PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Berlin Tempelhof EDDI

ksmith3036
29th May 2006, 00:36
I am thinking of flying to Tempelhof, Berlin - EDDI, using a private Robin Remo.

Has anyone any recent experience about flying to the airport?

If so, could you give any information about prices (fuel, landing-fees, parking-fees, etc) and the general experience of the airport? (Welcoming towards private GA aircraft? Compulsory handling? Speed and efficency?)

Appreciate any reports!

IO540
29th May 2006, 06:17
Funny you should say that, I was going to go there this morning (IFR) but cancelled. One runway is shut, ILS is shut both ways, VOR approaches are shut, all is left is NDB/DME, thunderstoms all around (bad news for an NDB approach as the ADF is likely to point towards another country if a TS is close), IMC potentially from 3000ft to 15000ft en route, freezing level down to 4000ft. I even phoned up a professional forecaster to check and he agreed with me.

Never seen so much cr*p weather at this time of the year, over such wide area.

It was closed till yesterday for some air race, no room on the apron for parking.

:O

I visited (by ground) last year. They welcome GA very much. I doubt you will get the "Gatwick £300" treatment :O

It is threatened with closure so go before they do close.

If you PM me with your email I can email you a somewhat out of date page out of the Bottlang VFR touring guide; I imagine you want to go VFR.

bookworm
29th May 2006, 08:47
Never seen so much cr*p weather at this time of the year, over such wide area.

Fairly typical on such a route at this time of year. When the wind turns NWly, the warm surface temperatures meet cold air from the N Sea and creates the convection.

If you don't mind bumping along below the base, it's not a bad day for VFR, but IFR in a non-pressurized aircraft dodging icy tops can be stressful. O2 helps.

Volume
29th May 2006, 08:52
Been there in 2002 with a Dimona Motorglider, impressive scenery, good service (Bus picks you up at the airplane), friendly people, unbelievable landing & handling fees !

Great fun that should not be missed if you can afford the costs.

BritishPPL
29th May 2006, 09:00
Originally posted by IO540.
It was closed till yesterday for some air race, no room on the apron for parking.

That "air race" was the http://www.redbullairrace.com/ - a series of heats around Europe - the home page of the site above has a video review of the Berlin heat. You've just got to see this flying - it's amazing.

The heats are shown in full on Channel 4 at about 01:00 in the morning - Friday's I think. I'm looking forward to Budapest - the Danube will be an amazing backdrop.

flugholm
29th May 2006, 10:26
There`s a new flight school at Tempelhof. I´m sure this is a strong sign that THF/EDDI is becoming more GA-friendly after all these years! (I had the pleasure of flying their PA18 D-EIUH two weeks ago. I haven`t received the bill yet, tho...`! :bored: )

Tempelhof is still under serious threat of being closed. Please show your support by flying there!

IO540
29th May 2006, 10:28
bookworm - I can go to FL180+ and have O2 but this wasn't enough :O One would need FL250 capability plus very good anti-ice for the descent, I think.

BritishPPL - what suprises me is that the ATCO told me they would have no space on the apron - the place is absolutely massive!

alphaalpha
29th May 2006, 15:45
I visited Tempelhof last month. Not expensive. Handling not needed, but you do get a follow-me to take you to and from parking. Plenty of GA around and only a few commercial flights -- including an old DC3, very atmospheric, and an airship on the grass.

A very well worth while experience, including half an hour in the tower. The controller said there were continous rumour about Tempelhof's closure, but he expected to retire there, in eight years time.

IFR was no problem at all, but I would not advise VFR under a very low cloudbase.

Don't forget your noise certificate. It will save you money.

AA.

alphaalpha
1st Jun 2006, 21:08
Concerning costs, I had a bill today, about 5 weeks after the flight, for terminal navigation services. It was only 10 euro, but ATS is not included in the landing fee at Berlin Tempelhof (and many other larger German airports).

AA.