PDA

View Full Version : Helios windscreen damage

DIRECTTANGODELTA
21st May 2006, 15:55
The HCY247 from NCL to Larnaca has just diverted to Manchester with a cracked captains screen, it happened passing FL220 in the climb and the aircraft was put in the hold at UMBEL burn off fuel at FL100. It has since landed safely at Manchester as it was too heavy to return to Newcastle.:\ :\

fmgc
21st May 2006, 15:56
Helios pressurisation problems-again

cracked captains screen

Tenuous Link.

Dash-7 lover
21st May 2006, 15:57
Pressurisation vs cracked windscreen - totally different - bit of sensationalism again...

DIRECTTANGODELTA
21st May 2006, 16:06
Sorry for the thread content, I didnt mean to sound like a Sun journalist!!:) :)

JW411
21st May 2006, 16:10
Spotter Alert;

Don't you realise that a cracked windscreen has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with pressurisation?

Windscreens on aeroplanes are very, very thick and consist of more layers than you have had hot dinners. It is not uncommon for one of the layers to crack and, apart from the fact that it gets your attention, it is a big non-event.

Farrell
21st May 2006, 16:56
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/0821229.jpg

captjns
21st May 2006, 17:17
Spotter Alert; Don't you realise that a cracked windscreen has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with pressurisation?

Not true... per the Boeing QRH

Outer pane - No Restriction

Inner pane - 5 PSI - 26,000 FT
Both inner and outer panes - 2 PSI - 15,000 FT

JW411
21st May 2006, 17:40
DCT TD:

I see that you have sensibly changed the title of this thread - thank you.
I just hope that we are not now going to get a host of FlyBE, Aer Lingus, BA, Northwest, China Airlines and QANTAS windscreen damage threads unless they really are dramatic.

The last time I had a screen go (and I have had quite a few) it was the right hand screen that went. The young F/O had never had the experience before and he had short hair. After the bang he looked just like the Disney cartoon version of an electric cat with his hair on end and I found it difficult to stop laughing.

The only serious windscreen failure that I have heard of was when the captain of a BA BAC 1-11 almost got sucked out. The whole captain's windscreen disappeared. This was caused by BA maintenance at Birmingham replacing a windscreen and using bolts that were too short.

cwatters
21st May 2006, 18:57
DCT TD: This was caused by BA maintenance at Birmingham replacing a windscreen and using bolts that were too short.

If I remember correctly it was far more complex than that. Most of the bolts were the wrong length and diameter to start with...

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_502702.pdf

Quote:

"The old windscreen, which had been fitted four years earlier, before the aircraft had been acquired by BritishAirways, had therefore been primarily
attached by bolts whichwere 0.1 of an inch shorter than those specified."

jayteeto
22nd May 2006, 16:29
The North West News reported it as a pressurisation emergency......

Spitoon
22nd May 2006, 17:11
Well, I for one, am glad that we now have the definitive answer as to how serious it was.......

levantes
22nd May 2006, 20:45
No wonder why they changing their name!

Dani
23rd May 2006, 05:11
Excuse me if I'm not up-to-date, but I was under the impression that Helios had been grounded after the other accident and since then stopped operation.

Mr A Tis
23rd May 2006, 06:31
Correct, you are not up to date. Helios has not been, & never has been "grounded". They continue to fly, however, they have painted their aircraft up as alphajet now. Still use Helios R/T callsign though.

tewkesbury
24th May 2006, 13:29
You are all second guessing this one, the truth is the crew did report their ears started popping when the screen cracked, even though it was only the outer layer that went, and that they started feeling sick, so they put on their O2 masks and descended. After much insistance form the engineers on the ground the crew finally put this in the Tech Log.