PDA

View Full Version : Varig MD-11 lost body gear?

Mercenary Pilot
26th Jun 2006, 09:49
Just seen this on airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1065342&size=L&width=1600&height=975&sok=&photo_nr=&prev_id=&next_id=

Has this been reported already? What happend? :confused:

EatMyShorts!
26th Jun 2006, 10:16
As far as I know it broke off as a consequence of a hard landing. VARIG...financially and physically doing hard landings, good luck to you guys!

Dani
26th Jun 2006, 13:33
Looks like they wanted to convert it into an "MD-11-10" :E

Mercenary Pilot
26th Jun 2006, 13:38
Thanks for the reply.

That must have been some landing! :ouch:

patrickal
27th Jun 2006, 05:34
"Cleanup on Runway 4!"

The comment under the image " Wounded" giant landing few minutes after incident in that the central wheels were lost", seems to indicate the the wheels may have come off prior to touchdown???

denkraai
27th Jun 2006, 07:26
Wow. Lucky that center gear was all they lost.It's not a "real" gear by the way, just a load bearing, weight distributing extra gear.Hardly compresses at all during a (hard) landing.In case of landing with one main not down, you're supposed to leave the center gear up, otherwise it will break:\
Sad thing about Varig going belly-up.

Flightmech
27th Jun 2006, 09:52
Just seen this on airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1065342&size=L&width=1600&height=975&sok=&photo_nr=&prev_id=&next_id=

Has this been reported already? What happend? :confused:

We had this happen on one of our own MD-11's a few years back. The thing just folded back on landing. One of the leading reasons that came to light during the investigation was under-inflation of the strut. A sad picture:sad:

Bokomoko
27th Jun 2006, 14:10
As far as I know it broke off as a consequence of a hard landing.
Buddy I'm sure you don't know exactly what caused it:cool: ... It wasn't due to a hard landing.
... by the way ctr gear broke during landing roll. Material fatigue is highly considered so far.

Busbert
27th Jun 2006, 14:54
Actually it looks more like the gland nut failed liberating the piston-axle during recoil after liftoff. A similar type of event happened on an ACA A340-300 in FRA in about 1998.

Halfnut
27th Jun 2006, 15:00
On the DC-10-30 I always thought it was real dumb of Douglas to make it where the brakes had to be released while the aircraft is being refueled. I thought an easy fix would be to tie the fuel panel power to the parking brakes. Brakes set no power to the fuel panel. I assume the MD-11 is the same way.

I wonder if the fueling issue and loosing the center gear are related?