PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Assistant advice

future atco
10th Jun 2006, 11:37
Hi everyone

Having failed the NATS apptitude tests, i've now secured an interview for an Air Traffic Assistant post at a local major airfield. :D

Although i work on a military air base and am familiar with the basics of ATC, i'm not 100% sure what the exact requirements of an assistant are, especially in the civvie world!

can anyone help??

Thanks

PS-the interview is wednesday!!!

Lifes2good
10th Jun 2006, 11:48
Good Luck with the interview. Have you had a look at the Air Pilot find out about the Airfield and any other airfields near by. Have you visited the Airfield to find out what duties are done by the assistants there? Met observing, flight briefing, runway inspections etc. Suggest you also check on the type of aircraft that fly into the airfield (companies too.).
Good luck
L2G

future atco
10th Jun 2006, 11:56
yeah,i've been onto their website-it doesnt say much but luckily i used to go out with a pilot from there so i roughly know a bit about it!!

thanks for your help tho

White Hart
10th Jun 2006, 12:12
Future atco

Is your interview for a NATS ATSA job?

Chilli Monster
10th Jun 2006, 12:19
yeah,i've been onto their website-it doesnt say much
No - not the airport website.

Have a look at http://www.ais.org.uk (you'll have to register but its free). Then go into the section for "AIP", then Aerodromes specific and it'll tell you everything about the airport from an ATC / Operational point of view

future atco
10th Jun 2006, 13:48
Future atco
Is your interview for a NATS ATSA job?

no, its with BAE i believe?

Grabbers
10th Jun 2006, 15:17
Check yr PMs

White Hart
10th Jun 2006, 21:05
future atco-
good luck with your application.

niknak
10th Jun 2006, 23:00
Make an appointment to the visit the ATC unit ASAP, you'd be an idiot not to do so and at an appropiate moment during your interview you can mention that you know this or that statistic because you picked it up when you visited the place.
You get many browny points for doing this sort of thing and many negative marks for not taking the initiative.

future atco
11th Jun 2006, 11:42
Make an appointment to the visit the ATC unit ASAP, you'd be an idiot not to do so and at an appropiate moment during your interview you can mention that you know this or that statistic because you picked it up when you visited the place.
You get many browny points for doing this sort of thing and many negative marks for not taking the initiative.

i only got offered the interview on friday afternoon and i'm working monday and tuesday and the interview's wednesday so i cant visit!?
i'm lucky that i work in air traffic at the moment so i've got a rough idea, even tho it is military

Flaps ten please
12th Jun 2006, 03:06
do they not work weekends then? sounds like a good job, I might apply myself!

ATSA_Grunt
12th Jun 2006, 11:09
A few things you might want to "Gen up on"..

Aircraft recognition is normally one you might get asked (including airline colours), try to find out which airline operate at that particular airfield. And what aircraft types.

Maybe find out something about the company... Do they operate any other airfields etc..

If you need any questions answered I might be able to help (maybe!!) post some more questions.... Good luck

Widger
12th Jun 2006, 12:23
You will need to improve the muscles in your arms..repeat after me.. lift up, remove strip from printer, move arm down, insert into holder, pass to right, move arm down, turn page in book.............................good luck by the way...good luck if you can get it...I am only jealous!

coolbeans
12th Jun 2006, 14:45
Strip printer? Strip printer?

Chilli Monster
12th Jun 2006, 20:33
Strip printer? Strip printer?
That's what you were before your ADI course - remember ;)

feinwerkbau
13th Jun 2006, 21:51
strip printers!!! What a luxury!!