PDA

View Full Version : Memorizing airways

Kenny Rogers
17th Jul 2006, 13:36
I'm about to move up from a tower to the ACC. Any advice on how best to memorize airways, fixes, and MEA's?

Ken

niknak
17th Jul 2006, 13:38
Unless it's a very high ACC, or your last tower was below sea level, how do you move "up" to an ACC?:D :E ;)

BDiONU
17th Jul 2006, 14:12
Unless it's a very high ACC, or your last tower was below sea level, how do you move "up" to an ACC?:D :E ;)
I suspect he was talking about the pay ;)

Bd

tolgab
17th Jul 2006, 18:14
I think they are called "wild cards"

Prepare cards with the name of the airway/NAVaid/whatever on one side and details on the other. Shuffle the cards and try to tell whats on the other side of the card. Easier with two people. (helps both ways as you get to identify the airway from route points or get to name the route points from the name)

Get a map with the points and airways drawn but no names. Pick a card and try to point it out on the map.

helped me, hope it helps you.

regards

av8boy
17th Jul 2006, 19:00
Draw the map over and over and over. I always found that about the time I started to get really angry with the map, I also pretty much had it memorized. It also helped me to break maps up into quadrants and memorize it that way. Then when I moved on to learn the next quadrant, the previous one seemed friendly and familiar in comparison. Funny things, these brains...

vintage ATCO
17th Jul 2006, 19:49
I lost the plot when they gave up naming them after colours . . . . . :(

USA ATCER
17th Jul 2006, 20:22
I'm about to move up from a tower to the ACC. Any advice on how best to memorize airways, fixes, and MEA's?

Ken

Start on the first VOR in your airspace and draw the airways on only that VOR until you have them memorized and then move to the next VOR. Keep doing this and soon you will have your airspace memorized. Thats what worked for me when I worked at Kansas City ARTCC here in the states.

Dan

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Jul 2006, 20:31
Vintage ATCO

Why did we stop using colours? Life was so much more poetic when Blue 1 crossed Amber 1 but Green 1 was miles down to the South.

Sorry; thread drift.

Lon More
17th Jul 2006, 21:36
Gunson had it right, "Up the Amber one, right onto the Green one, then back on the Red one."
Simpler times, simpler controllers?

REVOLUTION
17th Jul 2006, 23:39
Is this thread a wind up?
I'm about to learn Italian how should I memorise all the vocabulary?

JustaFew
18th Jul 2006, 21:25
I'm with you there, vintage ATCO.

Long live the colours!! So pretty, don't ya think?

spekesoftly
18th Jul 2006, 22:21
The Purple ones were tricky blighters, suddenly appearing from nowhere!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
18th Jul 2006, 23:11
Exactly! (now padding out to 10 characters: hang on, wasn't Mickey Mouse a character?)

Dances with Boffins
19th Jul 2006, 15:02
Strangely enough, coloured airways went at about the same time that coloured radar screens appeared. Spooky coincidence?

What's Italian for Purple?

BALIX
19th Jul 2006, 15:42
Any advice on how best to memorize airways, fixes, and MEA's?
Ken

Why bother? They will only go and change the names of them within a year or two. I've been valid for over 20 years and still don't have a clue what half the airways that pass through my airspace are called. Just pray that there are some decent maps on your console...

Spitoon
19th Jul 2006, 16:43
How did you learn all the holding points on your airport....and all the local points that pilots seem to be able to find!?

LXGB
20th Jul 2006, 00:23
Strangely enough, coloured airways went at about the same time that coloured radar screens appeared. Spooky coincidence?

What's Italian for Purple?

VIOLA

:bored: :)

cieloitaliano
20th Jul 2006, 10:54
VIOLA

:bored: :)

Pronounced: vjola
Italian is a phonetic language so learn the alphabet and you are pretty much there.
Italy have always been in B&W BTW. Upper Blue 23 was always Uniform Bravo 23. ;)

Kenny Rogers
21st Jul 2006, 05:37
Thanks for the ideas. I think the "one VOR at a time" approach will work well for me. As for all the crazy reporting points, I do word associations in my head. Tackle one little piece at a time.

Ken

REVOLUTION
21st Jul 2006, 09:20
......Ciao!

Pierre Argh
26th Jul 2006, 11:10
Coloured Airways. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a coloured picture...? Ahh days gone by

One for all the, older slightly worn, anoraks. You might be familiar with Purple Airways, but what was (is?) a Pink Airway?

Lon More
26th Jul 2006, 21:45
The Dutch government requires that a percentage of the cost of any new public building be dedicated to the provision of artwork.
When the "new" TWR/APP block was built at EHBK around 1990 a number of coloured aluminium tubes were suspended from the ceiling of the Briefing Office to represent the Airways ( a red one, a green one, a blue one - you get the picture). The day before the official opening, somebody (no names, no pack drill) inserted a length of plain aluminium pipework into the display. Nobody even seemed to notice it, and it remained there for quite a while.Airway Alminum One