PDA

View Full Version : Airbus deck angles

Wizofoz
17th Apr 2006, 21:16
Can anyone explain why Airbus's, particularly the larger ones, approach at such a high deck angle compared to Boeings? Do they have higher incident angles, or do they approach at higher angles of attack?

Escape_Slide
18th Apr 2006, 00:14
The Airbus wing design is such that the aircraft actually flies to the ground. This improves landing and go-around stability and performance. The landing escape manouvre is enhanced.

Wizofoz
18th Apr 2006, 04:59
The Airbus wing design is such that the aircraft actually flies to the ground.

Errr....right..... So in the 737 I..errr... swim to the ground? :confused: :confused:

Volume
18th Apr 2006, 05:54
Airbus and Boeing wing design is quite different if it comes to high lift configuration. While Boeing is using tripple slotted flaps (with the upper surface of the third flap almost perpendicular to the fuselage longitudinal axis at max deflection), Airbus uses just single slotted fowler flaps at smaller deflection angle, but with very high efficiency.
So if you understand extending the flaps as virtually turning the wing relative to the fuselage (turning the zero lift angle of incidence), Boeings "turn" their wings more than Airbus, thus needing lower fuselage AoA.

Wizofoz
18th Apr 2006, 16:52
That makes sense.

Single slotted flaps would obviously be mechanically much simpler (and, indeed, Boeing went from triple to double slots on the 737-NG and (I think!!) the 777) but I wonder which is more effective?

As the main purpose of flaps is to increase CLmax,which configuration would give the greater gain over CLmax (clean)?