PDA

View Full Version : Seen from the air

Hufty
6th May 2006, 17:34
On a recent transatlantic flight as pax from the UK to the USA, we flew over Northern Canada. While looking out of the window, I saw a load of very long straight lines seeingly carved into the rock. There was snow on the ground and they were all white - looking almost like long, frozen canals. The ran kind of North - South but changed direction every few miles. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what they are?

rotornut
6th May 2006, 18:58
Seismic lines?

Wolfman
7th May 2006, 03:49
scarring from the last ice-age?

Hufty
7th May 2006, 09:07
They are definately man made - seismic lines I guess. I have a photograph I just need to work out how to upload it!

J.O.
7th May 2006, 12:10
If you go to Photobucket.com, you can store the picture and then post the link, and it will be shown in the posting.

mckrll
7th May 2006, 13:09
Had no idea what seismic lines were so found this:

Seismic lines are straight or meandering pathways, 1.5 to 7 m wide and at least 2 km long, that are used in oil and gas exploration. Unlike roads, seismic lines are not maintained as clearings, however, they may fragment the landscape, carving open areas through formerly unbroken habitats. Such clearings may disturb species that deliberately avoid open edges and may increase their vulnerability to predators. Although seismic lines do not provide the level of human access associated with roads, they may create temporary routes for all-terrain vehicles and snow machines in winter.

Andrew

rotornut
7th May 2006, 15:57
You see a lot of seismic lines in Northern Alberta because of the extensive oil and gas exploration.

Wolfman
7th May 2006, 19:26
changed direction every few miles

oops, missed that important little tidbit!:oh:

Hufty
7th May 2006, 22:02
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/Hufty_2006/P3240013.jpg

bzh
7th May 2006, 23:50
power lines or gaz line and ground crossing forcing the not so staight line.... There is a cost to all projet, and the line become the cheapest line.......

Wolfman
8th May 2006, 03:20
Yeah, I agree, I don't think seismic would be like that.. more like narrow cuts through the trees, and lots of lines, all running parallel. Northern alberta is a perfect example.

J.O.
8th May 2006, 13:46
Most likely to be power lines.

fesmokie
8th May 2006, 14:01
Boy are you people dumb! That's the BC Alberta Border.:E

Kickingpost
8th May 2006, 19:32
Looks like a pipline to me. In Northern Canada they are running all over and when it snows the trees and brush cover up the snow but the pipelines are always exposed giving your the long white line effect. Most times the lines are buried but you still have to clear a path to drop them in the ground. Then after they are in, the wonderful oil companies pay pilots to fly up and down them to make sure there arent any leaks or spills. Great way to build time; 200' over the deck for hours straight. And yes every once in awhile there are blow outs. Hope this helps...................

The Post

sepia
8th May 2006, 21:54
They're called cut lines.

Often they'll do an airborne survey first. Based on the airborne survey results they'll make cut lines doing drilling along the line. You'll see the different tracks because they're leading to areas of interest found in the airborne survey.

This isn't speculation. I've flown extensively in Northern Alberta, and Saskatchewan and have flown many industry types.