PDA

View Full Version : Job Market

shetland23
4th Sep 2006, 07:38
Just would like to know what the job market for pilots is like in Canada...

Is there a demand? or is it a struggle to land a job?

interesting read: http://jobs.aviation.ca/content/view/12/26/

wannabepilot1531
4th Sep 2006, 16:30
this link may help ya out...
http://www.diversityworking.com/canada/career/Aviation_and_Airlines/Aircraft_Pilots_and_Flight_Engineers/Pilot.html

Canadian Beech
5th Sep 2006, 12:28
It really depends on how much time you got. Westjet, Air Canada & Jazz are all hiring... but you'd be hard pressed to get on with any of them with less than 3000 hrs.

shetland23
6th Sep 2006, 01:29
Thanks wannabe and CdnBeech.

Just wanted a heads up on the job demand before embarking on training in Vancouver (as opposed to in the UK).

Are you guys students or working pilots??

oneip01
21st Sep 2006, 13:43
Shetland23

Up until about a month ago I was all set to start my training in the UK. I have only a few hours flying so I was looking at a zero to commercial course. I'm now seriously looking into the possibility of training in Canada.

Which schools have you looked at? I've been looking at Southern Skies Aviation. From what I have read there is every chance you will have to leave Canada once you qualify and therefore will have to convert to JAA. Not that this is a major problem but would want to stay out there and work.

Have you looked at all into the potential of working over there once you qualify?

Cheers, Peter

spencer101
23rd Sep 2006, 18:44
Yes job demand for pilots in Canada is good ... today...! But give the economy a chance to cool down and in about 2 or 3 yrs in typical Canadian style there will be 20 or 30 pilots for every available job. You have to look at how long it is going to take you to get through your training and try to forcast where the job market will be when you have your commercial licence. The Canadain licence is a well respected licence around the world ... but if you have the option and the legal rights to work in Europe then I would look seriously at getting your JAA first then converting it to a Canadian licence. The JAA would alow you alot more opportunities. I believe you can train for your JAA in Canada at the Moncton flight school.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

You will also be flying something much more "advanced" in Europe with 1000hrs total time than you will be in Canada.

rigpiggy
23rd Sep 2006, 22:00
try moncton flight center. you can do the cpl under jar rules, will cost you less to fly/live. yqm is great town for the ladies, and there is a direct lhr-yhz flight avoid yyz like the plague if you can