PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

Pages : 1 [2] 3

klinitco
13th Oct 2006, 12:23
I have to agree with flyoneday, helfsich I really appreciate the very straight answers you give, it's nice to have some sort of insight into what life could be like with Emirates.

sandramm
13th Oct 2006, 15:59
Helfsich:

thanks a lot for the answer.

This forum is amazing, people are so cool and always willing to help !!!

Simply amazing :) :) :)

Sandra

Casablanca85
13th Oct 2006, 16:33
Hey Guys! I have just registered myself to attend the Emirates Openday on October 28th in Paris! I just got the confirmation Email of receiving my application! Can everybody attend this openday or dou you have to wait until they send you a "special" invitation by email for example?? Thank you for your help:)

helfsich
13th Oct 2006, 18:57
I have to agree with flyoneday, helfsich I really appreciate the very straight answers you give, it's nice to have some sort of insight into what life could be like with Emirates.

Awe, shucks :O . It's my pleasure.

I just remember how clueless me and the rest of our abinitio were when we started off, and how a forum like this was exactly what everyone needed! Any questions you guys have I'll be more than happy to answer.

Amowers - Congratulations and best wishes for the future. That story was really beautiful.

amowers
13th Oct 2006, 20:48
Thanks helfsich! Your information really helps too...answering a lot of my questions before they even pop into my head, which is always great. hehe. Thanks again!!

Awe, shucks :O . It's my pleasure.

I just remember how clueless me and the rest of our abinitio were when we started off, and how a forum like this was exactly what everyone needed! Any questions you guys have I'll be more than happy to answer.

Amowers - Congratulations and best wishes for the future. That story was really beautiful.

OzyOS
14th Oct 2006, 10:03
Hi All!...feeling very relieved as just got word that medicals are approved (they had to wait for me to get a very suprise root canal done yesterday, fitting for Friday the 13th...ouch!)
I have been confirmed for start date on the 20th, and now need to really get things moving with my packing!! So much to do :eek:

Im taking my trusty laptop with me, so once internet up and running, will be able to stay in-touch :ok:

Also, amowers goodluck again for wedding...its an amazing day..I had a blast at mine!
Cheers :p

fly.high
14th Oct 2006, 13:04
Good luck to both of your and have a safe trip:)

Hope to see you in Dubai soon:):):):)

OzyOS
14th Oct 2006, 16:03
thanks fly.high! Best wishes to you as well with your application :ok:

amowers
14th Oct 2006, 21:44
Good luck to both of your and have a safe trip:)

Hope to see you in Dubai soon:):):):)

Thank you fly.high!!! Thats so nice of you. Good luck with everything!

ChocolatBabe
15th Oct 2006, 12:38
Hi everyone! Has anyone noticed that the old Emirates thread is gone? :confused: Have the moderators taken it out? :uhoh: Its a treasure-laden trunk of information, and it's goooonnnneeee......!! :{

Can we have it back dear, kind, understanding, beautiful, wonderful moderators??? :sad:

OZyOS: Congrats!! Please do stay in touch with us who are still left behind.. You've been a great contributor and friend here in PPrune.
Casablanca85: I dont think anyone has to receive an invitation to the OpenDay. Im going to mine on the 21st without one, purely because the experienced ones here have advised those in this position to just GO! :p

OzyOS
15th Oct 2006, 13:51
Bless your heart chocolatbabe, thats very sweet of you, Im going to do my best to stay intouch although I think it will take some weeks to get internet connection...but Im going to do my best! :ok:
Ive been running around like a mad-woman trying to organise my life into a suitcase (just wish i could put my little dog in there also :bored:)

Goodluck everyone else! And please attend open days even if your not invited, I did and now heading out in 4 days!

TightSlot
15th Oct 2006, 15:34
Nothing has been deleted - it's all still there - use search, or just go back a few pages

oneworldairline
15th Oct 2006, 16:38
Hey guys...

THey just posted the melbourne date for November!

Is anyone planning to go to the recruitment drive? its on the 18th November at 900 sharp so if anyone wants to maybe go and meet up would be great...

cheers

klinitco
16th Oct 2006, 04:19
I found (well was directed to really) this video on YouTube made by Emirates cabin crew. It's a bunch of them singing "Make someone's day" to the tune of oh happy day? Were any of you Emirates ppl on here involved in it, looks like a fun thing to do and it highlights one of the things I think would be exciting about Emirates - the multicultural crew!

Casablanca85
16th Oct 2006, 16:38
Thank you for your help! I will attend the Openday in Paris! It will be on October 28th and I am flying to Paris from Germany! I hope to make it through and that Emirates will offer me a further step! we will see! Anyhow, i wish all candidates who are planning to attend an opnday of Emirates good luck and maybe we see eachother in dubai or during a flight serving some coffee:-))))):O

Londonlads
17th Oct 2006, 16:54
I hear a long serving purser who left a couple of years ago is about to hit the skies with Emirates again! Great news if the rumour is true!

londonlads

cckat
18th Oct 2006, 00:39
Hey All,
Is anyone attending the open day in ADL in November?
I just finished crewing with a company and in only two weeks realised how much I missed it - I always wanted to work for Emirates anyway, so I figured now was as good a time as any.

cosmopolitian
18th Oct 2006, 00:53
hi all :) ,
i want to know does ek really equal to everyone?what about the life style there?and any ek cabin crew can tell me r u happy there?
thanks a lot

urworthit
18th Oct 2006, 02:00
HI~ there,,

i'm new in this forum..

recently i went open day in vancouver..

is anyone who went there??

i'm waiting for the result...

waiting for results is killing me..

fly.high
18th Oct 2006, 11:40
:) hi there .. good luck on your open day interview .. wish you the best .. i have my global assessment this 22nd =):)

ChocolatBabe
18th Oct 2006, 12:56
Hi everyone! Ive finally completed step zero, and that is to complete and submit the application form online. :} the open day is in 2 weeks time. even if i dont hear a reply from them, i should just 'invite' myself to the open house right? im soooo nervous! anyone else going for the open house in KL on the 21st?

Peace to u all.

guess what? I did receive an invitation for the open house! :} (though they told me to reply by 4pm whereas I received the email at 4.50pm) im surprisingly cool now though the open day is just 2 days away. is there really no one thats gonna attend the KL open house on the 21st? :sad:

keep posting you guys!

calvink
18th Oct 2006, 13:29
I was wondering why in malaysia ..they dont open up the recruitment for guys...it was only for gals all these while....

OzyOS
18th Oct 2006, 13:29
Eeeekkkk :eek: Just found out start date pushed back until 27th (possibly even 3rd Nov). Taking time to get my visa due to Ramadan! (hope spelling is right??) Oh well, bit of a blessing in disguise asctually as I get to spend bit more time with Hubby and my little pooch! :ok:

flyoneday
18th Oct 2006, 13:41
Ozyos
Just need you to please confirm for mi something,,,,,you are married?
so i guess they do pick even those who are huh? that is nice to know!

ChocolateBabe n Fly.high
I wish you both all the best.Go n show them wat u gat!
keep us posted!

~
flyoneday :ok:

ChocolatBabe
18th Oct 2006, 15:52
Casablanca85
Wow! you are travelling thousands of miles just to get to an open day? i admire your persistence. :) I hope everything turns out the way you want it to be, so good luck. :)
Flyoneday
thanks for the well wishes. ;) what is the situation u are in, by the way? are u waiting for something? (dont we all? :p )

OzyOS
18th Oct 2006, 15:59
Hi flyoneday, yep, definately married and have been happily for over 2 years now! Hubby is also in the industry (but not with EK) so its easy for us to work. EK never use to hire married FA's but since then have seen the light :ok:

katjuscha
18th Oct 2006, 16:14
Eeeekkkk :eek: Just found out start date pushed back until 27th (possibly even 3rd Nov). Taking time to get my visa due to Ramadan! (hope spelling is right??) Oh well, bit of a blessing in disguise asctually as I get to spend bit more time with Hubby and my little pooch! :ok:

Hi OzyOS, I´m feeling with you, they changed my date of travel three times...
My date of travel is 3rd November and I wish I could go earlier since there is nothing else to do here... I´m sitting around the entire day spending my money to starbucks while having coffee with friends...
I really wanna start flying again!!! I miss it so much!!!!!!!!
:mad:

urworthit
18th Oct 2006, 17:16
fly.high (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=150935)

When did you get your result?

do you apply for through the emirates web site?? or did you attend the open day??

ANd..Good luck to you!!

helfsich
18th Oct 2006, 19:58
hi all :) ,
i want to know does ek really equal to everyone?what about the life style there?and any ek cabin crew can tell me r u happy there?
thanks a lot

Hey there Cosmopolitan -

Been with EK since December. I'm still in the honeymoon stage, loving flying and travelling and such. The Dubai night life is very good, esp if you like to party, there's a particular nightclub that goes off on each night of the week. And you have the beach, shopping, and desert driving, and Ski Dubai, and so many other things within Dubai, plus all the wonderful things you get to do overseas. Some crew who are leaving behind partners in their home country, tend not to last that long, and return home fresh out of training college, but sometimes the desire to travel is just too much. There's also a lot to learn about the Muslim culture if you're not normally exposed to it in your home country. It's very easy to live a happy life here, make friends, and the contacts you make in college stay with you for ages.

Also, Klintco mentioned the "Make Someone's Day video" they show at recruitment. Just to give you guys a heads up...On graduation day they get the new cabin crew to do a performance in abinitio groups at a time. There's a song played, you dance to it, and that's pretty much it. Don't freak out about it, You don't have to sing, and no one will hassle you about it for the remainder of your flying career, but you do have to do something a little fun. It's something to ask at the open day, that's for sure...

Casablanca85
18th Oct 2006, 20:21
Casablanca85

do you apply for through the emirates web site?? or did you attend the open day??

Hi I have not attended the open day yet! It will be nest friday in Paris (Courtyard by Marroitt Hotel at Paris Charles de gaulle Airport) I have just booked my flight with air France but it is so good that I have relatives in Paris I can stay at, so that I can refresh myself for the final step:-) I registered myself online for the Openday! but I think that they do not send a special Invitation for the openday, do they? Well i will do my utmost to get the job as cc at EK!

Casablanca85
18th Oct 2006, 20:30
Casablanca85
Wow! you are travelling thousands of miles just to get to an open day? i admire your persistence. :) I hope everything turns out the way you want it to be, so good luck. :)
Flyoneday
thanks for the well wishes. ;) what is the situation u are in, by the way? are u waiting for something? (dont we all? :p )

ChocolateBabe

It is just an hour flight from dusseldorf (germany) to Paris for 120€ return! I will stay there at my oncle´s:-) But I did not receive an invitation for the Open Day in Paris, is this correct?? I read so much that many guys here went without invitation to the Ek Day and they`ve been finbally given a job! And further on the Openday is an information day as said on the homepage of EK! Anyhow, i will go and we will see! but note that I will contact you again to tell you how it was! I`m not nervous at all! Wish me good luck guys - i will need it!!!:ugh:

Best regards!

urworthit
19th Oct 2006, 01:44
Hi I have not attended the open day yet! It will be nest friday in Paris (Courtyard by Marroitt Hotel at Paris Charles de gaulle Airport) I have just booked my flight with air France but it is so good that I have relatives in Paris I can stay at, so that I can refresh myself for the final step:-) I registered myself online for the Openday! but I think that they do not send a special Invitation for the openday, do they? Well i will do my utmost to get the job as cc at EK!

Good luck to you!!! Casablanca85!! Go for it.

you don't need to register for open day.. all you have to do is just attending open day with your updated resume..

today.. i got an invitation for assessment day on sunday..

horray~~...

i just made it through on the first step.. but.. alreay i'm excited...

anyway..

fly.high,,

are you in vancouver??

Good luck to you!!

Good luck to us all!!

flyoneday
19th Oct 2006, 05:17
Flyoneday

hi ChocolatBabe,
yes,iam waiting to be invited for a global assessment day.i have not been successful twice before and they dont hold open days anywhere near where i live..:{
Oh,well.we will get there one sweet day.
all the best to us all!

~

OzyOS
19th Oct 2006, 05:56
LOL, Im hearing you Katjuscha! It will be so nice to get back up in the air again!! Starbucks will be making some money from me also in the meantime.....between you and I we will be keeping them in business!
If the G/S on the 27th proves to be too full, then I guess I'll be seeing you on the 3rd....exciting :ok:

OzyOS
19th Oct 2006, 06:05
Hey flyoneday and Casablanca85, I just wanted to wish you both the best of luck with making your dreams come true. I know it can be very dis-heartening and tough for some who are trying to brake into to this industry :ugh: Stay positive and focused and soon enough it will be your time:D

Cheers:p

cosmopolitian
19th Oct 2006, 06:57
hi felfsich
thank u so much,i am considering applying that.wish u enjoy ur happy life:)

katjuscha
19th Oct 2006, 09:29
fly.high,,

are you in vancouver??

Good luck to you!!
Good luck to us all!!

Casablanca85, Fly.high, urworthit and anybody else who goes to an open day this weekend: GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!!

Do your best, keep smiling and let yourself shine from your heart! I hope, you will make it!!! Keep us updating what will happen! :ok:

Hope to see you in Dubai...

AMOWERS: Just one day left... Wish you a wonderful wedding. Enjoy that important day!!!!!! All the best for you... :)

fly.high
19th Oct 2006, 10:58
fly.high (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=150935)

ANd..Good luck to you!!

hi unworthit .. i applied thru the emirates website and went to the local agency for the preliminary screening .. received an email from the local agency with all the instructions about 3 weeks prior to the assessment date.. this sunday is my assessment day and i am super nervous!!!:)
thanks and good luck to you too :)

flyoneday,

thanks sooo much .. i wish you all the best too and hope you get your invitation sooooon;)

chocolatbabe
good luck to you on the open day interview .. my assessment is one day after yours .. :)

katjuscha
thanks a lot .. i hope i make it, i really wanted this job :) :)

Casablanca85
19th Oct 2006, 11:53

you don't need to register for open day.. all you have to do is just attending open day with your updated resume..

today.. i got an invitation for assessment day on sunday..

horray~~...

i just made it through on the first step.. but.. alreay i'm excited...

anyway..

fly.high,,

are you in vancouver??

Good luck to you!!

Good luck to us all!!

Many many thanks to all of you!!!! Ok I`m 21 years old but at present working as a bank clerk in Germany and it is so boring!!!!! I like those assessementdays where they want to see how you act! And it will be a great pleasure for me to show them what i young guy can do....:-) I will give my best because my dream ever has been that of working for Emirates Airlines!!!!! Good luck to everyone and keep staying relaxed and thinking positive!!

black sheep X
19th Oct 2006, 14:39
Hehe,fellow PPruners,the day has come for us in Romania as well.Me and 2 of my friends are going to the open day in Bucharest on Sunday the 22nd.We've done our homework properly,did the photos,updated CV's and got the files ready in case we get through.We could use some good vibes coming from all of you and maybe some last minute tips from the people who attended interviews recently.

Does anyone have any idea if Emirates would normally let us know via the the website in case they're not looking for male cabin crew?It would be really frustrating to get there and be told that unfortunately it's a female only interview.Hope that's not the case,but u know how people get before the interview,there are so many "IFs".
Goodluck to everyone else attending interviews this weekend and the weeks to come.

li777
19th Oct 2006, 15:33
Hey everyone, I am new on pprune.This is my first post :O here.
Well, does anybody here is gonna be in the next Assessment held in Sao Paulo, Brazil? When is it? I know it will be taken in Sao Paulo,but I know when :ugh: ......
Hopeful to hear from you soon and I will see you there;)

OzyOS
19th Oct 2006, 16:41
Hey li777, regarding information about open days and assessment days, you will find all you need to know on the EK website under 'about Emirates' then 'Careers' this leads you to the 'Cabin Crew Opportunities' section.
Best of luck! :p

Ivana
20th Oct 2006, 22:37
Hehe,fellow PPruners,the day has come for us in Romania as well.Me and 2 of my friends are going to the open day in Bucharest on Sunday the 22nd.We've done our homework properly,did the photos,updated CV's and got the files ready in case we get through.We could use some good vibes coming from all of you and maybe some last minute tips from the people who attended interviews recently.

Does anyone have any idea if Emirates would normally let us know via the the website in case they're not looking for male cabin crew?It would be really frustrating to get there and be told that unfortunately it's a female only interview.Hope that's not the case,but u know how people get before the interview,there are so many "IFs".
Goodluck to everyone else attending interviews this weekend and the weeks to come.

Hey black sheep! I have to tell you that you won't be a black sheep on the open day as there will be many guys. At least there was many guys in Belgrade last weekend. I've passed all the tests and eliminations:) with 30 other people of which 7 guys. Now Im' waiting for the answer! I'm very excited and scared.:rolleyes: I think I'll have the longest 6 weeks in my life! Good luck to you black sheep.:ok: And who knows, maybe we meet in Dubai.:)

Wwilko
21st Oct 2006, 07:29
hello everyone,

I'm flying in a week to Dubai and i don't know what to take with me...
how is the weather now? what do u advise me to take with me?
i'd appreciate all the advices and recommendations...

regards,

wwilko

OzyOS
21st Oct 2006, 08:24
Hey Wwilko!

I know its dificult trying to organise your life into a suitcase, Im at that stage myself! Regrading the weather do an internet search for weather in Dubai and you will be able to get the weather outlooks for the week ahead etc.
Make sure you take a mix of cool and warm clothes as although Dubai is known for its hot weather there is a period where you will need some warmer clothing as it can become cooler at night, also remember that when flying as Cabin Crew you will be travelling to destinations that are freezing over winter, so this is when the warmer clothes will come in handy :ok: . I also made sure to pack some products (hair, skin etc) that Im not too sure if I can buy in Dubai, just enough to get me through until I can find suitable replacements. But thats about it! They provide us with enough to get us started form ground level and once you get in the swing of knowing where everything is over there, you will be set up in no time!

I may be heading out in the week also (porviding the ground school has a spot to squeeze me in!) otherwise will be over the week following...so might cross paths!

All the best...happy packing! :D

Casablanca85
21st Oct 2006, 11:22
Hey black sheep! I have to tell you that you won't be a black sheep on the open day as there will be many guys. At least there was many guys in Belgrade last weekend. I've passed all the tests and eliminations:) with 30 other people of which 7 guys. Now Im' waiting for the answer! I'm very excited and scared.:rolleyes: I think I'll have the longest 6 weeks in my life! Good luck to you black sheep.:ok: And who knows, maybe we meet in Dubai.:)

Hey Guys! I wish you good luck! Emirates is looking for female and male cc, so do your thing and show them that you are the one they are looking for:-) Well I will attend my openday next friday in Paris and I am very exited about it! Today I took some photos, expensive but very professionally! I hope that I will make it too!!! Good luck again and please let us know how it was in Bucharest:-)

Kind regards

Wwilko
21st Oct 2006, 14:22
hi ;)

i've another question...
what do u do when u arrive?
u've few days before the training?
do the medical check ups take place during that time?

OzyOS
21st Oct 2006, 16:28
I believe you have your aviation medical with Emirates, uniforms, general joining formalities as new crew and a tour of the city to get you comfortable. my girlfriend (who use to be EK Crew) had some sort of shopping tour factored in there aswell. It gives you enough time to settle in before the real work begins!! I think there is around 5 days before you begin Ground school.

helfsich
21st Oct 2006, 18:05
hi ;)

i've another question...
what do u do when u arrive?
u've few days before the training?
do the medical check ups take place during that time?

Hi Wwilko!

Well, lets say you arrive on Saturday... you have the rest of the saturday to set yourself up, buy groceries, toaster and iron etc...

Sunday is the induction day, where you meet your batchmates, get your advance, hand in your forms, get fitted for the uniform, fill in next of kin details, and are explained how you're assessed in training. You also get a fire safety briefing by this guy called Helmut :-)

Monday is an induction day follow up. You do class interaction, which includes EK employees from engineering, pilots, IT, ground staff etc. You also get your ID photo taken and blood taken for testing. I highly suggest you wear a shirt in which the sleeve can be rolled up past the elbow - they'll take the blood from the back of the hand otherwise which isn't pleasent if you hadn't had it done before.

Tuesday is Medicals. Anything that isn't completed before you arrive in Dubai is done here. You also get your Meningicoccal and Yellow Fever vaccines here, free of charge :-) They explain here all the workings of the EK Clinic and how it applies to crew.

Wednesday is Grooming Day. You arrive in full uniform but in minimal makeup, and you should bring every bit of make up you have so the grooming instructor can advise you on appropriate colours etc. They give you a list on the first day of induction as to what you need to bring in addition to your makeup.

Thurday's first day of Safety & Emergency Procedures!

Hope that helps. It might get rearranged a tad depending how many are inducted during the week.

OzyOS
21st Oct 2006, 18:26
Cheers for that info helfsich, helps put things into a better perspective :ok:

cckat
23rd Oct 2006, 08:36
I know everyone here says if you're not invited to the open day to just turn up anyway, but I'm wondering if Emirates would tell you you've NOT been sucessful via email before the open day????

icekidro
23rd Oct 2006, 14:48
Hello

I had my interview with Emirates, and i failed again after the discussion group. I have talked with a friend of mine who is a recruiter(not at an airline company) and she told me the she don't know what they are looking for exactly.

As the 1st time I failed also after the discussion group, maybe I'm not what they need. :ugh:

iuli21
23rd Oct 2006, 16:41
... but I'm wondering if Emirates would tell you you've NOT been sucessful via email before the open day???? if you apply online and you meet the minimum requirements then u will receive an invitation, u don't receive any e-mail/feed-back if u don't meet the requirements.

OzyOS
23rd Oct 2006, 16:54
Hey cckat, regardless of feedback from your online application, an open day means just that "Open for anyone to show up" Global Assesment days are when you need an invite. I just turned up on an open day and made it through (starting training in a week or so) dont worry about your online application. If there is an open day you can attend, just turn up as long as you meet the requirments indicated on their website (height etc) and Goodluck:ok:

OzyOS
23rd Oct 2006, 17:02
Hey icekidro, shame to hear about you not making it through the interview process, I really do feel for you, but please dont give up, if you truely want this let nothing stand in your way...because one day it will be your turn:D . Just a little suggestion and that is to apply for as many airlines as you can, make sure all your eggs aren't in one basket, as this will give you many more opportunities to look forward to...Best of Luck!

Casablanca85
23rd Oct 2006, 17:49
Hey Guys! Does anybody know the phone number of Emirates Headoffice? It would be a great help! Thanks!
:ugh:

emirates_girl
24th Oct 2006, 00:13
Hi !

I went to the Emirates recruitment in Brisbane on Oct 7. I made it right through the final round and am currently getting my medicals done. my departure date to Dubai is December 22..my training starts December 24...is anyone else flying out this date ? Or starting to train this date ?

For those in Dubai already....is it easy to make friends ? what is it like? What is the accommodation like ? Also, I am wondering abou packign clothes ? what do the females wear there ? I am aware it is more conservative, but am just wondering..how much ? haha...

All these questions ..sorry !

I can't wait to fly out in just less then 8 weeks !

EMILY
:D

FIEVAL
24th Oct 2006, 01:12
Hi guys,

Well its been awhile since the last time I have posted a reply, so much has happened,
AMOWNERS has left
OZY OS you are leaving a weeks time, that is awesome
MOTHERHEN havent heard from you in awhile how is your daughter going?
HELFSICH you are a wealth of knowledge, thank you for sharing your experiences and answering questios that us wannabe ek'ers ask!

Well my story it has been 22 days and counting since I submitted my medicals and I am still awaiting a response, the waiting is driving me crazy........the wost thing is I am scheduled to fly 25th November and I have to give at least a months notice to my current employee, it is now the 24th -1 day out from giving my notice and I still havent heard anything, to anyone who has already made it to this stage, does this part usually take this long?

Should I send an email to emirates asking about my application, or just sit tight and wait for their reply?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!:O

Nemo24
24th Oct 2006, 03:47
I'm just curious as to what the medicals exactly entail. Do they need you to do a pap smear and blood test (i have a huge fear of blood!) ??

Attended the open day in Perth on the 7th and proceeded to final interview on the 8th. Am now waiting....I hope to hear from them soon!

Anyone in here attended that open day?

OzyOS
24th Oct 2006, 05:30
Hi FIEVAL, I know how this waiting can be frustrating :ugh: definitely give them a call or shoot them an email. Since they are dealing with so many others from other countries, I think they lose track of everyones requirements. My travel date has come and gone (with barely anyone informing me of this), I just shot them an email and waiting for my new date to be confirmed of this Fri or the next! Goodluck and let us know how you go:ok:

mother hen
24th Oct 2006, 07:34
Hi all, mother hen here,

am still about fieval, hope all is well with you? I'm sure everything will be fine with your medicals, it all seems to happen in the last few weeks. My daughter asked for her joining date to be put back by 1 week and they were fine with it. I think you should give them a quick email, that's how my daughter kept in touch with them, and they were really good! My daughter has been there 6 weeks now(friday will be the start of her 7th), she graduated last thursday, and had her first flight yesterday! All went really well. She says she will be moving out of the hotel on the 26th of this month, but again it's only temporary accomodation. That's getting her down a bit, but that aside, she's loving it. She has made a great set of new friends of every nationality, and the crew she flew with yesterday were lovely. She worked as cabin crew before joining ek, but said ek is so different! I have lots of photos of her during her training and at the graduation ceremony, I must say I wish I was there!!!

I hope you hear soon with your medicals, and the very best of luck to you fieval, and everyone waiting to hear!
best wishes,
mother hen.

OzyOS
24th Oct 2006, 07:59
Hi Nemo24. Regarding the medicals, unfortunately you do need to take a blood test (in your country of residence and Im pretty sure in Dubai when you arrive to test for drugs). The blood tests are to test the levels of Haemoglobin (red blood cells that carry Oxygen) in your blood and also check for HIV. You will also need to have a number of injections for immunisation. A Pap smear is required taken within the last 3yrs, hope this helps, Best of Luck :ok: Cheers:p

katjuscha
24th Oct 2006, 10:40
Hi,
like so many others I´m preparing my trip to DXB and I´m not so sure about the residence thing. Do I need to have my registration in my homecountry? Do you get a permanent residence in Dubai? Must be, or...? Do they want me to have DXB in my passport as my permanent residence?? Does EK have a regulation about it or is it up to me, how I want to handle that??
Anybody some ideas...??
Thanks!!:confused:

Ex EK Trolley
24th Oct 2006, 13:22
Katjuscha dont worry about your passport and residence visa.Basically Emirates is your sponser and they provide the residence visa which enables you to stay in Dubai.You will give your passport to Emirates probably during the first week of training school and will then have to complete the residence reqirements ie HIV blood test. When the results of this are known your passport will have a residency visa valid for 3 years put in it and you will be given back your passport. Emirates takes care of everthing so dont worry. Every 3 years a new blood test is untaken and another residency visa will be issued.

Ex EK Trolley
24th Oct 2006, 13:41
[quote=emirates_girl;2925062]Hi !

I went to the Emirates recruitment in Brisbane on Oct 7. I made it right through the final round and am currently getting my medicals done. my departure date to Dubai is December 22..my training starts December 24...is anyone else flying out this date ? Or starting to train this date ?

For those in Dubai already....is it easy to make friends ? what is it like? What is the accommodation like ? Also, I am wondering abou packign clothes ? what do the females wear there ? I am aware it is more conservative, but am just wondering..how much ? haha...

All these questions ..sorry !

I can't wait to fly out in just less then 8 weeks !

Hi Emily and congratuations !

Shame you will miss christmas at home with your family and friends but perhaps you can have an early one before coming to Dubai.

Dont worry you will make loads of new friends as you will be part of an abitino group who usually all live in the same buliding and bascially spent 6 weeks studying and usually socialising together...you wont be on your own even if you want too !!

Luckily for you Dubai has a huge shopping festival which starts 22 Dec for about 2 months so make sure you bring plenty of pennies to go shopping for your new clothes and things for your apartment. Dubai has one of the largest shopping malls in the world so you really are spolit for choice.
December weather is cool and we do get rain and storms so make sure you pack an umbrella and a few sweatshirts or jumpers. The airconditioning in the malls and restaurants make covering up a must !
Be sensible dont go to the mall or walk down the road in a mini skirt or micro shorts but 3/4 pants and strappy teeshirts are okay. At night just dress as you would at home, jeans and a little top is acceptable.
I do understand that the initial accomodation is temporary maybe a hotel but once you graduate you will likely move to an already established tower and share with 1 or 2 other girls or maybe you will be lucky and move to a brand new building with your new mates. The accomodation is well maintained and very comfortable and basically Emirates looks after you providing everything from free uniform drycleaning , crew transport and security at the buildings. Youll be so busy at the beginning you wont have time to miss home so enjoy your last 8 weeks because it may be a few more months until you get home again ! Eid Murbarak!!!

magicmorris
24th Oct 2006, 15:31
Hey im sat at home waiting now for the rest of the details! Im due to join EK next friday (3rd Nov) and still no news! :uhoh: Have sent them an email today so hopefully should get some news soon! Anyone else heard anything?

Tom

katjuscha
24th Oct 2006, 15:54
Katjuscha dont worry about your passport and residence visa.Basically Emirates is your sponser and they provide the r so dont worry. Every 3 years a new blood test is untaken and another residency visa will be issued.

Thanks a lot for your information!! Still thinking about this registration think... I hate bureaucracy things... I guess, this is why I´m a ca and not a secretary... ;-)

Casablanca85
24th Oct 2006, 16:13
Hey Guys!!! It`s me again! The time is running and my great day is on Friday! Well I have everything: Business Attire, updatet CV, professional photos but I would like to know how do made it through! All i know is that they play a video and than you can ask some questions! Is this all or what kind of tips can you give me to make it also through! I am so exited about it and I really hope that I`ll become cc at EK!!!!

katjuscha
24th Oct 2006, 16:23
Hey Guys!!! It`s me again! The time is running and my great day is on Friday! Well I have everything: Business Attire, updatet CV, professional photos but I would like to know how do made it through! All i know is that they play a video and than you can ask some questions! Is this all or what kind of tips can you give me to make it also through! I am so exited about it and I really hope that I`ll become cc at EK!!!!

Hi Casablanca85,
check the thread, you´ll find a lot of useful informations!! They will do various roleplay-games and teamwork discussions. Try to be yourself, warmhearted, friendly and helpful, show sympathy for others and give your heart to customers-satisfaction without loosing your own personality!! ,-)
Of course they will do an english-test for non-native speakers, in my experience a lot of people fail. If you make this test and you look lovely and have a attracting personality, you should make it to an interview!!!
Good luck to you!!!!

Casablanca85
24th Oct 2006, 16:31
Hi Casablanca85,
check the thread, you´ll find a lot of useful informations!! They will do various roleplay-games and teamwork discussions. Try to be yourself, warmhearted, friendly and helpful, show sympathy for others and give your heart to customers-satisfaction without loosing your own personality!! ,-)
Of course they will do an english-test for non-native speakers, in my experience a lot of people fail. If you make this test and you look lovely and have a attracting personality, you should make it to an interview!!!
Good luck to you!!!!

Hi katjuscha,

thanks! It is an openday! Is that correct that they do several tests?? Is it also correct that open days are opened for everybody who is interested in joining EK??

katjuscha
24th Oct 2006, 16:49
Yes!! Everybody can show up on this day! They ask you, if you know that this job is located in Dubai and if everybody is aware of that fact.

Don´t worry about that!!
Show up on time and give your best.
The process might be change a little... but they collect your cv´s and pictures, they give you a number, maybe they measure your height, they´ll do this english-test (it´s not a grammar-one, it´s about understanding) and they´ll devide you into two (?) groups and give you some group-games. it´s fun!!
Sure, they will circle you and write down a lot of things you´ll never have a look at, but don´t worry to much about this... ;-)
Try to sleep well before this day, it´s gonna be a very long one and you´ll have to keep smiling whole the time!!! like on a real flight...

Make some friends there as soon as possible, it´t not a competition and it is much easier for you if you feel comfortable in the group!

Have a good time!

(to everybody: this is my experience with open days in europe. it might be different in asia or brazil or whereeveritsheld!!)

Hi katjuscha,

thanks! It is an openday! Is that correct that they do several tests?? Is it also correct that open days are opened for everybody who is interested in joining EK??

Casablanca85
24th Oct 2006, 17:11
Yes!! Everybody can show up on this day! They ask you, if you know that this job is located in Dubai and if everybody is aware of that fact.

Don´t worry about that!!
Show up on time and give your best.
The process might be change a little... but they collect your cv´s and pictures, they give you a number, maybe they measure your height, they´ll do this english-test (it´s not a grammar-one, it´s about understanding) and they´ll devide you into two (?) groups and give you some group-games. it´s fun!!
Sure, they will circle you and write down a lot of things you´ll never have a look at, but don´t worry to much about this... ;-)
Try to sleep well before this day, it´s gonna be a very long one and you´ll have to keep smiling whole the time!!! like on a real flight...

Make some friends there as soon as possible, it´t not a competition and it is much easier for you if you feel comfortable in the group!

Have a good time!

(to everybody: this is my experience with open days in europe. it might be different in asia or brazil or whereeveritsheld!!)

Tnak you thank you thankl you!!!!!!! Now i am feeling very very great and believe me - iw ill come through!!!! I will give my best because it was always my dream ever to become cc at Emirates and of course living in Dubai and getting to know about so many peple of different back grounds and cultures!! Now the day can come! I am ready for take off:-)
I am from germany and you?

P.S For those who want to talk with me via MSn in the case I am online:-)

[email protected]

Looking forward to hearing from some wannabe Emirates Cc:-)

OzyOS
24th Oct 2006, 18:27
Hey magicmorris, Im in the same boat as you! Was meant to fly out last Friday, then at very last minute was postponed, then expecting to fly out this Friday, but again it doesnt look like that will happen either since it is getting later on in the week and I have heard absoluelty nothing:ugh: So I am assuming that I will be there next Friday 3rd? Just waiting, waiting, waiting :bored:

Nemo24
24th Oct 2006, 23:58
Hi Nemo24. Regarding the medicals, unfortunately you do need to take a blood test (in your country of residence and Im pretty sure in Dubai when you arrive to test for drugs). The blood tests are to test the levels of Haemoglobin (red blood cells that carry Oxygen) in your blood and also check for HIV. You will also need to have a number of injections for immunisation. A Pap smear is required taken within the last 3yrs, hope this helps, Best of Luck :ok: Cheers:p

Thanks for the info OzyOs- greatly appreciated. Looks like there is no other way around it....:uhoh:

CAFLYER
25th Oct 2006, 01:37
Hello everyone! it has taken me a couple of hours reading thru all the threads, and I believe I got almost all the answers I needed to take the decision to go onto the interview process, I also believe that the "life style" they offer in Dubai, depends on where you're comming from, and how you are used to make a living. For most of us in lets say South America, living in Dubai could be a great experience. My suggestion is: Go there see it for your self, and as many other said enjoy it, try to make the best of it, at the end it is your own decision. Make it wisely. Good luck for all of us going to iterviews soon! And see you there!

FIEVAL
25th Oct 2006, 02:50
Hi there OZY OS- well I have sent through an email asking weather there have been any further developments re:medical approval! I hope to hear from them soon as you said the waiting is frustrating:ugh: I am quite surprised to hear that your departure date has been and gone and you still have not heard anything from them, I dont know what would be more frustrating, the waiting to be told "yep you have the job" or the waiting to actually fly over "and do the job".....mind you there are quite a few of us in the same boat hopefully we both hear something from them soon.....:ok:

FIEVAL
25th Oct 2006, 02:59
Hi there MOTHERHEN!

Gee its been awhile since we have heard from you! Wow your daughter has had her first flight already...that is awesome to hear. I am glad everything is going well for her, and yourself. I have sent an email to emirates asking weather there have been any further developments re:medical approval, fingers crossed I will hear something from them soon....well you take care and keep in touch, and I will be sure to let you know how I go:O

FIEVAL
25th Oct 2006, 03:13
Hi there CASABLANCA85

I think all of us can relate to what you are going through at the moment,:ugh: KATJUSCHA has given you some awesome advise re:interview process, like you I wanted to be prepared for anything they were going to throw my way, and prepration is definitely the key to suceeding on the day......when we had or open day here in NZ, one of the recruiters said something at the beginning of the day that stuck in my head for the entire interview process she said "you are not competing for the role of a flight attendant with anyone else in this room, you are not competing with the person sitting next to you, or the person infront of you, the only person you are competing with is YOURSELF!";)
Knowing this helped me, because I was able to concerntrate on my performance rather then everyone elses........but all that aside, like KATJUSCHA said.....SMILE...SMILE....SMILE!!!!!!!!:O :O :O :O
Good luck Im am positive you will do well, let us know how you go:ok:

FIEVAL
25th Oct 2006, 03:19
Hi there EMIRATES_GIRL

Awesome to hear you have made it this far, you have now joined the rest of us in the race to our dream jobs........:D
At this stage I am scheduled to fly November 24th, however I think I will have to fly closer to your departure date because I still have to hand in my notice to my current employer of 8 weeks if I receive confirmation from emirates that my medicals have been approved anytime soon, so I will keep in touch because I may be flying around the same time as you...good with your medicals and let us know how you go!:ok:

Bublets
25th Oct 2006, 04:00
Hello,

Im new here in this forum. I just want to ask. . . I got in last sunday Oct. 22 in EK open day here in Manila. Only 9 were choosen and i was included and then i had my Panel Interview today, so i just want to ask, what are my chances that they'll let me in EK?

OzyOS
25th Oct 2006, 09:14
Hey FIEVAL, good to hear that you emailed EK. From what i have noticed on this forum from others, these medicals definitely take their time...thats for sure! If you havent heard from EK in a day or two, I'd follow up with a phonecall, it cant hurt but can at least help ease the waiting period a bit for you! Goodluck and let us know how you go :ok:

OzyOS
25th Oct 2006, 09:17
Hi Bublets, Congratualtions on making it up to the panel interview stage, you have come a long way:D as for telling you your chances if in or not all I can say is that you have just as much chance as any other person who has made it as far as you have. No one can tell you 100% what they are looking for, as long as you did your best at the interviews that is all EK can really ask for...the rest is up to just having to wait and see. I wish you all the best! Goodluck:ok:

OzyOS
25th Oct 2006, 09:29
Hey Nemo24! Bless your heart, you will do great at the medicals! Although you may feel like a bit of a pin cushion during and afterwards! My trick is not to look at the injection they are giving me at all, rather think about something nicer.......like chocolate!!;)

Casablanca85
25th Oct 2006, 20:42
[quote=FIEVAL;2926988]Hi there CASABLANCA85

I think all of us can relate to what you are going through at the moment,:ugh: KATJUSCHA has given you some awesome advise re:interview process, like you I wanted to be prepared for anything they were going to throw my way, and prepration is definitely the key to suceeding on the day......when we had or open day here in NZ, one of the recruiters said something at the beginning of the day that stuck in my head for the entire interview process she said "you are not competing for the role of a flight attendant with anyone else in this room, you are not competing with the person sitting next to you, or the person infront of you, the only person you are competing with is YOURSELF!";)
Knowing this helped me, because I was able to concerntrate on my performance rather then everyone elses........but all that aside, like KATJUSCHA said.....SMILE...SMILE....SMILE!!!!!!!!:O :O :O :O
Good luck Im am positive you will do well, let us know how you go:ok:

Hi! Thank you for this advice!!1 I will do it! I think you have to be good in presenting yourself but not too extreme! You have to listen carefully, to smile and to show that this job is right that what you want to do! I love Emirates and I want to join them as well! My brother had a flight with Ek but as a passenger and he told me to write them an application because the service and the whole flight was so exellent and since that time I am in love with EK:-) Well i speak Arabic (mother tongue), French, German and English, and all these languages fluent in written and spoken! I`m a moroccan national living here in Germany and at present doing an apprenticeship as a qualified bank clerk which will be finished on Novemebr 21st with the writing exam which I am very forwarded to:-((( Well no comments:-)

bye and the best regards from germany

emirates_girl
26th Oct 2006, 00:45
Hey guys !

this site is great ! so many of my questiosn are answered. Just wondering, when I move there Dec 22...will I be staying in a hotel , apartment or training residence ? and I have a friend from Australia coming to visit me for a few days on her way to africa is she allowed to stay with me ?

also, what happens on new years there?

Cheers.

emirates_girl

FAinbaires
26th Oct 2006, 01:58
CAFLYER, hello!! where in South America R u???

Dana

Bublets
26th Oct 2006, 02:21
I was really worried because my answers in the final interview were not really sastisfying. I cant stop thinking about it. What will happen next after the final interview?

FIEVAL
26th Oct 2006, 08:22
Hi there BUBLETS

Awesome to hear that you have made it through your final interview! Now the waiting game will begin.......emirates will contact you via phone or email, to confirm weather you have been sucessful with your application (in my case I was contacted via phone) and if so you will progress to the next stage, which is to complete your medical checks,
(your medical checks will consist of full body medical examination, height, weight etc, HIV tests, various blood tests, chest x-rays, audiogram tests, pap smears (if you are a female) opthalmic checks, vaccinations, dental checks) they will send you a full outline of what they require!
They basically want to confirm that you have a good bill of health.
My medical checks took a little while and amounted to quite alot of $$$$$!
Once all your medicals have been submitted to emirates and approved it is then that confirmation of employment will be made.........a bit of a long process, but defintely worth it in the end!
I am currently awaiting approval of my medicals, hoping to hear something within the next couple of days...hope this answers your question, good luck:ok: and let us know how you go!:O

Nemo24
26th Oct 2006, 09:03
Hey Bublets,
Im in the same boat- just waiting to hear back from them and of course, whilst waiting, im replaying the interview in my mind. It's coming onto 3 weeks now and have all but convinced myself I did appallingly.
Try and keep positive- find a hobby to keep your mind off it. Im trying it! :)
And thanks for your kind words OzyOs! Im such a baby, i cried when a nurse (my sister!) took my blood pressure!!

Bublets
26th Oct 2006, 12:23
Thanks Guys...

Are they strict in medical assessment? Though im not really worried about it because i am a BSN graduate but are they strict about teeth and all?

OzyOS
26th Oct 2006, 13:02
Hey Bublets, as far as your teeth are concerned, at the time of the interviews the recruiters would have assessed them then and there in being aesthetically correct for the job, so dont worry about that aspect. As far as the stuff you cant see (fillings, root canals etc) as long as these have been completed and your dentist is able to sign off your dental report as acceptable to EK standards, then its smooth sailing:ok:

Bublets
26th Oct 2006, 14:31
Whew.. feeling better but not that great. Im pretty anxious about my answers in my final interview, damn.

My friend wants to apply for the job also but she's worried about her teeth, she wears fake teeth (jacket). Would that matter?

OzyOS
26th Oct 2006, 17:05
Alrighty then! Just had a look over the Dental requirments and it states "Dentures, if applicable, should be in good condition and fit properly" so the answer to your question Bublets in regards to your friends 'fake teeth' is they should be fine (assuming 'Jackets' included, providing there are no underlying/current dental infections etc) Dont worry about your answers in your final interview...you will only drive yourself mad :} rather focus on how well you have done to get as far as you have.....it really is a great feat! Try to keep busy and you will find out soon enough (I know, easier said than done :p)

Casablanca85
26th Oct 2006, 18:30
Hey!

Do you have to knwo many thins about Emirates if you would like to attend an open day?? Oh Oh in 2 days It will be my turn:-)

I have a medical question: What about eyesight for cabin crew at Emirates?? Are there any limitations for correction? The only thing I know is that only contact lenses are acceptable and I have some and I don`t have any problems with them:-) Thank you!

OzyOS
27th Oct 2006, 04:25
Hi there Casablanca85, Regarding your question about vision. The medical forms we get states: "If visual correction required, must be able to use contact lenses suitable for longterm wear in the dry aircraft environment. Soft lenses are perfered, hard lenses are not suitable. Unacceptable: Spectacles for visual correction, Visual field defects, Functionally monocular vision". There are few other points stated, but its all medical jargen which probably means nothing to you or I, only the opthamologist. Best of luck with your interview:ok:keep us updated, Im sure you'll be fine.

Bublets
27th Oct 2006, 05:16
Thanks OzyOS you've been a great help relieving my anxiety. ehehe by the way, would they inform you if you got in or simply they'll just not call or email you?

OzyOS
27th Oct 2006, 08:12
Hi Bublets :p
From what I have gathered, it seems the standard is that Emirates will call you if you have been successful with making it through the final interview (this is what they did with me as well) and then most of the correspondence is done through email. I heard back after 1 week from sitting my final interview, but I think this practice is unusually fast and the norm has been usually around 3-4weeks until you hear. But now for me, I am just sitting arond waiting for my newly revised start date, as it was originally the 20th :bored: ...Oh well, not much can be done except keeping busy to take my mind off it.....hope they havent forgotten about me! :eek: (lol)

Cheers :ok:

katjuscha
27th Oct 2006, 10:02
Hi Bublets :p
From what I have gathered, it seems the standard is that Emirates will call you if you have been successful with making it through the final interview (this is what they did with me as well) and then most of the correspondence is done through email. I heard back after 1 week from sitting my final interview, but I think this practice is unusually fast and the norm has been usually around 3-4weeks until you hear. But now for me, I am just sitting arond waiting for my newly revised start date, as it was originally the 20th :bored: ...Oh well, not much can be done except keeping busy to take my mind off it.....hope they havent forgotten about me! :eek: (lol)

Cheers :ok:

Hi OzyOs, I can´t believe how patient you are!! I would go crazy and you seem to be just cool and keep waiting, wow!!
Maybe you should write to them about your date of joining, that´s what I did and I´m still scheduled to leave at 3rd Nov. I hope to see you next week!! :ok:

CASABLANCA85, there´s not much you need to know about ek, check some destinations, that will be ok. Maybe they ask at the beginning, but it´s just to start the conversation and to make the people more relaxed. Forget about business-data or something like that, it´s not that kind of assessment-day!!

Good luck to you!!!

OzyOS
27th Oct 2006, 13:27
Hey Katjuscha! Thanks for your kind words (bless) I actually sent EK an email a number of days ago and never heard back from them, so I followed up with a phone call and all they could say is they there might be news by the end of the week. As much as i want to get over there and get into it, Im also happy right now enjoying the time with my hubby and cute pooch ;) .Would you believe, I have even applied for a few other jobs in the meantime (dont like leaving all my hopes in one basket). Guess until im there, it will feel real...until then..tick,tock,tick,tock!:p It would be fantastic if we were on the same course....fingers crossed:ok:

Casablanca85
27th Oct 2006, 15:10
hey Guys I wanted to thank you for all the help!!! It`s so kind! Well now I am in a very stressful situation! I am running to get some things because in just one hour I have to leave to catch my Air France flight from düsseldorf to Paris! And tomorrow the great Open Day! I am so exited but I won`t give 100% I will give 101%:-) I will tell you how it was as soon as I am at home! Until that time I wish you all the best and thank you again!

Best regards

Mohammed "Casablanca85"

cckat
28th Oct 2006, 03:22
I got an email from Emirates teling me about the open day here in Adelaide (same as an invite I guess!) so I'm more excited, but scared as well!
I didnt realise I'd miss flying when I stopped, and am now going crazy working in an office - so much so that I'm waitressing at nights and on weekends too, just to keep myself somewhat entertained!!!!!

From reading the thread I know they show the video at the open day, and that I should ask some questions about it,but I'm just worried I'll appear stupid - the video answers so many questions I WOULD have asked anyway!

Any ideas for things I can ask without appearing to be an idiot, or desperate for their attention?!

OzyOS
28th Oct 2006, 04:07
Hey cckat! I know exactly how you feel as I was in the same bingle myself! What I did was I pulled my previous cabin crew knowledge and came up with a question that was probably more internal then anyone who hasnt been a Flight Attendant would have thought of for e.g "Regarding your inflight training, are you paired with an actually inflight trainer, or is this a job that the SFS takes care of, and how long until you are checked to line" The video only really covers the surficial side of the job.Your lucky because you will be able to think about questions that are more internal, and you will probably come up with heaps....and it can also add a fresh approach then hearing the same stuff they probably hear over and over again :ok:Best of luck!!!

amowers
28th Oct 2006, 10:38
Hey Everyone!!!

Just wanted to give a quick update...I got here last night to Dubai around midnight and have been having a great time since. Everything went very smoothly in the airport and we met up with about 5 other recruits from all different places before being taken to our accommodation. Everything was really organized and planned and it was a really nice welcoming. We were taken by bus to our separate accommodations. Of the 7 of us, 2 got apartments and five of us are staying at the Royal Ascot Hotel, which is actually a really beautiful hotel. We got free breakfast, which is greeeeaaaat breakfast...but we have to pay for everything else. We have our induction day tomorrow starting at 7am, so its going to be a pretty busy day....and extremely busy week. Apparently the hard stuff doesnt start till next Sunday though, which at least gives us time to settle in a little bit before hitting the books. We have today off just to relax and get to know Dubai...and man, Dubai is a beautiful city. I am in love with it already!!!!

Good luck to all of you who are coming here soon. Cant wait to see you here!!! I probably wont haev much time to access the internet, but will try to give updates when I can.

amowers:ok:

cckat
28th Oct 2006, 23:32
Thanks Ozy - you're right, it's just hard to THINK at the moment!!
I've printed every bit of info I can find abotu the company, and Dubai to read through, so I think that will help too!
AUGH!

FAinbaires
29th Oct 2006, 02:39
Casablanca, how did ur open day go??? Best of luck!!

Amowers, u r already there!! Married and in Dubai! what a week!!! Have all the best while u r there!

Dee

libran
29th Oct 2006, 09:28
I attended the Open Day in Australia in September to register my resume but was not invited for the interview.:( There's another walk In interview on the 4th of Nov in Singapore this time. I hope that with that I don't have to wait 6 months to attend this second Open Day.:uhoh: Wish me heaps of luck.:) :ok: Anyone in this forum is attending the Open Day in Singapore?

Casablanca85
29th Oct 2006, 16:58
Casablanca, how did ur open day go??? Best of luck!!

Amowers, u r already there!! Married and in Dubai! what a week!!! Have all the best while u r there!

Dee

Hi There!!! Uffffff! It was a long and stressful time to attend the open day in Paris! ...I amde it through and had also the interview today in the same hotel!!! In my opinion it was ok but we will see what they will give me as an answer:-)

First of all: You don´t need to have an invitation like others say!!!!!!! Everybody can attend this day! Now I will tell you about the procedure:

I arrived at nearly 7 o`clock and the OD started at 09.00a.m! Well at first there were only a few canditates but when it was about to become 09.00 we were about nearly 150 people! Ok the day can begin! We had 2 female requirters of EK, but very nice! At first an introduction of themselves and then please hand off your CV and the Pics and we were given a number! After this round nearly 60 people could leave the room! In my opinion they do not really check you cv! they will talk with you during giving them your cv and pics and if they like you you are a step further! Well round two can begin! We had to touch a picture so that they could see if we were tall enough to reach any emergency staff in the planes of them! Than a division into 4 groups: Groupdiscussions! At first Group 1 and two and than 3 and 4! After this round again nearly 30-50 people could leave! Round 3: English test! Although there were so many peple with good English they could leave! I cannot imagine, well.....! Round 4 groupdiscussion: Solving a problem! and so on! At the end those of us who were succesful were invited to the interview the next day (today)! i think you can imagine yourself how an interview is: Why EK, Why You, tell us something about your personality.....and and and. And now I am tired and would like to sleep, bye bye:-)

FAinbaires
29th Oct 2006, 17:03
Casablanca, Im so excited for u!!!!!!!!!! U must be in limbo right now!!! I wish all but the best! I hope thye answer u soon!!

Dee

FAinbaires
29th Oct 2006, 17:10
Casablanca, I would like to know something. During the first group discussion, after you hand in your cv, would u say the people that made it to the next round were the "lider type" or the "quiet type"?

Dee

BurjAlArab
29th Oct 2006, 17:26
Hi all! I am new to this Forum and I was in the Open Day of EK in Tunis! Well I was unsuccesful and would like to attend another open day! Do you think that they noted those who failed because I would like to go to another open Day! Not in 6 months just the next which is in my region! What do you think?? Thanks

Casablanca85
29th Oct 2006, 17:29
Casablanca, I would like to know something. During the first group discussion, after you hand in your cv, would u say the people that made it to the next round were the "lider type" or the "quiet type"?

Dee

Hi! You mean the first discussion? Oh my God! I cannot imagine it but I didn`t say anything but I made it through! Ok I said one or two thins that´s all of it! I was so sure about that I should have failed but I passed:-)))))

Where did you attend your openday and how was it??

FAinbaires
29th Oct 2006, 18:03
Hey Casablanca!!

I attended an open day in buenos aires last february, i couldnt go to the others (june, august or september, dont remember) because of work, but im definitely going to the next one!
I was going to go to an open day in paraguay but i found out that Emirates is coming in february so i refrained from going a few days before the OD.

And that's what I had noticed, all the people that talked the most during my discussion group didnt make it to the next round! (including me :( ). Of course there must be some other reason but ill try to talk less nxt time!! And i wont give up!
Another mistake I had, the recruiters say u have to act like they arent there, dont even look at them, and I Did! :* ANyway I wih I knew what I did wrong so I can improve it!

By the way, do u remember the name of the recruiters?

Dee

I forgot to say: there were bout 250 people, and after handing in our cvs, there were about 45-50 left, we made it to the next day (a sunday) and we had the 1st discussion group and i didnt pass it! I dont know how the rest of the day went!

Casablanca85
29th Oct 2006, 18:20
Hey Casablanca!!

I attended an open day in buenos aires last february, i couldnt go to the others (june, august or september, dont remember) because of work, but im definitely going to the next one!
I was going to go to an open day in paraguay but i found out that Emirates is coming in february so i refrained from going a few days before the OD.

And that's what I had noticed, all the people that talked the most during my discussion group didnt make it to the next round! (including me :( ). Of course there must be some other reason but ill try to talk less nxt time!! And i wont give up!
Another mistake I had, the recruiters say u have to act like they arent there, dont even look at them, and I Did! :* ANyway I wih I knew what I did wrong so I can improve it!

By the way, do u remember the name of the recruiters?

Dee

I forgot to say: there were bout 250 people, and after handing in our cvs, there were about 45-50 left, we made it to the next day (a sunday) and we had the 1st discussion group and i didnt pass it! I dont know how the rest of the day went!

Hi just add me to your list if you use any messenger! my addy is [email protected]

FAinbaires
29th Oct 2006, 18:27
OK! thanks! I just did! C u soon!

Dee

FIEVAL
29th Oct 2006, 21:47
Hi there!

CASABLANCA85 - Hey buddy good to hear that you have made it his far, good luck with the final interview :D although I am sure you will be fine, awesome work getting this far anyway.

AMOWNERS - Hi, its good to see that a fellow prunner has finally got to the final destination:ok: , awesome to hear from you, as I am sure that we can all appreciate how hectic it must be there at the moment, finding time to give us a update is defintely an achievement in itself!
Well let us know how you go and good luck for training!

OZYOS - Hi there have you had a reply back from Emirates re:your departure date, the time is drawing near yet again, 3rd November is your departure date right? Hopefully you will be leaving this time, the uncertainty of it all it the worse part. I am still awaiting a reply re:final acceptance, the waiting is killing me:ugh: , I have sent an email up to them and all they can say is that "my medical reports are with the clinic and they are awaiting final approval" I hope to hear something from them this week! Fingers crossed huh! Let us know how you go with your departure date, surely they cant prolong the departure any further can they?:=
Let us know how you go:O
I guess I am growing a little anxious because it has been 27 days since I submitted my medicals and I am yet to hear from them! but as they say patience is a virtue!

Take care all!;)

cosmopolitian
30th Oct 2006, 06:31
hi dear all.
can anyone tell me when i was in singapore,and attended the open day there,but they just let female in,male just need to summit their resumes:eek: ?this has happened before?what's wrong?

Nemo24
30th Oct 2006, 07:12
Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's been 3 weeks since my final interview and no word from the recruitment team as yet.

I know its normally a 6 week process but the recruiters did say that they will get back to us in 3 weeks time. On the 18th they received my final docs & photos that were pending.

Should I email them tomorrow to enquire about my application? Or should i just be patient and at least give it until the end of this week/beginning of next week?

A single email wont hurt non? Or do they dislike being annoyed by these "how is my application going" queries?

Cheers!

katjuscha
30th Oct 2006, 08:11
Casablanca85, congrats to you!!
You can be very proud you´ve made it that far!!
Now it´s the waiting game...
Mine is almost finished, I received a phone call today, they will send my ticket via mail today or tomorrow... I hope today, I can´t believe it otherwise!!!
I received a mail from a friend already in dubai, she´s in her third week now and it must be very busy and stressful. Training from 7 am to 5.30 and no time to sleep or anything else but learning...

Good luck to everybody who is waiting!!

OzyOs, what about your date of joining?

magicmorris, have you got your ticket???

CU in DXB!!
Katharina

OzyOS
30th Oct 2006, 12:34
Hi Guys! Oki-doki, just got an email from EK (finally) and they are talking about putting me into the Dec 10th Ground School, so thankfully, i wasnt forgotten about :bored: lol!
Congratulations to everyone else on your success, casablanca85...nice work!! Also katjuscha thats wonderful news about your ticket...finally hey! :D Will keep you all posted as my little journey unfolds further :p

BurjAlArab
30th Oct 2006, 13:21
Hy Guys! Well as Casablanca85 I have also a question about the vision for CC at EK! Well I have a strong astigmatism and can only reach a good eyesight with hard lenses! I do not have any difficulties with them and I am also able to wear them for nearly the whole day and I got some which are very high gas permeable! Well what do you think about this? My right eye is about 120-130% without correction and I have to wear a lense only for the left eye!

Thanks for your help!!

katjuscha
30th Oct 2006, 14:23
I got my ticket!!!! Can´t believe it I made it! All that stress from the past few weeks is gone... uff...!!

Will start to pack the last things tomorrow, yeah!

Hope to see you all in Dubai soon!!!!!!!

OzyOz, I hope you´ll make it at December 10th!! See you in DXB!!

FIEVAL
31st Oct 2006, 07:18
Hi All,

KATJUSCHA - Awesome to hear that you finally received your ticket, yet another fellow prunner finally on their way to the place that we are all hoping to make it too......Be sure to keep in touch!:D

OZY OS - Oh my gosh you have been moved all the way to December the 10th.....wow even more of a wait:ugh: ...but as you mentioned at least you know and havent been forgotten!!!!!!!!:O

BURJALARAB - Hi there, like you I wear contact lenses, these are the acceptable requirements as per Emirates Ophthalmic Report -

ACCEPTABLE:8
Distant visual acuity with or without corrections is 6/9 or better in the better eye
Near Visual acuity with or without correction is at least N5 at 30-50cm and N14 at 100cm
UNACCEPTABLE:8
Spectables for visual correction
Visual field defects
Functionally monocular vision
(the above is taken off the medical requirements sheet that Emirates sends out for you to complete as part of your medicals)
Non of the above made any sense to me, but I took the form to my optmetrist and she explained everything to me.
Hopefully this helps!;)

NEMO24 - I would probably give them the required 6 weeks then try after that! I didnt contact them, but got a phone call 3 weeks after my final interview requesting I complete all medicals! So I am guessing they will probably be contacting you soon.....unfortunately you are now playing the game that many of us are now playing....the "waiting game":ugh: .....but I am positive you should hear from them soon!:ok:

OzyOS
31st Oct 2006, 11:06
Hi Fieval, Gosh Im a nut! I accidently typed in the wrong start date for me, I meant to say 10th of Nov...god knows why I said Dec...maybe it just feels like forever until I get there!! ;) BurjAlArab, your questions was very technical, my suggestion is to give Emirates a call, unless you are able to get the what you are looking from, from Fieval's information, goodluck:p

Casablanca85
31st Oct 2006, 13:25
Hi hi hi all of you! I am the happiest man in the world!!!!!!! Today It is my birthday and I had my final interview on Oktober 29th. During the interview they noticesd that I was born in Halloween and they made jokes, and today just before i wrote this message I got an answer that everythinmg was fine and that I am very shortlisted and I have only to wait for the medicals!!!!!! Oh my God I cannot believe it! But they strongly advised me not to tell anything to my current employer until the medicals are not approved!!!!! I thank God for everything and I thank all of you who have been so helpful and so nice to me!!!!! I hope to see ya soon in DXB as well:-))) Bye bye and the great HalloweenParty can be now be celebrated without restrictions:-)))):O:O:O:)

The very best regards from germany

katjuscha
31st Oct 2006, 13:44
Pointless quote of previous post - see forum post from mods

Atina
31st Oct 2006, 18:58
Hi to all!

I`m intrested if anybody knows what`s the policy of EK wether they inform about the final interview results or not.
I had my final interview 2 months ago and haven`t heard from them yet!:confused:
I would like to know do they inform only if you have been succesfull or in both cases?
thanks in advance

FIEVAL
1st Nov 2006, 03:53
Hi there!

CASABLANCA85 - Awesome news! I know the feeling you get when you hear from Emirates advising that you have progressed to the next stage, it is so exciting! Goon on you I knew you would have no problems......:D

OZY OS - Awesome news for you as well, next week huh you will be over there! You must be so exicited!

As for myself I have also received news from emirates, I have passed my medicals...yippppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! So I am not too sure what happens now, Ozy Os, do they send through a confirmation email confirming employment with them?

I am so happy!:O

Nemo24
1st Nov 2006, 04:51
FIEVAL- Thank you so much for your words. You surely are the voice of wisdom- i got a call today and im starting 15 December! (subject to medical approval of course)
Congratulations on having passed your medicals- that is awesome! What is your starting date?

OzyOs- Im really pleased you got your date all sorted- so next week you will be over there- that is amazing! I hope you try to keep in touch with all of us once over there....

cckat
1st Nov 2006, 05:25
May I ask what they're checking for in the medicals?
Sight, obviously, hearing.
Height/weight? what are the requirements (are all countries height/weight requirements the same? ie bmi based?!!??!?!?!).
What else? just so I can be prepared if I get that far!!!!
I just had some pictures taken by a friend for the open day with my cv, I still havent decided which ones to give them yet, we'll see.

esebonita
1st Nov 2006, 08:21
Hi im rather new here but im departuring on the 24th November. Im all excited, nervous and tense im really clueless of what to bring with me to dubai..U have any advise ?
Hello everyone,

Good to see the emirates forum is back in full swing and good to see familiar names again.

Motherhen - Thanks for all the updates on your daughters progress during her training in Dubai, it is awesome to gain insight on what happens over there once you arrive. It is a mission within itself getting to Dubai for training, but by the sounds of things it is all worth it and thats very comforting to know. So keep the daily updates coming because I am sure that we all anticpate you news.

I am currently going through all my medicals at the moment, gee talk about a mission and a half, just got minor work to do on my teeth which will be done next week and once that is done I will send everything through to Emirates and play the waiting game yet again......is there anyone here flying to Dubai in November or December?

emirates_girl
1st Nov 2006, 10:56
Hey !

Congratulations ! you finally heard from them ! I fly out December 22..my ground school starts december 24 (XMAS EVE ! LOL) oh well.... so you will be the week before me..how exciting ! I am faxing through my medicals tomorrow...and they are all fine so I am very excited ! Yet I am really nervous, I only just turned 21 and have never lived out of home and know I will get a little home sick :( but hopefully i will be ok !

is anyone else flying out dec. 22 ?

emirates_girl

FIEVAL
1st Nov 2006, 12:05
Hi there

NEMO24 - Awesome news! My departure date is set for 24th November!:O

CCKAT - All requirements are the same in every country. Look back through thread re:what medicals consist of, there is some good information, in previous posts;)

As for me - I just got my email confirming that my application was successful! Yay!!!!!!! - mind you it wont be real until I am no that plane, heading for Dubai....but other then that the waiting is over YIPEEEEEEEE!:O :D :O :D :O :D :O :D :O :D :O

Newnz
1st Nov 2006, 12:40
Gosh, I haven't been on here for ages! Tomorrow I finally graduate from the Emirates Training School! And what a busy, busy 6 weeks it has been! It's been fun getting to know so many awesome people, but on the other hand it has been A LOT of really hard work. The content itself is not difficult, however there's a huge amount of material to learn and retain. The two weeks of service training are fun, and you actually fully deliver 2 hot meal services to colleagues during these week - so you are relatively well prepared for going out on the line. You will find you have exams or practical assessments on around 75% of the days you're in training, with an 80% pass mark minimum requirement. (i.e. don't get too caught up in the party scene initially as you need your head screwed on - if you know what I mean!). Most people make it through however with the odd exception, but your are allowed to be put back to repeat a week with a new class if the trainers think that is best for you. When you come over you'll be in an intake of between 60-70 people, with this broken down into 4 smaller classes. It's crazy how many people are at the college right now. I received my roster yesterday and only have 2 flights for the month of November and neither of them are layovers! Am basically on standby the rest of the time. Rather disappointing but I think this could be partly to do with having soooooo many crew and no A380's now until 2008 (when they should have arrived this month). Not to worry - I'm hopeful that next month will be a little more interesting! Good luck to you all and hopefully we will meet out on line sometime soon :);)

esebonita
2nd Nov 2006, 08:47

FIEVAL
2nd Nov 2006, 10:39
Hi there

ESEBONITA - Hi there fellow traveller, I havent packed anything yet, I am currently going through the process of confirming weather I can fly to Dubai at a latter date as I have to give notice to my current employer, I havent had a response back yet from emirates as to weather this can be done or not, if not I will be running around like a mad women trying to sort myself out! I am not going to pack to much as I am sure I will be able to get what I need over there. However I want to take over a few comforts from home so that I dont get too homesick:{ while I am over there! So much to do so little time!

NEWNZ - Hi there stranger good to hear from you again! Wow time has passed really quick you are already graduating :D that is awesome! Let us know how you go with your first couple of flights, its always good to hear what we are going to go through when we get there! Take care and keep in touch:O

ATINA - Hi there, im a sorry to hear that you havent had a response back from Emirates regarding the result of your final interview! :(
They usually contact via telephone or via email to let you know weather you have been accepted or not! Have you tried contacting them, to get an update on your application? Your application may have been misplaced with the amount of applications they have to work through from all over the world. I would defintely give them a call or send them an email just to see what is happening, they maybe able to shed some light on you application to give you piece of mind! Stay positive:ok:

OzyOS
2nd Nov 2006, 11:15
Hi Guys, sorry for not posting much lately, have had family visiting (as you can imagine how busy it can get!) At the moment, my confirmed start date is the 10th, but I have actually asked if they could bump me to the 17th. Im yet to hear back from my request, so at this stage it is definately the 10th:p . Cant wait to get in to it all!!! :ok:

OzyOS
2nd Nov 2006, 11:19
Also a huge congratulations to FIEVAL :D, and how nice does it feel to know that your health is good condition:ok:. Will have to catch up with each other when you arrive!! Great idea to take some comforts from home also, as it will take a while to establish where you can buy certain products etc that you like using normally from day to day....exciting hey!

minerva23
3rd Nov 2006, 06:55
hi all!

I'm new to this forum and so far this site has been very insightful =)

I registered with Emirates online last month and received an invitation via Email for the Open Day in Singapore on the 4th of Nov. I'm excited and the thing is, in the email it states that we have to be in smart & casual wear.

So in your opinion do you think i should play it safe and wear my business attire or do you have any other suggestions?

Any one of you guys going to the Open Day in Singapore on that day too?

FIEVAL
3rd Nov 2006, 07:38
Hi there OZY OS,

Thanks mate, your right its good to know your in good health!:) We must definitely meet up in person when we get there!:ok: Its quite funny there will be a whole lot of us from this forum that will be able to meet face to face!
Like you I have requested that they bump my starting date back, as I have to allow for my notice period at my current employer! I am still to hear back from them! Hopefully I will receive something from them soon!!!!! As for your visiting your family, gees I am going to have to do that too, thank goodness we have a family wedding scheduled in a weeks time I will be able to catchup with all my family on the one day...how convienent!!!!LOL...anyhoo take care and keep in touch:O

FAinbaires
3rd Nov 2006, 17:26

cckat
4th Nov 2006, 02:40
ADL open day for EK is in a week, and I've spent hours researching this thread, and everything I can find. I'm trying to be asprepared as possible. I must have watched the youtube videos 15 million times. I've just redyed my hair back to its natural colour (something tells me extreme brown streaks in blonde hair isnt the most preferred look (it wasnt my fault, dodgy hairdresser!!!). I've bought a new suit.
I couldnt be more prepared.
And I couldnt be more sure I'm not going to get past the first stage!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind, at least I'll have a new suit!

Casablanca85
4th Nov 2006, 15:11

Phaedra
5th Nov 2006, 03:21
Hey everyone. First post. I've read every page I could find on Emirates so thanks to everyone for all the info. I am currently waiting for a reply from the Emirates as I just had my final interview a little more than a week ago in Vancouver. Now I am sitting on pins and needles just waiting. Is there anyone else who is from Canada hoping to work for Emirates or is working for Emirates? :O

SkySista
5th Nov 2006, 04:32
cckat, don't take this the wrong way, but...

WIth the attitude of
I couldnt be more sure I'm not going to get past the first stage!!!!!!!!!!

you're practically guaranteeing that you won't. Try a little confidence and 'can-do' attitude (even if you have to fake it! :E) it, really does go a long way to making a good impression!

Believe in yourself, be prepared, be yourself, and SMILE!! and you'll have given yourself the best chance to progress through ANY airline interview!!

Good luck!!

Sky

esebonita
5th Nov 2006, 07:48
Heya FIEVAL,
thanks 4 the respond, by the way dont worry im sure they will get back to you in a few days time or probably today! I was supposedly 2 be departuring on the 3rd November actually so i emailed them and they got back to me like a week later. Its funny but im actually more glued to check my emails ever than before eventhough i know they wont email the e ticket and the contract so soon..but im really hoping they do *crossfingers* ..Thanks 4 the advice though il just start packing next week i guess il do the same and not pack so much..Anyway i wish all of you the best and i hope to meet you guys there yeah! Cheers & have a great week!:)
Hi there

ESEBONITA - Hi there fellow traveller, I havent packed anything yet, I am currently going through the process of confirming weather I can fly to Dubai at a latter date as I have to give notice to my current employer, I havent had a response back yet from emirates as to weather this can be done or not, if not I will be running around like a mad women trying to sort myself out! I am not going to pack to much as I am sure I will be able to get what I need over there. However I want to take over a few comforts from home so that I dont get too homesick:{ while I am over there! So much to do so little time!

NEWNZ - Hi there stranger good to hear from you again! Wow time has passed really quick you are already graduating :D that is awesome! Let us know how you go with your first couple of flights, its always good to hear what we are going to go through when we get there! Take care and keep in touch:O

ATINA - Hi there, im a sorry to hear that you havent had a response back from Emirates regarding the result of your final interview! :(
They usually contact via telephone or via email to let you know weather you have been accepted or not! Have you tried contacting them, to get an update on your application? Your application may have been misplaced with the amount of applications they have to work through from all over the world. I would defintely give them a call or send them an email just to see what is happening, they maybe able to shed some light on you application to give you piece of mind! Stay positive:ok:

ek_ey_qr_dreamer
5th Nov 2006, 07:56
can someone please tell me what exactly does the medical consist of? and when they ask for a dental x-ray (so i have heard!) do your teeth need to be very straight? last but not least, im sure they do a security check, what kind is this check? and do u have to carry it out yourself for them?

goyangee
5th Nov 2006, 13:12
Hey everyone. First post. I've read every page I could find on Emirates so thanks to everyone for all the info. I am currently waiting for a reply from the Emirates as I just had my final interview a little more than a week ago in Vancouver. Now I am sitting on pins and needles just waiting. Is there anyone else who is from Canada hoping to work for Emirates or is working for Emirates? :O

hi~ there it's good to hear another canadian coming to emirates..^^

well i been here in dubai about 6months.. i am enjoy a lot a lot ^^

hope u have good answer from the emirates

just info there are quite few of canadian cabin crew about 20 - 30

as i know

u will meet them when time comes~

good luck~~~

li777
6th Nov 2006, 02:25
hi everybody:)
anybody attending the global assessment day on NOV 15,16 in Brazil:)????

ClaireChen
6th Nov 2006, 12:15
I am a girl who lives in Taiwan. Today, I just got a shocking news. It is said that Emirates will not accept my nationality. One of my blog friend went to the global assessment day and local appointed agent tod her this news. The reason is including that they don't have flights to Taiwan(but i doubt this one) and another one is because of politic issue between China and Taiwan.China is a potential future market for Emirates. Actually, I know Taiwanese cabin crew can't fly out to China. I feel so sad after hearing this news. I am a totally EK fan,longing to join EK one day. Could somebody working in EK help me to ask whether the news is true or not? I will appreciate a lot for your kindness and help. Thanks a lot.

flyoneday
6th Nov 2006, 13:33
claire
Pliz do not be put off until you get the news from an EK recruiter yourself.
I never thought EK dicriminates nationalities.
Dont you think that if this were true they would probably highlight it on their website?
I wish you well in your research.
Am an EK wonnabe too n gal,we will get there!!!:)

~

ChocolatBabe
6th Nov 2006, 13:51
Im not sure if its about discrimination on EKs part. :confused: When political issues are involved, limitations (like not being able to travel into the country) are placed to ensure that no discontentment will arise from either countrymen when being in one's territory. This happens all the time in history. :ugh: Perhaps its for one's safety too? But you yourself said this:

"Actually, I know Taiwanese cabin crew can't fly out to China. "

So assuming you are right, then there's no question about it. But you know what Claire? Like what flyoneday says, go and get it from the horse's mouth. It's not fair that you are denied the opprtunity because of nationality. Don't give up ok? :) Hopefully someone will come up with good news for you soon. Good luck dear. :ok: Who knows, we will all meet one day in Dubai. :}

t.na
7th Nov 2006, 02:39
I am a girl who lives in Taiwan. Today, I just got a shocking news. It is said that Emirates will not accept my nationality. One of my blog friend went to the global assessment day and local appointed agent tod her this news. The reason is including that they don't have flights to Taiwan(but i doubt this one) and another one is because of politic issue between China and Taiwan.China is a potential future market for Emirates. Actually, I know Taiwanese cabin crew can't fly out to China. I feel so sad after hearing this news. I am a totally EK fan,longing to join EK one day. Could somebody working in EK help me to ask whether the news is true or not? I will appreciate a lot for your kindness and help. Thanks a lot.

I think your friend should report this to EK directly.
It could be the agents stated this on behalf of themselves not EK.
If the statement were true, how come there are a few Taiwanese crew working at Emirates??

To me, it didn’t sound right at all. :=

ClaireChen
7th Nov 2006, 07:57
I want to say thanks a lot to you guys for giving me so many suggestions and encouragement. I feel warm and touched. I will still give a go and hope see you guys in Dubai. t.na are you Taiwanese too? I saw your message in Taiwanese cabin crew discussion borard.

flyoneday
7th Nov 2006, 10:40
:ok::ok::ok:
HEY PPRUNNERS!!!!
WHETHER ASIAN,AFRICAN,AMERICAN,EUROPEAN,AUSTRALIAN

Lets all go get EK!
Good on you Claire,we gat to work hard and pray that we all meet in Dubai one day.
God Bless You all.

~

wanna_fly
7th Nov 2006, 13:45
hi fellow ppruners.

recently i attended an assesmnet day wit EK. but cud not go past the group discussion round!:{ :{ :{ :{

I was totally speachless by the end of my GD round! From the begining everything went wrong! Some probs i faced were:

1.everyone starts talking at the same time... and thereby difficult to hear or talk properly.
2. lots of interuptions from others when someone speaks.
3. few people were saying things not related to the topic given and hence very confusing!!!
4. there were two or three people who would continously keep talking and dont allow others to express themselves ( well, its a diff thing that these people didn't get selected!!!)

but, on the whole i found it very difficult to express myself properly. does this happen often or is it that i was very unlucky?

could someone please help me ... how do i deal with such situations?

Phaedra
8th Nov 2006, 04:00
Hello to everyone. I just talked to Emirates and my joining date is on the 24th of November. So I have lots to do before the flight. I am super excited!! Is anyone else leaving on the 24th of November? What are people packing? Any suggestions?:eek:

FIEVAL
8th Nov 2006, 06:55
Hi there WANNAFLY!

What you have explained is exactly what happened to me....I think it is quite normal hence it being called a "group discussion"!:confused:
I am sorry to hear that you didnt get past that stage, but what you can take away from your experience, is what to expect for next time!:O
I guess thats just the way group discussions work! Its all part of them being able to observe how interact with everyone else! I wouldnt worry cut you losses and prepare for the next time! I am sure you will do better next time, stay positive!;)

Sta_Power
8th Nov 2006, 08:13
Hello all you lovely people,

I've just joined this site & i love it already! i have spent 2 days reading up on all the posts here!

Let me say a big 'THANK-YOU' to all of you for your valuable contribution. You are helping so many people move one step closer to their dreams...

Mine is a depressing story but, in short, here it is:

I've always applied for CC online but it never came through. Finally, I went into Ek to drop off my CV in Sept 06. They promised to call but didn't....(DUH!)! So i called up the head office (HR Dept) and asked if i was selected. (I couldnt take the waititng)The guy on the phone said that I wasnt selected however he did advice me to change my photographs and call him back for him to resubmit it. I tried to check if there was anything in particular that i had to change but he was a bit hesitant to disclose that hence..............Can anyone tell me what is the best attire to click a picture in?

I know its supposed to be business-like & neat. But would they prefer the picture in a black suit or a brown suit? any ideas would be appreciated.

I need to submit this by the 25th of November...

thanks guys! :)

OzyOS
8th Nov 2006, 13:55
Hey Sta power. My suggestion for your pictures is "keep it simple".You can never go wrong with a black suit (as this is the most flattering) on a light background and white business shirt, the key is professionalism. Hair completely off the face and keep the make-up light and fresh (red or brown lipstick a must!). Only have earings on in the picture that are stud-like (not dangle) and dont forget to smile, to show how warm and friendly you are. Best of luck :ok:

iuli21
8th Nov 2006, 17:10
hi !
i gues that everybody observed that there are no open days posted for december. usualy they post open days dates for 2 months in advance, but until now there are no posts for december...:-(

Nemo24
9th Nov 2006, 00:11
Howdy OzyOs,
Just wanting to wish you the best of luck as you prepare to head to Dubai. It must be so exciting! Hope you keep us all updated when you get some free-time, it will be so interesting to hear what life over there will be like. I know you will succeed.
Also wanted to let you know I had my blood test- and yep, wasnt too bad! :) Had my mum with me though so doing it all over again in Dubai will be interesting :)

Re: photos,
totally agree- keep them simple. i would also recommend paying the money and getting them done professionally- they can fiddle around with lighting, posing, etc. photos are the only thing they see of you to base their decision so i think they're a good investment.

Nemo24
9th Nov 2006, 00:20
Wannafly-
Yes, the same thing happened to me on my group discussions. It was so hard to get a word in without being rude and interrupting others. I was so sure I wouldnt make it through because I felt I didnt "contribute much" But they dont always pick the motor mouths, so there is hope!

There are some ways to try and cope with it. Perhaps you notice another person in the same boat as you, trying to get a word in? Cast her a sympathetic smile and maybe say something like "sorry julie, I didnt quite hear what you were saying"? Shows that you are listening and trying to get everybody involved in the process. A kind way also of drawing everybody's attention to the fact that its a group discussion. And thats important because with Emirates you'll be a member of a team.

If that doesnt seem to work and you still cant get a word in then I be quite vocal in agreeing with others- "i agree" "definitely" "absolutely" etc. If you cant beat 'em- join 'em.

But for sure- you will know what to expect the next time!

libran
9th Nov 2006, 02:45
Hello all you lovely people,

I've just joined this site & i love it already! i have spent 2 days reading up on all the posts here!

Let me say a big 'THANK-YOU' to all of you for your valuable contribution. You are helping so many people move one step closer to their dreams...

Mine is a depressing story but, in short, here it is:

I've always applied for CC online but it never came through. Finally, I went into Ek to drop off my CV in Sept 06. They promised to call but didn't....(DUH!)! So i called up the head office (HR Dept) and asked if i was selected. (I couldnt take the waititng)The guy on the phone said that I wasnt selected however he did advice me to change my photographs and call him back for him to resubmit it. I tried to check if there was anything in particular that i had to change but he was a bit hesitant to disclose that hence..............Can anyone tell me what is the best attire to click a picture in?

I know its supposed to be business-like & neat. But would they prefer the picture in a black suit or a brown suit? any ideas would be appreciated.

I need to submit this by the 25th of November...

thanks guys! :)

It is best to take a professional photo of yourself in in suit and skirt(knee length) on a plain white background. Ensure that you have full make up, hands by your sides, and a nice smile with teeth flashing.I reckon that it doesn't matter whether you are dressed in black or brown suit as long as you are dressed in business attire.

All the best. Hopefully, you will be selected for the next round of interview.

libran
9th Nov 2006, 03:01
Hi there:) ,

I made it through the pre-screening interview on the 4th of November in Spore. I'm just wondering whether there is anyone here on this forum that will be attending the group discussion on the 17th of Nov.

Tips from anyone here on the forum will be most welcomed in regards on doing well for the group discussion. I have have arough idea of what they are after after reading all the posts on this forum dated way back to 2003. I must say that it has helped heaps. However I must say that sometimes it is hard to get a balance as to not contributing too much to the extend that other group members may not get a chance to share their ideas. Yet again, if one comes across a member who talks over everyone it may be hard to interrupt(without sounding rude) to share a piece our opinions. Any tips on cutting in smoothly to contribute yet still give others a chance to have a say?:hmm:

On top of that, what are the possible choice of topics that we would have to write about if we make it through to the next round for the english test?

Anyhow, wish anyone else who is going a swell best of luck!!:p :ok:

wanna_fly
9th Nov 2006, 05:12
Nemo24 & FIEVAL: thanks for ur replies and encouragement. I really hope to make it thru the next time.:ok:

Medicals:

Has it ever happened that someone would get rejected after their medicals? if yes , on what grounds?

OzyOS
9th Nov 2006, 07:20
Hey Nemo24, thanks a bunch for your warm wishes :p Glad to hear that you made it through your blood tests! I have been confirmed for a start date of the 17th. I desperately needed an additional week to finalise everything as they were previously asking me to be there on the 10th. Will defininately do my best to keep you all updated ;) and let us know when you have your start date confirmed as well.....then the real fun begins! lol!!! :ok:

AnA_stw_SER
9th Nov 2006, 14:43
Hi guys,
I would like to tell you my story about going to Dubai and reasons for coming back.I went to DXB on 13th Oct.First thing I thought when I arrived is that I will come back home very soon.I found Dubai too hot,too different of what I expected.You can hardly breath and it was only 40 C I can just imagine how it is like in the summer on 52C.Even the air has some strange smell!I guess I expected it to be more liberal,because If you want to make big tourist attraction of your town and if you build a lot of 5 star hotels,malls, you can't expect from people coming all around the world to respect your religion and not to drink water on 42 C while ramadan,and you can not expect women not to wear bikini on the beach or mini skirts and mini shirts which they usually wear in the summer!Local people are very strange,not very pleasant,they usually look at you with some unger or hate in their eyes.They act like you should be greatful because they let you breathe their air!I actually realised that I am to european type!I travel a lot not just on holidays,I also work as a CC and I have seen all European countries and I can tell you that UAE is something too different from Europe!Dubai is just a piece stollen from desert with high buildings!Do you know what is Greece for Dubai!Haven!In Greece you have history,beaches open for all the people of this world,bars,restaurants,beach parties,bikinies,alcohol,music,nature,trees,grass,mountains, nice people!You can take a walk on the streets and people will not look at you as an elien!In Dubai you can't walk through street because there is nothing on the streets,no shops no trees,no grass,flowers..just sand,heat and high buildings.If you wish to see trees you must take a taxi and pay for entrance in some park.I really respect all religions different then mine,but I am really against of practising any religion in public!Why do they have to play prayers five times per day even in a luxurious shoping malls and then they all seat on their knees and pray.Please don't get me wrong,I realise that all nations and religions are different but we have to be tolerant if we live together.I respect that muslims are fasting on ramadan,their holy month but why can't I eat and drink water in public as a non muslim?Some people were arrested because of not respecting Ramadan!some of them were in jail for 6 months and some of them were deported to their home countries!It is not strange that middle east is called third world!As a european in Dubai I was feeling very bad and on my way back to home,when my plane landed in FRankfurt I kissed the ground and sad EUROPE I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU AGAIN!And that is what I really mean.I work as CC,have same salary as they in EK have,in winter I go in Switzerland for skiing and in summer I visit beaches of Greece,Spain...All in one and only Europe!If you plan to live in Dubai be sure that you read everything about that country,their religion,their history,food,infrastructure and if you think that is good for you and you can live in those conditions then I wish you all the best and hope you will find what you expect!But if you have everything in your home don't try to get more in Dubai,because no metter how much you earn you will always be second class citizen for Araps.Emirates are no better then BA,Lufthasa!:= I hope you will not get me wrong,just think a little bit about my words before you leave.

All the best,
AnA

mother hen
9th Nov 2006, 15:24
Hi AnA, I'm so sorry things didn't work out for you at EK. My daughter as been there since Sep 8th, and although it hasn't always been wonderful, she is settling in now, and starting to enjoy herself. She would probably agree with some of the things you say, especially about some of the men! But, as she says, it isn't for everyone, and she thinks one of the girls from her training group will leave soon.

Anyway, I wish you all the very best in whatever you choose to do, and hope you feel better now you're back home.
Love, mother hen.

multitasking
9th Nov 2006, 15:49
thats a little discouraging on my part, i am scheduled to attend the assessment on december and im pretty nervous about it.

i guess for us, filipinos, its going to be easy to adjust with dubai's weather since we also experience the same every summer time here. We do have muslim communities here and im pretty much familiar with their culture and behaviour as well. but of course, im still scared of the thought that ill have to endure being looked down by the arabs in any case because they do treat foreigners a second class citizen? how worse will it be if we are from the third world country(philippines), knowing ANA is from europe, and europe is a succesful country, isnt it?

I recently met a friend who happens to work for emirates, she's also a filipina but she applied in dubai, she's based in dubai because part of her family stays there. She was lucky to get in and really happy to be swinging around different countries around the world! She told me, it was easy for her to get the job because she has the recommendation letter from some big boss in the emirates. Lucky her!

What makes me nervous too is that the assessment day is drawing near. Im not much of a talker and im scared to join the group discussion. What if i just get speechless and mentally blocked? Oh, the thought of it really starts to melt me now. Its goin to be a month of agony!! Waa.

Im planning to take up some speech power program, it might help me on the assessment day or even probably in the long run :) because im also considering on applying in other airlines. Probably Philippine airlines. Dont really care if the wage is tragic low, it's going to be a really good experience for a young girl like me. And gettin in any airlines will be a great prestige, as it takes up a lot of vast effort and perseverance to get in there! Not to mention that you really have to have something under that hair, inside your head, your brain :)

Oh well, hope everything goes well on my assessment day. Hope I could get lots of support here.

Thanks fellow ppruners :)

t.na
9th Nov 2006, 16:18
AnA:
Yeah, someone said to me, it's a place that either you'll love it or hate it. There are a lot of things that will come to you as a culture shock. I agreed that it isn't for everyone.

Claire:
yeah, that was me ;)

iuli21
9th Nov 2006, 17:03
hi ANA,
i'm very sorry to hear that you leaved dubai and that you find uae and local people, customs so different and unpleasant. it is true that nowhere is like home, i'm not sure that i can resist without mountains, snow, pine woods, people and all those beautifuls things from europe. but i also think that midle east has his charm, the bazars, the food, the desert.

iuli21
9th Nov 2006, 17:26
... places and people are so different and that's why the world is so beautiful. we have to be ready to make some compromises and to be tolerants one with others
and everything should be ok. the cabin crew job gives you the chance to see the world u dont have to stay in dubai 24/7

Casablanca85
9th Nov 2006, 19:32
Hi everybody! It`s me again and I am still waiting fo my medicals:-) Anna you are also from Germany, me too! But I will answer some questions in English so that everybody can undesrtand! Well first of all, even before you leave for Dubai you have to know the Islamic way of life and that it is of course the main religion in Dubai. After that you can make decisions...You can drink water as a non muslim in ramadan but not just next to others, may be muslim people, who are fasting you know. And of course it is not so suitable to wear bikinis when going to the beach (this is also advised, when you also book a flight for Dubai or UAE) You have to see the things from another point of view and only if you say that you also can handle these things than you may feel better to stay in Dubai but if you are the "European Guy" as you said and you like parties, alcohol, etc. than it was the right decision to go back to Germany, es lebe Deutscgland:-) Na ja egal trotzdem dir alles gute und wem es gefällt dem gefällt es, wem nicht, eben nicht, oder??? Dir alles Gute!

Kind regards from germany to all ppruners:-)

cckat
10th Nov 2006, 03:11
I'm REALLY jumping ahead of myself here, as I've not even been to the open day yet, but reading here, and other forums, a lot of people have had to supply written references.
All of my references are fine with verbal ones - I havent asked any to give me written ones - should I organise this, just in case - it could take a few of my references a while to prepare them, due to current locations, professions etc???

OzyOS
10th Nov 2006, 03:56
Hey ccat! Definitely have atleast 2 written references ready, this is an absolute requirement. I previously posted on this thread (around 3wks ago) the exact requirments of the written reference, you will find all you need to know there. :ok:

Also AnA, I thank you for taking the time to post what your view of the UAE is like. Whenever living in any other country other than your own there are always so many different challenges, and I agree people MUST be aware of these challenges before they make such a huge decision as to moving country.

Once the 'Honeymoon period' wares off, its then that you have a true indication if you have made the right decision or not.....but it does take time and you really have to give the opportunity you have taken a fair chance.

I myself am Australian and moved to an Asian country (have been here now for nearly 3 years) and I can tell you there were (still are) many things that I dont agree with in terms of their beliefs and lifestyles, but ironically its the differences that I actually found appealing to living in another country in the first place! I have eventually found and learnt that with each negative, there is always a positive fast to follow.

I would always recomend to anyone to at least give it a shot to live in another country whist you still have the chance and the blessings to do such (as these opportunities aren't available to everyone) but on the other hand I realise that living abroad isn't for everyone, and thats ok too, I wish you best of luck AnA in your flying career ;)

AnA_stw_SER
10th Nov 2006, 22:35
Thank you all for not getting me wrong..
I wish you all the best in your careers and let all your dreams come true!
OzyOS,one more thing..there is a big difference between 'just' leaving abroad and 'leaving abroad' in Dubai!
However,I hope your dreams will come true and you will have chance to feel Dubai,and when you do that,write us your immpresions about UAE on this forum.

All the best,
Ana:ok:

OzyOS
11th Nov 2006, 07:59
Hey AnA, what i was trying to say in my previous post was that all countries and nationalities have their positives and negatives that we experience, this includes Dubai as well. Gosh if I was to list all the things that I didnt agree with here in Asia, I think a lot of people would be quite shocked!
There is always a massive adjustment process that you go through when moving to any country. I definitely discovered this when I moved to Asia, I felt like i was on a huge rollercoaster! It took me over 1 year to feel comfortable here...it really does take a lot of patience and tollerance.
I completely understand and respect your decision to return home. You looked after youself and knew Dubai and Emirates weren't for you. Your decision was far healthier than 'sticking it out' if you truely knew in your heart that it wasnt going to work. If anything, its really nice when you have a new found appreciation for your own country and its unique beauty!
All the best with your future endeavours :ok:

Letsfly
11th Nov 2006, 09:37
Hi,

I have been in Dubai for 6 months now and I would like to give you my view of Dubai!

I am from Australia. In Aus I worked for a Qantas as a MAM casual. This was a really great job but for me after two years I was bored with domestic flying I wanted more international flights. I had done some international flying with Qantas to Hong Kong, Manila and Singapore, Japan, NZ and I loved it! When I heard from a friend that Emirates was recruiting I signed up. It felt like at the time it was the perfect thing to do.

One month later I was in Dubai. On landing I was thinking what have I done. From near the airport all I could see were these tiny white houses with sand everywhere. When I got to my accom I found out that a girl from melbourne was moving into a 3 bedroom apartment with me. In the afternoon we took a taxi to Mall of Emirates and that was great. Once there I was so excited. The next day was training. Having gone through training with another airline before I was not as stressed as others so I found the training fun!

I have been here for 6 months now and when I go on a layover and I am landing back into Dubai it feels like I am coming back home.

I came over here at the end of June and it was about 40'c plus everyday. This for me hasn't really been a problem. Everything is airconditioned so you wil only have to walk outside for a bit to find a taxi. On the beach you can wear your bikini, no problem. Some of the local guys look at you but if you can ignore it and not let it get to you you won't have a problem.

I think that dubai is a beautiful place. When I look out my window I can see palm trees a mosque and Sheike Zayed Rd in the distance. At first when I heard the prayers over the speakers calling them to prayer I was a bit shocked but no I think it is nice and I don't even notice it anymore.

I was here during Ramadan. Most crew take leave during this time. MOst of the bars are closed. A couple are still open so you can go out for a drink or if you have your alcohol licence have a drink at home. There are a lot of house parties. Or take it as a month off from partying.

During this month you will have to cover up. eg T'shirt sleaves instead of singlets. No short shorts. so they at least are near your knees. No drinking, eating in public. I went to the mall and I was thinking that everthing would be shut in the foodcourt but there were still some take-aways open they just had a cover near tem so you were covered from the public. Plus they will deliver everthing and anything in Dubai so you can get food delivered. If you want to be completly lazy you can call your local supermarket and they will deliver your milk and bread, no charge.

Once the sun goes down everything is open so you can go out for dinner then and everything is really busy. Dubai is a muslim country so you have to respect their religion. If you have foreigners moving to live in your country you would respect them to respect your cultures so it goes both ways.

I have not had a problem with the locals. Some of the taxi drivers are really funny and love having a chat. Everyone is willing to help you. Yeah I guess sometimes they look at you when you are walking but just ignore it. There is no use making a deal of it.

I say come to Dubai, The flying is great. I love living in Dubai and if it doesn't go well with you, you can always leave. Before I came I read everything about Dubai. So search the internet. A great book is the residence guide to Dubai by Lonley planet. It has everthing in there and is very useful.

If you just want to fly maybe fly for an airline in your country but if you want to fly all over the world, meet new people and have great experiences come to Dubai!!!

Letsfly

OzyOS
11th Nov 2006, 09:51
Actually AnA, just noticed your date of joining was 13th Oct (last month!). Personally I dont believe that under 1 month is even close to enough time to give EK and Dubai a fair chance to show you its better aspects, especially since you arrived during ramadan! (would have made your arrival that much more stressful) Like I had posted before, these things truely take time. Its a shame because you seemed so excited/positive towards your new adventure and had gone to alot of effort to secure the job (incld. medicals & costs etc) also not to forget the effort to move as well. Guess we all make big decisions at different paces. Good knowing that you are happy now though.
Letsfly, thanks for your post, its good to hear another side of the coin :)

mother hen
11th Nov 2006, 10:17
hi all,
as I mentioned before, my daughter has been in Dubai since Sep 8th. She was there all through ramadan, in fact it took up most of her training. They never stopped her eating during the day, but asked them not to eat in front of the people who were fasting, which to me is quite acceptable! She didn't mind the heat, being from england, she was quite happy to get in the heat! I have spoke to her alot, and know it's took a while for her to settle in, but I know she is a lot happier now she has moved into her permanant accomodation, with a lovely girl who she shares with. Also alot of the friends she made during training have also moved in, so that helps. She wasn't sure about Dubai when she first landed, and even now it still gets her down now and then( attitude of some of the men) but she is the sort of girl who can handle it! I don't think she would have missed this experience for anybody, and was sort of prepared for the differences between england and dubai(although you can never be 100% prepared), before she left.
Obviously, as I said before, it isn't for everyone, and if you are truely unhappy then it's best to cut your losses and go home.

What ever anyone chooses to do, I wish you all the best of luck, whether in Dubai, or at home!
Mother hen.

emirates_girl
11th Nov 2006, 21:08
Hi everyone,

Can someone give me advice...I am arriving in Dubai as a new emirates recruit and have that one day before I start training. Do i need this day to set up bank accounts and get a phone and laptop etc...or do Emirates assist us with this in our training ? Also is the weekend Thursday/Friday in Dubai or Friday/ Saturday....I have had heard both and wanted soem clarification.

Thanks Letsfly for your view of Dubai, it has made me feel alot happier as i have started gettign nervous as my departure date is less then 6 weeks away ! I too am from Australia. I am nervous about setting up the bank accounts and a mobile phone etc ??

ps: letsfly - I am goign to the shopd today to see if I cna find that book ! hopefully I can , however like you I have ben researching Dubai on the net like mad So i fairly aware of alot of things about it now. :d

very excited :D

Emirates_girl

xinni
12th Nov 2006, 14:53
hi ozyos..

regarding the reference letter.. can 1 be from previous employer and then one from school?

helfsich
12th Nov 2006, 15:08
Everything that letsfly said in their post, is very much the same for me as well. (Well, apart from working for Qantas - I didn't fly before EK). Ramadan isn't as frightening as some people made it out to be. Yes you shouldn't eat/drink in public (and yes you can go to jail for it) but if you're not on leave you're flying on layovers anyway where you can party your heart out if you really wanted.

On a personal level, having been here during Ramadan just gave me a better idea of the Muslim crew and passengers, you think of why they fast, and have a better respect for them.

emirates_girl, they provide you with a landline phone, and a sim card can wait a few days. There's heaps of places that have them, just look out for Carrefour! Bank accounts you can put off for a month if you wanted. The advance they give you on the induction day is paid in cash, and so is the first paycheck if you haven't set up an account by then. They give you an information sheet as to what you can get on a temporary residence visa and what not. There's plenty of people to ask for help whilst in training so don't stress too much :-)

Good guide books to Dubai include the Lonely Planet guide, as well as the Dubai Explorer. The LP guide you can get anywhere, but the Dubai Explorer is only available at the big bookstores in Dubai, but very very handy. Got me through my first 3 months here, and it's been almost a year here now in Dubai!

Good Luck everyone ;-)

OzyOS
12th Nov 2006, 16:40
Hi Xinni, regarding your references I would assume that a reference from your school would be ok if you are fresh out of school and have only ever held one job? If you are still concerned might be best to give EK a buzz or shoot them an email to get the exact answer. If you havent attended the interviews as of yet, just ask your recruiters this question on the day.
Best of luck :ok:

OzyOS
13th Nov 2006, 06:32
hi all! well I have finally recieved my ticket etc for departure on the 17th :) . It was beginning to get quite funny as my friends were starting to believe that I had made the whole thing up just to continue having farewell parties!! (for the record, I ended up having three...hilarious ;) as I kept getting new start dates)......nice to know its all happening now :D

flyoneday
13th Nov 2006, 06:47
hi OZyOS

Hello, congrats on your progress. we wish you all the best in your career with Ek.
Hope to join you soon in Dubai!!!

~

FIEVAL
13th Nov 2006, 07:05
Hi there Ozy OS!!!

Awesome to hear that you have rcvd your tickets......:D its finally happening. I am due to fly 15th December, a little anxious, no really ready, but oh well, here goes nothing. Just a question, do you know how much weight you are allowed to take, when flying to Dubai????Have emirates given any indication as to weather we are allowed to exceed the 20kgs allocated to passengers???

Other then that congrats, keep in touch while you are over there, and no doubt we will have to meet up once I get there!!! Take care:O

OzyOS
13th Nov 2006, 07:23
Hey FIEVAL! Great to hear form you! I know what you mean by not feeling ready......dont think we ever do;) Emirates allow you up to 50 kilos check in when you depart (but each bag can not exceed 32 kilo's)....should be enough to pack all those lovely comforts form home!

mother hen
13th Nov 2006, 07:29
Hi all,
re: baggage allowance, ek do allow 50kg, although when my daughter left her two bags came to 67kg! They did let her take them but this was from BHX, so not sure about other airports. The lady at check in did telephone and ask though, don't know what we'd have done if they'd said no!!!!

OzyOS
13th Nov 2006, 08:26
Gosh Mother Hen, I know what your talking about! Its great that EK looked after your daughter so well ,otherwise $$$$$. Usually the tollerance level of the airline depends firstly on your check-in staff at the time, basically if they are the type of person to help out and bend the rules a little or not, so thats the first wall to jump, next is how heavy the flight is, this depends on how many pax they are carrying, fuel and weight in the cargo-hold. Weather also comes into the loading as well, depending on the expectant weather (en-route and on arrival) will determined if extra fuel needs to be placed on for holding pattern, diverts etc. Load Control and Dispatch control these issues.

Your daughter would be well into her flying now, and Im sure she is loving it :ok:

I mostly wanted to put this info in for anyone who didnt understand the reasons behind baggge restrictions and was basically curious??? ;)

Thank you to flyoneday as well for your warm wishes....hope everyone has a smooth transition!

mother hen
13th Nov 2006, 13:15
Yes, my daughter has done several flights, the best being Mauritius! She is hoping for a BHX though, just so can can come home to visit!

EK let her check in through business class, at BHX there is only economy and business, the queue for economy was huge, and if business had not been full they would have upgraded her on the flight too!! She said the cabin crew kept bringing them(there were 2 other girls also) strawberries and champagne.

I really hope you have a good flight and manage to settle in without too much fuss. As I mentioned before, it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you never give it a go you will always be wondering what if!!

And always remember.....if you hate it you can always come home. If you ever bump into my daughter please say hello.(although I doubt it very much)

Have a safe flight, and the very best of luck to you,
mother hen.

Casablanca85
13th Nov 2006, 16:00
Hey Guys!!!! I also made it through at Lufthansa!! today I had my final interview and the medicals and everything was fine!! And the opportunity to stay with my family and to earn nearly the double what EK gives is much more better! LH is one of the biggest airlines in the world and they fly to any country! But I wish you any success with your applications for EK and for those who are joining the best work conditions!!

Best regards and may be we see each other at any airport:-)

mother hen
14th Nov 2006, 09:56
just thought I'd let anyone interested no, my daughter has got her first real longhaul flight today, she is flying from Dubai to Singapore, then onto Brisbane, from Brisbane to Aukland, that's a turnaround though. Then back to Brisbane, from Brisbane back to Singapore then back to Dubai. 9 days in total! I don't know who's the most excited, her or me!!!

She's been there about 2 months and has already visited 8 different countries(although hasn't stayed over in everyone).

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear or flying out soon,
mother hen.

Letsfly
14th Nov 2006, 12:28
Hi,

Out of Aus you are allowed 60kg. Mine was over! Try not to be though as if some check in people may not be so nice. You will probably have other people from your open day as well.

Oh and the crew may not know that you are starting if they haven't read their list so after the service go down to the back galley and introduce yourself.

My best layovers in the first 6 months have been:
Vienna, Frankfurt, Bangkok, Seoul, London, Kenya, Tanzania and I have a Sydney Christchurch at the end of the month so I get to go home.

As I arrived in June they gave us 16 days annual leave that we would have accrued in the 6 months so I got to home for two weeks last month! We had to use this by the end of this year.

You normally get 30 days a year. You have to use 15 in the first 6 months but you can use them in a block on minimum 5 days.

Mother Hen..you sound just like my mum! She gets just as excited as me...maybe even more as she use to be cabin crew to!!

flyoneday
14th Nov 2006, 13:14
hey Letsfly
i got excited to read that you enjoyed staying over Nairobi.This is home!
Gosh,at times i read about you guyz who have made it through and are working for EK and i get emotional.I wonder when my time will come.
I have not been successful on two assessment days ...................never went through even the first stage!

i want to fly and i want to fly for EK.
i pray that they will be recruiting in Nairobi this december as my 6 months will be over then.i pray to get an invitation but more so, i pray to get the job.

guys dont think am a cry baby i just want to work for EK so badly.
You know what,one day i will!

demirs9
14th Nov 2006, 13:33
Hi Guys,

I have just received an invitation letter for the cabin crew position interview on december the 2nd but there is something i need to ask you...
i have never worked as a cabin crew so i do not know much about phisical conditions to be a cabin crew,i am male,i have no medical problems except for being a little fat,i mean i have a little extra baggage :) if i do not comply with the phisical conditions i will not attend the interview because it is going to cost me in vain...
let me tell you about guise,my height is 176cms,my weight is 110kgs,since i used to be a body builder,i look like a boxer,do you think that i will be eligible to be a cabin crew?

Thanks in advance...

flyoneday
15th Nov 2006, 04:30
hey demirs9
how are you.
In my opinion,even though its going to cost you to go to the intterview,i think you should go.
If you dont go,you might have the feeling of "What it i went" and that will not be good.
Try you chance,it might be the best cash you ever spent.

P/s I hear EK has a mixture of various guyz,some super slim, others not so slim!

~

OzyOS
15th Nov 2006, 05:58
Hey demirs9, I completely agree with flyoneday "if you never go, you will never know" As far as I am aware, EK just want you to be within the healthy range with your BMI. Do your best to dig deep and give it a shot, because its times when you think you dont have a chance, that life proves you wrong and the next thing you know is that your packing your bags getting ready for your start date!! :ok:
Thank you to Mother Hen for your warm wishes as well ;)

pramugari
15th Nov 2006, 06:24
Did anyone attend the open day in Sydney last weekend (11 Nov)? just wondering about numbers on the day and if any of the selection/group exercises have changed?

OzyOS
15th Nov 2006, 06:32
.....to add also demirs9 about the BMI, dont get too stress out about it. I myself am considered underweight by the BMI, but I eat like a horse and have a very healthy lifestyle (I just have a small frame and natural fast mentabolism. If I was within the BMI, it would be from me forcing my weight up to that, which would mean me stopping exercising and eating any and every fatty food in sight, and thats not natural for me...I'd get sick!) and EK have accepted me without any questions. The BMI is not alway accurate for everyone, its only a general rule of thumb. If your out of it by a few kilos, yet remain healthy, you have nothing to worry about ;)

Nemo24
15th Nov 2006, 07:13
Hey OzyOs,

Wow... you are heading off real soon! What are you packing? I imagine it would be hard to decide what 50kg of possessions to take! Do they require you to take along alot of business attire and cosmetics? Just curious :)

I've just completed my medicals...now to hear the "yay" or "nay" :bored: Wish it were a perfect life and i got an answer back tomorrow :)

OzyOS
15th Nov 2006, 07:25
Hey Nemo24! Great to hear you have completed your medicals:D give it a few weeks, as it really does take that long to hear back, but Im sure you are fine (you would know before you sent them in if there were anything for you to worry about;) ). Ive done all my packing (phew!) Tried to weigh my bags to get an indication and all seem's well (hopefully!!). You do need to pack some business attire, I threw in a black suit and a few shirts, not much else as Im pretty sure you get your uniform within you soon arriving. Im just taking my general cosmetics also, which Im sure will be fine. Keep posting on your success when you hear back from EK and hopefully will see you soon over there :ok:

cirrus17
15th Nov 2006, 09:57
...the reply from medicals.... technically I have a "fly out" date of 29th dec, though obviously have been told this is just temporary and that I haven't been formally accepted yet....:ugh:

Just wanted to say, Mother Hen, OzyOs, your posts on here have been fantastic, keep them up!:D
It's great to hear about all the nitty gritty stuff such as packing and makeup and all the 101 things that no-one else ever talks about!!

question tho- what is the milk out there like???!!!

flyoneday
15th Nov 2006, 10:57
Hello my fellow Ppruners!

First of all,lemmi say i love this forum.
well,i could not wait to get to the office and write this to all yah!

A few minutes ago i was at the Airport (my office has various clients there). When i was coming back to the office..................that was when i saw it!
EK landing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I looked at it n i thot "there goes my future office!"
Oh boy,i think am nuts now.
guyz,please pray with mi that i get the job soon!

To OzyOS,cirrus17,Nemo24, Congrats on the far that you have gone and we wish you well till you all land in Dubai..........we need to do Pprune bashes when we get there;).

Casablanca85- yeah,no place like home, i wish you all the best in whatever decision you make.

~

Sta_Power
15th Nov 2006, 11:08
Hello again!

Libran, Nemo & OzyOS - thanks a bunch for your feedback on the dress issue. I am on my way to getting it done for it to be ready by the 25th of November!

I am so glad to hear that so many of you have made it into Emirates so soon!

All those who are still trying to get through the door to EK , dont give up!

Please pray that all goes well next week!:)

OzyOS
16th Nov 2006, 09:04
Hey guys!

Well finally, I am heading off very early tomorrow morning :O

Best of luck to everyone who is currently going through the recruitment process and have a smooth transistion to the others who are shortly following:ok:

Will do my best to keep up the posts, although will be pretty snowed under with the ground school :8 but sure once Im through will always be happy to help :p

Cheers to eveyone and thank you for their well wishes!
OzyOS

mother hen
16th Nov 2006, 09:34
Just would like to wish you the very best of luck. I really hope it's going to work out well for you. As I've mentioned before, my daughter had her good and bad days, but even at her low points i know she wouldn't come home until she'd given it al least 6 months. At the moment it's a very good time for her(she's in Brisbane as we speak) and even though you might get a few not so good flights, the good ones do happen as well!

Have a safe flight, try not to get too upset(I know just how your family is feeling), and if you ever bump into my daughter please say hi!

Lots of luck,
mother hen.

OzyOS
16th Nov 2006, 10:14
Thank you again Mother Hen, your words are very kind.

My husband has been very attentitive today, he is making me dinner as Im writting!(Bless his heart, cant cook to save his life, but earns many brownie points for trying!) Lucky for us though we will be able to see each other on a regular basis as the airline he flys for does Dubai trips regularly, this made my decision to pursue Emirates all the more easier for me, I have been very lucky.

Great to hear that you daughter is doing so well! I have already been living abroad for many years now, so I can say she is really doing the right thing by riding out the not so good times, as its all part of the 'settling in process', she sounds like a good girl with her head firmly on her shoulders and with that, will go far in her chosen career as Cabin Crew :ok:

Take care
OzyOS

flyoneday
16th Nov 2006, 10:38
Sta_Power
hello,You will be in my prayers.
Will you be going for assessment this weekend?
I wish you well and please do keep us posted.
Bet you have enough advice from the forum huh?

OzyOS
Hey, the time has surely come!
Congrats..u have come a long way! we ppruners all wish you a safe trip and u r right,u r lucky!
please do keep us posted on how you fair on.

bye guyz.

~

mother hen
16th Nov 2006, 12:32
thank you for the kind words you said regarding my daughter, not sure whether you will get chance to read this before you leave. She is pretty much as you described. It was hard for me at first when she left as she had only gone 21 in February of this year, and this was the first time she had ever left home(and my first child to do so). I wouldn't have stopped her though as I knew it was what she really wanted. She wanted the chance to live abroad and see the world while she was young and didn't have any commitments, and what better way than to join a company who pays for you to do so!

Once again, congratulations and all the very best,
mother hen.

FIEVAL
17th Nov 2006, 02:58
Hi there fellow "pruners"

Is there anyone here flying to Dubai 15/12/06?

Thats my departure date, and I thought I maybe lucky enough to be travelling or meeting up with one of you guys on the way???:O

expatula
17th Nov 2006, 13:28
Hello there, guys and gals! I just would like to know how long do you stay during layovers in different places/countries? Do you get the chance to go out for some sightseeing, or do you just hole up in the hotel?

Thanks for any info...

Striving2BFA
20th Nov 2006, 04:40
Hi,My question is directed to those who are working for Emirates. Just wondering how many open days did you attend before being successful?I have attended 3 with no success after the screening session, and I'm wondering whether I should take that as a sign to give up. Any response would be much appreciated.Many thanks. :-)</p>

emirates_girl
20th Nov 2006, 05:30
Hi !

Where is Australia are you from ? I am from Brisbane. I got through in the first open day in October and fly out December 22. But do not give up !!.
My Advice is: Look immaculate, do your hair and make up like an FA (Bun or french roll) , keep smiling, be friendly and watch your posture.
in the group activities make sure you speak, put across some good points, do not interrupt rudely but do not dominate in the group. Good luck with it all !!!

emirates_girl

flyoneday
20th Nov 2006, 06:05
hello Striving2bFA
well,i know you directed to question to EK crew but lemmi give you my opinion even though am on the same boat,been assessed twice n not succedded yet.
please dont give up.it is this struggle that will make us appreciate the job more when we finally get it.
see you in Dubai soon............God willing.

~

OzyOS
20th Nov 2006, 15:37
Hi guys!

In Dubai and loving it! Just worte a long post,but when it came time to actually post it, it blanked out!!!

So its going to be a short one now.

I have easily settled in and have found this place to be fantastic! The shopping is excellent, the selection from food to clothing amazing!!

Induction has been enjoyable,but the real work begins this Thurs...so Im getting ready to study like mad!

As far as annoyances goes.....havent ran into any and as I sometimes say...ignorance can be bliss;)

Best of luck to everyone in the process, do your research...then take the plunge!!:ok:

Will write more another time!

Nemo24
20th Nov 2006, 23:15
Hello,

We're all here to pool info together so dont worry about thinking you sound annoying!!

Not too sure that Globals & Opens differ much in format- perhaps seeing as Globals are invite only the turnout could be less, therefore granting you more time with the recruiters. I imagine group activities, the videos, questions and the waiiiittting will be the same!

Cash- as far as I am aware, we receive an allowance to tide us over for the month or so where we are learning and getting the practise. Our accomm is all provided for which is good. It really depends on how much you like spending I imagine; I am probably going to take USD$1000 but perhaps this is something that OzyOs :) can clarify when she posts next :)

References- I dont think it matters if you have not worked properly before or only had 1 job, so long as you are able to show them on the day that you are a team player, responsible and enjoy people contact.
I think a good family friend, a pastor/priest, school teacher, contact from work experience, etc should suffice. Definitely dont worry about the references yet!! Just concentrate on making an impression on your Global/Open Day.

Best of luck!

Nemo24
20th Nov 2006, 23:29
Gday OzyOs!

Really great to hear you actually over there in Dubai!! And taking to it like a duck to water :)

Hope you are able to continue with the posting, giving us the insiders view of what to expect....I am waiting for Dubai to approve my medicals and hopefully that will be by the end of next week :ok:

Perhaps you could touch on these issues in your next post: ;)

How many people started with you? And are they nice?
How is the accomm like?
Are the recruiters nice?
How much money do you advise to bring
Have you got your uniform yet?
What's your schedule like thus far?Cant wait to get there....this waiting is so tiresome:zzz:

emirates_girl
21st Nov 2006, 00:00
Hey !

you are finally there ? I am with all the questions Nemo24 asked. We are both flying out same day !

Ozy - are you in the batch with an aussie girl called Dana ? she goes to my uni and started her induction on Sunday too.

Nemo - I am also taking approx AUSD $ 1200 with me. I hope that is ok ? I heard we have to pay back that advance pay we get at some stage ?

4 more weeks from tomorrow ! :D

emirates_girl

FIEVAL
21st Nov 2006, 00:17
Hi there everyone!

OZY OS - Way to go mate!!!!:ok: Awesome to have someone over there, that give us a little inside information! Pity your post didnt come up but never to worry you must be one of the first PPRUNERS that has emailed us immediately after arrival....we are so lucky. Good to hear that things are working out well, as as NEMO24 said taking everything like a duck to water! Not that I had any doubts!.....well take care and when possible give us an update on how things are going. Hope to hear from you soon, and I will catchup with you in Dubai when I get there just under a month to go now!:O

NEMO24 - Hi there! When is your departure date, I actually thought that you were over there already........

WANTTOFLYHIGH - You will have to submit 2 references! If you have only ever had one job, your best bet is to get a reference from maybe your high school or college professor. There was a girl in our intake that faced the same problem as you, she ended up getting a reference from her college professor - but still go along to the interview, because you will be able to clarify whats acceptable with the recruiters:ok:

STRIVING2BFA - Dont give up, I had 2 girls in my intake that were on their 4th attempt!:eek: Unfortunately they didnt make it in, but the moral of the story is that they didnt give up hope;) As for myself I was fortunate enough to get in first go....but stay positive!

FLYONEDAY - Hi there, you have such an awesome attitude! I love your positive outlook, we are privilaged to have such positive person on our forum!:D

expatula
21st Nov 2006, 01:14
Seems to me you have no layovers at all...

flyoneday
21st Nov 2006, 08:49
Fieval
now,you want to move me to tears? i was really touched by your last post and the comment you made about me.i really appreaciate you warmth................no wonder EK gave you a job!:p
anyway,i mean every word i post in this forum.
we will meet in Dubai boys n gals!we must be patient ......its like a butterfly....you cannot catch a butterfly when you chase it,but when you remain calm,the butterfly will come to you and rest in your hands.
God bless you all n may our dreams come true.
p/s: Ek are coming to recruit in my town in December,,,i pray to get invited and the the job!

OzyOs
thanx heaps for posting so soon on arriving inDubai.Please do keep us posted.

Expatula
I guess we have not had an EK crew log on fr some time.Dont worry you will get an answer to yor question soon.But am triple sure EK crew do have fantastic layovers.maybe if you can go through the forum,you could get some places they do layovers.

~

mother hen
21st Nov 2006, 09:43
Hi all, mother hen here(again), not sure if any info i have to give helps, can but try though!

About layovers, I'm sure ek crew can be of more help than me, my daughter though, as I've mentioned before, has been with ek for just over two months now. She has had mainly turn around flights with the exception of Mauritius. Last Tuesday though, she was on airport stand bye, and got called to do a flight.....9 day trip. She flew to Singapore, spent 1 day there, then on to Brisbane 2 days there, then a turn around to Aukland and back to Brisbane for another 2 days. Finally flying back to Singapore 1 more night there before finally flying back to Dubai! This has been the best trip so far for her, and she has had a wonderful time. This has paid off for all the hard work during training, and goes to show it doesn't matter how long you've been there you still get a chance to do all sorts of flights!

All my best wishes to everyone,
mother hen.

helfsich
21st Nov 2006, 11:49
How many layovers you do is dependant on whether you are on reserve, and also how well you bid for flights that month. If you're smart with the bidding system, you can avoid undesirable flights, and desire flights home etc.

I joined EK in December last year, and have only had one turnaround since June. Best layover for me is a toss-up between Sydney-Christchurch and the Osaka flight :-) My first month of flying with EK I had a Birmingham flight, a London Gatwick, and a Frankfurt. I also managed a flight home within 2 months of flying.

So all is not bad.

expatula
21st Nov 2006, 15:40
thanks mama hen and helfsich! it must be pretty exciting to work with emirates! :ok:

FIEVAL
21st Nov 2006, 19:04
Hi there!

HELFSICH - Thank you for the information regarding layover flights! Can you explain a little more about the "bidding system"? Are the flights generated via computer! Are the longhaul flights less desireable? Questions....questions...questions! I guess I am trying to get a heads up prior to getting over there!;)

FLYONEDAY - You are most welcome.....December! that is not far away looks like we will be seeing you in Dubai very soon!;)

Phaedra
22nd Nov 2006, 06:02
Hi all,
I have been through all the interviews and have been successful in securing a position with Emirates. I leave Thursday Nov.23. Anyway back to the questions. First interview was all about making sure you were tall enough, had your resume and then wait. Then you go into a room and one on one you are asked things like why emirates, what languages do you speak read write, do you consider yourself a global person, if you described yourself what would be one negative and one positive attribute about yourself that the interviewer would remember. How would you cope living away from family and friends etc... For the second interview is where you get grilled. There are several rounds of questions all in groups slowly narrowing down the numbers. They are all timed questions like do you think alchol and smoking should be banned from media and why. The group must all come to an agreeance together. You have about 15-20 minutes. Don't be too pushy, interrupt, talk over others or take charge without allowing others to share their ideas as well. Be clear and precise and never look at the recruiters. Make sure to be watching your fellow group members. Sit up straight, smile or laugh when appropiate and dress appropiately as well. Another question was what attributes would you need for staff when setting up a family friendly restaurant then put them in order of importance and explain why. For this question it is best to set up a spokesperson by nominating someone. This shows you work well in a team. Well I hope this helps and anymore questions anyone has I'll answer the best I can.:O

cirrus17
22nd Nov 2006, 10:19
I think the format of the interview questions must vary from country to country- I am from the uk, and our interview process was spread over 2 days- just waiting for reply back from dubai re.: medicals.... fingers crossed peeps!!

anyway, in the uk interviews, we had one group exercise, designed to show, as stated by Phaedra, your ability to show command of a group, yet know when to listen; to smile but also be able to put forward your ideas... it's all a balancing act in being determined but polite.
Then people were told they hadn't got through and left.
Next, another group interview, again, another exercise designed to show our communications within a group.
More people then told they had not got though- I swear, it was like being on pop idol!

Finally, a psychometric test- you can't revise for this, you can't cheat, and there are no wrong answers, it is simply designed to see what kind of person you are- chatty, quiet, a leader, good at listening..... they just want to make sure you're not nuts!!!

THEN..... everyone sent home for the day, and we had to come back on the following day for the final interview- which covered the aspects Phaedra spoke of- how would you adapt to living abroad etc- good if you can show you've lived away from home and not gone to pieces!
Why you want to work for ek- pretty obvious question again!!
and the basic interview ques of how you have dealt with an angry/stressed/emotional situ at work etc etc.
Just prepare for it as you would a normal interview.

Good luck!!
And oh- mother hen, if you're reading this- my mother has become enamoured with your posts too, and is now a huge fan of yours also! xxx

mother hen
22nd Nov 2006, 10:52
Hi there, thank you for your kind words. From what my daughter told me about her interview for emirates, she also said it was like being on pop idol! How they kept eliminating people after each round. Unlike you however, she had to go back 1 week later for her final interview, both taking place in London. Can't be of any help though regarding the actual interview, as I can't remember now what she said about it.

Good luck, to everyone,
mother hen.

emirates_girl
22nd Nov 2006, 11:05
Wow - Canada's process was so different.

CIRRUS17: I am from Australia and our process was exactly like yours. I agree ! It felt like being on Idol...it was awful cause you would get so excited cause your letter said "congratulations" when the girl/guy you had made good friends with got sent home. So many people had flown from all over the country to not even make it past the first stage. It is crazy !

But we are through so it is all good ! This time next month I will be on my plane to Dubai :D

People keep telling me that I will get not very good destinations for the first year, but Motherhen , your daughter has already got the 9 day haul , that is great! I cannot wait to see all the wonderful places around the world !

emirates_girl

OzyOS
22nd Nov 2006, 14:29
Gday OzyOs!

How many people started with you? And are they nice?
How is the accomm like?
Are the recruiters nice?
How much money do you advise to bring
Have you got your uniform yet?
What's your schedule like thus far?

Hey all!!

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts! You are all fabulous!!

Oki-doki! lets see if I can help out some with your Q's (today was a bit of a breezy one, so I actualy have some what of a brain left to type!!)

You are placed in a large group of around 50-60 abinitio's (beginners) then that the group is broken down into smaller groups of around 10-15 people in each group. And so far everyone has been getting along very well (thankfully!!)

I have been placed into my perminant accom. so I am very lucky! Others have been placed into temp, which seems fine! my acom, is great and I have a lovely flat mate.....talk about well matching, our dogs even have the same names!!! lol!!

The recruiters are great (so far....although the hard work hasnt really began yet, thats tomorrow!!) but even the few that have come across as a bit tough, I have got along fine with. Just do as they ask and its a piece of cake!

I took with me around Dhr 900. This was to get me through the first 2 days and I had plenty left over. You can not exchange money on a friday when you arrive (or alteast its very difficult, but most major shoping centers will have exchange places for use any other day) Sunday is when you would usually begin your induction (arrive on a fri or sat) and its this day you should (we did) recieve Dhr 2500 (500 as a gift, 2000 pay advance)

I have my uniform (wore it today first time!) you should be in it within 3 days of your induction starting, so I only needed one suit and 2 business shirts to get me through until the uniform.

Schedule has been fine (as its only induction) but there is very little spare time to yourself and lots to learn about how the country/city itself opperates (they dont use addresses here for starters, places are determined by landmarks!!) You will also find yourself running around to get your mobile/cell sim's set up etc.

So there you have it! Hope it has helped some?? Oh and yes I think emirates girl asked if I was in the same group as D, and the answer is yes just diferent batch (and we are pretty good friends already, as we went through the interviews together! So I'm looking forward to meeting you soon ;) I wish you a safe and happy flight!)

I will try to keep posting, but as we start the real work tomorrow, maybe not as frequently as I will be hitting the books hard :8

Take care guys :p
p.s before you come over make sure you stock up on your sleep, as with everything going on in such a short amount of time, and your body clock adjusting, I think your brain goes into a bit of overload and a number of us have been having trouble getting to sleep....but starting to regulate now!

Nemo24
22nd Nov 2006, 23:56
Wanttoflyhigh:

What everyone has mentioned is true- they really do differ from person to person. I think the questions are based on your psychometric evaluation.

These are some of the questions i was asked

* Give an example of a difficult customer, how did you handle it, etc.
* Have you ever exceeded a clients expectations etc
* Give an example of when you failed and what you learned from it
* How do you think you'll adapt to living in Dubai & what kind of things would you do to make the adjustment easier.

I really cant remember any more- it seems such a long time ago!

Just practise like you would for an ordinary job- the questions dont differ at all. There are a host of interview questions available on the net. I would print off those and practise and practise.

Also, I would advise not to talk too much. A common technique emirates are known for is the deliberate silence. After you've answered your question as succintly as possible, leave it at that. Dont fall for the temptation of having to fill in the silence!

Hope this helps. Be yourself but importantly- believe in your own capabilities. If you believe you are a shoo-in for the position, that confidence will show through and it helps!:)

flyoneday
23rd Nov 2006, 04:52
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

cirrus17
23rd Nov 2006, 17:49
Sweetie, calm down, you're stressing far too much about this!!

You will need 2 references, correct, and they do need to follow a certain wording and layout. You will also need various photos and polaroids doing.

BUT, as your interview will be in the UK, same as mine, I'm pretty much certain it will follow the same format.
When, (because I'm pretty sure you will do, you sound v keen) you get through the first two group interviews, the recruiters give you a wad of paper forms, with everything they expect you to send to them.

The final interviews are spread 2-3 days after the first group interviews. If you can gather all the items you need by then to take to the interview, great, but they fully appreciate that people are not the road runner, and give you 7 days from your final interview to send it all in to them.

There is no point in doing any of the photos or the references beforehand, because you will be wasting money should the specifications for them change since Oct when I had my interview.

Don't fret, the recruiters aim to encourage you as much as possible, they are not trying to trip you up!
You will need a reference from current employer and previous, or if no previous, then uni/college/school.

Stop panicking, take deep breaths and remember, if you're stressed, then you won't remember to smile, so keep your head up and grin like a cheshire cat!!!! xxxxxx

crazysandra
23rd Nov 2006, 19:18
Hello everyone,
I really want to be a flight attendant of Emirates even if I am ex-crew of Qatar Airways.Before QR,I was working as a cabin attendant for an enterprise airline company.I have got 2 years old airline experience.So I will attend an open day of Emirates in ?stanbul,Turkey on 2nd December.I prepared myself,my resume and even my suit.But I have got a problem.My age is 20 but when they apply for my work visa, I will be 21.But I want to attend in an interview.Actually I had the same problem at QR.But they accepted me.I read all of the interview tips and I collected a lot of information.Can you help me about my age problem?I hope everyone who wants to be a flight attendant will reach their dream.:)

flyboynath
23rd Nov 2006, 20:23
Hi All,

Just a question about references, is anyone able to tell me what the "format" should be?

It's just that my previous employer has a policy against providing written references. Which is rather standard in Australia, so if anyone else form Aus has had this problem, how did you get around it? From what I have read on here, there is no exception to this requirement.

Does it have to be on company letterhead etc as my previous manager is happy to provide one, but not on letterhead due to the "policy".

Nemo24
23rd Nov 2006, 23:18
I totally agree with Cirrus17, everybody needs to calm down in regards to references! It certainly helps to be prepared but I also believe in taking things one step at a time....worry about achieving the first goal at hand before the other problems down the track... Cirrus17 is 100% correct. Your recruiters will give you a wad of information with their specifications if you achieve a final interview. I had my Final interview on Sunday, the day after the Open day and there was no way I could get everything prepared to hand in that day. They understand this and you can courier things up to Dubai as soon as you can. If you are a good candidate they have nothing to lose by waiting for you.

Flyboynath, I'm also an Aussie and I didnt have a prob with written references. All the recruiters want is evidence backing up what you have written on your CV's etc. My previous employers (from years ago) simply wrote me a reference like this:

Dear Sir/Madam,
This letter is to confirm that_______, date of birth ____________, was employed by ________ for the period of __________ to _________. He/She was employed as _______ for the company.
Should you require further info, etc, etc.
Yours sincerely, __________-

They just need to confirm your date of birth, time frame employed by company and your position title. So really, look at it more like a confirmation of employment letter than a reference if you need to explain it to them!
However, your current employers should provide a little more detail in the reference, also outlining your duties, how you perform, etc. If your managers have a problem giving out references, perhaps you could ask somebody else in the organisation for a reference?

Hope this helps and good luck with everything! I really do understand how exciting it all feels!!

Ivana
24th Nov 2006, 00:37
Anybody joining Emirates on December 1st?

xinni
24th Nov 2006, 01:58
Hey all.. am new to this forum but have read all the posts.. i would like to say thank you so much to all who have been helping.. i gain quite alot reading all the posts! I love the way people are helping one another despite living in diff parts of the world! Hope we all can meet and be part of emirates one day!! million of thanks!

To OzyOS,emirates_girl,nemo24,motherhen,and others who have help provide information.. thank you soo much.

To those who have yet to pass the various rounds.. keep going! we will get there one day:ok:

and to those soon to be emirates crew..congrats!:D u guys have certainly come a long way!! All the best to ur new career! :)

mooguy
24th Nov 2006, 02:41
Craxy Sandra-Don't worry that you are only 20. Even though the official rule is you need to be 21 years of age to join, my friend got in years ago at the age of 20, she was an exception. I think the fact that she spoke english and german fluently, and had 2 years of nursing training under her belt, together with the fact that she was very mature for 20 helped her, so do not fret too much!:)

Yes I find it unusual how in oz (i've just got a job with Qantas casuals Iworked for emirates 8 years ago) they are so rigid about references, my god! I have flown with several airlines and companies since, and written detailed referencel letters of my work perfomance were always enough. Qantas wanted THREE telephone references for me, they called overseas and all, they spent almost half an hour on the phone to each one, asking endless questions about my good points, bad points, would they hire me again, honest to god, like the bleedin Spanish inquisition! Talk about strict, I do not undestand this.

In europe and the rest of the world, companies do not operate like this, as references are considerd important, but its more about proving yourslef once on the job. Also its easy to get someone in the company you worked for who may have been a friend to promote you to the ends of the world and more and more international companies know this.

Australia needs to catch up with the rest of the world!

mooguy
24th Nov 2006, 02:46
May I ask who were your previous employers? Was it some secret service type operation?????????:8

why on earth in Australia do companies not give written references, I really am curious about this one!

Striving2BFA
24th Nov 2006, 03:26
Hello,

I just want to say a big thank you to the people who replied to my earlier post. I really appreciate the encouragement.

You are all so right - I must not give up on my dream.

Many thanks and all the best to each one of you. :-)

charming_guy
24th Nov 2006, 05:44
Hi people ,

Hi I am from Mumbai , India Well I had been for emirates interview 2 months back and was unfortunately not selected ...I noticed the people who had prior airline interviews were given preference and they were selected , First round was a height reach round , followed by introducing the person next to you and fiinally the group discussion which i failed to crack through. Anyways I would try again and again till i succeed because if you believe in yourself and feel that you deserve to be in emirates your dream will soon become reality . Dont give up ....but keep on trying , there are many times we feel our luck was bad and inspite of deserving something we dont get that , but we forget when luck favors us and when something bad is destined to happen due to our actions , due to luck something good happens. So dont be discouraged and feel demotivated when someone else makes it through and you feel you are better still u dont get through. Be positive and post positive coments .........adios

t.na
24th Nov 2006, 07:48
flyboynath,

I ran into the same problem as you do. One of my ex-employers has the same no reference policy. I never understand the real intention behind this policy. I asked my ex-supervisor and explained to her that acquiring a written reference is very important for me, as this is part of the requirement to be considering for this job. She understood my concern and agreed that such policy is stupid, but regrets that it’s a policy that she has no choice but to follow it. Luckily, although she’s can’t provided me with a business reference, she was more than welcome to provided a personal reference for me. I was so desperate at the time and will take anything that she could offer to me. On the other hand, I wasn’t so sure about this personal letter and no company letterhead situation will satisfy Emirates requirement. So, on my day of final interview, I told the recruiter about my trouble of getting the reference letter. She suggested an alternative to me is to ask my ex-supervisor to staple her business card with the personal reference letter. This way it will work as same as company’s letterhead. I was glad that everything worked out fine on this issue.

If you really have trouble to get a reference letter from any of your previous employers, just get one from your school teachers that will work too. I agreed that taking things one step at a time. Some requirements may be altered depends on the period of your interview. Emirates’ recruiters are there to help you, any questions or concerns that you may have, you can always direct to them. They will be able to give you answers or suitable advice to most of your questions.

sugar
24th Nov 2006, 08:31
just check emirates website ..

Hi all,

Its so nice to see so many people chatting up in respect to their interests..

Im so very new to this site so hope tis message is placed n seen by the rite ppl..

Guys i ve jus put in an online application for emirates n the interview is likely to happen in my city(mumbai, india) on the 15th and 16th.. So far i haven got any invitation for the assesment:uhoh: ..though they have sent me a mail saying they would inform me if im considered..

So can any one please tell me how long does it roughly take EK to send their replies.

Im so looking forward to this..

Regards n gud luck to al...:)

flyboynath
24th Nov 2006, 09:36
Thanks Nemo24 and everyone else for the advice. I know, Australia is a very strange place regarding this sort of thing. I have no issue gaining a reference merely stating my length of employment, confirming who I am etc. We call this a "Certificate of Service", but if they want a character reference, it can only be done over the phone.

But you have answered my question, so Thanks!

mooguy
24th Nov 2006, 10:25
Oh.....so in Australia, in order to gain employment telephone references are necessary. I married an australian, and am new to living in this region. I wonder are there any other countries where 'character checks" are so vital, or maybe it's only for the aviation industry? I think this is kind of over the top, however if its the way it is down under so be it.........
I lived in Sydney years ago, and I remember-for anyone- trying to become a flight attendant (or a pilot for that matter) was always way more competitive than anywhere else, maybe that has somehthing to do with it? I find it a bit exploitative, thats all...........

flyboynath
24th Nov 2006, 10:52
It is common practice here to do telephone based reference checks. When I was travelling I was amazed at the lack of checking done. So I guess, it depends on what one is used to.

It is not specific to the industry. I don't feel it is exploitation, but like I said, I'm just used to it.

crazysandra
24th Nov 2006, 15:47
Many thanks mooguy for making me calm down.
By the way, I can speak English, German and Arabic fluently.I have a college degree about translation.But I have got a good experience of customer service and knowledge of flight safety.I hope, I will get it.I am really excited.By the way,I prepared the copies of all my certificates and my photographs.I will give all my copies,photographs and written references when the recruitment team is collecting our resumes.I think, it will be helpful.
Actually I learned from my friends working for EK ,they don't call any references only they will need two written references to add them to your files.They will check whether you were working or not,your birthday is correct or not.
There are only 8 days to change my destiny.I hope I will be a flight attendant for EK.

mooguy
26th Nov 2006, 10:20
One thing you all have in common is you all sound so very enthusiastic, and that, at the end of the day is what they want! Be genuine, warm, and whenever a difficult or unexpected question gets thrown at you which could make you feel inhibited or whatever....... just tell them, "gosh, I hadnt prepared for that, please give me a moment or two to think about this one in more detail" and remain polite, and you will do fine! :ok: