PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Between Airbus and Boeing

fly_high
9th Aug 2006, 17:22
I've always wondered how a commercial pilot chooses between training for Airbus or Boeing aircraft. Is it down to personal preference or likely job opportunities?

dlav
9th Aug 2006, 17:43
I think you would be very lucky to find yourself in a position where you have such a luxury.

Its more a case of take what your given im afraid, if your lucky to be given anything!

Its a matter of company/OPs requirements really. If they have you on an A320 TR course, its becasue they needed pilots for that fleet yesterday :ok:

Walk the line
9th Aug 2006, 17:46
When I saw this post title I looked at it, sincerely hoping it wasnt someone who wanted advice on which one to CHOOSE!! Dude - ye take what you can get. You could end up flying both at various stages in your career!
WTL

fly_high
9th Aug 2006, 18:07
I suppose I didn't phrase that question awfully well.

What I was meaning was, given a choice would people prefer the Airbus set-up or the Bowing way or do they not have a preference.

And if you've trained on, say, a Boeing 737 and then convert on to an Airbus, is it difficult to get used to the joy-stick having previously had both hands on the controls (so to speak)?

PPL152
9th Aug 2006, 18:28
It really depends on each and every individual.

Personally I'd prefer Boeing rather than Airbus, but the vast majority of airline pilots prefer Airbus (less demanding than Boeing).

Boeing is a more hands-on-job type of aircraft rather than the more poshy airbus... but still, I know an airbus pilot who says that this argument is completely wrong.

Don't worry about Airbus or Boeing... when you start flying yourself, you'll surely realise that even a small twin prop will do!! (at least in my case).

Max Angle
11th Aug 2006, 10:26
Once you have been doing it a while the type becomes far less important than the life style or job attached to it. People argue endlessly about Airbus/Boeing etc etc. but the truth is that all modern airliners are lovely aircraft to operate and do a days work in so much more important to end up in the right company, area or type of job.

GlueBall
11th Aug 2006, 12:35
..The one with four [4] motors and eighteen [18] wheels :D

skywaytoheaven
11th Aug 2006, 16:19
If I had a choice it would be Boeing, having said that, I fly the 320 and it is the nicest a/c I have hand flown, the stick is fantastic. Lucky pilots get to have a go at both.

Junkflyer
11th Aug 2006, 17:11
It all eventually comes down to the highest pay with the most time off-thats how you choose.

Megaton
11th Aug 2006, 17:17
Conversion to sidestick takes no time at all and the Airbus is generally a fairly comfortable place to spend a long day. More importantly, it has foot rests and a table for thosedelicious club meals :)

fly_high
11th Aug 2006, 23:01
An observation that's crossed my mind regarding the Airbus set-up...

If the majority of people are right-handed (and often this hand is the dominant one) and start out as a FO then they will be sitting on the right and using their right hand to control the stick.

When they become Captain and move over to the left, then they will be using a different (and possibly weaker) hand.

Does this change have any affect at all?

rhovsquared
12th Aug 2006, 00:09
I'll give my PREFERENCE IN THE FORM OF A HINT ... I AIN'T GOING :oh:

rhov :)

DBate
12th Aug 2006, 03:09

Not having done the move from the right to the left hand seat yet, I can only speak from my experience during flight training.

I am right handed, but during flight training at flight school several year ago, we used to fly the aircraft from the left hand seat (with the 'weaker hand' in my case). I had no problems at all doing this, so I think it is just a question of practice.

Most Captains I fly with are right handed, but have no problems flying the aircraft with their 'weak hand'

Regards,
DBate

Old Smokey
14th Aug 2006, 13:21
An observation that's crossed my mind regarding the Airbus set-up...

If the majority of people are right-handed (and often this hand is the dominant one) and start out as a FO then they will be sitting on the right and using their right hand to control the stick.

When they become Captain and move over to the left, then they will be using a different (and possibly weaker) hand.

Ummm....... side stick or no side stick, Airbus set-up or whatever, when I've changed from the right to the left seat in 20 or so airline aircraft with "conventional" controls, I always flew with my right hand and operated the power/thrust with my left hand whilst in the right seat, and always flew with my left hand and operated the power/thrust with my right hand whilst in the left seat. Wherein lies the problem, it has nothing to do with the "Airbus System".:confused:

Regards,

Old Smokey

alexban
17th Aug 2006, 18:26
I'm a cpt with 4000+ hrs on the 737(C&NG),and I've had to refuse a proposal from my company to go to the A320,just few days ago.I'm very sad about this,but the 5yrs/70000 euro's bond seamed a bit high for a 320 transition.I would've been tied to the company,and with a paycheck around 3000 euros/month.....what would you've done?
I love my boby ,but I would've liked to have a check of the bus.
Well,maybe the dreamliner it's next on line..:ok: