make much of a difference for me at the moment, it would affect whether or not I would want to fly back every so often to my current employer and retain seasonal status (where I come back and work for a certain very low number of days each year and retain my benefits here) after my contract here ends sometime next year if I get accepted for Emirates CC.

skyestorm
6th Dec 2006, 22:20
hi everyone!! bet you're all looking forward to working for emirates!

i have a question a bit off the topic....whats the deal with pets?? can u have any over in dubai in the accomodation provided??

cabincyprus
6th Dec 2006, 22:35
:rolleyes: Hello,

I have been reading this web site since 2 week and ? get lots of information about Emirates but ? still have some questions and ? need some one to asnwer them to me one by one if anyone there todo that i will be more than happy(someone who worked for Emirates or working for Emirates or just started..)

1- what are you doing at the preliminary day step by step:confused:

2-will there be Math/English test if yes what are the levels what kind of questions.

3-what type of question they are asking at the group work (what basically they are looking for )

4-what are the minimum and maxsimum weight and height proportions (? am fat to be honest around 130 kg may be more.. and very nice face)

5-what they are asking at the final interview and what is psycometric test (if there is)

6-How long usually takes to get the result of your final interview (good/bad):eek:

7-Once you got your letter how the rest of the things arrenging (your ticket,work permit or visa, contacts ,medical test how long do you have to complite your test and get ready to fly)

8-what kind of staff you need to pack up (can you take your all cd s + your hi-fi what you should take and shouldnt take with recomendations)

9-Once you came to Dubai who is welcoming you at the airport and what is next right after the airport.

10-what are the things you need to done before you get to your traning (bank account,health insurance any other thing you need to complete ..:rolleyes: )

11-Does your traning start as soon as you arrive or what...

12-How is the accomidation (what do you have ?n your room and ?n the house anything you need to buy as soon as you move in your room how many people will share the house (usually) what are the fixed cost that you have to pay for the house

13-how much money do you have approximately (with your meal allowance and others what ever they give you and are you satisfy with that can you save some :)

14-how many off days do you have in a week or month?(usually)
what you can do when you off is it expensive for you to go aout have fun and came back (for a cabin crew).

15-how is life in Dubai ?(porns and corns)

16-d?d you have difficult time to adapted your self? what is the most difficult point.

17-how is the training like how long does it takes how many exam do you have, how many hours

18-Cloths (what do you wear during the traning is ther any dress code)

19-right after your traning what is next

20-how many times do you flight each month or how many flight do you have each month (do you flight close destinations until you get used to or doesnt matter)

21-what about stop overs (how long and where do you stay usually)

22-what are the exact benefits of cabin crew

23-how long does it take to get promote.;)

24-do you realy happy to be cabin crew and do you realy recommend Emirates (be honest PLS)

PLEASE FORGIVE MY CURIOUS.:uhoh:

The reason ? am asking all this question is ? am wating for email from Emirates and ? have good job but ? also want to fly and be cabin crew ? need to have all this information before ? go to interview .there are many information on Ek web site but some of my questions still need to asnwer by someone

I will be more than happy if soemone take time and answer my questions one by one for me.
so ? can make an comparison

here is my contact detail

feel free to send me an email :ok:

[email protected]

lei17
7th Dec 2006, 10:04
Hi everyone, I'm Jane. I'm wondering if there is anybody leaving from Sydney on the 19th of JAN/07 for the Emirates Cabin Crew training in Dubai. that is my estimated date of travel. would like to find some friends to go together from Sydney Australia.
You can reach me from my email: [email protected] Thanks!

helfsich
7th Dec 2006, 11:33
Just to clarify some things mentioned here in the past few posts

Accomodation - Yes, you can move out of company accomodation, however once you have moved out you cannot move back in. You get an allowance, which is very helpful, but Dubai renting prices are on the rise, so this option is a tad off-putting to a lot of crew at the moment. If you're married and your spose is in Dubai then you cannot live in company accomodation. If you get married whilst employed with the company you have to move out. I'm still in company accomodation, so I can't reveal what the allowance is. Pets are also allowed, however this is discouraged by EK as it tends to put housemates offside, and there can be great cleaning costs involved. Also if ANY crew member complains, whether it be neighbours or flatmates, etc. you can be reported.

Languages - The only absolute requirement is English. Because of the complexity of some emergency procedures you encounter, a fluency in English is a must. Other languages are an asset, however should you get in you may be assigned to certain routes based on that language, which may feel restrictive after a while.

Corporate Promotion - Yes, there is a business promotions team. If you're a female or a UAE male you can apply. I know though that they're not looking for anyone new because they rejected my application :uhoh:. You should be in the company 6 months at least and be on good standing. They usually go to new flight route openings rather than sporting events.

Hope that helps :-)

MSHOSTESS
7th Dec 2006, 19:39
Howdy !

jst a quick qstn !

Can everybody (& i persume the ppl leaving friday can), reach 112cm easily on tippy toes ?

Has anyone got through been a 'tad' shorter (lets say 2cm shorter) ?

:ugh:

emirates_girl
7th Dec 2006, 20:41
Hey

When I went to the open day, there were a few people who didn't make it through that round because they did not quite make it. This rule is for safety, as it so you can reach the overhead cabin comfortably ( i presume). Do not let this deter you from going as, maybe your measurement was not right or something.

Best of luck for tomorrow ! let me know how you go !

BrizGirl
8th Dec 2006, 01:04
Emirates girl or anyone...,

I just asked my boyfriend to get me a pair of court shoes to wear to the open day tomorrow and he's just come back with a pair of court shoes with stilletto heels!! Teaches me for asking my boyfriend I guess! Anyway, just wondering if this is ok/acceptable or whether it is best that I dash out of work and buy another pair?

Please reply asap....Thank you and good luck to everyone going to brisbane open day tomorrow!!! :)

MSHOSTESS
8th Dec 2006, 07:57
Tks Emirates_girl

awwwww, getting nervous bout the height requirment now. When i first measured myself I thought i was right.... but checked again.... geeeeeesh. I can just (not easily reach 212cm):ugh:

Open days tomorrow, hopefully I can grow another 2cm or so in my sleep tonight LOL.

Also, (stupid qst), do they check height with or without shoes ?

:zzz: :)

flyoneday
8th Dec 2006, 08:22
MSHOSTESS...relax
Easy said than done,,,,i know!
Anyway,i have been to two interviews and not made it as yet.They ask us to remove our shoes and stretch as much as possible to try reach a card they usually have pinned on the wall.
I dont know what height it ususally is.
I wish you well gal.

mhh,i too have an interview onmonday for our local airline and am somehow nervous...no worries though,i know God has got my back!

To those leaving for Dubai soon, nice flight, all the best and please do keep us posted!

To those goin for interviews, EK or other, GO GET IT!!!

~

peppero
8th Dec 2006, 13:08
hi to all! im just new here. so just trying this first one out.

anyway, i want to let you all EK wannabe know that this forum is really helpful. i enjoy reading your posts and really learning a lot from them. the more i read the posts the more i get excited about working for emirates!!

really hope we can all make it!!!:ok:

MSHOSTESS
9th Dec 2006, 04:31
Hey all

Attended Brissy Open Day & jst got 'the call' back for tomorrow (2nd round). :p

Does any one know what to expect on this day ?, Also they DIDNT do a height check today (Im 2cm off :( ) so Im presuming they may do it tomorrow :ugh:

Also, BRISGIRL How did you go ? Hopefully Ill see you there tomorrow !

:)

emirates_girl
9th Dec 2006, 06:03
CONGRATS !!!!! SO EXCITING !

TOMORROW:

- Height check
- groups activiites (like a debate)

Then they will do another cut.

- Then some more group activities

emirates_girl
9th Dec 2006, 06:11
SORRY i left off some stuff.

The first group activiites will be to introduce the person next to you (I don't think it is about what you are saying, it is all about the delivery !)

a group debate will take place as well. Find the balance. Don't dominate, but do not be quiet and sit back. Have personality.

They will do another cut.

Then you will come back and do another smaller group debate

Then another cut

Then a psychometric taste.

Throughout the day, you will have little one minute one on one interviews with the recruiters. JBe yourself, smile and confident and you will be fine !

BEST OF LUCK

FIEVAL
9th Dec 2006, 08:05
MSHOSTESS - I hope that all goes well for second round!;)

CABINCYPRUS - You will alot of answers to your questions from various posts in this forum, and also in the "anything to do with emirates forum"! Your best bet is to read up both forums, I guarantee it will answer alot of your questions:ok:

BRIZGAL - Bless your boyfriend I am sure he was thinking of what you would look nice in weather then what was appropriate for the day!:D A stiletto heel is fine, as long as it looks smart that is all that matters! I wouldnt stress about it, it will be fine! Good luck with your open day:ok:

FLYONEDAY - Stay positive your day is coming!;)

MEG4 - Have you received your contract yet! I am still awaiting contract and tickets, I hope to get it soon, the last thing I want to be doing is running around try to find out where all my documents are! Let me know weather you have had any luck!:)

BrizGirl
9th Dec 2006, 08:49
Hey all,

Unfortunetly I didn't make the cut....kind of a bummer not making it past the very first round I must say! To be honest, I was really shocked that I didn't get a call...I met all the requirements, looked the part, have more than 2 years of customer service experience, a bachelors degree in communications and an extremely friendly personality!! hehe, sorry I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself now! oh well there's always next time!

MsHostess: Congatulations, I'm so excited for you! Make sure you keep us posted on how you go and what the day entailed! Good luck with the height requirement....like the recruiter said today "cheat and stretch as much as you can to reach the mark" ;) :D

Fieval: Thanks for the feedback....I told my boyfriend I didn't make it because of the heels! hahaha (just joking!) There were heaps of girls in stiletto heels! Actually, everyone looked so perfect and well groomed!

If anything, today was a great experience and at least if I do try again in the future I'll know what to expect! :)

MSHOSTESS
9th Dec 2006, 09:35
Thanks Guys !

Brisgirl, DONT GIVE UP.

My first ever interview with any airline was ony a few wks ago & I didnt make it. I was upset, but more determined than ever to try again.

Take your first interview as an experience, atleast now you know what to expect nxt time round. :)

xxxx

klinitco
9th Dec 2006, 10:32
Languages - The only absolute requirement is English. Because of the complexity of some emergency procedures you encounter, a fluency in English is a must. Other languages are an asset, however should you get in you may be assigned to certain routes based on that language, which may feel restrictive after a while.

Just curious about this one... It's starting to sound like languages are a disadvantage! Do you think they are worth mentioning at an interview, and how fluent do you have to be to be considered fluent? I mean I've met crew that struggle a tad with the English.

Crew fluent in, eg, German - how many Hamburg-JFK, Frankfurt, Vienna, Zürich etc flights would you have to take on? Does this make it harder to bid for specific flights to Asia, Africa, Oz, other parts of Europe?

MSHOSTESS
10th Dec 2006, 07:28
Hi Guys !

Well I've made it through to the last interview (one on one).

Passed my height check too ! :O

Can anyone let me know what questions to expect on the one on one ?

Any tips would be muchly apreciated.

Thanks to everyone for their support too !

Meg4
10th Dec 2006, 11:06
Fieval- NOPE!! i havent received anything yet either!! Only 5 days to go...wonder if well still be leaving on the 15th?!! Let me know when you hear something!

Emirates Girl-ive started packing up my apartment but havent packed anything for dubai yet!! Thats my job for tomorrow!! Hows all your packing going??

Casablanca85
10th Dec 2006, 11:48
Hey Guys how are you doing?? I have a question about the Emirates psychometric test? What do you think about this test?? there were so many questions about your personality! Do you think that they check everything or is it only to be enclosed to your documents?? Well in my opinion there were often the same questions so that they can see if you tell the truth or not:-) There were also questions if you sometimes tell bad things to somebady who did you wrong! I answered this question with a "b" that means sometimes so and sometimes so because it depends on the situation you are in! In my opinion anybody who says that he or she never says bad things is lying because nobody is perfect and everybody was in several situations where you might react a liitle bit "bad" but i was honest and may be it was good for me!!! What do you think??

flyr
10th Dec 2006, 13:08
Any news on that one???

Casablanca85
10th Dec 2006, 16:21
Any news on that one???

hi just check their website! It is always challenging and as it is mentioned on their homepage they are looking for completely new nationalities and ethnic backgrounds! But just check regulary their homepage and look at opendays:-)

emirates_girl
10th Dec 2006, 20:51
Flyr

That would most likely be doing an open day there, as we start flying to South America next year.So they will be looking for nationalities from there. Best of luck !

Meg4

I cannot believe you and fieval have not heard anything yet !! I t is making me nervous as I am due for my contract this Wednesday. Have you called them or anything ? My room looks very bare, I have started a little packing but have so many jobs to do before hand! and I alays end up going out with friends. I am having a farewell party this weekend..so trying to organise that too...I hope you ar still leaving this week. How exciting !

Mshostess

CONGRATULATIONS ! WELCOME TO THE REST OF US HAHA.
one bit of advice. Make sure you take everything to the interview that is required. Because otherwise you have to post it and it takes 5 days to get there, and they will not look at your application until they have it all. I took everythign to my interview and Emirates called me exactyl one week later and asked for my medicals and my start date ! It saves playing the waiting game !

Questions they will ask:

-All scenarios such as:
- When have you being in a stressful situation at work? How did you deal with it ?
- When have you and a colleague not met eye to eye? How did you deal with it ?
- When did you exceed a customers expectations ?

etc...it is alot of thi kind of stuff. Basically they are trying to see how you are in stressful situations, how you are working in a team, and also customer service. They are very focused on team work, so drop that alot (how it is a team effort etc)

Also make sure you have some good questions to ask them at the end. I had a friend who didn't ask a very good question and did not make it through. It may not have being because of that butalways be over prepared. I actually wrote mine down and poulled it out at the interview and asked them. I spoke to them like I had the job already. This is what I asked.

- How do I prepare myself for training prior to leaving for Dubai ?
- How do I get my body to adjust to jet lag, time zone and climate changes?
- I noticed that cabin crew for Emirates have won sveral awards including"Best Cabin Crew ". What is the criteria for this judgement? And what was it that emirates offered above everybody else ?
- I noticed on that form you gave us on Saturday that it says we have one week of Orientation. What does this entail ?
- What happens if my room mate and myself do not get along living together ?

Feel free to ask them too if you are wondering about what they said.
After the interview I told them how my parents were very proud of me for getting so far in this process and how I showed my mum the cabin crew videos on the website and how she cried when she saw cabin crew graduation becuase I told her that that will be me very soon ! They laughed. I asked them when they flew back to Dubai ? commented that they must be tired etc. Wished them luck with the recruitment and said 'See you soon'.

That is how it went, it lasted for about 40 minutes. They were very impressed that I had everything with me for the interview and commented on how well organised I am. It is not that bad of an interview, just do nto let your nerves take over as that may work against you. I am aware of people who are so nervous it shows, that they do not get the job because of it. It shows that you cannot really handle a stressful situation such as it. Look at it all from a HR point of view.
When is your interview ?
GOOD LUCK !

see you shortly in Dubai :D

congrats again ! I know exactly how you must feel !:D

IRISHEMIRATE
10th Dec 2006, 20:54
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and jst want to thank everyone for their help so far, its really useful.

I'm jst about to process my application at the is stage and jst have a question about the photgraphs. I understand that you need a passport photograph and a full length as well. Do these photos need to be done professionally or are picture taken with a digital camera acceptable.

thanks for ur help

Meg4
10th Dec 2006, 23:27
Fieval and Emirates Girl- Ive just received my ticket and visa!!! YAH!! Strange tho, no contract as of yet...anyway time to start packing!!

Fieval anything yet??

Emirates girl...good luck with your farwell party...i had my work one last Friday and i cried A LOT!!

Sta_Power
11th Dec 2006, 10:05
Hello again u lovely ppl!

Im back after 3 weeks of being depressed (just kidding about teh depressed part!)

To all the people who helped me (Ozy & MotherHen), thank-you for your support but i DIDNT make it in this time. tried everything on this thread and then some more but i guess thats life!

I dont know if i will be trying again! BUT all the best to those who have tried & got in & those who are still working to get into EK! May your dreams come true!

P.s. One silly question to MSHOSTESS, how tall are you? you said that you were 2 cm below the required height. i am 2 cm below the required height as well. U think that could have been a reason?

Anyway, i'll stop whining now! TA!

FIEVAL
11th Dec 2006, 11:43
Hi there

MEG4 & EMIRATES GIRL - I have received my tickets and visa (boohoohoo) it makes everything so much real, I have only now come to terms with the fact that I am leaving in 3 days time:( Dont get me wrong I am excited to be starting a new career :) but not excited to be leaving my friends, family and love ones (basically everything I know) to move halfway across the world. But hey it will all be worth it in the end!;) I actually got a call from Emirates to double check weather I had received my contract and told them, that I hadnt seen anything as of yet! They seem to think that it must have got lost somewhere on its travels so sent out another copy today, fingers crossed I will receive something before I fly otherwise I am going contractless!
I havent begun to pack, there is so much to do and so little time. I had my final day at work last Friday and like you Meg4 spent 90% of the time crying at my farewell party....I had been with my previous company for 6 years so it was definitely the end of an era for me! As for the other farewell parties I have been having, I feel like I have been on a one month eating and drinking binge, it has been farewell party, after farewell dinner after another, and I still have 2 more to go this week before I fly! SO much to do so little time!

STA_POWER - Sorry to hear that things didnt go well for you, unfortunately we just dont know what it is that they are looking for:confused: , but as long as you know that you did your very best that is all that matters!:ok: Dont give the dream....:O

IRISHEMIRATE - You photos dont have to be professional, digital camera is fine, thats how all my photos were done and I got through. I wouldnt waste money on professional shots! I am sure you would have a budding photographer amongst your family or friends that can take your pics! I got my best friend to take all of mine!:O

Cheers

skt_84
11th Dec 2006, 11:55
HI, i have an interview with emirate and wondered if anyone could give me any info on what to do in the interview and what the recruitment day will be like etc?

Thanks!:)

Meg4
11th Dec 2006, 12:11
hey Fieval...i know exactly how you feel...leaving everything/everyone is not easy...i did it 3years ago to come to japan and i assure u it was worth it!! But this time around leaving my fiance-im sure-will be a much more difficult task. HOwever...have to give these things a try!!! Better to go than regret it lata. Also very nice to know that youll be arriving on the same day and actually i checked the Auckland-Dubai flights and they too arrive in Dubai at approx.6am
See you Friday!!

Emirates girl- how r u doing with packing and farwell parties?? I never realised how much stuff i actually have!!

skt_84
11th Dec 2006, 13:27
Please can any of you help me.

im really excited about my emirates recruitment day tomorrow, but have only just managed to find this website today! :bored:

I just want to know any tips you can give me about the day, what to expect and what to do and what not to do.:confused:

please help!!

MSHOSTESS
11th Dec 2006, 18:57
hi Sta Power

I checked my height at home & was definate I wasnt going to make it because i was to short.

However.... on the day we were alllowed to stand and reach up with one hand and sort of balance on one leg ( it gives you the 'oomph' to reach up).

Anyway, I reached, but if we had to do it reaching with both arms I dont think i would have made it.

Keep trying, dont give up!

all the best.

Casablanca85
11th Dec 2006, 20:19
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

emirates_girl
11th Dec 2006, 22:34
Hey !

If you just flick through the last few pages of this forum, you will find exactly what you are looking for.

Best of luck !

emirates_girl

EA_cabincrew
11th Dec 2006, 22:38
skt 84

It's been all discussed for 100 times already - just browse a few pages back!!

MSHOSTESS
12th Dec 2006, 04:26
hey guys !

well i have jst arrived home from my final interview....... what a day !

The day started off really bad (spider on car windscreen, roadworks, getting lost etc)

Got to the interview with EVERYTHING PHEEEW !

But....... i really think i did badly with the qstns asked. Both ladies used such BIG words to describe questions that I had difficulty understanding some. On two questions I actually asked " can we come back to this question ?". So not sure if I jst ruined the whole chance there.

But I did ask them questions & even in the end they even asked me where they could buy souveniers from ect, felt comfortable towards the end, but geeeeshhh, some of the questions just through me totally off guard !

The wait begins................ she did say we will here back in 2 weeks time...... is this the norm ?

xx

Dogs_ears_up
12th Dec 2006, 05:14
Spiders? BIG words?

Please remember that you are applying for a position in which the safe evacuation of an aircraft is your primary responsibility: A degree of maturity is expected.

lei17
13th Dec 2006, 03:13
Hi MEG, FIEVAL and others. Nice to meet you guys here! It's exciting to hear about people getting responses from Emirates. Wondering if you guys could give me and those who are still waiting some advice?
I'm in Sydney and is waiting for a response after my Medicals. Is it correct that the next stage after the Medical is the E-Ticket and contract? or is there something else? my estimated travel date is next month, and on their email it indicates estimated Date of travel can not be changed. Therefore I'm making all my holiday plans to meet that date. Just wondering what will happen from now to that date. I'm just not sure what expect from them. Do you guys think is it good idea to call/email them to find out or not?

Hey Fieval,
Still no contract!! You?? My last day of work is Friday- the days are disappearing fast!!

what time does your flight get into Dubai?? i get in at 6am-is

And to answer your question, no ive never worked in the industry...u?

Meg4
13th Dec 2006, 04:43
Hi lei17!

When did you send in your medicals?? It about 2 months before i heard anything but if you read other peoples posts some heard back after a week...id just wait. They will eventually get back to you.

As for changing the departure date, id did. And once again if you read more of the posts on this forum youll notice that others had their dates changed by Emirates.
Its def. a time consuming matter but its well worth the wait.

As for what else is there...once yourve completed your medicals its simply a waiting game. If your approved the next thing is your contract etc.

Good LucK and let us know how you do!!

pinay_esther_marie
13th Dec 2006, 07:31
Hi! Is there any filipinos here who happens to know when would be the open day assessment for emirates?

This forum is such a big help for people like me who wants to discover a new career in the airline industry.:D

More power!
and Good Luck to everyone!
Be safe!

MSHOSTESS
13th Dec 2006, 10:41
hey guys !

Well Im in the second day of waiting ! Its killing me,I know how you guys must of felt now. arrrrghhhh !

Anyway, one of the other girls who have also made it through to the final interview had hers yesterday. The interviewers called her mobile today to "ask her a few questions they didnt get to ask her in the interview", along the lines of "have u dealt with foreign customers & if so how did you communicate with them ?".

I didnt get one question along the lines of this. Guys do u think this is a good thing or a bad thing.:bored:

We find out in 2 weeks. Its driving me CrAzY.:ugh:

FIEVAL
13th Dec 2006, 12:21
Hi guys -

Well 2 days to go before I fly, so not looking forward to the farewells, its the first time I have lived away from family, friends and home! But with saying that like you said MEG4 - it will defintely be an experience you just wouldnt want to pass up!

MEG4 - Yeah I get into Dubai at 5.55am (as per ticket) - we will defintely meet up when we get there! Just look for the girl with the bloodshot eyes who looks like shes been crying for 10 years that will be me!:{

MSHOSTESS - Oh its so cute to see another EKer going through the same thing that we all went through:) The waiting!!!!! One thing you need to keep in mind is that Emirates run on their own time, for me after my final interview it took 3 weeks before I heard anything and I was lucky because I was told that it would 6 weeks before I heard anything! Just keep on keeping on with what you are doing, I know its hard to do but as they say all in good time! Stay positive:ok:

LEI17 - As MEG4 mentioned it takes a while, from my experience you will get a response from Emirates closer to your departure time - however there is no harm in sending them an email, but more then likely you will get no defiinite answer until about 4-3 weeks out from your departure time! Unfortunately you are now playing the frustrating waiting game:ugh:
Also after your medicals have been approved the next time of contact will be when they send you your tickets and visas along with contract which is usually the week you are due to fly......

hullabaloo_girl
13th Dec 2006, 12:41
Hi Everyone,
There's an open day coming up soon at my country, was wondering, does size matter when it comes to the cabin crew? Do you have to be really skinny?

OzyOS
13th Dec 2006, 14:01
Hi FIEVAL and the others who are about to embark on their journey over here, I wish you a smooth transition (and not too many tears....when you leave and a few weeks into training as a few girls on my batch have already gone through...bless), best of luck!

Hey hullabaloo_girl, I really encourage you to read through this thread as your question has previously been answered when another ppruner asked this. But quickly, EK go by the international Height to Weight ratio, as long as you are somewhere in this or close to it, you have nothing to worry about.

2 more weeks to go until Im back up in the air (again!) so I am very much looking forward to this day. Again, the first 2 weeks are what will take their tole on you if you havent flown before or arent ready to knuckle down (hell, they even had me a bit knackered!) but you really do feel the workload lighten up considerably after this. I can not stress to you how important it is though to do the study required of you....you will only make it an easier ride for yourself :)

Again, my trainers have been excellent and full of valuable information and Dubai is still very enjoyable....amazing weather at the moment.....itching a bit to do some more exploring.....but just too little time at the moment, if any, to do so! But at least the training weeks are flying by.....that I can definitely confirm :ok:

Again, have a great flight over FIEVAL and the rest and best of luck :p

OzyOS

hullabaloo_girl
13th Dec 2006, 15:04
OzyOZ,

Thanks for that. I did spend days reading through everything I must have missed that one out.

Nemo24
13th Dec 2006, 21:37
Wow! Its been 2weeks since i've been in here and good to see so many new people!

OzyOs- great to hear you are enjoying the new lifestyle; can hardly wait until I get across!

Fieval- cant believe you are off tomorrow! It all seems to have happened so fast.

Cant believe im actually off next Friday. Well, assuming this anyway because though medicals have been approved by Dubai, i haven't heard anything further from them! Waiting :) for contracts and further info on what to bring, etc... As my departure date is only 8 days away, does anybody know whether I should be/should have received something by now??

pinay_esther_marie
14th Dec 2006, 03:59
Hi Everyone,
There's an open day coming up soon at my country, was wondering, does size matter when it comes to the cabin crew? Do you have to be really skinny?

When and where will be the open day in Singapore?
Thank you!
Good day!

hullabaloo_girl
14th Dec 2006, 13:14
pinay_esther_marie
Hi, it will be on the 6th of January at the holiday Inn hotel. Are you thinking for coming down to Singapore for it?

sanchezcarlo
14th Dec 2006, 13:47
Hey Guys,

Went to my first EK invitational assesment a few days ago. Bummer! didnt even make it to the 1st round. End of the day I heard that they got no boys. I heard from the grapevine that theyr kinda cutting on hiring boys this year. Will that still be the case for next year? gosh now i have to wait until june to apply agian. :(

c

skt_84
14th Dec 2006, 14:38
hey,

ive just got through my first round and ive got my one on one interview tomorrow. :confused: any help would be really appreciated!

Has anyone got any tips??

hullabaloo_girl
14th Dec 2006, 14:56
Skt_84

Hi congatulations! Can you describe to me how your day went and what they asked you? Good luck for your one on one. I may not be able to help but in the last 2 pages, there's a post that is really detailed that says what you will be asked and what to ask the recruiters themselves. You should definitely check it out.

peppero
14th Dec 2006, 15:04
pinay esther marie

hi! emirates doesn't hold an open day in the philippines. rather, they do a global assessment here.

pre-screening of applicants is conducted by IPAMS (a recruitment agency). if you get shortlisted, they will invite you for a global assessment day wherein you will meet up with emirates recruitment team. you can visit IPAMS website at www.ipams.com (http://www.ipams.com), so that you can have more infos as to what they will require you to bring and how you can apply for a cabin crew position for emirates.

God bless you on your application.

skt_84
14th Dec 2006, 15:40
hi,

my day was ok. I had to do 2 rounds of grouip activities and then people got sent home after each round. Have you got an interview?

skt_84
14th Dec 2006, 15:42
hey,

have you had both of ur interviews then?

Ive got my proper interview tomorrow so just wanted to know if you had any tips?

What did you get asked?

FIEVAL
14th Dec 2006, 19:33
HI EVERYONE

Well the day that everyone looks forward to has come for me!:) I fly out to Dubai this afternoon so thought I better post my last message from my homeland of New Zealand, as my next post will be from "the land of hopes and dreams" Dubai LOL;)
To everyone on this forum who are still going through the process to become a future FA for Emirates...keep on keeping on! :ok: To those who are new to the forum, this site is a wealth of knowledge.
OZYOS - Thank you for the well wishes I will see you over there shortly, it will defintely be good to put a face to a name!
MEG4 - As you mentioned we arrive into Dubai at the same time so I will hopefully catchup with you at the airport, look for the tall girl with the long hair who looks like she has been crying for 5 years straight, that will be! LOL:{
MOTHERHEN - My time has come to embark on my journey, thank you for all the kind words and advice, I truly aprpreciate it! I will now be able to share my experiences with you!
NEMO24 - We will see you over there buddy.....dont worry about Emirates contacting you, you will receive something next week for sure, they will call you to confirm that you have rcvd your tickets which you will get via email, you will also get your contract via email in soft copy form! I acutally got my contract last night, wasnt too impressed as there were a few things I had to get from my employer ie:a confirmation letter of resignation from my current employers, so I have been running around like a blue ass fly this morning getting that sorted.

To everyone else, I will be sure to keep up with the post's once I arrive in Dubai, just to let you know the process once over there, because that is something that I have been rather curious about! Take care, and I'll see you all in the desert!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

pinay_esther_marie
15th Dec 2006, 05:37
hullabaloo_girl:

Yes, I'm thinking if I can go to singapore for the open day on the 6th..
It's my first time to try it. I'll visit your country at the same time..

emirates_girl
15th Dec 2006, 05:58
YAY ! I finally got my contract today....This time next week I will be checking in and ready to start my new life in Dubai ! VERY EXCITED !
I cannot wait.... Well I guess Meg4 and Fieval will have alreayd gone by now...It is so fascinating to watch people go through the process on here.

I was just looking at my letter that I got on the first day of assessment that said Congratulations! You have made it through the first stage of the screening process, then lookign at the email I just received saying 'Welcome to the Emirates Family'...My mum creid when she read that and so did I.. it is finally happening !

HOORAY !

mother hen
15th Dec 2006, 07:41
Hi emirates girl, congratulations and hope everything goes well for you, for your flight next week and your career in Dubai!

I know exactly how your mum feels.....I was in the supermarket when my daughter phoned me to say emirates had called her to say they were emailing the ticket and contract, and I started to cry. The woman on the deli must have thought I was a nutter!!!!

I was inconsoleable when she left, for a while, and then just a couple of weeks ago, after three months of not seeing her, she flew in to Manchester. She was on stand bye, so didn't have any idea she would be coming near home yet! I went up on the train to see her and when I got to the hotel and the lift doors opened I just rushed towards her hugging her and sobbing my heart out.....I'm sure the people in the lobby were wondering just what was going on! I was just soo happy to see her again, but it hurt when I had to say goodbye...AGAIN!

She is happy though, and enjoying herself, and I just hope you will be able to settle in too.

All the very best to you, and to anybody who is due to fly out or in the process.

Best wishes,
mother hen.

zara
16th Dec 2006, 00:39
Hi everybody! I have a question that's bugging me: i'd love to step in the world of Emirates, but i've heard that together with your application you have to undergo medical tests. Ten years ago i had a psychosis and i'm still taking anti-psychotics to keep being stable.
But would that be an obstacle to get being accepted for the job? I do speak a lot of languages, so i hope i can make a chance when i apply.
Bye, Zara.

emirates_girl
18th Dec 2006, 17:41
Hey !

Well I just received my e-ticket and visa...I expected there to be some mishap but there was not, everything ran pretty smoothly. So it is for real now !

MSHOSTESS - I want to hear how you go ! you must post straight away when you hear back from Emirates !

both Nemo24 and myself fly out this Friday ! Yay ! cannot wait !

talk to you all soon...

Love Emirates_girl

wanttoflyhigh
21st Dec 2006, 13:37
Hi,

SO, now I know what everybody means by the waiting game sucks .. Caus it actually does! .. But theres nothing you can do but play along I guess!

Have anyone attended a final interview recently? Are u still waiting or have u heard anything back from them?

umzy
21st Dec 2006, 19:34
Hey all....
1st of all.... Happy Flights & Safe Landings to all who have been selected :ok: .... All the best WHO r in WAITING que ...

Now, my Concerns :O .... 1st of all
1) DIfference between an Open day and Global Assesment Day ?
2) What's with the PICTURE POSTING during filling online application form? Is this necessary AND really counts ?
..... rest I'll ask more later :)
Cheers

emirates_girl
21st Dec 2006, 20:31
Hey everyone, I am off tonight at 8pm to Dubai.

This is my last post. Good luck with everyone who is trying to get into EK..allthe best ! see you soon !

NEMO24 - See you at the airport tomorrow morning ! Yay. Have a safe flight.

BYE BYE

Emirates_girl

wanttoflyhigh
21st Dec 2006, 21:29
1) DIfference between an Open day and Global Assesment Day ?
2) What's with the PICTURE POSTING during filling online application

Hi Umzy,

Difference between an Open Day and a Global Assessment Day: Basically - you need an invitation for the GAD - usually they invite 30-50 people for these events - all, are people who the recruiters feel, MIGHT, have potential to work as Cabin Crew with Emirates (dont get me wrong, lots of people are eliminated though). At an Open Day, however, anyone can show up - invited or not. The Open Day is actually a screening day to determine which candidates are suitable to attend a Preliminary Selection Process which is normally held the following day depending on the number of candidates - the Preliminary Selection Day and the Global Assessment Day are the exact same thing. (If it doesnt make sense you should look back in this forum and you will find much more information)

In regards to pictures - the online application will NOT be accepted if you do not post the required pictures with it. Emirates are strict with pictures and they can end up determining if you get the job or not - so make sure the pictures you send are clear. A lot of people say they have to be proffesional - but if you have a good digital camera I suggest you do them with a friend or something. Just make sure you have a plain background - business attire - and SMILE - hands to the side with good posture and you should be great. :ok:

Nemo24
22nd Dec 2006, 03:40
Hello All,

Emirates Girl- see you at the airport bright and early tomorrow morning! Should be a full-on day!

Good luck to everybody else. Put up with the waiting and persevere with everything and you should no doubt succeed.

Have been really lax with posting lately (so many things to organise! argh!) but i hope this improves while in dubai to give you all an insiders view!

Cheerio,

flyoneday
22nd Dec 2006, 12:35
hi all,
How are you all?
well am fine and today i went for my medicals,,,,,,,,,,ok not for EK (maybe will someday) but for our national carrier.am so excited all the same.
well,will wait and see n pray that all goes well.

Congrats to all who have made it to EK n for those of us waiting................we will get there sooner than we think.

God bless!!!

~

umzy
22nd Dec 2006, 14:03
Hey...
thanks for such a gr8 reply....really, got it 100%....

MMm... i must make my application somewat better now ... just completed in an hour ...lols....GAD in Manchester is on 16 Jan...
I'm not very much passionate abt tht, just saw the add in Metro Paper and browse the web.. now, may try my luck... lets see :p ...
ANy Tips and Tricks for Online Application ????:confused:
*anything will b acknalodged :)
Cheers...
....Safe Landings ;)

ak3141
22nd Dec 2006, 21:24
Hello ladies and gents,

It seems everyone seems to have their own, 'I know somebody that has been working as cabin crew with Emirates for the past 4 years and they're earning this much money,' story to tell and seem to think that their information is infalllible. What I'd like to know are the real details from Emirates cabin crew before I make the decision to move and work for the company. An informed decison is always a better decision!

I can understand that some of the information may be considered sensitive, so if you're a little hesitant to post it in the public forum just send me a PM. Any information received will be treated with the strictest of confidence and will only be used to make a decision about whether I'd like to join the company or not.

The following is the kind of information I'm looking for and any accurate information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- base pay
- average pay per month (including base and allowances)
- sick leave
- annual leave
- maximum working hours per day
- overtime rates of pay
- average flying hours and duty hours per month
- maximum flying hours and duty hours per month
- maximum consecutive working days
- average amount of reserve and available days per month and whether these are considered duty hours
- minimum amount of days off per month and whether these are single days or consecutive days
- minimum rest periods at home base and during layovers
- employee satisfaction and your thoughts about the company and living in Dubai
- any other staff incentives, bonuses, or information you may think relevant!

MSHOSTESS
23rd Dec 2006, 03:02
Hey Everyone !

YAY ! I just received my email saying that I can now go for my medical !

Didnt realise the medical was soooooo indepth, better safe than sorry tho I spose'.

i had all my blood tests and vaccinations, kinda feel like a pin coushin, all worth it tho !

Im now in waiting for the results (fingers crossed).

Does any body know the next step ? Do I just fax the results to Dubai & wait ? Whats happens now ?

Also, do u think its safe (if i dont have any nasty shocks in the medical), to tell friends & family im in ? or can can Emirates still turn u down at this point ?

YAYYAYAYAYYAYAYYAY - so excited to be joining u guys in the 'WAIT'.

merry christmas !

yungg
23rd Dec 2006, 03:11
Hello eveybody:
Im new here in PPuNe. And Ive read a lot of posts here,really helped.
But still I have a question,maybe sounds strange but I just wondering perhaps u guys could answer me this.
Ive heard that EK doesnt accept Cadin Crew from Taiwan anymore or maybe accept who's Taiwanese but has another country's passport. I kinda suprise about that cuz people in Taiwan still try so hard to get in EK.
Hope I was wrong about this cuz Im thinking about apply next year.
Thanks for answering my question.:)

ClaireChen
23rd Dec 2006, 04:57
Actually, I have asked this question before long. Nobody will know this answer because all of us are not EK recruiters. The only thing we can do now is to give a go. I was quite shocking as well when I heard this insider information. But I will still apply cabin crew position of EK next year. If you don't mind, maybe you can pm me to discuss about flight attendant drive next year. Go! Go!Go! never give up. Wish us best luck!

Casablanca85
26th Dec 2006, 16:35
I don`t know why Ek doesn`t want flight attendants from Taiwan! Don`t worry too much about this as they are expanding they will one day fly also to Taiwan! In my opinion don`t apply via internet, just go to an openday and give your best! If you go to an open day you don`t need to get an invitation for it! And there you can show them what Taiwanese (i hope it is correct:-) can do! And if they see you are good and that kind of person they are looking for everything will be good for you!! Just look, Ek doesn`t fly to Brazi but they recruit there! The same thing in Czech Republik and Bosnia and many other countries!!!! Don´t think that they do not want peple from countries they do not serve!!! I wish you good luck and the best for your future endeavours!!!

lei17
27th Dec 2006, 00:53
Hi MEG4, FIEVAL. EMIRATES GIRL AND ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTIONS...

I guess some of you are in the EK training right now. or about to leave for Dubai for the EK training.

I just got their email on Christmas Eve, confirming the start date. I only got 1 week to get my ticket and contract and do alll that coporate online induction thing. I don't know if that's enough time. What's funny is that they ask for a LETTER OF RESIGNATION of your previous employer, but on their email it says, DO NOT RESIGN until all terms and conditions is met. But, the most important thing is I'M REEEEEEEALY WORRIED about the actural training. wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what to prepare for when I get there.

So my questions are summarized below-

1/ They we have to have a formal letter of resignation from the previous employer? even though I was a causal employee at my previous employer?and what if people don't pass their EK training or Medicals? they come back Umemployed?

2/ Is the 3x3.5 cm blue background pic and the 20 passport size blue background the same pictures? Can they all be one single same pic just in different sizes? What did you guys prepare?

3/ Is there anything I can prepare for the EK training? other than improve my swimming a bit, what about all the other components? such as Maths, English, Geography, First Aid etc. What exactly is the level of these training. i.e- college math? and what grade do we need to get to pass it??

THANK YOU ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO ANSWER ME ANY ABOVE QUESTIONS! REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Casablanca85
27th Dec 2006, 18:28
-Employment contract: 3 years non-binding renewable contract
-Pay scale: Grade II: Basic monthly salary AED 3640 (1USD=3,673AED) Tax free
-Promotion: Based on performance, attendance and lenght of service
Flying Pay (per Hour)
-GradeII AED 49, Grade I AED 54,50, Grade I (first class) AED 60, Senior Flight Steward/ess AED 72,50, Purser AED 78,50, Flying pay is paid in the month following accrual

goyangee
28th Dec 2006, 20:25
:) Hi MEG4, FIEVAL. EMIRATES GIRL AND ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTIONS...

I guess some of you are in the EK training right now. or about to leave for Dubai for the EK training.

I just got their email on Christmas Eve, confirming the start date. I only got 1 week to get my ticket and contract and do alll that coporate online induction thing. I don't know if that's enough time. What's funny is that they ask for a LETTER OF RESIGNATION of your previous employer, but on their email it says, DO NOT RESIGN until all terms and conditions is met. But, the most important thing is I'M REEEEEEEALY WORRIED about the actural training. wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what to prepare for when I get there.

So my questions are summarized below-

1/ They we have to have a formal letter of resignation from the previous employer? even though I was a causal employee at my previous employer?and what if people don't pass their EK training or Medicals? they come back Umemployed?
i dont think so i didnt have the formal letter from my previous employer

2/ Is the 3x3.5 cm blue background pic and the 20 passport size blue background the same pictures? Can they all be one single same pic just in different sizes? What did you guys prepare?
you need 3 * 3.5 cm for sure but 20 pp size..hmm i sugest just 10 will be fine.. :ok:

3/ Is there anything I can prepare for the EK training? other than improve my swimming a bit, what about all the other components? such as Maths, English, Geography, First Aid etc. What exactly is the level of these training. i.e- college math? and what grade do we need to get to pass it??
first aid helps a lot...:cool:

THANK YOU ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO ANSWER ME ANY ABOVE QUESTIONS! REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

don't worry about the training just have fun with ur family and friend before u come DUBAI :D :D

umzy
28th Dec 2006, 20:29
hey all....
and Finally I submitted my online application to Emirates. Global Assesmant Day in Manchester is on 16Jan, lets hope they dont miss me :) ...

Thanks for all ur help... all ur posts were really helpful during making decision Whether Should I go or Not ...
I'll keep ya all update ... as soon as I hear something ...

Thanks again...
...another wannabe to Be......

IRISHEMIRATE
29th Dec 2006, 20:34
Hi Umzy,
Jst wanted to wish u gd luck for ur assessment day in Manchester, Im going for an open day in glasgow on the 27th Jan.

Lets hope were sucessful........:)

helfsich
30th Dec 2006, 13:37
Lei17 -

Things you could study before training college include the Airport Codes of Emirates destinations. Phonetic Alphabet is handy too. You don't really get tested on these until 4-5th week of training college, but there's a lot to digest, so it's best to get these out of the way. Studying English would help too if it's your 2nd language. Maths you don't need until business promotion.

It's rare that they reject you if you don't pass medicals unless its something major. If you need stuff done that doesn't get done in your home country they'll do it in Dubai and deduct it out of your salary.

umzy
31st Dec 2006, 13:56
Hey IRISHEMIRATE,

All the best for the open day, hope u'll do well.:)
...and
Happy New Year 2007 to ALL

Deedimond
31st Dec 2006, 20:23
Hi there
I hope to get to one of the open days (from Liverpool)

Do they frown upon married women applying?

Am I too old at 35? (I dont have any kids!)

Do they test your maths abilities :( EEEK!!!

Thanks!
Dee

umzy
1st Jan 2007, 12:42
Hi there
I hope to get to one of the open days (from Liverpool)

Do they frown upon married women applying?

Am I too old at 35? (I dont have any kids!)

Do they test your maths abilities :( EEEK!!!

Thanks!
Dee

Hey Dee,
erm.. i dont think there is any open day in liverpool for the month of Jan (only one open day in Glasgow and 3 Global Assesment Days in Jan; 2 in london, 1 in manchester)...
Cant say anything what the need ... believe me, its total random.. Y dont u just go for it ??? ... u never knew....and it really worth a try !

Nops, not tht much math skills required... just some normal math which i'm sure every1 can do... 2+2=? :O

All the best ....
Cheers
Umzy

ands
2nd Jan 2007, 06:17
I've recently submitted my (online) application to Emirates.

The system generated e-mail I received in reply said that if i was shortlisted i would be contacted when interviews were next scheduled in my country. However, the e-mail also said that if i hadn't heard from them in 3 months i should assume i have been unsuccessful.

Is it possible to be shortlisted and then have this 'lapse' because interviews haven't occured in your country in the 3 month period since you applied?

Thanks in advance!

EKwannabe
2nd Jan 2007, 08:01
Hey guys...
hope everyone has had a fab new year..
This is the first time im posting a message on this fantastic website..
although ive read every post for the past couple of months.
I live in Dubai, and recently applied with EK as cabin crew, went through the entire loop, all stages, final interviews etc..
I now have submitted my medicals, but still have not had anything in writing from the airline.
what happens next?
Cheers..

umzy
2nd Jan 2007, 11:21
I now have submitted my medicals, but still have not had anything in writing from the airline.
what happens next?

Next is waiting game :uhoh: ... they will probably reply u in timely manner (i'm being optimistic here though ..lols).... ..some do get reply in a week other in a month.... just wait.....
and hey ...
Welcome here ;) .... and be patience and keep us update :) ..
Cheers

fly_guy100
2nd Jan 2007, 19:37
If your still an Economy cabin crew, I forgot what the grade is called for Economy cabin crews, but is it possible for them to work in Business or First if they need them to? Just out of curioisty.

sue-pergirl
3rd Jan 2007, 03:09
Sorry if this question has been asked before....
I am currently going through the recruitment process and have completed the medical checks and emailed them to dubai. I asked for confirmation of their receipt of these items and am yet to have that confirmed??

The issue I have is how do I know :hmm: they have everything they need to continue processing my application? Anyone face a similar scenario? I have emailed twice and left a message via phone but at this stage nothing!

As i understand, I have satisfied the medical requirements and prior to that discussed a departure date of Feb 9th. Can anyone enlighten me??
I am trying to decipher my status so I can make the appropraite plans!

Any help is appreciated!...:ok:

EKwannabe
3rd Jan 2007, 05:17
hi sue-per girl...
im in the exact situation as you....i got a call and got a joining date as well...
but have not heard anything back yet..but EK did have almost a week long holiday this week, which did take things to a standstill...
so its just the waiting again!
cheers

EKwannabe
3rd Jan 2007, 05:20
If your still an Economy cabin crew, I forgot what the grade is called for Economy cabin crews, but is it possible for them to work in Business or First if they need them to? Just out of curioisty.
economy is grade 2, yes, and sometimes, you can be asked to operate first class or business if you need to...

helfsich
3rd Jan 2007, 17:32
Fly_guy100

With regards to economy crew working in business, yes, you may be asked to work there, but you usually get asked in briefing first and even then it's the most senior economy crew who gets shouldered the work. I've only done it once, and even though you don't get rostered the flight as a business class crew member, you can look and see how many Business class crew are short and guess whether or not you're going to get picked. You also get paid the J/C flying pay rate :-D

You are allowed to work one grade above, and one grade below your current position on a flight, ie, economy crew cannot go straight to first class. The only exception is from Business to Senior Flight Steward if the crew member is going for their SFS promotion. Or when it's a high density aircraft.

Hope that explains things.

JæDæ
4th Jan 2007, 08:14
Hi! I'm new on this forum and I have been reading this forum for 2-3 weeks. EK just called today but I was not at home and I missed the call:sad: . Would they call again :uhoh: or it was like once in a lifetime call???:( If they would call would it sooner or should I wait for weeks or months??

EKwannabe
4th Jan 2007, 08:30
where are you based?
i would call EK back.

cirrus17
4th Jan 2007, 11:47
I'm in!!!!! :)
15 days till I fly, wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

good good good luck to everyone going on interviews and group days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyoneday
4th Jan 2007, 12:19
hello all,
Hope that you are all fine.
i got the job with Kenya Airways(KQ)-our national carrier .
starting training on monday..8th Jan 2007.
Guess its a step closer to EK!

~

JæDæ
4th Jan 2007, 13:20
just after ı came back and saw missed call, I called them back but answering machine was on, I left my name and details and told the reason why ı couldn't answer the phone.
Now, would they call me back???:confused:

flyoneday
5th Jan 2007, 04:56
Hey, JæDæ

I dont work for EK but i believe those guyz are very professional. They would not fail you because you were not home to take their call and atleast you called them back! I also know that they work from 7am - 3pm(cabin crew department) so maybe you called when there was no one in the office.Then again,their weekend is Friday and Saturday so maybe they will get back to you on Sunday or next week.Don't worry,i bet all is well!

Do keep us posted.

~

MSHOSTESS
6th Jan 2007, 07:47
hi ppl !

I got my fly out date - 9 Feb , SO SO SO excited/nervous.

Just finishing my medicals now.

I big thank you for every ones help with my many annoying questions.

Just shows dreams do come true, still hasn't hit me yet, very surreal.

Happy New Year.

Deedimond
6th Jan 2007, 17:45
Do you know where the GAD is on 16th Jan in Manchester???

Thanks DeeDimond

umzy
6th Jan 2007, 18:54
Do you know where the GAD is on 16th Jan in Manchester???

Hey...
Its at Radisson Sas hotel, the one beside the airport .. (just to make u feel better tht IF u do well, u'll see those planes, fly them ;) )...
and a u know, its only by Invitation . I havnt got any mail yet :hmm: ...
Hope for the best !!!
Cheers

JæDæ
7th Jan 2007, 08:51
Hi, Ek called this morning at 7 a.m.again and my fly out date is 16th February . Im still preparing my medical tests. I will let you know the news.
Thank you so much

isisnra
7th Jan 2007, 09:19
Hi all,

My first ever post on pprune.:) Hopefully one of many more to come...
Anyway, was wondering if anyone here attended the Emirates open day held in Singapore on the 6th of Jan at the Holiday Inn atrium. Would love to hear how it went and how many ppl attended, etc.

Isis

Samara
7th Jan 2007, 10:38
Hi there everyone,

I have a question that I would like to put to any of you who are currently employed at Emirates, particularly those of you who are employed as cabin crew, work in cabin crew recruitment, or anyone who works in the flying sections of Emirates who might be able to answer my question.

I have heard that there is an age restriction for those who are applying for the position of Emirates Cabin crew, despite it not being stated on their cabin crew application/website information page. I have heard that Emirates will not consider anyone much over the age of 30.

I also recently came accross an ex-cabin crew recruiter who used to work for Emirates and who left Emirates not that long ago to work for another airline. This person said that Emirates would not consider anyone over the age of 35.

Is there anyone out there who can definitely confirm or deny this rumour?

I also came accross someone who had attended two separate open days for Emirates cabin crew last year in Auckland and felt that she didn't get a look in due to the fact that she was 37.

I would be most grateful to anyone who might be able to provide an answer.

Gucci77
8th Jan 2007, 11:14
hi I work for EK i know that age restriction used to be 30 not long ago, but i recently heard on flights that it has been changed to 35... how old are you if i might ask? i think you should apply and give it ago you never know!

JæDæ
8th Jan 2007, 20:26
I talked my friends whom made the final interviews today, EK let them know their fly out date and they submitted thier medical reports. It has 2 weeks and they didn't still hear about their situation from EK. because they quit from their jobs according to news. do you know when will EK will let them know, how many days before their flight?

sue-pergirl
8th Jan 2007, 21:27
Hi JD

I am in the same boat as your friends and general consensus has it that EK goes pretty quiet now til you get that elusive package on your doorstep containing ticket and contract....!
It does seem odd that such a professional airline would suddenly leave you guessing at this stage of the game- but from what I understand, if you're 'out' then they will tell you straight away to get your file off the desk....So I believe that no news is good news and all should be ok...?

Anyone care to comment?

I have asked, via email and phone, for a status report or confirmation that they have everything they need but thus far- no response!:suspect:
I am operating on blind faith that a week prior to departure I will receive a ticket and then spend a few days running around like a headless chicken getting organised!

Does anyone know if EK actually calls your referees? If so, I thought this may be a way to track your progress.. If they call them obviously you're moving through the system...?hmmm

Samara
9th Jan 2007, 07:22
hi I work for EK i know that age restriction used to be 30 not long ago, but i recently heard on flights that it has been changed to 35... how old are you if i might ask? i think you should apply and give it ago you never know!

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. I will be turning 40 soon. I spoke to a friend of a friend of a friend who recently atttended an open day in London who posed the question to the Emirates recruiters. He said that their response was that they had no upper end age restriction, only a lower one being minimum age of 20. However, he said that the friend who was 38 didn't get invited to the next day of interviews after the information day.

I'm pretty sure that I read on this site somewhere that someone's wife was going to apply and she was in her 40's and whether Emirates crew thought she had a chance. I might be getting confused though, not sure if she was intending to apply to Emirates.

Perhaps the recruiters just say that they don't have an upper age limit for discrimination reasons but are told not to accept anyone over the age of 35.

I guess you're right though, you don't know unless you try. I just think that if it is the case, I wish they would put it in print like other airlines do, especially those in the middle east who do advertise an upper age limit. That way you would know if you were wasting your time and theirs or not.

Either way, if you hear of anything for sure, I'd be most grateful for any more info.

Thanks again.

cabincat
9th Jan 2007, 08:10
JD, sue-pergirl,
I am cabin crew here at Emirates and can confirm this sort of thing is normal and happens all the time.
They can keep people in the dark until only days before their departure and suddenly you will receive your contract and tickets.
The best thing to do is keep in close contact with your cabin crew recruitment co-ordinator and call them every day to check your status. You need to remember that they are pumping out 60 ab-initio crew a week from the training college and they dont really have the infrastructure to deal with such mass expansion no matter how glossy their website and advertising is.
There are crew who graduated over a month ago still not flying because of a delay in the printing of their flying licences.
Trust me... the ride is only just beginning for you. Patience....:hmm:

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 09:11
This thread has becime quite large now, so for housekeeping reasons, and for ease of use, it is now being closed and a new thread opened.
There are in fact, two new threads - one for use by those who may be seeking work with Emirates and have questions about the recruiment process, and the other for those who are actually employed as Crew by Emirates to discuss issues affecting their work.

So please choose the appropriate thread, either

EMIRATES - Wannabees & Recruitment (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259102)

or

EMIRATES - Crew Discussions (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259103)