PDA

View Full Version : Another dash 8 problem?

denachtenmai
15th May 2006, 19:35
About 2000hr. tonight I heard Jersey 895, a Dash8, with a problem. Evidently he was holding at Southampton,and then decided to divert to Exeter, anyone know what the problem was? Sounded very cool, so I hope all's well.
Regards, Den.

fortuna76
16th May 2006, 04:34
There have been two reported dash-8 incidents on this forum all day, both in Britain and no reply at all. Very strange. Now as a former Dash-8 skipper I take special interest in this topic and am awaiting the outcome.

Please somebody post me something. I am dying to get the goodies! :}

JAR
16th May 2006, 13:59
Only caught the end of the transmission to the Handling Agent - something like 'emergency gear lowering handle pulled, but gear cycling by itself'.

GBALU53
16th May 2006, 14:26
Must have some more problems ,

The Exeter-Guensey-Jersey-Exter this morning was a BAE146 and not a Dash The Jersey based Dash started off with some minor problems so another bad Dash day looks in progress.

This might be just the start of the day and more to come.

Bring back the Fokker Friendships??:ok:

Irish Steve
16th May 2006, 14:39
something like 'emergency gear lowering handle pulled, but gear cycling by itself'.

I had a similar experience a few months ago (as SLF before I get abuse) on a flight heading from Exeter to Dublin, about 15 minutes out, the gear doors developed a mind of their own and started cycling asymetrically. We returned to EXT, and it was clear from the way we approached that there was uncertainty about gear deployment, it got dumped way early and we then flew an extremely long approach profile before an uneventful (long) landing.

On the basis of this report, it would appear that there is an underlying issue with either the electronics or the hydraulics of the Dash 8 gear, and it's also looking as if it's taking a while to find out what it is, and get it fixed. I guess that the operator is probably not over impressed with this right now.

It's times like this where an aircraft reliability survey might make interesting and perhaps embarassing reading.:E

Flip Flop Flyer
16th May 2006, 15:08
On the basis of this report, it would appear that there is an underlying issue with either the electronics or the hydraulics of the Dash 8 gear, and it's also looking as if it's taking a while to find out what it is, and get it fixed. I guess that the operator is probably not over impressed with this right now.

If you widened your search a little bit, to include that of one of the biggest Q400 operators (SAS Commuter) you'd find that this aircraft is continuing to produce it's fair share of "issues". I belive SAS have operated the Q400 for the better part of 5 years, and it's still having "teething" problems. Have personally had the distinct displeasure of committing aviation (as a pax) on this type, and it's awful - noisy, shaky, rattly and prone to throwing a wobler when you least need it. Couple a years ago we returned back to HAM on the 23rd of December, and let me tell there were not a single person onboard who fancied celebrating crimbo in Hamburg, lovely as the town may be. As the case was, and apparently often is, it was one of those microswitches acting up, giving a "door unsafe" message or something along those lines. On a second occasion the skipper came on the PA advising us that we'd need to divert to BLL inbound CPH from BRU. Reason, as we were told after landing, was a fire warning triggered by a mobile phone left on in the aft hold.

Am sat here counting. Belive I've paxed on the Q400 around 10 times. Twice there was problems on the ground, requiring a power down and "re-boot" with the resulting delay. Have had the "door unsafe" bit and the aft cargo hold fire warning enroute. So, in my experience (which obviously does not provide a true picture) that pile of crap has roughly a 50% chance of performing to schedule. I am, however, quite sure it's a hit with the bean counters!

Will go to great lenghts to avoid flying on a Q400. On of the worst flights ever was VIE-CPH on a Q400; 02:15 of utter misery - ears are still ringing, albeit bones have stopped shaking!

Maude Charlee
18th May 2006, 18:30
.........it's awful - noisy, shaky, rattly and prone to throwing a wobler when you least need it.......

Sorry, is this the aircraft or the crew? :}

Well, I have to admit to a certain fondness for the old beast, but then again, it does pay the wages. ;)

Sky Wave
18th May 2006, 19:35
I've travelled on FlyBe's Q400 many more than 10 times and never had any problems with technical faults so perhaps you are just unlucky. I found it a very pleasant aircraft to pax in.

SW

Cutoff
18th May 2006, 19:44
I did 8 sectors in the jumpseat, Q300, a week or so ago and not a single issue.